Thursday July 7th

Germany vs France
    Marseille
    20:00

Rusev Day

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Euro 2016 Semi Final Discussion Thread

Portugal v France in the final I reckon but I hope Wales can do it. I just think Ramsey could prove a huge loss for them.
    Twitter: @LukeGardener82 | Former BTB Overlord
    Order reviews WWE Pay Per Views

BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

I think both games will be exciting ones.

Wales are missing Aaron Ramsey and Ben Davies, both will be big losses. Ramsey has had an excellent tournament and has been a vital cog for us in our midfield. He'll surely be in contention to be in the team of the tournament. Not sure who we'll replace him with, I think Jonny Williams is the best option. He's not a bad replacement per say, he's done well when he's come off the bench. He's industrious and works his socks off, however, he's not Ramsey.
    As for who replaces Davies, I'm really not sure. Davies has done fantastic for us at the back given that he's also been playing out of position. We don't have much in terms of defensive cover in our squad. I don't fancy bringing James Collins in, I can see him struggling against the pace of Ronaldo, Nani, Sanches and Mario, so I think Jazz Richards is the better option. The other option for us is to move Nail Taylor to the left CB position and then bring in someone to play left wing-back, however, Taylor has done excellent in that position for us so I'd be reluctant to move him from there. We could even change formation to play 4 at the back, but that would be a huge tactical risk.

On paper, there's no way we win this match, especially without Ramsey and Davies playing too, however, on paper we shouldn't have beaten Belgium either. I feel that Portugal are there for the taking. They haven't convinced me defensively or offensively and they are yet to actually win a game in normal time at this tournament. It's amazing how they've got this far without doing that. They do have some real players in their team though. If Ronaldo decides that this is the game he's going to start playing then that could be the difference maker. Renato Sanches showed in the last game that he's also someone who can win you games.

Honestly though, this one could go either way. I think it'll be a really interesting clash. I could even see it gong all the way to penalties, and if that happens then I fancy Portugal to steal it.

As for the other game, that's also going to be a interesting one. France still look shaky at the back. They may have put 5 past Iceland, but they also conceded 2. Germany haven't really been their dominating selves either so far and they're dealing with a few injuries ahead of this game. Khadeira's out as is Gomez (who will be a big loss) and Schweinsteiger's classed as a 'major doubt'. They have players to come in though, Can will likely get a start and I expect them to revert to Gotze up front, which will make them blunt up front as they were in the first couple of games.
    This is another game I can see going either way, both sides have match winners in their teams, but I fancy the Germans to come out winners due to their superior defense, or perhaps more because of France's lack of solidity at the back.

Jerker Curtain

Status
      Country                    Australia

I don't mind who wins in France v Germany but I want Wales to knock out Portugal, they don't deserve to make the final off their performances so far whereas Wales have been playing at a very good standard given what was expected of them. Portugal drawing their way into winning the final on penalties is a scary thought too.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Prediction for tonight, I'm going to stick my neck out and go with 2-1 to Wales in normal time.

Legit

Status
      Country                    UK

Going to go for 1-1 after 90 minutes and then Wales to win in extra time.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Germany

Wales 1-0 Portugal in extra time
    Germany 2-1 France

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

On Vacation

Status

1-1 Portugal to win on penalties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Internet Favorite

Status

I want a Wales vs France final but I think it's going to be a Portugal vs Germany final.

Predictions
    Portugal 2 Wales 1
    Germany 1 France 1 *Germany win on penalties

Cider 'I' Up

Status

Definitely all the momentum is with Wales at the moment they belive they can go all the way and who can blame them?

Realistically though Aaron Ramsey is going to be a massive miss in the middle of the park, he has been outstanding and I still think Portugal have somthing up their sleeve to produce in normal time.

Portugal 2-0 Wales

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Cyber bullying just made me 12 bucks. Sweet.
    2017 Movie Log

The Franchise.

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Come on Wales.

portugal are nothing like the team they have been. 2-1 Wales after extra time.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Portugal going to the final is incredible considering the tourney they have had

YES! YES! YES!

Status

see ya Wales.

Cider 'I' Up

Status

Fair shout to Wales throughout this tournament they can go home with their heads held very high indeed, bit disappointing tonight as I thought they could have pressed an average Portuguese defence much more than they did, but taking nothing away from them in these Euro's as they have been a massive dose of fresh air and I hope they get stronger.

They missed Ramsey so much tonight and after a boring first half in all fairness, Portugal deserved to advance to the final after their second half display.

2017 Movie Log

Internet Favorite

Status

Portugal in the final. If they had finished 2nd, they probably wouldn't have made it to the final if they were placed in the tough side of the draw. With Portugal being in the easier side of the draw, I predicted either Portugal or Belgium to make the final. Think I went with Belgium at the end but they went out in the QFS. Hope the winner of the Germany/France game wins the Euros.

Well done Wales. They had a fantastic tournament. Ramsey was a huge miss. Great achievement for Wales to reach the semi finals.

2x UFC Prediction Champ

Status
      Country                    France

Living in Germany but being from France always adds some more extra excitement to the game for me on a personal level. Completely confident we will beat Germany this time. Allez les bleus!

#TheCount

Legit

Status
      Country                    UK

2-1 to France tonight is why I'm going for. Confident either team will beat Portugal.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Regardless of the result, we can go home with so much pride. Never in a million years had I dreamed that we'd make the semi-finals. Considering that a few short years ago we were struggling to beat, and even losing, to teams such as Serbia, Andora, Montenegro and the like and were struggling to draw even a few hundred fans to our home games (I remember being at one game when the away fans outnumbered our home fans), then this team has done something quite remarkable and special. The heartbreak of losing 1-0 at home against Russia back at the Euro 2004 play off after a 0-0 draw in the away leg. I was there. Losing 5-1 at home against Slovakia during Euro 2008 qualifying. I was there. Barely beating San Marino 2-1, losing 3-1 away to Cyprus, osing 2-0 to Finland during the 2010 World Cup qualifying. These were dark days for our national team. I am hugely proud of our national team, and I'm confident that we can build on this experience and go from strength to strength. Can't wait for the World Cup Qualifiers.

I should give credit to, firstly John Toshack. He's the man who gave many of these players their chance in in the national team. Many of our current squad started in the senior team when they were still eligible for the U21's, but Toshack gave them a chance. Toshack gets a hell of a lot of stick for his stint as manager (I'm one of those who's given him stick), but he is the man who blooded many of these players into the senior team and gave them their debuts. Then of course to Gary Speed. He's the man who developed this group of players and started off this roll that we've been on. He would have been so very proud of this team were he still with us. And finally, to Chris Coleman. A decent player, had his career tragically ended by a terrible car crash. He's never been regarded as the best manager ever. Did ok at Fulham for a couple of years, had an average stint at Real Sociedad, a pretty terrible time of it managing Coventry, a so-so 12 game stint at Larissa. But as Wales manager, he's taken this group that Speed developed, and then molded them into his own shape. He's done a phenomenal job with this team and the future of our national team is now very bright indeed. I hope that one day we'll even get to return to playing our home games at the Millennium Stadium (I refuse to call it the 'Principality Stadium'). I think our following has boosted enough to warrant that now, and the 33,000 capacity of Cardiff City Stadium won't be big enough now I feel.

As for Portugal, they don't deserve to be in the final. They've been bang average the whole tournament. I'll give credit where it's due, they were good in the second half against us, but the rest of their tournament has been poor. I hope they get absolutely battered in the final by France or Germany, and I expect that they will. I'm not bitter that they beat us, just saying that it's a shame that a team that's played so average has reached the final.If they had they come second in their group instead of 3rd they would have been in the other side of the draw and in all likelihood wouldn't have reached the final.
    Last edited by Tommy Thunder; 07-07-2016 at 08:20 AM.

Cider 'I' Up

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post

As for Portugal, they don't deserve to be in the final. They've been bang average the whole tournament. I'll give credit where it's due, they were good in the second half against us, but the rest of their tournament has been poor. I hope they get absolutely battered in the final by France or Germany, and I expect that they will. I'm not bitter that they beat us, just saying that it's a shame that a team that's played so average has reached the final. As Kintaro said, had they come second in their group instead of 3rd they would have been in the other side of the draw and in all likelihood wouldn't have reached the final.
    I'm not knocking Wales here but yes Portugal do belong in the final because they were better than you in the game, if Ramsey was their maybe it could of been different but that was his fault that he wasn't.

Its all about peeking at the right time in tournaments, yes Portugal have been lucky in the earlier stages but I'm sorry but Croatia were no walk over, extra time or not.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

2017 Movie Log

Rusev Day

Status

Allez les bleus!

My head says Germany will knock the hosts out tonight though.

2-1 in normal time.
    Twitter: @LukeGardener82 | Former BTB Overlord
    Order reviews WWE Pay Per Views

BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

Thread Information