Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mental Health Discussion

WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB

Status

Re: Mental Health Discussion

Chugging along over here. Still slipping into my old self-destructive habits here and there but they don't dominate my day-to-day life like they were a few months back.

I was once upon a time looking to get into social work Dave, and some of the courses I took concentrated on mental health, they were ridiculously interesting and I took to it very well; unfortunately life got in the way for me at the time and I wasn't able to carry on to uni because I was needed elsewhere but I reckon you'll find yourself really enjoying that course mate so good luck with that in the future because I always got the feeling that while I'm sure that's a difficult line of work at times, it's also truly rewarding and you'll be making a real difference in peoples lives, and that itself helps with your mental strength I think.

Good luck to you too, Vanye. New meds can be hard work at times. I'm considering getting to the doctors to get on something for my anxiety which is absolutely my biggest issue - I talk myself out of so much stuff just because I get over-anxious about things - so we'll see how that goes.

The Diplomatic Shadow

Status
      Country                    United States

Willingness to start and not freak out about taking new meds is proving a royal pain to me.

And yeah, destructive habits here, as well. I drink too damn much, and henceforth have fatty liver and some inflammation due to it. Doc wants me to lose some weight and cut back.
    Time stood still, and it shared with me all that had been, and all that was to come.

WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB

Status

Once you've started relying on a habit like drinking it can be a bitch to break, especially because it can start so innocently that you don't even realise you're becoming reliant on it until it's become something other people (or your doctor) point out. It's really easy to slip into and potentially very difficult to stop once you notice the pattern.

I used to use smoking as a way to fight anxiety (which is dumb on any number of levels) and I found the easiest way to quit was when I had that trigger moment, the feeling or situation that would set me off down the path to having a cigarette, I replaced the cigarette with something else; a cup of tea (I'm English, sue me), a mint, etc... just something to occupy my time for the same amount of time that a cigarette would, and I would give that thing all of my attention, really focus in on it as if it was the only thing I was interested in for those few minutes - the focusing was the important thing because it would help block out the anxiety because I wouldn't let myself be distracted. I started out having just one go to thing to help quit smoking and once that was out of the way and would cycle through different things - feeling anxious in the morning, have a cuppa, feeling anxious in the afternoon, go out on my bike, feeling anxious in the evening, have a mint, feeling anxious at night, draw, or write, or whatever.

The hardest part of breaking any bad habit is filling the time you used to dedicate to it with other things that aren't as bad for you, but it is possible as long as you allow yourself to accept that you can do it. Sometimes we're our own worst enemies about this kinda stuff. Good luck with it man, I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say we all want you to look after yourself and break that cycle of self-destructive behaviour.

The Diplomatic Shadow

Status

Aye, lad.

It's a vice for anxiety, but I will also admit, I just love the sauce. Always have. I'm not an alcoholic, so to speak. I have no ill effect if I do not drink, other than realizing my anxiety that I have masked by the alcohol. Which makes since, considering it works with the same part of the brain that benzos do.

I'll be smoking a bit more grass, and cutting back from 10 ish beers every other day (Used to be a bottle of vodka a day), to maybe 6 every other day.
    Time stood still, and it shared with me all that had been, and all that was to come.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vayne View Post
    Aye, lad.

It's a vice for anxiety, but I will also admit, I just love the sauce. Always have. I'm not an alcoholic, so to speak. I have no ill effect if I do not drink, other than realizing my anxiety that I have masked by the alcohol. Which makes since, considering it works with the same part of the brain that benzos do.

I'll be smoking a bit more grass, and cutting back from 10 ish beers every other day (Used to be a bottle of vodka a day), to maybe 6 every other day.
    Even though I don't have anxiety or any mental illness to speak of, just an average guy (although I have a lot of confidence and positivity in me these days), grass and alcohol does help put on another level (I only smoke and drink socially, which has been FREQUENTLY over the summer). Just be careful with addiction to alcohol. Best of luck too dude

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

The Diplomatic Shadow

Status

Aye. I've cut back majorly.

Thanks, man.

Thread Information