Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Video Game Debate Club

Sweet Meat

Status

Re: The Video Game Debate Club

Never like Sonic myself. Maria is by far more fun, imo.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Dookie Sanders View Post
    Never like Sonic myself. Maria is by far more fun, imo.
    Yeah, Maria is the tits.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Horror Movie Heroes~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Swamps
    Get out and kick their ass! Even if its Grandma!

Status

The only argument the Sonic franchise has for top five is legacy and notoriety. As an actual game it has never been to compete with far superior games and franchises within the genre. If you're saying it's top five because of its legacy, then I agree, but a legitimate top five platforming series it is not. It simply does not have the tight control I feel is a huge requirement to be a success in that category.

I'll grant it story because Mario's storyline has always been essentially a reason for Mario to be doing something and little else, but I feel like more often than not the storytelling in Sonic games is pretty hilariously bad.

Tap Tap Tap

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017: I guess that makes me less lame

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

I was a highwayman

Status
      Country                    United States

The only mario games I played/play is mario kart... Sonic has always been over mario which makes me sad looking at how sonic is treated now.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    It simply does not have the tight control I feel is a huge requirement to be a success in that category.
    Anyone who has ever drowned in Sonic can tell you this is untrue.

I HAVE STARTED STREAMING MY GAME SESSIONS
    ...COME AND CHECK IT OUT IF YOU'RE BORED,OK?

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore Iceman View Post
    The only mario games I played/play is mario kart... Sonic has always been over mario which makes me sad looking at how sonic is treated now.
    What do you hate about how its treated now? How would you prefer it being treated.

SOS Brigade Member

Status

Sonic, tbh, has suffered from not having quality control standards over the Mario games. Even Mario's worst game is on par with Sonic CD.

I think World is one of the best pure platformers and a great template on how to create one. Sonic 2's fun and all, but it really has nothing on Mario.

Edit: Oh and PS, whomever suggested FF VI vs. VII: VI and it's not even a debate.

Grim's Threads

Spoiler:

Grim Reviews Random Games / WWE: Rewriting History / Resident Evil: Raccoon City / Humanity

Status

Entry #2

VERSUS

Final Fantasy VII (Sony Playstation - 1997) vs The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (Nintendo 64 - 1998)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sweet Meat

Status

i've never been a big zelda guy. the nes game was fun, but i never got really hooked.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

Holy mother of god.

I, I, I just don't know.

Final Fantasy VII. Forgive me sweet Link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    Truthfully Duke I probably did a boner at times. I took School after I was held back in the 3rd Grade seriously maybe too seriously at times. I wished I would of enjoyed it a bit more. I think my path is still being made to be honest.

Fantrax Premiership \ Fantrax Division 1

WC Fantrax Premiership

2014 - 20/12/5 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2015 - 21/14/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2016 - 21/14/1 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2017 - 20/15/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall

SOS Brigade Member

Status

Ocarina of Time.

I've never been a huge fan of either game, but I definitely prefer OoT over FFVII.

The gameplay has aged much better, it has better music, and whilst the characters and plot may or may not be better than FFVII, Ocarina of Time has that legend and it-factor around it where everything just... works. Final Fantasy VII still has some problems, and I hate to say it, but I really dislike the graphics for FFVII.

Grim's Threads

Spoiler:

Grim Reviews Random Games / WWE: Rewriting History / Resident Evil: Raccoon City / Humanity

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Ocarina of Time.

I've never been a huge fan of either game, but I definitely prefer OoT over FFVII.

The gameplay has aged much better, it has better music, and whilst the characters and plot may or may not be better than FFVII, Ocarina of Time has that legend and it-factor around it where everything just... works. Final Fantasy VII still has some problems, and I hate to say it, but I really dislike the graphics for FFVII.
    Going to have to disagree with the music. FFVII has one of the best soundtracks in all of gaming.

I agree with you about Zelda having better gameplay and FFVII having a better story.
    Last edited by Jiggy; 03-08-2017 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Truth View Post
    FUCK THE NAZIS. Fuck them, the alt-right, and those white supremacy Confederate-flag wanking babies who are so angry because life's not fair and brown-skinned human beings want to sit at the table. Fuck these Tiki-torch, polo-wearing hatemongers for believing that they're any better than anybody else. And a double dose of "Fuck you" to ANYONE who buys into this garbage of a centralized "white culture" because such a thing DOES NOT EXIST NOR EVER HAS. And while anybody who punches one of these lowlifes should be punished as the law dictates, I sure as hell am not going to feel sorry for these fuckers if their lives become a series of perpetual punches. When you spew hate, what the fuck do you expect?

SOS Brigade Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    Going to have to disagree with the music. FFVII has one of the best soundtracks in all of gaming.

I agree with you about Zelda having better gameplay and FFVII having a better story.
    Not to be rude, but I could easily think of more good to great songs from Ocarina of Time than from FFVII. Hell, I think the battle music in VII is shit compared to other games in its own series.

Grim's Threads

Spoiler:

Status

Tbh I've never played more than a few minutes of FF7.

Ocarina is a classic obviously, tho a spot overrated.

Tap Tap Tap

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017: I guess that makes me less lame

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Not to be rude, but I could easily think of more good to great songs from Ocarina of Time than from FFVII. Hell, I think the battle music in VII is shit compared to other games in its own series.

The FFVII soundtrack is massive. The box set is 4 discs and while a few tracks may seem like filler, if I narrowed down the truly GREAT songs from the soundtrack, it would still be double the content of quality songs provided by the Ocarina of Time soundtrack. We could go tit for tat on that one as it's a matter of opinion truly, but I honestly think that save for the main menu music and a few of the Ocarina songs, the soundtrack for Ocarina of time is nothing special. Most of the songs are repetitive, 3 minute compositions of the same 15 second melody. Final Fantasy not only had a better soundtrack but crisper audio all around due to the Playstations CD format.

FUCK THE NAZIS. Fuck them, the alt-right, and those white supremacy Confederate-flag wanking babies who are so angry because life's not fair and brown-skinned human beings want to sit at the table. Fuck these Tiki-torch, polo-wearing hatemongers for believing that they're any better than anybody else. And a double dose of "Fuck you" to ANYONE who buys into this garbage of a centralized "white culture" because such a thing DOES NOT EXIST NOR EVER HAS. And while anybody who punches one of these lowlifes should be punished as the law dictates, I sure as hell am not going to feel sorry for these fuckers if their lives become a series of perpetual punches. When you spew hate, what the fuck do you expect?

The Diplomatic Shadow

Status

Final Fantasy 7 isn't even in the top 5 for Final Fantasy games, honestly. It got a lot of admiration and such for the same reason OoT did, and that would be jumping ahead from previous installments in the series graphically. Both of which are arguably two of the most overrated games of all time.

However, Ocarina of Time was a legitimately great game and completely blows FF VII out of the water.
    Time stood still, and it shared with me all that had been, and all that was to come.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

I believe I spent far too much time playing Ocarina of Time back in the day, far too much time indeed, however I got there eventually. An amazing all round game, though whilst I wouldn't say the game is overrated by those that have played it start to finish, it is perhaps hard to accept ratings of 10/10 or 99% for any game.

Never really got into the FF games, not sure why, but I did try, again back in the day haha. Zelda takes the win.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Vayne View Post
    Final Fantasy 7 isn't even in the top 5 for Final Fantasy games, honestly. It got a lot of admiration and such for the same reason OoT did, and that would be jumping ahead from previous installments in the series graphically. Both of which are arguably two of the most overrated games of all time.

However, Ocarina of Time was a legitimately great game and completely blows FF VII out of the water.
    I'd disagree strongly about it not being in the top 5. It would round out the bottom of the top 5 but it's definitely up there.

1. FF9
    2. FF6
    3. FF10
    4. FF8
    5. FF7

It is however, the most popular in the series by mile as is Ocarina of Time in the Zelda series.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Final Fantasy 7 smokes Ocarina of Time. In my opinion anyway and based on knowledge. I never really got invested in Zelda whilst I enjoy all of Final Fantasy and 7 is the standout game for me in a few ways. It was really gritty for a change, the setting was pretty dope and the story is pretty great. Characters also. There really isn't that much wrong with it. And it's spawned its own subseries that I think is really cool too.

As for soundtrack, I listened to 20 mins of OoT there and I dunno man, just doesn't grab me. But I get into FF7s cause of what I rememeber from playing it, nostalgia and shit.

To truly know, you'd have to get someone to play both games blind and find out what they say. Someone be a guinea pig.

But FF7 ftw.

My Top 5 FFs change all the time but my favourites are: FF10, FF13-2, FF7, FF4, FF8 and FF9
    Last edited by RainShaker; 03-11-2017 at 08:21 AM.
    ----

----

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~HAVE A NICE DAY~~
    Spoiler:

When the black man talkin

Status

FFVII is an incredible game, has aged fantastically, and easily in my top 10 games of all time. It might not even be the best Final Fantasy game, but that's just a testament to how good the series was around this time. Personally I'd say it's only behind VI.

Ocarina of Time is great, but I think it's a fair way off of VII. It doesn't have the sheer amount of memorable moments, great character development as VII. A lot of that could be because it's a lot shorter than FF, but that's just more in favour of VII - better value for your money, increased replayability and it doesn't outstay its welcome.

For someone's criticism of VII to be the music boggles my mind. That soundtrack is phenomenal, and I can associate every piece of music in that game with locations and moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMym4dzWwzY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIqKWLkm2-g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSAjNWypykQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YWRiq-plxw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dnl6NoEVdo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrI8bHs6Qvk
    That last one is maybe my favourite piece of music in any game. And that brief sub-story with Red XIII is such a relatively small part of the game, but it is more beautiful and memorable than 99.99% of any game on its own. The music in VII is absolutely incredible and up there with the greatest OST of all time.

I also think VII is one of the most important games of all time as far as its influence on RPGs in the west.

Always VII here. Ocarina of Time, great as it is, doesn't really compare for me.

Thread Information