Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nash In China 2017

Status

Re: Nash In China 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Nash View Post
    I would more than happily show them around and take them for dinner.
    nash with the heavy cringe

If that is the case, shoot me a PM and I'll pass over my email address. In fact, fuck it, I'll send it to you anyway if they have any questions about anything.
    you described your email like it was your social security number in the past, i'm surprised you'd give it out to someone

Dak Lives Matter!

Status
      Country                    United States

Nash, have you met Tong P.o. yet?
    Keeping the candle burning for Carl

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kayla View Post
    nash with the heavy cringe

you described your email like it was your social security number in the past, i'm surprised you'd give it out to someone
    Peep's an old friend, I would do the same for most guys here, and I'm not on about the one I use for the site (which is gmail so isn't accessible in China without a VPN), this is my work one which I always have access to, so suck a dick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    Truthfully Duke I probably did a boner at times. I took School after I was held back in the 3rd Grade seriously maybe too seriously at times. I wished I would of enjoyed it a bit more. I think my path is still being made to be honest.

Fantrax Premiership \ Fantrax Division 1

WC Fantrax Premiership

2014 - 20/12/5 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2015 - 21/14/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2016 - 21/14/1 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2017 - 20/15/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

Another ridiculous month of activities. Can't remember the last time I was so wiped from weeks of just pure walking and ... doing stuff like a normal person. Can barely move my legs today. Here's what I've been up to.

My parents came to visit me for the first time since I arrived here nearly a year ago. Mum and Dad are 56 and 55 years old respectively, so I was wondering how they'd take to the city, country and Chinese poeple in general. My Dad has visited China (and many other parts of Asia) several times on business, but my Mum is very much a little englander. Doesn't even eat Chinese takeaway (or Indian either for that matter), doesn't drink alcohol, tea or coffee, just Diet Coke all day every day. She's also very fussy about manners and the like, something that Chinese people lack in abudance.

They were here for 2 weeks, and we hit all the major tourist spots. I always tell people to come visit around April/May time. Pollution is at a minimum, there's plenty of National Holidays so I don't have to take too much time off work, and the temperature is hot enough to enjoy walking around but not too stifling where you instantly soak with sweat just by leaving the house. Here's some photos of the major stuff we did:

Huang Hua Cheng - Great Wall

Spoiler:

My second ever visit to Great Wall, but my first ever visit to this particular section. Hired a fantastic driver called Mr. Pei who took us 2 hours to a section of the wall which merges with a vast lake. I'm not sure about the history of the place because everything was in characters, but it sure was beautiful. The section is only 7.7 miles long, but we still only managed about a third of that. 3 hours later, we woke our boy Mr Pei up who was asleep in the carpark and he took us back. 7 hours for 50 quid. Not bad.

Temple Of Heaven

Spoiler:

Next up was a good old fashioned Temple trip around the most famous Buddhist/Taoist place in Beijing. Arguably the highlight for me, it was absolutely gorgeous. It was built in the early 1400's and the whole place is Feng Shui'd out the arse - everything is perfectly aligned, Sun and Moon temples facing east and west on an exact tangent to the main bulding (above). The complex itself was massive and in full bloom, it's a shame that Mao went HAM and smashed a lot of these Taoist shrines down during the Cultural Revolution because when the suns shining, the gold of the statues is all glimmering and shit, there's little cute Chinese school kids running around on their school trips trying to learn English from you, traditional Chinese harps playing in the background... It's what you picture old fashioned China to be like. Here's a pic of my Dad looking creepy with said children.

Summer Palace

Spoiler:

Probably the second most famous thing in Beijing outside of Tian'anmen Square. Summer Palace is the largest royal park in China, and was built (in it's current iteration) by Empress Dowager Cixi (can't help but think of Cersei whenever I read that). It was a bit of an experience as a Brit, because every sign kept talking about how the Anglo-French force burnt down the previous one in the 1800's that was apparently much more impressive. I'm a bit skeptical of this, seeing as that was the Napoleonic Era and I'm pretty sure England and French never teamed up to take on China during that period, but if that's what they wanna tell people that's what they wanna tell people. Also, the English have never really been ones for burning down cultural and historical relics, we're more of an oppress the people and socially smackdown the populus.

We took a pedalo out on the lake with a few beers, hiked a bit more, made friends with some elderly Chinese women using my sick mandarin skills, and then hopped on a subway home. Lovely stuff.

Dunno why I'm so fucking miserably in that photo but anyway, here's the view from that huge Palace at the top.

Birds Nest

Spoiler:

Beijing 2008 Olympics is often lauded by the Chinese as (no surprise here) the 'Greatest Olympics in History'. Not quite sure about that, but we had a wander around the Olympic Park anyway. It's a dump. Everything is completely worn down. It was only 9 years ago for gods sake, but the Water Cube was completely run down with paint peeling off everything and the banners looked like they hadn't been changed since the games themselves they were that faded.

Birds Nest was cool, but it's no Wembley or London Olympic, and I've been in at least 10 more impressive stadiums. They do, however, let you walk across the top of it for a tenner each. Shame it was the smoggiest day by far. All in all, definitely the worst thing we did.

(I've left out a lot of stuff. We also did the standard Tiananmen Square stuff, went toa few more parks and temples, parents nipped down to Shanghai for a few days, all good stuff)

My parents absolutely loved it, especially my Dad who does stuff like the Three Peaks and hikes around for fun anyway. My mum barely ate a bite of Chinese food, but managed to find a Tomato and Scrambled Egg dish she liked as well as some Roast Duck. I stuck to a routine of Chinese - Western - Chinese - Western restaurants to appease both parents, so everyone seemed happy enough.

Of course, seeing my parents for the first time in months came with the inevitable 'You drink too much', 'You need sleep', 'When are you coming home and settling down' nonsense, which did wear thin after a few weeks, but spirits were kept high. End of the day, if they miss me enough to talk to me about that stuff, I can't complain. Many people don't have that.

ANYWAYS, they left last Wednesday, and then on Friday I made a trip down to Shanghai to do something I've always wanted to do...

The Chinese Grand Prix

Spoiler:

Yes, I went to the 2nd race on the F1 circuit this weekend, and it was fucking incredible. I've never been a massive F1 guy, I know the racers and who's winning the Drivers Championship, but not like 'omgg McClarens pneumatic suspension driveshaft double hooked winged spoiler is the difference this year' like some pretnetious F1 snobs. I've always wanted to go to an event though, smell the rubber, hear the noise - all the malarchy.

tfw youre hammered and someone shouts selfie at you

My best friend here in BJ is a massive massive F1 fan. As in, grew up loving Ferrari, even had a Ferrari F1 themed birthday for her 15th birthday party. She knew literally every nuance and every driver history, it was great. I had no allegiances so I guess I was supporting Seb Vettel for the day then....

It was around £120 for an entire weekend pass (incl Qualifying and the Porsche Carrera Cup), which I actually think is very reasonably priced considering the demand for tickets is so high and it's a very very exclusive sport - especially in China. I had the choice of going to Hong Kong Rugby 7's (literally the biggest drinkathon imaginable) or the F1, so I'm syaing this year F1, next year HK7s. We had great seats as well, right in the main Grandstand to watch the cars take off.

About the race in general, it actually went a lot quicker than I imagined. For some reason I had it in my mind that F1 races take about 4 hours - but I think I'm soured by the fact my Dad used to watch the entire buildup and then fall asleep as soon as the race started. Hamilton won (much to my friends chagrin), Max Verstappen won my heart so I'm now a Red Bull fan, and the number of Ferrari fans in the crowd outweighed everyone else by about 300:1 (no exaggeration). Check this shit out- Dat noise though.

https://streamable.com/duc5u

The vast majority of crashes happened right in front of us as well, which was a massive plus (noone got hurt dw). The race was a classic, record lap times, tons of overtaking, Verstappen racing through the field in the first 3 laps. The weather was a bit shit, but outside of that 10/10 would 100% go again.

Hamilton is such a smug prick.

Terrific weekend, but got back to Beijing at 2am this morning so am currently fighting off the sleep. And my best mate from hom is coming on Friday for 2 weeks of solid drinking. Fucking April bru.
    Last edited by Nash; 04-09-2017 at 11:19 PM.
    Truthfully Duke I probably did a boner at times. I took School after I was held back in the 3rd Grade seriously maybe too seriously at times. I wished I would of enjoyed it a bit more. I think my path is still being made to be honest.

WC Fantrax Premiership

I'm gonna blame the movies

Status
      Country                    Canada

Good to hear man everything looks like fun!

[07:31 PM] Stonewall Dakson
    : I have a good friend that lives near Seattle. He says I should come visit sometime but that is like the exact opposite side of the country from me.
    [07:31 PM] Jon Snow
    : theyve got planes for that
    [07:31 PM] Stonewall Dakson
    : And those cost lots of money
    [07:32 PM] Jim
    : send yourself in a box without any holes with the USPS. Best case scenario, you get cheap traveling, worst case, you're gone forever
    [10:00 PM] Kairi HoHo
    : Jerk it in my honor Dak bye.
    [06:18 PM]
    Stonewall Dakson
    : Guys, I am going to see President Trump tomorrow.
    [06:19 PM]
    Stonewall Dakson
    : He's holding a rally in the town I live in. Gonna skip outta work and go.
    Stonewall Dakson
    : Not the town I live in, the town I work in.
    RecyCocks
    : You should bring TGR with you
    [06:20 PM]
    Stonewall Dakson
    : If I was taking a long walk off a short pier I would gladly bring TGR with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Death View Post
    Btw Jiggy said I was only a 4 on a scale of 1 to Jon for being annoying so that's my resolution covered.
    BS Mafia 4 Lyfe: Dakstang Dook Duke HoHo Punk Wolf CocksDynamite Creeping Death Swamps

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

hope you sat back and blazed a big fat doob at the top of the Summer Palace. Looks excellent.

Birds Nest is a shithole Were you able to walk around the whole thing or was it just a section of the top?
    ----

----

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~HAVE A NICE DAY~~
    Spoiler:

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PowerfulShake View Post
    hope you sat back and blazed a big fat doob at the top of the Summer Palace. Looks excellent.

Birds Nest is a shithole Were you able to walk around the whole thing or was it just a section of the top?
    I would have fucking loved that me son if it wasn't a 100% guaranteed deportion. A couple of my mates went and camped and dropped acid on the Great Wall, seems sketchy af to me but they loved it.

Yeah you could go round the whole thing, but they're busy laying a pitch for the Arsenal Chelsea friendly in July atm so it looks like this:

I get the overall feeling like they rushed the shit out of the build to get it done on time, because everything was rusty (despite there being barely any rain in BJ and besides that sort of alloy doesn't rust anyway hmmmm) and cracked and just basically looked about 50 years old. Definitely corners cut in the construction for sure.

WC Fantrax Premiership

Olympic Hero Smod

Status
      Country                    England

Very jealous you got to go to the Grand Prix yesterday. Very poor choice to support Ferrari though

Good race to go see as well as it wasn't a boring one!

Thread Information