Thread: NJPW King of Pro Wrestling 2016 - October 10th 2016

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

NJPW NJPW King of Pro Wrestling 2016 - October 10th 2016

Announced Card:

Bullet Club (Adam Cole, Yujiro Takahashi and Bad Luck Fale) Vs Chaos (Tomohiro Ishii, Will Ospreay and Yoshi-Hashi)

Bobby Fish, Ryusuke Taguchi, Togi Makabe and Tomoaki Honma Vs Chaos (Beretta, Rocky Romero, Jado and Toru Yano)

NOAH (Go Shiozaki, Katsuhiko Nakajima, Masa Kitamiya and Maybach Taniguchi) Vs The Dads (Yuji Nagata, Manubu Nakanishi, Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Satoshi Kojima)

IWGP Jr Tag Team Championship
    The Young Bucks (c) Vs Ricochet and David Finlay

IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship
    The Briscoe Brothers (c) Vs G.O.D.

Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuyori Naito, Sanada, Evil and Bushi) Vs Hiroshi Tanahashi, KUSHIDA, Jay Lethal and Big Mike Elgin

NEVER Openweight Championship
    Katsuyori Shibata (c) Vs Kyle O'Rielly

Dome Briefcase on the line
    Kenny Omega Vs Hirooki Goto

IWGP Heavyweight Championship
    Kazuchika Okada (c) Vs Naomichi Marufuji

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: NJPW King of Pro Wrestling 2016 - October 10th 2016

Haven't really been following:

What happened to Matt Sydal?

Any must watch matches of the past year?

I know going into the G1 one, everyone wasn't taking too kindly to Marufuji, has he shaped up or has NJPW simply run out of challengers and decided to toss Marufuji in?

Glad to see KOR getting a push out of the tag division. I like to think that with Shibata as Openweight, the title feels a great deal more respected, especially with the much lauded Nagata feud, seems NJPW knows how to treat its titles (Junior & Junior Tags aside) a bit better. Hope KOR can grow with the company but he strikes me as someone who wouldn't survive in any of the big Japan/Mexico/American companies as World Champ for anything longer than a transitional period and so his best bet is to be a ROH world champ.

Ospreay/Cole/Ishii seem wasted.

Is G.O.D. still shitty?

Not a very exciting card if I'm all too honest.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Sydal apparently had passport/travel issues but there's *unfounded* rumours swirling that he was caught with illicit substances (the devils plant)

Any must watches of the past year? From G1 - Marufuji/Okada, Tanahashi/Okada, Ishii/Okada, Naito/Omega, Tanahashi/Fale, Nakajima/Shibata, Elgin/Naito, Elgin/Omega, Marufuji/Tanahashi, Omega/Goto, Goto/Marufuji and I am surely missing a fuckton of others but those are the matches that come to mind that I enjoyed - Yoshi hashi/Omega is good. Also Ishii/Tanahashi and Ishii/Marufuji. From Super J Cup - KUSHIDA/Ishimori, Ospreay/Titan. From BOSJ - Ospreay/Taguchi (im sure youve seen a lot of others) From Destruction - Naito/Elgin, Shibata/Fish, Bucks/Briscoes, BUSHI/Kushida

Can't think of anything else but that's a lot of stuff. In regards to Marufuji - I've always been high on him, he's always been fine in the ring to me. He had a very good G1 in my eyes and he's getting the title shot because he beat Okada in the G1. It's also a way to further the NOAH vs NJPW feud we've got. Marufuji is arguably top guy of NOAH in my eyes and Okada beating him will probably help solidify Okada further as true ace of Japan. Thing is - Okada has struggled this year. Tanahashi is still getting the true Ace reactions and Naito's getting way over than he has any right to be.

I think they're trying to give the juniors something to make them more respected/interesting such as the Bucks vs Briscoes and KOR moving up - although it is an openweight title. KOR getting his shot stems from Shibata beating Fish. I'm not sure if Shibata is cleared or not yet. But KOR getting a push is something i'm for and I think him and Shibata should be sheer brutality. Especially if he roflstomps the shit out of him like he did KUSHIDA. Could get super nasty. I'm pumped for it as long as Shibata performs like he did pre G1.

Ospreay has done fine in his run - he's lost to KUSHIDA twice when he was champ and I think a third title shot so soon is overkill for him. Look for him to stand out heading to Tokyo Dome and he will probably get a shot there or a match against KUSHIDA. Ishii's always been in a weird role - he can't quite challenge Okada yet. He and Goto will probably team up and win tag league and take the belts from GOD.

Hyped for Ricochet and Finlay to team up... they could be a solid team.

and yes GOD are fucking awful and it's atrocious that they're going to beat the Briscoes.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

I've got it on good authority that Kamaitachi will be wrapping up his US dates in a month or so. Just in time for early November. >.> I also floated the idea on EL this week that it was dumb for NJPW to run the mystery man LIJ & Time Bomb gimmicks at the same time. They could be the same guy.

Also in my scoops I heard Milano Collection AT is legit training for a comeback, but between him & Shibata there's some chances being taken.

Totally agree on Ricochet/Finlay, Finlay rocks and Ricochet's really good too. Hope they win the titles.

I'm looking forward to the NOAH/Dads fun & the top 3 matches could be great the problem is there's no drama at all in the top 2. If they did a better job throwing doubt on Okada/Omega I'd like this card but as is I would say it's so-so.

Status

I'd really like it if Marufuji pulled this off and won the belt. Of course, no chance Marufuji vs Omega is headlining Tokyo Dome... same with Marufuji vs Goto. I've been enjoying Marufuji since his G1 and I feel like he would add a new dimension to this NJPW vs NOAH feud if he ended up taking the belt. Of course, everyone knows Okada is going to win and the story is clearly that Okada finally outsmarts the vet in Marufuji and comes up with a gameplan to beat him. Not really enticing but I'll take it.

Saw the tag match featuring Okada/YOSHI HASHI vs Maru/Yano yesterday - was decent. Kind of expected Marufuji to get the pin on Okada though... but didn't happen. Also, Gedo and Jedo are now the Junior Tag champs there... could be possible they might defend at the Tokyo Dome vs someone from NOAH? Would be cool.

Regarding Milano and Kama - I think Milano being a member of LIJ would be such a fucking swerve. He's a junior right? He and BUSHI could be a team. I guess Kamaitachi could be too though.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 10-09-2016 at 12:32 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

Tiger Mask W looked like a certain Kota Ibushi to me. Other dude... Nakazawa?

Think KUSHIDA may be legit injured. Oh no.

Goto vs Omega and Shibata vs O'Reilly were great fun. Goto did extremely well IMO.

Okada vs Marufuji was a great, great match imo. Big fan of both guys and both delivered. Especially Marufuji. The ending stretch was the shit. I was so unsure of what was going to happen. Okada's Emerald Flowsion being booed is hilarious.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 10-10-2016 at 07:00 AM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

I've only watched the matches that interested me, so the final 3 matches and NOAH Vs The Dads and i've enjoyed all of them, the final three matches all range from very good to great and I can see arguments for all three being MOTN from different people.

It does look like Ibushi too, what a weird way to bring him back.

Status

Turning down WWE to wrestle as an anime character in NJPW

On Maru vs Okada - it was my MOTN. Goto vs Omega was close due to Goto's work. But Maru vs Okada was a match that didn't play out as I expected at all. Marufuji still had Okada in his back pocket for alot of it and it really felt like Okada hadn't found the answer, I was expecting Okada to have a long period of dominance at some point, a moment where he had Marufuji figured completely out but he never did. He caught Marufuji out with the Emerald Flowsion and used it to get the win but I really wasn't so sure on an Okada win as I thought I would be as the match progressed and I assume that's why I consider it to be very good. Might be different for some, of course. If this NJPW vs NOAH stuff continues, I wouldn't mind seeing Marufuji vs Okada again. Also, whenever Marufuji wrestles, there needs to be a chop counter in the corner. Absolutely fuck the amount of chops he landed in that match.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Thread Information