Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Mental Health Discussion

Brick Shithouse

Status

Re: Mental Health Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Way to go Shock! Fell on your feet quickly so soon after moving. What line of work are you moving into?

you can relax for a week now watching Dolph Ziggler matches
    Finance and pensions. It's sort of an entry level role with a big firm while I do my accountancy course and develop a bit.

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    An update from me, I got offered the job from my second interview and start on Monday next week. So chuffed because it's the job I really wanted and now I can relax for a few days instead of job hunting.

Now I'm anxious about starting the new job as most people are, but I feel so much better now. Thanks for all the support guys.
    Awesome news. Hopefully that nervous energy will now help you as you start your new adventure.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Status

Congrats, Shock.

Get Bitches.

Status
      Country                    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Finance and pensions. It's sort of an entry level role with a big firm while I do my accountancy course and develop a bit.
    Congrats.... I assume the course is to become a chartered accountant?

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Going through the interview process to look for a move from the business I've been with for 6 years. Just need a change and a new challenge, feeling mentally fatigued. The interview process can be a pain in the ass so glad to see you scores so soon.

Well done, Shock.

Internet Favorite

Status

Anybody doing anything for Movember next month?

Legit

Status

I do like to attempt to grow something but I’m unfortunately follicly challenged on my face. My grandad is finishing up his prostate cancer treatment (he’s almost completely clear now) so Movember has always been a big thing for me.

However my job means I can’t look scruffy, so I will try and do something else for it this year.

[Your Name]

Status
      Country                    England

I have facial hair permanently so I'm sorta disqualified from Movember

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Brick Shithouse

Status

Yeh I've always got a beard too but I've never been into Movember to be honest.

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

I did Movember in 2012 because about 10 of us at work were doing it and collecting money as a department from the hospital which I think is the better way to do it, you don't look like as much as a wally if all the guys have one as well. I'd never do it solo.

I think beards coming into fashion as much as they have this decade sort of killed the idea of this is something wacky, or even challenging, to do in a month to not shave. Like literally what is the point of Decembeard when at least half the male population have a beard now. I'd sooner give money to make a mate go clean shaven again.

Internet Favorite

Status

Movember isn't just about growing a bear...you can raise money for exercising more (More movement = better mental health kind of thing). This year the foundation is even promoting throwing a party where males can openly talk about mens health which is something different.

I also personally stopped going the moustache route a few years ago but have gone the movement route, and will be doing so again this year. It has a bit more of a personal thing this year too as my manager is battling testicular cancer that has spread a bit.

Get Bitches.

Status

In a somewhat funny story. I've found quite a few different ways to help sleep. Inability to sleep is the primary symptom when I experience anxiety. Luckily no panic attacks lately - and even really no anxiety.

Last night I wasn't feeling great. Whole weather change has my nose clogged, sore throat... the usual. And the thing is when I can't fall asleep right away, that's what I get anxiety. Like the whole, "Oh here we go again - guess we'll be seeing the sun rise" thing.

That didn't happen. Read a book. Moved over to the futon, where the anxiety subsides - because it really is just in bed that it happens - and I'm out cold.

Before doing that though, I decided to push my alarm back to 10am. My office is super relaxed, and I had done quite a bit of work over the weekend thanks to a dickhead vendor, so I knew there'd be no issues.

Normal work day, minus the discussion about pansexual shared amongst the office workers. The topic then adjusts to who was first in the office. It's a bit of a competition we have, which I usually win. I like to work out before work, steal all the strawberries we get delivered, then slowly start my work day before my coworkers come in.

Of the 7 people in the office, 4 of them all said I was there before them.

The truth is, I was the last in - at 11am.

More importantly, here's a few of the things I did to relieve some of my anxiety.

- I don't take any supplements besides a one-a-day. Before I tried things like Kava, Ashwaghanda, nyquil sleep aid. They didn't do anything besides cause anxiety about the fact I didn't take them.

- I've established a bit of a routine. I think it's something I need work on, as it's almost become rigid where if I don't do things that way it causes some disruption. Like, "shit, I didn't get a chance to practice my Spanish on Duolingo today!"

- I work out most mornings, and I don't work late anymore. That was one of my biggest struggles. If I just spent all day in the office, I really just felt unfulfilled for the day.

- If I feel anxiety coming on, there's a few things I do (escalating in order) 1.) I read contemporary fiction; David Sedaris is my favorite. 2.) I like to take a walk along the river. Hopefully I don't ever get stabbed. I am in London's east end. 3.) I'll sleep on the futon instead of my bed. 4.) I use calm to meditate.

Internet Favorite

Status

Thanks for sharing...even more so as today is world mental health day.

I'm glad you have found a routine that allows you to get some decent sleep as sleeping does help ease the anxiety...as without sleep it just gets worse...everything is worse with MH when you haven't had enough rest.

The Diplomatic Shadow

Status
      Country                    United States

I can really only grow sideburns, hair on my chin, and a Mexistach. If I don't shave the rest, I just get random scraggly hairs on my cheeks and neck. However, my brother only recently began to be able to grow a beard, and hes a bit older than I am. So there is hope...kinda.

Unfortunately, until then, I can't really partake so much.
    My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity

Internet Favorite

Status

I'm all geared up for getting my move on...even if the weather sounds like it's going to be crap for November haha...best find myself a wetsuit.

Status

Regarding Mo-vember.... I've never participated because I always been told one must start clean shaven. I don't always have a beard but I haven't been clean shaven since a few days after I graduated high school. Which was 21 years ago, so over half my life-time. So yeah.... not happening. I like the idea, but...

Thread Information