Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Silk Loves Video Games (Ask Silk?)

HOSS MOD

Status

Re: Silk Loves Video Games (Ask Silk?)

I do love how Silk says she wasn't a fan of turn-based strategy yet that's all Pokémon has ever been

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    Either start with MGS1 or get Metal Gear on the NES first. Play them in release order. Avoid getting the MGS1 Gamecube remake, PS1 version is superior.

MGS1 isn't the start of the story but most people will have played that one first and worked through it, but MG1 and MG2 came out before it and are canon so up to you. But you can easily just read up on their plots and whatnot.

The story gets convoluted when you get to MGS4 but all the earlier games are relatively straightforward.
    One of the HD remakes on ps3 for MGS2 or 3(I think it's 3) has Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake included but I've never actually played them. I've never played Peace Walker either.

I remember 2 being pretty confusing at the time and 3 was a WTF before I knew it was a prequel. I kept thinking they were going to introduce time travel or something. This is all when they first came out and I was younger of course.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status
      Country                    Canada

I said that too. Pokemon is pretty soft core turn based tbh. Down the line, it starts being 'A, A, A' other pokemon has fainted, pretty much, until you get a difficulty spike or something. But there isn't much strategy too it unless you're fighting a real opponent.

I'm more into turn based now however, it has to have a special sort of feature. Child of Light was a great turn based. Another one, which was grid-based was The Banner Saga (gorgeous game and story too, haven't played the second) and Divinity had a cool system but I didn't have time to really get huge into it. Still need to play Darkest Dungeon but I hear bad things about the ending so I'm weary.

As for Silk, you playing many roguelikes outside of Binding of Isaac - and on that note, getting Afterbirth +?

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Gimme dat PSN name and let me kill you in Friday the 13th.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

yeah, if you're young then they will all be super confusing. I didn't realise MGS3 was a prequel when I first played it either But I think they are relatively simple to follow if you pay enough attention. MGS2 can be tough to 'get' but I think once you reach the end of it, it's not too hard to understand.

I actually forgot Peace Walker. Good game. Some people don't like it though - same with V, cause it's a departure from usual MGS gameplay.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post

I definitely never finished any TMNT game, spent a lot more time on the arcade game, but we did have the NES one in the house once in a while and it was pretty great. Haven't played Syndicate, will look into it
    The original Tmnt is one of the hardest games. It's so hard I couldn't beat it with game genie. I was young though. I recently beat it with save states. I loved arcade game (tmnt 2 on nes) and the 3rd one. I was able to finish those back in the day.

Syndicate is on GOG. On sale you can get for 2 bucks. It's like xcom but in real time.

What are your thoughts on real time strategy? Imo they are the best games genre. Especially skirmish. I find rts games truly test ones mind and skills. Like chess. I don't get that from other games. Maybe other strategy like 4x or sim_____.

Do you play any? Why do you think it's such a dying genre? I find to many fans try and compare any new rts to starcraft.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    yeah, if you're young then they will all be super confusing. I didn't realise MGS3 was a prequel when I first played it either But I think they are relatively simple to follow if you pay enough attention. MGS2 can be tough to 'get' but I think once you reach the end of it, it's not too hard to understand.

I actually forgot Peace Walker. Good game. Some people don't like it though - same with V, cause it's a departure from usual MGS gameplay.
    Don't be sad Shake I didn't know too much of the lord of Metal Gear and I didn't know Snake Eater was a prequel at all till some healthy researching on the franchise after I finished the first three games. I've spent so many hours playing all the Metal Gear games the first one especially helped me survive the 8th grade. These games are truly are classics and make you think and find out how to beat each level as the game gets hitter. You can't just run in there and go Duke Nukem, no you gotta take your time and figure out the best course of action. I still have MGS 2 for PS2 and once a year I play it and beat it within a day or so. I still remember for some reason I think in the third game having to be in the Woods and a Sniper of some kind is shooting at all, forgot the person name. I legit sat inside a Log and he various times pass by me and I picked him off, it took hours to wait though lol.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

Striving for a B+ in life

Status
      Country                    United States

One race in Mario Kart 64 for $1 million. Which character you running with?

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One View Post
    question 2, why isn't it wario?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
    question 2, why isn't it wario?
    Question 3: Wario sucks.

2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Wario wins, that's what they all say.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

I say this now anytime I played Mario Kart or Mario Party over the years I always pick Wario. My younger brother gives me slack for it, he's like you haven't won a damn game as Wario in Mario Party 2 ever time to change. I'll say like man keep to using your freak Dinosaur Yoshi, I'll keep using the man with the plan.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

Status
      Country                    Djibouti

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Cage View Post
    As for Silk, you playing many roguelikes outside of Binding of Isaac - and on that note, getting Afterbirth +?
    I've spent a bit of time away from Isaac but I'm definitely looking forward to the new expansion. As for other games in the genre, Nuclear Throne is a very fun, fast-paced shooter rogue that's significantly more chaotic than Isaac and a pretty harsh difficulty curve. It's a good time. FTL: Faster Than Light is my other big favorite, a more strategic, sci-fi leaning roguelike in which you basically control your own Star Trek ship. I've sunk a LOT of hours into that one.

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    What are your thoughts on real time strategy? Imo they are the best games genre. Especially skirmish. I find rts games truly test ones mind and skills. Like chess. I don't get that from other games. Maybe other strategy like 4x or sim_____.

Do you play any? Why do you think it's such a dying genre? I find to many fans try and compare any new rts to starcraft.
    Strategy games of any kind rarely resonate with me, frankly because to shit all over myself for a second, I don't think fast enough to be competent at most of them. I played a ton of Age of Empires II and Starcraft way back when, and occasionally I get dragged into those or Dawn of War with a few buds who really like 'em. Obviously I've played a lot of Civ, 3 through 5, like most PC gamers.

As for their dying off, I don't know and that's a really good question honestly. It seems like a genre with a diehard niche fanbase that could really thrive in today's indie-centric PC market, but I don't hear much about blockbuster new strategy games. Maybe I'm just not listening and they're there, or they're in a big downswing. Either way, I hesitate to say any genre is dying or dead. These things can always come back, especially when nostalgia starts really taking over the market. I wouldn't be shocked to see a big uptick in RTS games in the coming years from some indie devs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One View Post
    Lame as it is, probably Mario since he's balanced. Has the speed of the heavies and the flexibility of lighter characters. While there's better, riskier picks, if there's a million on the line I'm playing it safe.

Usually play Peach though, because feminism.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Sweet Meat

Status

The true feminist pick would be Luigi. You disappoint.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status
      Country                    Canada

Since when are RTS dying off?

Ill need to check out FTL!

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Cage View Post
    Since when are RTS dying off?

Ill need to check out FTL!
    Since the golden era of rts games in the mid 2000s. It's not just that...it's that rts fans have also become fickle about them.

Maybe dying off is the wrong word. The genre has become smaller and the choices are fewer and farther between.

Most rts games that come out ...flop as far as replay value because they are compared to Starcraft 2. Starcraft 2 is a action per minute mp game. And honestly those games are lame.

The two biggest rts games in the last three years are Company of Hereos 2 which was released and met with hatred and it took near a year to get positive vibes from the community and maybe Wargames: Red Dragon.

Other games have come out such as Grey Goo, Etherium ( broken and deserted) Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak( deserted by devs), Act of Aggression ( flopped and deserted by devs) Planetary Annihilation and Ashes of the Singularity.

Compared to the early 2000s this is nothing. Im also not including remakes

I love Deserts of Kharak and Ashes. The communities are small. As for the games deserted by devs...I'm not sure what happened..it's like they got annoyed with the fans demands and said fuck it.

Relic ( Dawn of War, Company of hereos) are the biggest devs behind blizzard. They are the only really big devs that make rts games. Stardock is another and they did a fantastic job with Ashes and the idea of 300, 000 units going at it is insane. But most people's pc can't even handle it.

The two new ones coming out are Halo Wars 2 and Dawn of War 3. HW 2 is windows 10 only because microsoft are idiots ( already making that player base smaller by default)

Fans of Dawn of War and it's lore are already boycotting the 3rd just based off of gameplay footage. The one I told you to buy is one of the best rts games ever and it still played heavily today. Company of Hereos 1 is widely regarded as the greatest rts ever. Supreme Commander Forged Alliance is another one that is still widely played and loved. Fans prefer the older mid 2000 games.
    Last edited by indyfan; 12-18-2016 at 08:54 AM.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    I've spent a bit of time away from Isaac but I'm definitely looking forward to the new expansion. As for other games in the genre, Nuclear Throne is a very fun, fast-paced shooter rogue that's significantly more chaotic than Isaac and a pretty harsh difficulty curve. It's a good time. FTL: Faster Than Light is my other big favorite, a more strategic, sci-fi leaning roguelike in which you basically control your own Star Trek ship. I've sunk a LOT of hours into that one.

Strategy games of any kind rarely resonate with me, frankly because to shit all over myself for a second, I don't think fast enough to be competent at most of them. I played a ton of Age of Empires II and Starcraft way back when, and occasionally I get dragged into those or Dawn of War with a few buds who really like 'em. Obviously I've played a lot of Civ, 3 through 5, like most PC gamers.

As for their dying off, I don't know and that's a really good question honestly. It seems like a genre with a diehard niche fanbase that could really thrive in today's indie-centric PC market, but I don't hear much about blockbuster new strategy games. Maybe I'm just not listening and they're there, or they're in a big downswing. Either way, I hesitate to say any genre is dying or dead. These things can always come back, especially when nostalgia starts really taking over the market. I wouldn't be shocked to see a big uptick in RTS games in the coming years from some indie devs.

Lame as it is, probably Mario since he's balanced. Has the speed of the heavies and the flexibility of lighter characters. While there's better, riskier picks, if there's a million on the line I'm playing it safe.

Usually play Peach though, because feminism.
    I pick Mario a lot because it's contrarian to contrarianism. Very few pick him. A deep dive down the vortex of hipster thought. I take Bowser a lot too. Good picks on Mario and Peach. More ppl should use Peach. She's underrated.

2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

How is FTL a RTS?

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
    How is FTL a RTS?
    It's isn't. I dont think He meant that though. 2 different ideas in one post.

Some games are labeled rts but are not. Like Total War.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

my bad, how is FTL a roguelike game?

Thread Information