Thread: UFC 208: Holm vs de Randamie - DISCUSSION

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

UFC 208: Holm vs de Randamie - DISCUSSION

Event: UFC 208: "Holm vs. de Randamie"
    Date: Sat., Feb. 11, 2017
    Broadcast: Pay-Per-View (PPV)

UFC 208 PPV Main Event:
    145 pounds: Holly Holm vs. Germaine de Randamie for inaugural women’s Featherweight title

UFC 208 PPV Main Card (10 p.m. ET):
    185 lbs.: Anderson Silva vs. Derek Brunson
    185 lbs.: Jacare Souza vs. Tim Boetsch
    205 lbs.: Glover Teixeira vs. Jared Cannonier
    155 lbs.: Dustin Poirier vs. Jim Miller

UFC 208 “Prelims” Undercard on FOX Sports 1 (8 p.m. ET):
    170 lbs.: Randy Brown vs. Belal Muhammad
    135 lbs.: Wilson Reis vs. Ulka Sasaki
    145 lbs.: Nik Lentz vs. Islam Makhachev
    125 lbs.: Ian McCall vs. Jarred Brooks

UFC 208 “Prelims” Undercard on UFC Fight Pass (7 p.m. ET):
    265 lbs.: Marcin Tybura vs. Justin Willis — Scrapped
    170 lbs.: Roan Carneiro vs. Ryan LaFlare
    145 lbs.: Rick Glenn vs. Phillipe Nover

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Prince Of Joshi

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Re: UFC 208: Holm vs de Randamie - DISCUSSION

Featherweight title for UFC man Holm is big for the 145 pounds don't you think Shake? I mean I've seen Boxers over the years move up and then move constantly and all that slimming down hurts them because that's not their natural weight. I don't know what Holm usually fought at in Kickboxing, but you look at Holm and she's to me 160 maybe it's the height. If she wins Saturday she would be the first Woman to ever win a title in two Weight Classes in the UFC!

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

God's Gift to God

Status

Calling Boetsch for the upset now

ily

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Really want Holly to lose this, she lost 2 in a row and doesn't deserve a Title shot, especially after Valentina out Holm'd her.

Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif

BTB Legend

Status

Comments

I'm picking Holm to get the win late on after wearing de Randamie down. I think Brunson cracks Silva, likely early, and puts him down. Silva's chin really is an unknown factor, though, because it's rarely if ever been tested, so we have no idea if Silva can still take a punch or even if he ever could. Even so, I don't think many can take the power that Brunson can dish out. I have Boetsch and Cannonier both down for upset victories. Boetsch has heavy hands and I think he might get Souza with something short and sudden. Cannonier has usually been a heavyweight and I think his power will carry over into light heavyweight, and I'm thinking Teixeira's chin might have been cracked after Rumble got done with it. Business wise, I wouldn't be shocked if this hits Demetrious Johnson territory. Action wise, I think the main card will be carrying things.

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

Certified G

Status

Ian McCalls fights off. This is the fourth time since July he's had a fight cancelled, lad can't catch a break

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

every fight will be a blast since i'm getting fucked up

but yeah, holm vs randamie is meh. the division is meh overall really. bit of a bogus match imo.

excited for anderson tho, really gutted mccall's fight off as his opponent was hilarious in Pancrase calling everyone a cunt, would've been gold seeing him on the mic.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

God's Gift to God

Status

The W145 is meaningless without Cyborg. It gives them some wiggle room to bring someone like Anderson in to try and create some excitement but the Cyborg division was more interesting than this. If GdM wins then what? At least Holm has a name people know, even coming off of two losses. Best case for that situation would be bringing Anderson in and hitching the wagon to her and pushing that title fight to make her the star of the division. Holm can fight pretty much anyone (assuming she looks decent) and draw SOMETHING.

idk

Tempted to buy the card because this is one of those cards that doesn't sound exciting on paper but will probably be explosive.

BTB Legend

Status

Comments

Between the generally lacklustre fights, questionable judging throughout the evening, and amateurish officiating in the main event, I think everyone is glad that UFC 208 is over and done with. I had Holm winning the main event 48-47 but one of the rounds, I think the fourth, was so uneventful that I would accept a similar score for de Randamie. However, that would entail de Randamie not getting docked any points, and she should have been docked at least one point for repeatedly hitting Holm after the bell. Todd Anderson was horrible. That guy shouldn’t be officiating a children’s tea party let alone the main event of a UFC pay-per-view.

Next for de Randamie will be Cyborg, who, wouldn’t you know it, is probably going to get her request granted for a retroactive TUE for the drugs she failed her test for. It’s not exactly a shock that USADA would put money before the rules, but do they have to be so blatant after they already let Mayweather bury himself balls deep into their ass over his IV usage?

I don’t know what they can do with Holm now that she’s once again looked uninspired. Even had Holm won, it was such a poor fight and uninspired performance, that it wouldn’t have made the Cyborg fight, or any fight, feel like it was one you had to see.

Anderson Silva got a late christmas present in the form of his unanimous decision win over Derek Brunson. At best he won one round, so how in the hell one judge gave him all three is a mystery they ought to dig up Robert Stack to solve. Souza walked through Boetsch as I expected him to; I knew Boetsch winning was a long shot, but I still picked it, figuring there would be at least one upset in the top fights. There was, but not in the fights I had picked them to be in. Teixeira dominated Cannonier and he won the fight but he really lost because he looked like a totally different fighter from prior to the Johnson fight. Teixeira went from aggressive in both stand up and ground work to being content to hold someone down and do the bare minimum to get by. I think Johnson did more than knock Teixeira out; I think he knocked the heart right out of him.

The many lowlights of the undercard were highlighted by Doug Crosby judging the Makhachev/Lentz fight. Why a lowlight? Not because Crosby is a terrible judge, although he is. But because he happens to be friends with Nik Lentz. Say, NYSAC, do you not think it would be a boffo idea that judges don’t judge fights involving their friends?

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

God's Gift to God

Status

Holm is pretty much gatekeeper alpha at this point. Anyone that beats her gets a rub off that Rousey win. Even though that makes zero sense since Rousey and Holm have gotten smashed lately.

If cyborg IS able to fight then do the title match while you can. Bring Anderson in to fight Holm and then Anderson and cyborg can fight at wrestlemania yo

ily

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Anderson Silva and Holly Holm are their own worst enemies. Anderson is just to content to clown around and dance while barely fighting. And Holly is too technical, she takes zero risks, has no killer instinct, she's happy to just score points. All of her fights in the UFC except the Rousey fight and Mieshas comeback have been so dull. She's a world class striker but she's too afraid to really show it and commit to anything, you compare that to Joanna who just goes out out and destroys chicks.

Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif

Thread Information