Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Dudley Town Chronicles

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Re: The Dudley Town Chronicles

2022/23 Season Review

The fast-rising Robins began their first professional season after over 100 years as a club. The club got off to a flying start in their League Two campaign, winning seven of their first nine games, they quickly cooled off though, losing seven of the next eight. The club was unable to find any consistent form, formation, or even a starting XI. Petersen experimented with his usual 4-4-2, switched to a 4-2-3-1 Wide, then to a 4-4-1-1, the team finally ended utilizing a 4-1-4-1. The club managed to go on a bit of a run after the final switch, and finished a comfortable 10th position in League Two. No stranger to cup success are Petersen's men, but it certainly wasn't on the cards this year. The team went crashing out of the FA Cup in the first round in an embarassing 4-0 dismantling at the hands of fellow League Two team Shrewsbury Town. The team managed to beat Reading in the first round of the EFL Cup, but then lost to Premier League outfit Middlesbrough in the second round. The EFL Trophy had a little more success but no Trophies were in store for the club, as they went out to eventual champions Southampton U23s in the third round.

For only the second year since Petersen took over, Harry Pratt was not the leading goalscorer for the Duds. On loan striker Ahmed Adeniyi led the line after taking the loan striker duties, netting 26 goals in total 20 of those coming in the league. Club Legend Harry Pratt did come in second, netting 16 total goals, 15 in the league. New signing Axel Bakayoko led the team in assists, providing 13 assists in total, 11 in the league. Liam Miller came in second with 10 assists, with 9 of them coming in the league. Another new signing, Adrian Falck-Sandnes led the leam in appearances, 54 of them in total, and appeared in all 46 of the league games during the year. Right back Liam Smith made 53 total appearances, only missing one league totaling 45 for the year, Nicolai Damkjær also made 53 appearances in total, also only missing one league game. New Goalkeepers Ryan Galbraith and Tomas Enchague shared in their duties, Galbraith took the majority of games, making 39 appearances and keeping 7 clean sheets. Echague made 15 appearances, only one of them resulting in a clean sheet.

Fan's Player of the Year: Liam Miller

Dudley's Best XI:

Dudley's attendance rose once again, this time a whole 5,097 attended on average, they also drew 10,926 to their EFL Cup match against Middlesbrough. Due to the great attendance the club was also happy to announce that they'd be making huge improvements to the training and youth facilities. Another year in League Two awaits these Dudley boys, we'll see what improvements the new season will bring, and how the club will fare in their brand new stadium.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status
      Country                    Canada

Considering you were 4 points away from playoffs i dont think theres any doubt youll be getting it next season.

Recebtly got back into FM and I am complete trash. Got fired from both a Southampton and OGC Nice job. Not sure what happened.

Russo Knows Best!

Status

Can't believe you spelt Liam's name wrong! AAAAAAR!
    The BTB Section Only Improves If We All Improve Together.
    I am willing to review your work as much as I can and if you ask nicely I will even make graphics for you. Be The Booker 4 Life!

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Millar View Post
    Can't believe you spelt Liam's name wrong! AAAAAAR!
    Can't believe with all of the writing I've done, you'd only have this worthless fucking comment, but here we are.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Dudley Stadium opens as Dudley survive Railwaymen barrage.

Russo Knows Best!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by GIROOOOUUD!!! View Post
    Can't believe with all of the writing I've done, you'd only have this worthless fucking comment, but here we are.
    mistake of a lifetime my friend. its a great project don't get me wrong.
    The BTB Section Only Improves If We All Improve Together.
    I am willing to review your work as much as I can and if you ask nicely I will even make graphics for you. Be The Booker 4 Life!

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    UK

I wasn't expecting another promotion in this season, but to get that close to the play offs is a big achievement. It's great to see that some of the players who were with you right at the start are still there and performing well in the higher divisions. I enjoy this project a lot so keep going mate.

Poor Burton, after their heroic run up the leagues and now they're out of the football league.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Australia

How do you manage to keep playing, even though you don't update this straight after each game. Enjoying this very much.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Legend View Post
    Considering you were 4 points away from playoffs i dont think theres any doubt youll be getting it next season.

Recebtly got back into FM and I am complete trash. Got fired from both a Southampton and OGC Nice job. Not sure what happened.
    This game is so much more fickle, and so much quicker to figure out your tactics. Playoffs were almost never in the cards, We went on a nice streak at the end against the lower end of the table, but when it came time to butter the bread the team came up short.

Quote Originally Posted by TWG View Post
    I wasn't expecting another promotion in this season, but to get that close to the play offs is a big achievement. It's great to see that some of the players who were with you right at the start are still there and performing well in the higher divisions. I enjoy this project a lot so keep going mate.

Poor Burton, after their heroic run up the leagues and now they're out of the football league.
    They've now offered me their manager position 4 times in the last 400 days.

Rhys Paul is listed as a "good player for National League North/South" and Harry Pratt as a "decent player for National League" Brandon Barzey is the same as Pratt. When club finances permit, they'll hopefully be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Declandimi101 View Post
    How do you manage to keep playing, even though you don't update this straight after each game. Enjoying this very much.
    I don't understand your question.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

2023/24 Season Review

A fresh new season was led by some exciting signings for Dudley, the team brought in 19-year old Joel Burke, a midfielder formerly at Manchester City, Gareth Shackleton, an 18-year old right back formerly of Manchester United, and Alex Bangura, a 24-year old winger released by Feyenoord. Last years offensive catalyst Axel Bakayoko ended up departing for Portsmouth for £350k, and last years back up goalkeeper Tomas Echague went to Exeter for £45.5k. After which the club broke it's transfer record bringing in former Bayern Munich defender Jan Kirchhoff from Hannover. Petersen claimed that the team lacked a veteran presence outside of Rhys Paul and that Kirchhoff would be a great leader for the team on and off the pitch. The club started off their second League Two voyage fairly well, winning their first match away at recently-relegated Northampton, then won the first competitive match at their new ground Dudley Stadium against Crewe. The club faired well until Novemember, when the club hit a rough patch, culminating in their season defining moment. Handed an easy draw against National League outfit Morecambe in the FA Cup the club was looking forward to progress, however they suffered a humiliating 4-2 defeat which led to some changes at the club. Former Player of the Year Liam Millar was demoted to the U23's, and fined two week's wages for poor performances after having gone nearly 20 hours with a goal. Starting right-back Gareth Shackleton was demoted to the U23's, fined one week's wages, and eventually sent out on loan to Torquay. Centre-back pairing Conor Hemmings and Goran Terziev were both demoted and fined two weeks wages with Hemmings eventually going out on loan to Gateshead. Antoine Renouf, a man who had recently taken the starting left back position from long-time starter Brandon Barzey wad demoted, fined, and eventually sold to QPR for £250k in the January window. In replacement Danish centre-back Frederik Nelson was signed on a free, Italian centre-back Niccolo Avellino was signed on a free, and Danish left back Jakob Ahlmann was added in January after the departure of Antonie Renouf. A few more players joined the fined crew, but weren't demoted, the squad morale ended up at an all-time low leading to a Team Meeting on 23rd November, after a loss to Doncaster knocked them out of the EFL Trophy. Long-time club captain Rhys Paul and his second Dave Cowan brought Petersen into the locker room and many of the players expressed their discontent saying that they were hoping for some changes. An outraged Petersen told them that January was a mere 39 days away and if they were chomping at the bit for changes they could shape up and change themselves or he'd have no problem finding players who wanted to stay with Dudley. A risky tell, but it ended up paying huge dividends. Harry Pratt was re-installed as the lead striker and the club didn't lose another game until 3rd March, an amazing 18 straight games. The club finished comfortable champions of the EFL League Two, and will celebrate new beginnings in the League One next year. The club's cup runs didn't go well this year, they were knocked out in the group stage of the EFL Trophy, lost in round one of the FA Cup to Morecambe, and fell in the first round of the EFL Cup to Plymouth. Success was not in the cards for this years cup runs.

After taking a year off, Club Legend Harry Pratt was once again top of the pops for the Duds. Pratt netted a league-leading 33 goals for Dudley, however he failed to find the net in any other competition. No other goalscorer came close Pratt, with winger Alex Bangura coming in second, netting 12 goals, all of them in the league. Bangura did lead the club in assists with 19, all of them coming in the league, and Pratt was second in assists, 14 of them coming in the league. Thibaud Verlinden ended up appearing the most for the club, 51 times in total, 45 of those appearances in the league. Next up was none other than everyone's favorite Harry Pratt managing 46 appearances in total, 42 of them coming in the league. Ryan Galbraith spent much of the year hung up on the Physio table, but still managed to start in 31 games, 25 of them coming in the league, getting a total of 16 clean sheets, 13 of those in the league. The club took Robbie Blenkinsop on loan from local club West Brom, he ended up making 25 total appearances, 23 of them in the league, and totalling 10 clean sheets, all of them in the league. Together with the excellent defense the club managed to only give up 36 goals the entire year, 7 less than Tranmere, with the second least. Harry Pratt was again named Player of the Year in the Sky Bet League 2, making it the fourth overall time, and fourth division he has recieved Player of the Year honors in. Alex Bangura and Harry Pratt shared in League 2 Team of the Year honors. The club however did receive some bad news, Harry Pratt will miss the rest of 2024 due to torn ligaments in his right leg.

Fan's Player of the Year: Alex Bangura

Dudley's Yearly Best XI:

The club opened the new Dudley Stadium this year, and managed 15 sellouts. The new stadium was well-attended being 97% full for the course of the year. As the fan base grew, the need for an outlet was created, last year's groundshare led the supporter's to Walsall. As Walsall was struggling in the Championship, Dudley fans were seen cheering on their losses. Walsall fans took it as obnoxious more than a rivalry until the final day, having secured the League Two title, Dudley boss Michael Petersen was seen amongst the QPR supporters while Walsall fought to stave off relegation, a win meant survival, a loss meant relegation. QPR scored what proved to be the game-winning goal in the 88th minute and Petersen was seen celebrating, then quietly leaving The Bescot after Walsall's relegation to the EFL League One was confirmed. Two teams that have never played a competitive game now have a budding rivalry due to their proximity, at least according to Dudley fans.

With the club's new foray into League One, a still-new stadium, and a growing fanbase, the club decided it was time to start fully commiting to being a professional club. The club took on a new a shirt sponsor in Hampson Industries, the company having been taken over by prominent Dudley Fan Arthur Jordan in 2018 and reviving the once near-death business in the Black Country. The club also signed an exclusive kit manufacturing deal with German-based corporation Adidas. As a result of these new sponsorships, the club were excited to announce new kits would be arriving in time for the new season. In an announcement featuring club stalwarts Harry Pratt, James Hardy, and Rhys Paul the club debuted new kits!

Home:

Secondary:

Third:

The club stuck to the usual red for their home kits, keeping their long-standing tradition, the yellow accents reflect the club's second color well, and the few black highlights hint at the club's roots in the Black Country. The yellow secondary kit replaces what was the traditional green kit in an effort to match the club's crest more closely. Red accents once again are made in reference to the crest, and black making an appearance again in reference to the club's roots. Which brings us to the third kit, a Black kit made specially for the club's home in the Black Country, while also paying homage to the club's history of green kits with green stripes. The kits were well-recieved by the fans, and sales went through the roof as they were made available 1st July 2024.

THE 559

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Been quietly following this. Another great update but out ofcuriosity … did you just fine players for playing badly??? Or was there moreto it than that?

LUCHA! LUCHA! LUCHA!

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Been quietly following this. Another great update but out ofcuriosity … did you just fine players for playing badly??? Or was there moreto it than that?
    I fined them for poor performance, indeed. FM allows you to do that.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Nice job on the promotion to League One. That's great that you can manage the players how you want to, and it was risky doing it to someone like Liam Millar, but glad that it paid off in the end. Is 18 matches unbeaten a League Two record?

THE 559

Status

I fined them for poor performance, indeed. FM allows you to do that.
    Ruthless. Looking forward to this season in particular. I think you could be in a dog-fight this time around.
    LUCHA! LUCHA! LUCHA!

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by TWG View Post
    Nice job on the promotion to League One. That's great that you can manage the players how you want to, and it was risky doing it to someone like Liam Millar, but glad that it paid off in the end. Is 18 matches unbeaten a League Two record?
    Liam Millar played horrendously over 4 games averaging a 5.2, then tried to say he didn't think he was playing that poorly. 27 is the record, set by Swindon Town.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Liam Millar played horrendously over 4 games averaging a 5.2, then tried to say he didn't think he was playing that poorly. 27 is the record, set by Swindon Town.
    Fair enough then, I'd have booted him as well 18 is a great run nonetheless. Hoping Tig is wrong in predicting the dog fight in League One. I'm going to be a bit more optimistic and go for a mid table finish.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

THE 559

Status

What why?? What happened?
    LUCHA! LUCHA! LUCHA!

THE 559

Status

God dammit I demand answers
    LUCHA! LUCHA! LUCHA!

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

2023/24 Summer Transfer Window

The club faced the prospect of a team overhaul due to promotion, and some of the players not being up to snuff in their new league. This fear of change became a reality when 8-year mainstay, and 7-year captain Rhys Paul came into Michael Petersen's office and asked if he could be allowed to leave the club. A shock transfer request to many, Paul stated that he had achieved all that he could at the club and didn't feel like he would matchup well in the new league. The club also found itself set to lose midfielder Remmell Fitton as he was not interested in signing a new contract after finding himself coming off the bench in the last season. After a very disappointing season, Liam Millar left the club for £25k to League Two outfit Carlisle United. After Rhys Paul went public with his desire to leave the club found itself with another player feeling like he had done all he could with the Duds, Left back Brandon Barzey, who joined the club from QPR in 2017 and made 275 league appearances decided he would feel better at a lower level of English Football. Both Rhys Paul and Brandon Barzey ended up joining League Two club AFC Wimbeldon for a total outlay of £200k. In a press conference after the announcement of the deal, Michael Petersen and club chairman Alistair Holden thanked Rhys Paul and offered to retire his number at the club, however Paul declined, but expressed his gratitude for Petersen's continued faith in him. He was also quick to commend youngster Dave Cowan for his leadership skills, and believed that the squad was in good hands with Petersen and Cowan. The departures wouldn't end here though, former record-signing Goran Terziev was released after Petersen relayed that he had no faith in him to improve his performances. Gareth Shackleton, part of the contingent that was demoted/fined for poor performances last year finished his loan at Torquay, and then ended up being the subject of a £250k bid from fellow West Midlands club West Brom, the teams came to terms, and Shackleton left with little fanfare. Star midfielder Joel Burke drew interest from many clubs and eventually the asking price was met, and he departed to Championship side Bournemouth for a club-record £2m. The final departure on deadline day was the man who saved their season, Italian centre back Niccolo Avellino was home sick and the subject of bids from a few clubs in Italy demanded he be allowed to go home. After many negotiations with many clubs, he was finally allowed to leave for £2m to Serie B outfit Salernitana.

With the amount of departures there were bound to be a few incoming players as well, first with Harry Pratt being out for the remainder of 2024, the club needed some help up top, and they gto two strikers, first signing former Sunderland and Manchester City striker Scott White for £120k, then just five days later announced the signing of former Wolves striker Mike Nugent on a free after Wolves allowed his contract to expire. Jordi Osei-Tutu joined on a free from League One side Rochdale to replace the departing Rhys Paul who had slotted into right-back for his final season at Dudley. The club signed centre back Jack Simpson from Everton after the trainee wasn't offered a deal to stay at the Goodison, days before the deadline with the move of Joel Burke completed, the club once again broke it's transfer record, buying 23-year old midfielder Ben Morton from Reading for £325k. The club wrapped up it's business four days before the deadline signing 24-year old Polish goalkeeper Pawel Sokol from Bournemouth for £39k to come in and compete with incumbent goalkeeper Ryan Galbraith.

Some heart-wrenching departures and some exciting new prospects ring in the new year for Dudley as they look to hopefully finish with their heads above water in the EFL League One. Everyone has October 5th circled on their calendar as it's the day that club will first face newly christened rival Walsall at Dudley Stadium. Walsall supporters are laughing it off as just another fixture on the schedule, but Robins supporters seem to have a fire about them, ready to taunt and hopefully humiliate their local rival.

Thread Information