Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: PROGRESS Wrestling General Discussion Thread

Rebel Heart

Status
      Country                    England

Progress Wrestling PROGRESS Wrestling General Discussion Thread

Progress Wrestling are a British Professional Wrestling Promotion owed by Jim Smallman, Glen Joseph and Jon Briley that have been running shows since 2012. In the last 5 years they have established themselves as one of the top promotions in British Wrestling during this recent boom in interest in Britwres. Progress shows come in the form of monthly/bimonthly 'Chapters' that run about the same length of a WWE PPV and tend to focus on British wrestlers rather than importing talent like say Rev-Pro do.

Progress have their own streaming service which you can access here which is $7.49 per month (about £6.20 per month ) and I believe every Chapter show is available to watch on there.

Gonna run down my thoughts on their latest show, Chapter 44 - Old Man Yells At Cloud, in the next post

Rebel Heart

Status

Re: Progress Wrestling General Discussion Thread

Chapter 44 Thoughts:

- Martina certainly isn't for everyone, but well done to Progress for making her feel like a star on her entrance with the glowsticks and the Sandstorm rave vibe. There's limitations to the gimmick, it works in BritWres because no-one is on TV and so they're in control of their own censorship so she can be the Session Moth 100% but she won't be able to do the same act anywhere bigger. I thought this had enough comedy to help pop the crowd on a night that had some brutal, hate-filled matches ahead. Everyone hates the TK Cooper and Dahlia Black relationship, so seeing Martina try to disrupt that and get Dahlia off her game was pretty good. Martina's got enough confidence about herself to do suicide dives so she doesn't totally rely on the gimmick.

- Travis Banks Vs Jordan Devlin was a really weird booking decision because they must of known that Devlin was gonna be boo'd for his work in the UK Tournament where people didn't take to him at all. Travis seems primed for a babyface turn, the crowd want to cheer him but can't because he's alligned with TK Cooper and Dahlia Black, but his work is just too good at the moment to ignore and he seems 'all in' on British Wrestling. Another very good match by Banks and by the end of it, the fans had come onside to liking Devlin too chanting him to please come back.

- I'm glad the Pastor Eaver/Sebastian stuff is over now, was always the worst part of Progress shows for me. Some brutal stuff here though, credit to both men.

- Andrews Vs Strickland was as expected a great high flying match, MOTN. Not much of a story to it other than keeping the Thunderbastard winner strong for when he eventually gets a shot at the title and Strickland impressing everyone so that the crowd would warm to the idea of Strickland representing Progress over in America.

- EL LIGERO CAME OUT TO THE BOB SEGER VERSION OF TURN THE PAGE Brilliant, it meant that the fans could sing along to the song that the Origin have made them hate to wind up Cruz. Match wasn't much to write home about because Cruz is meh, but Ligero the lucha otter was great.

- Zack Gibson is still the best heel in the world. Not a fan of Sexsmith but the crowd are really taking to him as a babyface, especially against Gibson. Watch them team Martina and Sexsmith soon for an intergender match.

- The main event was chaotic and wild and I loved it. Tyler Bate dropping the Progress tag shield and then coming out with the UK title to nuclear heat was a great touch. I know some people don't like the messy situation with BSS not being filmed for Floslam shows, but the positive side to it is nights like this where it creates a unique atmosphere where heels are heels and they're hated for selling out British Wrestling. It got a little cute at times with the synchronised pedigrees and finger biting spots, I'd rather it stayed a wild brawl throughout. I think Jimmy getting the pin and title shot is the right call to make because it's hard to make a decision between Flash Morgan Webster and Mark Haskins when they're in the same boat. Jimmy being the savior for Progress against British Strong Style would just be another amazing arc in his Progress career.

[Your Name.]

Status
      Country                    UK

Progress Thread

Currently on catch up, started with 39 and the start of the Pete Dunne/British Strong Style era & I'm currently half way through 41.

Highlights so far have been:

- Riddle vs. Ospreay at 39. The hype of "perfect 10 minute match" is legit
    - In fact, Riddle becoming probably the most over American in PROGRESS history in one night is great
    - Chapter 40 is a bit of a "B" show, but still brings the goods with Dunne/ZSJ
    - SPPT vs. FSU & Nixon at Chapter 41 is such a wonderful opener
    - The triple threat tag match is a weird one. Scurll's sudden over the top face mannerisms are certainly something, but he & ZSJ seemed to have a lot of fun teaming up again.
    - In fact, with Toni Storm/Kay Lee Ray & the Wasteman Challenge, Chapter 41 is all round the best of the three shows so far. And I've still got three matches to go.

Favourite acts across the shows have been The South Pacific Power Trip, FSU, British Strong Style, ZSJ & Will Ospreay.
    Last edited by Postman Dave; 03-08-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

My favorite Indy promotion right now. I love it so much. Only things I'm not into are Pastor Eaver and the turd filled Women's Division. But there's a lot of really great stuff.

Gonna catch-up hopefully. Im behind on a few Chapters but I have some spare time this week.
    Last edited by Tennessee Nicky; 03-09-2017 at 07:22 AM.
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    People Obsessed With Nicky: RainShaker, indyfan
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

Curtain Jerker

Status

I agree, I do wish they would improve the Women's division.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

So this isn't the In Progress BTB I've been hoping for?

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

[Your Name.]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Unlikely-Dan View Post
    I agree, I do wish they would improve the Women's division.
    It's not great, but with it still being early days for the division I give them the benefit of the doubt.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: PROGRESS Wrestling General Discussion Thread

You all should be capitalizing PROGRESS properly.

Rebel Heart

Status

Match announcements for Chapter 45 - Galvanize in Manchester:

PROGRESS Championship - No DQ
    Pete Dunne (c) Vs Jimmy Havoc

PROGRESS Tag Team Championships
    British Strong Style (c) Vs South Pacific Power Trip

Natural Progression Series Semi Finals
    Jinny Vs Nixon Newell

Nathan Cruz Vs Flash Morgan Webster

James Drake Vs Jack Sexsmith

RINGKAMPF (Dieter Jr and WALTER) Vs Hunter Brothers

Probably one more to come, but two title matches and Ringkampf returning, that's a pretty stacked show for Manchester. Both title matches should be ace.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I'm almost certain Havoc and the South Pacific Power Trip (as much as I loathe TK Cooper) will win given Dunn's status with the E.. maybe. Newell is going to win the Natural Progression Series. This is one of my favorite promotions. I need to catch up. I'm currently watching men who throw men at other men.

I was hoping Riddle would be on this show. I hope they take the Atlas title off of him soon. Not really a big fan of his anymore as I feel his ego for being two years in the business is so inflated. Just my thought after hearing him on the Fightful podcast he does... random side bar I know.

[Your Name.]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    I'm almost certain Havoc and the South Pacific Power Trip (as much as I loathe TK Cooper) will win given Dunn's status with the E.. maybe. Newell is going to win the Natural Progression Series. This is one of my favorite promotions. I need to catch up. I'm currently watching men who throw men at other men.
    I forsee Havoc losing due to Essex-based interference, seeing as that feud has gone pretty quiet.

No chance Nixon wins the whole thing, think she's off to the E shortly and is starting to finish up her Indy dates.

[Your Name.]

Status

Just finished up "Life, The Universe & Wrestling"

In ring wise, it was a step back from previous shows, but the surprises really made this one memorable. It was bad enough losing BSS & Mandrews to the UK tourney, but without a ZSJ or Ospreay either the show just didn't have that one great match to put it over the top.

I take back my defence of the women earlier because the match here was abysmal. I like Windsor, but Livvi Grave was absolutely awful here. The majority of the blame goes with whoever booked this to go as long as it did, because this fucking dragged like a bitch and should have been ended a lot earlier.

Paul Robinson is a great mid card heel, just a complete scumbag with no redeeming qualities. Match with Spud was fine, but the finish sucked (A DQ after a low blow after hitting each other with belts all match?).

Both tag matches were good & served their purpose. I could get behind a decent push for Mastiff/Ligero towards a tag title shot, strike whilst this particular iron is hot.

Rebel Heart

Status

The one show I haven't seen from them in the recent shows. How was Riddle/Rampage? Seemed like the MOTN on paper.

[Your Name.]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    The one show I haven't seen from them in the recent shows. How was Riddle/Rampage? Seemed like the MOTN on paper.
    Decent enough, but not worth rushing to see

[Your Name.]

Status

Finished up Tropic Thunderbastard Friday night.

The Riots becoming regular show openers it seems. They're in a tough spot were they're perennially over but they've already had their shot at BSS so there's not a lot for them right now. Kings Of The North seem fine, not as good as some of the more recent openers but it'll do.

Thankfully, this women's match was a massive improvement over the last shows, good stuff. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but is Di Matteo related to Robbie Brookside somehow?

Simmons/Johnson was fine, Jurn could do well full time in PROGRESS.

Oh my god was Ringkampf/SPPT great. For a heel/heel match it was fantastic entertainment. WALTER's no discrimination murder of anyone on the opposing side is glorious. Hope SPPT get the tag shields at Galvanize, they deserve it.

Thunderbastard was a lot of fun, and nice to see a match with a lot of angle advancement involved. Nice to see Zack Gibson back & getting suitably destroyed by eh audience yet again I know people dislike Sebastian but I appreciate how much legit heat he gets, & how much Eaver & Sexsmith benefited from it. Happy to see Andrews get the win, I imagine his title shot happens in Orlando, having two WWE guys against each other on the iPPV would probably pacify WWE.

Main event was good, and thanks to the post match stuff the DQ didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth. Happy to see Haskins back & being treated like a God upon his music hitting. Only seen Webster on Deal Or No Deal so dunno what he's like in ring, but I look forward to seeing what he can do.

Great show top to bottom, but unfortunately it ends my current affair with PROGRESS. It's back to the WWE Network for the next month for WM, then I may move onto AAW following that. Love modern streaming services I does.

[Your Name.]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    unfortunately it ends my current affair with PROGRESS.
    Regretting this already

Rebel Heart

Status

Chalk WALTER up for another great match then; Their match at 16 carat was a hoot. I think WALTER takes it too, fits the role of ATLAS champion more and comes after the EVOLVE Vs PROGRESS stuff on mania weekend which I'm sure is the reason why Riddle still holds that belt.

[Your Name.]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Chalk WALTER up for another great match then; Their match at 16 carat was a hoot. I think WALTER takes it too, fits the role of ATLAS champion more and comes after the EVOLVE Vs PROGRESS stuff on mania weekend which I'm sure is the reason why Riddle still holds that belt.
    This match is on this Sunday's show, so it'll be before the US trip. Reckon we'll get Riddle/Callihan at the Orlando show which wouldn't make a lot of sense without the Atlas title up for grabs IMO. Would be up for WALTER winning the title ASAP though.

Whole show looks a hoot too.

Dunne/Haskins
    Origin/Origin Banter Edition
    NPS: Dahlia/Storm
    Sexsmith/Banks
    Haskins/Dieter Jr.

And a tag title match & another match on top of that too. Show's looking stacked.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I wish I could be in the crowd for PROGRESS VS EVOLVE.

Rebel Heart

Status

Happy 5th Birthday PROGRESS~!

Chapter 46 is STACKED AS FUCK. On top of the matches that Dave mentioned, there's now British Strong Style defending the Shields against The Hunter Brothers, Mark Andrews cashing in the Thunderbastard win to challenge Pete Dunne and Will Ospreay and Jimmy Havoc are meeting in a fans bring the weapons match. The show feels like their Wrestlemania with so many feuds coming to a head.

Anyway, I watched Chapter 45 - Galvanize last night/this morning and it was brilliant. I would say there's 4 very good-to-great matches on the show as well as some highly entertaining banter from El Ligerio who turned up to the St. Paddys day show drunk wearing an Irish emoji mask:
    Spoiler:

Both SPPT/British Strong Style and Ringkampf/Hunters were very good tag team matches, it's not even funny how everything WALTER touches at the minute turns into a golden match. Will Ospreay Vs Mark Andrews was a great match where once again the top rope broke during an Ospreay match; his heel work in Progress is fantastic, he looks so emotionless and dead behind the eyes which is perfect for his character development of not caring about sacrificing his body for fans now. His losing streak continues and Mandrews looks strong heading into his title match, I think he's gonna win the belt as well.

The main event won't be to everyone's tastes as it was Jimmy Havoc in his death match element, but amazingly Pete Dunne matched him for being sick and twisted in the match, what a year he is having, can't think of a more heinous heel right now. Here he was stapling streamers to Havoc's head, wrapping barbed wire around Jimmy's previously injured knee and driving it into the mat, doing his biting fingers routine with thumbtacks in his mouth, although the nastiest spot was Havoc doing paper cuts inbetween Dunne's fingers and then pouring alcohol spirits into them. I'm not big on brutal death matches like that normally, but as part of this Pete Dunne reign that's quickly becoming this generation's Summer of Punk, it really works.

A show like this just proves how deep the talent levels are in British wrestling. My only concern as the WWE UK/ITV w/TNA stuff begins to heat up as the year rolls on, will people like The Origin have to leave Progress as they are apart of the WoS relaunch or even Will Ospreay and Marty Scurll who are signed with ROH? Worth noting that quite a few people on this show had new music like Ospreay, Jinny and The British Strong Styles lads. Wonder why that is

Thread Information