Thread: Apex Legends

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Apex Legends

So I've been playing this game called Apex Legends that you've probably never heard of.

It's basically the culmination of years of happiness and frustration with battle royale. A real love letter to the genre. It improves upon almost all of the gripes we've had with BR so far. Little things such as 'dropping with the team' to avoid players being utterly confused and accidentally landing elsewhere, to larger ideas such as collecting a dead teammates' dog tags to revive them at a respawn station (without any of their gear).

There are abilities like Overwatch and microtransactions like Overwatch (but worse).

I really enjoy the game when I can actually play it but I have three major gripes

• Crashes; the game crashes a lot for me and many people I play with. This wouldn't necessarily be a deal-breaker, except
    • There's no 'rejoin game' option; this is a thing in both PUBG and Overwatch, and there's no competitive advantage to dropping in/out, so it makes absolutely ZERO sense that this isn't a feature.
    • Revive Teammate; sounds like a good way to help your teammate and yourself have a better chance of winning the game. Except it isn't. When your teammate is downed, a 'Revive' icon appears above their head that obscures your vision. Your enemy, who shot your teammate, does not see this icon. So while your view is obstructed by a large red icon, they have clear line-of-fire on you and have a better chance of killing you than you have of killing them if they happen to be standing behind your fallen friend. Shit's fuck up, yo!

I fully expect these issues to be ironed out over the coming days/weeks/months, and recommend anyone who likes battle royale or feels burnt out by battle royale give this a try and see what their opinion of it is. My frustrations aside, it is a very polished and intriguing game. Definitely one to follow in 2019.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

Status

Re: Apex Legends

I've downloaded it on Ps4 because it's free-to-play. Is it also free on PC? Might grab it there too just to broaden the scope of who I can play with

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Re: Apex Legends

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    I've downloaded it on Ps4 because it's free-to-play. Is it also free on PC? Might grab it there too just to broaden the scope of who I can play with
    It is indeed. Just beware of the microtransactions - they'll price something at 1100 and then sell 2000 points so that you don't have enough to get two things, but are just another microtransaction away from getting the most out of your 900 remaining points.

You may not be the type to purchase "in-game money" but I'm also putting that out for everyone else. Shouldn't surprise anyone that EA gonna EA.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

Thread Information