Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: NXT TakeOver: Toronto - November 19, 2016 - Card & Discussion

Still Kicking It

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: NXT TakeOver: Toronto - November 19, 2016 - Card & Discussion

Agreed, great show from top to bottom and even matches I would dismiss as throwaway matches added to NXT: Toronto in a big way. Tye Dillinger added another dimension to his happy go lucky character and shown some real anger towards Roode. And even though Tye was a curtain jerker, for a second it seemed likely he might take the win. Mickie James vs Asuka had some fierce gamesmanship, but when Asuka got the best of her, it shown on Mickie's face. Mickie tapped out quickly knowing Asuka got in her head. Authors/TM61 even had a nice old school feel to it with Paul being trapped in a cage above the ring, but was far from a passive participant, shouting instructions to his charges and dropped down a chain when things got messy.

I'm intrigued where they go with Joe here. You have three top heels in Rodde, Aries, and Joe, but they don't really have that top babyface to be Joe's serious contender, especially with Hideo on the shelf. Down the road, maybe Aries could be built up as a babyface considering their shared history, but that might be a long way off.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

While this wasn't the best Takeover show if we're going to compare all the shows. This was still a fun watch. I didn't like the Dusty Rhodes classic finals. I loved Dillenger Vs Roode it was a great way to open the show. I'm surprised Joe won the belt back from Nakamura. It's going to be interesting to see where this goes and if either one of them is getting called up soon. I figured Joe would have debut in WWE at Survivor Series or either raw or smack down this week and neither one of them happen.

Status

I've been out of the loop with NXT(recently resubscribed to the network) so this is the first Takeover I've seen in a long time and I had no expectations going in.

I was pretty stoked to hear a Turnstile song being used for the show. So that was a nice little touch I would never have saw coming.

Roode VS Dillinger.
    I've heard Bobby's theme before, but this was my first time seeing him come out to it for a match. I'm indifferent. Especially when Tye came out and got sort of a bigger reaction from the crowd. Now I know they're both Canadian(so they got cheered more than I think they probably would), but not knowing what either guy has been doing recently, I was confused as to who I was supposed to cheer or boo for. Especially throughout the match, which itself was alright, with some decent back and fourth action. Just based on the entrances and the fact that Dillinger has lost almost any match I've ever seen him in, I assumed Roode would win. However I didn't expect him to win with an Edge-DDT.

AOP VS TM61.
    Unlike the opening match, the crowd seemed instantly dead for this. At the time of watching the match, I was really confused why they suspended Ellering above the ring in a shark tank. I assumed he would still be able to help them win, I just didn't know it was to promote the new toy set haha. The match was alright. I did mark out for the nasty head bump Shane took on the apron, so dangerous. I was also shocked when the steel chain got thrown at the fans, that could have ended really badly. All in all, for this being the ending to the Dusty tournament, it seemed unimportant.

#DIY VS Revival.
    This was a rocket buster of a match. Lots of cheesy/hokey face/heel stuff with tons of back and fourth action and the crowd was super into it. There isn't much else to say really. By the time this match was over, I knew I just witnessed the MOTN.

Asuka VS Mickie.
    Without context, I wasn't sure why this match was taking place, or the circumstances involving James being back in a WWE ring. But I enjoyed it for the most part. Asuka seemed like a hard hitting babyface, and the fan all had the masks for her entrance, but then she didn't shake Mickies hand at the end. So does that set up something later, or was the whole thing a one and done showdown?

Joe VS Nakamura.
    The entrance for Shinsuke was pretty stupid in my opinion. But with that drawn out crap out of the way, I enjoyed this match from start to finish. It was almost exactly what I expected. I saw their previous match and I liked this one a little bit better. I was completely surprised however that Joe actually won. I was happy with a win for either guy, but I certainly expected Nak to retain. So it was nice to be surprised for a change. Plus, I like that even though he used the steel steps, it was basically a straight forward win.

All in all, it was a good show. I enjoyed all the matches. The heavyweight title and tag team title matches were easily the bestt of the show. The other matches were just acceptable filler. 6/10

POWERFUL
    RANGERS
    Zero/Silk/Shake
    BlackTiger/HoHo/
    Rogue

Pony Mod

Status
      Country                    Australia

So I worked while Takeover originally aired, then got hit with a fairly bad sickness and could barely watch anything. Look at me, nearly a week late to Takeover Toronto. Ain't I cool.

- GLORIOUS, GLORIOUS, GLORIOUS – how is it that the very first entrance of the night is guaranteed within the first ten second to be the best entrance of the night? Do we have entrance of the year awards? If so, Bobby Roode with a literal choir at his side chanting his theme should be right up there. Goodness gracious, I hope he someday makes it to Wrestlemania just so I can see how he plans to top this entrance.

Roode/Dillinger felt like a classic old-school face/heel showdown. All intensity, all fire, little flashy moves, more strike-laden, less spot-so than you’d expect from modern WWE, and it still worked like a charm to keep the fans entranced, so props to Roode & Dillinger for that. Probably my favorite spot was Roode doing the ‘TEN’ taunt, only for Dillinger to stomp the shit out of his hands and show him how it’s done. Wish Dillinger got a solid victory – godamnit one day he’s going to get that big Takeover win and I’ll mark when it happens – but I’m just happy he got a Takeover appearance that wasn’t jobbing to NXT’s Hottest New Talent TM. Plus he still looked like a star. Awesome opener.

- The fact that locking Paul Ellering inside a shark cage and dangling him above the ring in 2016 feels so bizarre to me. Just ban him from ringside. Lock him in his car. Don’t buy him a plane ticket to Toronto, this is a massive waste of expenses guys, did any of you even attend Financial Planning 101? It doesn’t help that Ellering only started cheating to help the Authors during the semi-finals of the Dusty-Rhodes Tag Classic so this move felt more of a knee-jerk than it’d be if he was a constant interfering presence during the entirety of the Author’s tenure so far.

Man, Nick Miller is crazy-strong, tossing around the Authors like they were cruiserweights. Congrats, Nick, you’re looking slightly less like the Jannety of the team. Little bit less genetic too.

That chain went flying into the audience. Someone’s taking a chain home, assuming they can manage to gently pick it out from between the shattered remains of their teeth.

So, the Tag Classic was probably the weakest match on the card, but that’s not to say it’s bad by any means. I liked it. Showed a little bit more depth for TM61 other than ‘those two Australian guys’, highlighted Thorne as the do-or-die speedster babyface, and Miller as the overlooked powerhouse who can throw big jacked slabs of meat around like they’re nothing. Authors of Pain are some worthy winners and I’m just happy the Tag Classic went to an actual tag team and not two singles stars pairing together for shits and giggles. *side-eyes last year’s Dusty Classic*

- The through-the-ropes-spear-countered-into-Shatter-Machine-because-fuck-you looked absolutely lethal and I’m genuinely surprised The Revival only got one fall off of that one.

Holy hell, that finish felt so awesomely dramatic. Dash and Dawson, trying to hold each other’s hands to not tap while in dual submissions, trapped in the centre of the ring with no leverage to get out of their respective holds, screaming, pleading at each other not to submit, before both tapping out at the same time, together? That’s friendship. That’s togetherness. That’s a shared connection, which a tag team should be all about. What a cinematic masterpiece. The first Dusty Classic is where Revival first began turning heads, taking out the tag champions during the tourney and winning the belts shortly afterwards. The second Dusty Classic is where their number finally gets called, where they’ve run out of tricks, and lose in glorious, cinematic fashion. DIY are fantastic babyfaces, Revival are fucking fantastic heels, five glorious stars. I better see this on some people’s end of year nominations for Match of the Year because it sure as hell is going on mine.

- NOBODY IS READY FOR ASUKA. Impressive win for Asuka. Y’all get try to keep her out of reach all you want, the second she locks in a big move it’s over, no matter how much those ‘veteran instincts’ try to turn it into a pin cover. Micke James looked great, fought valiantly against Asuka, but there was no way Asuka was going to lose here.

Was that a bit of a heel touch by Asuka at the end of the match, refusing the handshake and laughing Mickie off like she was Liv Morgan instead of Mickie godamned James? I can dig the monster Asuka buying into her own hype and becoming more arrogant, causing her own downfall at the hands of Ember Moon/Nikki Cross/Peyton Royce (shut up, let me dream).

- Lol, they played Joe’s old music by mistake. Badass foreboding asskicking tune? Nah, laid-back rap background beat. Joey Samoey’s the first two-time NXT singles Champion, Nakamura’s suffered his first loss at the most critical moment via Kick to the Dick and must now show depths beyond ‘weird-cool Japanese knee-throwing dude who waltz into a championship with ease.’

All in all, a pretty magnificent Takeover. Definitely going to rewatch DIY/Revival, best match on the show and probably one of the best tag matches I've seen yet. Oh, what I wouldn't give for the DIY/Revival rematch to main event the next Takeover.

Sweet Meat

Status

Shane Thorne > Nick Miller by a lot. Way more personality out of the two. Miller is like Roddy 2.0 but bigger.

Also just for correction sake, Ellering started cheating in the quarter finals

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Status

My brother walked into the room and caught part of the TM61 match when he saw the ridiculous shark cage. When he asked about them, my response was,"Another team they brought in from Japan. Miller is a Roderick Strong clone, only with even less charisma."

POWERFUL
    RANGERS
    Zero/Silk/Shake
    BlackTiger/HoHo/
    Rogue

Thread Information