Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WCW 2001: Resurrection

Intercontinental Champion

Status

WCW 2001: Resurrection

We have seen many “What If” scenarios on these boards and on all wrestling boards in general but the biggest “What If” scenario is, what if WCW survived? Not necessarily won the “Monday Night Wars” but just survived?

Well this project is my take on it, my take on if WCW had managed to survive losing the “Monday Night Wars”.

The start of this project will start week 1, June 2001. A full two months after the real closure of WCW. The aim? To survive, build a future for the company and maybe, just maybe, overtake the WWF.

*** Background ***

As the year 2000 was coming to a close, World Championship Wrestling was in trouble. Huge losses, massive hits to ratings/pay-per-view buys and relative chaos backstage marred a wrestling company that was being destroyed by the World Wrestling Federation. The WWF was not the only problem for WCW however, they started the year 2000 with a 3.3 rating for WCW Nitro but then began 2001 with a 2.1 rating. With ratings aside, the looming AOL/Time-Warner sale also threatened to destroy the company as a whole as the rumours are all pointing towards the network wanting to step away from the company, cutting the considerable losses that WCW had been hemorrhaging.

Despite all of this, Eric Bischoff was planning a huge purchase of WCW with the backing of Fusient Media Ventures and it looked like WCW could survive. However, just like the topsy turvy nature of WCW, the offer that they had made (and seemingly had accepted) had to be altered when a big backer of the deal backed out. Eric Bischoff was determined to get “his baby” back but with the funds unavailable, it looked like the deal could be dead in the water. As the months ticked on by and WCW limped from Nitro broadcast to Nitro broadcast, it looked like time would be running out as it was announced that March 26th 2001 would be the final “Monday Night Nitro” on TNT & TBS. With that announcement, Eric Bischoff withdrew his pursuit quoting “take the airtime from WCW and WCW isn’t worth anything”. With that, the countdown was on as WCW looked to be dying a slow death.

That’s when the rumours began to rumble, Vince McMahon was looking to purchase his competition! What would this have in store for wrestling fans? Well nobody would know, nobody would know what would have happened if Vince McMahon had purchased WCW because it never came to fruition. A McMahon DID purchase WCW but that name was SHANE McMahon! It was announced on the final Nitro that Shane McMahon was looking to branch out himself and purchased the company his father had been fighting for years. Did this mean that the war between WCW and WWF was back on? No. Nitro was still cancelled, wrestlers left and a bleak looking future awaited. However what Shane McMahon did bring was drive and a little bit of cash.

With that cash, Shane McMahon was quick to get into negotiations with networks to try and bring WCW Nitro back to TV. However with such poor history in profits, many networks were hesitant, which led to a lot of rejections. After nearly 2 months of negotiations, Shane McMahon finally managed to find a network that agreed to bring WCW back to our televisions, Fox Sports Net. A much smaller network whose range only really touched on the USA and it wasn’t a big reach either. Being described as a “very small” network, the war between WCW and WWF was far from coming back. Not to mention that WCW Nitro was coming back but it wasn’t coming back to Monday nights, it was coming to Wednesday nights, one of the only nights of the week in which WWF programming wasn’t on TV. Nevertheless WCW Nitro was scheduled to come back on Wednesday 6th June 2001.

Nitro airing on Wednesday nights will not be the only thing different for WCW viewers on June 6th. Although Shane McMahon had a certain amount of money, he didn’t have unlimited money and with that came the problem of certain wrestlers being tied to AOL/Time-Warner contracts, too expensive to buy out. Notable names were Sting, Bill Goldberg, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair and Kevin Nash. Names that are synonymous with WCW. This brought a new problem for the company as they had lost a huge amount of star power. The goal now would be to do something that WCW was famous for never doing, make their own stars. Shane McMahon had to be quick to find the right person that could bring something new to not only WCW but also wrestling in general, to make a splash and be charismatic enough to get the locker room on side, which must be at an all-time low right now. Who did Shane McMahon sign up to help him resurrect WCW? It was the man that he stole away from fledgling company UFC, Dana White. Shane managed to lure Dana White into WCW despite talk of the Lorenzo brothers buying the UFC and offering Dana the president position. Nobody knows how Shane managed to persuade Dana over to WCW, however it is known when Dana was brought into the project. Dana reportedly signed the “head booker” contract just after Shane McMahon purchased WCW in March 2001 and also had a big hand in a lot of the early decisions by Shane McMahon which included certain investments for the stability of the company, helping get Nitro onto the Fox Sports Net being one of them. Another addition that Shane McMahon’s influence secured was the partnership with “Warner Bros. Records”. It was a lucrative deal as WCW paid enough money for a selection of past artists and current artists to help record songs for wrestlers entrances and pay-per-views, allowing a vast discography which includes Black Sabbath, R.E.M, Prince and Linkin Park.

Dana and Shane made it quite clear that although they had to “save WCW now” they also had to do something that WCW had never done before, look to the future. Which was Shane McMahon’s credo when he announced the opening of THREE developmental companies, each based in different parts of the United States. The three companies were the “Art of Wrestling”, Legion Pro Wrestling and Outlaw Championship Wrestling. Art of Wrestling (or AoW for short) was based in Phoenix, Arizona, Legion Pro Wrestling (LPW) was based in Chicago, Illinois and Outlaw Championship Wrestling (OCW) was based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The aim? To take advantage of all those wrestling fans crying out for nearby wrestling, which not only brings in revenue but new fans into the WCW umbrella. Another of the aims was to be able to sign a lot of young wrestlers and help get them exposure before bringing them to the “main roster” on Nitro and Underground. Shane McMahon was quick to stress the need to plan for the future of not just the company but for the wrestling business as a whole, quipping that “nobody only wants to see one dominant wrestling company”. Whilst Nitro was off the air and Shane McMahon was enquiring about getting it back on the air, Dana White was secretly holding “try-outs” in which the ones that most impressed him or had the most upside to them, were snapped up to developmental contracts. This meant that WCW could run developmental shows and bring in revenue all the while Nitro wasn’t on the air and with the added bonus of being able to have main roster guys “surprisingly” show up to create buzz also helped.

Running shows for the developmental “brands” was one thing but Dana White was quite quick to push to Shane McMahon that to get these stars “ready for Nitro when it comes back”, they needed TV exposure. The question was how to do that? If you put them on Underground or Nitro too quick they will fade into the distance and it wouldn’t be a good advertisement for other talents they wanted to bring along. The answer was revolutionary for the business but came with a big cost, which basically drained the rest of Shane McMahon’s money, a broadcast that they OWNED. The idea was huge but it was a testament to the vision and drive that both Shane McMahon and Dana White both had for WCW. With a “WCW Network” it meant that they could show the TV shows of their developmental companies and their pay-per-views without having to worry about them being cancelled, allowing them to build everything slowly and get more viewers in. The more viewers = more money coming in. The only problem with the network was the initial cost and it definitely cost, Shane and Dana both put in all of their money. It was a huge risk but it also meant that basically Nitro couldn’t be on the network yet, WCW needed a TV deal to fund the company for the time being much like ECW did before they closed. Another problem was that the network would only be available in the USA and Canada for now, neglecting their audience in the UK and Japan. Of course we now know that WCW managed to get a TV deal but it wouldn’t have been a huge amount of money to start on such a small network and with such small coverage in the USA, however it was a start. In the interview that many have seen now, Shane McMahon was quick to say that if there were other wrestling companies needing exposure then “the network is there”, meaning that New Japan Pro Wrestling could air on “WCWcast” or Stampede Wrestling! The future is bright for the wrestling industry but for that future to stay bright, WCW needed to thrive. Can WCW complete their resurrection into the wrestling world? Or is it too little too late?

*** Format & Guideline ***

This diary will be part TEW 2016 game and half creative writing, by this I mean I will be booking all of this on the game which will help for ratings, attendance records & realistic goals. However I will be using creative writing to spruce up the feuds rather than “A attacked B, match made!” etc. The game will also help out for real life incidents like people leaving the WWF, WCW or retiring.

As for the format, the first two months will be recaps. So the coverage until Bash at the Beach will be recap style and after that it will be show by show. This will allow me to get past the awkward stage of a new show and also allow me to finish the “starter” feuds you get when you boot up a game.

The start will have as much information of this world as possible as over the next few posts I will be detailing the roster, champions, TV shows, pay-per-views and the world in wrestling. I will also be posting a special interview with new WCW owner Shane McMahon to get a real feel on the goals Shane will have for WCW and hopefully any questions you have on the relationship between him and his father.

*** Acknowledgements ***

Well the biggest acknowledgement I have to give is to Big Papa. Not only for the data on TEW 2016 that inspired this diary but also the incredible WCW diaries of the past. Our conversations in the TEW threads spurred this on and inspired me to write down everything I have been doing in TEW. Big Papa also did a majority of the cuts which will be used in this diary.

Also a big thanks to Genadi for the original mod that was tweaked so brilliantly by Big Papa.

Credit also to GCB, Charlemm1 & Big Papa to the different layouts I will be using and tweaking to suit this project. It was all 3 of your different projects and styles that inspired this project and how it is laid out, so in other words, you guys rock.
    Last edited by DarkestEarth; 10-09-2016 at 10:35 AM.

Status

Re: WCW 2001: Resurrection

June 1st 2001

Michael Landsberg: If you like professional wrestling, the first names you would think of are one of two wrestling companies. One of those companies is “World Championship Wrestling” and that company has fallen on hard times lately. Taken off of TNT and losing star talent, things looked bleak for World Championship Wrestling but then came a white knight. A saviour coming from the most unlikely source, their main rivals. Tonight I am talking to that very saviour to find out just why he left his fathers business and what his future plans hold. Last time we saw him on “off the record” he was just getting started but here we are, two years later and I am welcoming the owner of WCW, Shane McMahon.

Shane McMahon: Thank you for having me and also that wonderful introduction.

Michael Landsberg: You are most welcome, this is an interview that many people are interested in including myself. But let’s get down to it and ask the burning question that everyone wants to know, why did you leave your fathers business and buy his most hated rivals?

Shane McMahon: I wouldn’t call WCW my fathers most “hated rivals”, they were just rivals and for all intents and purpose, that rivalry has subsided. The WWF won the Monday Night Wars and right now they are the kings of wrestling and I know for a fact that that was all my father wanted. He just wanted to be number one, he didn’t want to put anyone out of business.

Michael Landsberg: But WCW’s goal WAS to put the WWF out of business and also whether he meant to or not, your father DID put WCW out of business until you gave it an extra life?

Shane McMahon: Merely a victim of war, in a competition there will always be a winner and a loser. I think with that way of thinking, me buying WCW is just me buying a wrestling company, nothing more and nothing less.

Michael Landsberg: What did your father think when you told him you was leaving the WWF and taking over WCW?

Shane McMahon: I know my father and I know that he is proud of me for putting myself out there. He took a risk when he aimed to take the WWF from being a territory to the premier wrestling promotion in the country. Well I am really just taking a business risk and looking to make another wrestling company a success. My father is the one person in the entire world that can understand that. I think everyone at the WWF, and especially my father, understand that I wanted to branch out and show my own business acumen.

Michael Landsberg: Was there any hard feelings? Especially when your destination was revealed?

Shane McMahon: Not at all, in fact I think it brings a new dynamic on the WWF’s relationship with WCW and vice versa.

Michael Landsberg: Yes lets tackle the relationship between the two companies, surely wanting to make it big as a businessman you want WCW to become the number 1 wrestling company. Won’t that mean taking on the WWF and trying to beat them once again?

Shane McMahon: Well I think there is room for something different. In all mediums in life there is no one “be all and end all”, there are different options. We want to be the best but only for the fans that watch us. There doesn’t need to be another “war” or fight for the top. The WWF and WCW will essentially have NO relationship but nobody will be poached from either company. Can there be negotiations between the two companies? I think there can be room for that but we won’t be looking to put each other out of business.

Michael Landsberg: So why did you pick WCW? Out of all the wrestling companies, you chose the one wrestling show that your father has been struggling with his whole career? Why not save ECW? Or start a brand new wrestling promotion?

Shane McMahon: I did think about the option of starting a brand new wrestling company but in the end, WCW was dying. What you must remember is that to me WCW has been in my life since I could remember, whether it was good or bad. Seeing it die so slowly wasn’t satisfying to me, I just saw another outlet for something I am passionate about disappearing. I felt that the world needed to see more from WCW, that WCW had more to give but just needed to get away from its past troubles. ECW had its time, its audience and its helpers. It failed despite all of this and it had such a small part of a grander image that bringing them back would have just diluted what they achieved. Also there is only one man that can bring ECW back and I am not that man.

Michael Landsberg: Paul Heyman?

Shane McMahon: I would say so, that was his baby.

Michael Landsberg: Whilst working for your father, you were an onscreen character as well as helping backstage. Can we expect that again?

Shane McMahon: That’s not the plan, I might pop up once in a while but my main objective will be running the whole company. I don’t think the WCW audience needs to see me week in and week out. Mostly I am in charge of paying the bills and moving us forward, with Dana White taking care of the rest. I don’t think owning the company allows me an impartial view on how the show is run so I am practically taking myself out of the situation.

Michael Landsberg: Moving on from yours and WCW’s relationship with your family and the WWF. Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash, Sting, Scott Steiner, Bill Goldberg, Rey Mysterio…these are six of the biggest and well known stars that WCW has ever had. With WCW looking to take steps forward, you find that most of your well-known names are unavailable. Why this and what is are your plans around this?

Shane McMahon: Well when I bought WCW from AOL, I sunk a lot of money into the company and I was left with a few choices. The stars you have named have “blockbuster” contracts which are owned by AOL themselves, blockbuster contacts that are simply out of our reach financially. We have tried negotiating with AOL but they have a strong stance, which they have every right to, on the cost of the contracts. It leaves us with little choice but to wait for the contracts to run their course and evaluate at that time our next step. As for now, we have a lot of great talent who now find themselves with a huge opportunity to make themselves as big stars as those names. I know that Dana (White) is excited to begin and I am excited to see what he and the roster comes up with.

Michael Landsberg: Rewind slightly, you say that they were “out of your reach financially”. Many will question that if you couldn’t afford some of the stars that guarantee an audience back, then why did you spend so much money on THREE new companies and the WCW network as their home?

Shane McMahon: Listen, anybody that thinks buying someone like Kevin Nash out of his contract is comparable to opening a developmental company should listen to this part of the interview. We opened the three developmental companies for the future of not only World Championship Wrestling but also the wrestling business itself. That is three new places for young wrestlers to hone their craft with a gateway to one of the most well-known wrestling companies in the world. Three different locations which also allow young wrestlers to be discovered whilst also not meaning you have to grow up in a certain part of the country. That is one part, another part is the financial income that will come from at least three extra shows a week. More ticket sales, more merchandise, bigger audience, all coming to us and helping us grow. Thirdly, it secures the future roster and the future stars for WCW itself. We have already had trials and signed a bunch of young and exciting talent to fill the shows and to groom into stars for us. That is why three new companies was a much better option than buying any of those stars from their contracts.

Michael Landsberg: A good and concise argument, what about the revolutionary WCW network?

Shane McMahon: Well it is another way for us to create stability for not just us but for the wrestling industry as a whole. It may start small but one day it could be a hub for all wrestling fans as we are looking to give every wrestling fan something different. Right now, it is the home for the Art of Wrestling, Legion Pro Wrestling and Outlaw Championship Wrestling TV shows which allows anybody to keep up with them. You can see the future of WCW and the entire wrestling world before anybody else but we are not just looking to have them, we welcome any wrestling company out there looking for somewhere to show their TV shows! We want each and every wrestling fan out there to get something from the WCWcast.

Michael Landsberg: So how will people be able to tune into “WCWcast”?

Shane McMahon: Well we have partnered up with the TiVo service which allows us to have a channel called “WCWcast”. On there you will find all programming from AoW, LPW & OCW along with WCW Underground, our smaller broadcast, and re-runs of old WCW programming which will be decided by the audience. What I mean by that is if you go onto WCW.com/cast there will be timeslots and those timeslots will all have polls on old WCW programming, whether that be old episodes of Nitro, Thunder or pay-per-views. That way you can decide what to watch before watching AoW TV on a Tuesday night at 8pm or LPW All Together on a Thursday night at 8pm or OCW No Holds Barred on a Friday night at 8pm. We also have WCW Underground on a Saturday night at 8pm on the WCWcast whilst WCW Nitro will be on Wednesday nights at 8pm on Fox Sports Net. So there is a lot of WCW content to keep our audience happy and willing to pay the $8 a month subscription fee.

Michael Landsberg: Will WCW Nitro or WCW pay-per-views be on there?

Shane McMahon: I’m afraid WCW Nitro won’t be on WCWcast for the time being. The reason for that is that we have signed a deal with Fox Sports Net and we are seeing that contract to the end. As for WCW pay-per-views, you will be able to find them on the WCWcast as well as on Comcast. WCW Underground will also be on WCWcast as a network only show. We also have plans on “live specials” from time to time that will only be available on the WCWcast, we don’t have any ready to announce but they will be coming.

Michael Landsberg: You recently also announced that WCW has signed a deal with Warner Brothers Records, what does this mean for WCW?

Shane McMahon: It’s not really news that a wrestling company has licenced music is it? If there is one thing I thought was a huge difference between WWF and WCW was that WWF had great songs for pay-per-views, entrance themes, television, everything. WCW on the other hand had a few good songs but really a lot of them were really generic. Nothing about the new WCW should be generic and that is why we have signed this deal but Warner Bros records isn’t the only one, we also have a couple of smaller record deals with Roadrunner Records and Megaforce Records.

Michael Landsberg: What about artists that aren’t part of those record labels? Are they completely off limits then?

Shane McMahon: Well that all depends…

Michael Landsberg: On what?

Shane McMahon: How badly we want a song (laughing), we are not blind and we understand the wrestling scene around us. With ECW gone and wrestlers all over the place on the independent scene, songs are used by different artists and if someone uses the same song everywhere, then we will have to think about if we want to continue that. If a wrestler is known for having a certain song then we want the transition into WCW to be smooth for fans. Same as if we have a vision for a wrestler to have a certain song and they are not on those labels, we will look into the financial picture for it. As for now, with three great record label contracts in place, we have some great songs and artists at our disposal. One thing that will be happening is all these “rip off” songs will be gone, we will either get the original song or they will have a brand new song. A “rip off” song is not good for business.

Michael Landsberg: So we are just a few days, 5 to be exact, before the re-surface of WCW Nitro. Wednesday night, 8pm on the Fox Sports Net. Are you ready?

Shane McMahon: Well as ready as you can be! I think we have the start of something big, we have a great roster of young, hungry wrestlers that want to prove everyone wrong that remembers what WCW was showing its audience in the last couple of years. It’s already a bit different thanks to being on Wednesday nights but everybody will see what we have planned, I’m excited. Tune in, you will fall in love with wrestling again.

Michael Landsberg: That’s a big statement. Shane it has been a pleasure. Best of luck with World Championship Wrestling and the WCW network, I for one will be tuning into Nitro on Wednesday night, June 6th, 8pm on Fox Sports Net.
    Last edited by DarkestEarth; 10-05-2016 at 04:22 PM.

Status

Owner: Shane McMahon
    Head Booker: Dana White
    Based: Orlando, Florida
    Formed: 1988
    Finances: £5,000,000
    Style: The New Modern
    Size: Cult
    Figurehead: Booker T

Production

Production Values: Professional
    Live Event Experience: Professional
    Broadcast Quality: In House
    Music: Warner Bros. Records, Roadrunner Records, Megaforce Records, Jim Johnston
    Main Bands: Slipknot, Linkin Park, Skindred & Jim Johnston
    Distribution: DVD/Home Video

Investments

WCWcast

Established: June 2001
    Coverage: USA – Small coverage, Canada – Small coverage

WCW Powerplant

Based: Miami, Florida
    Head Trainer: Bruno Sammartino
    Emphasis: General Training

Art of Wrestling

Based: Phoenix, Arizona
    Founded: June 2001
    CEO: Bill Dundee
    Head Booker: James J. Dillon
    Schedule: Touring February to May, July to November
    TV Shows: AOW TV – Wednesday nights on WCWcast
    AOW World Heavyweight champion: Yun Yang (1) [4] [defeated Mark Jindrak; August 2001]
    AOW Television champion: Joey Matthews (1) [2] [defeated Brian Kendrick; August 2001]
    AOW International Tag Team champions: Pantheon (1) [7]

* (number of reigns) [times retained title] *

Legion Pro Wrestling

Based: Chicago, Illinois
    CEO: Steve Keirn
    Head Booker: Ace Steel
    Schedule: Touring March to June, October to December
    TV Shows: LPW No Holds Barred – Thursday nights on WCWcast
    LPW Triple Crown champion: Evan Karagias (1) [6]
    LPW Television champion: Chase Stevens (1) [6]
    LPW National Tag Team champions: Colt Cabana & Samoa Joe (1) [4]

Outlaw Championship Wrestling

Based: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    CEO: Tom Pritchard
    Head Booker: Tom Pritchard
    Schedule: Touring March to June, October to December
    TV Shows: OCW At Dawn – Monday nights on WCWcast
    OPW Heavyweight champion: Chuck Palumbo (1) [3]
    OPW Transcontinental champion: Matt Sydal (1) [7]
    OPW Saloon Tag Team champions: Roderick Strong & Paul Lloyd (1) [4]

Relationships

NWA Wildside

Based: South East, USA
    Owner: Bill Behrens
    Relationship: Working Agreement

World Wrestling Federation

Based: Stamford, Connecticut
    Owner: Vince McMahon
    Relationship: Non-Aggression
    Last edited by DarkestEarth; 02-10-2017 at 09:45 PM.

Status

[As a warning, this post WILL be updated as the project goes along. Those that wish to be unspoiled, should skip this post.]

WCW Champions

Last edited by DarkestEarth; 01-31-2017 at 07:02 PM.

Status

WCW Roster

• Bam Bam Bigelow [+]
    • Booker T [+] – “Rap Sheet” by Rene De Wael & Didier Leglise
    • Chavo Guerrero Jnr [-] – “Nobody” by Skindred
    Curt Hennig [-] – “Perfection" sampled from WWF Music
    • Diamond Dallas Page [+] – “Smells Like Teen Spirit” by Nirvana
    • Disqo [+] – “Boogie Knights Theme” by Jimmy Hart & Howard Helm
    • D’Lo Brown [+] – “No More Mr Nice Guy” by Alice Cooper
    • Dustin Rhodes [+] – “The Natural” by Jimmy Hart & Howard Helm
    • Ernest “The Cat” Miller [+]
    – “Screamin'” by Jimmy Hart & Howard Helm
    • Fit Finlay [+] – “Scattered” by Jimmy Hart & Howard Helm
    • Haku [-]
    • Hugh Morrus [+] – “Rec.” by Jimmy Hart & Howard Helm
    • Jason Jett [-]
    • Johnny Stamboli [-]
    • Kanyon [-] – “Kanyon” by Jimmy Hart & Howard Helm
    • Kaz Hayashi [-] – “If You Still Hate Me” by Il Nino
    • Kidman [+] – “Kidman Theme” by Jimmy Hart & Howard Helm
    • Konnan [+] – “Bow Wow Wow” by Rey Mysterio & Konnan
    • Kwee Wee [+]
    • Lance Storm [-] – “The Court” by Slipknot*
    • Masato Tanaka [+] - "T.N.T" by AC/DC
    • Mike Awesome [-] – “The Court” by Slipknot*
    • Mike Sanders [-] – “Hang Ten” by Jimmy Hart & Howard Helm
    • Norman Smiley [+] – “Screamin’” by Jimmy Hart & Howard Helm
    • Raven [-] – “Wait & Bleed” by Slipknot
    • Rick Steiner [-] – “Dog Pound” by Jimmy Hart & Howard Helm
    • Road Warrior Animal [-] – “Animal Theme Mix 2” by Jimmy Hart & Howard Helm
    • Rob Van Dam [+] – “In My World” by Anthrax
    • Shane Douglas [-] – “Perfect Strangers” by Deep Purple & Shane Douglas
    • Shane Helms [+] – “Jump” by Van Halen
    • Tajiri [+] – “T.I.W” by Harry Slash & The Slashtones
    • Tommy Dreamer [+] – “Man In A Box” by Alice in Chains

*: A WCW exclusive song.

Authority

• Shane McMahon – WCW Owner

Managers

• Beulah McGillicuty [manager for her husband Tommy Dreamer & Dustin Rhodes]
    • Dawn Marie [advocate for the Court]
    • Leia Meow [currently managing Kaz Hayashi]
    • Midajah [currently just a backstage interviewer]
    • Paisley [currently managing Booker T]
    • Stacy Keibler
    • Torrie Wilson [currently managing Chavo Guerrero]

Broadcast Team

• Joey Styles [Nitro]
    • Larry Zybszko [Nitro]
    • Mike Tenay [Nitro]
    • Scott Hudson [Underground]
    • Tony Schiavone [Underground]

Tag Teams
    Grumpy Vet's - Road Warrior Animal & Rick Steiner
    • Malicious Intent - Dustin Rhodes & Tommy Dreamer
    Smiley Cat - Norman Smiley & Ernest "The Cat" Miller
    • The Court - Lance Storm & Mike Awesome

Stables
    • The Court - Raven (Leader), Curt Hennig, Lance Storm, Mike Awesome & Dawn Marie
    Last edited by DarkestEarth; 02-16-2017 at 12:02 PM.

Status

WCW Developmental Rosters

Art of Wrestling

• Austin Aries
    • BJ Whitmer
    • Brian Adams
    • Brian Kendrick
    • Bryan Clark
    • Christian York
    • Cody Hawk
    • Jamie Knoble
    • Joey Matthews
    • John Cena
    • Kenny Omega
    • Mark Jindrak
    • Nigel McGuinness
    • Paul London
    • PUMA [TJ Perkins]
    • Sean O’Haire
    • Sonjay Dutt
    • Yun Yang

Legion Pro Wrestling

• Andy Douglas
    • Bobby Roode
    • Bryan Danielson
    • Chad Wicks
    • Chase Stevens
    • Chris Hero
    • Christopher Daniels
    • Claudio Castagnoli
    • CM Punk
    • Colt Cabana
    • Evan Kargarias
    • Harry Smith
    • Homicide
    • Jushin Liger
    • Kevin Steen
    • Samoa Joe
    • Shannon Moore
    • Shawn Hernandez
    • Sonny Siaki
    • Steve Corino
    • TAKA Michinoku
    • TJ Wilson

Outlaw Championship Wrestling

• Air Paris
    • AJ Styles
    • Chris Harris
    • Chuck Palumbo
    • C.W. Anderson
    • Doug Williams
    • Jack Evans
    • James Storm
    • Jay Briscoe
    • Mark Briscoe
    • Matt Sydal
    • Paul Lloyd
    • Roderick Strong
    • Simon Diamond
    Last edited by DarkestEarth; 02-02-2017 at 05:23 PM.

Status

WCW Shows

TV

Wednesday nights on Fox Sports Net
    Theme:
    Length: 2 hours

Friday nights on WCWcast
    Theme:
    Length: 1 hour

Pay Per Views

Live Specials
    Last edited by DarkestEarth; 02-02-2017 at 05:56 PM.

Status

World Wrestling Federation

Size: National
    Ranking: 1st
    Owner: Vince McMahon
    Booker: Stephanie McMahon
    Founded: December 1963
    Style: Attitude Entertainment
    Prestige: A
    Momentum: B+
    Figurehead: Stone Cold “Steve Austin”
    Top 5 Stars: The Rock, Triple H, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho

New Japan Pro Wresting

Ranking: 3rd
    Owner: Antonio Inoki
    Booker: Riki Chosu
    Founded: December 1972
    Style: Inoki’s Puro
    Prestige: B-
    Momentum: C+
    Figurehead: None
    Top 5 Stars: Kensuke Sasaki, Masahiro Chono, Keji Mutoh, Jushin “Thunder” Liger, Toshiaki Kawada

Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre

Ranking: 4th
    Owner: Francisco Lutteroth
    Booker: Francisco Lutteroth
    Founded: December 1933
    Style: Lucha Traditional
    Prestige: B-
    Momentum: B-
    Top 5 Stars: Negro Casas, Dr Wagner Jnr, Atlantis, La Parka, Blue Demon Jnr

Pro Wrestling NOAH

Size: National
    Ranking: 5th
    Owner: Mitsuharu Misawa
    Booker: Mitsuharu Misawa
    Founded: November 1999
    Style: Traditional Puro Resu
    Prestige: D+
    Momentum: C
    Top 5 Stars: Mitsuharu Misawa, Kenta Kobashi, Jun Akiyama, Yoshihiro Takayama, Akira Taue
    Last edited by DarkestEarth; 10-05-2016 at 04:39 PM.

Status

World Championship Wrestling

The Return

June 2001

The Right Man To Lead

WCW Nitro debuted on Wednesday 6th June 2001 and the very first segment of the “new era of WCW” was Shane McMahon stepping in front of the 15,684 people inside the St Pete Times Forum in Tampa Florida. The former WWF star welcomed everybody to the “new beginning” and told everyone that with a new beginning came new champions and it is his pleasure to announce a special tournament to crown a new champion for one of the most prestigious championships in wrestling today, the United States championship. Shane was about to continue with the details when Jeff Jarrett came walking out, all smiles as he joined Shane in the ring. Jarrett explains that the reason he is so happy is because he and Shane McMahon were “great friends” in the WWF and now they are re-united, he can’t wait for Shane to name him the “leader of the new era” and to also reward him with the WCW World Heavyweight championship. Jeff reiterated what Shane said (that new beginnings came with new champions) and explained that seeing as Booker T “left the US championship in the dust” then surely we need to crown a new World champion?

Shane was about to answer when Booker T’s music blared and the crowd gave a good cheer as he walked out with the championship around his waist. Decked in a suit, Booker T shook Shane’s hand before telling Jeff Jarrett that he never left the US championship in the dust but agreed with Shane’s decision that the WCW World Heavyweight championship deserved his full attention whilst the US championship deserved someone else’s full attention. Booker is quick to say that he loves the US championship and that he is honoured to be in the annals of the history of such a great championship, even going as far as to say that he wouldn’t be World champion if it wasn’t for it. However, Booker WILL NOT relinquish the WCW World Heavyweight championship and will defend this belt against anybody that wants to challenge him, that IS what Jeff is doing right now isn’t it? Before Jeff was able to shout Booker down, Shane got in between them and said that he thinks that seeing as this is the first WCW Nitro then maybe a blockbuster main event like…Shane wasn’t able to finish as the man being billed on the commentary desk as the “Guardian of WCW” Diamond Dallas Page came walking out. DDP was quick to say that being handed opportunities was a symbol of the WCW of old and that he wants Shane to prove that this “new era” was in fact that, by making DDP versus Jeff Jarrett for the opportunity to face Booker T at Great American Bash on July 1st 2001.

Shane, of course, agreed to the match and the first segment on the new Nitro ended with DDP, Booker T & Jeff Jarrett staring each other down. Over the course of an hour and a half, DDP and Jeff Jarrett laid it out on the line as to why they should face Booker T and how they will beat each other. This left the first main event of the new show being DDP and Jeff Jarrett with Booker T on the announce desk with Joey Styles, Mike Tenay and Larry Zybszko. For the next 15 minutes, DDP and Jeff Jarrett fought across the ring whilst Booker T put across believable arguments for why each man deserves a shot. DDP looked like he had the match sewn up when he ducked a tired right hand from Jarrett before hitting the Diamond Cutter! However just before he could hook the leg, the arena went dark with the caws of a crow, causing DDP to stare at the stage. The lights came back up and Raven was standing on the stage, staring down at Diamond Dallas Page. This was all the distraction Jeff needed as he grabbed DDP from behind and hit “The Stroke” before wrenching the leg and getting the 3 count! Jarrett began to celebrate like crazy as Raven slowly walked down to the ring and pulled DDP out of the ring by his leg. For DDP, the first Nitro of the new era will be forever remembered as the night he was screwed out of a WCW World title shot and then ending the night with a brutal beating by Raven, which ended with being powerbombed through a table. All the while that was happening however, Booker T & Jeff Jarrett were engaging in a staredown and they were the image that ended the first show.

The second Nitro started with Jeff Jarrett & Booker T standing in the middle of the ring, Booker with the championship in the air. Jeff promised to beat Booker and prove that he isn’t “fit to lead the new generation” whilst Booker pointed out that Jeff was indicative of an era “shrouded in controversy”. They didn’t come to blows, well that was until later on in the night when Booker T teamed up with friend Dustin Rhodes against Road Warrior Animal & Rick Steiner. Booker T was the man to get the winning pin in that match but whilst he celebrated with Dustin Rhodes, Jeff Jarrett slid into the ring guitar in hand and he smashed it over the champion. Dustin Rhodes looked like he was about to save Booker, when Jarrett swung the guitar neck and hit Dustin too. This left Jeff Jarrett standing tall with the WCW World Heavyweight championship lifted in the air. The attack from that week had consequences the week after as Dustin Rhodes demanded a match against Jeff Jarrett. Dustin wanted revenge for the attack the week prior and he was physically vicious with his fighting style with Jarrett. It wasn’t enough though as Jarrett managed to hit “The Stroke” and pin Dustin Rhodes before standing tall over him to end another Nitro, hardly any interaction between Booker & Jarrett on this show. The rumour mill span widely for that week as the questions on whether the two were clashing backstage and that was the reason for this strange week, the other rumour being that Booker was nursing an injury and that was why he had a minimal presence on the show.

Whether either of those was true, Booker T and Jeff Jarrett were the main focus of the “go-home” Nitro before Great American Bash. The show spent a lot of its time hyping up the main event segment which was going to be a final confrontation between the two. This “final confrontation” was Booker T & Jeff Jarrett standing in the ring and explaining exactly why they are the best WCW has to offer and why they should be “the face of the new era”. Jeff Jarrett’s reasoning was that he was the easiest star here to bank on, he has been in main events a lot longer than Booker and he has beaten some of the best of the business. He also argues that Booker T only got where he was due to “lack of star power” and would never have won the WCW World Heavyweight championship if someone bigger was around, he can be/is that “bigger star”. Booker cut him off and told him that he got the World championship because he worked harder than everyone, including Jeff! Booker accused Jeff of relying on his friendship with Vince Russo to get him championships and main events against some of the best, whereas he fought to be at the top. “This is a new era, not a recycling of the old” was Booker’s shot at Jarrett. Jarrett got into the face of Booker and told him through gritted teeth that he knows he will beat Booker T at Great American Bash because he is the best that WCW has to offer, whilst Booker is only a place-holder until someone like Jeff comes along and shows him for the fraud that he is! Jarrett looks to leave but Booker tells Jeff that Booker may be a place-holder but HE is the best wrestler in WCW and at Great American Bash, he proves that Jeff is all talk, whether it is backstage or in the ring. Booker promises to all the fans that when Nitro is at the Island Grove Rodeo Arena, he will STILL be the WCW World Heavyweight champion and will have proved that Jeff Jarrett was nothing more than a fraud! This brought Jeff back into the ring and they went nose to nose as Booker raised the championship in the air, Joey Styles being the one to have the last statement of “the new era of WCW is solidified at Great American Bash but who will lead it?”

Rising Star Tournament & US Undisputed Champion

The first Nitro segment may have ended up being all about Booker T, Jeff Jarrett & Diamond Dallas Page but before Jeff had interrupted Shane McMahon, he had already announced some sort of tournament. Well Shane was walking backstage when interviewer Midajah managed to chase him and ask him about the tournament announcement. Shane revealed that a new yearly tournament called the “Rising Star” tournament will start tonight and the prize for the first ever tournament, was the vacant United States championship. Shane walked off and after coming back from the first run of adverts Joey Styles, Larry Zybszko and Mike Tenay had a graphic and quickly ran through the people in the tournament. The first round stated who was eligible as it seemed nearly everyone was eligible with matches such as Tajiri versus Kaz Hayashi, Mike Awesome versus Disqo, D’Lo Brown versus Kwee Wee and Lance Storm versus Norman Smiley.

The only thing of note that happened in the first round was Dustin Rhodes being cost his chance against Hugh Morrus by the “Franchise” Shane Douglas. Which meant the first two Nitro’s were dominated by matches for the tournament, with the obvious winners normally qualifying for the next round. It was the third Nitro in which the true contenders took shape as Tommy Dreamer defeated Shawn Stasiak, D’Lo Brown defeating Hugh Morrus, Lance Storm submitting Fit Finlay in a classic wrestling bout and finally Rob Van Dam managing to overcome the daunting Mike Awesome. During the same Nitro, the first promos about winning the tournament revealed the true intentions of the final four wrestlers, even with a brief staredown by Lance Storm and Tommy Dreamer. A match was made for the final Nitro as all four men were put into a final tag team match.

The go-home show for these four allowed them to explain their reasoning before leading into the tag match. D’Lo Brown was first when he told everyone that he had come to WCW after failing to stand at the top of the mountain at the WWF. It spurred D’Lo on however as he tells us he is determined to get to the top of the mountain here and it will start with winning the US championship but also the “Rising Star” tournament, which will signify his star rising. When talking about his opponents, D’Lo said he could beat all of them and will prove that when he beats Rob Van Dam and then beats whoever is in the final. D’Lo’s tag team partner was Lance Storm and Storm explained himself by telling all four men that he is the best WRESTLER in WCW and with a championship as prestigious as the United States championship, the best wrestler should be holding it. Storm promises that he will be that wrestler and he will go down in history as the greatest United States champion in history. Storm says he doesn’t care what any of the others have to say because he will be the one walking out as the United States champion.

This left Rob Van Dam & Tommy Dreamer, the two ECW alumni. Rob Van Dam quickly took people into history as he reminded everyone that he was the longest TV champion in ECW history, holding the title for well over a year and only relinquishing it because of injury. “The United States championship needs a champion like that”, RVD promises that he will beat anyone that is in front of him but also anybody that thinks they will be able to take that US title away from him. Promising to bring the “Whole Damn Show” into the US title history. Dreamer on the other hand took the tact that winning the tournament and the championship will prove that he deserves to be in WCW. Despite proclaiming that if ECW was still in business, he would be there, he is here now and he will take this place by storm and prove that ECW wasn’t just about a bingo hall. Dreamer will prove that he should be here and not only that but he will lead the United States championship into great matches, with perhaps a hardcore element involved. Despite these promos, RVD & Dreamer shook hands backstage and proclaimed that they “will show what ECW was truly made of”.

Those promos may have hyped the match on Sunday but there was still a tag team match between the four. The ECW alumni team of Tommy Dreamer and Rob Van Dam were taken to the limit by Lance Storm and D’Lo Brown which allowed for what many called a “fantastic tag match”. The blend of chaos, mat based wrestling and high flying action worked perfectly with the styles of all four men, even allowing for Tommy Dreamer to display his brawling talents without relying on weapons. Believable near falls and submission attempts kept the crowd on the edges of their seat as the finale of the match saw RVD and D’Lo Brown the legal men in the ring. Storm and Dreamer were currently fighting it out on the outside when Storm dodged a dropkick and locked in the sharpshooter on the outside! Dreamer screamed in pain as the crowd watched RVD fly over the top rope onto both men to break up the submission! RVD drank in the cheers before sliding into the ring and then turning into the Sky High which allowed for D’Lo to hook the leg and end the 17 minutes and 33 second match. Despite the match being over though, the fight continued as Storm slid into the ring and threw punches at his own tag team partner D’Lo Brown. D’Lo fought but after throwing a wild right hand, found himself taken down to the mat with an arm bar by the technical specialist Lance Storm. It wasn’t locked in for long though as Dreamer dropped his elbow down onto the head of Storm. Dreamer was about to continue his attack when the ring littered with staff members and referees and they separated all four men into separate corners, all of whom were trying their best to break off and continue the fight. Joey Styles was quick to declare that the United States championship means everything to all four men and on Sunday we find out just who wants it more!

You Are the Final Remnant

As has been briefly noted before, on the first Nitro back in the “new era” Diamond Dallas Page faced Jeff Jarrett with the winner earning a WCW World Heavyweight championship match at Great American Bash. Jeff Jarrett won that match but only when the caws of Raven’s music hit which took DDP’s attention. Allowing Jarrett to hit “The Stroke” for the win and Raven had cost DDP a chance at the World Heavyweight championship but Ravens actions didn’t end there that night as he brutally attacked DDP and smashed him through a table, before standing tall whilst the cameras focused on Booker & Jarrett.

The brutal attack caused DDP to be unable to appear on the next Nitro which gave Raven all the time in the world to explain why he attacked DDP. Standing in the middle of the Nitro ring, Raven explained that in “the old WCW” Raven was ignored, forgotten to many as people like Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash and Diamond Dallas Page. Hogan and Nash were gone, finally forgotten like they should be but DDP is the “last remnant of undeserving stars being celebrated in WCW”. Raven explained that with the new WCW, Raven will dominate and earn his rightful place in the history of WCW as the greatest wrestler to walk around these damn halls! Raven promised that when DDP came back, he will leave him beaten and bloody as the past becomes nothing more than a bloody stain on the WCW ring that will be washed away, just like DDP’s career will be! This passionate speech by Raven floated around the internet and teletext, being cited as one of the best in years and caused a lot of fans to tune in to the next Nitro hoping for a response from DDP.

They would be disappointed, a negative by WCW’s booking as many felt it would have been a great way to take advantage of the talk around the company. Instead Diamond Dallas Page didn’t turn up and instead Raven beat Norman Smiley in a standard match. After the match however Raven grabbed Smiley and lifted him onto the announce desk and slamming him down and through it with the DDT before posing on the top rope. It looked like the segment was about to end when Raven grabbed the microphone and screamed down the microphone whether DDP was in the building or anyone else that “represents Raven’s dark history in this stupid company” and that “at Great American Bash, I will force you to stare in my eyes as your career finally fails you”. Raven then tore apart the fact that DDP hadn’t shown up and that he had robbed the fans in attendance and watching at home from hearing what he has to say to Raven. Raven screamed that he wanted DDP in a match at Great American Bash, where he will really put DDP on the shelf! Slamming down the microphone, Raven had done it again. The passionate promo continued to light a fire under fans watching but the rumour circulating was that Raven hadn’t been scheduled to speak that night, just win the match and that’s it. If this is true then Raven had “gone off script” and cut into other segments due to the tight time constraints, affecting the time Dustin Rhodes and Shane Douglas had for their feud. The thought was that whilst Shane McMahon and Dana White wanted to make it known that an incident like this was a punishable offence, they loved the promo that Raven cut and were a lot more lenient. Raven was still punished though, fined $2000 for the offence.

The confrontation finally happened on the “go home” show of Nitro before Great American Bash. Diamond Dallas Page was the first one out, asking if everyone had missed him and then continuing by saying that he had been out for the last couple of weeks recovering the brutal sneak attack by Raven. Determined to get across his point, DDP replayed the attack as DDP was put face first through a table. “Well at Great American Bash, you won’t be attacking me from behind Raven!” DDP yelled as his passion started to leak through his words. With tears of passion welling in his eyes, DDP stared at the camera and roared that Raven will learn on Sunday that DDP is NOT just a relic from WCW’s past but the gatekeeper of WCW’s future. “You want to be big here?! Then you have to go through ME! And buddy, you pissed off the wrong guy!”. That was when Raven had heard enough and he came sauntering out. They got into each other’s face before Raven told DDP that whilst he was staying at home, Raven said everything he needed to say and that tonight Raven is here to fight! Raven then slapped DDP across the face, wiping the smile off his face. Raven smirked at DDP’s rage but it wasn’t for long as DDP suddenly dove with the Diamond Cutter!! The crowd roared their approval as DDP screamed as Raven in frustration and rage, ending the segment with the words “at Great American Bash, YOU will be on the shelf!”

Undeserving of Legacy

Shane Douglas has always been known as the “Franchise” but despite that, Shane Douglas’ name was inexplicably missing from the names in the “Rising Star” tournament. Something that Douglas did not take lightly, especially when he saw that Dustin Rhodes was facing Hugh Morrus in the tournament. Citing it as an “easy draw for someone undeserving”, Douglas interfered in the Hugh Morrus and Dustin Rhodes match, costing Dustin the match. Douglas didn’t just interfere though, he slammed Dustin down with the Pittsburgh Plunge before walking to the back, looking clearly frustrated. This allowed Hugh Morrus to cover for the win and Dustin was eliminated from the tournament. There were a few shots backstage of Shane Douglas tearing the place apart and yelling things like “disrespect” and “prove I’m the franchise” before Dustin Rhodes rushed into the scene to try and fight Douglas. Douglas was too high strung though and took advantage before slamming his knee into Dustin’s face whilst it was place against a wall. This left the worry that Dustin had been injured at the hands of Douglas on a show that DDP had already been injured by Raven.

The next week however Dustin Rhodes was not only on Nitro but was teaming with the World Heavyweight champion in a match against the “Grumpy Vet’s”, Road Warrior Animal and Rick Steiner. Other than a comment about how he wanted to win the US championship and was annoyed that he went out so early, Dustin seemed to ignore the events of last week. Something that infuriated Shane Douglas as he grabbed a microphone backstage before the main event and demanded that people listen to him and respect him. Douglas cites the fact that he was negated from the “Rising Star” tournament and a chance at the US championship but also that Dustin Rhodes has brushed him off! Douglas promised that this wasn’t the last that Dustin Rhodes or any of us had heard from him. Dustin Rhodes on the other hand had a brief brush with Jeff Jarrett including being hit over the head with a guitar, leading to the main event of the next weeks show against Jeff Jarrett.

With Dustin Rhodes already scheduled in the main event, Shane Douglas’ anger grew and once again he found a microphone. Douglas practically screamed that he had already spoken to Shane McMahon and at Great American Bash, whether he wants to ignore him or not, Shane Douglas will beat respect into Dustin Rhodes! Dustin was then shown in the background walking, smirked at Douglas and walked off, unbeknownst to the passionate Douglas. Dustin wasn’t smiling for long though as he lost to Jeff Jarrett in the main event and would go into the last show before the pay-per-view, knowing that he will finally have to confront Shane Douglas having ignored him for nearly three weeks.

Dustin Rhodes came to the ring and announced that three weeks ago, Shane Douglas cost him a spot in the “Rising Star” tournament but he couldn’t get hung up on that as the next week he was helping his friend Booker T. “The fact is that Shane Douglas wants attention, starve him of attention and he becomes desperate”. The crowd weren’t sure how to react to the babyface that had been ignoring the man that cost him a United States title shot. Dustin however explained to them that Shane Douglas wanted attention and the more attention you give him, the more power he has. Because Dustin had ignored him, he can walk into Great American Bash with the advantage because Shane Douglas will be desperate to “get rid of such disrespect”. Shane Douglas had heard enough and came walking down with his own microphone. Douglas was furious and told Dustin that he is “talking bullshit” and that the problem he has with Dustin is more than attention. Douglas explains that his major problem with Rhodes is not only the fact that he was in the tournament and he wasn’t but the reason why he was in it and not him. It’s simple, his last name. Douglas has worked hard to be the best he can in every company he wrestles in, becoming the “Franchise” and he was overlooked for the new tournament. Whereas Dustin was put in an easy first match against Hugh Morrus despite Dustin barely doing anything in WCW. Why? Because his last name was Rhodes, a last name that Dustin doesn’t deserve. A last name which brings respect, respect for someone that used to dress as a woman or who just rides the wave that his last name brings. Case in point? The first week, you lost a match against Hugh Morrus and you then spent the subsequent weeks in the main events! All the while, I haven’t even had a match since Nitro returned!! Dustin cut him off and said that his name doesn’t have anything to do with that, it is because he has proven night in and night out that he gives 100% to every match he is in. “100% IN LOSING!” was Douglas’ retort, driving it home that Dustin gets shots he doesn’t deserve to impress by telling Dustin that HE hasn’t beaten anyone since WCW returned (in the tag team match, Booker T got the pin). Dustin gets into the face of Shane and says that seeing as Douglas hasn’t even had a match, this Sunday Dustin will get his first win since WCW returned. Douglas on the other hand told Dustin that he will prove that he is better than Dustin and prove that how he has been treated has been nothing short of appalling.

You Shouldn’t Be Champion

Shane Helms (dropping the sugar nickname) turned up for the first Nitro and was the only champion to defend his title when he defeated Kaz Hayashi in a very good cruiserweight title match. Kaz pushed Shane to the limit but in the end Shane Helms hit the Vertebreaker and got the win. However later on in the night, Chavo Guerrero (accompanied by new manager Torrie Wilson) was interviewed on the new Nitro and Chavo took the opportunity to question how the United States championship and tag team championships had been vacated but the Cruiserweight championship hadn’t? Shane Helms wasn’t deserving of being champion! Chavo claimed that Shane Helms was lucky to have the championship and is riding that luck into this “new era” as one of the only champions and it makes Chavo sick! Shane Helms shouldn’t be champion!

The second Nitro, Shane Helms seemed to respond to Chavo Guerrero when he came to the ring and claimed to be “proving his credentials” by having an open challenge. This open challenge was answered by Kidman as he made his return to WCW. The following match took the good word from last week and multiplied it, cited as the best match on the show and one of the best cruiserweight matches in WCW history, Shane Helms defeated Kidman. Despite having hit the shooting star press, Helms had survived and once again won the match with the Vertebreaker. Helms celebrated with the fans when Chavo Guerrero’s music hit and Chavo came out onto the stage with a microphone but started with a clap. Chavo finished clapping and then raised the microphone, telling Shane that “one good match” wasn’t enough to prove he should be the Cruiserweight champion. A champion should take on all comers and beat them, all the while looking the part. “Shane, you are running scared from me!” accused Chavo as he explained that he hadn’t received a title shot despite him being the best Cruiserweight in the world. Chavo proceeded to challenge Shane at Great American Bash and Shane nodded with a smile on his face, Chavo was quick however to tell Shane that Shane will learn just how good Chavo is next week when Chavo faces Kidman and tops the match Shane just had! Well that promise was a bit much because whilst the match was good it was nowhere near on par with the week prior. Chavo came out victorious after catching Kidman as he went for the Shooting Star Press with impressive strength and then hit the Brainbuster for the three count. Chavo was handed a microphone by Torrie Wilson after the match and he demanded that the fans cheer him like they cheered Shane Helms last week! The fans refused and it angered Chavo so he demanded that Shane Helms come down and relinquish the Cruiserweight championship to him tonight and he will spare him the embarrassment at the pay-per-view when Chavo Guerrero wrestled rings around him and took the championship, giving WCW a true and rightful champion. Chavo then threw in the fact that he was a Guerrero and that everybody should be bowing at his feet anyway, everyone knows he is the best damn cruiserweight in the world! Shane Helms appeared on the screen of the stage and told Chavo that he keeps calling himself the “best cruiserweight in the world” but the fact is that HE is sitting here, the Cruiserweight champion. Chavo shouted that it was because Shane has been running scared from him and not given him a fair shot, Chavo pointed out that Shane being on the titantron proved it, too scared to come down to the ring and face him! Shane smirked before telling Chavo that he KNEW that Shane wasn’t at Nitro that night because of personal matters (garnered a boo from a crowd of fans hoping that Helms would run down and attack Chavo head on) but he WILL be at Nitro next week! Chavo laughed before telling Shane that he will see Chavo in the ring because Chavo doesn’t “take weeks off”, he is here every damn week!

Well that week we had Chavo Guerrero standing backstage where he had Torrie Wilson announce that he is the new WCW Cruiserweight champion, which she did with glee, and after he told everyone to get used to that introduction because at Great American Bash he will prove what he has been saying all along, Shane Helms doesn’t deserve to be champion! Chavo said that he isn’t repeating himself like he has been the past few weeks but he tells the fans that either they wat a strong champion or a weak one, make their choice! Later on in the night, Shane Helms was facing Kwee Wee in a brief match as Helms quickly disposed of him. Helms looked like he was about to get a microphone when he was attacked from behind by Chavo Guerrero! Chavo stomped on Helms before throwing Helms into the crowd barrier before grabbing a microphone. “Look at your “champion” now?! He is WEAK, just like I told you!” Chavo then continued to press home that he would be the best Cruiserweight champion in the history of WCW to go with his title of “the greatest cruiserweight in the world”. Chavo began to pose for the fans when they erupted with cheers…because Shane Helms was back up, fury etched on his face as he slid into the ring. Chavo didn’t stick around though as he bolted, Torrie Wilson in toe, as Helms screams that he will make Chavo pay on Sunday!!

Miscellaneous

Another wrinkle of the Great American Bash card was that Curt Hennig was making his “debut” – Shane & Dana didn’t want to recall Hennig’s past run, when he was a forgotten member of the Four Horsemen and the NWO – and he would be making his debut match against the giant Bam Bam Bigelow. As soon as Hennig was announced for his debut at Great American Bash, Bam Bam was squashing a few smaller members of the roster and he demanded to face the “perfect” Curt Hennig. His wish was granted and the match was set up.

Other than the shows, WCW was a strange atmosphere backstage and before long Shane McMahon and Dana White had realised what they had gotten themselves into. Controversy struck when Kidman, D’Lo Brown and Rob Van Dam teamed up to beat Buff Bagwell, Johnny Stamboli & Kanyon in a huge six man tag involving members of the Rising Star tournament participants. The controversy? Buff Bagwell was inebriated. The other members of the match were more than a little upset, especially when tests came back saying that not only was Buff Bagwell drunk but he tested positive for crack cocaine. Buff Bagwell was promptly fired. Now in the 2001, it was slightly shocking as fact is that a lot of wrestlers were “under the influence” but unfortunately for Buff, it was also the same week that Rick Steiner tested positive for steroids and Konnan was fined for provoking a fight with Johnny Stamboli. It was decided by Shane and Dana that someone needed to be made an example of before the inmates ran the asylum once again.

As the end of June came, the juggling act of weening out or changing the trouble makers whilst keeping the “good guys” happy was real. Shane McMahon showed that he was stern when he needed to be whilst Dana White was definitely a good judge of character for Shane, this was leading to certain members of the roster falling down the card, with the aim to run down their contract and send them on their way. A tactic that began to rear its ugly head in July when a main eventer found themselves in the dog house…but that is next month, for this month it was the Great American Bash first.

Great American Bash Final Card

Booker T =O= versus Jeff Jarrett for the World Heavyweight championship

Winner of Semi-Final 1 versus Winner of Semi-Final 2 in the Rising Star tournament and for the United States championship

Raven versus Diamond Dallas Page

Dustin Rhodes versus Shane Douglas

Shane Helms =O= versus Chavo Guerrero for the Cruiserweight championship

Bam Bam Bigelow versus Curt Hennig in Hennig’s WCW debut

D’Lo Brown versus Rob Van Dam in semi-final 2 of the Rising Star tournament

Lance Storm versus Tommy Dreamer in semi-final 1 of the Rising Star tournament
    Last edited by DarkestEarth; 10-05-2016 at 04:49 PM.

Status
    ="text-align:left">   Country                    United States

Digging this so far, just to let you know none of your graphics work.

Status

Really? They are on my laptop?

Status
      Country                    United States

The photobucket ones work, the attachments from here do not.

Status

I think I have fixed it, thanks for pointing it out and thank you for reading!

Status

Awesome! I shall be reading. And enjoying.

Status

WCW & Comcast Presents

Spoiler:

WCW’S PPV RETURN
    Sunday 1st July 2001
    LIVE ONLY ON COMCAST
    RATED M

Spoiler:

“MAN IN THE BOX”
    TOMMY DREAMER

Big cheers around the Verizon Wireless Arena as the popular ex-ECW champion, Tommy Dreamer, walks out from the back and spreads his arms wide. Tommy smiles whilst looking around the arena before signalling around his waist, motioning for an invisible title belt. The fans have obviously already made their choice for this match as they cheer on the man that was synominus with the now defunct ECW. The announce team welcome us whilst hyping up that Tommy Dreamer could just go on and win this tournament after fighting his way this far. A brief mention of the tag team that everybody had been talking about involved the brawling styling of Dreamer but tonight he is walking into a wrestling ring, with a wrestler in Lance Storm. Tommy Dreamer steps into the ring greeted by a huge reaction as he steps up to the top turnbuckle and riles the fans up, can Tommy Dreamer continue his incredible journey in the “Rising Star” tournament?

“TEAM CANADA”
    LANCE STORM

The man aiming to stop Tommy Dreamer’s path strides out and looks defiantly around at the crowd that are jeering the Canadian technical wrestler. The crowd continue to give the Canadian grief as he walks towards the ring, showing no reaction to the angry fans booing him. Stepping through the ropes and keeping his eyes locked on the intense stare from Tommy Dreamer, Storm lifts his right arm into the air as the boos rain down. The announce desk discussing that tag team once again and the fact that Lance Storm seems to be able to find a submission counter to almost any move. Joey Styles identifies Tommy Dreamer as a threat to the wrestling background of Lance Storm, he did concede however that Lance Storm could be the best technician wrestling today. Either way the announces predict that this could not only open the pay-per-view with a bang, it could steal the whole show! Which of these two will advance in this tournament?

WCW RISING STAR TOURNAMENT – SEMI FINAL 1
    TOMMY DREAMER
    vs. LANCE STORM

DING!
    DING!
    DING!

The buzz of excitement is close to exploding as the first pay-per-view match of the new era for WCW gets underway with two of WCW’s exciting prospects standing at opposite sides of the ring. Tommy Dreamer gave a few bits of advice to the technical wizard before Storm seemed to fire back with his own. The “Tommy” chants began to circle around the arena as both men in the ring look around the fans, completely different looks on their face, one of adjuration and the other of pure rage.

For the early parts of the match, Lance Storm did indeed take control as he took advantage of a wild right hand from Dreamer and took him down with a brief arm bar. Having brought Tommy down to where he wanted him, Storm circled out of the arm bar and began the real goal for this match, Tommy Dreamer’s right leg. A leaping stomp onto the right side made Dreamer try to roll away but, having taken the first steps to his goal, Storm grabbed Dreamers’ right leg and then whipped back, wrenching Dreamers’ knee down to the mat. A series of different kicks, stomps and holds garnered the sympathy from the crowd but despite that Dreamers hopes to continue in this tournament could be fading away. Despite Dreamers pain however, Storm doesn’t go for any covers but instead continues working on the right leg, looking determined to not only qualify for the next round but prove that he is the best technical wrestler in WCW, like he claimed on the Nitro before this show. Storms’ fury at the crowds support for Dreamer, only made things worse for Dreamer as Storm continued to stomp on the injured right leg.

Eventually, Storm does indeed start looking for pinfalls but Dreamers fight and determination doesn’t allow him to be covered for the 3. After numerous attempts to finish the match, Storm began to look annoyed that despite dominating the first 7 or so minutes of this match he hasn’t been able to put away the “lower-tier wrestler”. This annoyance led to slight frustration and this frustration led to Dreamer stunning Storm by catching Storm in the face with a knee. The sudden stumble backwards from that shot gave Dreamer the opportunity to unload rights and lefts onto the Canadian bringing the match to where he needs it to be, a fight. With Storm trying to cover his face up, Dreamer switched his attention from throwing punches and went to scoop him up but Storm suddenly grabbed Dreamer and flipped him with a Northern Lights suplex. With Dreamer once again raising the shoulder at two, Storm leapt off and walked towards a crawling Dreamer. Leaning down to try and pick up his opponent, Storm found himself being flipped through the second rope and to the outside. Looking to capitalise on this opportunity, Dreamer slid under the rope and stood one legged on the ring apron before flipping onto Storm with the cannonball! As Dreamer rolled back into the ring and tended to his right leg, the referee begins a countout – something that visibly annoys Lance as he returns to the ring at 8 and Tommy looks to take this opportunity. With the majority of the crowd behind him, Tommy begins to unleash with forearms and ending it with a swinging neckbreaker which gets him a 2 count. As Storm staggers into the corner, Tommy grabs Lance and whips him across the ring before beginning to run at him in the corner, before falling down to the mat holding his right knee.

This was just the opening Lance needed as he launched from out of the corner and dropkicked that very right knee. The crowd that were so behind Tommy Dreamer watched on in horror as Lance seized the right leg of Tommy’s and wrapped it under his arm and wrenched back, LOCKING IN THE CANADIAN MAPLE LEAF! Tommy yells out in pain, Lance pulls backs and the large frame of Dreamer is contorted across the front of Storm’s body. The rumble of the crowd as they plead with Tommy to fight and it seems to spur Tommy as he claws at the mat to try and make it to the ropes. Ever the ring specialist however Lance pulls Tommy away from the ropes whenever it looks like Tommy is about to grab one. Right knee twisted, Lance continues to pull back, pain etched all over Tommy’s face as he claws at his own face to try and fight the pain, still refusing to tap out. Tears almost rolling down his face, Tommy continues to stretch his hand out and the “Tommy” chant reverberates around the arena. Lance Storm doesn’t care and refuses to give Tommy another chance to crawl as he basically sits down on Tommy’s back! The tears are now there as, with no option, Tommy finally slams his hand down onto the mat and ends his hopes of continuing through the tournament…

TAP!
    TAP!
    TAP!

WINNER: LANCE STORM (Submission; 12:23)
    LANCE STORM ADVANCES IN THE RISING STAR TOURNAMENT!

A great win for the technical Lance Storm as he continues his journey through the Rising Star tournament and with the United States championship in his sights. Tommy Dreamer rolls out of the ring, clutching his right knee, whilst Lance Storm stares coldly at the man he just methodically dissected. As Lance Storm began to walk out of the ring, Midajah steps next to him inside the ring, microphone in her hand. “After beating Tommy Dreamer, you only have either Rob Van Dam or D’Lo Brown to beat in this tournament. Do you have a preference on which you face?” Midajah asks. Lance Storm looks blankly at Midajah before leaning into the microphone she had outstretched to him.

LANCE STORM: Preference? I just single-handedly destroyed the man that these idiot people cheer for despite his obvious failings. I proved that I am better than Tommy Dreamer and whoever is unfortunate enough to stand in my way in the final of this tournament, I will also prove I’m better. I dissected Tommy Dreamer and whether it is the reject D’Lo Brown or the jumping bean Rob Van Dam, I will dissect them too. Rob Van Dam? D’Lo Brown? It doesn’t matter, I will make them tap OUT!

With that Lance Storm pushes the microphone away from him and steps out of the ring, heading to the backstage area. This gave Joey Styles, Larry Zybszko & Mike Tenay the opportunity to discuss the tournament and the different United States champions from the past, including Harley Race, Ric Flair and Sting. They also point out that Lance Storm is the only person left in the tournament that has held the prestigious championship before, meaning that D’Lo Brown or Rob Van Dam will need to overcome a former champion. The three man broadcast team then transitions back to the ring as the second semi-final match is about to begin…

“NO MORE MR NICE GUY”
    D’LO BROWN

The strobe lighting around stage alerts everyone as D’Lo Brown heads out from the back, shaking his head and heading into what he hopes is a winning outing into the final of this tournament. As he slowly makes his way to the ring, Joey Styles suggests that D’Lo Brown could be the dark horse of this whole tournament and that D’Lo deserves to get a fair shot after years of being “held back”. As D’Lo steps into the ring, Mike Tenay questions whether D’Lo was held back or whether he was actually good enough. With the crowd chanting for D’Lo, the question is whether D’Lo can overcome the high-flying Rob Van Dam?

“IN MY WORLD”
    ROB VAN DAM

If D’Lo Brown was popular with the fans, Rob Van Dam’s reaction was nuclear in how loud the fans cheered. Probably one of the most popular members of the WCW roster as he heads into the arena with a big smile on his face. The ring announcer announces his name and as he does, Rob Van Dam motioned towards himself and the crowd chanting along with it. In the ring, Rob salutes the fans and looks over at D’Lo Brown before giving him a nod of respect. Will RVD defeat the veteran wrestler and face Lance Storm? Or will D’Lo Brown finally prove that he is worth getting behind?

WCW RISING STAR TOURNAMENT – SEMI FINAL 2
    D’LO BROWN
    vs. ROB VAN DAM

DING!
    DING!
    DING!

The bell rings and the excitement is pumping as the two most popular participants on the Rising Star tournament are about lock horns. Duelling chants of “RVD” & “D’Lo” are serenading them as they circle each other, cautiously. D’Lo looks to take a shot at RVD but Rob flicks his foot into D’Lo’s face which sends him backwards. With the momentum now shifted to RVD, the quick use of his “educated feet” seem to show that Rob is looking to put D’Lo away fast. After pummelling D’Lo for a few seconds, he whips the ex-WWF man across the ring and into the buckles in the corner. D’Lo bounces off before walking straight into a spinning heel kick and a few seconds later, he is having to power out of a pinning predicament. Trying to catch his bearings from the early onslaught, D’Lo managed to clock Rob with an uppercut which caused Rob to fall backwards, up and over the ropes and to the outside.

Rob began to fight his way to his feet but unfortunately for him, D’Lo was waiting and he sprinted at Rob before punting Rob’s head with the Shining Impact as the crowd cooed. Rob seemed to take an eternity to fall to the crowd as D’Lo looked around at the crowd, pumped up. Looking at the opportunity in front of him, D’Lo grabs Rob by the head and slides him into the before hooking the right leg for a 2 count. Not one to wait, D’Lo shakes his head at the crowd and drops a lightning fast leg drop onto the neck of his opponent before covering for another 2 count. The signal was then made and Brown waited for Rob to slowly get to his feet before grabbing him by the throat and lifting Rob up for the Sky High but RVD suddenly blocked it and rolled D’Lo up for the shock pin…but no! D’Lo managed to get shoulder off the mat to a decent cheer from the crowd. Not only did he kicked out but he rolled back onto his feet and, with a look of anger, sped at his rival. Rob was just about ready though as he backed off enough to be able to hop past D’Lo with the rolling body scissors cover. It didn’t take much for D’Lo to kick out once again though and this time when D’Lo popped back up he managed to clothesline Rob back down to the mat. “Even match up so far” Styles calls, “Everytime Rob Van Dam answers with something, D’Lo Brown answers with something right back” but whilst he was saying that, D’Lo was starting to get more and more vicious with his blows on “the whole f’in show”. A barrage of fists and elbows onto Robs back seemed to be keeping him in place for now but D’Lo seemed to be building for his finisher the “Lo Down” and he began to ascend to the top rope. Members of the crowd stood up as they watched D’Lo Brown stretch out and fly across the ring……only to hit the empty mat! Rob Van Dam managed to roll out of harm’s way!

The building began to rumble as the pendulum had swung and the crowd were getting behind their favourite, Rob Van Dam. Clutching his stomach, D’Lo scrambles to get back up, looking to keep the advantage in his corner. It was too late, RVD was already spinning to hit D’Lo with a spin kick which rebounded D’Lo down to the mat. The quickness that Rob was moving made sure that Brown wasn’t able to get to his feet before Rob rolled and landed his back onto Brown’s stomach hitting the Rolling Thunder! Hooking the leg, Rob must have known that it wouldn’t put Brown away because as soon as Brown’s shoulder raised, Rob was jumping to the top rope. Just like they did for Brown, the crowd anticipation for the flying manoeuvre causes the majority to stand up as Rob flew through the air…HITTING THE FIVE STAR FROG SPLASH!! The crowd chant along as the referees hand begins to come down..

1!
    2!
    3!

WINNER: ROB VAN DAM (Pinfall; 10:44)
    ROB VAN DAM ADVANCES IN THE RISING STAR TOURNAMENT!

The crowd’s noise shows how much they wanted Rob Van Dam to advance and how popular he actually is. The announce desk were quick to point out that it just took one mistake to cost D’Lo Brown the match. The importance of the win was relayed too as this means that it will be Rob Van Dam facing Lance Storm in the final of the Rising Star tournament and just one more win before being crowned United States champion. Van Dam may have been celebrating towards the crowd but D’Lo Brown, crestfallen after losing this chance, was getting to his feet. Rob turned around and there was the ex-WWF man on the verge of tears, shaking as he fights his emotions and says his piece. Rob stepped back from the exchange and offered his hand out of respect to D’Lo. Taking one look down, the crowd watched on as D’Lo shrugged the handshake away and embraced Rob in a hug?! The shock wasn’t just for the announce desk or the crowd as Rob was just as shocked as D’Lo allowed the embrace to fall away before patting Rob on the chest and seemingly gesturing for Rob to “win the belt” as Rob nodded and the two embraced once more. Larry Zybszko was the loudest in his demands to know what that was about but Joey was quick to discuss the respect that both men have for one another and that “D’Lo must be taking this as a learning experience”.

As Rob Van Dam continues his celebrations in the ring, the camera switches backstage to an interview area where Midajah stood waiting – this time she is speaking to the challenge for the WCW World Heavyweight championship later tonight, “The Chosen One”, Jeff Jarrett. Midajah says that with WCW’s return to pay-per-view has started in hot fashion as we have two men fighting for one of the most prestigious championships in WCW history. “So Jeff” asks Midajah, “Do you think that not only can you beat Booker T tonight but also top whatever the United States championship match throws up?”. Jeff Jarrett – who was paying Midajah no mind until that question – looked Midajah up and down with shock before pulling Midajah close, causing the microphone to be right under his nose.

JEFF JARRETT: Top? Top the US match?! Do you know who you are talking to Midajah? I am the Chosen One, Double J, Jeff Jarrett! You seem to be forgetting who was performing in the main events before all this “new era” crap! I am the only person on this whole damn roster that knows what it is like to raise his game for the main event! Screw the Rising Star tournament, the whole reason we enter “the game” is so that we can become the World Heavyweight champion and tonight I prove that I am the best that WCW has to offer. The United States championship? Like anybody really cares about that!

With that Jeff stormed past Midajah, a confused and annoyed look on Midajah’s face. Joey Styles was quick to jump in and called Jarrett arrogant and that all he ever thinks about is himself. The big question though is whether or not Jeff Jarrett will follow up on his promise and beat Booker T for the World Heavyweight championship?

“BAM BAM”
    BAM BAM BIGELOW

The cold and quiet reaction was either indicative of a wrestler whose best years are gone or a character that nobody really remembers. Either way the giant frame of Bam Bam Bigelow slowly begins the descent to the ring as the announcers question whether or not the “huge” Bam Bam is going to destroy the newest addition of the WCW roster? Bam Bam steps over the ropes and lifts his arms to the shower of boos that rained down onto him. A brief discussion on Curt Hennig making his WCW return and just how good he is in the ring, “he will have to be beat this monster” called Larry Zybszko.

“ROAD TO GLORY”
    CURT HENNIG

The brief cheer from those in attendance just staples how fondly Hennig is remembered as he comes walking out, small towel in hand as he looks around him, a smile on his face. Walking slowly down to the ring, a focused look on his face which is locked on his opponent, Curt stretches out his hand and allows people to slap it. “Can tonight be the perfect way to start his WCW career tonight?”, questions Joey Styles. Rolling into the ring, Curt throws his towel into the face of Bam Bam before charging at him, going on the attack straight away.

CURT HENNIG’S DEBUT
    BAM BAM BIGELOW
    vs. CURT HENNIG

DING!
    DING!
    DING!

Catching Bam Bam unaware, Hennig throws big right hands to the back of Bam’s head before switching to try and lift Bam with a suplex. He failed and Bam launched Hennig across the ring with a shove. Bouncing off his back and popping back up, Curt uses his vast superior speed to launch at Bam’s back again. Clutching onto Bam’s head and wrenching at his neck. Problem with that was when the giant wrestler decided to just fall on his back, crushing the debutant underneath him and forcing him to let go of the sleeper hold. This gave Bigelow the chance to grab Curt and whip him across the ring and into the corner turnbuckles with such force that Curt almost went flying over the top rope and to the outside, instead flying up in the air before falling face first to the mat below him. To continue this savage opening to the match, Bam leant on the ropes near him before using the bounce back to rush towards the fallen Hennig and jump up with the splash on the mat. Rather than look for a pin, Bam grabbed Hennig up to his feet by his hair before launching him across the ring face first. The crowd show their annoyance at this controlling performance by Bam but Bigelow just looks around at the crowd and roars his dominance whilst making his way towards the fallen Hennig. A loud “Let’s Go Curt” chant beings to ascend from the fans watching, it is met with Bam Bam throwing Hennig across the ring again with a huge throw. Watching this methodical style of beatdown, the crowd begin to quieten after their initial excitement of seeing Curt Hennig.

Enjoying the silence, Bam walks slowly over to Curt, stooping down to pick him up and runs at the ropes opposite and looks for a dropkick…but Curt suddenly wakes up and drives his knee into Bam’s face! Waking the crowd, Curt is still a little groggy from the start of the match so much so that Bam had already got back up by the time Curt was on both feet again. Bigelow wasn’t up for long though as Curt lifted up with a dropkick and connected with the big guys face. We are now circling around the 7:00 minute mark as Curt sprinted around the ring, flying at Bam to try and keep him down on the mat. After various takedown moves, Curt tried for a cover but Bam Bam Bigelow kicked out with authority, signalling that Hennig had a lot more to do to put the big man down for 3. Hennig certainly had the end of the match in mind as he grabbed Bam and facelocked him, looking for the Perfect-Plex!! But Bigelow was too strong and threw Hennig away and as Curt bounced back up once again, Bam almost beheaded the man with a huge clothesline. Fury etched on Bam’s face as he pointed at the fallen Hennig before backing away and climbing to the top rope. Just like they did for the last match, the crowd stood up but for a different reason this time as a 390 lb monster stands on the top rope!! Unfortunately for that very monster, Hennig blocked him from diving by putting his weight onto the ropes, causing Bam to fall onto the top of the turnbuckle! The crowd cheered the reaction play but Hennig doesn’t slow down as he walks over to Bam and after a few punches, wriggles his head into a facelock…before lifting and throwing Bam from the corner with the PERFECT-PLEX!! The crowd roared their approval as Curt somehow managed to keep a hold as the referee slid down to the mat.

1!
    2!
    3!

WINNER: CURT HENNIG (Pinfall; 9:44)

Joey Styles shouted that “Curt has slayed the monster” as Curt lets go of the bridge and sits on his knees as the crowd cheers for the debutant. Looking around with a big smile on his face, Hennig pushes himself to his feet and then allows the referee to raise his hand as he drinks in the atmosphere of the Verizon Wireless arena. The view changes not long after that as the announce desk is shown as they congratulate Curt Hennig’s victory before they start to discuss the heated rivalry that has grown between cruiserweight champion Shane Helms and challenger Chavo Guerrero before leading to the hype video before the match…

*** START VIDEO ***
    The hype video for this match takes us back to June 6th a few weeks ago, at the return of Nitro, when Shane Helms was shown lifting the Cruiserweight championship into the air after a hard fought victory. Shane is smiling when Chavo Guerrero’s first words against the cruiserweight champion start to sound over the smiling picture. “The US title? The Tag titles? But not the Cruiserweight title? It seems to me that someone is getting preferential treatment!” were the start of Chavo’s tirade against the champion. Chavo is shown basically shouting down a microphone with Torrie Wilson standing next to him as the passion Chavo showed bled into the image of Shane Helms standing face to face with Kidman. With a few quick images passing by of Kidman & Helms and Helms then covering for the 3 count. A cheer from the crowd sounded with Helms celebrating with the title belt again, when Chavo’s tirades once again interrupted the happy picture. “One good match doesn’t make you a deserving champion” is heard as Shane Helms is shown looking up the ramp and then “YOU’RE RUNNING SCARED FROM ME!” suddenly pierced the video. “Papercut” by Linkin Park began to gain speed as Chavo Guerrero is shown brawling with Kidman and the words “I am the best cruiserweight in the world…” sounded over Chavo pinning Kidman. “I don’t take nights off!” was heard as Helms was briefly shown on the stage screen and Helms looks like he is about to speak when the shot changes to Shane Helms beating Kwee Wee and Helms looking like he is finally about talk. That is when Chavo Guerrero is shown jumping Helms from behind and Linkin Park’s chorus sounds loudly of Papercut before we see Helms thrown through the ropes as the only breaks from the guitar and drums are Chavo Guerrero repeats that he is the best cruiserweight in the world. The speeding song suddenly comes to an end when “LOOK AT YOUR WEAK CHAMPION NOW!” sounds from a passionate Chavo Guerrero and the final shot is of Chavo Guerrero standing over cruiserweight champion Shane Helms.
    *** END VIDEO ***

“LATINO WORLD ORDER”
    CHAVO GUERRERO

(w/Torrie Wilson)

Accompanied by Torrie Wilson, the boos were waiting for them as Chavo Guerrero heads out and spreads his arms out, soaking all the hate in. A smile over his face shows the arrogance that has become accustom of Chavo lately, seeping through every pore of the challenger. The slow descent to the ring, whilst looking around him, delays the crowd from seeing the champion, seemingly angering the crowd further. Finally stepping through the ropes and climbing up the corner, Chavo smirks whilst spreading his arms out once more, anger showering down onto the arrogant Mexican.

“JUMP”
    WCW CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPION
    SHANE HELMS

Delaying the crowd definitely worked out for the champion as the crowd gave a huge cheer. Championship in hand, Shane Helms is night and day from his opponent as he storms his way to the ring, rolling under the ropes. Helms walks straight up to Chavo Guerrero, nose to nose and the championship held in the air. The referee ushers both men away from each other, lifting the championship in the air and signals for the bell as both men look like they have something to prove.

WCW CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
    CHAVO GUERRERO
    vs. SHANE HELMS

DING!
    DING!
    DING!

With the Cruiserweight championship on the line here it would be high enough stakes but with everything that Chavo Guerrero has said, there is so much more on the line. The opening stages of this match involved Chavo Guerrero offering Shane Helms in with tests of strength and other “challenges”, keeping the two even as neither could take control. That is until the challenger gave a swift kick to the stomach of the champion during another test of strength, bringing the champion to his knees. Helms’ face contorted in pain from the shot gave Chavo another opportunity to embarrass the champion as he slapped the kneeling champion across the face, sending him down to the mat and giving the fans even more reason to boo Guerrero. This gave Chavo the opportunity to take control of this match and not only did he take it but his confidence grew as he continue to play with the champion, giving him time to get to his feet before kicking his leg out from under him. Swiping Shane up, Chavo sent him flying into the turnbuckle before rushing him and grabbing hold, throwing him over his head with a belly to belly suplex which gets a 2 count. The champion is allowed time to fight his way to his feet when Chavo jumps with a picture perfect dropkick but once again it is no more than 2.

Chavo’s control continues for several minutes but try as he might he wasn’t able to put Helms away, even going as far as hitting a Tornado DDT. Helms however continued to fight out of covers and trying his best to strike his way out of trouble. Chavo was able to stop these attempts but it is obvious that Helms is not going to lose the his championship so easy, causing an small part of frustration to show from the challenger. And it was that frustration that tipped the balance of this match as Chavo threw Helms into the turnbuckle before rushing at his opponent only to find the turnbuckle itself. Rebounding off the corner he did a 360 as he tried to turn quick enough to keep the upper hand but during the time it took him to turn, Helms had stepped to the top rope and launched himself at the arrogant champion, slamming him down with a diving neckbreaker! The delight of the crowd is heard as Helms lunges for the cover but just like Helms did, Chavo kicked out of the pin attempt. The effects of Chavo’s long spell in control are evident as both men get to their feet at the same time, breaking the referee’s count. Face to face now, fists begin to fly until after a few shots in which Chavo didn’t throw a right but instead pushed Shane away from him, Helms just rebounds off the ropes however and doesn’t let up, determined to prove that he is deserving of the title. Shane suddenly unloads with rights and lefts before hitting an uppercut which caused the challenger to hit the rebound and rebound straight into an elbow smash! Shane drops to his knees before covering Chavos’ shoulders…

1!
    2!
    CHAVO GUERRERO KICKS OUT!

Shane was quick to try and continue his comeback as he landed a number of elbows and punches, getting wilder and wilder as Shane’s temper seemed to be getting the better of him. This temper allowed a slight momentary lapse by the champion as Chavo ducked a wild right fist and hugged the champions body, before flipping him up and over with a Northen Lights Suplex! The Cruiserweight champion isn’t down for long though as he fought back to his feet with more rights and lefts which rocked Chavo until the challenger lunged forward with a hasty clothesline. It was Shane’s turn to duck before running at the ropes and using the middle rope to leap backwards with a leaping clothesline that takes Chavo back down to the mat! Is the champion going to retain?

1!
    2!
    CHAVO GUERRERO KICKS OUT AGAIN!

Helms is quick to keep control of the match and looks to be working down the arrogant challenger. The difference in the two mens styles is shown, whereas Chavo tried to wear down Helms earlier with suplexes, Helms uses his striking to try and take down Chavo. Unloading a quick fire of elbows, fists and a spin kick to Chavo’s leg kept the challenger off guard before leaping up in the air and spinning Chavo over with a hurricanrana. The crowd are happy that the champion is in charge and let him know it when he goes for another cover.

1!
    2!
    CHAVO GUERRERO GETS OUT OF IT AT 2!

The challenger for the Cruiserweight title only just managed to get the shoulder up at that point, it is obvious that he is on the ropes from the champion. Determination etched on the face of the champion as he backed off from Guerrero and waited for him to get to his feet. Chavo sauntered from one foot to the other as he turned around Shane rushed at him, looking for the superkick…but Chavo ducked it and flipped Shane over the top rope and to the outside. Looking to the champion getting his bearings on the outside, Chavo rushes to the nearest corner and jumps onto the middle rope and rebounds to the outside with a missile dropkick!! The crowd erupt in applause for the innovative move as the referee begins to count. The crowd begins to urge both men into the ring, not wanting this match to end on a count out. The number “6” is heard as both men have stirred and fighting to their feet. Chavo Guerrero is the first one to roll in at the number “8” and the champion joins him just as the referee shouted “9”!

The crowd cheer this effort as the challenger stands over the champion, looking at the champion with fury and begging him to get to his feet. Shane does indeed meet him face to face and he is soon rocked with a huge right hand from Chavo! Struggling to stay on his feet, Shane receives another and is knocked back towards the ropes before getting his left arm up to block the next shot. Helms instead responds with his own shots which rock Chavo back and he winds back for another punch but Chavo was too quick and switches position and throws Chavo with the German suplex! But Chavo doesn’t stop there as he has already hooked the leg with his own and stretches up and pulls back at Shane Helms’ face, finalises the cross-legged STF! The screams of pain were heard everywhere as the champion is stuck in the middle of the ring, the challenger looking to beat the champion by submission. The left claw of Shane Helms began to reach out to the nearest ropes as the crowd willed the Cruiserweight champion on. With his left hand always hovering over the mat, the neck and head of Shane Helms was wrenched back by Chavo Guerrero. Shane begins to pull the challenger along with him as he claws at the mat and drags himself closer to the bottom rope. The closer the champion gets however the further back the challenger pulls, can he get to the ropes or will Shane Helms submit?

The crowd goes wild with delight as Shane Helms’ left hand grips the bottom rope and means that the submission hold must be broken, Chavo however waits until the very last second of the five count from the referee before letting go of the hold. Chavo begins to show that frustration which plagued him earlier in the match as he stomped on the mat before slamming down with a waiting pose, waiting for the champion to get to his feet. Still suffering from the effects of the STF, Shane takes a while to get to his feet before turning around into a kick to the gut. It is obvious what Chavo is going for as he begins to lift Shane up but Shane fights his way out of it with right hands to the temple, forcing Chavo to drop Helms. Helms lands on his feet and suddenly grabs Chavo…and NIGHTMARE ON HELMS STREET! THE CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPION LANDS THE NIGHTMARE ON HELMS STREET! Is it enough to retain the championship?

1!
    2!
    CHAVO GUERRERO KICKS OUT!

Shock and frustration written all over the champions face, Shane gives a quick slam onto the mat with his fist before fighting his way to his feet. A sweeping dirty look at the referee aside, Shane Helms looks around the ring and after thinking about it, stomps on the mat and screams for Chavo to get “his ass up!”. Chavo obliges before turning around and receiving a swift shot to the gut before being lifted up, Shane Helms is going for the Vertebreaker!! Chavo also saw it coming too as his arms begin to shake whilst on the back of Shane and they get stronger, soon forcing the champion to drop Chavo. Landing on his feet, the challenger doesn’t even think about the lucky escape he just had as he grabs Shane and flips him up for a German suplex but Helms flips up in the air and on his feet also! Guerrero quickly turns…straight into the Double Knee Facebreaker! The cheer from the crowd is almost deafening as Shane Helms claws at Chavo and hooks the leg once again!!

1!
    2!
    NO CHAVO KICKS OUT ONCE AGAIN!

This time the frustration is boiling over as Shane Helms pounds on the mat in fury as he begins to question the referee about the count. The face of the champion was furious as he grabs the challenger up by the hair and hits a few shots before looking like he was going for the Vertebreaker once again but before Shane could even lift Chavo, Chavo kicked low. Knocking the wind out of Shane Helms, Chavo almost beheads the champion with a clothesline! Waiting for the champion to get up, Chavo grabs him and lifts him up and back down with the sitout side powerslam. Guerrero doesn’t go for the pin though as he puts his hands on his knees and waits as Shane gets to his knees. Chavo sprints at the champion and looks like he is going for the Tornado DDT but the champion caught him and lifted him up!! It looks like he is finally going to hit the Vertebreaker! NO! Chavo again fights out and lands on his feet but this time Chavo keeps Shane in a front facelock before lifting Shane up…and hitting THE BRAINBUSTER!! CHAVO LIFTS SHANE HELMS AND HITS THE BRAINBUSTER! This time, it is Chavo Guerrero who is hooking the leg in the center of the ring, surely the champion is going to lose this?!

1!
    2!
    3!

WINNER: CHAVO GUERRERO(Pinfall; 15:44)
    CHAVO GUERRERO WINS THE CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP!

Chavo Guerrero celebrates like crazy as he is handed the Cruiserweight championship as Joey Styles and co analyse the instant replay of Chavo fighting out of the Vertebreaker and hitting the Brainbuster for the win. The crowd are in shock but they are awoken from that shock when Chavo brought his newly won championship down onto the head of Shane Helms. The boos wash over the new Cruiserweight champion as he dismantles the man he just beat before grabbing him and then throwing him head first out of the ring. Now in the ring by himself, Chavo steps up to the top rope and lifts the championship belt into the air as they yell their displeasure at him, smirk all over his face. “The worst part of this is that he backed up what he was saying” Joey Styles voiced, annoyance airing out of every word. “He is NOW the best cruiserweight in the world!” agreed Larry Zybszko whilst Mike Tenay audibly sighed at the statement.

*** START VIDEO ***
    WCW’s return is complete and summer is coming to an end…

There is one last opportunity to get some sun…

AND WHILE YOU DO…

CHECK OUT…

BASH AT THE BEACH!

BASH AT THE BEACH
    Sunday 29th July 2001
    Rupp Arena
    Lexington, Kentucky
    *** END VIDEO ***

“THE NATURAL”
    DUSTIN RHODES

Good reaction from the crowd for the second generation star as Dustin makes his way to the ring with a look of determination on his face. As he makes his way to the ring, Larry Zybszko states that Dustin is a man riding the coat-tails of a famous father, a father too embarrassed to even acknowledge Rhodes due to some of his decisions in the past. Joey Styles was quick to try and defend Dustin and while Styles retorted, Dustin stepped through the ropes and rushed the corner before pumping his arms in the air to try and psyche up the crowd, which they responded in kind. Feeling his job is down, the loud thud is heard as Dustin dropped off the corner and began staring at the stage, waiting for Douglas, can Rhodes prove that he isn’t just riding off the coat-tails of his famous father?

“PERFECT STRANGERS”
    SHANE DOUGLAS

Negative reaction for the man that has promised to prove Dustin Rhodes unworthy of his last name and also accused Dustin of “getting unfair chances”. The “Franchise” slapped away any fans that dared to reach out to him before stepping onto the ring apron. Looking at Dustin with an arrogant smirk, Douglas stepped through the ropes and kept his eyes fixated on Rhodes.

DUSTIN RHODES vs. SHANE DOUGLAS

DING!
    DING!
    DING!

The arrogant “Franchise” stood opposite the man that he has accused of using his father’s legacy for getting jobs and opportunities with an arrogant smirk on his face as the bell rings. The smile is soon disappearing though as Dustin sprints at Douglas, knocking him over the top rope and tumbling to the outside with a huge clothesline. Joey Styles quickly throws in that the match is starting hard and fast as Dustin joins Shane on the outside and launches him into the steel steps with such force that the steel stairway flies apart and hits the guard-rail. The screams of Douglas as he grabs his shoulder echo around the arena as a shocked crowd watch the intensity of Dustin Rhodes as he isn’t looking to win a match but to dismantle Shane Douglas instead. Stomping on the now hurt shoulder, Dustin starts to pick up the injured wrestler but referee Charles Robinson tries to separate the irate wrestler from the injured one. Shane took this opportunity to create space by rolling into the ring and practically crawling away from the ring apron whilst the referee admonishes Dustin and tells him to “stay here” as he slides into the ring to check on the “Franchise”. A look of pain etched on his face, Shane’s shoulder is tested out by the referee whilst Dustin skulks into the ring, staring a hole into Shane. The look of fear on Douglas’ face was telling as he told Charles to stop Dustin and he obliged, trying to keep Dustin separate from Douglas. A slow, sick smile crawled over Douglas’ face as the referee yells that he will disqualify Dustin if he carries on but as the referee turns, the smile vanishes and a look of anguish replaces it. The referee nods and tries checking the shoulder again.

Well this was too much for Dustin Rhodes to take as he launched at Douglas, diving over the frame of Charles Robinson and landing on Douglas, raining down shots at the “injured” wrestler. Squirming away from the attack, Robinson is sat in the corner looking on in shock as Dustin threw Douglas face first into the corner and continued to unload fists on his opponent. Trying one last time, Charles Robinson grabs Dustin Rhodes and tries to wrench him away from Shane but Rhodes was too strong and knocked Charles away before continuing the stomps on the prone body of Shane Douglas. That was it, Robinson had done all he could and he signalled for the ring bell.

DING!
    DING!
    DING!

WINNER: SHANE DOUGLAS (Disqualification; 4:02)

The look that Dustin Rhodes gives the blonde referee was telling of his anger as he begins to ascend on the short referee, demanding why he disqualified him. The argument was loud and back and forth but little did Dustin know that Shane Douglas was pulling himself up, smile on his face once again. It couldn’t come in the nick of time for Charles Robinson as it looked like the irate Dustin Rhodes was about to strike the poor referee when Douglas grabbed Dustin from behind and lifted him with the Lone Star State of Mind, Dustin Rhodes’ finisher! The crowd, who were already booing the disqualification, were very unhappy with this turn of events on the pay-per-view as a “bullshit” chant reverberated around the arena. Shane Douglas stared down Charles Robinson, who continued to cower in front of another intimidating man, before Douglas made his way out of the ring, seemingly spitting on the fallen body of Dustin Rhodes as he did so. Joey Styles came to the conclusion that Shane Douglas had pushed Dustin Rhodes to breaking point and that breaking point had cost Dustin his shot at revenge, but Zybszko yelled that Douglas showed he was more intelligent than Dustin once again proving that Rhodes shouldn’t be here! Mike Tenay, playing adjudicator once again, said that although Douglas had shown intelligence here tonight, that only saved him tonight as Douglas will have to now watch his back on Nitro this Wednesday and every Nitro after that.

The camera switches backstage to an interview area where Midajah stood waiting once again – earlier it was the challenger and this time it is the champion as she stands next to WCW World Heavyweight champion Booker T. “Booker,” asks Midajah, “Earlier on Jeff Jarrett, the man you will be facing later tonight, didn’t care about the tournament and said that tonight he will beat you for that championship around your waist”. Midajah pointed at the championship belt around Booker T’s waist before moving the microphone she is holding towards the champion.

BOOKER T: Well first of all, Jeff Jarrett disrespected a championship that I hold dear, a championship that I relinquished against my better judgement because it was decided that each champion should concentrate on their respective belts. A championship that some of the best in the business have held, the best in the history of this business…and Jeff Jarrett. So with two great wrestlers like Lance Storm and Rob Van Dam competing for that championship drives me, it drives me to be the best that I can be and wrestle in not only the best match of the night but the best match of the year.
    But getting back to Jeff Jarrett, tonight I face that punk ass in the middle of that ring because you thought it was a good idea to insinuate that I don’t deserve the WCW World Heavyweight championship around my waist! Well tonight Jeff, I prove that I not only deserve it but I am the BEST that WCW has to offer!

Finishing what he has to say, Booker T looks at Midajah before walking out of the scene, leaving her to send it back to the announce team. Who is going to win the main event tonight as Booker T faces off against Jeff Jarrett with the WCW World Heavyweight championship on the line?

“SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT”
    DIAMOND DALLAS PAGE

Big cheer here for one of the staples of WCW as Diamond Dallas Page comes walking out to his newly secured Nirvana song. Lifting his arms in the air, he brings them down for the pyro around him before making his way to the ring, reciprocating the outstretched hands of the nearby fans. Larry Zybszko keeps calling DDP a “remnant of the past” until Joey Styles pulls him up and says that DDP is instead an “uncrowned legend” in WCW history and that DDP will be looking to prove tonight that the future of WCW, goes through him. All the while this discussion was happening, Page had stepped into the ring and lifted his arms up again and creates a diamond before bringing them back down, the crowd really eating it up.

“WAIT & BLEED”
    RAVEN

Night and day in reactions as the arena darkens with a crow cawing before Raven’s brand new music starting as Slipknot’s Corey Taylor blares around the arena. As the lights begin to brighten, Raven steps through the curtain as the fans really let Raven have it. Staring blankly though and showing no emotion, Raven looks around him before settling his gaze on Diamond Dallas Page in the ring. Slowly sauntering to the ring, Raven gives Larry Zyszko time to announce him as the “future of WCW” at the announce desk and Larry declares that he thinks Raven will “destroy DDP tonight”. Raven stops in front of the ring, milking the reaction from the fans and delaying the start of the match as the electricity in the air can be felt, this felt like a big fight as Raven finally turns and walks slowly up the ring steps, staring at DDP the whole time before arriving in the ring. As soon as Raven’s in the center of the ring, DDP joins him and gets nose to nose with his opponent, DDP looking hyped up whilst Raven still displays no emotion and giving DDP and cold, dark stare.

DIAMOND DALLAS PAGE vs. RAVEN

DING!
    DING!
    DING!

The crowd express their excitement as Diamond Dallas Page stares at Raven with a “D-D-P” chant surrounding both men, leading to a look of distain from Raven at the rabble surrounding him. The two finally clash in the center of the ring as the elbow tie up challenges both men, neither able to gain the leverage they wanted. It ended as quickly as it began though as Raven and DDP withdrew the hold and stared each other, that was until Raven slapped DDP across the face yelling words like “left you behind” and “privileged” obviously trying to psyche out the “WCW future hall of famer”. However the slap just looked to light something within DDP as he furiously stares at Raven and then unloads with right jabs that knock Raven back. Dallas is rocking Raven right now and with one final shot knocked him back into the ropes, Raven rebounded off and was sent riding over DDP’s shoulder from a Firemans carry! Raven found himself looking up at the roof of the arena as Dallas drops down and hooks the leg, looking to prove that he is still one of the best in WCW but Raven still had too much in the tank and kicked out at 2. Dallas knew the pace would not be on his side for long so he grabbed up Raven and leaped, looking for the Diamond Cutter!! Dallas landed squarely on his back but Raven didn’t join him because he had already pushed Page away from him. The 45 year old body of Dallas was too slow to move as Raven moved quickly to leap off the mat and drop his elbows in the middle of Page’s chest. Unlike his opponent though, Raven didn’t look for a cover as he wanted to punish his rival, to prove that he truly is better. Lifting Page up, Raven then jabbed at the face before turning Page inside-out with a discus clothesline. Raven was controlling proceedings now as he dominated Page with kicks, punches and shots to the head, Raven seemingly determined to bust the “Master of the Diamond Cutter” open. Even as to go far as to mount a fallen Page and unload shots at his forehead then covering him with violent pin covers, forcing Page to kick out again and again as the crowd displayed their anger towards Raven.

Raven stood in the corner of the ring, allowing Page to get to his feet before sprinting at him in the search of another clothesline but Page ducked and Raven fell to the outside. This didn’t slow the maniacal Raven down however as he grabbed at the legs of Page and wrenched him down to the mat before slamming his elbow into Page’s face. Raven’s violent game plan continuing as he targeted the head once again. Joey Styles was in the middle of questioning whether this game plan was for the Raven Effect when Raven grabbed DDP and was motioning for the Raven Effect on the outside!! It didn’t happen though as DDP finally started to show what had made him a “future hall of famer” as he fought out of it and began to throw huge rights at Raven. Just like they did at the start of the match, they rocked Raven back before DDP backed off and allowed Raven to throw one of his own. Page was obviously ready and grabbed the arm before swinging Raven around and slamming him down with a swinging neckbreaker on the outside! The crowd unloaded support for Page as the referee began his count to 10. The rumbles of the crowd urged Page to get back up after such a beating and get back in the ring and like a phoenix rising from the ashes, Page managed to roll into the ring at the number 7. Now it was Raven, still stunned from the sudden attack from Page, who had to fight to get into the ring, sliding in at with just 1 second to spare.

Raven may well have gotten back in the ring but he wasn’t given time to rest as Dallas leapt into the air and dropped his elbow onto the prone Raven. Rather than letting Raven stay on the mat, Page swiped him up and launched him into the turnbuckle before joining him with a splash. Page then feinted a punch…before waving at Raven and backing off with a smile on his face, allowing the crowd to shout their approval. One man that didn’t approve though as Raven who rushed at Page from the corner but Page caught him and lifted him up and slamming him down with a spinning spinebuster! Page wriggled in place and hooked the leg…

1!
    2!
    RAVEN KICKS OUT!

DDP continued the assault on Raven despite the kick out which included a belly to belly suplex and a German suplex as Page seemed to be looking at anyway to keep Raven off his feet. A strategy applauded by Mike Tenay, “a man down on the mat is a man that can’t pin you” was the motto he spouted out. However it was curse of the commentator because as soon as he said that, Raven was about to be sent for a vertical suplex but whilst in the air Raven struggles until he gets his right arm free and throws hard shots at DDP’s head once again. DDP is forced to drop Raven on his feet and Raven looks at Page before unloading with a superkick!! Raven jumped on top of Page!!

1!
    2!
    3!

NO! PAGE HAD GOT HIS SHOULDER UP AT THE LAST MILLISECOND!

The closeness of the kick out caused Joey Styles to shout down the microphone “I THOUGHT IT WAS OVER!” before we are shown a replay which proves that Page did indeed just get his shoulder up before 3. Raven didn’t have the luxury of a replay and was soon arguing with the referee and even grabbed him by the shirt, all the while DDP had crawled into the corner…and springs up before launching himself at Raven this time! Raven was in the middle of turning around when a punch connected, knocking him back slightly before having his arm draped over DDP’s shoulder as Page lifts up high and brought back down with the Atomic drop. Raven’s face is racked in pain before he is knocked down with a hard shot from Page. Page joins Raven on the mat for a quick 2 count before standing back up and waiting for his opponent to get back up. Raven does indeed slowly get to his feet before he takes a kick to the gut and DDP lifts Raven up with a gutwrench lift…before being twisted and slammed down onto Page’s knee! Page once again covered but Raven again got his shoulder up. Page didn’t waste any time before picking up Raven but perhaps Page was rushing a bit too much as Page tried to go for a belly to belly suplex but Raven drove his knee into Page’s gut before grabbing the arm of Page…and twisting him round and slamming down…crossface chicken wing!! Page screams in pain as Raven wrenches back at the chin and head and the referee is checking whether or not Dallas wants to submit from the hold. The sounds of Page in pain are drowned out by the crowd urging Page to fight out of it and plead him not to tap, to which the urging gets louder as Page shifts his body towards the rope……and grabs a hold! The cheer erupted as Raven is forced to let go of the hold and the frustrated figure stormed to the opposite corner, kicking the bottom rope as he got there.

The frustrated figure watched as Diamond Dallas Page used the ropes to help him stand, staring at Raven with hatred in his eyes and a grimace on his face. Tilting his head to the side like a confused animal, Raven smirks as Page pointed at Raven and roared at him, challenging him to take him down once again! Raven begins to nod his head furiously before stomping over to Page and kicking the weakened man in the gut and shoving his head underneath his armpit, signalling for the Raven Effect to the despair of the crowd. However as Raven was about to fall backwards, Page blocked it and grabbed the arm around his neck, using it to spin out of it and clawing for Raven’s head for the Diamond Cutter!! But Raven blocked that and grabbed Dallas by the waist, looking for the German suplex…but Page blocked it and span around…DIAMOND CLASH!! Page just exploded with a move that could change the course of this match! As the crowd cheers Page on, it looks like Page could have finished the man that accused Page of “holding him down”…

1!
    2!
    RAVEN KICKS OUT!

The WCW crowd groan as DDP looks into the camera with shock which transitioned into determination as he got up, backed up and waited it, yelling at Raven to “get the hell up”. Raven obliges before stumbling towards Page and Page once again looks for the Diamond Cutter but Raven pushed Page away and then lashed out with a jab at Page’s weakened face and grabbing Page…RAVEN EFFECT!! RAVEN HITS HIS FINISHER OUT OF NOWHERE!! The crowd are already pleading for Page to kick out as Raven pushes Page over and hooks the leg, confidence in his eyes…

1!
    2!
    3!
    NO!!
    PAGE IS THERE YET AGAIN WITH A LATE KICK OUT!

The shock around the arena leads to silence for a split second before the roar of the crowd cheering almost makes the gasping announce desk inaudible. One man that wasn’t quiet was Raven as he roared at the referee that it was a 3 count, once again grabbing the referee by the shirt and pulling him close, screaming in his face. Page begins to move from the big move and as he lifts his head, the red droplets hit the mat as Page reveals that the Raven Effect finally accomplished what Raven had been attempting and busted him open. Stumbling around and swinging wildly, it is obvious that Page is in a bad way and no clue where he is which allows Raven enough time to turn, smile and then stride towards his opponent. A swift kick to the gut of Page, Raven slowly grabbed Page and pulled him for another Raven Effect……NO! Page springs out of it and feels for Raven’s head for the DIAMOND CUTTER......NO! Raven pushed Page down to the mat causing the crowd to groan with disappointment. Page looks spent and Raven suddenly drops down to his knees and grabs at Page’s head and wrenching it towards him, whilst locking Page’s arm behind his head and pulling it towards him. “That’s a vice grip?!” yelled Joey Styles as Raven leans back in his seated position and DDP is screaming in pain. The referee is down by Page’s face asking whether he submits. There is a loud “NO!” in between the screams as the camera begins to zoom into Dallas’s face and the pain streaming all over his face. Raven flicked his hair up and continued to try and get further back in the hold as Dallas is shown looking around in despair before lifting his hand in the air and a collective “no!” from the crowd is heard over his screams. The hand waves before finally coming down on the mat!!

TAP!
    TAP!
    TAP!

WINNER: RAVEN (Submission; 17:09)

The sounds of DDP’s hand hitting the mat echoes around the silent arena as the crowd look on in shock, DDP has tapped out to a brand new innovative move by Raven! Raven continues to wrench back before finally letting go and walking away from Page. Raven looked down at Page, who was being checked over by the referee, before turning away and yelling at the crowd “do I have your attention now?!” before stepping up to the second rope and spread his arms out, soaking in the all the boos and laughing at the crowd before turning around and beginning to leave the ring. Joey Styles is the first to ask where Raven learned that new move but it was Larry Zyszko that didn’t care, the only thing that matters is that Diamond Dallas Page tapped out to it and Raven backed up everything he was saying. Mike Tenay agreed before saying that DDP will have to find a way to come back from this as Raven has left him in his dust. Joey is quick to point out that we will probably find out on Nitro exactly what are both men’s next moves. The shot of Diamond Dallas Page slowly getting to his feet and looking frustrated at the match result is the last thing we see of both wrestlers.

*** START VIDEO ***
    Shane McMahon is shown standing in the middle of the ring of the first Nitro of the return of World Championship Wrestling. Shane announces that the United States championship has had “some of the greatest wrestlers in the history of WCW” to hold it and with that images of Harley Race, Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Ricky Steamboat, Sting and DDP flash across the screen holding the title belt. “That is why a huge tournament will now take place, culminated at the Great American Bash!” announced Shane McMahon. The video then goes from different shots of different parts of the tournament, concentrating slightly on Lance Storm and Rob Van Dam which includes the four way confrontation between Tommy Dreamer, Lance Storm, D’Lo Brown and Rob Van Dam. We are then shown Tommy Dreamer tapping out to the Canadian Maple Leaf and Rob Van Dam flying with the Five Star Frog Splash. Shane McMahon is then heard saying “we will find the rightful United States champion at Great American Bash” with the screen split with Lance Storm celebrating on one side and Rob Van Dam on the other side.
    *** END VIDEO ***

When the hype video finished, we are shown ringside in which on a table is the WCW United States championship. Joey Styles, Larry Zybszko and Mike Tenay discuss not only the past champions but also the tournament itself, pointing out that the only person in the final four to have held the championship is Lance Storm. Joey Styles was quick to tell people at home that may not know, that Rob Van Dam held the ECW Television championship for 700 days and only lost the title due to injury. Can Rob Van Dam transfer that success from ECW to WCW? Or will ex-champion Lance Storm claim the title for a fourth time?

“TEAM CANADA”
    LANCE STORM

A less than friendly reception for the Canadian that made Tommy Dreamer submit earlier in the night. The usual stony face on the cold technical master as he walked down to the ring, ignoring the ire from all the fans that are hoping he fails in his bid for the US title. Joey Styles maps out what will possibly be Lance’s gameplan as he surmised that if Storm targeted the legs like he did with Dreamer earlier in the night, it would surely prove most of Rob Van Dam’s null and void. Larry Zyszko agreed and said that for that reason, Storm is his favourite to win the match. Storm walked around the ring and stopped in front of the vacant championship belt and looked down at it, smiling before pawing at it and then determinedly turning and sliding into the ring. Joey Styles also takes this time to quickly remind everyone that this tournament is also called the “Rising Star” tournament, which would surely mean that whoever wins this tournament will have a bright future here in WCW.

“IN MY WORLD”
    ROB VAN DAM

A great reaction which eclipsed the reaction he got from the crowd in his match against D’Lo Brown. Big smile spread across his face, Rob Van Dam steps out from the back and looks around happily at the response he just got. Joey Styles practically yells over the top of the cheers that “Rob Van Dam has fought tooth and nail to get here in WCW” and that Rob Van Dam “doesn’t know how to quit”. One man that thinks he can make Rob quit is the man he is facing as Lance Storm stares down the happy smile on Van Dam’s face. Rob leaps onto the ring apron before stepping through the ropes and before he can fully stand, Lance is already in his face trying to intimidate Rob. It doesn’t seem to be working as the loveable arrogance of Rob flows out of him and he shrugs his shoulders as referee Charles Robinson seperates both men and tells Lance to stand in his corner.

WCW UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP AND RISING STAR TOURNAMENT WINNER
    LANCE STORMvs. ROB VAN DAM

Both men are standing in their respective corners as Dave Prezner goes to lift the microphone, he doesn’t however as he suddenly steps out of the ring and the crowd give a roar as Michael Buffer steps through the ropes and is handed the microphone. Buffer looks around with a smile before lifting the microphone…

MICHAEL BUFFER:
    Tonight we will witness the crowning of a new champion for the United States championship! Are you ready for the first of TWO blockbuster main events this evening? Wrestling fans, are you RRRRRRRRRRReady?!

A huge cheer from the wrestling fans in attendance and a quick shot of Rob Van Dam look amazed by this announcement, while Lance Storm stands there, stony as always.

MICHAEL BUFFER:
    For the thousands in attendance and the millions watching around the world. From Manchester in New Hampshire in the United States of America, ladies and gentlemen…LLLLLLLLLLETS GET READY TO RUMBLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEE!!

The crowd cheered along with the announcement as Buffer is shown stepping out of the ring as referee Charles Robinson walks into the ring with the United States championship belt in his hands. Showing to both wrestlers in their corners before stepping into the middle of the ring and raising the title belt as Joey Styles asks everybody at home that this is going to be special as the bell rings…

DING!
    DING!
    DING!

The crowd are making huge noise as one of the most respected championship belts is about to have a new champion crowned for the first time since WCW returned. While the crowd are making the noise, Storm has a few tidbits of advice for Rob Van Dam which may have been unheard by the microphone but the message was clear, “lay down or I will break your leg”. Despite the menace behind these words, Rob Van Dam looks unfazed as he stops hopping from one foot to the other before looking around at the thousands cheering before pointing his thumbs at himself and yells “ROB VAN DAM” which was chorused by those thousands watching. Storm looks around at the atmosphere around him before stepping up to Rob’s face and they go nose to nose and the roars intensify. Charles Robinson tries to insert himself in between them but Storm turns to try and intimidate him, giving Rob an opportunity to connect with a spin kick which caught Lance on the side of the head! Lance reacts by sliding under the ropes and to the outside, locking an angry stare at Rob Van Dam as the crowd began their “Rob Van Dam, Rob Van Dam” chant to show their support which infuriates Lance Storm even more. Storm paces a little on the outside before slamming his hand down on the mat and stepping up to the ring apron, eyes fixated on the “Whole F’ing Show” before slowly stepping into the ring. The technical master was undoubtedly cautious as he joins Rob Van Dam in the ring once again. This time however Lance lent forward and grabbed Rob by the shoulders as they both fought to take control of the elbow tie up, it looked like Rob was about to come out the victor as Storm began to spin but that spin was nothing more than a decoy as he suddenly switched and sweeped the right leg of Rob. Lance on top of Rob as it looked like a pin attempt but Rob used those intelligent legs of his to wrap around Lance’s head. Not for long though as Storm span out of it whilst holding onto the right leg again and this time stomped down. A yelp of pain from Rob gave Storm the signal he needed as he swooped down to try and grab that leg, Rob wasn’t allowing the game plan to come to fruition as he used his other leg to kick Storm off his feet and leapt to his feet, whilst Storm span to his knees and they both stared each other down. A roar of approval from the crowd paused the match briefly as the efforts of both men are appreciated.

The applause didn’t last long though as Storm lunged to try and get a hold of Rob but he was forced to change his trajectory to avoid another spin kick from Rob. That didn’t stop Storm for long though as he leapt from his feet and dropkicked Rob straight in the face. This gave Storm the opportunity for the next 5 minutes to pull and prod that right leg, his gameplan already mapped out and the technician picking Rob apart. Van Dam found himself in a figure four leg lock, fighting the urge to slam his hand on the mat and pulling both his and Storm’s body across the ring and reaching out for the bottom rope. The “Rob Van Dam” chants around the arena were surfacing again as Rob seized the rope and the claps erupted. Storm wasted no time though as he slammed Rob’s right leg down before guiding the high flier to his feet and grabbing hold, Storm lifted Rob up and then brought him down with a shin breaker. As quick as a flash, Storm was grabbing the right leg again and slamming down with a leg drop onto it before covering for a 2 count. Storm looks around at the crowd before throwing out his hands, signalling to “finish it” before stalking his prey and pawing for the right leg. It’s obvious what he is aiming to do as he tries to spin Rob over but Van Dam is ready and kicks Storm away. It doesn’t work fully though as Storm still holds onto the right leg and stands up still holding it. Quick as a spin top though, the “Whole F’in Show” suddenly kipped up on ONE LEG and smashed across the face of Storm with a one legged enziguri which erupted the crowd! Joey Styles dubbed that as the “brilliance of Van Dam” whilst Zyszko and Tenay question how RVD managed to do that. What that move did though was give RVD a small respite as both men got to their feet at the same time. Storm was greeted by fists from Rob though as he kicked out at him before Rob span with a spinning heel kick, the damage was showing on Rob’s face though as pain must have pulsated through his right leg. Rob’s pain stricken face turned into determination as he limped to his feet and saw Storm on the mat, adrenaline pumping, Rob rolled across the ring and landed on his back on top of Storm with the Rolling Thunder! Rob quickly hooks the leg of Storm…

1!
    2!
    STORM KICKS OUT!

The kick out must have been expected as Rob was jumping to his feet and limping to the corner as Storm crawls into his own corner. Rob sprinted at Lance in the corner and grabbed hold before flipping him across the ring with such force that Storm flips over Rob and continues to flip, landing on his face! The cheers continue as Rob bounces off the top rope and back onto Lance with the split legged moonsault!

1!
    2!
    ……
    NO! LANCE STORM KICKS OUT AGAIN!

The onslaught continues as speed and continuous attacks is obviously Mr Wednesday Night’s game plan. Storm was starting to fight to his knees and Rob grabs him and lifts him with the lifting double underhook facebuster before covering once again and once again Storm kicked out. Mr PPV lifted himself to his feet and waited for Storm to get to his feet before spinning his leg, looking for that spinning leg kick again but Storm must have been expecting it because he caught the leg with his right arm and slammed down with a legbreaker! The scream in pain told the crowd what they needed to know, the match had changed and Storm’s game plan shows its positives. Just like that Storm has grounded Rob once again. The damage that had been dealt by RVD was evident though as Lance took some time to get to his feet before stomping on the right leg once again. Confusion around the arena though as Storm stepped through the ropes and onto the ring apron before turning and looking at the fallen Van Dam. Storm then leapt onto the rope with his knees and flipped straight down onto the right leg of RVD with the springboard senton!! The “ooh” sound around the arena accentuated the thud of Lance’s landed. Realising that the match could be won with that move, Storm grabbed the injured leg and started to wrap it around his own and starts to try and turn Rob for the sharpshooter!! Rob fought back though and began to kick Storm away before kicking Storm into the ropes, the rebound was unfortunate for Storm though as he bounces off the ropes and into a small package from RVD. The referee got down but just before the count of 3, Storm managed to kick out! Trying to use momentum to his advantage, Storm span out of the pin and rushed up to the top rope. Standing on the top turnbuckle, Storm suddenly flew with a crossbody……but RVD saw it coming and flipped the spinning heel kick into the falling Storm! RVD still screamed in pain as it was his right leg that connected with Storm’s face. It took some time but RVD managed to drag himself across the ring and put his arm over Storms!!

1!
    2!
    ……
    NO! STORM SPRINGS ALIVE AGAIN!

Head in his hands, the devastated look of RVD’s is mirrored by a lot of fans around the arena. Using the ropes as a means to get to his feet, the limp that RVD had was evident but he started to climb to the top rope despite it. RVD slowly stood before flying for the FIVE STAR FROG SPLASH……BUT STORM SPRANG UP WHILST RVD WAS IN MIDAIR AND AVOIDED IT, GRABBING HOLD OF THE LEGS AND LOCKING IN THE CANADIAN MAPLE LEAF!!! Despair surrounded the two combatants as the crowd worried that their hero was about to lose this important match. The loud “please don’t tap” began to ring around the arena, unable to drown out the screams of pain coming from Rob Van Dam. Pathetically flailing an arm out, Rob’s face squeezed in pain as he tried to feel for his injured right leg. Like a wounded animal, Rob began to claw towards the side of the ring. The noise level of the place was at palpable level as Rob desperately scratching his way across the ring and finally found himself within touching distance of the ropes that would save him. The rumble of applause began to rear its head as a fingertip brushed along the rope…when Lance Storm began to drag RVD away from the ropes and causing the crowd to cry out. Hair all over the place and tears welling in his eyes, RVD looked like he was beginning to fade as the pain radiating from his leg continued to be wrenched. RVD’s eyes seemed to begin to glaze over as Charles Robinson continued to question Rob if he wanted to continue. The limp like body of RVD not answering Charles as Charles lifted RVD’s arm to see if he was still conscious……before the arm even began to fall, RVD woke up and shook his head in pain. RVD was still alive despite Lance get lower and lower into the stretch! Just like he did earlier, Rob clawed at the mat and started to drag Lance with him, the crowd STILL egging him on. The centimetres turned to inches turned to millimetres as FINALLY Rob Van Dam clasped the bottom rope to a huge reaction from the crowd! Charles quickly looked to break up the submission and alleviate the pain that must be aching at Rob’s legs.

In a state of fury, Lance slammed the right leg down and screamed at the referee that he “must have tapped”. Joey Styles applauding the fighting spirit of Rob Van Dam but it was Tenay that pointed out that Storm’s anger will lead to him punishing Rob Van Dam. Proving Tenay right, Storm stomped on the right leg before yanking Rob away from the ropes and pulling Rob to his feet. Rob began to hop and looked like he was going to go for another enziguri but this time Storm ducked it and switched from holding the leg to grabbing Rob and throwing him with a German suplex! Storm quickly moved for the pinfall but Rob kicked out at 2. Beginning to look desperate, Lance looked around the ring before smiling at the corner. Giving the crowd another look of disgust, Storm began to scale to the top rope and stood on the top rope before…SUDDENLY FLYING WITH HIS OWN FROG SPLASH!! BUT RVD MOVED!! The irate reaction by Joey Styles was mirrored by the fans as they deplore Storm’s arrogance. Seeing this as his chance though, RVD began to gingerly climb to the top rope, still holding onto his right leg. It looked like Rob was about to fly but just as he stood, he lost his footing and sat back down on the corner. Not ones to allow their hero to give up, the crowd began to direct Rob to stand back up and he did so, albeit gingerly, before FLYING WITH THE FIVE STAR FROG SPLASH……AND CONNECTING WITH STORMS BOOT AS STORM LEAPT UP AND UNLOADED WITH THE SUPERKICK!! From joy to despair, the Verizon Wireless Arena watched on as Lance Storm crawled and hooked the leg, exhausted from his efforts…

1!
    2!
    3!!!

NO!!! RVD SOMEHOW MANAGED TO GET THE SHOULDER UP AT 2.999!

The place is absolutely deafening at that kick out as Lance looks at the referee in shock before slamming his hand down onto the mat. “CAN YOU COUNT TO 3?!” was the demanding shout from Storm, unable to clarify just how RVD is still alive in this match. Whilst the “Canadian Technician” argued with the referee, a battered and injured Rob Van Dam began to climb towards the ropes and looked like he was about to topple out of the ring. Noticing his prey scuttling away, Storm followed and seized at RVD’s hair pulling him to his feet whilst on the ring apron. The ring ropes separating them, Storm hugged the shoulders of Rob and began to lift him up before suddenly stepping onto the bottom rope to get more leverage in an impressive feat of strength! Joey gasped at what looked like was going to be a huge brainbuster when RVD began to punch at the face of Storm. After a few shots, Storm dropped Rob onto the ring apron and backed off. Rob suddenly lifted himself up and jumped off the ropes, launching himself at him and spinning with a springboard Senton!! The crowd came alive once again for the offence of Rob Van Dam but Rob was too hurt to be able to get up or even to cover Storm. Beginning his count, Charles Robinson was slowly crawling to the 10 count as Storm and Rob began to climb to their feet. They both turned into a fist fight as both men refused to quit and refused to give ground to the other. It looked like Rob was rocking Storm backwards when he flicked a kick in his direction, unfortunately Storm caught the kick and held it there. That led to Storm kicking the remaining leg from under RVD and turning him over…LOCKING IN THE CANADIAN MAPLE LEAF AGAIN!! Surely Rob can’t get to the ropes this time?! Another round of “please don’t tap” Mexican waved its way around the arena as Rob looked like he was trying to reach out for the ropes. Storm was having none of it though and pulled Rob further away from the ropes, amide the frustrated shouts by RVD. Storm almost sunk to his knee as he really got into the stretch. Changing tact, RVD began to roll from his belly onto his back as he looked to break up the hold. Clocking on to what he was trying, Storm twisted the right leg again but the ever determined Rob Van Dam suddenly kicked out, causing Storm to bounced off of him and into the ropes. Storm fell forwards and suddenly RVD rolled him up with a small package!!

1!
    2!
    3!!!!

WINNER: ROB VAN DAM(Pinfall; 26:56)
    ROB VAN DAM WINS THE UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP AND THE RISING STAR TOURNAMENT!

The thunderous roar from the crowd echoed the joy in Joey Styles’ voice as he announced that “Rob Van Dam has done it!”. Storm was shown shocked in the ring as confetti began to fall from the top of the arena and RVD was pulling himself up with help from the ropes and the referee. Leaning on the ropes, Rob is handed the United States championship and with a beaming smile, lifted it high into the air which is greeted by a cheer. Storm is shown being ushered from the ring, his look of shock water falling into anger as he looked on at the new United States champion, basking in the confetti and the glory. The new champion is obviously injured but he doesn’t allow this to stop his big moment. Lance Storm on the other hand is shown storming up the ramp and to the backstage area. Joey Styles praising Rob Van Dam for his fight and determination with a rare agreeance by Larry Zyszko as Zyszko announced that Rob Van Dam proved he was the best in the tournament and deserving of the championship. Mike Tenay also praised Rob Van Dam before praising his opponent, who had a great gameplan and executed it to near perfection and only really lost the match due to a slight error. “I actually agree with you, it was a great wrestling clinic by probably the best shoot wrestler in WCW” was the simple answer by Joey Styles. “Don’t forget that tonight isn’t over, we STILL have the WCW World Heavyweight championship to be decided!” claimed Mike Tenay as the commentators segway from the picture of Rob Van Dam into the hype video for the main event…

*** START VIDEO ***
    Slow black and white footage of Booker T hitting the BookEnd on Scott Steiner and winning the WCW World Heavyweight championship at the last Nitro before closure. Celebrating in front of that “final” WCW Nitro crowd, Booker lifts the championship in the air and the shot freeze frames on him celebrating. Whilst the image is still frozen, Jeff Jarrett’s voice saying “New beginnings bring new champions” and the image switches to Jeff Jarrett standing in the ring with the new owner of WCW, Shane McMahon. “We are friends and you make good business decisions, I am that good business decision” continues Jeff Jarrett when Booker T is shown staring Jeff down. “You want to talk about eras? Your “era” almost killed WCW” is heard from Booker as the keyboard of “Papercut” begins to play and just as the drums and guitar slam into play we are shown Jeff Jarrett smashing his well-known guitar over the head of Booker T before the song sank into the background as Jeff Jarrett claimed that Booker T “wasn’t a star, you were just the guy that was left”. Booker T is shown retorting “you rely on friends in the business, I rely on hard work and that is why I stand here, WCW World Heavyweight champion!” Linkin Park continues to play as Booker T is shown hitting a BookEnd on Ric Steiner and then Jeff Jarrett is shown pinning Dustin Rhodes after “The Stroke”. “I will beat you at the Great American Bash because I am THE BEST that WCW has to offer and that title should be around MY waist”, “Papercut” is almost coming to its height when Booker T replies with “I’m going to prove you are all talk, backstage and in the ring and when Nitro comes to Grove Rodeo Arena, I’LL STILL BE CHAMPION!”. With that final statement the music stops dead and both men are face to face, Booker with the title in the air and all that can be heard is the heavy breathing of both competitors.
    *** END VIDEO ***

As the hype video ends, Joey Styles leads us into the main event by saying thank you to Linkin Park for the “great theme song of Papercut” and that Papercut describes perfectly the animosity between Jeff Jarrett and Booker T. The camera then shows the ring and inside the ring is Michael Buffer…

MICHEAL BUFFER: Ladies and gentlemen for the second time this evening, I welcome you to the MMMAIN EVENT OF THE EVENING! FOR THE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP!

A big reaction for the second announcement by legendary announcer Michael Buffer.

MICHAEL BUFFER: So for the thousands in attendance and the millions watching at home, LLLLLLLLLETTT’S GET READY TO RUMBLLLLLLLLEEEEEEE!!

The big cheer from the crowd greet this announcement as Joey Styles, Mike Tenay and Larry Zyszko welcome everyone to the main event too with Joey Styles telling us that the United States championship is treasured but the World Heavyweight championship is the most sought after title in pro wrestling today. Zyszko agrees and says that whoever wins tonight is the leader of the “new era” of WCW and there is no better candidate than Jeff Jarrett. Mike Tenay disagrees and points out that Jeff Jarrett was a leader during the last era and that WCW needs something fresh and new. “Why take the risk? Why not go for what you know works?” questioned by Larry Zyszko to which Joey Styles scathingly replied “it obviously didn’t work before”.

“THE CHOSEN ONE”
    JEFF JARRETT

A no nonsense entrance begins as “The Chosen One” Jeff Jarrett comes walking out, guitar in hand and sunglasses on. Joey Styles immediately questions why Jeff is bringing a guitar to the ring but Zyszko cuts it off and reminds everyone that he always brings the guitar with him. The reaction itself must have been a let down to Jeff because he stepped close to someone in the crowd and feigned that he would use the guitar, causing the crowd member to flinch. Laughing at the cowardice, it generated a few boos from the crowd as Jeff rolled into the ring and lifted the guitar in the air before turning and waiting for the champion.

“RAP SHEET”
    WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION
    BOOKER T

A huge reaction, either tied with RVD’s or louder you decide, as Booker T steps out onto the stage with the WCW championship wrapped around his waist. Looking around at the crowd around him, Booker nods his head before leaping in the air and fire blasts behind him from the stage. That was when Booker locked eyes on Jeff Jarrett before walking down to the ring and holding his hands out to the nearby public. Joey Styles and Mike Tenay welcome their World Heavyweight champion whilst Zyszko took this opportunity to question whether “that man is worthy” of the championship. Joey audibly scoffs and says that tonight we find out. Booker stepped through the ropes before raising his arms up to the crowd which draws a cheer before Booker turns and once again locks eyes with his challenger.

WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
    JEFF JARRETT vs. BOOKER T

DING!
    DING!
    DING!

With the buzz from the last match seeping into the anticipation of this match, the crowd makes a lot of noise for Booker T. Ignoring the bias Jeff Jarrett was instead talking to the champion, pointing at the championship and then around the arena, telling him that his “fairy tale is over”. Champion and challenger come together in the middle of the ring, will Jeff Jarrett prove himself right about Booker T? This match will decide. The early exchange between the two was even with the first time that either man takes the advantage being when Jeff caught Booker with a quick dropkick. It wasn’t long before Booker was spinning back up as he stepped towards Jeff, who threw him with an arm drag. Feeling the momentum on his side, Jeff waited for Booker to get back up and threw him with another arm drag. Problem with the arm drags though was that it was a move where Booker could bounce back up to and Jeff seemed to have realised that because when the champion bounced up the third time, it was a rocking spinebuster that sent him down to the mat with Jeff looking for the flash pinfall…

1!
    2!
    BOOKER KICKS OUT!

Surely not expecting that to put the champion away, Jeff allowed Booker to get to his feet before ducking a wild clothesline from the champion which allowed the challenger to take the champion down again with a swinging neckbreaker. A few near falls later and the challenger is definitely in control of proceedings. What woke the champion up however was when Jeff went for The Stroke, to which Booker countered with a roll up for a 2 count. Both men pop back up but it is Booker T that hits the clothesline to knock Jeff down. With both men looking like they have something to prove tonight, Jeff to prove that he is the leader of the new era and Booker to prove that he isn’t a “paper champion”, the match continues to be quite level. The champion takes down the challenger with the Harlem sidekick before covering…

1!
    2!
    JEFF JARRETT IS STILL ALIVE!

Booker quickly looks at the referee before unloading with right hands and kicks to the challenger, leading him into the corner. A throat thrust later and Jeff is bouncing off the corner and Booker slams him with the 110th Street Slam!

1!
    2!
    STILL JEFF JARRETT KICKS OUT!

It looked like the champion knew he would have to do more as he was covering there and Jeff proved him right by kicking out. The crowd begins to encourage the champion to finish the match, Booker scoops up Jarrett looking to finally end this. Booker grabs him around the shoulders, looking to finish this match with the Book End! Jeff is still awake though and starts to elbow his way out of the dangerous predicament and the WCW champion, causing Booker to let go. Booker begins to spin around when Jeff Jarrett grabs Booker from behind and HITS THE STROKE OUT OF NOWHERE!! The fans look on in shock at this turn of events as Jeff hooks the leg of the champion!

1!
    2!
    3!!!

NO!!!! THE WCW CHAMPION GOT HIS FOOT ON THE NEARBY ROPES!

Jeff Jarrett lets out a guttural scream of despair before begin to rise himself from his knees, looking around with evil intent in his eyes. Eyes searching the crowd before eventually locking on his target, his guitar at ringside. Jeff ducked under the ropes and swiped up his guitar and the nearby WCW World Heavyweight championship belt. Lifting them both in the air for the crowd to see, the boos rain down and awash the challenger as he threw the title belt into the ring. Sliding limply into the middle of the ring, Charles Robinson begins to walk off to remove the championship out of the ring. Jeff looks to take advantage as he quickly rushes the ring, guitar in hand and stalks the champion. Raising the guitar up like a baseball bat waiting for the pitch, Booker stumbles up and turns…before ducking the swing and grabbing Jeff Jarrett, BOOK END!! The champion has ducked and reversed the ending of this match! Booker drops to his knees and hooks the leg, has he done enough?

1!
    2!
    3!

WINNER: BOOKER T (Pinfall; 8:44)
    BOOKER T RETAIN THE WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP!

The crowd give a cheer but they also seem to be in shock that the match ended so quickly. Joey Styles claims that “any match can swing like a pendulum” as Booker T stands up and is handed his championship belt for him to raise. What a night for the return of WCW to pay-per-view! Booker manages steps out of the ring and celebrates with people in the front row as the World Heavyweight champion proved that he was deserving of the title. Will be the leader of the new era? That will remain to be seen but for tonight at least, Booker T is top of the pile in the world of professional wrestling!

NEXT: JULY 2001
    Coming in two weeks

QUICK GREAT AMERICAN BASH RESULTS:

Spoiler:

Lance Storm def. Tommy Dreamer
    Rob Van Dam def. D’Lo Brown
    Curt Hennig def. Bam Bam Bigelow
    WCW Cruiserweight Championship: Chavo Guerrero def. Shane Helms (=o=) to become new Cruiserweight champion
    Shane Douglas def. Dustin Rhodes
    Raven def. Diamond Dallas Page
    WCW United States Championship and Rising Star Tournament Final: Rob Van Dam def. Lance Storm to become the new United States champion and first ever Rising Star tournament winner
    WCW World Heavyweight Championship: Booker T (=o=) def. Jeff Jarrett
    Last edited by DarkestEarth; 10-09-2016 at 10:41 AM.

Indy Talent

Status

Wow, this might be one of my favorite projects on this forum now. I loved this time period and I felt like you delivered it better than anybody honestly, no offense Big Papa :p different style but still good lol. The first thing I want to say is that I love your formatting. It is very simple and straight to the point but it is easy to read and it really grabs your attention with neutral colors that don't look too out of place. One thing I really love about this BTB though is the "boxes" that you use, especially with the pre-tapes and promo videos...the amount of detail you put in these segments is awesome and really kind of gets you invested into the project. You have a lot of different things about this BTB that makes it work and makes it unique and makes it good. By the way I didn't even realize you gave me a shout out! That's awesome too man! Haha thank you! This probably will inspire the crap out of me on my project honestly

As for the review of the show...here goes

- First off this was the perfect match to start the night, and I love this Rising Star tournament you have going on. I like the fact that you are building up this US Championship to be like the IC belt in the sense of this is the belt for the true workhorses. I feel like WCW and the NWA started with that, but then it kind of faded off. I'm glad you are focusing on bringing legitimacy back to the belt. As for Storm vs Dreamer? Absolute gold. Both men looked stronger than ever but having Storm walk away with the tap out on a certified tough guy and "hardcore legend" like Dreamer? That was perfect in getting Storm over. His cold promo at the end was a nice touch too to really solidify him as a monster who will stop at nothing to take over and show his dominance. Glad you had him basically say he doesn't care if it is D'LO or Van Dam who he has to face, it makes him seem even more like a bad ass lol. The guy has the wrestling skill and if you can give him a cold demeanor like that...it's going to be awesome. I see Van Dam coming out with the title in the end because of his popularity, but I also see a feud continuing with Storm and maybe a possible after match beat down from the sadistic Storm. You have given Storm direction and that is awesome!

- I like this new D'LO character you got going on too that he isn't going to just wait around and is going to take what's his! Very powerful stuff, especially from a guy who up to this point had really not been able to take that brass ring and run with it previously. Just like the original match you let both men get a very decent amount of offense in, but having Van Dam come out with exciting win with his frog splash was definitely the right move. The fans obviously want Van Dam to come out victorious for the belt and you have built Van Dam up as the perfect "cool baby face". Nice little nuance with D'LO hugging Van Dam too and telling him to walk away with the gold later tonight. It not only gave Van Dam some momentum going into his match against Storm, but even moreso it made Storm seem as if he is a legitimate machine that can't be stopped and that Van Dam is going to have to use the support and himself to go over Storm in this match. It was just like a classic Rocky type move which I love! I can imagine D'LO even being kind of emotional as he walks out of the ring and screams for Van Dam to please take the belt tonight. Solid booking from top to bottom.

- Hahah Jeff Jarrett is awesome. Wasn't too keen on him basically shitting on the US title meaning anything, but from such a snarky slimy heel like Jarrett during this time, I think it put him over and didn't really tarnish the US title because no one is going to really listen to what he says about it anyways. Jarrett seems like the odds on favorite to win the title match later tonight, and his promo was exactly what he needed to take all the heat in the arena and put it on himself. Continues to build up the later happenings in the show. Straight to the point and did it's job perfectly.

- Hennig's match with Bam Bam was as expected, and actually turned out to be a pretty damn good match. Glad you let Hennig walk away with the win here and basically slaying the monster in Bam Bam. You have a lot of potential still left in Bam Bam, but if tonight is any indication, Hennig is going to have that one final run that solidifies him as a legend. Hennig came out looking very strong against the big man and having Bam Bam control a big portion of the match was definitely the right thing to do. I liked that you sold how much it took out of Hennig to win, but that he still was able to defy the odds and beat the big man. Great match and great story telling.

- This next match really surprised the hell out of me! First off in your promo video you made the Cruiserweight title actually mean something and matter, rather than just this whole "oh look it's a bunch of high spots! this is fun to watch!" You gave these two a story that they could really sink their teeth into so when the match actually happened they had a lot to work on. Chavo was resilient as hell with all the kick outs and it seemed like Helms was just not going to be able to keep him down. The match had a nice flow to it and both men like the previous matches were both able to come out looking as strong as ever. Glad you let Chavo come out with the win. Was a little surprised with how many times Helms had him in the cross hairs, but it definitely was the right choice. If you let Chavo really go to town on some promos he could be the highlight of your show most definitely.

- The Douglas/Rhodes match even though wasn't a classic bout of Rhodes finally getting his revenge, definitely served it's purpose and sold these two. Douglas coming off with the shady finish sold him as a top notch heel and allows for this thing to continue passed tonight. I personally can't wait to see what Dustin does to Douglas once he is finally able to get his hands on him and no shady business happens. One thing I commend especially in this match was the commentary during it and after. You did such a great job with commentary that it really sold the match in what a wrestling pure-ist would shit all over most likely. Zybysko backing Douglas to such a degree just instantly gave Douglas so much heat in this match and allowed for Rhodes to come off as like a martyr almost. Looking forward to seeing where else this goes.

- On the opposite of Jarrett, Booker T gave a very emotional promo as well. Just like Jeff's promo, this sold the title match as must see TV and I honestly at this point have no idea who is going to win this match later tonight. Booker T came off as very relatable and a guy that the crowd could truly get behind, especially against such a slimy asshole heel as Jarrett. I hope you let Booker T walk away with the win here because he is a very strong champion, especially during this time. He was at the top of his game.

- You really WOWed me with the DDP/Raven match. I wouldn't be that interested had I not actually read the match and saw the emotion between these two and the back and forthness. They had the entire crowd on the edge of their seat and it looked like about 3 or 4 different times during the match that the outcome could go either way. Raven and Page looked very strong and looked like they could be main event players right now on the scene. Surprised that you had Raven submit DDP though! I can imagine the shock in the crowd with Raven going over Page to that degree, but I love it! It has that old school shock factor that really drew me in as a wrestling fan when I was a kid. Raven is going to have major bragging rights going out of tonight with that new move, and just like during the Rhodes/Douglas match, the commentary team sold the shit out of this match and outcome. When reading it, I could almost envision the crowd with their mouths dropped open at this finish. Gold my man, absolute gold.

- But if you want to talk about five star matches, I don't think you could go any further than this Van Dam/Storm match. The match had everything that a good match needs to tell a story. The psychology between the two was through the roof and the nearfalls kept everyone on the edge of their seats. Storm looked like an absolute machine, but Van Dam had the will of the crowd and in himself to walk away with the win. Very nice way to end it though with an exciting small package. Again like I said before, I don't see this feud ending and I feel like Storm is going to go completely irate once he gets his senses back and he is going to destroy Van Dam on Nitro. Van Dam lets the fans go home happy for this bout, which was the right decision through and through.

- WOW. The main event delivered when I felt like the US title match would be something almost undefeatable. Jarrett would just not go down and tried to use every single trick up his sleeve to take the world title but Booker T just came in and completely derailed him in the end. This is how a baby face is booked, and this is how a heel is booked. These two left 50 times more stock in them after the match and Booker T walking away with the title was a nice way to send the crowd home happy, and elevate him that he is THE GUY. I don't see Jarrett taking this lightly, but for the time being Booker T is the champ, and deserving so.

Overall a fantastic PPV and I can't wait to really delve into your project completely when you start doing it show for show. Definitely have a reader in me man!

Netflix Presents: Extreme Championship Wrestling, A Paul Heyman Production
    -Review 4 Review-

BTB Awards and Recognitions

Spoiler:

#wc4horsemen

People's Champion

Status

WCW Great American Bash Review

World Title This was built to well enough with Jarrett proving to be a thorn in Booker's side. I'm sure that this continues at least another month before maybe someone fresh comes into/back into the company to be Booker's rival. Definitely the right result to have Book go over and solidify his status as the champ.

US Title I really enjoyed this concept, barring D-Lo Brown's inclusion of course. Don't think he measures up with the guys involved and RVD/Awesome in the semi-final might have been a better pick. You must utilise Awesome somehow, he's one of my favourite wrestlers and is your best big guy in my opinion. Back to the tournament and I expected RVD/Storm in the final but I thought you might go for Storm to sneak the win. Match of the night by far although I'm sceptical of Storm countering a Five Star with a Superkick haha. Storm/RVD II please.

Raven vs DDP The Raven character. I loved Raven and I definitely feel his vibe of why he was put down in not just WCW but also WWF when he had enough about him to be a big character in each organisation. I'm not sure if it was overlooked but I would love to see more in depth story about the longer history between the two. Raven getting the win with a submission is definitely different and I'm keen to see where this feud goes next.

Douglas vs Rhodes Well it wasn't much of a match but the build was pretty good. Douglas got right into the head of Rhodes and it cost him at GAB. Good start to a feud that I can see Dusty being brought into eventually.

Cruiserweight Title A title change is interesting here and I can see this being a feud where the face chases. In fairness this show needed a heel champion and Chavo really fits the bill. He outfought Helms tonight and I think he will hold onto the title for a bit. At this moment in time he's one of the best cruiserweights in the world.

Hennig Win I won't say much on this as Hennig is probably one of my all time favourite wrestlers. Enough said. Although adding to that I do believe this could be a great swan song for Hennig.

Tag Team Bit shocked to see all straight up singles matches on the show. And can I ask if it has not been mentioned why you sent the WCW Tag Champs down to developmental and left Kronik as the only out and out tag team in WCW. Those developmental rosters are a bit insane too.

Overall DE I am definitely intrigued by this project. 2001 WWF, WCW or ECW are my fave nostalgia projects and if I ever leave my work it is probably where I'd go. Great stuff, keep it up and I'll keep on reading my friend.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sykotic View Post
    Tag Team Bit shocked to see all straight up singles matches on the show. And can I ask if it has not been mentioned why you sent the WCW Tag Champs down to developmental and left Kronik as the only out and out tag team in WCW. Those developmental rosters are a bit insane too
    First of all, thank you for not only the review but also for reading in the first place. It's always great to have readers and especially ones that are enjoying my work!

As for the points I have quoted here from you Syk, the lack of tag titles was a purposeful choice. Three reasons are for this, the first being that there simply is no tag teams in WCW bar Natural Born Thrillers (sent to developmental for reasons I will cover in a bit) and Kronik and when it comes to me booking, I like to have a build for tag teams and also like to try different wrestlers with different tag partners over a month or so basis. The second was the spotlight I felt the US title needed, I wanted that title to feel almost as important as the World Heavyweight title and I used the whole month and show to bring prestige and spotlight to that title. Lastly, I think it helps bring another wrinkle to the WCW project, after all Shane and Dana aren't going to shake a wand and suddenly every title feels prestigious and important, mistakes will be made and not having the tag titles on the first PPV can be chalked down to a mistake that wrestling critics would pick up on and would allow when the tag titles are brought in to seem like a response to that.

Natural Born Thrillers have been sent to developmental because they needed work individually, I've always been a fan of O'Haire and I wanted to get him better in my TEW game and I felt like that was quite realistic for of Dana and Shane to do in real life. It also gives me the challenge of creating more tag teams for the "division".

I also thought I'd quickly tackle the developmental rosters, now I knew when I was writing this up that the criticism of some of the best wrestlers in the world being signed would come up, however in my personal opinion I think it would make sense for Shane and Dana to try and get as many good young wrestlers in developmental (especially after try outs run by Dana). Also the rosters were picked specifically for where the development territory is (for example, Punk, Cabana and Steel are at the Chicago based one) and I think it would make sense for up and coming wrestlers such as that to be trying out for that promotion. They won't be storming the roster straight away by any means, like the first post has said this project was helped by TEW and you can't just dump wrestlers on Nitro and get good ratings. Every wrestler in the developmental company has to be built up and that takes time. We won't suddenly have Samoa Joe, CM Punk, Bryan Danielson and Bobby Roode on Nitro and it won't be happening anytime soon. Hopefully that puts aside any problems you have with the rosters Syk?

Again thank you so much for reading this, I love getting reviews good or bad and love having an audience!

Status

WCW Great American Bash Reviews

"WCW and Shane McMahon's return to pay-per-view was definitely a mixed bag but ultimately was definitely a step in the right direction. Gone are the needless interference and nonsensical booking decisions with the only "shady" ending being Dustin Rhodes and Shane Douglas. A very good cruiserweight title match, a passable main event and a good return for Curt Hennig but the shining light of the whole pay-per-view was the spotlight on the United States championship. Opening the pay-per-view with two good matches gave us the two rightful finalist before Rob Van Dam and Lance Storm stole the whole show and gave us a match of the year contender. No tag team titles was definitely an issue and having the wrong match on last definitely hurt the overall show. **** stars"

"Whilst WWF is still suffering from the hangover of their fantastic Wrestlemania, WCW returned to pay-per-view for the first time since the dismal Greed PPV in March. It was a welcome return as WCW had a great flow from starting the show with the Rising Star tournament, building to a fantastic match between Lance Storm and new US champion Rob Van Dam. This did however lead to a bit of a letdown of a main event but the greatness of the match prior had enough good faith in the crowd and the audience. The cruiserweight title match looks to have proven that the new WCW has faith in the division. The questionable decision to not have the tag team titles on the show will probably be proven right after such a great showing for the United States championship. Curt Hennig also made his "debut" for WCW and whilst not his best effort, he looked like a bankable star to get behind in a company missing a lot of star power. This pay-per-view did more for my interest in the next episode of Nitro than Vince Russo's pay-per-view advertisements for the same show ever did." - Dave Meltzer

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    ro=Romania

WCW Great American Bash Review

The Bash opened extremely well with Dreamer vs Storm. If anyone can get a great match out of Tommy , a good brawler , it is your master technician Storm. The follow-up with RVD vs D'Lo Brown was equally hot and i loved that you had two very captivating matches that set the tone for a good wrestling night.

Hennig vs Bam Bam . I don't have too much knowledge on WCW as in Romania we got wrestling around 2005 when Cena was battling Umaga in that huge Last Man Standing so i can't say what status Bam Bam had in WCW at this point and why you chose to ignore the history . A promo of redeeming himself would have helped Mr. Perfect . I guess you chose to go this way because you need imperfections too. However, it seemed that this was an extended squash that you could put very well on a Nitro main-event.

Shane vs Dustin - Now this feud about legacy and embarrassment is a very good choice and i actually liked the DQ finish . It forwards the feud a lot and now you can heat it up really well. Good execution

Torn on the result of DDP vs Raven . In essence the win of the heel is logical . But a submission loss ? I'll have a hard time buying into DDP getting back in the feud.

The low of the night - No tag title match . I saw you addressed it . Which is very good. Maybe a team of Awesome and Bam Bam ? Either way you only have two teams and two talented big men would make the division surely stronger.

The Title matches - Chavo beating Shane Helms clean is not bad. Chavo starts a hot reign and hopefully you will soon involve also Kidman . You could go the distance with Shane chasing. Same with RVD vs Storm . A wrestling clinic and a cradle finish that moves the feud forward while giving you options down the road.

The World Title - Built well, PPV interviews. Absolutely everything went very well until the match . As i was reading , i though that honestly you will put it on Jeff because the big moves came out fast . These 2 are very good wrestlers and could have delivered big time. Booker winning was a decision i liked , but under 10 minutes ? Who did Jarrett annoy ?

Again , sorry if i am not very clued on WCW . I found your backstory and thread interesting . This is the kind of review i would leave for a promotion i watched . Such as ROH , TNA or WWE. Hope you don't get mad i stopped by . Good luck . You have a reader.

Thread Information