Thread: New Japan Cup 2017

Status
    ="text-align:left">   Country                    Jamaica

NJPW New Japan Cup 2017

Participants and bouts have been released:

Will update this as the tournament goes on.

First round

11th March

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs EVIL
    Tomoaki Honma vs Tanga Roa
    Michael Elgin vs Bad Luck Fale
    Toru Yano vs Tama Tonga

12th March

Katsuyori Shibata vs Minoru Suzuki
    Juice Robinson vs Yujiro Takahashi
    Tomohiro Ishii vs Kenny Omega
    SANADA vs YOSHI-HASHI

Second Round

13th March

Hiroshi Tanahashi/EVIL vs Tomoaki Honma/Tanga Roa

14th March

Michael Elgin/Bad Luck Fale vs Toru Yano/Tama Tonga

15th March

Katsuyori Shibata/Minoru Suzuki vs Juice Robinson/Yujiro Takahashi

17th March

Tomohiro Ishii/Kenny Omega vs YOSHI-HASHI/SANADA

Semi Finals

19th March

Winner on the 13th vs Winner on the 14th
    Winner on the 15th vs Winner on the 17th

Finals

20th March

Winner of Semi Final 1 vs Winner of Semi Final 2

Really interesting bracket. Could be an Omega vs Tanahashi final. Could also be Shibata vs Tanahashi too.

SHIBATA VS SUZUKI THOOOO

Last edited by RyuShake Taguchi; 02-28-2017 at 01:10 AM.

Spoiler:

POWERFUL RANGERS

Zero
    Silk
    Shake
    Benwah
    HoHo

Ducks Fly Together

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: New Japan Cup 2017

Can't fucking wait for this, happens during my 10 day vacation.

[10:24 PM]Nash: joshi sucks
    [10:25 PM]Nash: he's not even the best racer you can pick mario's way better

Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Death View Post
    Btw Jiggy said I was only a 4 on a scale of 1 to Jon for being annoying so that's my resolution covered.
    Please support me on Father's Day as I run for prostate cancer research!

Shit Into The Fire

Status
      Country                    England

This looks a lot of fun.

Some really nice matches there in the first round and potentially later on. It feels like Omega should win but is that too early to go back to Okada/Omega? Got the funny feeling Toru Yano's gonna get into the semi final. I can't rule out Tanahashi losing in the first round if he's in breeze until G1 mode, because most likely a quarter final match with Honma looms which he won't phone in for. 4 singles matches for Tanahashi to reach the final? can't see it happening. I think maybe Elgin/Omega final.

Wouldn't have minded David Boy Smith Jr getting a singles match over Tanga Roa or Yujiro to make up for Archer getting injured.

Cody Rhodes not taking part because he'd have to lose a match

Powerful Red S-Mod

Status
      Country                    United States

Think Nagata making a run representing Honma would be a great story if Tana takes an early exit against EVIL (which I think is heavily possible, in fact if he does beat EVIL him winning the whole thing wouldn't be very surprising), Nagata vs Omega final would get huge crowd heat and could provide a feel good moment if it is too soon for Omega/Okada again.

Why is Ishii of all people taking the fall? You're telling me couldn't have been switched with Juice?

Elgin & Fale are my darkhorse picks as a reward for great wrestling & being lost in the shuffle and to relieve Naito of the IC Title.

I'm thinking Suzuki beats Shibata as well to take their feud into the next gear going forward, leading to Tana & friends/LIJ, Shibata & friends/SZKG & Okada/? being the feuds taking NJPW into the Summer.
    Mercedes McQueen

Bitch~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator LIGER FEVER)

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Only caught the last three matches of the show today... very interesting, I thought. Not a bad set of matches - Tana vs EVIL picked up halfway through whilst Elgin/Fale did the best they could. Yano/Tama is what you'd expect.

Spoiler:

EVIL and Fale winning is big. This is looking like Suzuki, Shibata or Omega vs EVIL final now.

Tanahashi is starting to show signs that he could be going heel. I can't wait if it happens.

Spoiler:

POWERFUL RANGERS

Zero
    Silk
    Shake
    Benwah
    HoHo

BTB Legend

Status

Comments

Ishii and Omega had a fantastic match. By far, the best one of the Cup so far. Really worth going out of your way to see.

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

Taichi-Gun Member

Status

Re: Comments

Quote Originally Posted by EgoFantastico View Post
    Ishii and Omega had a fantastic match. By far, the best one of the Cup so far. Really worth going out of your way to see.
    True I was the best match but to be honest, there was only one other good match and that was tanahshi v EVIL. Was shocked to see ishii win, I thought omegas going to win. People who know my work should know that I kind of predicted them and got most of them right. Hope they use this tournament to make a star in SANADA

Status

I think it's too early to expect SANADA to be crafted into a star. Give it a year or two and we can expect it but he needs to develop first. And he needs to sign a proper NJPW contract if I'm not mistaken. He's good and has bags of potential but right now isn't the correct time for it. Let him break free from LIJ as a character slightly before he gets a big push.

Ishii has been the standout performer of the tournament and I was starting to think that he might actually win but I've had Shibata pegged from the start as the winner. I think Shibata is the correct decision.

He's been a little aimless since the EVIL stuff and stagnated slightly in terms of character progression. Just random feuds with little substance - though the Suzuki stuff changes that somewhat. But a NJC win for Shibata progresses his 'redemption' story and is the logical next step for him.

Whether Shibata challenges Naito or Okada remains to be seen but I am guessing he goes for Okada if Naito/Elgin are still feuding somewhat. But Shibata could challenge Naito on the basis of beating him in the G1 and a victory frees up Naito to go on and win G1 this year and challenge Okada at WK12. On the other hand, could also have Shibata challenge Okada and come up short in a valiant effort. Would still elevate him and the style dynamic between the pair could be fun. If Shibata were to beat Okada, i'd hope it's not a transitional reign otherwise the big moment is wasted.

Now watch Fale win the whole thing instead lmao.

Ishii vs Shibata, Ishii vs Omega are the best matches of the tourny so far.

Fale ve EVIL was what it was but I wouldn't call it offensively bad.
    Last edited by RyuShake Taguchi; 03-19-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Spoiler:

POWERFUL RANGERS

Zero
    Silk
    Shake
    Benwah
    HoHo

Shit Into The Fire

Status

Ishii has been fantastic in the tournament, Vs Omega Vs Sanada and Vs Shibata have been the best three matches of the tournament was hoping he'd win it but.......

s
    p
    o
    i
    l
    e
    r
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !

Shibata challenged Okada

SHIBATA VS OKADA

IT'S FINALLY ON

FIRST TIME SINCE 2013

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

So much for his affair costing him any big push. Hopefully this is him finally out of that NEVER title loop.

Powerful Red S-Mod

Status

Shibata winning automatically drops my interest in Sakura Genesis but the fact that Ishii so clearly was the fan favorite and the best person in the tournament by far AND the best storyline with him not getting his G1 title shot it just makes it worse. That said, I found his other matches disappointing but of course against Ishii they can do no wrong and he more than held up his end because that match was an epic. I think Ishii had one of his finest hours through this tournament and is a surefire BITW contender at the moment.

EVIL also had 3 strong performances and solidified himself as the #2 in LIJ & a respectable dude in the NJ hierarchy.

The rest was pretty ho-hum, but Ishii's matches against Omega & Shibata were GREAT and must-see, my 2 favorite matches in NJPW this year.

Shibata/Okada should be good, don't really get why they aren't saving it for a bigger show though, it was one of their last big aces in the hole.
    Mercedes McQueen

Bitch~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator LIGER FEVER)

Status

I would've been disappointed if Ishii won and challenged Okada as I feel like Ishii should already just have the right to a title shot. It would have been interesting though to see what Okada would do. Ishii losing here and not getting his G1 title shot could play into something down the line though.

I think Shibata won't beat Okada, his NJC run is just to continue his story. The match is just a way to insert Shibata into the main event scene imo. He will have a good performance that will get people behind him even more but he will fall short. It will build anticipation for when he finally wins the big one in 2018 or whenever. This year's going to be mainly about Omega/Okada/Naito but Shibata's big moment will come after. This year's too soon so no point making it a big show. Itll be a big show next year though most likely.

Spoiler:

POWERFUL RANGERS

Zero
    Silk
    Shake
    Benwah
    HoHo

Scumbag Role Model

Status
    Living in Norfolk, VA. Born in Boston, Mass.

Shibata winning the cup is great. Only watched the first round stuff so I have a lot to catch up with.
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

Taichi-Gun Member

Status

NJPW Re: New Japan Cup 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Ishii has been fantastic in the tournament, Vs Omega Vs Sanada and Vs Shibata have been the best three matches of the tournament was hoping he'd win it but.......

s
    p
    o
    i
    l
    e
    r
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !

Shibata challenged Okada

SHIBATA VS OKADA

IT'S FINALLY ON

FIRST TIME SINCE 2013

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

So much for his affair costing him any big push. Hopefully this is him finally out of that NEVER title loop.
    Is the match confirmed? He may go for Natio, allowing Ishii to face Okada.
    家に帰る

Status

He called out Okada.

Spoiler:

POWERFUL RANGERS

Zero
    Silk
    Shake
    Benwah
    HoHo

Taichi-Gun Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PowerfulShake View Post
    He called out Okada.
    Ok, I'm currently watching it now but I already knew the winner, or I assumed it.
    家に帰る

The Bastard of Bolton

Status

Not completely up to date with all the matches. But got to be honest as a massive fan of Shibata I'm really glad that he picked up the win in this one. Definitely feel he is more than due his time in the main event scene after being the NEVER division for ages. Have to admit after seeing his fantastic match with Omega part of me was hoping for Ishii to go all the way but if he had to lose I didn't mind it being to Shibata (have to say as well. I could watch Ishii and Shibata slap each other all day. It's brutal haha.) Other than that was really impressed with EVIL. Not sure why but didn't really think much of him until I saw his bout with Tanahashi and I was well impressed. So I'm happy to be wrong about him and I hope to see more opportunities for both him and Sanada in the future.

BTB Legend

Status

Comments

I would have preferred to see Ishii win because I think he's more than earned and more than deserves a chance to have a classic IWGP Heavyweight title match with the ace of the company. That said, I'm still happy Shibata won, especially with the threat of Fale winning, but also because I think he and Okada should rock. I thought Shibata and Ishii's match was good but not at the level of their prior matches, and I think it's because all their matches are built around them beating the shit out of each other and you can only watch that so many times before it all becomes samey.

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

#ThankYouTaker

Status

Tried to watch all the matches before finding out the results but failed miserably. Had Shibata pinned to win this from the start anyway so not shocks there.

Omega/Ishii was a fantastic match and Sanada/Ishii was really good too. Didn't realise just how agile Sanada is for his size. Yet to see Ishii/Shibata but by the sounds of things its a must see so i'll defo try and watch that in the next few days.

Shibata/Okada should be fun as fuck.

Thread Information