Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ed's Top 100 Matches of 2016

The Planet's Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Ed's Top 100 Matches of 2016

does Omega Vs Naito make the list?

Professional Wrestling in 2016 was great. OK maybe by some metrics it didn't seem like a banner year for wrestling with WWE having an all time shit Wrestlemania and ratings continuing to fall, NXT having it's worst year since 2012, TNA surviving the year by the skin of their teeth..again, ROH losing talent and relevancy, NOAH...well we won't go there. From my perspective those can be interesting metrics, but the one that matters most to me as a fan is the quality of the product I'm presented and for me the pros more than outweighed the cons and I'll be damned if I didn't see a lot of great wrestling last year. With the rise of on demand streaming networks, legal or otherwise, making virtually every wrestling promotion on the planet accessible if you have an internet connection, I truly believe there was something on offer for every type of wrestling fan in 2016, even Jim loved that Evolve show he watched.

To give you guys a window into a failed project, Zero and I last year were planning to write an ebook about the 100 greatest matches of 2015 based on everything we had watched during the year. We both created top 100 lists, merged them together to make one ultimate top 100 list and we were going to write reviews about every match that made our combined list. We put a lot of work into it, the reviews turned into love letters which turned into essays and the project failed as it became too big for me to dedicate time to so I pulled the plug on it. 99% of wrestling that I've consumed in the last 13 months has been from 2016 from WWE to US indies to Puro to Lucha to Britwres and beyond and I felt the urge to put together another top 100 list and document what I felt the finest matches of the year were and why on WC. This time there will be no ebook, and there won't be any essay length reviews of the matches, just a little blurb about why I loved the matches that made the list.

I'm going to post these in 10 match blocks and hopefully I can get this finished before January ends. The matches eligible to make the list were matches that aired between January 1st-December 31st 2016, which is important to stress when it comes to Lucha Underground that taped the first half of Season 2 in 2015.

I'm gonna start off as lists like this usually do with some honorary mentions that for one reason or another did not make my top 100

Index:

Spoiler:

Honourable Mentions/Hoots of the Year:
    - Brock Lesnar Vs Goldberg
    - Mark Haskins Vs Zack Gibson
    - Mascarita Sagrada Vs Famous B
    - Kalisto Vs Baron Corbin
    - Nakamura's NJPW farewell 6 man
    - Will Ospreay Vs Matt Riddle
    -
    Brian Kendrick Vs Gran Metalik Vs Cederic Alexander Vs Rich Swann
    -
    Yuji Okabayashi Vs Ryoto Hama
    -
    Braun Strowman Vs James Ellsworth
    - The Final Deletion

#100-#91

- Minoru Suzuki Vs Masa Kitamiya
    - Kalisto Vs Alberto Del Rio
    - Drew Gulak Vs Mike Quackenbush
    - Intercontinental Championship 7 Man Ladder Match
    - Hiroyoshi Tenzan Vs Tomohiro Ishii
    - Pentagon Dark Vs The Black Lotus Triad
    - Triple H Vs Dean Ambrose
    - Kushida Vs Jushin 'Thunder' Liger
    - Marty Scurll Vs Will Ospreay Vs Dragon Lee
    - Katsuyori Shibata Vs Satoshi Kojima

#90-#81

- Ricochet Vs Will Ospreay BOSJ
    - Ricochet Vs Will Ospreay Evolve
    - Asuka Vs Bayley
    - Dean Ambrose Vs Roman Reigns Vs Brock Lesnar
    - Zack Sabre Jr Vs Roddy Strong
    - Guerrillas of Destiny Vs GBH
    - Katsuyori Shibata Vs Yuji Nagata
    - Kevin Owens Vs Dean Ambrose
    - Fantastic Gate Generation Warfare 10 man tag
    - Marty Scurll Vs Kyle O'Reilly

#80-#71

- Ryusuke Taguchi Vs Matt Sydal
    - Sasha Banks Vs Charlotte HIAC
    - Kento Miyahara Vs Kengo Mashimo
    - Will Ospreay Vs Zack Sabre Jr
    - Monster Express Vs Veserk
    - Katsuyori Shibata Vs Tomohiro Ishii
    - Mariposa Vs Sexy Star
    - Maximo Sexy Vs Kamaitachi
    - Seth Rollins Vs Roman Reigns Vs Dean Ambrose
    - Chris Hero Vs Matt Riddle

#70-#61

- Akira Tozawa Vs Jack Gallagher
    - Marty Scurll Vs Mark Andrews
    - Kenny Omega Vs Yoshi-Hashi
    - Tomohiro Ishii Vs Hiroshi Tanahashi
    - The Miz Vs Dolph Ziggler
    - Zack Sabre Jr Vs Drew Gulak
    - Tomohiro Ishii Vs Tetsuya Naito
    - Akira Tozawa's Dragon Gate Farewell 6 Man Tag
    - Kairai Hojo Vs Io Shirai
    - Kento Miyahara Vs Jun Akiyama

#60-#51

- The Royal Rumble
    - Shingo Takagi Vs YAMATO
    - AJ Styles Vs John Cena
    - Yuji Okabayashi Vs Hideyoshi Kamaitani
    - Kenny Omega Vs Hirooki Goto
    - Naomichi Marufuji Vs Hiroshi Tanahashi
    - Kushida Vs Kyle O'Reilly
    - AJ Styles Vs Dean Ambrose Vs John Cena
    - Hiroshi Tanahashi Vs SANADA
    - Cesaro Vs Sheamus

#50-#41

- Charlotte Vs Sasha Banks Vs Becky Lynch
    - Kyle O'Reilly Vs Katsuyori Shibata
    - Bayley Vs Asuka
    - Roman Reigns Vs Seth Rollins
    - American Alpha Vs The Revival
    - Canis Lupus Vs Trauma I
    - Hiroshi Tanahashi Vs SANADA
    - Fenix and Pentagon Jr Vs Chris Hero and Tommy End
    - Dragon Lee Vs Kamaitachi
    - Kenny Omega Vs Tetsuya Naito

#40-#31

- Will Ospreay Vs Fenix
    - Sasha Banks Vs Charlotte
    - Chris Hero Vs Zack Sabre Jr
    - Johnny Gargano Vs Tommaso Ciampa
    - Chris Hero Vs Tracy Williams
    - Io Shirai Vs Mayu Iwatani
    - Chris Hero and Tommy End Vs Zack Sabre Jr and Sami Callihan
    - Io Shirai Vs Meiko Satomura
    - Michael Elgin Vs Katsuhiko Nakajima

#30-#21

- Will Ospreay Vs Shane Strickland
    - AJ Styles Vs Roman Reigns
    - American Alpha Vs The Revival
    - Sasha Banks Vs Charlotte
    - Kazuchika Okada Vs Naomichi Marufuji
    - AJ Styles Vs Dean Ambrose
    - Kota Ibushi Vs Cedric Alexander
    - Will Ospreay Vs Kushida
    - The Miz Vs Cesaro Vs Sami Zayn Vs Kevin Owens
    - TJ Perkins Vs Gran Metalik

#20-#11

- Team Raw Vs Team Smackdown
    - Aztec Warfare II
    - AJ Styles Vs John Cena
    - Kevin Owens Vs Sami Zayn
    - Shinsuke Nakamura Vs AJ Styles
    - Chris Hero Vs Tomohiro Ishii
    - Kota Ibushi Vs TJ Perkins
    - Delta Vs Galactar
    - Meiko Satomura Vs Aja Kong
    - Chris Hero Vs Zack Sabre Jr

#10-#1

- Hiroshi Tanahashi Vs Kazuchika Okada
    - Marty Scurll Vs Will Ospreay
    - AJ Styles Vs Roman Reigns
    - Tomohiro Ishii Vs Kazuchika Okada
    - Dragon Lee Vs Kamaitachi
    - The Revival Vs DIY
    - Kota Ibushi Vs The Brian Kendrick
    - Shinsuke Nakamura Vs Sami Zayn
    - The Revival Vs DIY
    Last edited by Ed; 02-27-2017 at 01:09 PM.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Re: Ed's Top 100 Matches of 2016

I hardly watched any wrestling in 2016 besides some of the bigger WWE pay per views. I'll be following this as a source to check some things out. Look forward to reading.
    Last edited by BD22; 01-14-2017 at 04:20 PM.

BIG KAIJU~

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

I've pretty much seen loads of great matches in the U.S this past year. I look forward more what are you top favs from Lucha and Puro especially since I love that style of Wrestling more than ever the past few years.

Real Women of Genius

The place to see the best of best of Women's Wrestling from all over the World

The Planet's Admin

Status

The Honorary Mentions

By no means are the next 10 matches the 110th-101st best matches of 2016; about half are matches that just missed out on the cut last night and are a little unlucky to be grouped here, with the rest being great wrestling moments that I loved wrapped up in a matches that can't be considered anywhere close to the top 100. They are presented in no particular order.

November 20th 2016
    Brock Lesnar Vs Goldberg - WWE Survivor Series

It's not often I'm happy I spent a whole day off WC and social media not to find out the results of a WWE pay-per-view, but after Goldberg defeated Brock Lesnar in the most shocking result since the streak ended, I felt fully vindicated because I hadn't missed out on the same shock that the American and Canadian fans got watching live. We all know the Lesnar matches haven't been the same quality as they were in 2015, but to me he's still very much a must see act because of how different his matches feel to anyone elses in the company. And then there's Goldberg, who we all thought was back more for the video game hype than anything else, but through nostalgia, heartfelt promos and that badass babyface character that WWE has been so lacking in, Goldberg was a hit with fans again. Time will tell if Vince's ballsy booking decision was a good idea or not, but for now I'm all in on Goldberg's return.

16th October 2016
    Mark Haskins Vs Zack Gibson - PROGRESS: Chapter 37

MY NAME IS ZACK GIB-- BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

No-one can generate heat quite like Zack Gibson can at the moment, half his screen time is taken up with him trying to cut his pre-match promo before being drown out with boos from the crowd, in fact at Chapter 36 Gibson and the rest of the Origin were treated to toilet paper streamers and his promo took nearly 5 minutes to get out. However, don't let the scouser hate fool you into thinking he's all character work, he's a very good wrestler and that was on show in this title match with new champion Mark Haskins at Chapter 37 with good submission work towards the climax. Of course being in Manchester, the crowd were relentless in their hatred for Liverpool's number one, and sung football chants at him all match so they were very happy to see Gibson ultimately fail.

November 9th 2016
    Mascarita Sagrada Vs Famous B - Lucha Underground S3 E10

This was a believer's backlash match which is Lucha Underground's version of fans bring the weapons and it's worth the honorary mention alone for 'Hot tub guy' Da Shawn 2 Cents bringing a giant bag of popcorn as his weapon. In what has been a hit and miss season so far for Lucha Underground, this strangely is one of my favourites from the season. I think this match mixed slapstick comedy with a redemption storyline as well as they possibly could as the temple's favourite mini was gunning for revenge on his former agent after Famous B turned heel and 'upgraded' clients for Dr. Wagner Jr. I always will praise Lucha Underground for their attention to detail and callback spots, so Mascarita using a shoe (Matt Striker's in fact) to whip Famous B the way he was whipped in the heel turn as the weapon to gain victory with was a true full circle moment. The post match celebrations of Son Of Havoc helping Mascarita chop the head off the Famous B cutout and giving him a biker's jacket was a fitting end to a nice little story for Lucha Underground.

December 4th 2016
    Kalisto Vs Baron Corbin - WWE TLC

A career best match from Baron Corbin. This had no right to be as good as it was, but they used the chairs stipulation brilliantly in this cat and mouse match as an equaliser for Kalisto and a weapon to inflict more damage for Corbin. Corbin's a limited wrestler, but when you play to his strengths as a bully like he was here, and give him plenty of Talking Smack appearances then he's a more than capable midcard heel for Smackdown Live. Kalisto too was great bumping for Corbin throughout and brought his good lucha....thing A-Game to The Lone Wolf.

January 30th 2016
    Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada and Tomohiro Ishii Vs Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hirooki Goto and Katsuyori Shibata
    NJPW The Road To The New Beginning

Arguably the most star studded 6 man tag that New Japan booked all year, 6 of the best native wrestlers that have played their part in their boom peroid since 2012. It's a pretty good match, but being a house show they don't go balls to the wall and so ultimately it's not a top 100 match for the year, but it's one of my favourites all the same. The reason this match makes the list is it's the farewell match for Shinsuke Nakamura before he leaves for WWE NXT as he teams up with his two most trusted Chaos stablemates to take on an all star team led by his greatest rival Hiroshi Tanahashi. Being Shinsuke's last night, there's obviously a special aura to the match right from his entrance where the korakuen crowd are all waving YeaOh banners and chanting 'SHIIINSUKE SHIIIINSUKE' throughout, there's magic in his interactions with Tanahashi, and the post match is just an incredible emotion moment as the rest of chaos come to the ring wearing his shirt and a teary Okada carries him out on his shoulders. It's not all the Nakamura show though, they do find the time to make the match about the future and build to Goto/Okada, Ishii/Shibata and Tanahashi was revealed to be Omega's opponent for Nakamura's now vacant IC title.

November 27th 2016
    Will Ospreay Vs Matt Riddle - Progress Chapter 39

I don't think it's close to being either man's best match this year, but what it is is a great example of how infectious Matt Riddle is and how he's taken over the independent circuit this year, winning over fans in every promotion in record time. After a few minutes, 'This is Bro-gress' chants had broken around at the Electric Ballroom on Riddle's UK debut. This match is a terrific 100 mile an hour sprint that only goes 10 minutes that Riddle dominated and won, but Ospreay managed to fit all his signature spots into.

September 19th 2016
    Brian Kendrick Vs Gran Metalik Vs Cedric Alexander Vs Rich Swann - WWE Monday Night Raw

It didn't take long to work out that WWE's handling of the cruiserweights wasn't going to be anything like how they were treated in the CWC. In fact the warning signs were there on the first night they debuted on the main roster where new champion TJ Perkins wasn't anywhere to be seen, and Mick Foley had to introduce the four competitors by reading their names off a scrap of paper. The saving grace however was that they booked these dudes in a four way #1 contenders match where they put on an exciting spotfest which remains today one of the only WWE cruiserweight matches that delivers on the promise of high energy, high flying wrestling that you won't see from their other brands. It's a rare appearance by the great Gran Metalik and Alexander for me was the man of the match and someone who showed he can be a future star in the company, if only he was paired with a beautiful woman to help him get over.

January 24th 2016
    Yuji Okabayashi Vs Ryoto Hama - BJW

This is the greatest fat man match I've ever seen. Yuji Okabayashi might be one of the strongest mother fuckers in wrestling, but when you're facing a man the size of Hama who weighs in at about 450 pounds that strength advantage is somewhat nullified. Okabayashi is fantastic in his role be it struggling to find a way to knock Hama off his feet, or selling simple moves from Hama like death. Ultimately Okabayashi powers through his struggles to chop Hama down with about 5 lariats and 2 splashes from the top rope to retain his title in a hell of a challenge.

July 25th 2016
    Braun Strowman Vs James Ellsworth - WWE Monday Night Raw

I could of included this even before Ellsworth returned later in the year, because this was one of the best squash matches in years. One of the lesser talked about points about the brand split returning was the return of the proper jobber squash matches where WWE stars of the future are booked to comfortably defeat, or in this case destroy, local talent no-stars. I think it's a booking mechanism WWE have neglected for so long and I was really happy to see it used again which really put the Braun singles push off to a perfect start; it has more impact than Braun squashing the likes of Curtis Axel. But of course the star of the show was James Ellsworth; a small, no-chinned local wrestler who was lucky enough to cut a promo before the match where he famously said 'any man with two hands has a fighting chance' before his face told a different story when he found out who his opponent was. Obviously since then the James Ellsworth character has gone on to be a cult hit; he landed himself a WWE contract and a feud with AJ Styles and whether you like him or not, it's hard not to be happy for a guy who impressed so much in this 1 minute loss to Braun Strowman.

July 5th 2016
    Matt Hardy Vs Jeff Hardy - TNA Impact 'The Final Deletion'

You can't tell the full story of the world of professional wrestling in 2016 without touching on BROKEN Matt Hardy and one of the finest career resurrections in the industry that has not only made Matt Hardy the most popular Hardy for the first time since 2005, he's actually become one of the most in-demand wrestlers outside of WWE. In TNA the angle has run it's course now with most casual fans, but If there's one thing I can count on the good people of this forum to agree on, it's that the peak of this whole gimmick was the masterpiece, 'The Final Deletion' that saw Impact gain it's highest rating of the year. I've gone on record as saying I don't really consider this a match and for that reason it was never was a contender to make my top 100, but without a doubt it was one of the most enjoyable segments of wrestling I watched during the year. The epic set up to the match was something else with King Maxwell being given an extraordinary xylophone on his birthday, Senor Benjamin preparing the battlefield for massacre, Vanguard 1 invading Jeff's house, Matt mowing Jeff's lawn with his motif, the perplexed look on the referee when he showed up to the ring. The 'match' was initially a letdown up until the fireworks came out and Senor Benjamin returned. Nothing quite pushed wrestling to it's creative boundaries quite like The Final Deletion last year.

BIG KAIJU~

Status

Mascarita Sagrada Vs Famous B was one of those matches where early on I wasn't liking Famous B before hand, but their were little things in that match for people who saw the match that made me finally get into his character. Great to see the Final Deletion apart of your list, it started a string of great things for Matt Hardy who at the time yeah was World Champion once in the company, but he really isn't getting any steam as a character in my opinion. When he came back to TNA after his match with Jeff and he was dressing as Willow and speaking in talk you can't find in a Dictionary and I was like what is this. With Corgan letting Matt continue developing his character, it started to get better and better and the fans started to dig everything he was doing with Jeff. Easily to me top 5 best Matches for TNA in 2016 when it comes to entertainment value, and really gave Matt Hardy career new life.

Real Women of Genius

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Just signed up to NJPW world so plan to go back and check out some old NJPW stuff from last year so shall be interested to see what pops up on your list.

Status

"does Omega vs Naito make the list?"

i'll be surprised if it doesn't.

Should be cool to follow this for sure.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

Definately looking forward to this Top 100 2016 Matches countdown, Ed. Already off to a good start with the honorable mentions - Famous B/Mascarita Sagrada MOTC. This'll probably be even better considering you're not limiting this to just WWE. I can't say I'm an avid watched of anything not WWE/LU but if something outside my hive is on your list, I'll try to check it out.

CWA: A Decade of Decadence
    Maybe the end of something great.
    Maybe the start of something new.
    Stay tuned.

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Interested in how much Chris Hero shows up vs. A.J. Styles. And also the Euro trio of Ospreay, Scurll and Sabre Jr. Ricochet and Riddle feel like they might show up a bit too. Other than that, probably which tournament dominates the most (likely G1. But CWC might have a bit).

The Planet's Admin

Status

#100 - #91

#100 - November 23rd 2016

Minoru Suzuki Vs Masa Kitamiya - NOAH Global League Final

I cannot bury the Suzuki-Gun invasion of NOAH feud enough; it was bad in 2015 when it should of ended after Marufuji defeated Suzuki for the GHC Heavyweight title, but then it continued for another 12 months and they hit rock bottom. I've got a lot of time for their own talent, but the promotion became unwatchable to me because of the dominance of the New Japan loaned wrestlers. This however was one of the big matches of the year that felt like it delivered to me and gave me something to cling onto for hope that Suzuki can be great again at times for New Japan. This was the finals of the Global League, NOAH's version of the G1, and this was a final boss challenge for young Masa Kitamiya facing a man 20 years older than him. It was quite the jump for Kitamiya going from bottom of his block in 2015 to top of it in 2016, and he really showed some spirit and fire in there against Suzuki. The youngster would ultimately lose, but this is the match that got me on-board with Kitamiya as a star for the future in NOAH. It does have the meme worthy 'NOAH main event goes 30 minute' problem going against him but this is one worth enduring.

#99 - 14th January 2016
    Kalisto Vs Alberto Del Rio - WWE Smackdown

These two had plenty of good matches at the start of the year, but for me this was their best one together. This was the title rematch that came days after Kalisto stunned Del Rio to win the US Championship. Now angered by his shock defeat, Del Rio was more aggressive in the match, working over the arm with more intent than usually, bashing it on the steps over and over again. Kalisto fought bravely as the scrappy champion and gets in some good hope spots, but ultimately he falls foul to the arm bar as Del Rio's strategy wins out. One of my favourite TV matches of the year from a time period where people didn't give a fuck about Smackdown.

#98 - 3rd December 2016
    Drew Gulak Vs Mike Quackenbush - CHIKARA Supremacy

2016 was filled with many goodbyes to the indies given WWE's heavy recruitment policy for NXT and 205 Live; we've already seen one in the honorary mentions from Shinsuke Nakamura, there might be some more to come, but this one was one of the more low key goodbyes of the year. An encore for the CHIKARA season finale, Gulak was told by Mike Quackenbush that he could have a match with anyone he wanted, and given his brother couldn't be there in Chicago that night he decided to pick Quack himself to have one last match in CHIKARA. Naturally these guys were perfect opponents for each other, putting on a grappling masterclass at times, but getting more brutal with each other as the match went on - it's one of Gulak's best matches all year and it's the Gulak I fear that we won't see on WWE Programming. Gulak's not readily associated with CHIKARA because he spent most of his time there under a mask, but it was clear from Quack, the roster and the fans in attendance that they respected all he'd given the promotion over the years and this was just as classy a sendoff as anyone had in the indies in 2016.

#97 - April 3rd 2016
    Intercontinental Championship 7 Man Ladder Match - WWE Wrestlemania 32

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Goldberg beating Brock Lesnar wasn't the shocker of the year, Goldberg was always at least 2nd favourite to win that match, something that I can't say for Zack Ryder in this one. I'm being tongue in cheek of course but damn was that a left field choice from Vince McMahon at Wrestlemania. I'm not a big ladder match guy anymore, and this is such a lazy match to book for the biggest show of the year but it had some real plus point to it in 2016. Namely, it was the Wrestlemania debuts for Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens, which is awesome in it's own right, but coming off a demanding match against Shinsuke Nakamura, Zayn didn't shy away from giving it his all here. Everyone worked hard here and had their moment, even Stardust brought out the polka dot ladder which is probably the best thing to ever happen to the character. Ryder winning was a cool surprise and feel good moment for a guy that has had the rug pulled out from under him on too many occasions.....like the next night on Raw.

#96 - 18th July 2016
    Hiroyoshi Tenzan Vs Tomohiro Ishii - NJPW G1 Climax Night 1

When Satoshi Kojima gave up his spot in the G1 Climax to his best mate Hiroyoshi Tenzan I was pissed off because Kojima can give you solid performances throughout the tournament and Tenzan to put it politely can't the state his body is in. However I had totally underestimated the story of a potential Tenzen miracle run in his final ever G1 and how invested the fans would be in him, more so than they would for Kojima having good matches. The atmosphere for his night one opponent Ishii was special and the match too was a banger, kicking the tournament off in style with a hard hitting contest and a Tenzan win. Of course 'best booker in the world' Gedo messed it up and had Tenzan out of the equation to top Block A way too early which sours the story somewhat, but this first night was magic. I was wrong to doubt Tenzan.

#95 - November 30th 2016
    Pentagon Dark Vs The Black Lotus Triad - Lucha Underground S3 E13

My favourite episodes of Lucha Underground are when the entire hour gets dedicated to one match, stuff like 'All Night Long' and 'Aztec Warfare' are true highlights of the season for me. One episode this season that separates itself from the pack was Pentagon Dark's gauntlet match against every member of the Black Lotus Triad, one after the other with the added stipulation of win or lose, Pentagon must wrestle all four women. For those not aware The Black Lotus Triad are Stardom trio that Shake and co. are crazy for, Io Shirai, Kairi Hojo and Mayu Iwatani, and their LU leader Black Lotus. I'm on record as not being much of a fan of intergender wrestling, but because the three stardom women are all great wrestlers, and because Pentagon has such a cool presence in matches like this I ended up loving this gauntlet match. The three matches from Kairi to Mayu to Io all increase both in quality and level of challenge to Pentagon who after winning the first two matches, succumbs to Io in the third match. The fourth and final match with Black Lotus is just an angle, but overall this was a really entertaining hour of television.

#94 - 12th March 2016

Triple H Vs Dean Ambrose - WWE Roadblock

No not that Roadblock, the other roadblock during Wrestlemania season. Here Triple H was defending his newly won WWE Championship against Dean Ambrose on a gloried house show and the match proved to be 100 times better than the Wrestlemania main event we would get later down the road with Roman Reigns. This was a great ending to a fun show that wouldn't of looked misplaced alongside Triple H's best title matches. Ambrose looked like someone who belonged in WWE title matches, he brought the fight to Triple H and managed to express his personality on the match at the same time by stuff like grabbing Hunter's big nose coming out of a headlock and doing the DX chop on the floor. He also got a visual 3 count off the dirty deeds, but the ref declared his feet were under the rope so the pin wasn't legal. Part-time Triple H is a mixed bag; you either get something great (Bryan, Shield 6 mans, Ambrose) or something shit (Reigns, Sting).

#93 - May 3rd 2016
    Kushida Vs Jushin 'Thunder' Liger - NJPW Wrestling Dontaku

It's so nice to sit down to a New Japan Jr Heavyweight title match without fear of the match being ruined by interference. This was a match I was looking forward to for a number of reasons; it was a continuation of Kushida's first true run as the ace of the Jr division, amazingly it was Liger's first shot at the Jr title since 2010, and Liger single matches of this nature are becoming a rarer sight so you appreciate them even more. They worked a solid match built on the mutual respect between today's greatest Jr and the all time greatest Jr. and it offered a different style of match to Kushida's series against Ospreay.

#92 - December 2nd 2016
    Marty Scurll Vs Will Ospreay Vs Dragon Lee - ROH Final Battle

One of the biggest surprises to me during 2016 was Marty Scurll and Will Ospreay signing contracts with ROH while all this WoS/WWE stuff was going on. It was a hell of a coup for Ring of Honor to sign up two of the very best British Wrestling has to offer and two of the biggest names in all of independent wrestling. They debuted for the company on a UK tour, where the ROH TV Title was traded from Bobby Fish, to Will Ospreay, to Marty Scurll which helped get both guys over as impact players in the promotion. With the TV title match for Final Battle already being booked as Bobby Fish defending against CMLL's Dragon Lee, the title shuffle had forced a reshuffle and a Fatal-Four-Way was booked. Sadly Bobby had to miss the show following the death of his mother, so a further reshuffle changed the 4 way into a 3 way. When you take arguably the best feud in independent wrestling, and add in one of the most exciting luchadors on the planet into the equation, you're left with a great match and star making performances for Scurll and Ospreay. The Final Battle MOTN.

#91 - March 19th 2016
    Katsuyori Shibata Vs Satoshi Kojima - NJPW The Road To Invasion Attack

This was a part of the tremendous Shibata against the New Japan Dads storyline that dominated the first half of the year for the NEVER Openweight Champion. However it's a match that some people might have missed because New Japan made the odd decision to put this match on a 'road to' show that wouldn't air on New Japan World for quite some time (it's available now though). This was a textbook NEVER match; both men were brutal with each other, Shibata worked over Kojima's lariat arm which was sold beautifully and they built to the signature spots well. The one thing this match was lacking for me was the sense of drama that the title switch was possible, because the title defence against Tenzan was already booked for Invasion Attack, and with this being a show that New Japan World subscribers couldn't see live, there was no way Shibata would lose this one. I loved Katsuyori Shibata matches in the first half of the year.

BIG KAIJU~

Status

Yeah The Black Lotus Clan vs Pentagon Dark still the best episode from this Season's LU so far, and I remember watching the match and thinking wait till Io Shirai gets in there with Pentagon she's going to fuck him up and she did

Io is just the best, she'll fight a Bear and put it to sleep.

Real Women of Genius

Say My Name

Status

Obviously I haven't seen a lot of these but the ones I have were really good.

That Kalisto/ADR feud at the beginning of the year was actually very entertaining and a lot of the best stuff happened on SmackDown.

The WrestleMania multi-man ladder match was one of the best in recent memory with a bonkers finish and in a weird way you can sort of say that was the start of The Miz as he got the title shot the next night and the rest was history.

The Lucha Underground gauntlet match episode was all sorts of fun and was even more entertaining for me as I hadn't seen any of the women wrestle at all. Like you the intergender thing doesn't usually do it for me but it worked well here.

And I'm pretty sure that Roadblock match Ambrose had with Triple H ensured he got Lesnar at Mania. I might even rewatch it tomorrow as from what I remember I thought it was superb at the time. Dean was really hot up to Mania last year before things flopped with Jericho afterwards.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    United States

I wish we could have put those reviews out there SO BAD because they were SO GREAT. I was damn proud of the work we did. I don't know if it would have made a big splash but I can't imagine someone reading that book and not wanting to give those matches a chance. Maybe not as much now as a year ago but I loved what we did.

I liked all these matches (Not Dean/H), didn't love any outside of the ladder match and I use that term loosely, also probably would have put Riddle/Ospreay above most too, that was a hell of a match. Think Masa Kitamiya is a star and they had a really solid match together and Masa is such a great babyface, really liked his title shot too.

Awesome thread and good start. Can't wait to see how it plays out, Ed.

The Planet's Admin

Status

#90 - #81

#90 - May 27th 2016
    Ricochet Vs Will Ospreay - New Japan BOSJ

#89 - 2nd April 2016
    Ricochet Vs Will Ospreay - Evolve 59

I'm going to group these two matches together. I'm a fan of Ricochet and I'm a big fan of Will Ospreay, and these are really good high flying matches, but they do feel more like exhibition matches and it's a style of match which makes both guys feel 1 dimensional when they're better than that. There's just only so high I list matches of that type. Vader's overreaction to a gif does mean the BOSJ match is more famous and stands a chance of being an all time classic New Japan Jr's match in westerner eyes, but to me the Evolve match as part of the Europe Vs USA series of matches was just that bit better.

#88 - April 1st 2016
    Asuka Vs Bayley - NXT Takeover Dallas

These women had the unenviable task of having to follow Nakamura vs Zayn that tore the house down at NXT Takeover Dallas; years ago that would of been a death spot on the card but NXT has gotten so many of their fans invested in their women's championship this was just a continuation of the 'must-see' anticipation of NXT's biggest show. Bayley was the defending champion, stepping out from the other horsewomen's shadow and bridging that gap to the next generation of NXT's women's division, but she was up against her biggest challenge to date, a veteran wrestler from Japan who had been undefeated since debuting in the company; Asuka. The booking of Asuka was tremendous from her debut in how she put the fear of god into Emma and Dana and destroyed them in matches, she was a badass from the get go, but now that badass wanted the NXT title and suddenly Bayley was back to being the ultimate underdog. They worked a pretty good match here with Bayley coming up against new challenges and a different style than what she was used to, and the good booking of the championship continued with Bayley's body giving up, but not Bayley herself, when she was caught in the Asuka lock and faded away. Great way to switch the #1 and #2 wrestlers in a division.

#87 - February 21st 2016
    Dean Ambrose Vs Brock Lesnar Vs Roman Reigns - WWE Fastlane

Whilst I was higher on Styles/Jericho than most, this is really the only thing worth watching from WWE Fastlane. With Triple H as champion following his rumble win, a #1 contender needed to be found to main event the biggest Wrestlemania in history and yet again fans tuned into Fastlane hoping that Vince would have a change of heart. He didn't. This match follows very much the same story of the amazing Cena/Rollins/Lesnar triple threat from 2015 where Ambrose and Reigns teamed up to take out the big threat Lesnar by putting him through multiple tables before they could fight it out like bros to find out who gets to main event mania. Surprise surprise the table spots didn't keep Lesnar out of the match and he returned to the ring for a hot closing finish, but it was Reigns who powered through to pin Ambrose.

#86 - March 5th 2016
    Zack Sabre Jr Vs Roddy Strong - PWG All Star Weekend Night 2

If you've never seen these guys first match in PWG from 2015, then fuck you missed out a classic, it was the match that made Zack a star in PWG and started the European revolution over in California. This was really good but didn't hit the MOTYC levels we've seen before. It started off like a house on fire with Roddy, the heel, bringing out a stooge ref because he didn't want cult hero Rick Knox reffing his big title match so Knox superkicked Roddy's ref and stayed right where he was. Strong got so pissed off with the crowd chanting shitty little boots that he unlaced one of them and threw it at Zack. As you would expect from these two they put on a really good technical match that had the big fight feel that this year long story needed, and ultimately an insane run of submission moves earned Sabre Jr the win. A great way to end the Strong PWG title run.

#85 - 10th December 2016
    Guerrillas of Destiny Vs Great Bash Heel - New Japan Tag League Finals

The award for most surprising inclusion on the list from my POV goes to this tag team match between 4 pretty underwhelming wrestlers in 2016. GOD were are highly criticised part of New Japan last year after their newly formed team were pushed to the very top of the tag team division, becoming champions at the first time of asking by ending Honma and Makabe's run with the titles far too early. They had a really shaky start consisting of dull match after dull match, but their form started to turn after a pretty good match with Yoshi-Hashi and Ishii at King of Pro Wrestling and their Tag League was pretty solid especially the tournament finals. Tama and Tonga hit such a good groove in this match, they destroyed Honma and Makabe for the majority which allowed Honma to bring out one of his classic underdog performances and Makabe to put in a motivated shift as a pissed off brawler. The match went over 25 minutes, but never felt like it outstayed it's welcome and it was GBH who would complete the comeback and win the tournament for the 2nd year in a row. To compare their first match together in April with this finals match in December is chalk and cheese.

#84 - June 19th 2016
    Katsuyori Shibata Vs Yuji Nagata - NJPW Dominion

The completion of the Shibata Vs The Dads storyline. Shibata had been completed humbled at Wrestling Dontaku when his defences against the dads came unstuck when Yuji Nagata defeated him for the title (JUSTICCCCCCCCCEEEEEEE). Now it was time to learn from his mistakes and put right a shock result from Dontaku in the title rematch. This was exactly the hard hitting match you'd expect from these two, Shibata more stiff and resolute trying to win back his title and Nagata showing buckets of fighting spirit in representing his generation and not wanting to let them down. Given I had this theory of Nagata defending the NEVER title on Lionsgate shows I felt the match really could of swung either way which helped me enjoy the match even more. Shibata won with the PK kick, and after the match, Shibata bows to Nagata, and Nagata hugs him back before Tenzan, Kojima and Nakanishi all shake his hand. Katsuyori Shibata after all the issues he's had with New Japan in his career is now respected and officially endorsed by the legends on the roster as one of the good brothers. Now he has to feud with his wife's dad.

#83 - January 24th 2016
    Kevin Owens Vs Dean Ambrose - WWE Royal Rumble

The Royal Rumble was a really fun show and it opened up with an Intercontinental Championship match between Kevin Owens and Dean Ambrose fought under Last Man Standing stipulations. It was your typical WWE plunder match with the old favourites coming out to play (table, kendo stick, chair), but some delightful touches like Ambrose using the stairs to pull him up to his feet and Owens rolling out of the ring onto his feet at 9 before falling right back down again really raised my enjoyment of the modern day WWE hardcore match. These two took a lot of punishment from one another and the finishing spot with Owens sentoning into 2 stacked tables was a great way to end things. To put the cherry on the cake, both men entered the Rumble later in the night selling the injuries of this match.

#82 - December 1st 2016
    CIMA, Dragon Kid, GAMMA, Don Fuji and Masaaki Mochizuki Vs Ben-K, Hyo Watanabe, Katsumi Takashima, Shun Skywalker and Yuji Yoshioka -
    Dragon Gate: Fantastic Gate

I LOVE this match concept. What we've got here is five legends of Dragon-gate that make up the oldest generation of active wrestlers against the babies of their dojo, and in Takashima's case someone who was wrestling their first ever match. The veterans seemed so grumpy and pissed off that they had to wrestle this match against kids who didn't deserve to be in the same ring as them, so they just beat the crap out of them and it was up to the kids to step up to the plate and fight back. Naturally being Japan, the legends won, but the 5 youngsters sure left an impression. Ben-K is gonna be a huge deal for Dragon Gate, he's so good already.

#81 - March 4th 2016
    Marty Scurll Vs Kyle O'Reilly - PWG All Star Weekend Night 1

'The Villain' Marty Scurll had an amazing year in his career helping put British Wrestling on the map, being a sought after talent on the indys and landing a deal with Ring of Honor. For me, he was PWG's MVP even before he won BOLA after performances like this one against a returning Kyle O'Reilly. He's just so great at interacting with the raucous crowd but not straying into Kevin Steen stand up comedy territory. I can't believe the 180 I've done in recent years on Kyle since his first BOSJ, I'm not so sold on his reDRagon work this year, but he's grown so much as a singles wrestler. These two put on a great showcase of technical wrestling, counters, submissions and stiff offence. Easily one of the best PWG matches all year and better than anything from BOLA. Also, Sleazy Kyle returned!
    Last edited by Ed; 02-27-2017 at 12:41 PM.

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Thoughts on the matches I've watched:

Brock Lesnar vs. Goldberg: Still hate it as a Big Four PPV main event and still makes me sad that I nearly went to it before I was swept away in a tide of WWE hate. This helped.

#97 IC 7-Man Ladder Match: Was equally stunned by the Zack Ryder victory. I actually enjoy this token ladder match, they're usually always guaranteed mindless fun and a great way to get tons of guys on the show. Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens are definitely talented enough to warrant better spots on the card. That said, aside from the actually guy in question winning, couldn't remember much from this match

#89 Ricochet vs. Will Ospreay: Didn't watch the EVOLVE 59 version but I absolutely loved the BOSJ match and I think even more than the Ospreay/Scurll match from High Stakes 2016, this was probably what made me fall in love with Ospreay. They're match at OTT to close out the year was just as good (if not slightly better). I'm sure I'll watch EVOLVE 59 down the line.

I've watch both KO vs. Ambrose and the triple threat math with Reigns/Ambrose/Lesnar but for some reason they just slip my mind. Lots of matches on this list I'll probably be compelled to watch.

VOW started releasing their 100 too. Goldberg/Lesnar and KUSHIDA/Liger are the only ones that have so far popped up on both. Looking forward to the next one.

Status

all powerful matches Ed

mochizuki is the man

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

Too much weab shit for my taste bro I don't watch Japanese dudes, give me some American meat.

Weird that I watched 1 PPV all year and it was RR and I even text you about how good that match was. Incredible.

WC Fantrax Premiership

2014 - 20/12/5 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2015 - 21/14/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2016 - 21/14/1 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2017 - 20/15/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2018 - 20/15/1 - 4th in Regular Season, 2nd Overall

Status

how about you just shut the fuck up nash and watch it

you'd cream yourself

chumptastic

edit: nash neg repped me cause hes not powerful
    Last edited by RainShaker; 01-25-2017 at 03:04 AM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Jobber

Status

Some good reviews here. Brings back memories of when I used to be able to get excited about a current wrestling product. That is kind of a sad state of the industry that the original poster brings up about how TNA barely survived and ROH losing relevancy and NXT having their worst year. But they'll always be quality wrestling for the fan that knows what to watch.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    United States

Good and fair rating for both Ricochet/Ospreay matches, and I agree about the EVOLVE match being better, was surprised at this as I remember you praising the BOSJ match as special.

I watched Kana/Ayumi Kurihara right before Asuka/Bayley...big big mistake. Good match though. Finish rocked and was a direct callback to Kana's run and they deserve credit for following the fan favorite match in Nak/Zayn and didn't die out there.

Triple threat was good.

Roddy/ZSJ was darn good, one of both men's best matches this year with Roddy falling off the face of the Earth, I can't believe how much Roddy's been lost in NXT.

Loved the WTL Finals, how hard is it to stomach that NJPW decided to throw away the Guerrillas RIGHT when they were getting their groove in NJPW after getting complained about forever in favor of Yano. GBH is a good team & Honma just rocks. One of the more underrated guys imo.

Shibata/Nagata was the first match I thought "whoa, that was way too low!" I could easily see Shibata/Nagata in my top 50-30. It was honestly my favorite NJPW match of the year before the G1 and still would be better than most Nagata's so freaking great and Shibata seemed to be in a groove, but honestly none of either man's matches in G1 were as good as this imo and what a great moment, what a great storyline. Especially in a company built around "Bullet Club II" LIJ & beyond stale Okada, I really loved everything about that and I think that played a role in my enjoyment of it.

The main thing I remember about Owens/Dean was the Royal Rumble selling. Really rad hardcore match though.

Loved the DG 10 man tag, hope people give it a chance. Ben-K & Skywalker looked really good & just lots of fun.

Probably would have rated KOR/Scurll below a bunch of these other matches but it was a good match in a promotion I've largely soured on. Think it would be better elsewhere.

-

Love the thread as always.

Thread Information