Page 127 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,540 of 2828

Thread: The President Trump Thread

God's Gift to God

Status

Re: The President Trump Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang View Post
    You have to look at the big picture though.

If Christians would have voted against Trump because he made some crude comments where would be?

With the Supreme Court pick we would have a liberal that could have affected the balance of the Supreme Court for decades.

You keep saying "the good of the people". Well the good of the people is subjective.

I don't think putting a liberal in office will be for "the good of the people".

Unfortunately that is what politics has devolved to. One person can make a huge difference for decades to come.

Stop making politics and issues so divisive and I will consider voting for people based on the person. Until then I have to be a purely political issues voter.

Don't try to pretend that a lot of you voted Hillary just because the alternative was worse to you.

No difference.
    To me the bigger picture is more about creating a healthy country. Financially and physically. And while I can already hear the argument that abortion creates more people which creates more workers etc I don't agree with it foundationally.

I think if the country wants to call itself the land of the free then it needs to actually mean it in regards to social issues like abortion.

But I think there's larger issues that could help us find some type of middle, solid ground with something like medical insurance in this country. Cut military spending. Cut welfare/assistance programs and put a strong system of accountability in place. I work retail and see people who are flagrantly abusing the system and personally know people who have lied on applications and gotten food stamps.

Anyone on government assistance should be drug tested. And anyone on assistance should be limited in what they can buy. I don't think people should be able to get 800 bucks a month and buy unlimited junk food and other garbage. Much like the WIC program limits mothers on what they get, I think food stamps should work the same way.

Between the testing and specific types of food [not DRAMATICALLY limited to the point of absurdity] you could cut a considerable amount of money. Cut military spending to a more realistic amount. Then bam. Sink that into creating a healthy insurance system.

To me that's big picture stuff. This whole changing the team every four years thing has got to go. I don't begrudge you for wanting to vote for "your" party because it's how you've been conditioned. But I think it's more short sighted than you do.

Wanna get real big picture? Let's get rid of this entire structure for how lifelong politicians can exist. That is absurd. They get to keep their jobs and exempt themselves from what they subject us to by preying on folks like you that only vote Republican or Democrat or whatever. They get to cheat at their job by playing to your belief system.

That does not create positive change. Neither does just voting for the opposite party. The entire system is fucked and the country is fucked because of it.

ily

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Coxatron View Post
    To me the bigger picture is more about creating a healthy country. Financially and physically. And while I can already hear the argument that abortion creates more people which creates more workers etc I don't agree with it foundationally.

I think if the country wants to call itself the land of the free then it needs to actually mean it in regards to social issues like abortion.

But I think there's larger issues that could help us find some type of middle, solid ground with something like medical insurance in this country. Cut military spending. Cut welfare/assistance programs and put a strong system of accountability in place. I work retail and see people who are flagrantly abusing the system and personally know people who have lied on applications and gotten food stamps.

Anyone on government assistance should be drug tested. And anyone on assistance should be limited in what they can buy. I don't think people should be able to get 800 bucks a month and buy unlimited junk food and other garbage. Much like the WIC program limits mothers on what they get, I think food stamps should work the same way.

Between the testing and specific types of food [not DRAMATICALLY limited to the point of absurdity] you could cut a considerable amount of money. Cut military spending to a more realistic amount. Then bam. Sink that into creating a healthy insurance system.

To me that's big picture stuff. This whole changing the team every four years thing has got to go. I don't begrudge you for wanting to vote for "your" party because it's how you've been conditioned. But I think it's more short sighted than you do.

Wanna get real big picture? Let's get rid of this entire structure for how lifelong politicians can exist. That is absurd. They get to keep their jobs and exempt themselves from what they subject us to by preying on folks like you that only vote Republican or Democrat or whatever. They get to cheat at their job by playing to your belief system.

That does not create positive change. Neither does just voting for the opposite party. The entire system is fucked and the country is fucked because of it.

ily
    People that abuse the system are a drop in the bucket compared to business and bankers and CEOs who abuse the system. It's crazy that we have been lead to believe the poor are screwing us over

Honestly I don't blame people first screwing the system. It's screws regular folk all the time. Abuse of spending, politicians ridiculous pensions ,etc. And that's in my country too.

I say keep welfare but the applicant gets welfare as long as they are attending a trade school or even University as long as the industry is in demand of workers

I'm also against drug addicts receiving welfare but guess what..you can just leave them homeless either. They re people too and they have a sickness. So they should get welfare as long as they attend rehab.

The best way to fight crime is getting people educated.

Some people I know want Canada and more specifically Quebec to add a tax to junk food since people who abuse junk food lead to health problems that we as tax payers end up paying for.
    Last edited by indyfan; 12-06-2017 at 03:39 PM.
    Here fishy fishy fishy.......

God's Gift to God

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    People that abuse the system are a drop in the bucket compared to business and bankers and CEOs who abuse the system. It's crazy that we have been lead to believe the poor are screwing us over

Honestly I don't blame people first screwing the system. It's screws regular folk all the time. Abuse of spending, politicians ridiculous pensions ,etc. And that's in my country too.

I say keep welfare but the applicant gets welfare as long as they are attending a trade school or even University as long as the industry is in demand of workers

I'm also against drug addicts receiving welfare but guess what..you can just leave them homeless either. They re people too and they have a sickness. So they should get welfare as long as they attend rehab.

The best way to fight crime is getting people educated.

Some people I know want Canada and more specifically Quebec to add a tax to junk food since people who abuse junk food lead to health problems that we as tax payers end up paying for.
    Obviously the wealth discrepancy is an issue. But that's not going away anytime soon so we have to adapt. I didn't say anywhere about poor people being a problem. I take home like 25k a year and because of the cost of living I FEEL poor. I can't imagine what people truly suffering go through.

But if they're on drugs? No thanks. I'm not saying completely cut assistance and get rid of it just like I'm not saying cut military spending to zero. But there is absolutely room to improve the welfare system because it seems pretty broken to me.

ily

People's Champion

Status

Obviously the wealth discrepancy is an issue. But that's not going away anytime soon so we have to adapt. I didn't say anywhere about poor people being a problem. I take home like 25k a year and because of the cost of living I FEEL poor. I can't imagine what people truly suffering go through.

But if they're on drugs? No thanks. I'm not saying completely cut assistance and get rid of it just like I'm not saying cut military spending to zero. But there is absolutely room to improve the welfare system because it seems pretty broken to me.

ily
    I said poor because it's often poor people who may rely on welfare system

The thing about addicts is this..if they end up only scraping by or barely able to live..they will result to crime. So it simply causes another issue if they aren't taken care of
    Last edited by indyfan; 12-06-2017 at 03:56 PM.

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

So not being content with playing games with Kim...he's now torn up the script and declared the US see Jerusalem as the Israeli capital....wonder how long it'll take for massive fighting there again...plus moving the embassy from Tel Aviv straight away is a risk given the uncertainty around security.
    I have a plan so cunning......

God's Gift to God

Status

I said poor because it's often poor people who may rely on welfare system

The thing about addicts is this..if they end up only scraping by or barely able to live..they will result to crime. So it simply causes another issue if they aren't taken care of
    It's not a realistic viewpoint to think all issues can be taken care of concurrently. It's a process. And minds should be open to adapt with the changing of society.

That will be a truly prosperous world. Being open minded and changing with technology and discovery. Not holding the country hostage with a piece of paper written hundreds of years ago and by a book thousands of years old.

ily

I'm your Huckleberry

Status
      Country                    United States

ily
    Well how you and I or anyone else prioritize things is going to be different.

It isn't about party to me.

It is the issues. The issues that are most important to me just so happens to be on the conservative side of things.

I did vote Obama so I am not opposed to crossing party lines, however I don't think that turned out well so I am less likely to vote for such a liberal candidate again.

I would be open to a third party candidate if I though they had a fair shot.

“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”

― William F. Buckley Jr.

People's Champion

Status

It's not a realistic viewpoint to think all issues can be taken care of concurrently. It's a process. And minds should be open to adapt with the changing of society.

That will be a truly prosperous world. Being open minded and changing with technology and discovery. Not holding the country hostage with a piece of paper written hundreds of years ago and by a book thousands of years old.

ily
    It seems like there's many countries that go with the flow so to speak in regards to tech upgrades, social change and environmental changes.

I may criticise the US but in no way do I think Canada doesn't need changes either

#GrimLove

Status
      Country                    Japan

Pfft. ''Pro-Lifers'' my ass. They seem to care all about the unborn fetuses and try to push their will on women saying abortion is an abomination. Once they're born though? They don't give two flying fucks what happens to it. That's the great hypocrisy of those people. They are the same people who are all for the tax cuts and military spending but say nothing when we don't have enough funds to continue servicing universal healthcare or taking care of cancer patients, or, God forbid, the recently born fetuses they force women to have who run into problems and have nothing to help them. Not only that, can you actually imagine what banning abortions would do!? There's too many kids for foster care to handle, so let's worsen the fucking problem exponentially. Damn hypocrites. ''Pro-Life, but only before it's born.''

Coming Soon
    The InVasion - A Mafia Game

Grim's Threads:

Coming Soon
    The Spencer Mansion: A Resident Evil MAFIA

Brick Shithouse

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Pfft. ''Pro-Lifers'' my ass. They seem to care all about the unborn fetuses and try to push their will on women saying abortion is an abomination. Once they're born though? They don't give two flying fucks what happens to it. That's the great hypocrisy of those people. They are the same people who are all for the tax cuts and military spending but say nothing when we don't have enough funds to continue servicing universal healthcare or taking care of cancer patients, or, God forbid, the recently born fetuses they force women to have who run into problems and have nothing to help them. Not only that, can you actually imagine what banning abortions would do!? There's too many kids for foster care to handle, so let's worsen the fucking problem exponentially. Damn hypocrites. ''Pro-Life, but only before it's born.''
    Abortion is far far more complex than that, and I don't think you're looking all the arguments in favour of limiting abortion. Plus you're generalising all "pro-lifers" together, which is the exact sort of black/white politics that leads to a polarising candidate like Trump.

On both a social and moral level abortion is one of the most complex and difficult issues of our lifetime. Even I, as a pretty liberal minded person (certainly as far as US politics goes, less-so UK), struggle to come to a conclusion about my own stance on it because there's so much grey area around it.

#GrimLove

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Abortion is far far more complex than that, and I don't think you're looking all the arguments in favour of limiting abortion. Plus you're generalising all "pro-lifers" together, which is the exact sort of black/white politics that leads to a polarising candidate like Trump.

On both a social and moral level abortion is one of the most complex and difficult issues of our lifetime. Even I, as a pretty liberal minded person (certainly as far as US politics goes, less-so UK), struggle to come to a conclusion about my own stance on it because there's so much grey area around it.
    Hardly.

I've debated abortion with myself for years; what's the conclusion I came up with?

Roe vs. Wade

Abortion is constitutional and should remain so, if the woman for whatever reason does not want a pregnancy, she is well within her right as a human being to terminate it. If they do terminate it, I don't judge them for it.

Not only that, I'm hardly generalizing. If you would like me to change my tangent towards Pro-Life Conservatives, I'm more than happy to do so. That's where my argument was directed at. However, Pro-Life is a hypocritical statement in-of-itself when one does not care what happens to the child once it's born. Go figure.

Coming Soon

Grim's Threads:

Coming Soon

Brick Shithouse

Status

Hardly.

I've debated abortion with myself for years; what's the conclusion I came up with?

Roe vs. Wade

Abortion is constitutional and should remain so, if the woman for whatever reason does not want a pregnancy, she is well within her right as a human being to terminate it. If they do terminate it, I don't judge them for it.
    I don't judge them for it either, but it's not something I agree with and I can certainly understand people being tentative towards abortion because they feel that life begins at conception, or for religious beliefs.

Again, there's a huge grey area with abortion that makes it such a tricky subject.

Not only that, I'm hardly generalizing. If you would like me to change my tangent towards Pro-Life Conservatives, I'm more than happy to do so. That's where my argument was directed at. However, Pro-Life is a hypocritical statement in-of-itself when one does not care what happens to the child once it's born. Go figure.
    That's generalising.

#GrimLove

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    I don't judge them for it either, but it's not something I agree with and I can certainly understand people being tentative towards abortion because they feel that life begins at conception, or for religious beliefs.

Again, there's a huge grey area with abortion that makes it such a tricky subject.

That's generalising.
    Again: Hardly.

https://splinternews.com/senator-bac...s-n-1820964483

It’s been more than two months since Congress let the Children’s Health Care Program expire. Co-sponsored by Republican Orrin Hatch when introduced in 1997, CHIP now provides health insurance for nearly nine million kids and 320,000 pregnant women nationwide.

As it would happen, Senator Hatch also helped push through what might turn out to be one of the most destructive bills in modern American history last Friday: a $1.5 trillion tax cut, aimed at appeasing corporations and the wealthy donor class, that will drive up the deficit by $1 trillion over the next decade.

While debating the Senate Republicans’ monstrosity of a tax bill on Thursday, Hatch was asked by Senator Sherrod Brown of Ohio why CHIP, a program that costs $8 billion, still hasn’t been reauthorized and funded. Get a load of this response (emphasis mine):

But let me tell you something. We’re going to do CHIP, there’s no question about it in my mind. It has to be done the right way. But we—the reason CHIP is having trouble is because we don’t have money anymore. We just add more and more spending and more and more spending, and you can look at the rest of the bill for the more and more spending.
    Hatch also had some particularly grotesque concerns about reauthorizing CHIP—and all the other social welfare programs that “millions of people” allegedly take advantage of (emphasis mine):

I happen to think CHIP has done a terrific job for people who really needed the help. I have taken the position around here my whole Senate service. I believe in helping those who cannot help themselves but would if they could. I have a rough time wanting to spend billions and billions and trillions of dollars to help people who won’t help themselves, won’t lift a finger and expect the federal government to do everything. Unfortunately, the liberal philosophy has created millions of people that way who believe everything they are or ever hope to be depend upon the federal government rather than the opportunities that this great country grants them.
    This is, of course, Hatch’s way of describing the myth of the welfare queen—which Donald Trump has also help resurrect throughout the tax reform debate. Hatch pledged to “see that [CHIP] gets through” at the same time, which is bizarre.

While Republicans drag their feet funding a program that they very well could end up not reauthorizing, several states are already preparing to alert thousands of families that their kids are no longer covered by CHIP.

Minnesota has officially run out of CHIP funds, as Governing magazine reported on Sunday. Arizona, California, Oregon, Ohio, and DC, are expected to run out of CHIP funds in early 2018. Colorado, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Texas, Washington, and Utah (Hatch’s state), are also expected to drain their CHIP funding by February.
    TL/DR: They aren't bringing back a program that's supposed to help children and pregnant women who can't help themselves.

They care more about fucking tax cuts then CHILDREN'S FUCKING HEALTHCARE.

I'll do you one more:

Let's hypothetically say abortion has been illegalized. A woman who was raped is pregnant and does not want the child (for the purposes of my argument, imagine a second scenario with consensual sex instead). She cannot abort the fetus legally, so she has two options:

A.) If she is wealthy, go to a country where abortion is legal and get it done there. If she does not have the available funds, she will have to have an illegal abortion. If it fails, she dies. If she succeeds, she potentially faces one of 2 things: 1.) an STD from contaminated surgical tools from a back-alley doctor, or 2.) Criminal charges if caught. In the case of number 2, congrats, you've put an innocent woman in prison.

B.) Be forced to go through with the pregnancy and the horrors that come with carrying the child of a rapist (or in the second scenario, having something you do not want). Even then, there are many things to factor in (potential damage to the mother, cesarean, stillbirth, miscarriage, etc.) However, she manages to have the child.

In the case of Option B, she still does not want the child. There's three things she can do:

A.) Put the child in foster care. The problem with that is this: since 2013, there have been 500,000 children in foster care in the US and it has been growing every year since. In all likelihood, half of those children are going from foster home to foster home with potentially abusive foster parents. The other half will not find a foster home and end up homeless, leading them to a potential life of crime. Either way, you either have someone in prison, dead, or deeply mentally scarred and incapable of basic life functions, or they could turn out completely normal. That's a 75% chance of something bad happening. Not worth the risk, if you ask me.

B.) Dump the baby. Congrats, you have a dead newborn baby, and in all likelihood, if the mother gets caught, she is going to prison.

C.) Keep the child. If she's wealthy, there's a possibility things could be... "normal", aside from the PTSD and the hidden resentment towards the child; congrats, she hates the kid. If she cannot support the child financially, there are a myriad of problems that can occur, such as seen from Option A; the child may become a criminal out of necessity, or die from neglect/lack of resources. The mother is now wholly responsible for the child's death, and society looks down upon her.

Until Pro-Lifers can offer solutions or care about the God knows how many children and teenagers that are out there without a home, Abortion is a viable option for women who do not want to add onto the problem, they are not worth their salt in the argument.

Coming Soon

Grim's Threads:

Coming Soon

People's Champion

Status

Agree with Grim 100%

There's really nothing else to add. In my experience all pro lifers when asked about the baby being born and what about the baby's needs...they reply.."it's not my problem, it's not my kid"

Though I would never want my girlfriend to have abortion, the pros to having it available far outweighs the cons..

I feel the same way about prostitution. They re not going anywhere, legalize it, control it, everyone wins.

No this doesn't mean having college classes on how to be a hooker.
    Last edited by indyfan; 12-06-2017 at 06:24 PM.

Brick Shithouse

Status

Again: Hardly.

https://splinternews.com/senator-bac...s-n-1820964483

TL/DR: They aren't bringing back a program that's supposed to help children and pregnant women who can't help themselves.

They care more about fucking tax cuts then CHILDREN'S FUCKING HEALTHCARE.

I'll do you one more:

Let's hypothetically say abortion has been illegalized. A woman who was raped is pregnant and does not want the child (for the purposes of my argument, imagine a second scenario with consensual sex instead). She cannot abort the fetus legally, so she has two options:

A.) If she is wealthy, go to a country where abortion is legal and get it done there. If she does not have the available funds, she will have to have an illegal abortion. If it fails, she dies. If she succeeds, she potentially faces one of 2 things: 1.) an STD from contaminated surgical tools from a back-alley doctor, or 2.) Criminal charges if caught. In the case of number 2, congrats, you've put an innocent woman in prison.

B.) Be forced to go through with the pregnancy and the horrors that come with carrying the child of a rapist (or in the second scenario, having something you do not want). Even then, there are many things to factor in (potential damage to the mother, cesarean, stillbirth, miscarriage, etc.) However, she manages to have the child.

In the case of Option B, she still does not want the child. There's three things she can do:

A.) Put the child in foster care. The problem with that is this: since 2013, there have been 500,000 children in foster care in the US and it has been growing every year since. In all likelihood, half of those children are going from foster home to foster home with potentially abusive foster parents. The other half will not find a foster home and end up homeless, leading them to a potential life of crime. Either way, you either have someone in prison, dead, or deeply mentally scarred and incapable of basic life functions, or they could turn out completely normal. That's a 75% chance of something bad happening. Not worth the risk, if you ask me.

B.) Dump the baby. Congrats, you have a dead newborn baby, and in all likelihood, if the mother gets caught, she is going to prison.

C.) Keep the child. If she's wealthy, there's a possibility things could be... "normal", aside from the PTSD and the hidden resentment towards the child; congrats, she hates the kid. If she cannot support the child financially, there are a myriad of problems that can occur, such as seen from Option A; the child may become a criminal out of necessity, or die from neglect/lack of resources. The mother is now wholly responsible for the child's death, and society looks down upon her.

Until Pro-Lifers can offer solutions or care about the God knows how many children and teenagers that are out there without a home, Abortion is a viable option for women who do not want to add onto the problem, they are not worth their salt in the argument.
    Which is why I said there's a big grey area that makes it difficult.

What you are failing to see is the legitimate moral and ethical arguments against abortion (or limiting it). After all who is to define what life actually is?

I'm not advocating banning abortions. Much like gun control in the US it's an issue that has no extreme solutions like that because society has gone too far with. But just because I see the reason to keep it legalised doesn't necessarily mean agreeing with it as a concept (again huge grey areas all over the place so this is far from a general statement). I'm for legalising drugs, but that doesn't mean I endorse their use.

Your arguments are strong in the case of rape children absolutely, and that's why I blurt on and on about grey areas. But on the contrary what about a drunk 18 year old that "in moment" has sex without a contraception and falls pregnant. What if they get an abortion and do it all over again? Where is the accountability?

At the end of the day, abortion is not something to be celebrated. It's a shitty fucking thing for everyone involved so steps should be taken to reduce it in some way: e.g. better sex education, increase in contraception availability, reductions in major crimes like rape. What we should strive for as a society is to get to a situation where they aren't even necessary anymore. Obviously it's a pipe dream to think that, but that's where we should be going.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    So not being content with playing games with Kim...he's now torn up the script and declared the US see Jerusalem as the Israeli capital....wonder how long it'll take for massive fighting there again...plus moving the embassy from Tel Aviv straight away is a risk given the uncertainty around security.
    I actually don't understand this one very well.

Why it needed or didn't need to be done, so I'm hoping someone good explain.

It sounds like an assertive move, but one that is in clear support of Jurusalem and Israel. Is this not something that is saying we support Israel?

If I'm wrong about that then fine Trump made another has move, but if not I like the move to be honest. To openly support and defend Jurusalem and Israel is not a stance I'm against us taking.

We can't let the groups out there dictate the way things are just because we're afraid of making them mad. They don't get to have their way, because what they want is ridiculous and atrocious.

But like I said I don't fully understand exactly what he did or why so if someone can shed some light on that for me I would appreciate it.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

As far as abortion goes, I am totally against late term abortion.

I think we need a new law that says you have to get an abortion within the first trimester.

I really don't even agree with that but I think it is a good compromise.

“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”

― William F. Buckley Jr.

People's Champion

Status

I think we need a new law that says you have to get an abortion within the first trimester.

Completely perfect compromise. That's how it's done here unless the woman's health is at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    I actually don't understand this one very well.

Why it needed or didn't need to be done, so I'm hoping someone good explain.

It sounds like an assertive move, but one that is in clear support of Jurusalem and Israel. Is this not something that is saying we support Israel?

If I'm wrong about that then fine Trump made another has move, but if not I like the move to be honest. To openly support and defend Jurusalem and Israel is not a stance I'm against us taking.

We can't let the groups out there dictate the way things are just because we're afraid of making them mad. They don't get to have their way, because what they want is ridiculous and atrocious.

But like I said I don't fully understand exactly what he did or why so if someone can shed some light on that for me I would appreciate it.
    Im also confused. Who cares what Trump says. Doesn't Isreal decide what their capital is?

Meh

Status

I'm glad to see your being negotiable.

What about later term, if it was a case of life or death for the mother?
    My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity

Status

Completely perfect compromise. That's how it's done here unless the woman's health is at risk.

Im also confused. Who cares what Trump says. Doesn't Isreal decide what their capital is?
    From what I read, he has moved the US embassy in Israel to Jerusalem, and that's what is declaring it as its capital.

And so in this case it's not even Trump, but as president and with everything he says and does, he's representing his country.

But still, as much as I hate him and love to criticize his every move, I can't find anything yet on this one. I think it's good that we are making such an assertive move in support of Jurusalem, and I don't think we should be bullied by Palestine from making such moves.

Jerusalem needs our support. I'm as actually surprised this is Trump making this move, but I think it's one of his better ones.

Thread Information