Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: WC Fantasy Baseball 2017

Captain Hammered

Status

Re: WC Fantasy Baseball 2017

I'd be fine with either draft. I've seen keeper leagues done something like this:

If a player was drafted in:

Rd. 1-5 - Cost is pick 1 Rd. higher
    Rd. 6-10 - Cost is pick 2 Rd. higher
    Rd. 11-15 - Cost is pick 3 Rd. higher
    Rd. 16-20 - Cost is pick 4 Rd. higher

So if a guy was drafted in Round 11 last year, he would be kept in the 8th Rd. this year. If you wanted to keep him again next year, he would cost a 6th. Then a 4th. Then 3rd, etc. Idk how many rounds we'd have, so my numbers up there aren't perfect, but I'd be in favor of a similar setup.

God's Gift to God

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I'd be fine with either draft. I've seen keeper leagues done something like this:

If a player was drafted in:

Rd. 1-5 - Cost is pick 1 Rd. higher
    Rd. 6-10 - Cost is pick 2 Rd. higher
    Rd. 11-15 - Cost is pick 3 Rd. higher
    Rd. 16-20 - Cost is pick 4 Rd. higher

So if a guy was drafted in Round 11 last year, he would be kept in the 8th Rd. this year. If you wanted to keep him again next year, he would cost a 6th. Then a 4th. Then 3rd, etc. Idk how many rounds we'd have, so my numbers up there aren't perfect, but I'd be in favor of a similar setup.
    I could get behind something like this. Would add more of a strategic risk in drafting and stockpiling prospects.

Striving for a B+ in life

Status
      Country                    United States

I like Shawn's setup.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

God's Gift to God

Status

So if we ran that is it in the scope of no limit on keepers then?

ily

Status

Yeah. If you keep a dude 2 straight years at Round 1, maybe you have to take a penalty. But I like his idea for how the round value rises incrementally.

2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Captain Hammered

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One View Post
    Yeah. If you keep a dude 2 straight years at Round 1, maybe you have to take a penalty. But I like his idea for how the round value rises incrementally.
    Well, if I understand your correctly, you couldn't keep the same dude 2 straight years at Rd 1. If you picked him last year in Rd 2, he'd be a 1 this year. He wouldn't be able to be kept next year, because there's nothing higher than a 1st to give up.

God's Gift to God

Status

Im not sure how I feel about that in regards to R1 picks. Giving up your R1 every year isn't a small price to pay. If you pick trout this year and want to keep him but can't that's kinda lame. It does get him back in the pool. But overall if the idea is to keep players with no limits then I don't know how that plays out.

Maybe if you're on a R1 forfeit and want to keep that player you forfeit R1 and whatever round ends that tier. So R1 and R5. Then it progresses every year.

Or maybe you give up R1 and the original round they were drafted. Then if you keep past that it follows the same progression like Shawn mentioned.

So paid a 1st for a guy and want him the next year. Pay the 1st again and whatever round he was taken at. Then after that it bumps up to whatever the next tier is and so on. Up to the point where if this goes long term as a league you'd be paying R1 and R2 for one guy which is pretty steep.

ily

Captain Hammered

Status

Interesting thought - but how would you fill your roster losing two picks? Just have to add an FA after the draft?

I think having a limit as I said above to when a guy can no longer be kept increases trade activity. If I'm out of it and I have a guy who can be kept in R1 next year and I know I could only keep him through next year, I can try to unload him to a contender to stockpile for next year. If I can keep him forever, then I'd be silly to trade him at that point. Know what I mean?

God's Gift to God

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Interesting thought - but how would you fill your roster losing two picks? Just have to add an FA after the draft?

I think having a limit as I said above to when a guy can no longer be kept increases trade activity. If I'm out of it and I have a guy who can be kept in R1 next year and I know I could only keep him through next year, I can try to unload him to a contender to stockpile for next year. If I can keep him forever, then I'd be silly to trade him at that point. Know what I mean?
    To answer the first q yes. If you trade picks or end up short on actual picks then you'll just use free agency.

I feel like a limit is fine it's just getting it right. That's where the 3 years and done thing came from. But if we don't want to do that then some sort of system will need done. I feel like opening up trades to reset clocks would allow too much fuckery between people. I'm not sure really where the balanced eye is.

ily

God's Gift to God

Status

Also if you can't fufil the keeper cost but trade with someone who can I feel like that can open up the can of worms I mentioned in the previous post. Without really anaslying it I feel like that can be abused. But idk. I'm at work so i can't math it out. I just don't want weird loopholes where people can essentially just swap teams

ily

stressed but chillin

Status

I'm fine with keepers dependent on league size and I'm all for the live drafting too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoiler:

God's Gift to God

Status

Did some looking around and found this on reddit:

Keep up to 3 players. We don't have to do this number it can change.

For the first 2 consecutive years a player is kept, he is slotted 2 rounds higher than he was drafted the previous year. Beginning with the 3rd consecutive year, the draft slot penalty increases by one round each year.

Using this system, the longest consecutive period a player could be kept would be 6 years - similar to the pre-free agency period in MLB. With 23-man rosters, only players that were undrafted or chosen in the 23rd (final) round could ever be kept for 6 years consecutively.

So here's a hypothetical example of a player drafted in Round 23 in 2014 who was designated as keeper for the full 6 years. His draft slotting would look like this:

2015-Year 1 (-2 rds) = 21st round2016-Year 2 (-2 rds) = 19th round2017-Year 3 (-3 rds) = 16th round2018-Year 4 (-4 rds) = 12th round2019-Year 5 (-5 rds) = 7th round2020-Year 6 (-6 rds) = 1st round2021-Free Agency

ily

God's Gift to God

Status

That was copy pasta. I think at least 25 players per roster

ily

Status

I don't like not being able to keep someone a 2nd straight year at R1. Like Cox said, there should be a penalty (Round 5, for instance) if the keeper can't go any higher.

So say I am keeping my R1 and R2 guys a second straight year and they obviously can't go up. I should forfeit my R5 and R6 picks. If it's R1, 2, and 3, then I forfeit R 5, 6, and 7. That's a steep price to pay for two players but if I want to pay it, I should be allowed.

2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

God's Gift to God

Status

I like the idea of getting players back into the pool. It keeps things fresh AND helps the teams that came up short restock. This is where the no limit on keepers scares me. The more I look into it the more 3 feels like the right number for a 25 man roster. I really want this to have the longevity that zeros league has had and keeping people engaged.

The format from Reddit seemed decent but it's essentially the same as the one Shawn posted. And for us i wanna keep it simple and easily manageable but fun. So if we roll with shawns format I'd say if you want to keep a R1 pick you give up your R5 as well. Then the next year R1 R 5 and R4 and so on. In a sense it will be like arbitration and keeps escalating. I doubt anyone would pay a full 5 rounds for anyone including trout.

Alternately maybe the additional penalty every year is like every 5 rounds rounded up. So say next year it would be R1 R5. Then the third would be R1 R5 R10. Fourth would be R1 R5 R10 R15 and so on. This way you aren't gutting your draft but it is forcing you to make tough calls. Do you keep trout for a third year and pass on keeping your dope r10? So follow shawns format with the extended keeper rules being that. So we can theoretically keep guys long term while also paying for it.

ily

Captain Hammered

Status

Would guys keep keeper status if traded? IE if you kept Trout this year and traded him to me at DL, would I be able to keep him? If so, would the penalty be the same for me as it would be if you kept him yourself?

Also, what about FA? I'm in favor of FA additions being kept at their ADP. So the lucky guy who picked up Judge last year would be able to keep him, but it would cost his (probably) 1st Round pick.

Status

The penalty should be the same, otherwise people will trade big stars at the deadline as a glitch.

2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

God's Gift to God

Status

Yeah keeper status wouldn't reset. Then everyone would just trade their entire rosters

ily

God's Gift to God

Status

Meaning the keeper penalties are tied to the player not the owners

ily

Thread Information