Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ed's Top 100 Matches of 2016

The Planet's Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Ed's Top 100 Matches of 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I wish we could have put those reviews out there SO BAD because they were SO GREAT. I was damn proud of the work we did. I don't know if it would have made a big splash but I can't imagine someone reading that book and not wanting to give those matches a chance. Maybe not as much now as a year ago but I loved what we did.
    I think we're already seeing why those great reviews never saw the light of day. I'm so lazy at projects, 2 weeks in and I've only covered 20 matches. mafia hasn't helped, should get a move on now I've died. Next batch up tomorrow hopefully, 5 matches written up so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Legend View Post

#89 Ricochet vs. Will Ospreay: Didn't watch the EVOLVE 59 version but I absolutely loved the BOSJ match and I think even more than the Ospreay/Scurll match from High Stakes 2016, this was probably what made me fall in love with Ospreay. They're match at OTT to close out the year was just as good (if not slightly better). I'm sure I'll watch EVOLVE 59 down the line. .

VOW started releasing their 100 too. Goldberg/Lesnar and KUSHIDA/Liger are the only ones that have so far popped up on both. Looking forward to the next one.
    I haven't seen the OTT Ricochet/Ospreay match but I can imagine it was another greatest hits type match.

Keep your eye out for that High Steaks match

I've just checked the VOW list, and there's plenty of crossover in matches, just in a different order. No southern indies on my list though (sorry other Dylan), only so much time in the day to watch stuff.

Good and fair rating for both Ricochet/Ospreay matches, and I agree about the EVOLVE match being better, was surprised at this as I remember you praising the BOSJ match as special.

Loved the WTL Finals, how hard is it to stomach that NJPW decided to throw away the Guerrillas RIGHT when they were getting their groove in NJPW after getting complained about forever in favor of Yano. GBH is a good team & Honma just rocks. One of the more underrated guys imo.

Shibata/Nagata was the first match I thought "whoa, that was way too low!" I could easily see Shibata/Nagata in my top 50-30. It was honestly my favorite NJPW match of the year before the G1 and still would be better than most Nagata's so freaking great and Shibata seemed to be in a groove, but honestly none of either man's matches in G1 were as good as this imo and what a great moment, what a great storyline. Especially in a company built around "Bullet Club II" LIJ & beyond stale Okada, I really loved everything about that and I think that played a role in my enjoyment of it.

Loved the DG 10 man tag, hope people give it a chance. Ben-K & Skywalker looked really good & just lots of fun.
    I probably did rate the BOSJ match higher originally but on the rewatch I preferred the Evolve one, and both felt like matches that were good and noteworthy without being top tier.

The WTL finals were pretty amazing. I remember a point you made on Eastern Lariat that you thought that GOD improved so much throughout the year because they grew in confidence. It is worth remembering that despite being brothers they were a fairly new tag team so it was always gonna take time to get used to one another.

Shibata/Nagata could of come higher, great match, great story. You're gonna get really frustrated by my ratings the further down the list we go Zero

If there's one match everyone should check out from the list so far, it's that DG 10 man match because you won't see a match like that anywhere else in the world.

The Planet's Admin

Status

#80 - #71

#80 - 21st May 2016
    Ryusuke Taguchi Vs Matt Sydal - NJPW BOSJ Night 1

Oh man, what a hoot this match was. I'm probably overrating it, but this was one of my favourite matches from the Best of the Super Juniors. Taguchi is the class clown, always joking around in his matches whether it's using his ass as a weapon, imitating Shinsuke Nakamura's antics or coming to the ring dressed as a giant bird, but come tournament time he gets more serious. He gets opened up the hard way halfway through the match and the sight of his own blood has Taguchi dropping the gimmick shit and going all in on beating Sydal and I loved it. Sydal was his usually great self in matches like this. In all honesty, I should of switched this with Shibata/Nagata, but I loved this match.

#79 - 30th October 2016
    Sasha Banks Vs Charlotte - WWE Hell In A Cell

If memory serves me correctly, I was definitely higher on this match than most people on WC. It does have a big black mark against it for the dumb stretcher job right at the start of the match because it's an overplayed WWE trope that no-one bought as the end of the match. I think Sasha recovered well from it, punching doctors out of the way to enter the cell and take on Charlotte, that fired up the crowd that were starting to fade. After that, I think this is the best Hell in a Cell match since Taker/HHH, which I suppose is another marmite type of cell match. We saw two lackluster cell matches earlier in the night, and this match had the most important element that is so lacking in modern day HIAC's - danger. Sasha and Charlotte looked like they hated each other, wanted to seriously hurt each other and would do anything to win the women's title. The table not breaking does make the final moments of the match disappointing which is a shame. It's a memorable and historic HIAC match which I really enjoyed, but I think there's better from these two during 2016.

#78 - 9th April 2016
    Kento Miyahara Vs Kengo Mashimo - AJPW Champion Carnival

This is a match I need to thank Dylan for introducing me to in his great Kento Miyahara 2016 thread, because AJPW kinda slipped right past me for most of last year. I don't want to recycle Dylan's thread but it sounds like Kento was the man in that promotion last year and likely will be for the foreseeable future, and this is one of the matches of his that I enjoyed the most. This was a 30 minute time limit draw from night 1 of the Champion Carnival tournament where Mashimo worked over Kento's arm really well (loved that ringer over the ring post) and forced Miyahara to fight from underneath to survive the 30 minutes.

#77 - April 1st 2016
    Will Ospreay Vs Zack Sabre Jr - Evolve 58

Part of the ZSJ Best in the World series and a contender for best match on mania weekend from Evolve where two excellent English wrestlers took on each other. A really great showcase of why the British wrestling scene is getting such a buzz at the moment, the technician Sabre Jr putting Ospreay into all kinds of painful holds and Ospreay the high flyer impressing out of hold and landing his signature spots. This is a match that put Britwres on the map in America. Ospreay really did have an insane start to 2016 branching out from the UK.

12th October 2016
    #76 - Monster Express Vs Veserk - Dragon Gate: The Gate Of Victory

This was a five on four handicap captain's fall elimination losing unit must disband match. aaaaand breath. I'm not a hardcore Dragon Gate fan and can go months without checking up on how things are going in the promotion, but whenever I catch wind of a unit disband match going down, I tune in. Dragon Gate are masters at long term storytelling, playing off friendships old and new and callbacks from years gone by, and matches like this help to showcase their booking philosophy. These matches are so fucking good, it's your standard Dragon Gate multiman tag craziness but with consequences attached to give them more importance. The result was never in doubt, Veserk were still on a roll, led by top champion Shingo and the CWC star Akira Tozawa was America bound which meant his unit needed to finish up before he could leave, but that didn't mean the match wasn't any less exciting for it.

#75 - January 4th 2016
    Katsuyori Shibata Vs Tomohiro Ishii - WrestleKingdom 10

The proverbial NEVER Openweight dick measuring contest. I disliked WK10 more than I liked it, but this is one of the few matches on the show that delivered on it's expectations. It's a match that you can turn to to explain to someone what the NEVER division is all about; two bulls brutalizing each other in a test of manhood. I don't have much to add here, if you've seen one of their matches before, you know what they are about.....next!

#74 - May 4th 2016
    Mariposa Vs Sexy Star - Lucha Underground Season 2 No Mas

This is one of those odd occurrences in wrestling where you can hate everything that leads up to a match and then be blown away by what you see. I absolutely hated the Sexy Star kidnapped by The Moths storyline in Lucha Underground's second season because it was so dumb, but it's blowoff I Quit match was amazing and did help elevate Sexy Star. It was aggressive, it was wild, it was hardcore, it was frankly scary when they started going up and up and up into the rafters. I was fine with the interference, didn't really take anything away from the match as Mack and Marty had big roles in the feud. Sexy Star fighting through one submission with 'FUCK YOU MARIPOSA' was an unbelievable moment. This is a match where you can see everyone getting on board with Sexy Star and it's probably what convinced the producers to stupidly make her LU Champion in season 3. Just like how LU managed to turn an old, tired stipulation like the casket match and deliver big time on it, I think this is one of the best I quit matches I've seen in a number of years.

#73 - January 1st 2016
    Maximo Sexy Vs Kamaitachi - CMLL

This was a delightful surprise because I'm far from a fan of Maximo Sexy and his antics, but he was awesome in this match. This was a 2 out of 3 falls hair vs hair match, and if you think that the high stakes would make both men nervous that their beautiful hair would be no more, you should of seen the fear in the face of 'Kamaitachi fan' that her #1 would be shaved bald. For a lucha match to really stand out to me, I need more than just a throwaway first 2 falls that last mere minutes, you know what I'm on about here, how in the 1st and 2nd fall people tap out after being in a submission for 2 seconds and you're in the third fall 5 minutes into a 30 minute match. This 2 out of 3 falls match was great because Kamaitacihi was a sadistic bitch working over Maximo's leg and I'll be damned if Maximo didn't sell that leg like a trooper which made the in the first fall submission feel legit and his comeback in the 2nd and 3rd all the more special.

#72 - 24th July 2016
    Seth Rollins Vs Roman Reigns Vs Dean Ambrose - WWE Battleground

A weird match to rate. This was the long rumoured Wrestlemania dream match putting all three members of the Shield together in a triple threat match. The set up was natural enough, Rollins reclaimed the WWE Championship from Roman Reigns at Money In The Bank, only to be defeated seconds later by Dean Ambrose who cashed in the briefcase, problem was this huge match was overshadowed by the upcoming brand split where feuding McMahons became as much of, if not a bigger, part of the story than three of the top regulars in the company fighting for a world title. I feared the worse when Steph, Shane, Foley and Bryan were at ringside, but thankfully they didn't get involved in the match and allowed this to be a clean competition between the three men. I think they delivered on the standard you'd expect for a WWE pay-per-view, something around that 4 star range, but for a big time dream match, there was still something lacking from calling this one a classic. Rollins and Ambrose recognising the big threat and teaming up on Reigns after their bitter feud was great, but jeez come off with every triple threat having to have a table spot that leads to a comeback WWE. Dean Ambrose winning the match, and taking the WWE Championship to Smackdown was a big surprise.

#71 - 13th November 2016
    Chris Hero Vs Matt Riddle - Evolve 73

If you haven't heard about the 2016 that Chris Hero and Matt Riddle had, then you were simply out of touch with the current landscape of US independent wrestling, because these guys were #1 and #2 in the year for me from two different ends of the spectrum. Hero the veteran of the circuit with over a decade and a half of experience, and Riddle the rookie not even 2 years into the business but picking it up as quickly as Lesnar and Angle did. They had a series of matches together in EVOLVE, and this was their best one for me, a shorter match around 11 minutes long which is something Riddle has really made a niche for himself in and help not to expose any weaknesses in his game. Hero was great as the bully heel douche that thought he was better than Riddle in every way and mocked Riddle's 'bro' catchphrase as he beat his ass, but Riddle put up a good fight too in the match. Riddle is a sure fire star of the future as long as he doesn't mess up his opportunities.

Sweet Meat

Status

People were mad Sasha no sold the stretcher job a bit but she was in a no win situation. Either sell and have the crowd silent, or no sell to at least fire them up. The spot was dumb, but she made the right choice in getting the crowd behind it.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

The women's HIAC is a match that is a lot better on rewatch. At the very least, they felt like they hated one another which is quite rare, not just in HIAC matches, but in all WWE matches.

Don't care for the Shield triple threat at all. It felt really off - Roman's suspension, plus the authority figures at ringside were really detrimental to the match.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

The Planet's Admin

Status

#70 - #61

#70 - 17th August 2016
    Akira Tozawa Vs Jack Gallagher - WWE CWC Episode 6

Our first dip into the Crusierweight Classic that everyone should work their way through because it's one of the best things WWE have ever produced. This was a styles clash 2nd round match featuring two guys that impressed in their opening round in getting their gimmick over in essentially enhancement matches, but like most 2nd round matches, this is where the quality picked up and started delivering on the hype. Jack Gallagher only had two matches in the CWC, but he was one of the bigger success stories of the network special and growing his fan base at an exponential rate with his gentlemanly approach to wrestling.

#69 - 20th May 2016
    Marty Scurll Vs Mark Andrews - PWG Prince

Back again to PWG and another great Marty Scurll match against an opponent closer to home in Welsh high flyer, Mark Andrews. Marty is just another level with crowd interaction at Reseda now, he even poked a fan in the eye for heat during the start of this match. This was a great contest between Marty who can hit the crossface chickenwing out of any position and Andrews who excels in the never give up underdog role. Counters aplenty in this one. Britwres rules.

#68 - 22nd July 2016

Kenny Omega Vs Yoshi-Hashi - NJPW G1 Climax Night 2

This is it folks, this is the match where I had to change my stance on Kenny Omega as one of the worst wrestlers in the world because I ended up loving the hell out of this match, making it the first Omega NJPW match that I can say I enjoyed thoroughly. I don't want to go over all my issues with Omega again, but during the G1 he stopped fucking around with comedy and made a serious attempt at putting on great matches and making it as a main eventer in Japan. But there's time to talk about Omega later. Lets talk about LOOSE EXPLOSION Yoshi-Hashi who I was thrilled for during the summer when he finally got his chance to enter a G1 Climax tournament. This was the first G1 match for both guys and they both did their best to impress with a competitive match that proved Gedo made the right call adding both guys to Block B. After a hot closing stretch, the clean win for Yoshi-Hashi put this one over the edge for me as a great match. One of my favourite matches of the G1 that got totally forgotten about by the time Omega won the tournament.

#67 - 3rd August 2016
    Tomohiro Ishii Vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - NJPW G1 Climax Night 11

This is one of the finest matches for the G1 Climax that admittedly would be a lot higher had I watched it in real time and not already known the result of (although Gedo's booking meant Tanahashi had to win to continue the 'unbelievable' comeback), I think my G1 buzz had just deserted me by the time I caught this match. You just can't go wrong with 'big match Tanahashi' and the ever reliable Ishii, if these two have a match and it's not great, then something has gone wrong. It didn't here, this was fantastic.

#66 - December 4th 2016
    The Miz Vs Dolph Ziggler - WWE TLC

Our first look at the feud of the year in The Miz Vs Dolph Ziggler (sorry Jim, but yes there's more to come), and huge props here have to go to the most intelligent ladder match I've seen in years. This wasn't the cliche crazy multi man ladder match where there's a big spot every couple of minutes, people lay dead outside the ring until it's their spot again and you wonder just where people's heads are at when they set the ladder up nowhere near the title but really they're just setting up another spot for the future. This had true psychology and is a match that slots in nicely into the Ziggler/Miz canon with callback moments. I love that Miz went after Ziggler's leg as soon as the opportunity presented itself and used the ladder as a weapon to do so, nullifying both Ziggler's climbing ability and the superkick that caused him to lose the title at No Mercy. There was some poetic justice later in the match when Miz fell off the ladder and seemed to injury his own leg. Great nearfall for Ziggler too off those headbutts on top of the ladder. Superb feud ender for me.

#65 - 12th October 2016
    Zack Sabre Jr. Vs Drew Gulak - Evolve 73

Would you be surprised if I called this one a technical masterclass? This was the #1 and #2 of this style of wrestling being granted 25 minutes to put on a really classy grappling match and they did so with bells on. Everything felt so smooth as they transitioned from hold to hold, move to move with seamless beauty. Gulak will likely never be allowed to have a match like this in WWE.

#64 - May 3rd 2016
    Tomohiro Ishii Vs Tetsuya Naito - NJPW Wrestling Dontaku

Tetsuya Naito was the new IWGP Heavyweight Champion after his big win at Invasion Attack that was a match filled with interference where the debuting 'Cold Skull' SANADA helped the L.I.J. leader to victory. At Wrestling Dontaku he made his first defense of the title against Tomohiro Ishii and really you can't ask for a better opponent than the Stone Pitbull who will give his all to put on a great match and actually showed another side to his game working over Naito's knee in this one. What helped the match reach greatness for me was that it wasn't bogged down by L.I.J. interference as Gedo and Okada were there to cancel out their attempts and keep their Chaos teammate alive in the match. Easily one of the best IWGP Heavyweight titles bouts of the year.

#63 - 3rd November 2016
    Akira Tozawa, Naruki Doi and Masato Yoshino Vs YAMATO, Shingo Takagi and BxB Hulk - Dragon Gate, Gate of Destiny 2016

I touched on emotional goodbyes in the honorable mentions where Shinsuke Nakamura had his final match with New Japan in a 6 man tag with 5 other big names in the company. Akira Tozawa had a similar farewell match in Dragon Gate where arguably the six biggest names in Dragon Gate's current generation all teamed up for a special 6 man tag, and unlike the Nakamura 6 man, this is a great match in it's own right even without the boost of being Tozawa's final DG match. The match was also significant for it being the reunion of Speed Muscle as Doi had been kicked out of Shingo's versek faction and turned babyface. Given these six have been involved in so many angles and feuds with each other in the last 5 years, there was plenty of history to play off. Tozawa, true to his story in Dragon Gate of never being good enough to be the top guy, ate the pinfall on his way out. He would get his big moment post match with the traditional graduation ceremony, that Shingo did his best to ruin of course.

#62 - September 3rd 2016
    Kairai Hojo Vs Io Shirai - Stardom FIVE STAR GP Day 4

Taken from Stardom's version of the G1, where two of Stardom's top stars Io and Hojo were tied at the top of Block B with 2 wins a piece which means whoever wins the match is putting themselves in a strong position to win the block. I'm not the biggest joshi fan in the world, but I love it when these two women wrestle each other, they just have a wonderful chemistry with each other. What I loved about this match was how logical it all was, it wasn't just spots even though there was a gnarly piledriver off the apron at one point. Hojo worked over Io's back for most of the match, hit a couple of her picture perfect elbow drops to the back, and got her to submit to her version of the sharpshooter.

#61 - 23rd July 2016
    Kento Miyahara Vs Jun Akiyama - AJPW

It took me a couple watches to appreciate this one, but it clicked on the final viewing. A Triple Crown title match against two of the men who deserve the most credit for the All Japan Pro Wrestling resurgence in 2016. My favourite dynamic in puroresu is a veteran coming up against a star of the current generation, and that was on show here as Akiyama and Miyahara renewed their feud from the last 2 years in another great battle. I just wish this match occurred on a bigger stage, the show felt minor league and Dylan tells me this was one of the poorer attended Kento headlined shows of the year for AJPW. Much better than the Miyahara/Suwama match that headlined their biggest gate of the year at the Sumo Hall show.

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

That Gulak/Sabre Jr. match was probably the match that sold me on technical wrestling as my favorite thing to watch. It was so fucking smooth and kinda felt like a slow thriller in a way. Now anytime ZSJ does his bridging things on a pin or submission I'm afraid he's about to get tapped (sure enough Scurll nearly got him with the crossface chickenwing like that at High Stakes). I was sad that Gulak & Williams wasn't nearly as good as this, kind of like a cautionary tale that a technical masterclass attempt can be either insanely good, or very boring.

BIG KAIJU~

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Yeah Io/Kairi always have great matches and if it wasn't for Kairi's concussion in that very match she might of gotten to the finals. I think Tessa was in Block B, and Ivelisse was suppose to have Tessa's spot in the torney so it could of been Ivelisse vs Kairi. It might of been the big match to see who faces Bito and it gives me nightmares seeing Tessa trying to compete with Bito.

Real Women of Genius

The place to see the best of best of Women's Wrestling from all over the World

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Real good block of matches there. I'll echo the Scurll in PWG praise. Gallagher/Tozawa was one of my favorites from the tournament. So unique compared to the field. Gulak/Sabre is great and Sabre always seems to motivate Gulak to something good
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

The Planet's Admin

Status

#60 - January 24th 2016
    Royal Rumble match - WWE Royal Rumble

We all love Royal Rumbles, and on paper they shouldn't be that hard to book yet in recent years WWE have done their best to book Royal Rumble matches in a manner that leaves the fans pissed off after an hour of action. In 2016, there was a twist to the Royal Rumble in that the WWE Championship would be on the line for the first time since 1992, and that Roman Reigns would have to win from #1 in order to keep the belt. Putting aside that it was highly predictable that Triple H would win the title, I still thought that this was the most fun Rumble match in years from WWE. AJ Styles debut was one of the most memorable in WWE history, Axelmania got a payoff, R-Truth mistook the match for a MITB match, Rusev hugged Vince and stole a monitor, Owens and Ambrose were selling their injuries from earlier in the night, Sami Zayn finally got called up and eliminated Owens for poetic justice, Lesnar destroyed the Wyatts before the Wyatts destroyed him, it was a riot. The surprise of the night was Dean Ambrose making it to the final 2, a finish that helped Triple H, clearly a heel boo'd once Roman Reigns was eliminated. It was a match littered with great moments that helped the hour pass along quickly.

#59 - 24th July 2016
    YAMATO Vs Shingo Takagi - Dragon Gate: Kobe World

A little on the long side as is the norm with DG main events. This was the end of bully heel Shingo's epic run as Open the Dream Gate Champion (ignoring the Jimmy Susumu switch) at the hands of the new top babyface in the promotion YAMATO who had previously been apart of Shingo's unit Veserk. What I love about the match is even though stablemates are present at ringside for the match, they're only there to catch these guys doing dives, they don't interrupt the flow of a match like what happens in Suzuki-Gun or L.I.J. matches. Unfortunately without Shingo on top, Dragon Gate has lost a little appeal to me since this match.

#58 - June 19th 2016
    AJ Styles Vs John Cena - WWE Money In The Bank

A match I loved at the time, then assumed Summerslam took the shine off of, but on a recent rewatch this still held up remarkably well. AJ had only recently turned heel by teaming up with The Club and the #BeatUpJohnCena schtick, and Cena had only recently returned from injury so big match John was finally back after 6 months out of action. I don't think it's too much of an exaggeration to call this one a dream match of it's time, the ace of WWE Vs the ace of TNA facing each other for the first time and the crowd were electric for it. I actually think the majority of this match is as good as the Summerslam rematch, but it just has that frustrating ending that spoils it with the ref bumps and Gallows and Anderson becoming the reason why AJ won the match

#57 - July 24th 2016
    Yuji Okabayashi Vs Hideyoshi Kamaitani - BJW Ryogokutan

The end of Yuji Okabayashi's year long reign as BJW Strong Champion at the same event he won the title from Daisuke Sekimoto. This was a passing of the torch kind of match where Okabayashi faced the youngster Hideyoshi Kamaitani who finally had the big mans number after previously falling short in 2015. Big Japan at their finest last year.

#56 - 14th August 2016
    Kenny Omega Vs Hirooki Goto - NJPW G1 Climax Final

The finals of the 2016 G1 Climax tournament where serial choker Hirooki Goto faced the leader of the Bullet Club, the infamous Kenny Omega of six star fame. What made the match special for me was Omega's tribute to all the good brothers from his past, pulling out a Bloody Sunday for Prince Devitt and a Styles Clash for AJ Styles, the two former leaders of Bullet Club, as well as a sitout powerbomb and phoenix splash to best friend Kota Ibushi. As much as I didn't want Omega to win, this was the right call by Gedo in a year where he had to elevate new talent and much like the Okada match, Omega put in a memorable performance that forced the issue on me having to respect him......on certain occasions.

#55 - August 6th 2016
    Naomichi Marufuji Vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - NJPW G1 Climax Night 13

I wasn't enamored with the news that Naomichi Marufuji was going to be apart of the G1 Climax, but he really had his moments in the tournament, in particular this match with Tanahashi, arguably the two biggest and most successful names in Japanese wrestling of their generation. These two had such a difficult challenge on their hands following the match that came before them (we'll be hearing from this night 13 show a little later too), but they did their best to put a great match that had a different vibe to it.

#54 - May 21st 2016
    Kushida Vs Kyle O'Reilly - BOSJ Night 1

We return to the opening night of the Best of the Super Juniors with it's main event between the Jr Heavyweight Champion at the time, Kushida and reDRagon's Kyle O'Reilly - a rematch of the fantastic 2015 BOSJ final. I think there's certainly an argument to be had that both men are each other's best opponent because this was another high quality match from the pair. I lost my shit at the spot where Kyle's running dropkick off the apron got countered into an armbar. Plenty of arm work in this match to play off both men's submission finishers and it was Kyle that got the big win and the 2 points with an armbar of his own.

#53 - October 9th 2016
    AJ Styles Vs John Cena Vs Dean Ambrose - WWE No Mercy

You might remember this as the main event that opened a pay-per-view because WWE were worried everyone would switch off to watch the Trump/Clinton debate so they went with a main event of Orton Vs Wyatt instead. That decision caused a debate of it's own with the career Vs title Ziggler/Miz match being shunned from main eventing the show. This was a very good triple threat match, the pick of WWE's world title triple threats that for once didn't use their trope of two men teaming up to put the third man through a table. AJ was his usual excellent self and the tension between Ambrose and Cena was fantastic, it's so odd they haven't gone anywhere with those two together since after those Talking Smack promos. The double submission was well worked I thought. I know AJ had to use a chair to win the match, but in a triple threat technically that isn't cheating, and he's doing it of his own accord without anyone helping him. AJ will stop at nothing to prove he's the champ that runs the camp.

#52 - Novemeber 5th 2016
    Hiroshi Tanahashi Vs SANADA - NJPW Power Struggle

A rematch from their G1 Climax match, big man Tanahashi showed up to work and Sanada stepped up to the plate here as well. One day Sanada's gonna be a big star for New Japan, the endless tag matches with L.I.J. restrict him somewhat, but in these big singles matches he really delivers. Sanada's finisher the dragon sleeper used to be Tanahashi's finisher, so Tanahashi knew all the possible counters to it. Over the course of the two matches they've had together, Tanahashi has made Sanada look like one to watch for the future.

#51 - September 25th 2016
    Cesaro Vs Sheamus - Clash of Champions

Clash of Champions was a terrible, terrible pay-per-view that seemed to showcase every negative thought I had about the inferior Raw brand; Kevin Owens felt like a midcarder due to how he won the title and his match with Seth Rollins was their typical hollow exhibition stuff, the Cruiserweights had already been botched so no-one cared about TJP going after the high score with Brian Kendrick, the New Day were coasting towards Demolition against The Club. It was just so boring. The one shining light was the finale of the best of 7 series (that believe it or not reached match 7) between Cesaro and Sheamus. This was MOTYC stuff up until the finish, the other six matches were ok, but this seventh match really picked up and was delivering something epic between the two of them. When Cesaro clotheslined Sheamus into the crowd, they both took a bit of a tumble, and after seeking medical consultation, the referee called the match off to bullshit chants. Sheamus and Cesaro wanted to continue the match, but were refused the chance to do so; had they of been allowed to fight on, I think it would of been a moment that the crowd really would of popped for and would of put the exclamation mark on a big win for Cesaro, but alas it wasn't to be and the only good thing about Clash of Champions also happened to get 'Raw'd'. That frustrating end to the match means I can't put it in my top 50 which is a damn shame because 95% of this match is top 10 standard.

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Not many I can comment on here but again, my wrestling viewing pretty much completely died after WM 32.

I'm not a fan of the Royal Rumble because there's nothing appealing about Triple H winning it for me. That said, AJ Styles showing up was one of my biggest ever mark out moments. Probably the biggest transition for me since Kurt Angle (you could say Sting but he was a part timer at the end of his career, AJ & Angle were at peak, and I don't think Christian is at either man's level).

Never heard of Hideyoshi. Must look up.

That KUSHIDA vs. Kyle O'Reilly match was great. I think I've seen a that armbar spot copied a few times since but none have look as good as that one.

Didn't watch the second Tanahashi/Sanada match but did watch their G1 and I was shocked to see SANADA win. He's really good and I hope he eventually gets that push, I feel like he doesn't fit into LIJ as much as the others.

Sheamus has to be one of the more underappreciated wrestlers in the world. He's usually got a couple of really great matches under his belt every year, but people just seem to dislike him. And it doesn't feel like a sort of Miz dislike where they appreciate his heel work and skill, it feels like people just plain don't like him. I was thinking he's one of those guys I'd love to see in Japan or in the indies at large but part of me thinks he'd just piss everyone off backstage

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Agree with a lot of your thoughts, will say some things about what stood out over & underrated in my view (I liked your ranking of Taguchi & Sydal ftr, it was a hoot):

Too high:
    #79 - I just didn't see anything in these twos matches this year. While true there was an element of danger and hatred as well as the historical aspects of HIAC, it just felt like amateur hour all the way through from the sloppiness between the wrestlers and the asinine stretcher spot. And on top of that the finish was all wrong despite my low opinion of Sasha.

#76 - A fine match and all, but it's hard for me to rate this ahead of other matches you did. Would probably think about it in my top 100 and I remember the promo earlier in the show more than the match actually. Cool stuff.

#75 - This was a completely generic Shibata match imo. It had neither the crowd heat or fiery finish of his match a year later. Was even tiring of Ishii at this point though he redeemed himself well. Both did somewhat but especially Ishii.

#72 - I don't know, my interest in WWE and all 3 of these guys at this point was so low it may just be me but I didn't think there was anything special about this at all.

#70 - I actually think both of these guys are way overrated and the ball spot isn't something I'm a fan of. This wouldn't have been in my CWC top 10. But I guess if you really love Gallagher I can dig it.

#66 - The feud of the year? Come on. I actually liked this match but I just wanted to point this out.

#60 - Now there are some I've thought were good but a little overrated, some that were okay and I didn't think should be rated so high, and even a match I think is bad but can see the appeal of but this is the first truly baffling inclusion. Besides Trips winning and AJ's debut (Guess you could say Zayn going at Owens though I think their feud is debatable on how much it REALLY mattered) what of all those moments really mattered longterm? I also didn't like Dean being the last man in as it telegraphed the winner and took it down a peg. I think AJ or Roman would have had a lot more drama purely from a match standpoint. (I personally would have had AJ & avoid that dumb Jericho feud entirely) I obviously don't like Trips hogging up the title and spotlight again but just as a match it ages poorly and I'd be surprised if it has a legacy of any sort.

-

Underrated:
    #78 - Would have been in my top 25 for sure, I just found the dynamic between these two delightful and quite enjoyed the unexpected finish that set up a nearly as great title defense.

#77 - I highly enjoyed this match and going through this list is making me take note of ZSJ's greatness, although there was a fair amount of underdelivering he also did a heck of a lot right. This may surprise you but upon rewatch I toyed with this in my VoW Top 10.

#74 - I can't believe how much I loved this match. Comfortably among the best 3 LU matches ever & IMO THE most memorable hands down. Truly one of the better spectacles I can remember. I don't know where I'd rate it (Likely 30-50) but just in personal favorites this is surely a top 5 match of 2016 for me.

#61 - I rated this #2 overall and I'm not the only one as the VoW poll shows and feel 100% justified in that opinion. Kento has come along as a true champ & "peak for peak" Akiyama is still one of the world's best. To culminate a nearly 2 year long rivalry was just great. That said, aesthetically this could be Kento's worst defense as one of AJPW's few booking blunders in 2016 was running this shot at this show right against G1. Unfortunate and could definitely see it coming across as dry. That said ranking this below the Rumble seems criminal.

#57 - I loved this match a lot, and also had a lot of meaning that may be lost if you're not as into BJW as me. That said, Kamitani's miserable failure of a title reign really takes a lot of shine off of what would have been a top 10 match imo.

#56 - I thought this was significantly better than Omega's Okada match as well as his great but overhyped match vs Naito one night prior. Would have been a top 20 contender for me. Also enjoyed Goto very much here and the fact he turned the crowd for him mid-match is a testament to his hard work here.

Sheamus: Just in general. Glad you liked his match with Cesaro. Was ace.

The Planet's Admin

Status

Jon I totally agree on Sheamus, most likely the most under-appreciated wrestler of his time and he would be beloved if he worked anywhere else in the world. His weakness is he's not an engaging personality or promo and he exclusively works for the one company where that is gonna be a problem.

#79 - I just didn't see anything in these twos matches this year. While true there was an element of danger and hatred as well as the historical aspects of HIAC, it just felt like amateur hour all the way through from the sloppiness between the wrestlers and the asinine stretcher spot. And on top of that the finish was all wrong despite my low opinion of Sasha.
    As I mentioned previously, you're gonna hate how high some of their matches together drop. Any match that makes a Raw ppv worth watching gets bonus points.

#75 - This was a completely generic Shibata match imo. It had neither the crowd heat or fiery finish of his match a year later. Was even tiring of Ishii at this point though he redeemed himself well. Both did somewhat but especially Ishii.
    Your thoughts are kind of similar to mine when it comes to my opinion of their New Beginning rematch, that one was rather meh to me. Perhaps I was just happy that something good finally happened at WK10

#70 - I actually think both of these guys are way overrated and the ball spot isn't something I'm a fan of. This wouldn't have been in my CWC top 10. But I guess if you really love Gallagher I can dig it.
    I don't like the ball spot either, but I thought this was the most unique match of the CWC and that's why it stands out to me. Both men were hella over after the match (Gallagher already was after the first round, but Tozawa needed a 2nd viewing).

#66 - The feud of the year? Come on. I actually liked this match but I just wanted to point this out.
    Hey now, it won the WC official year end award for best feud, so disagree all you want, you need to..............FACETHEFACTS~!!!!!!

#60 - Now there are some I've thought were good but a little overrated, some that were okay and I didn't think should be rated so high, and even a match I think is bad but can see the appeal of but this is the first truly baffling inclusion. Besides Trips winning and AJ's debut (Guess you could say Zayn going at Owens though I think their feud is debatable on how much it REALLY mattered) what of all those moments really mattered longterm? I also didn't like Dean being the last man in as it telegraphed the winner and took it down a peg. I think AJ or Roman would have had a lot more drama purely from a match standpoint. (I personally would have had AJ & avoid that dumb Jericho feud entirely) I obviously don't like Trips hogging up the title and spotlight again but just as a match it ages poorly and I'd be surprised if it has a legacy of any sort.
    Yeah this seemed a little high too on reflection, but I think it really had it's merits and was the most satisfying the Rumble match has been in a long time. I would disagree with AJ being a better choice than Dean at the end as far as telegraphing the winner, AJ was not gonna win the WWE title on his debut and Roman wouldn't have made it anymore unpredictable because the only reason HHH is there is to screw over Reigns so obviously he would of came out on top. My thinking is Triple H had already cost Roman the WWE title, so you could of still got to their mania match without the belt and stuck it on Dean Ambrose who was heading into a big mania match himself. You will just hate anything that has Triple H involved though.

#77 - I highly enjoyed this match and going through this list is making me take note of ZSJ's greatness, although there was a fair amount of underdelivering he also did a heck of a lot right. This may surprise you but upon rewatch I toyed with this in my VoW Top 10.
    He didn't have the WOTYC year he had in 2015, but if you look in the right places there were some great ZSJ matches dotted throughout the year. Some more still to come!

#74 - I can't believe how much I loved this match. Comfortably among the best 3 LU matches ever & IMO THE most memorable hands down. Truly one of the better spectacles I can remember. I don't know where I'd rate it (Likely 30-50) but just in personal favorites this is surely a top 5 match of 2016 for me.
    I was stunned it was that great. Had I enjoyed the storyline a bit more, gave a damn about the result and not be turned off by the Sexy Star dominance of S3, it could of finished a lot higher.

#61 - That said ranking this below the Rumble seems criminal.
    All hail!

#57 - I loved this match a lot, and also had a lot of meaning that may be lost if you're not as into BJW as me. That said, Kamitani's miserable failure of a title reign really takes a lot of shine off of what would have been a top 10 match imo.
    Can't say I paid much attention to BJW at the turn of the year other than that tag tournament they had going on, so I was surprised when I was researching this match that Kamitani had already dropped the title to Sekimoto.

--------

Hopefully gonna knock out the next batch of the list today, halfway there so far in the writing.

The Planet's Admin

Status

#50 - #41

#50 - 3rd April 2016
    Charlotte Vs Sasha Banks Vs Becky Lynch - WWE Wrestlemania 32

Boy WWE sure do love a triple threat match. This was a pretty historic match for WWE so they get a pass from me on this occasion when it comes to #Womensrevolutionmakinghistory. Not only was this match going to crown the first re-branded Womens Champion and be the start of WWE moving away from the term 'Diva' (both matters inexplicably announced on the pre-show and not part of the build) but this felt like the first Wrestlemania I can ever recall where the womens wrestling mattered and was treated as something important and not a bathroom break on a long show. At Wrestlemania 32, these three women were given 16 minutes to wrestle, the longest timeslot ever given to a womens match at mania, and had great entrances that made them look like stars including Snoop Dogg rapping Sasha to the ring. To put this into context of recent Wrestlemanias, WM31 didn't have a Divas title match, WM30 had a clusterfuck of a title match where every woman on the roster got a shot at AJ Lee for 6 minutes, and at WM29 there were no women on the show at all because the Bella Twins match was cancelled due to time constraints. This was a really fun triple threat match, a little spot heavy but everyone got in their Wrestlemania moment. Sasha did the Eddie Guerrero jokes no favours by having Latino Heat inspired tights for the match, and she was a lock in my eyes to win, but at that point we didn't know just how much Vince loves Charlotte's PPV streak. I'm not gonna say they saved the show, because at six hours long the negatives far outweigh the positives and this unquestionably was a shit Wrestlemania, but the women showed everyone else up on the biggest stage.

#49 - October 10th 2016
    Kyle O'Reilly Vs Katsuyori Shibata - NJPW King of Pro Wrestling

A big opportunity for Kyle in Japan, always featured as a Junior prior to this match, here he had been elevated to a heavyweight challenging for the NEVER openweight title and I thought he really delivered. This was the best faux MMA/worked shoot match of 2016 and my favourite match of Shibata's run with the title. It looked like Kyle might have won the match with a PK Kick of his own, but that just seemed to pissed off Shibata who did his usual finisher routine of sleeper hold into PK kick, but went straight back to the sleeper hold after the kick to make O'Reilly pass out to teach him a lesson. I really could of done without seeing Kyle slobbering saliva everywhere at the end, but it played into the story of him getting the shit kicked out of him.

#48 - August 20th 2016
    Asuka Vs Bayley - NXT Takeover Brooklyn II

A step up from their Takeover Dallas match, but at the same time it doesn't really come close to the MOTYC the women were having in 2015. These girls can't catch a break, at Dallas they followed Zayn/Nakamura and here they had to follow DIY/Revival, but yet again they were up for the challenge. This match had excellent progression and character development storytelling; at Dallas Bayley seemed intimidated by Asuka, even a little fearful of who she was wrestling, but she had grown since that loss in Dallas and was taking the fight to her opponent, even daring Asuka to hit her in the face at one stage. She also learned from the Asuka lock experience and fight out of the first attempt to land a Bayley-To-Belly. There was no fading away in the Asuka lock this time for Bayley, she was solidly defeated by a kick to the head via pinfall, putting a stamp on Asuka's dominance in NXT to be 2-0 over such a big star. There was no disrespect from Asuka this time, helping Bayley back to her feet with words of encouragement and receiving a hug for it. After the match Bayley got a standing ovation as she waved goodbye to her NXT Family and hugged Sasha, Becky, Charlotte, her mom and Izzy on the way out.

#47 - June 19th 2016
    Roman Reigns Vs Seth Rollins - WWE Money In The Bank

He redesigned, he rebuilt, he reclaimed....and then he lost it straight away. This was Seth Rollins' big return after a horrendous knee injury up against Roman Reigns for the WWE Championship which to my knowledge is the first big singles match they ever had against each other - pretty sure Survivor Series 2015 was gonna be Seth dropping the title to Roman but y'know, Seth fucked up his knee. I think this is the best Seth Rollins singles match to date hidden among about 2 years of rubbish Seth Rollins singles matches. Even though he killed a face turn dead by cutting a scathing promo on the crowd after he returned, the crowd hate Roman so he played the de-facto babyface and Reigns took up more of a heel role and it really benefited the match. The concerned selling of the knee really lifted the match as well. Almost everything after this match makes me doubt Seth can ever be the main event babyface I thought he'd develop into post Shield, but this match is evidence that maybe one day he can get it together.

#46 - April 2nd 2016
    American Alpha Vs The Revival - NXT Takeover Dallas

Triple H kept them apart for the longest time, but on Wrestlemania weekend the two hottest teams in NXT did battle for the Tag Team Championships. In the history of NXT, I think the Tag Team Division has been the weakest part of their product and it wasn't until the Dusty Classic came around in late 2015 that we started to see some really good matches and some young teams breaking through like the two teams here that both reached the semi-finals. These guys all worked hard to put on a great opener to a show of the year contender, and the crowd were really behind American Alpha hoping for that title switch. The greatest tag team match in NXT History.....at the time.

#45 - 4th September 2016
    Canis Lupus Vs Trauma I - IWRG

Mask Vs Mask time again. I wasn't in love with the first two falls, but the third fall made up for that. Violent, bloody, hate-filled - this was a war in the third fall. If I was to say there were some sick chair shots in this one you'd think nothing of it, but these weren't your usual wrestling chairs, these were plastic chairs with the metal legs with no give that don't fold up that they're cracking over each other. Really awesome finish built around the infamous martinete (piledrivers which are illegal in Mexico) after a ref bump, Trauma having to break up pins by holding onto ropes or the refs hands because he hasn't the energy to get his shoulder off the mat, a doctor trying to place a collar on Trauma indicating a broken neck but he manages to counter a final Lupus attack into a submission to heroically win the match. I think Zero overrates the match, I've got some more lucha matches coming up that I think were overall better, but here's his superior review of the match.

#44 - 18th July 2016
    Hiroshi Tanahashi Vs Sanada - G1 Climax Night 1

Everything I said about the previous Tanahashi/Sanada match, only this time it had way more unpredictability which helped me enjoy it just that little bit more. As the first night of tournament, it was a level playing field so any result was possible and it turned out to be a big win for Sanada tapping out Tanahashi to his dragon sleeper submission.

#43 - September 2nd 2016
    Pentagon Jr and Fenix Vs Chris Hero and Tommy End - PWG BOLA Night Two

My god, what a crazy tag team match. With BOLA for me sometimes it's the non-tournament matches that stand out the most and on night two we were treated to a contest between the awesome Heroes Eventually Die team of Hero and End and the Luchador brothers Pentgon Jr and Fenix. This was the first time I had ever seen the Lucha Underground stars team up together before and they were perfect foils for Hero and End with Pentagon's larger than life aura bringing the fight and showing Cero Miedo where most people would fear the strikes of End and Hero and Fenix willing to do suicidal dives off Pentagon's shoulders to pop the crowd. You can stick your 5 stars for the Young Bucks 6 man Dave Meltzer, this match was much better.

#42 - March 4th 2016
    Dragon Lee Vs Kamaitachi - CMLL Super Viernes

I've lost count of the great matches I've seen these two guys have over the course of the last couple of years, and I'm pretty sure we're about to see another great one this weekend at The New Beginning. This was their final singles match in CMLL (for now) and it was where Kamaitachi dropped the Light Heavyweight Championship back to Dragon Lee after winning it in Japan a couple months earlier. Didn't quite reach what these two are capable of, but still a great match on it's own merit.

#41 - 13th August 2016
    Kenny Omega Vs Tetsuya Naito - NJPW G1 Climax Night 18

I have watched this match more times than any other match from 2016, not because it was so awesome I wanted to keep watching it again and again for pure enjoyment, but because so many people from other sites and podcasts and what have you have this as their MOTY without much deliberation and I was trying to find out what I couldn't see in the match that they could. I have watched this match a half-dozen times at least to get to the bottom of whether the match is really that damn good and was I letting my bias for these two guys get the better of me. That's what the joke was about in the opening post about whether it made the list or not, because I had such a hard time deciding where I should place this match. When it's all said and done, it is a great match befitting of the big occasion with a surprise winner in Kenny Omega. I still believe the match is overrated because of who is in the match; it's the two leaders of the most beloved stables by western New Japan fanboys that were always gonna think it's a perfect match no matter what happened in it. The 41st best match of 2016 might seem super harsh, but if you know my feelings on these two gentlemen and how I tend to dislike everything they produce, then I think it's a good spot for them because they had to fight hard to win me over. All 40 matches after this one are matches that I thoroughly enjoyed with no 'but's or deliberation about them.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Wow, you're way more into the Bayley/Asuka rematch than I was. I thought that was a problematic Bayley performance and I thought the two didn't click as much as they did in Dallas.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post

#50 - 3rd April 2016
    Charlotte Vs Sasha Banks Vs Becky Lynch - WWE Wrestlemania 32

Boy WWE sure do love a triple threat match. This was a pretty historic match for WWE so they get a pass from me on this occasion when it comes to #Womensrevolutionmakinghistory. Not only was this match going to crown the first re-branded Womens Champion and be the start of WWE moving away from the term 'Diva' (both matters inexplicably announced on the pre-show and not part of the build) but this felt like the first Wrestlemania I can ever recall where the womens wrestling mattered and was treated as something important and not a bathroom break on a long show.
    I'd argue the only other time a women's match truly mattered at Wrestlemania was at the very first one with Wendi Richter vs Leilani Kai that featured the huge build-up including involvement from Cindi Lauper and that gigantic rating the Moolah vs Richter match scored for their MTV special in 1984.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Mickie vs Trish certainly mattered. It was the best storyline going into WM22 (not saying a lot but still), the fans were way into it, and it was 4 months worth of build up to it for a long and good match.

The only blight on it is follow up, but the injury to Trish at Backlash hurt that so I'm not wouldn't criticise that too much.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

The Planet's Admin

Status

#40 - #31

#40 - 2nd September 2016
    Fenix Vs Will Ospreay - BOLA Night 1

I find this match to be superior to the highly rated Ricochet series as far as a Will Ospreay high flying spot fest goes. Two insanely talented athletes going at each other at a frantic pace. The spanish fly from the top rope where they both land on their feet was sensational. This is 10 minutes of breathtaking action; my favourite match from PWG this year.

#39 - 18th December 2016
    Charlotte Flair Vs Sasha Banks - WWE Roadblock

These two had now entered meme territory for hot potatoing the Women's Championship to each other, weeks after Sasha won the title in a falls count anywhere match on Raw she lost the title to Charlotte in an Ironman match at Roadblock to keep the PPV record that only Vince cares about alive. After just two matches, I'm about ready to call Sasha Banks the best ironman wrestler ever because I have loved both matches she has been apart of. They held my attention for the full 30 minutes and overtime and Charlotte put in another fantastic heel performance working over the leg viciously. It feels like these two would go to hell and back not to lose to their rival.

#38 - April 2nd 2016
    Chris Hero Vs Zack Sabre Jr - WWN Mercury Rising

This match was fought under the banner of Zack's 'best in the world' challenge which Hero took offence of because he believes he's the greatest of all time and Zack's never beaten him. The match panned out much like you'd expect, Zack tried to take control with his technical prowess, bending Hero's limbs anyway possible and Hero fighting back and digging into his bully formula to prove he's the better fighter. Hero won, again, which I think was the right call because Zack's big win should come on an Evolve show, not in a Mercury Rising opener. Not their best match together, but still great.

#37 - August 3rd 2016
    Johnny Gargano Vs Tommaso Ciampa - CWC Episode 4

The moment where the Crusierweight Classic went from 'oh this is nice, something a bit different' to 'fuck, that was great, can't wait for next week'. The marque match of the first round pitting best friends and tag team partners Gargano and Ciampa against each other, putting their quest for the NXT Tag Team Titles on hold temporarily. This is how to do babyface Vs babyface right. Ciampa in particular was great in not holding back initially with his strikes, but then second guessing himself when it came to taking down the kneepad to finish Gargano off. What helped raise the stacks in this match was the feeling that one of the partners would turn on the other, but it was refreshing to see WWE stay clear of that and have a more human ending to the match with Ciampa being annoyed at the loss but still supporting his friend.

#36 - November 16th 2016
    Chris Hero Vs Tracy Williams - Evolve 72

A night that sadly got more attention for Joey Styles' Trump joke than for a solid first show on the Floslam network, in particular this match between two of Evolve's best wrestlers. It's a testament to Hero's 2016 and his quest to prove he's the greatest of all time that he managed to have this caliber of match when his prior 2 days were hard hitting fights with Tomohiro Ishii and Katsuyori Shibata in England. Tracy Williams is so good and fits in like a glove in Evolve, it's easy to forget that this guy was an ant for all those years in CHIKARA. Tracy got the win after making Hero tap out, arguably the biggest of his career, and the amount of losses were starting to add up making some people put 2 and 2 together that he was on his way out of the indie circuit.

#35 - December 22nd 2016
    Io Shirai Vs Mayu Iwatani - Stardom Year End Climax

Taken from Stardom's final show of the year, a highly anticipated match where a couple months after Io turned heel on her friend and tag partner, Mayu had her chance for revenge in a World of Stardom Championship match. Best friends, bitter enemies type stuff. Io's red eye shadow and leopard print attire is now affectionately known as her 'McQueen' look. The match delivered on the expectations for a big Io Shirai title match; big on offensive moves, plenty of suplexes and full of emotion.

#34 - 9th October 2016
    The Miz Vs Dolph Ziggler - WWE No Mercy

When looking at the Ziggler/Miz feud, this was probably it's crescendo as far as storytelling goes; Ziggler winning the IC title finally off Miz would of been a perfect way to end things but they extended it another 6 weeks or so to fit in Miz winning the title back and by then it was overstaying it's welcome. This match highlights the incredible rehabilitation job the Smackdown booking team did with Dolph Ziggler to make him both a relevant part of the show and a babyface act that people want to see succeed again - this was the most over Ziggler had been since he cashed in MITB in 2013. The career on the line stipulation telegraphed that Ziggler would win, but I think it was needed in order to ramp up Ziggler's desire for victory. I loved that the match was a snapshot of all the obstacles that have held Ziggler back with him having to overcome all the odds with Miz's cheating, the Maryse spray spot and the Spirit Squad interference. Definitely should of main evented the PPV.

#33 - January 22nd 2016
    Chris Hero and Tommy End Vs Zack Sabre Jr and Sami Callihan - Evolve 53

When this went down over a year ago I was possibly the only wrestling fan in the world happy with a Callihan for Thatcher substitution, but Thatcher's stock has dipped so much since then that more people might agree with me now. This was a first round match of the Evolve Tag Team Titles Tournament, and is the standout match from the round. Hero and End make for a natural partnership with their similar striking styles and looked to isolate Sabre every oppotunity they could. It was up to Callihan to save his tag team partner on multiple occasions. Match lasted about 30 minutes, but I didn't feel like it dragged. Great tag bout.

#32 - 2nd July 2016
    Io Shirai Vs Meiko Satomura - Sendai Girls' 10th Anniversary

My two favourite joshi wrestlers and this was a big time rematch from Stardom's Year End Climax 2015 where Meiko lost to Io. Only Meiko's Sendai Girls World Championship is on the line this time. Both women have the reputation of being tough to beat, so this was always going to be a hard hitting contest capped off with something gnarly to put someone down for 3 seconds, which the Death Valley Driver to Io certainly was. I have this down as Io's best match of 2016.

#31 - 13th August 2016
    Michael Elgin Vs Katsuhiko Nakajima - NJPW G1 Night 18

A match that's been totally overshadowed by the other big G1 Climax matches, most of all Naito Vs Omega that followed this very match on the final night of Block B. Big Mike had a chance to win the block, but needed to defeat NOAH's Nakajima but unfortunately he fell victim to a brainbuster and Nakajima played spoiler. This was a tremendous speed Vs power match, a dynamic I love in wrestling.
    Last edited by Ed; 02-27-2017 at 01:05 PM.

Say My Name

Status

Man that Gargano vs. Ciampa match was when the CWC really took off. Might have to go rewatch that.

Also Fenix vs. Ospreay may have to be found by my powers of scouring the Internet.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

The Planet's Admin

Status

#30 - #21

#30 - March 25th 2016
    Will Ospreay Vs Shane Strickland - wXw 16 Carat Gold Tournament Night 1

They tore the fucking house down. Night 1 of the 16 carat gold tournament was pretty good but this was the only legit great match of the first round with. Fantastic high flying wrestling that increased in intensity as the match wore on, and that dance off at the beginning was something else.

#29 - May 1st 2016
    AJ Styles Vs Roman Reigns - WWE Payback

Around WC this will always be known as the night Enzo was proven wrong when AJ Styles did indeed get a one on one match for the WWE Championship. The good in this match was very, very good; AJ didn't really need to prove anything, but he proved he belonged in main events for the biggest company in the world and his chemistry with Roman was off the charts. The problem with this match is the restarts, it kills the momentum of the match and shoe-horns in that Steph/Shane 'will they get along?' storyline is more important than the world title.

#28 - June 8th 2016
    American Alpha Vs Revival - NXT Takeover The End

The Dallas match wasn't a fluke, this was another great match between these two teams for the NXT tag belts. I had totally written the match off before hand as a slam dunk victory for American Alpha to see The Revival finish up with NXT, which just goes to show you nothing is a certainty in wrestling. I preferred the action in this match to their previous effort and you just can't beat nearfalls in Revival matches, especially on a night where a surprise result happens. Gable's mid-air counter of a doomsday device type double team into a belly-to-belly was so quick that half the crowd didn't seem to, but it was insane. The greatest Tag Team match in NXT history........at the time.

#27 - July 25th 2016
    Sasha Banks Vs Charlotte - WWE Raw

On a successful first night of the brand split era for Raw, the booking team played all the aces up their sleeve pushing the new babyface Finn Balor to the moon with two wins and also crowning a new Women's Champion; the crowd favourite (we want) Sasha Banks. A match they've tried to recreate the magic with on so many occasions; they have some bad matches together, but they also have some great ones and thankfully this was the latter. This felt like a big moment in women's wrestling, how stupid I was to think that. Sasha's reign lasted 3 weeks and they would swap the title between each other 3 more times before the year ended. Raw also couldn't keep up the standard of this episode and SmackdownLive became the show to watch.

#26 - October 10th 2016
    Kazuchika Okada Vs Naomichi Marufuji - NJPW King of Pro Wrestling

In my opinion their G1 match was an absolute bust, but this delivered big time. Marufuji was on point during this match, all his kicks landed and it was probably his best performance in years. In what is becoming a recurring theme in Okada title matches, he had to dig deep, endure a lot of offensive from his opponent and the battle through to reach a fun closing stretch. For a match that had about a 0% chance of a title change, they really put on a dramatic, entertaining main event.

#25 - 11th September 2016
    AJ Styles Vs Dean Ambrose - WWE Backlash

Capping off a thoroughly entertaining pay-per-view from the Smackdown brand (suck it Jim) was a WWE Championship match between Ambrose and Styles. The match made perfect sense, off an underwhelming contest with Dolph Zigger, Dean Ambrose had a real step up in competition, having to defend against the man who just pinned John Cena clean at Summerslam, AJ Styles. Rather like his series of matches with Roman, Dean Ambrose raised his game in a big time main event again Styles. This was the most focused Ambrose seemed all year, the way he got out of the calf crusher was amazingly brutal. What I love about this match is how it feels so different to every other WWE world title match because there was no finisher kickout; the dirty deeds never happened and AJ won off the first Styles Clash. You can argue that's closing the stable door once the horse has bolted because the Styles Clash had been kicked out of plenty of times in his short WWE career, but it certainly helped future Styles/Ambrose matches because they didn't completely empty their bag of tricks for just this one match. There's a ref bump and low blow spot right at the end of the match so unlike the Cena match AJ doesn't get a clean victory here, but compared to how Kevin Owens won the Universal title in the same month, it came off more tolerable.

#24 - August 10th 2016
    Kota Ibushi Vs Cedric Alexander - CWC Episode 5

On paper Kota Ibushi was the big coup for the Cruiserweight Classic, he's an elite wrestler that gave the tournament some star power and had fans salivating over who he would be paired up against. Without him the CWC would of felt like a US indy tournament and would of missed out on some great matches. These guys took up the challenge from Ciampa/Gargano the week before and had an even better match to main event the show. The crowd were super into the action, they worked really well together, superb nearfalls, Kota won which was the result most people wanted but Alexander was a made man in defeat. I'd like to think Triple H already knew how great Alexander was and was planning to sign him before the match, but it was an absolute no brainer decision after the match when the Full Sail crowd chanted for it to happen.

#23 - April 10th 2016
    Will Ospreay Vs Kushida - NJPW Invasion Attack

A match like to point to as evidence of Ospreay being one of the best in the world as well as being innovative in his matches. This match showed Ospreay doing next level selling when Kushida decided to focus in on Will's arm and viciously work over it to soften him up for the hoverboard lock. Ospreay then proceeds to wrestle the rest of the match as if his arm is numb and it's fantastic. When he goes for one of his handsprings off the ropes, he collapses under his own weight because he doesn't have the arm strength to pull off the move; the next time he attempts it moments later he pulls off the handspring without using his arms at all. I'm still not sure quite how he pulls that move off. This was the best IWGP Jr Heavyweight match in many a year. Bonus points to Will for wearing pink tights after the death of Kris Travis.

#22 - 22nd May 2016
    The Miz Vs Sami Zayn Vs Cesaro Vs Kevin Owens - WWE Extreme Rules

There's nothing more extreme than the fatal fourway match~! Really fun 4 way match here that developed after an Owens/Zayn brawl caused a no-contest in a Miz/Cesaro IC title match. It starts off like a house on fire, with Zayn nailing Owens with a helluva kick straight from the bell and really it doesn't calm down much for the rest of the match. I think this is also a match where you can start to see how great Miz has become because he's in the ring with three indy favourites and he more than holds his own. Perfect booking too to keep the title on Miz, being the smarter man and picking up the pieces once the other three had killed themselves.

#21 - 14th September 2016
    TJ Perkins Vs Gran Metalik - CWC Finals

10 weeks of great television came to a head on September 14th when TJ Perkins and Gran Metalik, a final I don't think anyone predicted, did battle to decide the first ever PURPLE Cruiserweight Champion. This was a really fitting end to one of the greatest wrestling tournaments I've ever seen; with both guys only an hour after having their grueling semi-final matches, they went out and put in some excellent performances to end on the right note. TJP's chest becomes a bloody mess through the amount of slaps from Metalik he takes. TJP wins the CWC through his knee bar and cuts a pretty emotional promo after the match. I cannot believe how quickly WWE fucked up TJ Perkins when you consider how over he seemed after this match and how important the Crusierweight Classic felt like.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

#50 - I thought the ladder match from WM was unquestionably better than this. Thought it was fine, don't get me wrong, but the fact that a majority of your post was about the novelty of a women's match at WM not being worthless is telling to the actual "greatness" of the match itself. Thought Sasha & Charlotte had some rough moments as usual too. Wish Becky had won.

#49 - Liked this. Probably wouldn't have had it top 50 and like I always say I'm always lower on KOR than others but definitely good stuff.

#48 - Pretty much agree on this. Great moment and booking. Again you're more into NXT than me but would definitely take this over any Sasha/Charlotte match.

#47 - Good match. But too long and the booking leading up to this was such a clusterfuck that I can't say I really enjoyed it, especially not more than Styles/Cena or even MITB.

#46 - Much like your writing of the WM Triple Threat, it's telling that this match is nearly universally forgotten about. AA flopping on SD hasn't helped. Good match though, Kind of a shame it doesn't get more props.

#45 - My #1 but I don't think you're necessarily wrong for not feeling that way you said. This was a match from a past era transported to 2016. This was different than every single match on this list. Recently my casual Lucha fan girlfriend watched this and said it sucks so I'm happy it at least made the list.

#44 - Agree wholeheartedly with all of this.

#43 - Again I agree! One of End's better performances as usually I'm not really a big fan of that team but the Lucha Brothers are just awesome.

#42 - I had this as a top 10 match and thought it was better than their recent match at TNB.

#41 - I probably would have had it a tad higher but I mostly agree with what you said here. I personally thought the G1 final was better on its own but with Naito you know how it is with some people. Still, I can't help but think you did kinda underrate this.

#40 - I think there's a right way & a wrong way to do a spotfest and this was the right way. Perfectly agree with what you said.

#39 - I know I say a lot about these two because you keep ranking them for some reason but this might have been my least favorite of their matches together. Be honest: Was this a troll post and ranking on me to say Sasha's an all-time great Ironman worker? The Dragon would be very unhappy to read this and Jim has to be shaking his head too. Nevermind the fact that the feud had been booked into the ground by this point but the finishing run was all wrong for obvious reasons. Can't say I enjoyed this at all.

#38 - I loved this match. I can't remember if it was this or their EVOLVE match but I had it top 10 & both were really rad.

#37 - Truly, a heck of a match. Agree that this was helped by avoiding a cliché heel turn here and both man put in a heck of a performance. I wish they hadn't of done quite so much to Johnny for him to come back, was watching with my buddy who's a casual fan and he must of yelled out something akin to "Oh! It's over it's over!" A dozen times after some of Ciampa's moves. Also can see an argument about the stuff with the knee but I personally liked it for the reason stated above. Ciampa did an amazing job on offense overall and I was really impressed here by both men. Also really loved Gargano's remix of Chrome Hearts for his theme.

#36 - I liked this and all but better than ZSJ/Hero? I don't know about that. Pretty high ranking overall but since it's not another WWE one I can't knock it.

#35 - I don't think I was there when this Io McQueen thing started with you & Shake but it is by far the best thing ever in wrestling. I would give their first match a slight edge but I really enjoyed it. They did a lot though, could see an argument for too much but that's about it.

#34 - I thought this was a heck of a match with some great storytelling like you mentioned, Arguably both men's best ever.

#33 - I didn't like this as much as you and it's not because of Thatcher being taken out for Sami. I thought everyone involved brought the worst out of Hero and admittedly it was still solid but if I had to point to as being down on it would be this one.

#32 - I was surprised to see this rated as high as it was. Really cool match but I had this below a few both of their matches. Let's see how much more Meiko is on the list before I ask my question about one of her matches.

#31 - Wow you loved this match! Very surprised to see it here but still thought it was pretty great myself. May rewatch it. Elgin had a fantastic tournament and it wouldn't surprise me at all if you were right on the money here.

#30 - A match I liked, but had it sub-**** which would probably put this a bit lower. I guess mileage varies depending on what ya think of the danceoff.

#29 - Whoa, way higher than I would have thought, and you said exactly why. Not to say the good wasn't damn good but I can't just ignore all the BS surrounding it. This made me want a straight singles match between these two rather than thinking this was great, letalone top 30.

#28 - Pretty much what I feel about their other match but am probably with you that this was the better one.

#27 - If I were to consider any of their matches for my 100, unless I'm forgetting one you rank higher, it'd probably be this one. But even still it loses some of the magic in hindsight with how the rest of the year shook out.

#26 - Agreed that their first match was overrated and this one was good, you were probably more into this than me though. Okada's style is stale & boring blahblahblah.

#25 - Great match. Mostly agree.

#24 - I loved this a lot, probably my favorite match of the CWC. Incredible moment at the end that of course Trips couldn't help but try to leech off Cedric's shine. Also it's great that Cedric got to keep his awesome CWC theme on Raw/205, unlike Gulak & Nese.

#23 - Loved this a lot. Probably my favorite KUSHIDA match.

#22 - One of the hidden gems of the year imo. Totally agree.

#21 - A great finish to a tournament that exceeded all my expectations. A close 2nd to Ibushi/Cedric. But again, very kind of Trips to come out and let everyone know he deserves all credit for CWC and the Cruiserweights coming back and by coincidence it just so happens to be RIGHT before the final match.

Going forward am really interested to see how many CWC matches you have left to go for the last 20. There were a couple I'm surprised to not see ranked at all but could still come up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information