Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: PROGRESS Wrestling General Discussion Thread

[Blank Space]

Status
      Country                    UK

Re: PROGRESS Wrestling General Discussion Thread

Okay, something with a bit more detail

Like the last show, no issues getting in. Can't help but wonder if they're a bit daft to keep running at this venue though. July's show sold out almost instantly (missing that one I'm afraid Ed, couldn't get tickets fast enough), this one went fast too & Jim mentioned an attendance of about 750 of us. Feels like PROGRESS need to be a bit braver with their venues at times and actually have a go at booking bigger places more frequently. The fan base is definitely there.

Did the merch rounds, picked up a PROGRESS logo shirt & a Will Ospreay shirt (along with a selfie with the man himself).

Opening segment was to confirm Mandrews was off the card due to injury (that's both shows I've been to he's dropped out of due to injury now) but was there to cut a promo before Eddie Dennis interrupted quickly to try & goad him into a match (first time they've been in the same ring since the heel turn). Mandrews doesn't want to face Eddie, and Eddie promised Jim this will keep happening until either Mandrews accepts the match or one of the owners forces the issue. Good angle advancement.

Tag title match opened the show, but not without a phone convo in ring between Trent & "Triple H". This was gold with Trent "confirming he's got spot 7", when referring to Gibson "yeah, ITV" and laughing, and signing off telling Trips to "stay cerebral". Zack got the usual expected response. Match was entertaining enough, but as fun as Moustache Mountain are as an act, their work rate has taken a drop as faces. The Grizzled Young Vets retained to become the first PROGRESS champs to successfully defend a title in Birmingham!

Chris Ridgeway vs. Drew Parker was next, Drew was Mandrews' late replacement. Decent enough but suffered from the fanbase not being overly familiar with either. As I mentioned earlier, Ridgeway reminds me a lot of Davey Richards, and he does little wrong in ring but he does nothing to get excited about either. Parker won with a 450 splash which was surprising. Poor Chris, lost his first opponent due to Brookes getting a World title match, lost his second due to injury, and still can't get a win over the third.

Women's tag followed, featuring Millie McKenzie & Charli Evans vs. Bea Priestley & Nina Samuels. Charli is pretty over & is one of the many Aussie imports in this country right now making their name, and Nina could literally have been replaced by anyone such was her impact on this contest. But I wanna give glowing reviews to Bea & Millie who both looked fucking awesome in this (including some of the most murderous German suplexes I've ever seen live). More of these two please PROGRESS. If there's one benefit for Toni Storm being away a lot, it gives the company a chance to run matches like this to build up potential challengers.

Final match before intermission was the WWE UK title match with Pete Dunne defending against Joseph Connors. Good brawl this, but man does a lot of that credit have to go to Pete here. He came across as a true star against someone who lacks anything resembling character, uniqueness, anything vaguely interesting. Nice little hometown defence for Dunne one day short of the belts 1 year anniversary.

Second half kicked off with Will Ospreay vs. Adam Brooks. Brooks is another Aussie, but he's more on tour than a permanent fixture. Cool story to this one, as whilst Ospreay has been out conquering the world, he still hasn't won a match in PROGRESS in about 2 years. Still, fresh off IWGP Jr. title success against a relative unknown should fix that right? Wrong, Brooks went out of his way to piss off & infuriate Ospreay and several times almost had him beat (including a flip piledriver on the fucking ring apron). Way more competitive than I think anyone thought it would be, but Ospreay finally got it done with the OsCutter. Great match, MOTN by far, and the reports of his matches elsewhere show Ospreay isn't half arsing it whilst he's over here. Please come back chant for Brooks too, between this & his PWG debut last month dude's on the verge of breaking out.

Tag action now with Havoc & Haskins beating Aussie Open (seriously, how many of these guys are over here?) The lack of reaction to H&H is notable. Picked up as the match went on because Jimmy Havoc is too good, but still. Good little match here, but I'm still struggling with this team. I don't get the end goal of this tag run, especially with GYV as the tag champs, because who wants that match? And there's still no explanation for the turn or the team. Just nothing to get invested in at all. Mark Davies is a fucking HOSS BTW.

Main event time, with Travis Banks defending against CCK stablemate Chris Brookes, who had Kid Lykos in his corner. Friendship went out the corner fast here, as Brookes went to the dark very quickly. I remember seeing Brookes a few years ago as a heel & thinking how good at it he was, yet his breakout year has been as a face. Strange. Anyway, ending was interesting as Brookes had a visible 3-count over Travis but the ref was out. Brookes initially went to use the PROGRESS title on Banks but had a change of conscience. Didn't stop him using the clipboard. TK Cooper emerged towards to end, distracting Brooke who went down to the Lions Clutch finally. Post match, Brookes shook hands with Banks but NOT Cooper, Cooper held onto the PROGRESS title a bit longer than comfortable, and Banks left through different ropes when TK held them open for him. That PROGRESS title may be starting to cost Banks friends, and looks like we're getting SPPT/CCK down the line.

Overall, I'd give the last show the edge, as match quality was slightly higher across the board, and was a more notable show overall. But this was still a great time, and a great advert for UK Indy wrestling right now, with IWGP & WWE champions present for a small show in Birmingham. Madness.

Bonus pics
    Spoiler:

Last edited by Postman Dave; 01-15-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Great seats!

Mark Davis fucking rules.
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    People Obsessed With Nicky: RainShaker, indyfan
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

Status

Great recap, Dave. Regarding venue size... are there good options available that are just one step up in size? I know Jim has talked on the podcast about some possible venues not wanting to host wrestling, so that could be a factor there.....

[Blank Space]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Great recap, Dave. Regarding venue size... are there good options available that are just one step up in size? I know Jim has talked on the podcast about some possible venues not wanting to host wrestling, so that could be a factor there.....
    It's a shame, because all the shows sell out so fast it's easy guaranteed money for the venue. Main downside I guess is the ring set-up eating in the potential capacity of the venue operators. I went to a Daughtry gig at the same building a couple years ago and the queue for entry was longer than both PROGRESS shows combined.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

People really hate Conners here don't they.

I mean, don't get me wrong, he's not great at all but the dude is serviceable and can be carried to great stuff without looking out of his depth; heck, his match with Chuck Mambo at the This Is Snowgress show was great and that's fucking Chuck fucking Mambo! I think he's got a great dick character going on, his embracing of how much the fans legitimately hate him for being dull as fuck in the ring is the most glorious thing since Bobby Roode and as a pretty big dude, working as a heel, his boring ring work helps me to hate him in a way I'm never going to hate more exciting guys while they're wrestling.

That all said, I don't want him anywhere near winning a title, be it the WWE UK one or a PROGRESS strap. He's good as a dickhead heel facing a beloved face who can elevate his in-ring work but as the top guy in a company? No thanks.

Six months ago I didn't know who Eddie Dennis was; now I am frothing at the mouth to see him face Mark Andrews. His match with Travis was great and his mic work and the way he's changed his in-ring style since turning heel has been excellent.

I've loved Ospreay being back. I've never been a huge fan of his to be honest but between his match with Trav, his putting over of the M&M boys on the Dome show, and the match with Adam Brooks in Brum, I've absolutely been blown away by his performances and what he's delivered.

Trent Seven is my favourite person in all of wrestling. I would like to marry him and live in a small cottage in the country and laugh at all of his jokes.

[Blank Space]

Status

Bad news Raiz, Eddie might be injured if what he mentioned yesterday was true

Status

Eddie D?

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Bad news Raiz, Eddie might be injured if what he mentioned yesterday was true
    Badly?

[Blank Space]

Status

Can't remember specifically the body part, but he said it was torn. Said he'd tried to work with it at Pro Wrestling Chaos Saturday night and admitted it wasn't the best idea.

Status

Can't remember specifically the body part, but he said it was torn. Said he'd tried to work with it at Pro Wrestling Chaos Saturday night and admitted it wasn't the best idea.

That leaves room for hope. I hope its his emotions that are torn. He can work through that.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

So apparently Jinny broke her hand and suffered a concussion. I guess they'll need to find a replacement for the title match they had planned I think Sunday why not Millie Mckenzie

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Watched some PROGRESS Live At The Dome few days ago. Connor Mills vs. Maverick Mayhew was very enjoyable. For the age of both the two (one being 17), it was shocking good. It was a spotfest but under the circumstances, it's fine. Bea Priestley vs. Millie McKenzie was decent as well. First time watching Millie and she is pretty good. She looked better then I expected from her. Seen Priestley a few times in Stardom, particularly in a match against Toni Storm where she looked great and this was no different. Good showing
    Koi Suru Fortune Cookie

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    So apparently Jinny broke her hand and suffered a concussion. I guess they'll need to find a replacement for the title match they had planned I think Sunday why not Millie Mckenzie
    I would have bet the house on Jinny becoming the new women’s champion on Sunday. The timing definitely sucks and I really hope she gets well soon.
    -------
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

Sweet Meat

Status

J Conners sucks butt.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dook Gulak View Post
    J Conners sucks butt.
    Yeah Connors is dull at everything and sucks.
    -------
    -------

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

Has he missed any dates yet? I would not put it passed him to work an injury angle with the MAndrews stuff being built the way it has been lately, around Eddie wanting the match and making out like Mark's avoiding him; sort of like faking an injury in order to lure him in for the sneak attack... but I could just be trying to comfort myself here.

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Watched some PROGRESS Live At The Dome few days ago. Connor Mills vs. Maverick Mayhew was very enjoyable. For the age of both the two (one being 17), it was shocking good. It was a spotfest but under the circumstances, it's fine. Bea Priestley vs. Millie McKenzie was decent as well. First time watching Millie and she is pretty good. She looked better then I expected from her. Seen Priestley a few times in Stardom, particularly in a match against Toni Storm where she looked great and this was no different. Good showing
    Watch the Revalations of Devine Love tournament. Specifically Millie's matches. She's phenomenal during that whole show. I thought her match with Bea was kinda meh in comparison to be honest, so if you're tastes are anything like mine you should love what she does on that other show.

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Watch the Revalations of Devine Love tournament. Specifically Millie's matches. She's phenomenal during that whole show. I thought her match with Bea was kinda meh in comparison to be honest, so if you're tastes are anything like mine you should love what she does on that other show.
    I'll do just that.

Speaking of Millie McKenzie, she is Jinny's replacement for Toni Storm's Women's Title match this Sunday at Chapter 62. https://mobile.twitter.com/ThisIs_Pr...09314618806273
    Koi Suru Fortune Cookie

Thread Information