Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steam Sales and Discussion

People's Champion

Status

Re: Steam Autumn Sale - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    No but as someone who both loves the space-faring genre and also thinks false advertisement and scams are bullshit, it might as well have.

I take it you haven't seen any of the videos where they go over all the things the developer Sean Murray (I think his name is?) said were in the game but were definitely NOT in the game. They sold a lie. And none of that "everybody exaggerates" bullshit - they blatantly lied about what was in the game to sell copies and then hid from the public afterwards. Go watch. Go learn. You will probably hate them with a seething rage the same way that I do afterwards. In all honesty, I would be surprised and somewhat concerned if you did not feel similarly.

Don't trust gaming media. They loved the game before it came out and got shit on by everyone who isn't paid to love it. As for the update improving the game, it's hard not to improve on a grade F- by adding anything that isn't utter shit. Still doesn't make it a proper game experience.

Nothing but disdain for No Man's Sky. There were some among the gaming media who questioned the lack of objectives and content and they were laughed at as though they were crazy people. It was disgusting and that's not hyperbole.

Here, watch this video.
    Agreed. It's the same way they react to indy games vs Triple A games. Indy games don't get the love but big games do, even if they are shit.

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

No but as someone who both loves the space-faring genre and also thinks false advertisement and scams are bullshit, it might as well have.

I take it you haven't seen any of the videos where they go over all the things the developer Sean Murray (I think his name is?) said were in the game but were definitely NOT in the game. They sold a lie. And none of that "everybody exaggerates" bullshit - they blatantly lied about what was in the game to sell copies and then hid from the public afterwards. Go watch. Go learn. You will probably hate them with a seething rage the same way that I do afterwards. In all honesty, I would be surprised and somewhat concerned if you did not feel similarly.

Don't trust gaming media. They loved the game before it came out and got shit on by everyone who isn't paid to love it. As for the update improving the game, it's hard not to improve on a grade F- by adding anything that isn't utter shit. Still doesn't make it a proper game experience.

Nothing but disdain for No Man's Sky. There were some among the gaming media who questioned the lack of objectives and content and they were laughed at as though they were crazy people. It was disgusting and that's not hyperbole.

Here, watch this video.
    Didnt most gaming sites review them as average/mediocre? And dont say it was worse than that because they didnt meet expectations. Gaming media reviews what is, not what was promised.

As for the silence: it wasnt the best tactoc but at most they could apologize, they didnt do that but they focused on adding extra content which i believe ismt paid either. It obviously wasnt just a money grab. The press for this game got ridiculously out of hand and Sean Murray who was nowhere near capable of doing all these PR stuff completely fucked up and overpromised and way way wayyyyyyyy underdelivered.

I still think youre being harsh and yes ive followed the whole campaign trail. If they redeem themselves and truly build on that foundatiom update with a special mention for a true multiplayer experience (they really missed the boat on getting something EVE-lite going) then id be open to actually getting it myself.

God's Gift to God

Status

Here, watch this video.
    I'm fully aware of the tomfoolery and thought it was hilarious. But I still saw potential in the game. I'm reading lots of outlets who shit on the game respond positively to the update. None are saying the game is complete but it's a step in the right direction.

@indy I know my pc is strong but plenty of people with similar builds had issues with dishonored. That's where the reviews got weird.

ily

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Coxatron View Post
    I'm fully aware of the tomfoolery and thought it was hilarious. But I still saw potential in the game. I'm reading lots of outlets who shit on the game respond positively to the update. None are saying the game is complete but it's a step in the right direction.

@indy I know my pc is strong but plenty of people with similar builds had issues with dishonored. That's where the reviews got weird.

ily
    You can always buy it and try it for 1 hour and 50 minutes and if you don't like it...refund it

God's Gift to God

Status

I'll just wait and see what future updates hit. If they keep making it a real game I wouldn't have a problem shelling out more for it.

And you convinced me to get darksiders you son of a bitch

ily

No One

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Agreed. It's the same way they react to indy games vs Triple A games. Indy games don't get the love but big games do, even if they are shit.
    An indy game with enough publicity does. And there are plenty of websites dedicated to indy and niche games. Stardew Valley for example blew up and Undertale and Gone Home etc. Not shocking that bigger sites focus on more popular games for sustenance. But if you get your publicity going theyll check your game out. Darkest Dungeon is another one. And No Man Sky was pretty small and indy when it first got coverage (pre flood).

People's Champion

Status

I'll just wait and see what future updates hit. If they keep making it a real game I wouldn't have a problem shelling out more for it.

And you convinced me to get darksiders you son of a bitch

ily
    LOL, i thought it wasn't your thing? Its like God of War with a free moving camera. I love God of War but hate the locked camera. I play it with an xbox 360 controller. i have no idea how it plays with a mouse and keyboard. I hope you enjoy it!! I had the original version through Good Ole Games and i loved it. So i got the free remastered update today. Im installing it right now.

Always remember you have 2 weeks or 2 hours to decide if you like it. Its a win win situation. I refund all the time. But game time adds up!!!

Also in a month, the Christmas sale is coming. Pick up NMS then.
    Last edited by indyfan; 11-29-2016 at 07:19 PM.

God's Gift to God

Status

It's not my thing but I'm a sucker for bundle sales. Both games for 10 bucks ok you got me

ily

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Sorry for the ranting but I am pretty passionate about developers/publishers trying to fuck gamers over.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Cage View Post
    Didnt most gaming sites review them as average/mediocre? And dont say it was worse than that because they didnt meet expectations. Gaming media reviews what is, not what was promised.
    Some reviewed it as average/mediocre but it's less the reviews I am referring to and more the 'hype train' before it came out. Let's call it "the spotlight," given to a game that obviously didn't deserve it on release but never really deserved it before release. It was a hollow shell of a game that everyone propped up as the next big thing because that's all that was available at the time. It's similar to how 24 hours news channels need to blow everything out of proportion because there's not always 24 hours worth of news. I'm not about to pretend that Sony didn't pay a fuckton to make it a point of interest despite there being hardly any gameplay involved.

If you haven't taken an actual, serious, real-life look at the detailed list of promises that were never intended to be fulfilled at launch, then please don't waste my time with this conversation. See link at bottom of this post if you are unconvinced.

As for the silence: it wasnt the best tactoc but at most they could apologize, they didnt do that but they focused on adding extra content which i believe ismt paid either. It obviously wasnt just a money grab.
    The silence was probably advice from legal counsel. Don't know what that last line means, it obviously was just a money grab. It was a small indy title that would be generous to call worthy of $20 that was suddenly thrust into mainstream, charged AAA prices for, that never even intended to deliver.

The press for this game got ridiculously out of hand and Sean Murray who was nowhere near capable of doing all these PR stuff completely fucked up and overpromised and way way wayyyyyyyy underdelivered.
    Let's call it what it is: lying. False advertising. He should be charged with a crime for his role in its marketing given that he had a better understanding than anyone else how untrue all of it was.

I still think youre being harsh and yes ive followed the whole campaign trail. If they redeem themselves and truly build on that foundatiom update with a special mention for a true multiplayer experience (they really missed the boat on getting something EVE-lite going) then id be open to actually getting it myself.
    Call it harsh, if you want. I stand by the consumer, and they tried to dupe the consumer. Their tactics were disgusting and I think they should be made an example of. At any mention of No Man's Sky or Hello Games, we should remember just how shit they were/are. It's just the principle of it - this is something no gamer should stand for.

Again, any step away from a cliff is a step in the right direction, I would be more surprised to see a bad review for something in desperate need of any change at all. It's hilarious in the worst way possible and it's well and truly fucked from a consumer standpoint.

Reddit thread about what's missing: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comme...on_a_big_list/
    Last edited by The Natural; 11-29-2016 at 07:48 PM.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

No One

Status

http://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-d...rds-authority/

Though it certainly won't satisfy Natty or anyone who feels seriously hard done by this

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Remember when this was a discussion about steam sales? yea me neither

SIX F'N STARS

Status

http://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-d...rds-authority/

Though it certainly won't satisfy Natty or anyone who feels seriously hard done by this
    You're right. Satisfaction level: 0.

edit: LOL at the comments on that. Illustrates perfectly how 'BS' that ruling is.

I mean, that's cool and all, but they literally did use misleading promotional material. Not the ad that they are specifically targeting in that specific instance, but if E3 presentations and talk show ramblings can be considered promotional, they absolutely did. Dishonest AF.

I dare anyone to give that Reddit thread a good read (not the comments, just the thread itself) and then tell me Hello Games didn't fuck people over.

In my opinion, the people who choose to side with Hello Games or take this matter lightly a.) don't care about deceptive practices, b.) are uninformed regarding this matter, and/or c.) have some stake in Hello Games. I'm always open to discussion and the possibility of being wrong but the evidence is damning.
    Last edited by The Natural; 11-30-2016 at 04:16 PM.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
    Remember when this was a discussion about steam sales? yea me neither
    Sale's over, bro.

No One

Status

You're right. Satisfaction level: 0.

I mean, that's cool and all, but they literally did use misleading promotional material. Not the ad that they are specifically targeting in that specific instance, but if E3 presentations and talk show ramblings can be considered promotional, they absolutely did. Dishonest AF.

I dare anyone to give that Reddit thread a good read (not the comments, just the thread itself) and then tell me Hello Games didn't fuck people over.

In my opinion, the people who choose to side with Hello Games or take this matter lightly a.) don't care about deceptive practices, b.) are uninformed regarding this matter, and/or c.) have some stake in Hello Games. I'm always open to discussion and the possibility of being wrong but the evidence is damning.
    I'd fit in category A - mostly because it's all hype at the end of the day, false hype or good hype, it's just hype. You always wait for the end result. Pre-ordering is something I don't do anymore, unless it's a Mass Effect or Witcher game where I'd give Bioware/CD Projekt Red my life.

Sean Murray is completely inept in terms of PR and said some totally outrageous shit. But again, if it's a money-grab, they wouldn't be providing any updates free of charge (I'll be disappointed if they start charging for the foundation update follow ups). Ultimate Team is a money grab. Social games that spam you for micro transactions are money grabs. This isn't. I genuinely think this was a passion project and the attention and Sean Murray's inability to realize he needed to hire a PR person, fucked them over. All that said, I think you can look at a million unprepared presentations as such, talk show ramblings, interviews and come to find people making statements about their game they didn't intend to - again, never to the level of Sean Murray (aside from maybe Star Citizen guy but he still has time to fulfill his promises even though he's struggling to do so it seems). This particularly for indy companies that can't handle it (the good ones like Undertale/Stardew Valley guy are modest and humble and have hopes but don't make promises, then again, their game came out ready).

You can find an endless swarm of games who overpromised or gave the impression of something different and then had to go in and toss in a fuckton of DLCs or patches to get their game to appropriate level - a lot of the time, they're in these of multiplayer oriented games like ESO, Destiny, Division that are huge as well. You can also scroll down the list of Kickstarter if you want to see something like it.

It's 2016, deceptive practices suck (I don't think they were intentionally deceiving, I think Murray got caught in a web of exagerrations and just made the problem get worse and worse), but I'm never gonna rely on the developer for it, and while I read a ton of critics and reviewers, we have gameplay readily available from let's players on youtube when the game comes out. Rely on it. People rushed out to buy it but if they'd waited five days, NMS wouldn't have the sales they have right now. People bought in so hard to the hype, NMS became a victim of its own success. Kinda like Patrick Rothfuss or George R.R. Martin where fans have become complete assholes to them because their book isn't out yet, despite promises that it'll be out sooner.

Gaming industry is a service industry. If they aren't serving you, abandon them, leave them, don't touch their product. And if you're not sure about it or skeptical (which you always should be) then check out the criticism of it. Ain't no reason to go into anything blindfolded or solely off the creator's statements nowadays.

And yes. Hello Games didn't fuck people over, people fucked themselves over. Even critics readily state that you shouldn't be preordering games, and they're, to a degree, part of the hype train. Or, in wrestling terms, you got worked.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

well in that case,

No Man's Sky sucks the balls.

I bought it day 1, installed it and played it for I'd say a good maybe 5 hours. woke up the next morning, hit uninstall and never played it again.

That should probably tell you something about it.

People's Champion

Status

The only time I pre ordered anything was Shadow Warrior 2 and Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation. Flying Hog is the best company that delivers what they promise and Stardock and Oxide have delivered on Ashes.

I never pre order from Triple A companies who change 79.99 cad for a new game. Shadow Warrior 2 was 35.00 cad brand new and is easily one of the best FPS today.

Ashes...rts than can hold thousands of units at a time....Yeah friggin awesome. Cost me 32.00 cad with the original version as a throw in
    Last edited by indyfan; 11-30-2016 at 07:05 PM.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

I'd fit in category A - mostly because it's all hype at the end of the day, false hype or good hype, it's just hype. You always wait for the end result. Pre-ordering is something I don't do anymore, unless it's a Mass Effect or Witcher game where I'd give Bioware/CD Projekt Red my life.
    Yes, it's obviously just hype. And yes, people are responsible for their pre-orders and due diligence in investigating hype. But that does not make Hello Games innocent by any stretch of the imagination. They are still a deplorable company using awful, deceptive practices.

Sean Murray is completely inept in terms of PR and said some totally outrageous shit. But again, if it's a money-grab, they wouldn't be providing any updates free of charge (I'll be disappointed if they start charging for the foundation update follow ups). Ultimate Team is a money grab. Social games that spam you for micro transactions are money grabs. This isn't.
    You're getting hung up on terminology. It's questionable whether No Man's Sky is worth $20 but it's obviously not worth $60. What Sony did was take a small indie game and fill a slot where a big AAA title was missing, without adding in the features or components that would justify an AAA price. You think 'money grab' isn't appropriate? Fine. Use some other negative term for it.

I genuinely think this was a passion project and the attention and Sean Murray's inability to realize he needed to hire a PR person, fucked them over.
    His inability to realize he needed to hire a PR person, and his penchant for lying at every given opportunity while smiling fucked them over.

You can find an endless swarm of games who overpromised or gave the impression of something different and then had to go in and toss in a fuckton of DLCs or patches to get their game to appropriate level - a lot of the time, they're in these of multiplayer oriented games like ESO, Destiny, Division that are huge as well. You can also scroll down the list of Kickstarter if you want to see something like it.
    How about calling it a multiplayer game when it isn't at all.

I'm sorry, but the discrepancy between the types of games you are describing and No Man's Sky, is as vast as No Man's Sky imagines itself to be. I don't think you could find a similar game hyped on a AAA level with as many missing features from what was advertised. You're welcome to try. I imagine even the closest will pale in comparison.

It's 2016, deceptive practices suck (I don't think they were intentionally deceiving, I think Murray got caught in a web of exagerrations and just made the problem get worse and worse)
    The man lied about things that were not even coded in to be possible, under the guise of 'procedural generation' and 'huge, vast play-space' so that you 'might never find each other.' It was not 'an exaggeration,' it was BULLSHIT. A straight fucking lie, man. What do you gain by defending that??

People rushed out to buy it but if they'd waited five days, NMS wouldn't have the sales they have right now. People bought in so hard to the hype, NMS became a victim of its own success.
    That's absolutely horse shit. They are not a 'victim' of their own success. They are a victim of the lies and marketing that preceded the games release. No more, no less.

And blaming people for buying it is understandable but unacceptable. Predatory practices and taking advantage of consumers is not okay. A con man is not innocent simply because his mark was a buffoon, which is what you are implying here. That seems a ridiculous notion to me, but believe what you want to believe.

Gaming industry is a service industry. If they aren't serving you, abandon them, leave them, don't touch their product. And if you're not sure about it or skeptical (which you always should be) then check out the criticism of it. Ain't no reason to go into anything blindfolded or solely off the creator's statements nowadays.
    Again I agree but that does not excuse them.

And yes. Hello Games didn't fuck people over, people fucked themselves over. Even critics readily state that you shouldn't be preordering games, and they're, to a degree, part of the hype train. Or, in wrestling terms, you got worked.
    I understand your sentiment toward people rushing in to pre-order games. It's dumb and, many times, without justification. But that does not excuse Hello Games and/or Sean Murray from their role in lying to the consumers. Period.

God's Gift to God

Status

Winter sale starts on the 22nd. Prepare your wallets, friends.

ily

No One

Status

Winter sale starts on the 22nd. Prepare your wallets, friends.

ily
    But im poor -_-

God's Gift to God

Status

Lasts until January 2nd if that helps.

ily

Thread Information