Status
      Country                    England

Re: PROGRESS Wrestling General Discussion Thread

Anyone else going?

Scoundrel

Status

So Walter beat Trent to unify the World and Atlas titles yesterday. Also it was Jinny's last match in Progress (and Parker's off to Japan for the rest of the year).

I'm not there today, but it's Starr vs Devlin in the SSS16 final, and Havoc's just lost to Robbo in his last Progress match (pic of him afterwards below!)

Relentless Admin

Status

Thank god they came to their senses and went with pushing Starr during this tournament because they had zero other interesting alternatives. Either way they go they get an on paper fantastic match for their big title match of the year, but there is way more interest in having Starr win with him unsigned.

Losing Jinny might mean something if they didn't have her in the second match of every show and book the women as a complete afterthought.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

This might get some people interested in Progress again

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Should be a rad slug fest.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Relentless Admin

Status

Oh shit, Gresham and Walter back to back for Eddie. Rad.

Relentless Admin

Status

Jim Smallman is leaving Progress after chapter 100.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Jim Smallman is leaving Progress after chapter 100.
    Working full time for WWE NXT UK?
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I thought that this was the plan in general, that Progress would close up after the 100th show? Anyway, good luck to Smallman in WWE. Shame it had to be the way it was with WWE coming in on the scene and all but I guess, if WWE is your dream job, you have to do it.

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

First Defiant, now this. Sure glad I was told WWE wouldn't be bad for the UK indies 2 years ago...

Happy for Jim, working in wrestling full time was a dream of his

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Hail To The King

Status
      Country                    United States

Sad day to see Progress close it doors. Progress was prob a top indy wrestling scene for many years go back and see Havoc vs. Will O. feud was fantastic. I always loved how progress told stories how they cut promos.

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Status

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Sad day to see Progress close it doors. Progress was prob a top indy wrestling scene for many years go back and see Havoc vs. Will O. feud was fantastic. I always loved how progress told stories how they cut promos.
    Y'all need to read again, PROGRESS ain't going anywhere, just one of its owners

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    First Defiant, now this. Sure glad I was told WWE wouldn't be bad for the UK indies 2 years ago...

Devils advocate here, but in the grand scheme of things is WWE's effect on the UK indies all that bad. The fans might be slight losers that their favourite promotions don't seem cool anymore, but the wrestlers themselves are big winners in this situation. Every promotion has it's peaks and troughs, and more often than not some promotions don't end up lasting that long at all (wrestling circus just closed last weekend in the states for example), so it's not like if NXT UK wasn't a thing then everything would be great in Progress and the indies in general because Progress peaked years ago and the top talent still would of been pinched away to the top promotions. With British TV reluctant to ever put weekly wrestling shows on, and with the poor standard of the WoS show that did make it through the ITV boardroom, where could British Wrestling actually of gone if NXT UK wasn't a thing?

You're even saying in your post that you're happy for Jim because this has been his dream of his to work full time in wrestling, well that extends to Glenn and Jon too, and all the wrestlers signed up with NXT UK who wouldn't of gotten a look in anywhere else. El Ligero busted his ass for over a decade and no-one would take a chance on him, now he's wrestling on the WWE network, opening up his talents to new fans and has some financial security. I don't begrudge any of these guys taking a deal that offers them the best wage they've ever got and the chance to be more famous than they are now. Not to mention them moving away has opened the doors for other people to make a name for themselves in this country, and the popularity of the scene means a lot of our guys are pitching up elsewhere; ZSJ and Ospreay in NJPW, Haskins and Scurll in ROH, Havoc, Sabin, Gibbs and Bea in AEW, Brooks in DDT, Ridgeway in NOAH, Redmond in AJPW, PAC in Dragon Gate, all the girls that work Stardom. The shows back in 2015 might of been more fun and have more great matches on it to watch, but how many wrestlers do you think would like to go back to the way things were 4 years ago?

Maybe it's me being harsh, but when I look at the Defiant situation, them closing is on them, not WWE. They had a unsustainable business, they had infighting and a big defection and change of power, and then couldn't make themselves relevant when the likes of Will Ospreay wasn't around.

The only thing I don't like about the NXT UK thing is the attitude of the wrestlers that have took the deal, like Pete Dunne getting salty with David Starr and Mark Andrews being a douche about EVE joining up with a union. Being butthurt isn't a good look.

WAKE UP

Status

I've lived in London for 6+ years and never gone to a PROGRESS show, how shit am I.

Good luck to him, he always felt like the heart and soul of the promotion though, so we'll see how long it lasts without him.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Devils advocate here, but in the grand scheme of things is WWE's effect on the UK indies all that bad. The fans might be slight losers that their favourite promotions don't seem cool anymore, but the wrestlers themselves are big winners in this situation. Every promotion has it's peaks and troughs, and more often than not some promotions don't end up lasting that long at all (wrestling circus just closed last weekend in the states for example), so it's not like if NXT UK wasn't a thing then everything would be great in Progress and the indies in general because Progress peaked years ago and the top talent still would of been pinched away to the top promotions. With British TV reluctant to ever put weekly wrestling shows on, and with the poor standard of the WoS show that did make it through the ITV boardroom, where could British Wrestling actually of gone if NXT UK wasn't a thing?

You're even saying in your post that you're happy for Jim because this has been his dream of his to work full time in wrestling, well that extends to Glenn and Jon too, and all the wrestlers signed up with NXT UK who wouldn't of gotten a look in anywhere else. El Ligero busted his ass for over a decade and no-one would take a chance on him, now he's wrestling on the WWE network, opening up his talents to new fans and has some financial security. I don't begrudge any of these guys taking a deal that offers them the best wage they've ever got and the chance to be more famous than they are now. Not to mention them moving away has opened the doors for other people to make a name for themselves in this country, and the popularity of the scene means a lot of our guys are pitching up elsewhere; ZSJ and Ospreay in NJPW, Haskins and Scurll in ROH, Havoc, Sabin, Gibbs and Bea in AEW, Brooks in DDT, Ridgeway in NOAH, Redmond in AJPW, PAC in Dragon Gate, all the girls that work Stardom. The shows back in 2015 might of been more fun and have more great matches on it to watch, but how many wrestlers do you think would like to go back to the way things were 4 years ago?

Maybe it's me being harsh, but when I look at the Defiant situation, them closing is on them, not WWE. They had a unsustainable business, they had infighting and a big defection and change of power, and then couldn't make themselves relevant when the likes of Will Ospreay wasn't around.

The only thing I don't like about the NXT UK thing is the attitude of the wrestlers that have took the deal, like Pete Dunne getting salty with David Starr and Mark Andrews being a douche about EVE joining up with a union. Being butthurt isn't a good look.
    I'll always be in support of the guys now getting paid a lot more, and hopefully working a lot less and getting the additional benefits that come with it. Don't begrudge them that for a minute.

I will always judge it from a fan perspective, and it's hard at times not to feel pessimistic. Looking at PROGRESS and ICW cards now compared to 2/3 years ago is glaring, even Rev Pro cards without the New Japan guys come across as glorified house shows.

Yes it's a great opportunity for new talent to impress, but at the same time, the novelty of going to an Indy show and seeing guys like ZSJ knocking about casually was part of the fun. Now they're all essentially feeder systems to bigger international companies, hardly empowering for the national scene. Especially when the product that WWE are making is basically 90% PROGRESS talent and personnel, just without any of the personality or buzz that company had at it's peak.

Never watched Defiant/WCPW, but they were one of the companies WWE stopped any of their talent working for so whilst they weren't the thing that killed the company off, they certainly weren't helping by any imagination.

I think this is my longest post in months haha.

WAKE UP

Status

WALTER vs Kingston was pretty good, though not GREAT. WALTER didn't look on his game that much, but Kingston gave a great fired up old man show. He worked stiff enough to put the big man on the back foot, and I loved some of the selling he did, especially when they were just about to go into an extended chop battle and instead he just crumbled to the floor. Crowd sucked for it, which was a shame, but good match thanks to King.

Gresham vs Kingston was pretty mediocre. Felt like too much of a mis-match between them. This was the first Gresham match in PROGRESS I've seen and it felt like a totally different guy, not in a good way. None of the nifty technical wrestling we all enjoy, mostly just low-end heel schtick and a count-out victory. Dug the Kingston promo after calling them out though, so they set up LAX vs CCK nicely.

WALTER vs Ilja was great, probably my favourite match between them. Much better WALTER performance, thought the violence was fucking Tenryu-level at points. Stomping on Ilja's throat, brutal boots and lariats, etc. Final section was GREAT big title match shit with Ilja surviving the Gojira Clutch and busting out the big boy arsenal.

Relentless Admin

Status

Unsubscribed from Demand Progress today. I haven't been enjoying the product for a year now anyway, really I was only keeping it to watch whatever Walter was getting up to, but the latest round of bullshit from the owners to use every excuse in the book for why they've had dwindling ticket sales EXCEPT the knock on effect of NXT UK hurting britwres fans good will and signing away the top stars just irritated me beyond belief. I'm far from an anti-WWE guy and I don't even hate the existence of NXT UK like some people do, but just own it if that's the decision you've made to go into business with WWE. Stop trying to take your paying customers for fucking mugs and acting like this hasn't had an effect on Progress Wrestling.

Here's what they sent out to season ticket holders this week.

Status

Yeah, that whole excuse is dumb. Just own your shit and move on. I noticed demand was down a while back when the first 3 Birmingham shows sold out fast, the 4th was close but never quite got there, don't think the fifth did, and there's been no word of a return date this year.

Had them on snooze on FB so just checked out the September Supercard show, and holy-leaning-on-WWE Batman.

Didn't know Chaos was pending closure, that's sad.

WAKE UP

Status

That email is fucking absurd. I had to stop reading halfway through. What a shame, I guess punk rock really is dead.

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread Information