Thread: Old school shows on UFC Fight Pass

American Ninja

Status
      Country                    United States

Old school shows on UFC Fight Pass

Man they have loaded a ton of great old shit to the UFC fight pass over the past year or so, all kinds of classic Pancrase, Hook N' Shoot, Extreme Challenge, and this morning I just discovered a bunch of Japanese Shooto shows going back to the 1994 Vale Tudo Japan tournament. I watched a random Extreme Challenge show from like 2001 recently that featured Matt Hughes, Rich Franklin, a young Robbie Lawler(looked every bit of maybe 16 years old, his 3rd MMA fight), and a tag team submission match between Pat Miletich & Jeremy Horn vs Tim Sylvia & some guy who's name I forgot, all of this takes place in a small bar type venue in front of maybe 200 people. Really interesting show, it's Extreme Challenge 41 if you want to check it out, the opening music features a blatant copyright infringement as they use Undertaker's Ministry of Darkness theme without shame.

I figured I'd start a thread to post my thoughts as I watch these old shows, feel free to post any thoughts or recommendations here.

Right now I'm watching Vale Tudo Japan 94 featuring Rickson Gracie. I have Vale Tudo Japan '95 on VHS tape from way back in the day. I never seen the 94 show, very interesting shit.

American Ninja

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Old school shows on UFC Fight Pass

Some great shit on the Fight Pass right now, all kinds of Pancrase and Shooto. I caught two of these shows recently. Since I'm rewatching through my Pride collection, I'm up to Pride 6 which was in July 1999, I had a long winded review of the show almost done but I lost it because I forgot to save it. So I decided to check out the Pancrase and Shooto shows from this period, starting with Pancrase: Breakthrough 7 from July 6th 1999 at the Korakuen Hall, just 2 days after Pride 6. Pancrase's prime years I believe was when Suzuki, Funaki, Rutten, and the Shamrock brothers were on top fighting each other from 1994 to 1996. By 1999 those guys were long gone, Suzuki and Funaki were always the main attractions but they had gotten old by this point and had lost several matches. By Summer of 1999 the big names in Pancrase were Yuki Kondo and Semmy Schilt. This show was not all that great but it was interesting. Sanae Kikuta fights in the opener, he's a guy I know of because he fought in Pride pretty regularly, usually in really boring fights.

One of the more interesting fights is Chris Lytle vs Jason Delucia, Lytle is really young, Delucia is a veteran of the first 2 UFC shows that actually had some success in Pancrase. Delucia wins a decision here but I felt like Lytle probably should have won. Not that great of a fight but I was surprised to see this matchup on this card. Yuki Kondo is the King of Pancrase with that awesome belt on this show, he takes on Daisuke Watanabe and drops him quickly with open palm strikes to the face during a pretty heated exchange. The fights on this show were all under classic Pancrase rules, which means no gloves, no closed fist strikes to the head and no strikes to the head on the ground period. I believe they had outlawed the heel hooks by this point due to so many injuries(all fighters were made to wear boots and shin pads). They used rope breaks and 10 counts for knockdowns, once you used so many rope breaks or were knocked down so many times within a round it was over for a TKO. There was one fight that was fought under regular MMA rules with the fingerless gloves and punches to the face. I'm not familiar with either fighter in that fight but it was a decent fight.

There was a really long intermission where they introduced the fighters for the Neo Blood Tournament. All the fighters came out and drew random numbers Royal Rumble style, I'm assuming to decide the seeding to the tournament. After the end of all that there is a really hokey staged pull apart between two of the fighters. The main event is Semmy Schilt taking out Osami Shibuya with a rear naked choke. Schilt was like almost 7 feet tall and towered over Shibuya but Shibuya fought him well, surviving some pretty damn hard knees to the face in the clinch.

And earlier tonight I caught Shooto: Renaxis 2 from the same building, the Korakeun Hall just ten days later on July 16th 1999. This show really didn't have much going for it at all. I didn't recognize any of the fighters except for Hayato Sakurai, who was the ace of the promotion for a long time. Shooto used the 10 count for knockdowns, I found that interesting. Otherwise they used the standard rules for MMA as opposed to the shoot wrestling style rules of Pancrase. None of these fights were really good or noteworthy but the production values and video packages, camera angles etc seemed better than the Pancrase show. Sakurai was a real stud at this point, undefeated I believe, he finishes his opponent with a pretty great armbar in just 37 seconds.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 02-25-2017 at 11:05 PM.

Thread Information