Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Real Women of Genius

PLUS ULTRA!!

Status
    ="text-align:left">   Country                    Puerto Rico

Real Women of Genius

Yeah the title is a bite on Ring of Honor's Women of Honor segment where they have two ladies fight it out and show they are made of, but come on it's a good title I think for what I wanna do here. You know the past few days I've been thinking whether or not to do this or not, but after watching Taryn Terrell vs Mandy Leon from Women of Honor, and Io Shirai vs Mayu Iwatani from Stardom End of Year Climax I thought it was time to do this with the sport of Women's Wrestling surging the past few years. Surging not just in the major promotions like WWE, but in the Indies like Shine and Shimmer, and overseas with the ladies of Joshi in Stardom, Ice Ribbon, JWP and Wave. Once a Month I'll like to go through Women's Matches from all over the world, past or present whatever I can find. If you guys have any matches I should check out Zero, Shake or anybody else that I talk about post it here or in a pm would be fine.

I choose Kairi Hojo vs Io Shirai Stardom's 5th Anniversary 1/17/16 as my first match to talk about mainly due to it was the first match in a bunch of Stardom shows Shake and Zero had me watch and I grabbed onto. Yeah I didn't know at the time the histories on Hojo/Shirai, but I could feel the importance of this match to them and Stardom. Io Shirai is the champion going in this fight, the Ace of Stardom as people call her and she holds up to the name every match I've seen from her. I'm pretty much sure Io is the level of Ric Flair to where she could have a awesome match with a Broom. Io never holds back whether it's against her worst enemies, or her best friends as you're going to see in this match. Since day in 2010 these two ladies alongside Mayu have taken Stardom to a level today that people know they are, and want to see more of them. Theirs been rumors of course of them coming to WWE, and changing their minds, but I don't want them to leave Stardom unless they are going to be treated with the respect they deserve. Now as I talked about the champion in this match, I cannot forget Kairi Hojo. She's a Pitbull in that ring, don't let the pretty face and smile fool you she can go. She is the ultimate underdog WWE is trying with Bayley. When she gets attacked in the ring, you have so much sympathy because you believe she is pain due to her size difference of many of her opponents. I would say before watching this match, make sure you heart is healthy it's going to be put to the test in this one. With that I hope you enjoy this match, give your thoughts if you want thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Kairi HoHo; 06-02-2017 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Better title.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Re: Women of Honor

A real shame this thread has no comments. So here you go:

It's a good idea but pretty much what I offer here is going to be the same as in the Joshi thread since I don't watch enough of other women's promotions and only take few glances here and there.

Io vs Kairi is a fantastic match and definitely top ten of 2016. Really set the bar high for the year and built on Io's absolutely epic performance against Meiko Satomura in December 2015 (still my favourite Joshi match ever right now) - I would argue this match was Kairi's best performance of the year to be honest. She was super scrappy and made it a proper fight, both gave each other a beating. Kairi's flying forearm from the balcony was awesome and way better than the shitty moonsault spot that Io did against Satomura. Stardom really built on that match and got 2016 kicked off in the right way. This match is an absolute must watch and I wouldn't worry about the story too much - it's not too convoluted.

Basically, in 2015, Kairi defeated Io to win the World of Stardom title in a big upset, it was a tournament final for the vacant belt. Afterwards, Hojo had a series of matches where she eventually lost the belt to Satomura. Satomura would try to 'clean out' Stardom - she would beat Mayu in a title defense. Then Kairi would win Stardom's 5 Star Grand Prix and get a shot at the belt. But Satomura skipped over her and wanted Io to face her instead - so she'd complete taking out the big three. I'm not sure if there was real life backstage heat or booking change or whatever but it happened. Io then beat Satomura to win the belt. Kairi wanted her rightful title shot and this was the result. Io wins this match and begins her true path to being the Ace. Io can't be faulted for much during the entirety of last year really so anything with her is good.

Also on this show was the fantastic Kay Lee Ray vs Mayu Iwatani match for the High Speed Title. Definitely check that out.

A match I enjoyed watching just today was Risa Sera vs Tsukasa Fujimoto from the December 31st Ice Ribbon show. As a Sera fan, I thought she gave a strong performance. Both ladies had a match earlier in the night as they were the finalists in a tournament for the vacant ICE×∞ Championship and the semi finals and finals were that show. Feel like Fujimoto had an off night in this one but given that Risa Sera was the winner and won the belt - she had a really strong performance. It's the current ace of Ice Ribbon vs the new upcoming ace I think. Fujimoto won the belt earlier in the year by beating Risa - she'd recently vacated it after a draw with Tsukushi who she also faced in the semi finals. So Risa avenging that defeat in this match is pretty good for her. She's not quite the finished article yet but she had the stronger performance of the two. It's a good sign. She absolutely had to murder Fujimoto at the end too. Tsukka didn't have that great a performance though which was a bit of a let down. Guess I recommend that Tsukushi vs Tsukasa Fujimoto match from 23rd November too.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~HAVE A NICE DAY~~
    Spoiler:

PLUS ULTRA!!

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

I appreciate your thoughts Shake, I already have the second match I want to talk about and it was from WWE. I think I'll get more than a few views on it, besides the classic with Becky/Sasha/Charlotte from last year's Wrestlemania it stood as the best Women's match from WM in my opinion. Yeah and no it's not the Pillow fight from Wrestlemania 19

Real Women of Genius

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

Status
      Country                    United States

I really don't watch many women's matches. But ironically, I was at the very first WOH that ROH ran in Baltimore, and I was at several other tapings where they did WOH segments. She has her foot in the door with SDL right now, and I've seen a handful of her non WOH matches as well, but I like and have a mega crush on Deonna Purrazzo.

I see you two always posting about women's stuff. I'd be down to check something out if recommended to do so.

POWERFUL
    RANGERS
    Zero/Silk/Shake
    BlackTiger/HoHo/
    Rogue

PLUS ULTRA!!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BenWah View Post
    I really don't watch many women's matches. But ironically, I was at the very first WOH that ROH ran in Baltimore, and I was at several other tapings where they did WOH segments. She has her foot in the door with SDL right now, and I've seen a handful of her non WOH matches as well, but I like and have a mega crush on Deonna Purrazzo.

I see you two always posting about women's stuff. I'd be down to check something out if recommended to do so.
    Yeah I had the pleasure to see Deonna wrestle in Delaware in some Local Indy promotions here and I like her as well as a talent. Tons of potential, hopefully she keeps just getting better in the ring and gets a real contract with WWE. Yeah Shake and I really do love Women's Wrestling as a whole, check out this Joshi thread we talk all about it usually every other day.

Real Women of Genius

PLUS ULTRA!!

Status

Trish Stratus vs Mickie James[Wrestlemania 22 for the Women's Championship]

On a Raw Episode on October 10th, 2005 Mickie James made her debut as Trish Stratus's biggest fan. For years leading up to this feud, Trish Stratus was the most popular Female in the Division. Trish was a person everyone wanted to see, not just in Wrestling, but in other forms of entertainment. So when Trish met Mickie for the first time, yeah she was happy, but she was also thinking who let this girl in the back, where's Security? For me I've always been a fan of Mickie's work before her WWE days, saw on on the Indy Circuit and I was hoping she would get a WWE look, and she made after her OVW days alongside one of the best of the time in WWE. For weeks Mickie would tag with Trish Stratus wanting to be there and with Trish at every moment in time. Mickie even went to the extent to even using Trish's signature moves to win matches just to get more and more attention from Trish. After Mickie became the number one contender for Trish's Women Title on December 12th, the angle took a turn of Mickie wanting to be the only person in the life of Trish Stratus. I mean how can forget the locking of lips between the two under the Mistletoe, I still have that moment locked in my brain for future use.

Even after the loss for Mickie, Mickie will to be with Trish never stopped after she took her anger on Ashley Massaro after calling her crazy. Two no no ways to call a Woman is bitch and crazy, learn by mistakes children DON'T DO IT! By March 2006 Trish had enough of Mickie's games, and wanted to break apart from Mickie. Saturday Night's Main Event was the place Trish found out Mickie's true colors as Mickie dropped Trish vowing to end her career and take her Women's Title. Wrestlemania 22 was the place the two would finally clash with no distractions with everything on the line!

Chicago would hold Wrestlemania 22 and it's always been a great Wrestling city. Over the years, audiences have always liked heels and the people that night let Trish know they wanted Mickie take her title that night. They loved her antics not just during match, but leading up to this bout. Blowing kisses towards Trish, grabbing Trish's who ha she owned the fans that night. Early on Trish was dominate, but Mickie worked out the knee hard after Trish hit her foot on the Turnbuckle. It was good to see the champion keep fighting, but Mickie just had her number. Yeah it sucks their was a botch at the end with the finish, but the importance of this title win made Mickie James in WWE. When you beat Trish Stratus who was a 6 time Women's Champion, people are going want to see what you do next. The Stratus Faction reign ends and the psycho reign of Mickie begins!

Real Women of Genius

PLUS ULTRA!!

Status

So I'm holding back on a Joshi clash of two Joshi Legends to maybe the 30th which is my birthday or a few days before. I thought this match was one of the matches the few months that made me want to do this this if would be just for me to talk about it and see what everyone's thought on the match. Now I don't know anything about Mandy Leon, but I sure know loads about Taeler Hendrix. Yes she is a total knockout hehe see what I did there, but the girl can wrestle and do it all in the ring. For the life of me, I still don't know why TNA let this girl go. First Ivelisse and Taeler as well ugh. Maybe it had to do with Taeler looking like two different people, and acting so different as well. In TNA Taeler seemed like the girl next door, and now Taeler is the girl who you make sure you lock all your Windows at Night for lol.

As was stated before the match happened this was the first time a DQ stipulation was used for Women of Honor, and after what Taeler and Mandy did in this match, I'm not sure if they will be willing to do it fearing for injuries. You could feel Taeler wanting to end Mandy's career in ROH, and as the match went on Mandy realizes yeah I'm going to find that inner demon within myself to beat this girl. After that Table I thought it was over, and it went to even a higher level when Mandy brought out a FUCKING CHAIN! Mandy quickly found out she's not perfect and she's no Junkyard Dog as she finds herself hanging from the ropes via Taeler.

Even Deonna felt victim of Taeler when she was trying to help Mandy. Taeler at this point would of slugged her own Mother if it meant getting to destroy Mandy more during the match! Busted Lips, broken Nails, Hair loss, Chair Shots, a Ladder, spitting blood at the other this match had it all. Their was a scary spot during this match, when the Ladder fell down and nearly hit Taeler in the head, but she still sold it like it did, but it wasn't even close. If the Ladder did hit her, she would of had a more than a damn concussion. I love the end finish with Taeler begging Mandy not to hit her with the Chair and using that moment to strike her and Tombstone Piledriver Mandy to sleep. Taeler is one SICK LADY AND I MIGHT WANT TO MARRY HER!

Real Women of Genius

PLUS ULTRA!!

Status

Bull Nakano vs Aja Kong[AJW 11/14/90]

-I told you Shake this one was going to have two legendary Joshi Women battling it inside a Steel Cage. No isn't a fest of pulling hair this was a match involving two ladies who up to this point hated each other. You might wonder how it came to to be in me watching this match for the first time and that's all to Zero. It was a few years ago and he and I were talking about Joshi and I wanted to see some matches about Joshi just to get my feet wet. Zero pmed this match to me and I've been a fan of Joshi ever since then. From what I've heard and researched Aja and Bull were at one point friends and partners in a stable I believe was called Jungle Jack. Obviously over time egos get in the way and Nakano went from being a friend..no a foe and you don't want Aja Kong as your foe in anyway. It could be a death sentence for that person!

From the moment these two made eyes, the war was on and boy it's brutal. I bet in Aja's mind she was the Mother of the group they were once together, it almost was her duty to put Nakano in her place. In Nakano's mind yeah I bet she had respect for Aja, but it went all out of the window when Aja wanted to kill her lol. When I first started watching this I thought yeah both are going to bleed, both are going to make love to the Cage, but I was shocked to see weapons being used to take it that next level of insanity for a Cage Match. I mean kids we even got to see Nun-Chucks being used in this match cowabunga! I never seen two ladies unleash weapons on the other with such force that it made me want to close my eyes. I mean we even saw Scissors and I'm think Bull those are used for cutting paper and such not trying to give Aja scars for life!

Just when I thought the match was already great, Bull Nakano felt like this doing

Amazing, and my heart still stops even for a moment, but that bump from that high could legit break your Tailbone and you'll never be the same. Even with the help of Madusa it wasn't enough for Aja to take away the title that night. Still a great match, not just a Steel Cage Match I always recommend people to watch. Does anyone know the fighting at the end, it seemed maybe it had to do with a maybe some tag titles shots down the road I guess.
    Last edited by Kairi HoHo; 01-26-2017 at 12:12 AM.

Real Women of Genius

I'm Alive. That's All.

Status
      Country                    England

That's actually a fantastic match, I remember watching it for the never released best matches of 1990 list and it made my top 25 for the year.

PLUS ULTRA!!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    That's actually a fantastic match, I remember watching it for the never released best matches of 1990 list and it made my top 25 for the year.
    It did, was it a Dvd type of thing and were their any more matches from the world of Joshi? I'm asking Ed because I'm always willing to fill my brain with new matches that I haven't seen before.

Real Women of Genius

Status

Thoughts on the matches:

Trish Stratus vs Mickie James:

Never really been a fan of Mickie if I am honest with you. This event was around the time I started to fall out with wrestling and didn't enjoy it so much. I don't remember what I thought of this match when I first saw it so can't compare to now. Mickie winning seems like the right result from the promo package and stuff, builds her up nice. Reminds me of the Victoria character a little bit and I think I liked Victoria a little more too.

Of course, they begin with a lock up Trish has some stiff strikes tbh.

"Let's go Mickie!" chants are pretty funny. Especially when she's being a dirty wrestler and attacking the injured leg. I have to say though... does Trish switch up what leg she's selling? Looks that way at some points. Maybe I'm just shit at paying attention. Crowd were really into this though. Shame the botch happened. Decent match though, probably around the 3 stars range which isn't bad.

Taeler Hendrix vs Mandy Leon:

Regarding Woman of Honor - with Sumie Sakai in Stardom as well as Rossy Ogawa meeting with Delirious... we might be seeing some sort of cross promotion in future.

Taeler has big boobs but I'm more attracted to Mandy. Completely not relevant to my thoughts on the match of course.

The striking at the start kind of feels like it's too soft. This might just be because I watch too much Puro though and am too used to the stiff striking constantly. But I also feel like they're moving underwater at times so idk. Taeler's pretty weird, I like it. But not going to lie, the in ring stuff/moves just didn't grip me very much in this match. The commentary is also quite awful imo. "Sleeper on the apron... might be a bit of a choke!" Well no shit my man! The chain stuff was promising but don't really get why refs and security were out and shit, felt pointless. Crowd were annoying at times too... "SHE'S BLADING!!" fuck sake. Either that or he was shouting bleeding and I misheard. She didn't even blade anyway lol. The chair spot was kind of cool but still kind of felt flat to me. The blood spit was awesome though. Ending was so so itself. Was a weird match overall and I kind of found that it didn't really get into any sort of rhythm. Can't say I enjoyed it greatly, sorry bud.

The comments on this video are also AIDS. I shouldn't be an elitist fuck but there are some absolutely atrocious opinions stated there.

Will comment on the cage match tomorrow. Actually haven't seen it, only really checked out anything to do with Manami Toyota but being a Zenjo match, I am more than certain it will deliver. I'm sure the workrate is phenomenal as usual.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~HAVE A NICE DAY~~
    Spoiler:

Status

Crush Girls vs Jumping Bomb Angels (TLTB 87)

Everything I read about The Crush Girls is they were insanely over in Japan to levels similar to Hulk Hogan. I honestly never saw one of their matches before this one. The Jumping Bomb Angels I knew from WWF when they had a run with them. Looking it up I guess The Crush Girls also had a run, but I don't recall ever seeing them on WWF programming.

Pretty amazing to see in 87 how advanced these women were.

If you have your time, what are your thoughts on this match Hoho? or anyone for that matter.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Necro View Post
    Everything I read about The Crush Girls is they were insanely over in Japan to levels similar to Hulk Hogan. I honestly never saw one of their matches before this one. The Jumping Bomb Angels I knew from WWF when they had a run with them. Looking it up I guess The Crush Girls also had a run, but I don't recall ever seeing them on WWF programming.
    Crush Girls were just briefly brought in for just a few dates in 1986. An interesting thing about them is that on their two televised house shows (MSG and Boston) they worked one women's tag match and then the team of Bull Nakano and Dump Matsumoto worked a second one. That was extremely rare for that time period. It's a bit of a shame they weren't brought back for WM 2. It would have made the women's match far more interesting to look back to compared to what we got.

PLUS ULTRA!!

Status

First of all Necro thank you posting that match like I said I love to see matches I never seen before and go in raw with my thoughts. I would say I never seen the work of the Crush Girls, but I do remember the run with the Bomb Angels in WWE. From all the matches I saw they seem in a different league of any Women team you wanted to put against them. It's that if you want to learn the basics and the inside and outs of Wrestling go to Japan. Plenty of legends over the years have given respect to their days in Japan or overseas in general, in improving their work in the ring and their character. ^Jim that's shocking to hear that news that Bull Nakano and Dump Matsumoto worked with the company for a short time, I guess Vince didn't know what he had at the time or did the ladies thought their careers work out better back in Japan at least then?

Anyways to this match, man is this crowd in attendance loving this battle. These two teams are truly perfection in the ring, they don't need to special flips of oh my god moves to get their matches over. Their styles are elementary and could fit in with the tag teaming of today and dominate in any company together. I loved that it was back and forth with one member of the team getting a near fall and the other coming outta of no where and getting a pin fall on the other and nearly winning. The Crush Girls after seeing this match I want to research more on to see how long this feud went with the Bomb Angels. Good post here Necro, if you find any great gems like this send them here buddy.

Real Women of Genius

Status

Quote Originally Posted by HoHo View Post
    ^Jim that's shocking to hear that news that Bull Nakano and Dump Matsumoto worked with the company for a short time, I guess Vince didn't know what he had at the time or did the ladies thought their careers work out better back in Japan at least then?
    Like the Crush Girls, neither Bull nor Dump were signed by the WWE. They were just randomly brought in to work a couple of house shows in March 1986. I don't know what sort of money could be made for a woman in Japan during that time period, but I have full confidence it was more than they could make in the WWE. With Wendi Richter gone, the women's division was nothing more than part time (When the division was even around) filler until the division was brought back for good in 1998. I don't know what the real purpose was for this other than just bringing in the Crush Girls to see how they looked, but any potential deal they had to actually join the company fell through.

Even though the Jumping Bomb Angels had a proper run in the WWE, it's not as if their run lasted anything more than just a few months. Women just weren't a real attraction at the time beyond just something you'd bring out here and there, much like midget wrestling.

Moon Vulcan S-Mod

Status

I apologize for not being in here sooner, I thought this was a thread about the actual WOH in which case they're almost all not very good.

Essentially my thoughts on all this is: Americans boo, Joshi yay.

Glad you remembered the Aja/Bull cage match, certainly one of the best matches of 1990 & IMO one of Joshi's finest ever. You also have to understand the landscape of puro at the time of this match, AJW's biggest of the year, NJPW & AJPW were going through sweeping changes at the top of the card with new aces, in AJW this was a firm solidifying of who the top star was with Bull keeping herself as the dominant force of AJW.

Have you seen Tsukushi vs Tsukasa Fujimoto from November?
    Shoot Shoot Punch Punch Kick Break Your Limbs And Your Face

The soul of Billy Robinson lives on~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator LIGER FEVER)

PLUS ULTRA!!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I apologize for not being in here sooner, I thought this was a thread about the actual WOH in which case they're almost all not very good.

Essentially my thoughts on all this is: Americans boo, Joshi yay.

Glad you remembered the Aja/Bull cage match, certainly one of the best matches of 1990 & IMO one of Joshi's finest ever. You also have to understand the landscape of puro at the time of this match, AJW's biggest of the year, NJPW & AJPW were going through sweeping changes at the top of the card with new aces, in AJW this was a firm solidifying of who the top star was with Bull keeping herself as the dominant force of AJW.

Have you seen Tsukushi vs Tsukasa Fujimoto from November?
    Those two ladies are from Ice Ribbon right? Are you talking about this match from Ice Ribbon in the tournament to decide the ICEx Infinity Championship? I think both of the Semi-Finals are apart of this video

Real Women of Genius

Status

No. That was from the December 31st RibbonMania show that had the semis and the final.

The match he's speaking about is the main event ICE×∞ Championship match from the November 3rd show. It's probably the best Joshi match of 2016 and is the match that caused the tournament to happen.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~HAVE A NICE DAY~~
    Spoiler:

PLUS ULTRA!!

Status

Tsukushi vs Tsukasa Fujimoto November 3rd, 2016[Ice Ribbon]

It's a crying shame unless you had interest in this thread or in Women Wrestling you will never see this great match. Is this the first time Ribbon has ever had to vacant a title after a draw in a title match? Also is it just me, but are the Ribbon Commentating team kind of annoying? It feels like they are watching the show for the time and not really commentating on what is gone moves and such. I wish I could mute them, maybe because I'm used to it with the Stardom shows with no commentary unless for the big shows. Can someone tell me the name of the move Fujimoto did that looked at first to be a abdominal stretch then she turned into a sit out move. Also I went nuts seeing the fury of Tsukushi repeatedly lay in those double stomps to the Ribbon Champion multiple times never quitting. I would say if you want to watch Ribbon this match alone is a good starting off point to check out the company further.

Real Women of Genius

Status

I think it is. It was clearly done to set up the tournament and set up a grandstand finish to the year for RibbonMania. Though I didn't quite expect Tsukka vs Tsukushi to be the semi finals of the tournament, it should have been the final and Tsukushi should have went over. Tsukasa Fujimoto is the ace of Ice Ribbon, also a trainer there now too. I think she's reaching the point where she's passing the torch. Tsukushi, however, is quite young - she made her debut when she was 12 (she's now 19) and she's been a mainstay in Ice Ribbon ever since. Just to put that into perspective for you: Tsukushi debuted before Stardom even existed, before Mayu Iwatani and Kairi Hojo even debuted. It's pretty crazy. But I don't think she's ever going to be the new ace which is a shame. I really thought she would win the tournament but seems like Risa Sera is going to be the new ace which is fine with me - she's got a good look and will be fantastic once she gets some more experience under her belt. The big drawback on Tsukushi is that she is incredibly small - even for a Joshi - and so she's a little bit limited. Some people might find it hard to believe in her offense but she tries her best.

Funny you mention the commentators. The show is filmed with no commentary but Ice Ribbon like to have some of their girls watch the show and speak about it. The two commentators you see are actually Mio Shirai (Io's sister) who is a referee in Ice Ribbon and Tsukasa Fujimoto herself These shows aren't taped for TV, they're streamed on the Ice Ribbon nico nico (japanese streaming) channel and so they have them provide commentary so they can give insight/tell stories/keep kayfabe alive or whatever.

Timestamp the move for me and I'll tell you what it is, drawing a blank right now
    Last edited by RyuShake Taguchi; 01-28-2017 at 02:32 PM.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~HAVE A NICE DAY~~
    Spoiler:

Thread Information