Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Star Wars Anthology: Han Solo (2018)

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: Star Wars Anthology: Han Solo (2018)

In some positive news, it appears that the review embargo for this movie is going to be lifted on May 15th, a full 10 days before its wide release. That's a really good sign that Disney feels it's at the very least a solid picture.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Pixar Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

I Want It All!

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

What Joey Janela the bad boy is to Wrestling I'm the self proclaimed bad boy of finding things I should never find.

Spoiler:

I gotta be honest here folks, remember I said I really wasn't looking forward to seeing this film well I actually had alot of fun during the watching of this film. I thought Alden Ehrenreich did a great job at playing Han, their were some moments where if felt like Han, and other moments fell flat to me. I say his arrogance and cockiness came off strong for him, and I dig the progressing of how he was an idiot who thought he knew alot, but he found out rather quickly he knew shit. By the end of the film, through hanging out with Beckett, his dealings with Dryden Vos he became a character that we remember in the later films. It's pretty crazy that the first time Chewy and Han met, Chewy was going to eat him and instead Han knowing his language saved his life go figure.

When Han and Chewy rolled with Beckett for the first time, I thought okay these guys are going to kick ass as a team and everything went to shit with Beckett losing his main squeeze and his Pilot during this same run. To be honest their deaths should of hit him harder especially Val who was his GF, but I guess they all knew in this kind of work their is a risk that it might be your last. Eventually we met Lando and to me Lando seems to be a guy, who just loves to have fun especially in his sex life. When you meet Lando they have their legendary card game that people talk about, and I was like okay Han is going to win easy and then we get the shocker of Han losing due to Lando cheating. They all have to make a run for some damn fuel for Vos, or they'll be killed and the set pieces not just before this, but the whole film were great and it got better to me as the film went on.

For the longest time I thought Han is going to be betrayed by Qi'ra, and it was Beckett who told him never trust anyone and you'll survive in this world. I'm glad Han woke up and shot first hehe, not even giving Beckett the chance to talk shit to him which shows how much he learned from the moment he met him, now that very moment in the film. Qi'ra played by Emilia Clarke was good, but I could feel they capped her scenes along with Lando who owned the scenes he was in, in his own right. I HAD A WHAT THE FUCK moment when Darth Maul was revealed to be working with Vos and Qi'ra and it makes sense considering if you've seen the Animated work like Clone Wars or Rebels Maul is still alive and well. Wouldn't it be amazing if Qi'ra was Maul's apprentice and they spin that in a future film, because you would imagine their is a sequel going to happen seeing as though Han is going to meet up with Jabba. Can we get a Obi-Wan Old Man Logan style film first before that though please!?

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Status
      Country                    United States

Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $83,325,000 56.2%
    + Foreign: $65,000,000 43.8%
    = Worldwide: $148,325,000
    With a 250 million dollar budget this movie really fell short.

I Want It All!

Status

Well we knew or had a feeling the numbers would be lower going into the first three day compared to the last two Star Wars film, but I think this film will make solid numbers for the next few weeks till the Incredibles 2 comes out in Theaters.

Real Women of Genius

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Necro View Post
    With a 250 million dollar budget this movie really fell short.
    1. You haven't factored in today's holiday box office numbers.

2. It's pretty depressing that a movie making nearly $150 million in its opening weekend "fell short". It's going to make its money back, it's just not going to be a monster at the box office.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo
    Well we knew or had a feeling the numbers would be lower going into the first three day compared to the last two Star Wars films
    Of course, particularly when you consider a few factors like over-saturation, stiff competition from Infinity War/Deadpool and people like you that watched the cam version instead of paying money to see it.

I really enjoyed this movie for what it was although I wouldn't say it was great or anything. There were certain elements I liked a lot as well as a few that I felt were unnecessary but overall it did a good job of creating a story that I was concerned wouldn't come across well on the big screen. The most important thing is that, like Rogue One, it felt removed enough from the overall Star Wars universe to be its own movie even though it still retained the core elements and themes. Amazingly, I'm actually looking forward to a sequel to this because they've certainly left the door open to explore the next ten years of Solo's life leading up to A New Hope.

I won't get into more discussion until a few other people have seen this but I do want to leave this post I made back in February here because I was pretty proud of my prescience as I was leaving the theater...

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice
    Eh, who knows? There's a myriad of places this movie can end without having to tell another story to get Han to the point he's at in A New Hope. Maybe he's just about to meet with Jabba about the shipment that he ends up ditching? I'm pretty sure the final shot will be from behind Han and Chewie's backs in the falcon cockpit as it goes to hyperspeed since that just makes sense.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

​​​

Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

[Rock Me Amadeus]

Status
      Country                    Germany

With the new Jurassic World out next week too, it's fall off is probably gonna be quite steep too.

The move from an empty December to a packed summer period was always gonna have a knock on effect. As Fuji said though, it may have fallen short of "expectations" but it certainly won't be a flop. Over here, it's got a combination of bank holiday/half term to work with and younger viewers won't be seeing Deadpool 2 so it should still do pretty well.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

I Want It All!

Status

I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts Fuji, especially with a certain Scene towards the end of the film buddy.

Real Women of Genius

The Bastard of Bolton

Status

So truthfully before i watched this. I really had little interest in this film. I didn't really see the need for it and tbh I just didn't like what I'd seen. However on seeing it today I was pleasantly surprised by the film. Genuinely enjoyed the film a lot. Thought the cast was very good as well.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

So, when Force Awakens happened me and my friend Luke started a tradition; opening night, midnight showing, anything Star Wars related, we go! Did it for TFA, Rogue One and Last Jedi... but he fucked off Stateside for two weeks, with the opening of this falling just before he came back and honestly, I don't think there were midnight showings for it anyway.

We went this Monday just gone and I went in with zero expectations. He says he did as well, but he was running up the escalator to the cinema with a big grin on his face like a kid excited to open his presents, so I think he built himself up a bit too much for it; he came out angry and bored whereas I came out feeling it did more than the trailers made me think it would, so satisfied. It's not what I'd call a good film but I don't hate it and it's certainly better than the prequels (which I own on Blu-ray) so obviously I'll be buying this when it comes out on home release. It's fucking long though. Like a good half an hour too long, but thankfully the film gets better as it goes on, so it's the opening you're bored during, not the ending - as long as you can keep yourself interested until Lando shows up, you should be okay; because everything before that is basically laying story pipe to go back to later or pointless.

There's potential for a sequel but I'm not sure I would go for it if I were Lucasfilm. Or at least, not in a direct manner. Maybe do Lando: A Star Wars Story or tie it in with the Boba Fett stand alone. Basically do a crime syndicate trilogy, with smuggling and bounty hunters and have Han and Chewie in all of them but make them part of the ensemble - this looks like an ensemble but all the story beats are very much Han's and it's very much his story (of course - it's in the title) and while them showing up in Lando and/or Fett's movie's might be jarring, done right they could be worthwhile additions to those films and we get to see what happens next...

Then again, there's the potential for at least two other, non-Han related stories coming out of this film as well, so who knows how Disney and Lucasfilm decide to go forward from here.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

You wouldn’t call this a good film but you loved Black Panther enough to laud it as one of the best MCU movies you’ve ever seen? Your opinion is officially void.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

​​​

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    You wouldn’t call this a good film but you loved Black Panther enough to laud it as one of the best MCU movies you’ve ever seen? Your opinion is officially void.
    Are you confusing me with someone else? I don't remember ever saying Black Panther was that good. I even went back to the thread and my initial "review" of the film there to check if I gushed on seeing it originally and I actually said it wouldn't crack my top five MCU films but it might improve on re-watch, it does improve but it's still not top five.

I'm also not saying this is bad. It's middling. It is what it is. Saying something might not be good doesn't automatically make it the worst thing ever, just like saying something is good (Black Panther for instance) doesn't automatically make it the best thing ever.

Cult of Fuji

Status
      Country                    us=United States

I actually Liked this alot. I feel it's up there with Rogue One almost.

Lando was the best character in the whole movie imo.

It was also great seeing Darth maul.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TEAM CYRUS

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by JT Grizzle View Post
    Are you confusing me with someone else? I don't remember ever saying Black Panther was that good. I even went back to the thread and my initial "review" of the film there to check if I gushed on seeing it originally and I actually said it wouldn't crack my top five MCU films but it might improve on re-watch, it does improve but it's still not top five.
    Apologies there, I must have been confusing you with someone else but to be honest it was simply me continuing my Black Panther hate gimmick. In retrospect I suppose I should have put an at the end of that post so it didn't come across so harsh.

I'm also not saying this is bad. It's middling. It is what it is. Saying something might not be good doesn't automatically make it the worst thing ever, just like saying something is good (Black Panther for instance) doesn't automatically make it the best thing ever.
    I'm busy until Saturday but I am planning on re-opening FujiFilm 2 to give this movie a proper review so until then I'll just post some quick thoughts. It's more than middling, it's a good (not great) movie that turned out way better than I expected simply based on all the turmoil that went on during the production. Alden and Glover were excellent, Bettany played a solid (if somewhat underused) bad guy, Woody was Woody (never a bad thing) and Enfys Nest is not only a great character, she's damn hot as well. My only real complaint was Emilia Clarke as I felt she somewhat underwhelmed in her role, though I did like the character.

All in all I'd comfortably rank this higher than any of the prequel trilogy so to me that means it's a winner. Unfortunately the lack of box office may mean we don't get another one, which is really too bad as they set up a sequel nicely. I'd be alright if Han and Chewie showed up in the Boba Fett movie though. At least it may take away some of the sting of watching that idiotic character in his own movie.

I feel it's up there with Rogue One almost.
    At the very least it means that they're 2 for 2 where the stand alone films are concerned. That makes me feel better about the rest of these projects going forward.
    Last edited by Fuji Vice; 06-13-2018 at 10:21 AM.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

​​​

Thread Information