Page 87 of 87 FirstFirst ... 37 77858687
Results 1,721 to 1,729 of 1729

Thread: The President Trump Thread

Host of Ground Zero

Status

Re: The President Trump Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Truth View Post
    TBF, I'm all for a certain degree of child labor coming back to this country. Nothing terribly dangerous or uncivilized, but having kids spend a month working on a farm would be nice.

Hell, if 12 year old Trump would've spent a summer working on a farm chucking bales of hay and shoveling shit, he might not have grown up to be a man who seems to think that you need to have a million dollars to be considered remotely human.
    That has nothing to do with child labor that has to do with how you're raised and your upbringing. There's less farms, less families having their kids work on farms. We aren't so much a farming industry anymore. Do you want kids working in factories?

It's up to the parents to teach their kids work ethics. All child labor laws are is employers not being able to hire kids a certain age, which has a lot more factors involved in it.

And in your Donald Trumo theory it wouldn't make a difference because he'd still be a rich entitled snot. Unless you're talking about forced child labor or something, which by all means if that's the road you're going down then by golly this should be interesting.

Host of Ground Zero

Status

Apparently Trump said he feels he should be allowed to pardon himself.

My question is, why does he think he's gonna have to pardon himself? That isn't something an innocent person would have to say don't you think?

HOSS MOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Apparently Trump said he feels he should be allowed to pardon himself.

My question is, why does he think he's gonna have to pardon himself? That isn't something an innocent person would have to say don't you think?
    I suggest not slipping into that line of thinking. As much as I'll agree it looks really bad that he has to express that, it doesn't suggest guilt. More than anything, it's Donald Trump being defensive because he's Donald Trump.

HOSS MOD

Status

That has nothing to do with child labor that has to do with how you're raised and your upbringing. There's less farms, less families having their kids work on farms. We aren't so much a farming industry anymore. Do you want kids working in factories?

It's up to the parents to teach their kids work ethics. All child labor laws are is employers not being able to hire kids a certain age, which has a lot more factors involved in it.

And in your Donald Trumo theory it wouldn't make a difference because he'd still be a rich entitled snot. Unless you're talking about forced child labor or something, which by all means if that's the road you're going down then by golly this should be interesting.
    My point is that our children are taught "sympathy," not "empathy." Regardless of whether a few scars due to doing actual hard work is good for the soul or not, our society in general is taught to feel bad about the misfortune of others (for the most part). We're all about big displays of sympathy, but very few people actually learn empathy, the ability to understand a person's misfortunes rather than feel bad about them going through it.

Sympathy's good and all, but it doesn't really do anything. Empathy opens up understanding and a deeper appreciation for the suffering of others, which prompts actual effort to rectify that. Going back to my example: you can sympathize with the plights of farmers whenever the price of corn drops like a lead weight and they wonder how they're going to heat their homes in the winter, but if you're a millionaire you're not going to act quickly or at all to help the farmer. The minute you actually see and experience the hard work a farmer does regardless of how the market rolls with his product, the more you begin to truly understand and realize just how real that fight is.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status
    ="text-align:left">   Country                    Canada

My point is that our children are taught "sympathy," not "empathy." Regardless of whether a few scars due to doing actual hard work is good for the soul or not, our society in general is taught to feel bad about the misfortune of others (for the most part). We're all about big displays of sympathy, but very few people actually learn empathy, the ability to understand a person's misfortunes rather than feel bad about them going through it.

Sympathy's good and all, but it doesn't really do anything. Empathy opens up understanding and a deeper appreciation for the suffering of others, which prompts actual effort to rectify that. Going back to my example: you can sympathize with the plights of farmers whenever the price of corn drops like a lead weight and they wonder how they're going to heat their homes in the winter, but if you're a millionaire you're not going to act quickly or at all to help the farmer. The minute you actually see and experience the hard work a farmer does regardless of how the market rolls with his product, the more you begin to truly understand and realize just how real that fight is.
    This in so so so many ways.

Host of Ground Zero

Status

If it makes you feel any more optimistic Cyrus...

I work for a sports company where I coach football/soccer, set up fields, run the site, etc.

There was a little girl at my field today who was selling cookies and lemonade. Her mom had her doing all the work and organization, and she was even counting the change too. The money was going towards her school supplies they said.

This is actually a really rich neighborhood too, and quite frankly I hate working that field because most of the families there are so snobby. But this season we've had a lot of black families, and they are all so super nice. All the white families are still super snobby though.

HOSS MOD

Status

If it makes you feel any more optimistic Cyrus...

I work for a sports company where I coach football/soccer, set up fields, run the site, etc.

There was a little girl at my field today who was selling cookies and lemonade. Her mom had her doing all the work and organization, and she was even counting the change too. The money was going towards her school supplies they said.

This is actually a really rich neighborhood too, and quite frankly I hate working that field because most of the families there are so snobby. But this season we've had a lot of black families, and they are all so super nice. All the white families are still super snobby though.
    Good little girl.

Also, don't mistake what I'm saying as some sort of bleak outlook. I have enough self-loathing that I don't feel the need to extend it to others. I merely am trying to state an observation. Namely, hating an entire group of people or loving an entire group of people for something so stupid as race, religion, or political views is asinine. Rather, I choose to dislike people based on the content of their bullshit. Anybody can be a saint, and anybody can be an asshole. It doesn't take a skin color or party platform to be either.

If I am to be optimistic about something, it's that I do feel like this whole Trump thing is the last big gasp of an era where the elite feel that they can get away with anything to suit their own needs, and that charged barely-contained hate speak is acceptable. Believe me, if Trump is found to have colluded with Russia directly to win the campaign, he and his cronies aren't the only ones going down as a result of this. We are at the crossroads of history, friends. Things are only going to get more chaotic and interesting as the weeks go on.

Dak Lives Matter!

Status
      Country                    United States

You make some reasonable points with costs, but it's pretty cynical to think the people who need health insurance are "people who go too McDonalds and shoot stuff into their veins"

The people being denied health care are cancer patients. For you to single out Type 2 diabetes out of all things is pretty rude to be honest. Especially because a lot of those patients may not have even been unhealthy eaters.

Judging people who need medical care is pretty dark and selfish. Medical care is medical care. I may agree with the whole drug addict thing, but still an illness is an illness. Think about if it was one of your family members and the health care providers were denying coverage.
    I'm sorry, but are you saying I mentioned Type 2 Diabetes or is that something Trump said? I don't recall mentioning it in my post, nor have I been paying attention to anything Trump has said recently. My McDonalds comment was mainly A shot at obesity related issues.

I will admit, I am a very dark individual, but I have my reasons.

...100 Million Americans is just shy of 33% of the total population. Statistics show the unemployment rate in the US at just above 4%.

Not to be mean, Swamps, but I'm curious too where you got that 100 Million number.
    The US Census Bureau releases six measures of unemployment rates. The 4.7% is the U3 Measure that you just quoted, and the one the Media loves to throw out. They don't bother to show the U4 numbers that include those who were looking for employment but have just given up for various reason. U5 shows the rate with people who are doing other things such as being a full time parent, college students, etc. The U6 includes part time and temp workers, and this number is just over 9.3%. By the way, this is done by measuring 60,000 households. I don't think 323 million people can fit in that many households. I rounded up to 100 Million (because I was on my cell phone and too lazy to look up the actually number at the time), but the actually number is just above 95 million. If you like, I can PM you some articles from "Left Wing" news sources that also report on this. I won't bother sending any "Right Wing" material because some of those articles are way out there and, well you know.
    Keeping the candle burning for Carl

People's Champion

Status

Hardly close to 100 Million. From what I just researched, U6 includes all categories and it sits around 8.6 percent. So U6 includes all of u5 plus other variables. U5 includes all of u4 plus other variables. U4 includes all of u3 plus other variables.

It's no where near 33%. You added u1 through u6.

The same person will appear in u3, u4,u5 and u6.

Thread Information