Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Anthology: Han Solo (2018)

Status
      Country                    United States

Star Wars Anthology: Han Solo (2018)

Release date: May 25, 2018
    Studio: Walt Disney Pictures, Lucasfilm
    Directors: Phil Lord, Chris Miller
    MPAA Rating: N/A
    Screenwriters: Lawrence Kasdan, Jonathan Kasdan
    Starring: Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover, Emilia Clarke, Joonas Suotamo, Woody Harrelson
    Genre: Action, Sci-Fi, Adventure
    Official website: StarWars.com

Plot Summary: The new anthology film casts Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo and Donald Glover as Lando - bringing two iconic Star Wars characters back to the big screen, but at a time in their lives previously unexplored, years before the events involving Han, Luke, Leia, and Darth Vader in the original trilogy films

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: Star Wars Anthology: Han Solo (2018)

They pretty much got multiple tickets bought from me when they got Glover as Lando.

Sangre por Sangre

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Yeah I haven't been a big Han Solo fan like that over the years, but I'll check this for sure. Woody Harrelson is said to be the Mentor to Han who showed him the ropes and most likely taught him how to survive in the darkest situations.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

Clearly Woody didn't prepare him for the dark situation of teen angst.

Status

And filming has started!

Status

Ron Howard Steps in to Direct Han Solo Movie

Directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller were let go from the project after creative differences over style and tone came to a head.
    The Millennium Falcon has a new pilot.

Ron Howard has been named as the new director of Lucasfilm and Disney's untitled Han Solo movie, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter exclusively. The official announcement came later Thursday morning.

The move comes two days after directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller were let go from the movie they had spent over four-and-a-half months directing. Creative differences over style and tone came to a head between the duo and Lawrence Kasdan, with the studio backing the veteran screenwriter.

The firing sent shockwaves around Hollywood and beyond as the movie was about three-quarters through principal photography and the replacement of a director at that stage is near-unprecedented. The movie was scheduled to shoot for three and a half more weeks, with five weeks of reshoots built into the schedule — the latter a standard procedure on large franchise productions.

Howard, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter, will meet with the actors — Alden Ehrenreich is playing the iconic smuggler, Donald Glover is playing Lando Calrissian, with Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke and Thandie Newton also on the roll call — to soothe a rattled set and will pore over a rough edit to see what the project needs. Filming will resume on July 10.

"I'm beyond grateful to add my voice to the Star Wars Universe after being a fan since 5/25/77," Howard tweeted Thursday afternoon. "I hope to honor the great work already done & help deliver on the promise of a Han Solo film."

Howard, who directed 1995's Apollo 13 and won an Oscar for helming 2002's A Beautiful Mind, comes to the Han Solo film with several connections to George Lucas and the worlds of Lucasfilm. He appeared in Lucas' 1973 breakout film American Graffiti and helmed Lucas' 1988 pet fantasy project Willow. Howard also revealed on a podcast in 2015 that Lucas had approached him to direct 1999's Star Wars prequel The Phantom Menace.

Though his recent movies, including Inferno and In the Heart of the Sea, have been costly ventures that underperformed at the box office, Howard is considered to be a safe choice to complete the task, someone who will ably finish the movie while being a calming presence on set.

"At Lucasfilm, we believe the highest goal of each film is to delight, carrying forward the spirit of the saga that George Lucas began 40 years ago," said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, in a statement. "With that in mind, we're thrilled to announce that Ron Howard will step in to direct the untitled Han Solo film. We have a wonderful script, an incredible cast and crew and the absolute commitment to make a great movie."

Howard is repped by CAA.

The untitled Han Solo film is slated for release on May 25, 2018.
    Wow, so this film is 3/4ths through principal photography and they fire their directors. Pretty crazy story. I guess if anyone can save it, it's Ron Howard.

Sangre por Sangre

Status

Pretty much he's riding the Ship into Harbor, and he's one of those guys you can trust to get the job done.

Real Women of Genius

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

I was a little bit worried about this when they announced that creative differences had caused Lucasfilm to part ways with Lord and Miller but Ron Howard's a big fucking get of a name to come and take the reins so I'm feeling quite good about this changing of the guard, so to speak. I think Howard might be able to do something fun within the Star Wars universe, it's just a shame he's coming into production so late on and isn't really going to be able to put his own stamp on it; this could end up a strange mishmash of styles (which I doubt) or a weird neutral middleground (which is more likely) and neither bodes particularly well in the long run... but I love the cast and I'm still looking forward to this film.

Jobber

Status

I hope this is good, I'm a huge Star Wars fan and I hope Solo is played well, because it's going to be difficult to match Woody Harrelson, despite the fact that he didn't even like the role.

Sangre por Sangre

Status

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1674...lo-performance
    We already knew there were plenty of issues on the set of the Han Solo movie as regards the directing situation. However, it turns out that's not the only problem. Lucasfilm is worried about their star as well. According to a recent report, the studio became so concerned with Alden Ehrenreich's performance that they took the steps of hiring an acting coach to work with him on the set.

As The Hollywood Reporter points out, hiring an acting coach is not a particularly unusual thing for a movie. However, hiring one this late in production is something that's not seen often. Normally, if an actor requires a coach for any reason, that's clear from the outset and so the studio will bring one in during pre-production to work with the actor on whatever issues are being perceived. Bringing in an acting coach weeks into filming would indicate a previously unnoticed problem with the performance.

The coach brought in was reportedly Maggie Kiley, a woman who Phil Lord and Chris Miller had previously worked with on the set of 21 Jump Street. No specifics are given in regards to exactly what the problem with Alden Ehrenreich's performance was, so we're left to speculate, but without any details it's essentially impossible to even do that.

Needless to say, on its face, the idea that an acting coach was brought in this late in production is slightly concerning. The issue isn't that the coach was needed, as mentioned, coaches are not unusual. The concerning bit is that nobody realized the coach was needed until filming had begun. Everything we've heard about Alden Ehrenreich up to this point was that he was the perfect person to play the role. We've been told he was the first to audition among literally thousands of people who submitted themselves. Something about his audition was so memorable that after Phil Lord and Chris Miller had auditioned every white male on the planet between the ages of 18 and 40, they still remembered Ehrenreich's performance. The perfect candidate can certainly still need a bit of help to get the job done, but how was this not noticed previously?

While this piece of news is certainly curious, at the end of the day it's really just one more question heaped on top of many in regards to the Han Solo movie. Clearly, this movie has had some fundamental problems. On the plus side, we know that Rogue One: A Star Wars Story also had issues, resulting in significant reshoots, and that movie turned out ok in the end. It's still possible that the same thing will happen to the Han Solo movie. At this point, Lucasfilm doesn't seem to think that the problems will delay the film's release, which is still set for May of 2018.
    After hearing more reports of problems all around with this movie, I wouldn't mind if the film gets moved back to 2019. Shooting is suppose to be done in July, but with reshoots they might need to finish in September so that doesn't give too much time to get everything finished. D23 I hope we find out more news about this, keeping the date, maybe a teaser trailer, but the legs on the Chair is starting wobble this isn't good at all. I need Ron Howard at D23 to speak and say hey calm down guys, were fine and here's a teaser trailer, even a few stills which would do alot for the fans like myself who have interest to see this film.
    Last edited by Sadio HoHo; 06-30-2017 at 12:30 AM.

Real Women of Genius

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Star Wars Anthology: Han Solo (2018)

I don't understand how the "legs on the chair is starting to wobble" when the end of the article explicitly states that Lucasfilm doesn't seem to think it will have to delay the release. They're bringing in Howard to oversee the final shots and editing, he's not redoing the entire movie. A "fan like yourself" should simply try having a little faith dude.

As far as the acting coach goes, they most likely brought her in to ensure Ehrenreich's delivery and mannerisms matched those of Ford's. I wouldn't imagine that's too uncommon when actors are playing younger versions of previously established older characters. Wouldn't be shocked if I learned that Ewen McGregor did the same thing for the prequel trilogy.

Currently enjoying a plate of Pulpo Gallego via Tapastalk.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five WWE Superstars~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Sangre por Sangre

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    I don't understand how the "legs on the chair is starting to wobble" when the end of the article explicitly states that Lucasfilm doesn't seem to think it will have to delay the release. They're bringing in Howard to oversee the final shots and editing, he's not redoing the entire movie. A "fan like yourself" should simply try having a little faith dude.

As far as the acting coach goes, they most likely brought her in to ensure Ehrenreich's delivery and mannerisms matched those of Ford's. I wouldn't imagine that's too uncommon when actors are playing younger versions of previously established older characters. Wouldn't be shocked if I learned that Ewen McGregor did the same thing for the prequel trilogy.

This is just one report Fuji I have other reports on problems with this Movie right now. You don't hire a Acting Coach this late in the game, you do it before production even starts. I want them to give us a great movie, I have faith, but hearing news like this doesn't raise it.

Real Women of Genius

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

I'm not worried. I've taken a very zen approach to this and decided that Force Awakens and Rogue One delivered so much for me that I have no right to get upset if this ends up being shit... which I'm confident it won't, so I'm not gonna get stressed about it. It might be a mis-step in the franchise but I forgave them for serving up a movie as appetising an aborted fetus on a plate when they gave me Attack of the Clones, I think I'll get over Han's Solo Flick being below par.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    This is just one report Fuji I have other reports on problems with this Movie right now. You don't hire a Acting Coach this late in the game, you do it before production even starts. I want them to give us a great movie, I have faith, but hearing news like this doesn't raise it.
    Huh? How are they supposed to know they're going to need one before the movie starts? You're making this ridiculous non-story into something way bigger than it needs to be. I'd also like to know what "this late in the game" implies considering the article makes it seem like it happened months ago.

I have a suggestion dude, stop reading your bullshit reports and take RaiZ's zen approach.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

​​​

Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Sangre por Sangre

Status

Full trailer drops tomorrow. Thank goodness they dropped the Teaser during the SB, because fuck it's a only few months before the Movie coming out and they didn't really give us anything to get hype for leading to this.

Well I wasn't a big fan like I said of Solo in the Star Wars franchise, but this Trailer got me really interested to see this. I was down on it for months not getting any kind of material to get hype for it, and they did their job with this Trailer to bring people back to see this. I mean we got a young Han that came off like Solo, Emilia Clarke and a young Chewy oh yes.
    Last edited by Sadio HoHo; 02-05-2018 at 12:55 PM.

Real Women of Genius

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

I'm gonna see this regardless but the trailer did nothing for me really.

Sangre por Sangre

Status

I hope this gets into Solo dealing with Bounty Hunters and I think we see a group of them, around the shot with Han about to pull out his gun. What if we see Boba Fett in this or timeline wise where does this fit into the Star Wars lore from Episode 3 to 4? Can we say Solo is in his mid 20's and I imagine Boba would be around the same age maybe a little bit older? I'm saying that because he's a Teenager at the end of the Attack of the Clones film and it's a few years right from Episode 2 and 3? Yeah Boba should be right for this.

Real Women of Genius

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    I'm gonna see this regardless but the trailer did nothing for me really.
    I feel the same way. I mean, it's Star Wars related so there's no chance I won't be there on opening day but I'm hardly hyped at all. I honestly think I'm just sick of trailers in general as I've lately been going out of my way to actively avoid them, at least where big budget movies are concerned. I find the movies are much more enjoyable when I haven't been bombarded with clips of them for the past several months before I sit down to watch them.

Yeah Boba should be right for this.
    I'd rather that overrated piece of shit not waste screen time in this movie but I can't imagine them passing up the chance to include him. It'd be much better if they focused on cooler characters like Bossk, Dengar and IG-88 but I'm not holding my breath on those. Then again, it's feasible that this is just Solo's origin story and therefore wouldn't waste time on his eventual problems with Jabba since those would have to happen later than the events that seem to be taking place here.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

​​​

Sangre por Sangre

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    I feel the same way. I mean, it's Star Wars related so there's no chance I won't be there on opening day but I'm hardly hyped at all. I honestly think I'm just sick of trailers in general as I've lately been going out of my way to actively avoid them, at least where big budget movies are concerned. I find the movies are much more enjoyable when I haven't been bombarded with clips of them for the past several months before I sit down to watch them.

I'd rather that overrated piece of shit not waste screen time in this movie but I can't imagine them passing up the chance to include him. It'd be much better if they focused on cooler characters like Bossk, Dengar and IG-88 but I'm not holding my breath on those. Then again, it's feasible that this is just Solo's origin story and therefore wouldn't waste time on his eventual problems with Jabba since those would have to happen later than the events that seem to be taking place here.
    Well Boba rolled with Bossk after the events of Clone Wars and his Dad/himself being killed by Mace Windu. They even went to to the point where Boba and his gang of buddies aboard the Republic vessel Endurance and Boba doing some Metal Gear Solid type of shit posing as a Cadet and trying to kill Windu. I wouldn't be shocked to see maybe not Jabba and Boba being involved in this film, but referenced at some point for the next one because I can see them trying to get two more films from this.

Real Women of Genius

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

I wouldn't be shocked to see maybe not Jabba and Boba being involved in this film, but referenced at some point for the next one because I can see them trying to get two more films from this.
    Christ, I hope not. First of all, it kind of defeats the purpose of an anthology film if they're just going to spin it off into another trilogy. Second, with Johnson's new trilogy, Episode IX, the proposed Kenobi movie, the live action television show that's coming for the Disney network and the just announced Benioff/Weiss trilogy it's just way too much Star Wars. I know they're not going to stop milking the name for all it's worth but the more they over-saturate the market the more they'll make each successive film feel less important and less must-see.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

​​​

Thread Information