Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Mental Health Discussion

Hail To The King

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Mental Health Discussion

Hoping everyone is feeling better i know that recently people been going through stuff but yiu guys have been good to me hope to return favor

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Established Veteran

Status
      Country                    Wales

A therapist once told me to be open and honest when things are tough so err here goes.

My real name is Neil and i'm a 34 year old, married father of 3. I am currently battling extreme anxiety and I am feeling rather low. One of my good friends is battling an aggressive form of cancer, and my boy child has ADHD and ASD...coupled with major anger issues. My contract at work is due to end at the end of March and there's been nothing to say if i'm being kept on or being let go. Add all this together and it's easy to see why i'm struggling a little.

I am struggling at the moment to find enjoyment in anything, and at this moment in time it is hard to see a way out. I am able to mask some of my issues by partaking in online stuff, like this forum, however I can't mask it any more.

I need to take a step away from things for a little while so I can concentrate on the more important things in life.

You guys are an amazing bunch here, so keep doing what you're doing.

Shall see you all soon.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Established Veteran

Status

Update....Doctor has given me diazepam of all things to help ease some of the anxiety eurgh. Horrid things but shall do as i'm told. Also need to take a few days R&R time. Stay awesome WC members.

Hail To The King

Status

Damn Baldy we will miss you but good to see u take first steps in a better direction

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

THEY COULD'VE BEEN GODS~!!!

Status

I hate to see you go all this anxiety Baldrick. It's good that the doctors gave you some meds to combat it, because it's consuming you to a point of no return and I don't want it to defeat you. We are all friends here to comfort you. You need to get some rest and take a break for awhile and find yourself, defeat anxiety and become your old self again. We're here for you man.

FANTASY SPORTS CHAMPIONSHIPS
    BASEBALL: 2014 | FOOTBALL: 2016 | BASKETBALL: 2017-18

Established Veteran

Status

I'm really hesitant to take the Diazepam to be honest...given it has stupid addictive components. Got a full day of R&R tomorrow so hopefully that will help.

Also really appreciate the support from you guys. Granted we're all just people behind a screen but a problem shared and all that.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I'm really hesitant to take the Diazepam to be honest...given it has stupid addictive components. Got a full day of R&R tomorrow so hopefully that will help.

Also really appreciate the support from you guys. Granted we're all just people behind a screen but a problem shared and all that.
    I just mentioned a page back how doctors and pharmaceutical companies are pushing pills on us for things like anxiety and depression, when really they're completely normal things that we've dealt with for millenniums without pills. Pills have only been around since the 1950s, but anxiety is something that has been a survival and adaption technique for us since the beginning of time.

I wouldn't take them. I would explore other methods. But at the same time I've never dealt with the level of anxiety you have I imagine, and so I truly don't know. I know it can be hard to find other methods and the pills seem like the best answer.

Personally one of my favorite coping methods is mindfulness and meditation. It does wonders. And perhaps maybe that's why up until the 1950s everyone DID do fine without pills...

Think about it. When we had no electricity, once it was dark we went to sleep. There was nothing else to do. And so often times people would just lay there in bed. Lots of mediation going on.

Established Veteran

Status

Cheers for the tips Sully. I've decided against taking them for now. Will take them back to the pharmacy is they aren't needed anyway.

I'm usually ok with the whole mindfulness stuff, however, using today as an example I can't really settle enough to get into it, if that makes any sense whatsoever. I'll be forcing myself into a mountain trail/nature walk if the weather is decent enough tomorrow. I do find the peacefulness and scenery quite really helps me so fingers crossed.

One day at a time and all that.

Get Bitches.

Status
      Country                    UK

I semi-agree, but I don't think you should be afraid of pills.

At some point, anxiety can just overwhelm you to that extent that you can't function. You can't be unwell, or unrested, and still function at work, and be a good spouse and father. That's where pharmaceutical help comes into play. When there is no other alternative.

Now, I do otherwise agree - if you can live a healthy life style through mindfulness and meditation, that's great. So I think it's smart to see how things go after a little rest, but if that 'edge' doesn't come off, don't be afraid of taking the pills.

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    I just mentioned a page back how doctors and pharmaceutical companies are pushing pills on us for things like anxiety and depression, when really they're completely normal things that we've dealt with for millenniums without pills. Pills have only been around since the 1950s, but anxiety is something that has been a survival and adaption technique for us since the beginning of time.

I wouldn't take them. I would explore other methods. But at the same time I've never dealt with the level of anxiety you have I imagine, and so I truly don't know. I know it can be hard to find other methods and the pills seem like the best answer.

Personally one of my favorite coping methods is mindfulness and meditation. It does wonders. And perhaps maybe that's why up until the 1950s everyone DID do fine without pills...

Think about it. When we had no electricity, once it was dark we went to sleep. There was nothing else to do. And so often times people would just lay there in bed. Lots of mediation going on.
    I definitely don't want to start a whole argument but: did they do fine? Hasn't there been a long-running stigma towards mental health issues that we are still working to get past today? Would people be as forthcoming with the sort of struggles they were going back then as they are now? Would they admit that they aren't able to get through it? Or would they hold their tongue and maintain that they're doing fine when they aren't? Is there as much evidence about how people did dealing with those mental health issues as there are now when people are more willing to admit to these struggles and there are an increasing amount of studies about it?

I'm not 100% sure I agree with the idea that people back then simply knew how to deal with it better than we do today. I'm not huge on taking prescriptions to get through issues as well but it at-times comes across like they're being wholly demonized where it can really be a saving grace for some people. As with everything, I think there's a balance to be had.

Established Veteran

Status

Spent a good 4/5 hours out in the fresh air today and wow what a difference that has made...so far at least. My mind is still a bit all over the place given everything that has been going on, however I feel so much more relaxed, which is a big thing. I'm back in work tomorrow so will have to see how that goes but again one step at a time.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jon View Post
    I definitely don't want to start a whole argument but: did they do fine? Hasn't there been a long-running stigma towards mental health issues that we are still working to get past today? Would people be as forthcoming with the sort of struggles they were going back then as they are now? Would they admit that they aren't able to get through it? Or would they hold their tongue and maintain that they're doing fine when they aren't? Is there as much evidence about how people did dealing with those mental health issues as there are now when people are more willing to admit to these struggles and there are an increasing amount of studies about it?

I'm not 100% sure I agree with the idea that people back then simply knew how to deal with it better than we do today. I'm not huge on taking prescriptions to get through issues as well but it at-times comes across like they're being wholly demonized where it can really be a saving grace for some people. As with everything, I think there's a balance to be had.
    I would agree with this. I do completely agree on Sully that Doctor's are too quick to medicate and often don't take the time to diagnose properly, whether its mental health or other ailments (my godmother will spend the rest of her life in a wheelchair because of this wonderful phenomenon). But I don't believe that a lot of the mental health problems never existed in the past.

Part of the issue is diagnosis. I took a mental health first aid course about six months ago, and a great point that stuck with me was that a lot of mental health disorders that we recognize now were not recognized in the not-so-distant past. That weird uncle who "doesn't like people" and lives alone in a cabin in the woods... he quite possibly has a social anxiety disorder. That funny but weird "eccentric" aunt... might be bipolar. That weird kid down the road who is so moody.... he could be on the autism spectrum.

Another part of the issue is basis of comparison. Because there was less understanding and less diagnosis in the past, even the recent past, it makes it hard to compare over time. Its like studying cancer. Mortality rates due to cancer can be complicated as you move back into the past. Because cancer wasn't diagnosed as accurately and a lot of deaths by cancer were passed off as other ailments or "natural death". I very much believe that modern lifestyles and many of the products we use contribute to higher cancer rates but its hard to know how much.

Stress is a hormonal response of the body. Going back to early humans living in caves and having to run away from predators. Living in the early industrial era was massively stressful on the common people, and a lot of workers self-medicated with alcohol. That's not necessarily dealing with the stressors any better. House wives in the 50s resorted to legal forms of speed. Self-medication. Again, that's not really dealing with the stress or the stressors.

Established Veteran

Status

Strangely i'm feeling a lot better after having a productive day in work yesterday followed by a mad rush getting my youngest to the on call doctors for tonsillitis. Strange have been so damn busy has allowed me to feel a hell of a lot better.

Established Veteran

Status

Day 2 of feeling pretty good. Not sure if I feel well enough to resume full normality but one step at a time and all that. Just want to thank you guys again for your support.

Get Bitches.

Status
      Country                    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Day 2 of feeling pretty good. Not sure if I feel well enough to resume full normality but one step at a time and all that. Just want to thank you guys again for your support.
    There you go... just remember, there will be bad days. Stay strong when they happen.

Something slightly related - I just finished reading the book Mindset by Carol Dweck.

You know how people say a book changed their life? This one legitimately did change mine. A lot of my stress came from work, and how I handled myself. In the USA, I never really had an issue socially - and really, for the most part, when I moved to the UK I was okay in most circumstances. I struggled initially to feel comfortable around all the different culture, but I really struggled in the workplace. People are just downright negative in the UK - or London, at least. To the extent where will they mock positivity to your face. To an outsider, that can be pretty degrading.

The book changed me a bit though. I realized I had to lead & stay confident, despite the expectation of failure. And where I was really failing, I pointing at their negativity as the problem. That was putting a target on my back. And that target is still there, but maybe not as easily hit as it once was.

Enough about me - I REALLY recommend the book. I don't recommend books often, especially not business/self-help books, but I think this one is up there with Dale Carnegie's How to Make Friends & Influence people.

Thread Information