Thread: ESPN 30 for 30: This was the XFL

Pain does not lie

Status
    ="text-align:left">   Country                    Puerto Rico

ESPN 30 for 30: This was the XFL

I wonder how Vince feels about the NFL now? He called it the No fun league back then in 2000/2001 and now between replay problems, changes in the game like you can't touch the Receiver after 5 yards he must call it the pussy league now

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

Moon Vulcan S-Mod

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: ESPN 30 for 30: This was the XFL

So I watched this and thought it was an okay telling of the XFL story. It seemed like a lot of it was designed to take as much heat as possible off Vince & co. for doing stupid things and chalk it up to "bad luck early on and bad football" which were true early on but I really don't think were the be-all end all to why the XFL failed.

Loved seeing He Hate Me & his passion for XFL & football, obviously I loved him playing for the Panthers and honestly his heartbreak at the league folding was probably the highlight of the thing. On the other hand Bob Costas comes across as one of the most smug & unlikable overly liberal pricks I could imagine.

I've always thought that a redone XFL or similar type of second tier league could work and feel even more strongly about it today with Goodell hatred running rampant & seeming distrust of the league as a whole. Multiple hungry markets, and renegade ex star players that are bigger than anyone the original league. They'd need a strong TV deal, and a legit # of teams tho.
    Shoot Shoot Punch Punch Kick Break Your Limbs And Your Face

The soul of Billy Robinson lives on~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator LIGER FEVER)

Status

Saw this, and yes with Vince involved you knew it would be a little slanted. What's an interesting companion piece to this is the podcast episode Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard on this very topic. Very interesting how little Vince actually put into the actual football aspect of this. Sounds insane, but the podcast is fun because it's a behind the scenes of what was happening with the WWE at the time.

Dak Lives Matter!

Status

This league could have been better if the quality of the game was better too. Yeah, some of the rules were just crazy, but the quality of play wasn't great either.
    Keeping the candle burning for Carl

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

How long did they give them between the draft and opening weekend? One preseason game and a few weeks? And then the fuel thing when the awesome game went off the air.

There were a lot of issues. The biggest seemed to be WWE and NBC didn't completely agree on what it was supposed to be: quality pro football or over-the-top shock-factor entertainment. Either one could work and pull an OK audience but it seemed they scrambled on either side to fit both interests and it looked half-baked.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

The saw is family!

Status

I truly believe that this league was doomed to failure from day one bc people had already had enough football with the completion of college and the NFL seasons.

Fans want their sports in-season. Adding more football was just a bad idea as fans were burned out on it and needed a break from it.

Thread Information