Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Video Game Debate Club

Status

The Video Game Debate Club

THE VIDEO GAME DEBATE CLUB

Street Fighter II or Mortal Kombat? The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time or Final Fantasy VII? NFL Blitz or Quarterback Club '98? WWF Attitude or WCW/NWO: Revenge? These were the schoolyard debates that predated internet flame wars. These were the debates that were often revisited but never truly settled.

This is the Video Game debate club thread. Each week, I'll submit two iconic video games for the WC masses to discuss and compare, with the ultimate question which one was better? What determines that, is completely up to you. Storylines, graphics, innovation, cultural impact, iconic characters that stand the test of time, production value, replayablity, nostalgia, whatever. Whatever matters to you. Just make your case.

Entry #1

VERSUS

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis/Mega Drive - 1992) vs Super Mario World (Super Nintendo Entertainment System - 1991)

The two platformers that defined the 16-bit era. As a child of divorce who owned both a Sega Genesis and and SNES, it's hard for me to favor either of the two because they both hold a special place in my heart, tied to different spaces of nostalgia.

Originally released in Japan as Super Mario Bros 4, Super Mario World was the flagship title for the Super Nintendo back in the early 90's. It featured our returning hero Mario as he sought to save the 7 kingdoms of Dinosaur land from Bowser, with the help of his brother Luigi and their new friend Yoshi, who makes his debut in this game.

The follow up to the massively popular "Sonic The Hedgehog", Sonic 2 was released a little over a year after Super Mario World, to major critical and commercial success. With it's large, colorful levels, impressively fast action and infectiously catchy soundtrack, the game pushed the limits on what the Sega Master System/Genesis could do. Like Mario World, it was a gorgeous game for it's time and like Super Mario World did with Yoshi, Sonic 2 introduced another iconic character to the series. Sonic's pal Tails.

Each one is iconic in it's own right. Each one raised the bar for their respective consoles. So then, which one is better and why?

Last edited by Jiggy; 03-05-2017 at 05:42 PM.

Status

Re: The Video Game Debate Club

INDEX

1. Sonic 2 (Sega Genesis/Master System, 1992) VS Super Mario World (Super Nintendo Entertainment System, 1991)

2. Final Fantasy VII (Sony Playstation, 1997) VS The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (Nintendo 64, 1998)

3. Silent Hill (Sony Playstation, 1999) VS Resident Evil (Sony Playstation, 1996)

BIOSHOCK (Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC - 2007) vs Fallout 3 (Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC - 2008)
    Last edited by Jiggy; 03-20-2017 at 05:48 PM.

Status

Super Mario and it ain't even close. Sonic is fun in bursts but I've found the endless running too fluky in difficulty and the platforming pretty floaty and downright dreadful at times. Whole series is overrated tbh.

SMW on the other hand is one of the most polished 2D platformers ever and one of the greatest games of all time. Can't say enough good things about it.

Tap Tap Tap

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Alexii Kavanagh | Restoring Order BTB
    WC Rumble Winner 2017: I guess that makes me less lame

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Hard Times

Status
    ="text-align:left">   Country                    Puerto Rico

Personally I like Games when I truly into the Gaming world back when I was a Teenager that made me work mentally and physically. I never got more frustrated with a game than Sonic the Hedgehog 2. I still own it with my Sega Genesis today among other games, but damn I think that game especially created rage quit for many people including myself. I would be a liar if I didn't say I never beat the whole game, yeah I might need to get on that lol. I never a Mario Games fan overall, but their games were crispy and fun to play as a kid. If I had to pick a game to play again, you couldn't get me to play Sonic again even with a Bullet to my head, rather play Super Mario World again.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

I'm a hound dog.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    Super Mario and it ain't even close. Sonic is fun in bursts but I've found the endless running too fluky in difficulty and the platforming pretty floaty and downright dreadful at times. Whole series is overrated tbh.

SMW on the other hand is one of the most polished 2D platformers ever and one of the greatest games of all time. Can't say enough good things about it.

Tap Tap Tap
    Basically this, I've never been a fan of the Sonic games. I get why people like them but the only one I ever liked was the one that you could raise little pokemon type creatures.

I'm not sure how in depth you want us to be in this but Silk pretty much summed it up for me.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
    Basically this, I've never been a fan of the Sonic games. I get why people like them but the only one I ever liked was the one that you could raise little pokemon type creatures.

I'm not sure how in depth you want us to be in this but Silk pretty much summed it up for me.

Sonic Adventure 2. My personal favorite in the series as well.

[12:14 AM] Nash: Jiggs is reaching top 5 Nash fave GOAT status in such rapid speed
    [12:15 AM]
    Nash: it'll definitely go to his head

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Mario's story and characters never resonated. I agree the gameplay is slightly better due to its slower pace but I thought Sonic was more challenging in terms of level design. You could say it's flukey but if you die once and replay (which is something you're always gonna do in these games) then you know what's coming. I also liked the ring mechanic in Sonic too. I wouldn't describe the whole series as being overrated - most people would tout it as a top 5 platformer and that's exactly what it is. I couldn't tell you 5 platformers I enjoyed more than Sonic.

For me, Mario has the edge on gameplay but nothing else. I preferred Sonic's level design, difficulty and characters/story that much more. I never really thought the Mario character was cool... infact, I found Bowser to be cool which is weird as I shouldn't really like the bad guy more than the good guy. That said, Yoshi was dope. But for Sonic - I always liked the Sonic characters more. Sonic was cool as fuck and Tails was a very likeable sidekick, I didn't care that much for Luigi though I do prefer him to Mario. Knuckles is pretty dope also even if he technically wasn't playable, originally, in Sonic 2. Eggman is a villain that I hated also rather than finding him cool.

Obviously personal preference. SMW is probably going to be considered the better game but I prefer Sonic more as a franchise. Only Mario game I enjoyed a great deal was Super Mario 64 whilst I've enjoyed a great deal more Sonic than that.

Also, can't wait til we discuss Resident Evil vs Silent Hill or Splinter Cell (lol) vs MGS.
    Last edited by PowerfulShake; 03-05-2017 at 06:03 PM.

Spoiler:

POWERFUL RANGERS

Zero
    Silk
    Shake
    Benwah
    HoHo

Status

Sonic is so not a top five platformer. I wouldn't put it in the top ten.

Tap Tap Tap

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Alexii Kavanagh | Restoring Order BTB
    WC Rumble Winner 2017: I guess that makes me less lame

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Cliff 'Em All

Status
      Country                    United States

MGS wipes its ass with Splinter Cell (and I like SC).

Team CD | Lurk & Jurk | Ribs & Salsa | Team Cyrus T

I'm a hound dog.

Status

As you're all probably aware I will side with Resident Evil or Final Fantasy on all topics. you WILL NOT change my mind.

[Blank Space]

Status

I played SMW more as a kid and put so many hours into it, and right now my nephew is getting into video games and he massively prefers SMW too.

People's Champion

Status

SMW is better in many ways. The secrets,thr power ups, the map aspect of the game was fantastic. I'd also say response time was amazing in the game as well. I do love the speed part of Sonic though.

SMB 3 kills both though.
    Last edited by indyfan; 03-05-2017 at 08:37 PM.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    SMW is better in many ways. The secrets,thr power ups, the map aspect of the game was fantastic. I do love the speed part of Sonic though.

SMB 3 kills both though.
    I initially considered SMW vs SMB3 or M64 but Sonic v Mario is that WrestleMania main event

[12:14 AM] Nash: Jiggs is reaching top 5 Nash fave GOAT status in such rapid speed
    [12:15 AM]
    Nash: it'll definitely go to his head

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    I initially considered SMW vs SMB3 or M64 but Sonic v Mario is that WrestleMania main event
    It's Sega vs Nintendo. The greatest video game war of all time.

I'll say this NHL 94 is the best sports game of the 90s. Nothing touches it!!

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Australia

I dare you to do FFVI vs FFVII and watch the universe implode ^^
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Australia

As to which is better I played Sonic first and have so many nostalgia feelings towards it. I have only played Super Mario once and that was as an adult. I was at a friends house and mentioned I had never played it and they reacted with horror and insisted I try it, so I played part of the first level and wasn't reall fussed on it but that was me playing it as an adult so that's probably why.
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

User Profiles Suck

Status

It's a shame that the Sega one is the Sonic selected. The one for the Dreamcast (Adventures 2?) and the one for the PS2 (Heroes 2?) were absolutely godlike. I like my sonic with a lot of collectibles and a lot of levels, and the story has to be on points.

Super Mario World has all that and gameplay that's tricky enough to make it a good game for longevity, yet easy enough so you're not bogged down in controls.

+1 SMW
    [02:12 AM] Dakstang : Nash you act tough because you attempt to talk shit and insult people but if you were forced to pay for your shit talking in person you would cower like that bitch ass pussy that you are.

Fantrax Premiership \ Fantrax Division 1\ Fantrax Division 2

WC Fantrax Premiership

2014 - 20/12/5 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2015 - 21/14/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2016 - 21/14/1 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall

The Archon Priest

Status
      Country                    United States

The Street Fighter II vs Mortal Kombat question was the biggest debate at many mall arcades all over the U.S. I remember standing in line waiting for my turn at Street Fighter II the day they wheeled in a Mortal Kombat machine. I like many of the other people in line had a "what is that shit" expression on my face because Street Fighter was basically our weekend and after school life. After they finally got it setup and plugged in most people were mildly amused by the grainy digitized graphics, but after people started playing the stiff and limited move set it became immediately apparent SF was technically superior . I would say after about an hour of people clunking around with it everyone returned to playing Street Fighter.

I returned the next week only to find that half of our group of regular Street Fighter players had left and were playing Mortal Kombat exclusively now. I could not belive it because we had come to a consensus the week before on how bad it sucked. While I was playing Street Fighter in disbelief a guy ran over from the Mortal Kombat Machine and yelled out that somebody was about to do a "Fatality." Everybody left the Street Fighter machine ran over to see Mortal Kombat. I remember hearing a great deal of cheering and gasps and then a few people finally returned. I asked what the hell is going on and a guy told me that they figured out ways to kill people in that game. I got my Street Fighter fix that day and then finally left and stood around the MK machine for what felt like 3 hours and finally saw a guy pull off Johnny Cage's head with Sub-Zero.

The Fatalities were pretty cool and very controversial at the time. I do not think that level of graphic violence had been seen in a video game before. There were even several news stories from major network TV once the game became extremely popular. In the early days people who never stepped foot in and arcade would walk out of the mall and stand around just to see what the fuss was all about.

For the rest of my Arcade days the place was pretty polarized between Street Fighter II people and Mortal Kombat people. Very few people did both and even fewer could do both well. That was 25 years ago and Street Fighter II is still my favorite game of all time.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by PowerfulShake View Post
    Mario's story and characters never resonated. I agree the gameplay is slightly better due to its slower pace but I thought Sonic was more challenging in terms of level design. You could say it's flukey but if you die once and replay (which is something you're always gonna do in these games) then you know what's coming. I also liked the ring mechanic in Sonic too. I wouldn't describe the whole series as being overrated - most people would tout it as a top 5 platformer and that's exactly what it is. I couldn't tell you 5 platformers I enjoyed more than Sonic.

For me, Mario has the edge on gameplay but nothing else. I preferred Sonic's level design, difficulty and characters/story that much more. I never really thought the Mario character was cool... infact, I found Bowser to be cool which is weird as I shouldn't really like the bad guy more than the good guy. That said, Yoshi was dope. But for Sonic - I always liked the Sonic characters more. Sonic was cool as fuck and Tails was a very likeable sidekick, I didn't care that much for Luigi though I do prefer him to Mario. Knuckles is pretty dope also even if he technically wasn't playable, originally, in Sonic 2. Eggman is a villain that I hated also rather than finding him cool.

Obviously personal preference. SMW is probably going to be considered the better game but I prefer Sonic more as a franchise. Only Mario game I enjoyed a great deal was Super Mario 64 whilst I've enjoyed a great deal more Sonic than that.

Also, can't wait til we discuss Resident Evil vs Silent Hill or Splinter Cell (lol) vs MGS.
    100% agree with regards to the world. Sonic always had a better lore but that's probably because I very much enjoy the expanded TV series based off it (particularly Sonic X because it was hilarious to see them outright ripping off DBZ and everyone going super saiyan).

As for liking the bad guy more than the good guy, eh. Matter of perspective, fuckton of series where the bad guy is cooler than the good guy. Good guys tend to be bland or at least not nearly as cool.

As for platformers better than Sonic: Fez, Super Meat Boy, Spelunky, Rayman, Megaman, Metroid, Little Big Planet, the millions of Mario spin-offs, Inside, N+, Banjoe-Kazooie. Could probably fit it somewhere after that. And yes, totes subjective but I don't think Sonic often makes top 5/10 in terms of GOAT platformers especially with the indie revolution churning out a lot of gems and innovative stuff.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    Sonic is so not a top five platformer. I wouldn't put it in the top ten.

Tap Tap Tap
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Legend View Post
    100% agree with regards to the world. Sonic always had a better lore but that's probably because I very much enjoy the expanded TV series based off it (particularly Sonic X because it was hilarious to see them outright ripping off DBZ and everyone going super saiyan).

As for liking the bad guy more than the good guy, eh. Matter of perspective, fuckton of series where the bad guy is cooler than the good guy. Good guys tend to be bland or at least not nearly as cool.

As for platformers better than Sonic: Fez, Super Meat Boy, Spelunky, Rayman, Megaman, Metroid, Little Big Planet, the millions of Mario spin-offs, Inside, N+, Banjoe-Kazooie. Could probably fit it somewhere after that. And yes, totes subjective but I don't think Sonic often makes top 5/10 in terms of GOAT platformers especially with the indie revolution churning out a lot of gems and innovative stuff.

I definitely think it's a top 5 platforming franchise which is what I was saying. Most people would tout it top 5-10, I think. I could say the same about Mario, though. Personally, Mario doesn't hit top five for me as a franchise or as a game also. Sonic 2 as a game? Perhaps not top 5-10. But I can't think of many more platforming franchises I'd place above Sonic (in general fans perspective): Spyro, Crash, Mario, Rayman... Idk about anything else. Spyro and Crash got mishandled horribly whilst Rayman is Rayman. None of them enjoy the console exclusivity that Mario does with Nintendo. I think if you put Sonic in Mario's place then it becomes a huge selling point for Nintendo and could arguably reach the same status as Mario. You could maybe some early Tomb Raider games too. Of course, I'd expect Metroid, Kirby, Megaman to be in the discussion too. But I'd say they're on equal footing with Sonic, likely, rather than being considered above.

As for as Super Saiyan and ripping off DBZ goes, I think that's silly to suggest. Perhaps there was some influence but there's a lot of Sonic's Super forms that differentiate it from going Super Saiyan in DBZ. Going Super form also originated in Sonic 2 fwiw. Came out in 1992 which I doubt is after Goku went Super Saiyan in the anime/manga judging when they were released but I don't think they blatantly ripped off of it but took some inspiration rather. I get the feeling they must've planned out the story for Sonic 2 way beforehand but I could be wrong.

Of course liking the bad guy more than good guy is matter of perspective but as a child, I just thought Bowser > Mario whilst Sonic > Eggman. One got it the right way round for me. But that was only as a child, obviously I'd be on Mario's side nowadays.

Spoiler:

POWERFUL RANGERS

Zero
    Silk
    Shake
    Benwah
    HoHo

Thread Information