Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Video Game Debate Club

SOS Brigade Member

Status
    ="text-align:left">   Country                    United States

Re: The Video Game Debate Club

I'll just say this about FFVII's music. It's not even the best soundtrack in it's series. VI blows is out of the freaking water (and yeah, maybe there's not as many songs, but there's certainly higher quality). Same goes to the characters. VI's cast of characters are by far the best of any FF game and Cloud and his lot don't even come close to it.

But the main point is which game is better, and when you play the game today, Ocarina of Time looks better and plays better, and that's the major point.

It should be noted though, that this argument is a bit senseless, since we're talking two games from completely different genres. Ocarina of Time is an Action-Adventure game with RPG elements and FFVII is a straight up JRPG. A better argument would have been a Dragon Quest game vs. a Final Fantasy game.
    Last edited by Grim; 03-11-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Grim's Threads

Spoiler:

Grim Reviews Random Games / WWE: Rewriting History / Resident Evil: Raccoon City / Humanity

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    I'll just say this about FFVII's music. It's not even the best soundtrack in it's series. VI blows is out of the freaking water (and yeah, maybe there's not as many songs, but there's certainly higher quality). Same goes to the characters. VI's cast of characters are by far the best of any FF game and Cloud and his lot don't even come close to it. But the main point is which game is better, and when you play the game today, Ocarina of Time looks better and plays better, and that's the major point. It should be noted though, that this argument is a bit senseless, since we're talking two games from completely different genres. Ocarina of Time is an Action-Adventure game with RPG elements and FFVII is a straight up JRPG. A better argument would have been a Dragon Quest game vs. a Final Fantasy game.
    If IGN, GameSpot and Nerdist can do this debate, it's hardly "senselss", they are definitely comparable as they are the two most iconic fantasy games of the late 90s. That's the point that is missed. Yes they fall in different sub-genres but they are both part of the fantasy genre. Furthermore, OoT has RPG elements to it and FF7 has action adventure elements so trying to make that distinction is nonconsequencial nitpickery.

I agree that it's not the best soundtrack in the series but that's not a takeaway, th music in the entire series is that damn good. It's still fantastic and superior to Ocarina of Time's soundtrack.
    Last edited by Jiggy; 03-11-2017 at 10:00 AM.
    Through the darkness of future past
    The magician longs to see.
    One chance out between two worlds:
    Fire walk with me.

SOS Brigade Member

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    If IGN, GameSpot and Nerdist can do this debate, it's hardly "senselss", they are definitely comparable as they are the two most iconic fantasy games of the late 90s. That's the point that is missed. Yes they fall in different sub-genres but they are both part of the fantasy genre. Furthermore, OoT has RPG elements to it and FF7 has action adventure elements so trying to make that distinction is nonconsequencial nitpickery.

I agree that it's not the best soundtracks in the series because the series is that damn good. It's still fantastic and superior to Ocarina of Time's soundtrack.
    First, I don't mean to slight you when I say this, you know you're my brah, but fuck IGN and GameSpot.

But I don't really have an argument for your other points other then, yeah, I like to nitpick.

I'm just a hardass who doesn't like either game though.

Grim's Threads

Spoiler:

Grim Reviews Random Games / WWE: Rewriting History / Resident Evil: Raccoon City / Humanity

Status

Even if it's apples and oranges, it's still fun to talk about which one tastes better my man.

I will say that I think a year or two down the line, Breath of the Wild v. FFXV will make for a very interesting subject.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Alexii Kavanagh
    WC Rumble Winner 2017: I guess that makes me less lame

C_MI_G SO_N

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Shit Into The Fire

Status
      Country                    England

FF7 wins automatically in my mind for not having anything anywhere near close to annoying as 'hey...listen...hey...listen...hey...listen'. They're both brilliant games in their own genre and define video gaming in the late 90s, but there's no question to my mind, FF7 is the superior game. I've replayed FF7 more times than I can remember, but when I tried to replay OoT just once a few years ago, it didn't grab me the same way, felt really dated.

I don't want to piggyback Shock's post too much, but he nailed it. FF takes it on commercial success, influence and legacy (calm down Jon), music, graphics, difficulty, longevity, side-quests, depth of character and storytelling. Gameplay is too tricky to compare because it'll depend on whether you like the hack, defend and move control of Zelda or the turned based, strategic style of battles in FF7. I know which one got more repetitive and less challenging as the game went on for me. It feels like I'm burying OoT, it's still a fantastic game, but FF7 is my favourite video game of all time and everything else is gonna feel 2nd best to me.

I would agree that 7 isn't the best FF, and perhaps the nostalgia has overrated it, but I think having it outside your top 5 FF games would be doing it a disservice. I would only say 6 and 10 are better.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status
      Country                    Canada

You can apple and oranges anything. But you can still compare an apple and orange in so many ways.

One day Ill have a summer to get throigh all of Zelda and Final Fantasy.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Australia

FFVII may not be my favourite game in the series that goes to FF6, though I like 10, 4, 7, 8 and I like things about 12 though it's a much weaker entry to the series. I also really dislike ff9 excluding Vivi, black mages, genomes, Kuja, chocobo mini games. FF7 however is better than Ocarina of Time. I think 7 is a really good game it's just not the greatest thing since gaming began like a lot of fans think it is. However the soundtrack and plot blow Ocarina out of the water, still they have very different styles. Both antagonists are viewed as iconic though Ganon predates Sephiroth (who I also find to be grossly overrated) where FF7 takes the win for me however is in its mythos and its handling of the planet and the Lifestream itself, I think in FF7 the origin of the planet, the connection it has to mako energy and materia as well is way more developed as a concept, and explaining why the planet is in a crisis before Sephiroth even becomes the focus of your party. Ocarina didn't give me that same feeling. I felt Ocarina showed me different cultures and races with the Goron's, Zora etc but I still think FF7 did world building better. I think the Lifestream as a concept is better. This is only my opinion however.
    Last edited by Lisette; 03-11-2017 at 05:32 PM.
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Status

Entry #3

VERSUS

Silent Hill (Sony Playstation - 1999) vs RESIDENT EVIL (Sony Playstation - 1996)

*The original release of Resident Evil (1996) and maaaaaaybe the 1997 directors cut are the only versions applicable for comparison. Any of the 7,487 remakes/remasters for GameCube, Xbox, Playstation 4, etc etc are non factors and a true master of unlocking would know not to open those doors.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Tread carefully people unless you wanna be blocked.

PLUS ULTRA!!

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Sadly I never played Silent Hill, but I loved the first two Resident Evil Games. It was just go to game at least the first two, always loved playing the game in the dark with a group of friends. Sometimes I remember getting frustrated when I was suppose to shoot, because their was no lock on on a Zombie like we have today, still loved the game.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

Die By My Hand

Status
      Country                    United States

Like HoHo, I never played Silent Hill. I love the RE franchise though and the first one (director's cut) made young Deth damn near shit himself (those goddamn dogs).

Team CD | Lurk & Jurk | Ribs & Salsa | Team Cyrus T
    Spoiler:

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Death View Post
    Like HoHo, I never played Silent Hill. I love the RE franchise though and the first one (director's cut) made young Deth damn near shit himself (those goddamn dogs).
    In all honesty depending on what you want these are two fairly opposite games. Silent Hill is more of a psychological horror game where RE is basically a survival horror game.

I've never been a fan of ghost games and that's what SH reminds me of. They were more terrifying for me when growing up compared to the RE Games. I never understand the SH storyline and I don't think any of them are even connected except maybe a few. The RE games are all the same timeline and have reoccurring characters/monsters.

Also for the record the RE games are not "Zombie Games". I'll punch you.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status
      Country                    Canada

They both suck. Gg. Especially Resident Evil.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Legend View Post
    Completely agree. I ll never get what people like about RE.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Legend View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Completely agree. I ll never get what people like about RE.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Silent Hill is definitely survival horror fwiw.

Both game series have suffered from shockingly bad story development but Resident Evil has the more iconic characters and lines etc.

If REmaster was to be included in this then it would be a blowout. But idk, its really close. RE1 is a good game but has some atrocious aspects. The Silent Hill storyline in 1 grips me more - RE, as a story, never broke through to me until RE2. But I think I am more into RE's gameplay and enemies.

The first zombie turning is the first thing I think of when I think about horror games. Such an iconic moment.

As for what people like about RE: the characters, the story, the atmosphere it creates, the music and so on. There are a lot of elements in RE that grip people - especially the tension in the earlier games and how people enjoy shitting themselves.

Jon's just a shitbag with no real input on the topic.
    Last edited by RyuShake Taguchi; 03-15-2017 at 08:04 PM.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~HAVE A NICE DAY~~
    Spoiler:

Unstoppable

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Silent Hill by a good deal. I like the first 3 RE games, but SH wins.

However, I'd say Clock Tower and Fatal Frame toast any of the above..

Time stood still, and it shared with me all that had been, and all that was to come.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Vayne View Post
    Silent Hill by a good deal. I like the first 3 RE games, but SH wins.

However, I'd say Clock Tower and Fatal Frame toast any of the above..

Unstoppable

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I <3 you Copper, but I think I'm pretty dead on.

Though I do love both series, don't get me wrong. However, the only games in RE that I really loved were 1,2,3, and Code Veronica.
    Time stood still, and it shared with me all that had been, and all that was to come.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Vayne View Post
    I <3 you Copper, but I think I'm pretty dead on.

Though I do love both series, don't get me wrong. However, the only games in RE that I really loved were 1,2,3, and Code Veronica.
    and how many silent hill games do you love?

Thread Information