Thread: Wilderness Champion

Indy Talent

Status

Wilderness Champion

MVH
    WILDERNESS CHAMPION

July 11th, 2016 – Air Canada Centre. Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

“You know my plans. They will not change. I am taking your belt and I am leaving this piss-hole. And if you want to stop me? You’ll have to send better men than Mark fucking Merriwether to do it. Let’s get this over with.”

She throws the microphone at Lindsay, taking a seat in the corner with her head propped up against the bottom turnbuckle. She waits once more, the animosity gathering and building around her as if she were stood in the eye of a storm.
    July 31st, 2016 - Centre Bell Arena. Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

LIGHTBRINGER collapses to the mat after the lariat as Michelle rolls over still clutching her ribs. She fights the pain, bent over in the corner, lying in wait... LIGHTBRINGER rises up... BUSAIKU KNEE KICK! LIGHTBRINGER falls on his back but Michelle isn't through yet... BURNING HAMMER! Michelle drives LIGHTBRINGER to the mat and slowly drapes her arm over him for the cover...

ONE...

Tim Coleman: "Please kick out!"

TWO...

Elijah begins to slightly stir...

THREE!

Lindsay Monahan: "The winner of the match, and the NEW High Voltage Champion...MICHELLE VON HORROWITZ!"

All three competitors lay in the ring, completely spent, as "In Dreams" by Roy Orbison rings throughout the arena. It seems like an eternity before Michelle moves. She rolls over and is handed her championship by the official. She's on her knees now, cradling the belt as if it were newborn baby...

Jim Taylor: "What does this mean for the High Voltage Championship?"

Tim Coleman: "I couldn't tell you, Jim, but I'm disgusted by this and for once I share these fans' feelings."

Michelle hugs the championship belt as if there was nothing else in the world at that very moment as the fans shower her in hate and trash. She eventually exits the ring and walks up the ramp cradling her championship, while the fans continue to litter the ring. She doesn't turn back and disappears behind the curtain.

--- i ---

Update on MVH title "defenses"; Noah Hanson Adrenaline Rush announcement.
    5th August 2016
    By Johann Jerberger

The internet has been abuzz this past week with news of the High Voltage Championship, which was “stolen” from the company last Sunday by its new holder. Michelle von Horrowitz, after emerging triumphantly from a war with LIGHTBRINGER and Elijah Edwards, left Montreal with the gold and caught the first flight off the continent. Von Horrowitz has been promising to do as much for the last month, leveling accusations of disrespect and undervaluing against CWA management and creative. It’s unclear what the promotion plans to do with the championship, although we are expecting an announcement from Noah Hanson next week on Adrenaline Rush.

In the meantime, though, von Horrowitz is now competing as the “Worldwide High Voltage Champion”, and already has two successful ‘defenses’ under her belt. Obviously, CWA.com doesn’t recognise these matches as official High Voltage Championship contests, but that hasn’t stopped MVH from declaring them as such.

Mere minutes after the culmination of the triple threat match at Kings Reign Supreme, the Honshu Puroresu [HPW] promotion in Japan announced on their Twitter feed that von Horrowitz would be competing on the Champion’s Feast supershow [チャンピオンの饗宴 – Chanpion no kyōen] in Nagoya. It’s obvious that the appearance was arranged in advance of Kings Reign Supreme, contingent on von Horrowitz winning the championship. Michelle had competed for the company for four years between 2009 and 2013. Her biggest match in HPW saw her go up against The Bull [雄牛 – Osuushi] for the promotion’s Television Championship, again at the Nagoya Dome in October of 2012. There wasn’t much talk of a rematch back then, when The Bull pretty much steamrolled von Horrowitz in just over thirteen minutes, but almost four years later the pair returned to the same stadium to fight for a different championship.

The match, which you can see on HPW’s website for free, went on second to last behind the HPW World Championship match. The Bull’s age was certainly a factor, and von Horrowitz looked surprisingly fresh considering the battle she’d been through with LIGHTBRINGER and Elijah Edwards just a few nights before. MVH picked up the win over the Japanese veteran in just more than twenty minutes, after a Dragon-Style Curb Stomp and a 450 Splash. It seems that almost a year in CWA, wrestling men like Harrison Wake and Jon Snowmantashi, has taught von Horrowitz a few lessons about larger opponents.

After the match, Michelle asked for a microphone and took her trademark position seated on the top turnbuckle. The HPW.com footage cuts out here, but grainy camera videos are already on YouTube.

“I used to think that a company in America, a company named Clique Wrestling Alliance, was the greatest and purest version of my beloved sport on this Earth,” she begins, to an audience that only half understands. “Week after week, month after month, I would climb into a CWA ring and, almost always, I would climb out of it a winner. I’ve left CWA without ever having been pinned on Adrenaline Rush. I beat the best the company had to offer – McGinnis, Vegas, Wake, the Connors, LIGHTBRINGER – time and time again. Everyone except one man. Jon Snowmantashi has pinned me, fair and square, and he’s the only man at that company who can say that. But nobody had proved themselves more worthy of another shot at the World Championship than me. Snowmantashi had lost to McGinnis, twice, and should've gone to the back of the line. As far as I can see, there was nobody in front of Michelle von Horrowitz.

“And what do they do? They offer me this,”
    here she holds the High Voltage Championship high into the air. “This secondary championship. This child’s toy. This placeholder. They expect the great Michelle von Horrowitz to be happy with this? Please! So, I took the nuclear option, and left their shitty little company with their shitty little belt. And by doing so I've elevated it further than any number of hollow wins on Adrenaline Rush ever could. It is now a symbol of my victory over the machine. It is a golden horse with a black rider,. A harbinger of the Clique's demise. Now, as you might expect, my dear tulips, this has caused a little bit of a stir back at home. The CWA has been quick to distance itself from me. Many keyboard warriors have declared any defenses I might have out here invalid. Or so I’m told. I don’t have a computer. Idiot boxes. But these peoples’ opinions matter not, tulips. All that matters, at least now, is this.”

Of course, by this she means the championship belt. Again she raises it, and the gold seems to glimmer beneath the bright ceiling lights. She holds it proudly above her head for the remainder of her monologue.

“But word from America has not escaped my ears. I have heard, just like the rest of the world has heard, that Noah Hanson – offender-in-chief amongst the troglodytes in CWA management – has a special announcement regarding the CWA High Voltage Championship. But Hanson is mistaken. There is no CWA High Voltage Championship. I stand before you now as the first and only Worldwide High Voltage Champion. No empty words or hollow threats can rip this belt from my grasp. For that you’ll need a three-count.

“Hanson can stand in whatever shit-tip of a city his circus rolls into next, and he can come to any conclusion that he wants. He can put together some sort of battle royal or tournament and give some nobody a replica of my belt. He can claim that the championship reverts back to its previous owner and adorn LIGHTBRINGER with a tarnished crown, as I’m sure he’d like to. He could even bury the High Voltage moniker entirely and institute some new award. But the facts will not change. I stand before you as the lineal champion, the one true holder of this prize. Any new torch-bearer that they wheel out on stage will be little more than a sham. You all know it. Even you, Noah.”

Finally, she hops down from the turnbuckle and walks into the cente of the ring, the belt upon her shoulder.

“I started tonight by telling you what I once thought: that the CWA was home to the purest form of wrestling imaginable. I began to question this last month, and tonight I disregard the opinion entirely. Tonight I’ve seen more ambition, more talent, and more passion than in ten months at that sink-hole of a promotion. It’s a big world, and it’s selfish of America to demand all of Michelle von Horrowitz.”

Two nights later, MVH competed for China's 冬季風暴 [Winter Storm Wrestling – WSW] on their Red Alert supershow [紅色警報 – Hóngsè jǐngbào]. The High Voltage Championship opened up the show as MVH successfully defended against 太陽的女兒 (Tàiyáng de nǚ'ér), a rising star in the promotion. Her position on the card, and a lukewarm reaction from the Shanghai Indoor Stadium crowd, pointed out the Chinese audience’s unfamiliarity with western wrestlers and von Horrowitz specifically. MVH won the fast-paced, high flying affair after a combination that saw her hit a devastating Regal-plex before grinding 太陽的女兒 down with a cross-face chicken wing plus bodyscissors, finally floating over into the Cattle Mutilation for the submission.

Von Horrowitz left Shanghai almost immediately, but since a further appearance next week has been announced for Russian promotion Чемпионат железа борьба [Chempionat zheleza bor'ba (Iron Championship Wrestling) – CZB]. Nothing’s been confirmed as of yet, but it’s rumored that von Horrowitz will be facing “Knockout” Vladmir Kruschev at the Summer Snows IV show in St. Petersburg. You may recognize the name; Kruschev is a former amateur boxing world champion, and the man who ended the FWA’s Jean-Luc Watkins’ hopes of turning professional in that sport.

Cynical commentators have pointed out that The Bull, MVH's Nagoya opponent, is now forty-one years old, whilst von Horrowitz – little more than a rookie in their first encounter - has entered her peak years. It’s also true that太陽的女兒, her Shanghai opponent, was a teenage prodigy who’d been wrestling for less than a year. MVH’s most ardent detractors (who also happen to be the CWA’s most fervent supporters) have suggested that the challengers being lined up for her are heavily vetted, and that we should expect to see more green boys and old men. Regardless, PWOutsider will keep you up to date with developments, both overseas and here at home.
    Last edited by SuperSaiyan; 08-17-2016 at 02:34 AM.

I'm a Stone Cold Lee Guy.

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Re: Wilderness Champion

Mother fuck-
    The most amazing thing about this recent conversation is that I've learned AON is even more of a waste of space than I thought he was previously

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Hype!

I think you're regaining the best character in CWA moniker!

Indy Talent

Status

Cheers for the interest, fellas! Should be a fun ride, hopefully. And thanks to Jimmy for letting me run with this idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow
    I think you're regaining the best character in CWA moniker!
    I'm not sure I'd go that far (Connors have that shit tied up) but I do feel I've been treading water with MVH, maybe since 5SA, so I'm looking forward to trying something new this month.

Indy Talent

Status

--- ii ---

on LIGHTBRINGER.

“The essential conflict was between the tradition of the nineteenth-century asceticism and the actual existing luxury and snobbery of the pre-1914 age. On the one side were low-church Bible Christianity, sex puritanism, insistence on hard work, respect for academic distinction, disapproval of self-indulgence; on the other, contempt for ‘braininess’, and worship of games, contempt for foreigners and the working class, an almost neurotic dread of poverty, and, above all, the assumption not only that money and privilege are the things that matter, but that it is better to inherit them than to have to work for them. Broadly, you were bidden to be at once a Christian and a social success, which is impossible. At the time I did not perceive that the various ideals which were set before us cancelled out. I merely saw that they were all, or nearly all, unattainable, so far as I was concerned, since they all depended not only on what you did but on what you were
    She finished the passage and set the book down, her eyes drifting onto the high peaks that the train snaked effortlessly between. A woman came past with a trolley full of drinks, Michelle shaking her head politely but distantly. Her hand was in her bag, fingers tapping idly against the glass bottle within. She wanted a drink, almost needed one, but it wasn’t yet midday and the journey ahead was still long between here and St Petersburg. You can drink yourself to ecstasy and to ruin when the boredom of travel sets in. Scenery is beautiful for a second, a minute, sometimes even an hour, but eventually everything becomes repetitive. The woman disappeared into the next carriage, and Michelle took the opportunity to take one deep pull of Jameson’s, placing it back in the bag and hearing the satisfied clink of the glass against her championship gold.

She picked up the book and read over the same paragraph for the fourth or fifth time. She saw within its convoluted phrasing and snaking structure a truth that had thus far escaped her. It explained the dichotomy of LIGHTBRINGER. Maybe even the reason that he had failed. You had to squint your eyes, and replace the context of an early 20th century boarding school education with an early 21st century professional wrestling promotion, but the comparisons were there to be found. For instance: that money and privilege are the things that matter, but that it is better to inherit them than to have to work form them was the assumption of the CWA Universe. The silly little troglodytes that paid to see LIGHTBRINGER or Elijah Edwards or Jon Snowmantashi but went away talking about Michelle von Horrowitz. Kisai may have won a few matches against various low level gate-keepers, but he’d been protected through a laborious undefeated streak. She had no doubt about this. The people bought into the hype and the company patted itself on the back as their hot new signing fulfilled his potential. Their audience, Michelle believed, lauded LIGHTBRINGER’s championship run because it was expected whilst they scoffed at hers because it was inconvenient.

The dichotomy of LIGHTBRINGER was becoming clearer by the day. He’d even alluded to it himself before their match at Kings Reign Supreme. Michelle had watched him often in Japan when he’d wrestled for SPJ. The man was ruthless, calculated, ambitious. He climbed the ladder to earn both championships and prestige for himself and his school. He would do anything to win. Since coming to the CWA he’d displayed none of this, or at least very little. A few glimpses in the Triple Threat Match, maybe, but Michelle had watched as he was constantly drawn back to the trogs and what they might possibly think of him should he bend the rules. And, at Kings Reign Supreme, there were no rules to bend, the No Disqualification stipulation playing into her hands. She’d made use of steel chairs, ring steps, and – albeit ultimately unsuccessfully – the announcers’ table. He had been hampered by a lack of conviction. An inability to do what needed to be done.

LIGHTBRINGER, she concluded, had fallen into the trap set for him by CWA management and CWA fans. They wish their heroes to be both gallant and successful, two things which are often mutually exclusive. And LIGHTBRINGER intends on being a hero, so he must at least attempt to bridge the impossible gap between the two. This desire to be both a Christian (in the vaguely positive, pre-war British sort of sense) and a social success had, eventually, led to his failure.

She closed the book again, amusing herself with the scenery that had meandered past her window for the last handful of hours. She couldn’t be sure how long they had been going through the Ural Mountains, but it had been enough time for the scene to become stale. The snowy peaks were a way off, and instead the serpentine track weaved its way around the foothills, occasionally darting up into the higher reaches to provide an endless panoramic of the surrounding land. In her dreams there was only one mountain, sheer and bleak, rearing up from the earth like a wild stallion. It had seemed insurmountable, and she’d likened it to Snowmantashi within her thoughts. How romantic of her. She’d seen the Barbeau Peak in the northern reaches of Quebec, a single pyramid of rock casting its shadow over its snow-white foothills. But now, as she found herself surrounded by the Urals, she felt that this was closer to the truth. There wasn’t only one mountain, solitary and abstracted from the pack. There was a cluster of peaks stretching out before her, each summit progressively higher and more arduous than the last.

I merely saw that they were all, or nearly all, unattainable, so far as I was concerned, - she had read and re-read, the words now ingrained upon her mind – since they all depended not only on what you did but on what you were. She knew what she was, much like she knew what Snowmantashi was, and LIGHTBRINGER. Even McGinnis, though now he was little more than an artifact of the past. They were draws, brought in to boost ratings or sell t-shirts or ‘get the internet community buzzing’ (whatever that meant). They were the heroes and the flag-bearers. She was just a grunt, a cog in the machine, slowly throwing away the best years of her career, grinding out results at the kids’ table whilst the adults talked business elsewhere.

But, so long as she had their belt, she was also a champion.

Indy Talent

Status

- iii -

MVH defends 'Worldwide' High Voltage Championship in Japan, Russia; Reaction from LIGHTBRINGER camp; von Horrowitz on forthcoming Hanson announcement.
    17th August
    By Johann Jerberger

As we roll towards Adrenaline Rush and Noah Hanson’s big announcement regarding the CWA High Voltage Championship, Michelle von Horrowitz has again been popping up all over the Far East. Last week, we reported on successful ‘defenses’ (not recognised by the Clique Wrestling Alliance as such, of course) against 雄牛[Osuushi] for HPW in Nagoya and 太陽的女兒 [Tàiyáng de nǚ'ér] for WSW in Shanghai, and the last seven days have seen her wrestle two more matches on foreign soil.

Most interestingly, von Horrowitz was in action two days after her appearance for 冬季風暴 [Winter Storm Wrestling], this time in Tokyo for the Women’s promotion P E A R L S. This was notable for three reasons. Firstly, von Horrowitz has spoken frequently and at length about her disdain for women’s titles, tournaments, and promotions, so her appearance for P E A R L S was out of the blue. Secondly, it was common knowledge that von Horrowitz’ HPW booking carried an exclusivity agreement, blocking performances in Japan for a period of six months. It has since become clear that this was little more than a verbal understanding, executives at HPW trusting the word of a former long-term employee and in return organising matches for MVH in China, Russia, and Britain.

Of course, von Horrowitz had already completed her China booking by defeating 太陽的女兒 in Shanghai. In addition, the Russian promotion Чемпионат железа борьба [Chempionat zheleza bor'ba (Iron Championship Wrestling) – CZB] – as well as London Brawling in the UK - had announced forthcoming matches involving the Worldwide High Voltage Champion. It appears that both of those organisations are going forward with the matches (indeed, the Russian match has already happened at the time of posting), creating some tension with Honshu Puroresu in Japan. This also represents a burned bridge between Michelle von Horrowitz and HPW – some thought that MVH would end up there when she was finished country-hopping with the belt, but there seems little chance of that now.

The third interesting factor ahead of the match, and possibly the one that explains the first two, is the opponent. The match was set up after a challenge laid down by Himawari, shortly after she’d defeated “Super Girl” Sachi Arai at a show in Kobe. Of course, Himawari was, at least up until very recently, the manager and close ally of LIGHTBRINGER, the man from whom von Horowitz took the High Voltage Championship at Kings Reign Supreme. The opportunity, apparently, was too much for MVH to pass up, and the match was made official only two days later, for the promotion’s 7th August supershow ユリとシャクヤク [Yuri to shakuyaku].

The encounter, main eventing the Osakajo Hall, was a twenty-six minute showcase of both competitors’ aerial and technical ability. The opening exchanges of the match were primarily mat-based, the only pin-fall attempts coming from roll-ups. Things took to the outside when MVH gave Himawari a big back body drop over the top rope, von Horrowitz proceeding to utilize every moment of the twenty-count and get the most out of her environment (steel steps, ring post, and barricade all came into play). Himawari showed resiliency, though, kicking out and surviving an Ankle Lock, managing to roll through and propel von Horrowitz into the turnbuckles. She followed up with her Sunflower Kick X finisher, only for the Dutch competitor to get a foot on the ropes. The finish came when MVH ducked a wild lariat from Himawari, proceeding to bounce off the ropes and nearly take her head off with a Busaiku Knee Kick. A 450 splash and a prompt three count followed, much to the chagrin of the fans. The Osaka audience had been firmly in Himawari’s corner throughout the match, as you’d expect against foreign opposition.

Never one to pass up the chance to voice her opinion, Michelle stood on the stage after collecting a microphone, her Worldwide High Voltage Championship draped over her shoulder. She spoke as Himawari came to in the ring, no doubt intending to goad a reaction from the LIGHTBRINGER camp.

“A woman debases and reduces herself to arm candy – hidden beneath the professional guise of ‘manager’ but arm candy nonetheless – and clings firmly onto the coat tails of The Next Big Thing she begins, keeping eye contact with her fallen opponent as she does. “Said Next Big Thing promptly loses his newly won championship to the most undervalued, oft-disrespected, and outright ignored wrestler working today. Aforementioned arm candy thinks she can avenge The Next Big Thing’s crushing defeat. It’s an adorable premise, isn’t it, tulips? Compelling… dramatic… hopeful… with just a hint of poetic justice about the whole thing. But it is also naïve, as I have just shown. If your boss couldn’t beat me, what makes you think that you could? Your challenge was brave but doomed, little one. And if your master and commander is watching let it be known that he will never get another chance at MY Worldwide High Voltage Championship, or at Michelle von Horrowitz. At least until he wakes up and follows me out of that stagnating cesspool of an organisation.”

Himawari would give a post-match interview backstage, and had the following to say in response.

"It is disappointing to lose the match. I felt that I had a good showing and that I was close to winning. I could have done more and I'm sorry that I let my team and the fans down - small errors on my part contributed to my downfall. It's unfortunate. I wish Michelle had not spoken after the match as her words were not kind or truthful, just ignorant. I didn't want the match to have anything to do with Kisai (LIGHTBRINGER) - I was the one who made the challenge... for myself. I thought I could win, that was all. It is wrong that Michelle thinks I followed Kisai to America just to be 'arm candy' when I was in retirement and was the only available SSD member to travel. It is wrong that Michelle discards my achievements and thinks I hang onto my teammate's coat tails. She has a high opinion of herself and she will find that will lead to her downfall one day. If she wants to use this victory to try and get at Kisai then she will end up regretting it. I have not seen him for a long time but I know that he is not someone you should try to force into action or throw jibes at. It is telling sign that she is the one trying to talk up a rematch and not him. Isn't Michelle supposed to be the star attraction in her mind? What does she need him for? I would stand here and say that I respect Michelle from our match but her actions mean I have no respect for her at all. She is a talented individual but deluded to the highest degree. If Kisai does not feel the need to reappear and challenge her then I would like a rematch... with no rope breaks to save her. But now, my focus will turn to facing Mika-chan in her return match."

LIGHTBRINGER was confirmed to be in attendance for the event and was spotted backstage along with new SSD acquisition La Volpe III. He was approached but did not give any comment worthy of note - he shrugged his shoulders and simply stated: "Tonight's match was about Himawari and not me. If Michelle von Horrowitz wants to face me then she knows where I am."

It seems clear to this writer that many issues between Michelle von Horrowitz and LIGHTBRINGER remain unresolved.

Regardless, the procession of the Worldwide High Voltage Championship did not stop there, MVH flying into Beijing for the six-day journey to St. Petersburg on the Trans-Siberian Express (von Horrowitz is reportedly a bad flier, and most of her travel in the States was by bus). Her 16th August booking for Чемпионат железа борьба came and went with less fanfare, most likely due to her opponent. “Knockout” Vladmir Kruschev may have been a world class amateur heavyweight boxer, but in a wrestling ring he is slow and clunky. Last night, von Horrowitz made short work of the 6’11” veteran in front of his home-town crowd, earning her no supporters amongst the St Petersburg audience. The match finished after von Horrowitz slipped under a hefty but lazy right hook, taking the big man down with a drop toe hold into the middle turnbuckle. Kruschev kicked out at two, but MVH quickly manoeuvred into the Cattle Mutilation, the big Russian quickly tapping and the bell accordingly rung.

Thanks to a rapidly and progressive more hostile crowd, von Horrowitz made a quick exit from the Petrovsky Stadium, but did stop to give an interview with the promotion’s Igor Gorbachev. After flippantly dismissing Himawari’s comments (“I try not to listen to anything that woman says”), Michelle discussed the upcoming announcement with regards to a new High Voltage Champion, but couldn’t help herself from straying onto the topic of LIGHTBRINGER.

“I don’t know what Noah Hanson is cooking up, serial crackpot that he is,” she began, Gorbachev holding the microphone in front of her after asking his question in broken English. “I imagine a placeholder will be put in place until he can put something more long term together. I don’t really care, to be honest. It is irrelevant. Any champion that is crowned on Adrenaline Rush, or on pay-per-view, is a fraud. I am the lineal champion, that much cannot be denied. For as long as I clutch this belt, this symbol, my credentials cannot be questioned. To be honest, Hanson’s plans were derailed the moment the referee counted the pin fall, LIGHTBRINGER staring up at the lights and his championship transferring to me. It wouldn’t surprise me if that’s where the crackpot ends up placing his bet, once again. But I’ve said it before and it’s still true now: any champion, or championship, that the CWA invents is nothing more than a sham.”

Von Horrowitz said little else about her former employers, and is probably awaiting Hanson’s announcement like the rest of us. Tonight’s episode of Adrenaline Rush will feature the first round of the annual Ruler of the Ring tournament, as well as the General Manager’s decision (if he’s come to one) with regards to the High Voltage Championship. Meanwhile, MVH is looking ahead to two further bookings; the first on the 19th August for Marseille championnat de lute [MCL], the promotion for which von Horrowitz made her professional debut, and then at London Brawling’s “Horrorshow” event in Whitechapel, London. There have also been whisperings of a potential FWA appearance, which – according to our sources within the promotion – is being openly courted by the Worldwide High Voltage Champion.

More, doubtless, to follow.

Indy Talent

Status

-- iv --

on the Fantastic Five.

Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
    August 18th, 2016. 2:36 AM.

”And then, when Adrenaline Rush goes off the air next week, we will once again have a champion that we can be proud of, that we can believe in, and not a petulant child who takes her ball home when she’s not getting her own way. Savage, Humanity, Conner, Truth, Edwards – the very best of luck to you all. May the best man win…”
    The young woman stared up at the screen listlessly, idly rotating the glass of amber on the bar in front of her. The amber contents were slowly becoming more and more diluted by the melting ice cubes, but at this point in the night (morning?) that didn’t seem overly important. Noah Hanson was finished, his monologue completed and a smug, satisfied smile on his face. The Sacramento audience were applauding politely, Taylor and Coleman (fucking Coleman) were selling the five-man cluster-fuck as best they could, and Hanson went on smiling with a replica of her High Voltage Championship on his shoulder. She finished the drink and signaled for another, looking away from the screen in disgust (not despair).

The sports bar that she’d occupied for a handful of hours was dark, dingy, and empty. There was no discernible charm about it. No feature could be described that would differentiate it from a sports bar in New York or London or Tokyo. This one happened to be in Rotterdam, her home city. She’d decided to stop over for an evening in-between bookings in Saint Petersburg and Marseilles. It wasn’t too much of a detour and it seemed like the conventional thing to do. It hadn’t taken her long to regret the decision. Her mother was still living in the suburbs, probably, but she had no intention of going to see her. There was little else for here in the city. So she had come to this bar, because it was anonymous and nondescript and un-Rotterdam. And it was always open.

She stared around the room, taking in each of the screens that lined the walls. A Kenyan was pacing away from the chasing pack in Rio. Footage from a training camp of some football team was showing on ESPN. Celtic had just put their fifth past some Israeli minnow. And, tucked away in a corner, a re-run of FWA’s Red, White, & Bruised was reaching its climax. Ryan Rondo was standing on the stage, his two championship belts on display and his challenger already waiting in the ring. Another glass of Jameson’s arrived and she threw it back greedily.

Forcing herself to stare at the CWA product directly in front of her, she saw Elijah Edwards making his way down to the ring. One of the fantastic five. Probably the one that she knew best. He had debuted at roughly the same time as her, quietly proving himself and slowly climbing the card. She had stolen the headlines with her victory at the Wrestle Royale, but Edwards had a similar win-loss record, a High Voltage Championship reign, and a pin-fall victory over then World Champion Jonathan McGinnis. People were beginning to speak about him now, and for good reason. She shuffled uncomfortably on her chair, the thin line of bruising that ran from her waistline to her right clavicle burning as it tended to do periodically. She’d received it when Edwards had dived out of the way of her elbow drop, sending her crashing through the announcers’ table. It had only been exacerbated by the Excellent Execution, which he’d locked in later in the match. She had no intention of finding herself in that predicament again.

Regardless, she didn’t fear Edwards. Perhaps she respected him, at least as much as she did anyone else in the promotion, but she didn’t fear him. Familiarity brought comfort. She had watched him, or his sniveling runt of a manager, take to the stage in order to run through Elijah’s credentials. And each time it happened there was a growing sense that his accomplishments were hollow. Before their match at Kings Reign Supreme, he had proudly boasted that his win percentage was nearly as good as hers. But when you did a little basic maths (though undoubtedly beyond the capacity of the troglodytes lining up for tickets to Adrenaline Rush) you realized that 67% didn’t really compare to 81%. He had won the High Voltage Championship, sure, but had dropped it the very next week against that self-aggrandized poser LIGHTBRINGR. He had beaten Jonathan McGinnis, but by the end so had literally everyone. Some list of achievements.

She had been in the ring with Ethan Conner before, too, and had watched on as his brother secured the pin fall victory over Enigma in a tag match back in March. Tag matches mean fuck all. The week before she had defeated Drew, but Ethan had been absent from ringside thanks to the general manager’s decree. The younger Conner probably felt he had an advantage over her, given that his team had triumphed over hers. Maybe he did, but he was distracted. Krash and, more imminently, Cyrus Truth still wait for him, fists raised in both vigilance and rage. The Conners are young, brash, obnoxious, and intent on stamping their own repugnant prints all over the promotion. Good luck to them. That’s not to say one single fiber of her being respected (let alone liked) either of the brothers, but at least they stood for something. Krash and Cyrus Truth are the status quo, standing only for the continuation of a broken formula. The clash between old and new was a re-tread of an overused cliché, but it was also a smokescreen. She didn’t believe either man could put aside their hatred for the other, even for the sake of championship glory.

She stared back over at the screen showing Red, White, & Bruised, the main event coming to its climactic throws. Truth had the Long Road to Nowhere – his patented neck crank submission, undoubtedly dangerous – locked in on Rondo, the then-current, now-former champion forcing the challenger’s shoulders down to the mat. Cyrus kicked out, but the hold was released, allowing Rondo to fight to his feet and attempt an RKO. Truth pushed him off into the turnbuckles, landing the Journey’s End and following up with the pin fall. She sipped at another Jameson’s that had arrived as if by clockwork. Truth celebrated with confetti and two belts. How lavish. She should like two belts. She should have two belts.

Truth could, of course, be a threat to anyone. He was the current Undisputed FWA World Champion and a two-time CWA World Heavyweight Champion for a reason. But even a legend cannot afford to spread his focus so thin. Amidst keeping hold of his belt in the F’ and plaguing the Echo in the C’, it was impossible to see Cyrus mounting any serious challenge for Hanson's faux-championship. He could be disregarded. Humanity and Savage could not be so easily reasoned away. At least not yet. She had always been careful to fear the unknown. One should approach a precipice with caution. But they would have to show their hands soon enough. Hers could remain close to her chest.

On the screen in front of her, Snowmantashi evaded Edwards’ Kick of Fury before nailing him with a jumping axe kick. The Hailstorm was all that was needed to secure the three-count. Edwards had shown heart, she was sure (well, not sure, she hadn’t been paying much attention), but he had come up short once again. She smiled to herself. Part of her knew why this was: she hadn't pinned or submitted Elijah in her near-one-year run in the CWA, despite being given several opportunities. He was wily and evasive, if nothing else, and the only comfort she could take was in his misfortune. But his time would come, as would Snowmantashi’s and LIGHTBRINGER’s alike. Time waits for no man.
    Last edited by SuperSaiyan; 09-06-2016 at 02:25 AM.

Indy Talent

Status

-- v --

MVH runs in on Nate Savage following Adrenaline Rush fatal five-way; “Worldwide” High Voltage Championship defending in France and the UK; Challenge laid down to Savage and CWA Management.
    September 5th, 2016
    By Johann Jerberger.

It’s been an eventful few weeks for Michelle von Horrowitz, the self-proclaimed Worldwide High Voltage Champion popping up on two more continents to ‘defend’ her title and steal a new one. We last reported on her travels as she left Asia, heading west for a successful defense against “Knockout” Vladmir Kruschev in St. Petersburg. Since then, MVH appeared Marseille championnat de lute’s anniversary show at the Roucas-Blanc City Gymnasium in Marseille. The assembled audience of three hundred people witnessed a rare treat and a match of particular significance for von Horrowitz: MCL and the Roucas-Blanc City Gymnasium were where she made her professional debut back in 2007.

Von Horrowitz defeated a veteran local wrestler named L’Guerrier des Irises, a man almost twice her age, in just under eight minutes. The match wasn’t a particularly good one, and is available for free on MCL’s website, but von Horrowitz took to the microphone afterwards to thank the fans and speak briefly about the forthcoming fatal five-way to declare a new CWA High Voltage Champion. Her tone was softer than usual, playing to a hometown crowd and the first to have been firmly in her corner on this tour. Of course, that didn’t continue as she progressed onto the topic of Noah Hanson’s replacement champion:

“All of these five men are interchangeable. Anybody who wasn’t good enough to make the semi-finals of the Ruler of the Ring tournament shoved into the ring together and told to have at it. Truth and Conner will be blinded by their hatred for one another. Edwards has been falling from grace ever since he beat a fading champion. Savage and Humanity are near non-entities. It doesn’t matter which one of them manages to lose slowest next week. Their championship belongs to me.”

MVH was cheered out of the building, and spent a week apparently reveling in the adulation of Northern Europe before catching the ferry to the United Kingdom. She did not receive the same reception during her defense at London Brawling’s event in Whitechapel, London. Von Horrowitz would be challenged by British HOSS at the promotion’s “Horrorshow” event, the patriotically named wrestler receiving the unbridled support of the assembled audience. He also represented the biggest threat to von Horrowitz’s championship since the challenge of Himawari, and the match went twenty eight minutes before MVH managed to duck beneath a Super Kick attempt. She caught HOSS and hit an exploder suplex, before locking in the Stretch Muffler, eventually eliciting a tap out with a series of vicious stomps to the back of the head. With the fatal five-way on the horizon, von Horrowitz was all business, leaving the arena amidst hostility and begrudging respect to prepare for the events of Adrenaline Rush.

It was thought that MVH was heading to Central America, where she is scheduled to appear on two PAW shows in Mexico and Cuba. However, at the climax of the fatal five-way match, when the dust had settled and Nate Savage stood alone as the new champion, von Horrowitz stormed the ring with a Busaiku Knee Kick. She skipped away with Savage’s belt, a team of security in pursuit, before exiting the arena flanked by a team of security. Since, the CWA has sent very mixed signals about their former employee. On the one hand, they have invited MVH to appear on the next episode of Adrenaline Rush, presumably for a dressing down from Noah Hanson. On the other, the company has opened legal proceedings against von Horrowitz, accusing her of breach of contract and theft. Von Horrowitz was asked for comment on the events of Adrenaline Rush, and sent the following hand-written statement to PWOutsider:

“The CWA can make as many legal threats as they feel are necessary. I can weather the storm. I have the resources and the time. What they really want, what they need, are my championship belts. And they are both mine, for I am the lineal champion. That is verified fact. Nate Savage isn’t fit to clean my boots, and Noah Hanson knows that full well. It is why he has invited me to appear next week on Adrenaline Rush in San Diego. It is because he knows that his puppet Savage couldn’t defeat me out here, in a neutral setting. So he must stack the deck. He wishes to blindside me, to take MY titles from me. I am no idiot. One doesn’t need powers to see what would happen if I walked into The Valley View Centre next week. I would walk out without my championships, should I walk out at all. But I will appear… by video link. If only to tell Hanson face-to-face what he’s probably already realized: that whatever surrogate champion he installs stands firmly in my shadow.”

MVH is still set to honor her bookings for Pan-American Wrestling, before returning to the states for the satellite-enabled encounter with CWA general manager Noah Hanson. More, as always, to follow.

Thread Information