Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NJPW The New Beginning - February 5th/11th 2017

FUCK FACE

Status
      Country                    England

Re: NJPW The New Beginning - February 5th/11th 2017

Big Dave likes what he likes. It's just funny to me more than anything. I thought his rating of Nikki Vs Natalya was way more generous if we wanna talk recent Meltzer ratings.

Double-edge sword on the Takahashi/Lee match, you don't want to see that many dangerous spots in a match but at the same time I think they'd be short-changing the native fans if they didn't deliver the kind of crazy matches that got both men over in Mexico. I for sure don't wanna see those top rope diving sentons onto the guardrail anymore by Takahashi.

I just hope the multiple finishers kick outs issue is treated with consistency, can't complain about one company doing it and then give the other company a pass for doing it in their main events too. I do think it's a growing problem in New Japan that is another example of them playing up to Western fans.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Meltzer having a preference is perfectly fine. Like Ed I just find it funny more than anything

As for Lee/Takahasi its hard to disagree with the fact that both men did some really dangerous stuff, as a fan yeah it was entertaining as hell and I guess both guys are young enough to get away with it right now but in 5-10 years time it's gonna catch up with them, especially Takahashi. At least with Taguchi he can take it a lil easier.

Status
      Country                    United States

Whether it's a good, bad, or funny reaction, Meltzer always seems to get a reaction from people. Wrestling is subjective, and just like any fan, his opinion is his own. I don't see the point in getting riled up over his ratings in any format.

Both Elgin/Naito & Okada/Suzuki felt like they ran too long. But at the same time, even with my criticisms, I like that they went longer. For me it adds that extra layer that not only gives the match a big fight feel, but builds up whatever the finish is even more. If I want singles matches under 20 minutes, I'll watch a WWE ppv.

I don't mind the false finishes when they do it a certain way. They used to protect their finishers more. But as you said Ed, they're playing to a Western audience more. Wrestling fans in Japan have changed a lot in their own right, adapting a noisier/western approach.

POWERFUL
    RANGERS
    Zero/Silk/Shake
    BlackTiger/HoHo/
    Rogue

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I enjoy Naito/Elgin alot. Maybe too much false finishing but felt that alot of it gave the match some drama. I think with finisher spam, it really depends on the match it's used in. As well as how often they occur. From a kayfabe standpoint, I'm alright with Naito being able to kick out of the punishment he took -- because he's one of the select few to survive the devastating Rainmaker. So I kind of feel like if he's got the will to kick out of that then he can kick out of more punishment from Elgin. If they keep doing it in future then yeah it'll be an issue but I don't see it being a common occurence. I do think the false finishes helped the drama of the match too as I was kind of thinking Naito was an easy winner but wasn't sure as the match went on. I guess that's the one difference that stands out to me, atleast, when it comes to comparing this with WWE. I feel like I don't get convinced enough by the oversaturated false finishes in WWE -- and that's cause they already happen too often. I'll end up feeling the same if it happens often in NJPW.

As for Meltzer, too many people have him on a pedestal and care too much about his opinion. The Tokyo Dome meme is pretty funny but so inaccurate - he's barely given any Tokyo Dome matches the 5 star treatment. But yes Meltzer is definitely a big big fan of puro and it's clearly the type of wrestling he prefers/enjoys more. Star ratings are ultimately meaningless. It's also silly, in my eyes, to compare matches from different promotions. What's five stars in a NJPW ring might not translate as five stars in WWE and vice versa. Both may be wrestling matches but they won't feel or be the same.

The main event matches are just structured way differently and feel closer to a proper tactical battle for me so I don't have a problem with the length. I usually get the feeling that both guys know they're in for a long match so they don't go full pelt to start off to conserve energy and whatnot.

NJPW are definitely starting to cater to the Western audience but they're not sacrificing their identity completely yet to try and break into the mainstream WWE audience. The action's still enjoyable, the promos are relatively straightforward and the storylines are still easy to follow, it still feels like a pseudo sport rather than 'sports entertainment' - at least at the top of the card and in the 'important' feuds anyway.

I don't view Okada as similar to Reigns/Cena. I wasn't watching when he came back and was being pushed as the Rainmaker but he clearly won people over. I don't think he's near super Cena levels yet. I feel like there's a big difference in how LOLCENAWINS would happen compared to how LOLOKADAWINS happens.

Overall, I enjoyed both events. Had their good matches and their skippable ones. Okada/Suzuki, Lee/Takahashi, Ospreay/Shibata and Naito/Elgin were my favourite bunch of matches. The NJ Cup is set up nicely and I have no idea who could win it - I hope KUSHIDA is a surprise entrant but I'm going to assume he won't be. Eight shows for the tournament is pretty big though, was only three last year if I remember right. SANADA, Shibata, Omega and Tanahashi are probably going to be involved though and I think one of those four will win. Could see Tanahashi winning and challenging Naito.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

FUCK FACE

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by PowerfulShake View Post
    The Tokyo Dome meme is pretty funny but so inaccurate - he's barely given any Tokyo Dome matches the 5 star treatment.
    tbf it's a modern meme because he's awarded at least one 5 star match in each of the last three Wrestlekingdoms (Ibushi/Nakamura, Tanahashi/Okada, Omega/Okada)

Status
      Country                    United States

Okada is not comparable to Cena or Reigns for me. He's had a lot of success, but I feel like he's worked really hard to be in the spot he's in and stay there. I think most of the Japanese fans genuinely like him, he consistently has good to great matches, and in interviews he stands pretty firmly against WWE.

As Shake pointed out, if the false finish thing is over done it'll ruin the effect. But there were genuinely moments in both Okada/Suzuki and Elgin/Naito where I thought both men were gonna win. When it's used sparingly but done right I think it's fine.

I definitely don't see Tanahashi winning the cup. Although I would be okay with that outcome.

POWERFUL
    RANGERS
    Zero/Silk/Shake
    BlackTiger/HoHo/
    Rogue

Thread Information