Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NJPW G1 Climax 26

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

NJPW NJPW G1 Climax 26

The competitors have just been announced at Kizuna Road so thought i'd make the thread to get shit up and running.

Announcement video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z_bHskHZkI

Block A Participants:

Spoiler:

Top, left to right:
    Hiroshi Tanahashi
    Togi Makabe
    Hirooki Goto
    Bad Luck Fale

Bottom, left to right:
    Satoshi Kojima
    Kazuchika Okada
    Tomohiro Ishii
    Tama Tonga
    SANADA
    Naomichi Marufuji

Block B Participants:

Spoiler:

Top, left to right:
    Yuji Nagata
    Katsuyori Shibata
    YOSHI-HASHI
    Kenny Omega

Bottom, left to right:
    Tomoaki Honma
    Michael Elgin
    Toru Yano
    Tetsuya Naito
    EVIL
    Katsuhiko Nakajima

They announced some matches along with dates - I assume these are the main events:

18th July:
    SANADA vs Hiroshi Tanahashi
    Kazuchika Okada vs Naomichi Marufuji

22nd July:
    Yuji Nagata vs Tetsuya Naito
    Tomoaki Honma vs Katsuyori Shibata

23rd July:
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Togi Makabe
    Kazuchika Okada vs SANADA

24th July:
    Katsuyori Shibata vs Katsuhiko Nakajima
    Tomoaki Honma vs YOSHI-HASHI

25th July:
    Togi Makaba vs SANADA
    Kazuchika Okada vs Hirooki Goto

27th July:
    Toru Yano vs Tetsuya Naito
    Katsuyori Shibata vs Michael Elgin

28th July:
    Tomohiro Ishii vs Naomichi Marufuji
    Hirooki Goto vs SANADA

30th July:
    Michael Elgin vs Kenny Omega
    Katsuyori Shibata vs Tetsuya Naito

31st July:
    Togi Makabe vs Naomichi Marufuji
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Hirooki Goto

1st August:
    YOSHI-HASHI vs Katsuhiko Nakajima
    Tomoaki Honma vs Tetsuya Naito

3rd August:
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Tomohiro Ishii
    Togi Makaba vs Kazuchika Okada

4th August:
    Katsuhiko Nakajima vs Tetsuya Naito
    Katsuyori Shibata vs Kenny Omega

6th August:
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Naomichi Marufuji
    Kazuchika Okada vs Tomohiro Ishii

7th August:
    Yuji Nagata vs Kenny Omega
    Tetsuya Naito vs EVIL

8th August:
    Tomohiro Ishii vs SANADA
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Satoshi Kojima

10th August:
    Tomoaki Honma vs Michael Elgin
    Katsuyori Shibata vs Yuji Nagata

12th August:
    Hirooki Goto vs Naomichi Marufuji
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kazuchika Okada

13th August:
    Katsuyori Shibata vs EVIL
    Tetsuya Naito vs Kenny Omega

No KUSHIDA which some people may find surprising. I'm all for Marufuji and Nakajima though. Both guys are awesome. You'd think no Ibushi, Nakamura and Styles would make for a bit of a grim G1 to some degree but honestly, it's pretty stacked. Guessing we're getting Tanahashi vs Naito final if the final day matchups are anything to go by. Probably have Tanahashi beat Okada to get to the finals whilst EVIL beats Shibata and Naito beats Omega to get through. Who knows though. Wonder if YOSHI will get some big wins.

Note: Hiroyoshi Tenzan has replaced Satoshi Kojima
    Last edited by RainShaker; 07-03-2016 at 03:44 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

Re: NJPW G1 Climax 26

Firstly, No Tenzan. End of an era and very telling about how many years he might have left.

There's seven new faces from last year's tournament; Marufuji, Nakajima, Tama Tonga, Kenny Omega, Yoshi-Hashi, Sanada and EVIL. So if it's one thing, it's about as fresh of a line up as you can get in a 12 month period (exoduses will do that to ya). My issue with that is Omega, Tonga and EVIL have been pretty bad for New Japan and Marufuji's been pretty bad for NOAH, so I'm only excited to see less than half of these new guys. And then they recalled Yano back for this to up the shit quota. I'm sure Marufuji will have a couple of very good matches when he has his working boots on, but he'll have far more disappointing nights I feel and as far as picking a heavyweight from NOAH to come in, they've picked one of the worst in my eyes. Pumped for Nakajima though.

Block B is the far more enjoyable block to me. They only have two wrestlers that I think will drag down the quality of the tournament in Omega and Yano, and Yano tbf has quick matches so it'll be tolerable. EVIL to me will be like Makabe, I'm not gonna be excited to see him, but he has the potential to have some good matches and be inoffensive in the block. Nakajima, Shibata, Nagata, Big Mike, Honma, Yoshi-Hashi is a core of great wrestlers and Naito could make it seven.

Block A on the other hand has enough wrestlers I like in Tanahashi, Okada, Kojima, Ishii, Goto, but some of them are underperforming this year and a lot of them offer matches we've seen enough times. Potential matches with Tama Tonga and Marufuji don't really excite me, so I think Sanada is gonna have to step up to the plate and put in great performances, as well as a 180 from Marufuji, for this block to rival Block B.

I haven't looked heavily at the dates, but as far as a prediction goes, Naito's gonna win and defeat either Tanahashi or Goto in the final and I'd lean towards Goto because surely Tanahashi isn't going to beat Okada on that final night in the same year he handed over the title of 'Ace of the Company' at Wrestlekingdom.

Ultimately I don't want to talk it up or down too much, I remember not being impressed by last year's line up including Elgin's inclusion and I ended up being blown away by the tournament. For the past 4 years that I've watched the tournament, it's been the wrestling highlight of the year and it will still end up generation a ridiculous number of very good matches.

edit - oh shit, no more Yujiro either

Still Kicking It

Status
      Country                    United States

I wish they balanced the blocks a lot more. It seems like Block A is an all star roster and B is stuck with the jobbers (though there are some high performing mid-carders like Nagata). The potential matches of Block A just better on paper. Marufuji is a great addition and will add some spice to an already hot roster. At least Bullet Club isn't taking over the blocks like they did last year, making it feel like a repeat of the previous G1. Yano is here to give the same comedy he gives every match. Just fly over Marty Scrull, you have a relationship with RPW.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Tenzan actually cut a promo during the show exclaiming his surprise about this - even asking why he wasn't included and so on. Maybe a storyline to come out of that, who knows.

On Marufuji - i'd agree he has had bad performances but I don't think he is a bad wrestler. G1 is the perfect opportunity for him to prove his doubters wrong. The thing about him is that he can't pace himself and he's not the sort of guy to go 30 mins. In 10-15 mins matches, he should be good though. I had a sneaky feeling that he was going to be a part of the G1 when he and Toru Yano were teaming up - also since he wasn't involved in the GHC title picture. I'd have liked to have seen Go come over if he wasn't champion. Also was holding out for Suzuki. I think Marufuji will have a decent run if they give him short matches. Tanahashi should be able to carry him to some match. Okada maybe not. Nakajima vs Shibata is going to be fucking amazing.

You could be right about Goto, Ed. I didn't think about it like that - plus Naito/Tanahashi as a final would be a repeat of 2013 and not sure if they'd do that. Goto is due a good run too before falling at the final hurdle (as usual) plus Naito has to get revenge for the loss at Tokyo Dome earlier this year. Someone's going to have to beat out Okada in Block A though and I think Tanahashi beating him would just serve to add to their rivarly. I don't think Tanahashi/Okada at WK10 was the final time we'll see those two go at it so Tana beating Okada could set up a defense for Okada in the mean time. But I guess that'd be weird booking if the G1 final loser ends up getting a title shot anyway. Regarding the dates and stuff - the two headlining matches on each final show seems to be what the top 4 would be in each block IMO. Could be wrong though.

This'll be my first G1 live so looking forward to it big time.

Block A definitely has the star power and names but Block B has the potential to be wicked good too. I'm looking forward to seeing Omega work against heavyweights that aren't Tanahashi or Elgin.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Block B is awesome and Nakajima was a great surprise that wasn't even on my radar for a surprise. None of these little rat fucks from ROH to add nothing, I think the lineup's pretty interesting on paper, but to me Block B is where it's at I wish Goto or Ishii would have swapped with Yano/Omega.

I think Marufuji beats Okada on night 1 and sets up the KOPW title match. Also agree with Shake that the top 4 on the last nights are who it's going to come down to (Goto/Marufuji/Okada/Tanahashi & Naito/Evil/Shibata/Omega).

I recorded a G1 special podcast with extended thoughts on the field but people I think are interesting in that they could be booked strong or crappily and are wild cards are Goto, Sanada, Marufuji, Honma, Nagata, & Nakajima. The most interesting in terms of match quality also include Ishii, Shibata, & YOSHI though I think I know how they'll be booked.

My 3 scenarios I think could happen.

1. Naito wins
    2. Tanahashi wins
    3. Goto or Shibata win but lose the title shot to Naito in November.

Still Kicking It

Status

I don't think it's going to happen but the best scenerio would be Iishi takes takes the whole thing and we get a fresh main event for Wrestle Kingdom.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

I mean, I love Ishii but he's too old and it's not the right time. In years past he would have been more deserving though. If anything Shibata's "that guy" who's carried the company in-ring the same way Goto & Ishii did in years past and would be the fresh matchup. (Also like them in the past he'll probably get looked over too)

Not to say them randomly having Ishii win wouldn't be awesome though. He totally deserves it. Those 3 and Nagata/Honma all deserve to be top stars over the likes of Naito & Okada in my opinion.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Plugging my aforementioned podcast: http://mlwradio.libsyn.com/eastern-l...x-2016-special

Also plugging the matches from the show the G1 announcements took place on in case you doubt me. First of all Finlay and Taguchi was a great match and it's such a shame Taguchi is basically DoA in terms of being pushed. Also the kings, Goto and YOSHI-HASHI has an even better tag match than the Dominion show! So I'm kinda starting to come around on EVIL but I still need to see him with guys of lesser caliber than Goto before I'm fully on board. The post match was flat out heartwarming too and I wish I could have a GIF of
    Spoiler:

Goto hitting the ring for the celebration with the Loose One

That honestly feels like the hottest thing in the company right now and the reaction of course was tremendous. Just a great hidden gem tag match.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Marufuji's been at his worst in his career lately, but as Zero said, I think this is a great chance to regain some morale and have some of his best showings in a while. While there's a nice chunk of people in his block that are sort of in an inconsistent stage right now (or just bad), he's got some opponents to do it. I usually go into G1 having my doubts about certain performers but most of the time those people will step it up or find a way to be useful.

Outside Omega and EVIL, Block B should be a fun time. Najakima being there is cool.

Yeah, the easy prediction is Naito wins. Wonder how many wins Honma gets this year.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Plugging my aforementioned podcast: http://mlwradio.libsyn.com/eastern-l...x-2016-special
    Nice listen, those type of 'and on this day here are the matches' can get kind of dry with so many dates to go through but your thoughts and predictions kept me interested. You're the only voice out there that's speaking the truth on Marufuji and not going head over heels at the announcement. I think you might be right on Omega (think it was you), he was much better in DDT and this could be his chance to build his momentum up if he takes this seriously. I'd take solid 3 star matches as an improvement in my book, my bar isn't that high for him.

I just worked out that I'm on holiday for the first couple of shows, probably gonna have to take the ipad with me, if you fall behind on the G1 there's no hope of catching up.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Eden Hazard View Post
    Nice listen, those type of 'and on this day here are the matches' can get kind of dry with so many dates to go through but your thoughts and predictions kept me interested. You're the only voice out there that's speaking the truth on Marufuji and not going head over heels at the announcement. I think you might be right on Omega (think it was you), he was much better in DDT and this could be his chance to build his momentum up if he takes this seriously. I'd take solid 3 star matches as an improvement in my book, my bar isn't that high for him.

I just worked out that I'm on holiday for the first couple of shows, probably gonna have to take the ipad with me, if you fall behind on the G1 there's no hope of catching up.
    Thanks. I do my best. But yeah, Marufuji was actually arguably one of my favorite wrestlers in his prime so I kinda had a soft spot for him for awhile but not the last year+. But in one of our other shows we were talking about NOAH and his tag team with Yano and I think the thing that hurts Marufuji the most to me is he has no heart out there. He just wrestles with a very stoic and uncaring vibe. It's sucked but like I said, this (and Omega) is a chance to put his best effort out there and put on the best matches possible. And I think in his case there's added pressure because he's kind of the Tanahashi of NOAH in that he's been passed by in booking but in reality is still kinda the Ace to most fans. If he can pull out whatever he can I think it could be a nice boost to NOAH just in terms of PR.

Like you said, *** level stuff would be great by Omega's standards. As I was looking at Block B and I think right when he mentioned this I thought of this and it did not bring a smile to my face. Like you I thought Block B is better on paper. Then I realized...3 of the 5 matches on a given night could feature, Yano, Omega, and Naito. That could really REALLY burn down the territories and suck of the life out of these shows if we see the circus in full swing.

I kinda don't like the 20 shows in 25 days or whatever for that reason (in addition to it actively hurting the gates and guys still getting injured) is because it requires a huge time investment from fans to follow all the way through. For you, me, and Shake it may be great, but I really think people would be more willing to commit to 10 full shows than 20 half ones if that makes sense and we saw a lot of last year people starting to pick and choose even the G1 matches and I never saw that for the most part in 2013/2014.

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Last year was my first I believe (or it may have been 2014, but I'm pretty sure its 2015) and it's so easy to lose track. Happened to me for Super Juniors too. Just hard to find time every day to watch it, unfortunately.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    I kinda don't like the 20 shows in 25 days or whatever for that reason (in addition to it actively hurting the gates and guys still getting injured) is because it requires a huge time investment from fans to follow all the way through. For you, me, and Shake it may be great, but I really think people would be more willing to commit to 10 full shows than 20 half ones if that makes sense and we saw a lot of last year people starting to pick and choose even the G1 matches and I never saw that for the most part in 2013/2014.
    I hear what you're saying but I actually think it's easier to keep up this way. The old system where everything on the show was a G1 match, you couldn't skip anything, so you had to commit to watching essentially a 3 hour plus pay-per-view of great wrestling every couple of days and I got so burned out consuming the G1 that way. With the new system, you can ignore all the pre-intermission tags and jump right into the 5 G1 matches which is like...what 90 minutes of wrestling? I can make time for 90 minutes of wrestling a night.

Good catch on Yano, Omega and Naito wrestling different matches, that could drag Block B down although I'm hopeful Naito will do alright.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Like you said, *** level stuff would be great by Omega's standards.
    Meltzer gave 4.75 stars to a match that many here shit all over in Elgin/Omega, so maybe we shouldn't act like Omega's are the only standards that are up in the air. Just kidding star ratings are stupid.

I'm pretty excited for this year's G1, campaigning to get a friend or two to sign up for World. Every year it seems like there is too much wrestling and this year it's already overwhelming before G1 is even considered. Really enjoying my Stardom subscription but I have a feeling my attentiveness will fall to the wayside once the tournament starts. What a time to be a fan... hoping for a Naito win but honestly would prefer something out of left field like Omega, Sanada or Marufuji (provided he steps it up, going by a few posts here). Yano's the only one that really irks me. Not so much that I'd prefer a Yujiro Takahashi or Camacho in his place but, I'm just sort of over it. Is this how people felt towards Santino while I was ga ga for the guy?
    [save]

Still Kicking It

Status

I'm not as psyched for this tournament as I am with Battle of Los Angeles because I'm seeing either the same matches over again or guys the company hasn't gotten behind. At least with BOLA, the possibilities are there to excite you. I could see Senada vs. Goto but so what? Some outside the box thinking would help here, like instead of using Yano as a comedy character, use Marty Scrull who's a tongue in cheek villian. Or fly in Dragon Lee if he's not going to be in the Super J Cup. Tonga could be the breakout star here, now that he doesn't have Doc and Karl stealing his spotlight and Nakajima vs. Nagata sounds cool too.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    Meltzer gave 4.75 stars to a match that many here shit all over in Elgin/Omega, so maybe we shouldn't act like Omega's are the only standards that are up in the air. Just kidding star ratings are stupid.
    LOL @ Melty, I think he starts with 4 stars for ladder matches and scores up the longer it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by strange brew View Post
    I'm not as psyched for this tournament as I am with Battle of Los Angeles because I'm seeing either the same matches over again or guys the company hasn't gotten behind. At least with BOLA, the possibilities are there to excite you. I could see Senada vs. Goto but so what? Some outside the box thinking would help here, like instead of using Yano as a comedy character, use Marty Scrull who's a tongue in cheek villian. Or fly in Dragon Lee if he's not going to be in the Super J Cup. Tonga could be the breakout star here, now that he doesn't have Doc and Karl stealing his spotlight and Nakajima vs. Nagata sounds cool too.
    I'm more psyched for the G1 because I'll be able to watch the tournament the day it happens, not months down the line like we will with BOLA

BOLA depends on how it's laid out, the majority of matches could be ones that have already occurred in different indy promotions

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Eden Hazard View Post
    the majority of matches could be ones that have already occurred in different indy promotions
    While that's true, I think the atmosphere in Reseda is irreplaceable. I'd be willing to watch almost any good-to-great match from any promotion become a rematch at PWG because the crowd makes it feel so special. Almost any is bit of a stretch but you know what I mean.

Marty Scurll would be awesome in Yano's place but so would just about anyone else frankly. I get it - he's a rest match for a tournament that tends to see a lot of injuries - but it's just so tired at this point. They should have hired that wrestling robot. Or given Yoshihiko a call.
    [save]

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Is that ****3/4 for real on that ladder match?

Tama as the breakout star? Compare pretty much any matches he's been in 6 months to like 5 other guys and I don't know how you come to that conclusion. I mean I like the guy and think he'll do well, cut a great promo in México yesterday at least.

Ed said it, BOLA taking months to come out and everyone already knowing what happens is such a buzzkill. There's nothing quite like following along with a great tournament and this is one of 3 companies you can follow their big ones live. Plus BOLA's are usually disappointing because the style simply isn't fit to have memorable and classic matches. Just look at last year's where live reports indicated everything was a 5 star classic and some of the best shows of the year.

BTB Legend

Status

Comments

After hearing so many disparate opinions of the ladder match, I decided to find a way to see it and I’ve finally been able to watch it. If you like the stuntman-style, you’re going to like the ladder match, and there is actually a story based around the interference of the Bullet Club and how it ultimately doesn’t win out, so in that regard, there is more than one side to the match, and if someone enjoys this, more power to them, and I’m not going to knock someone for doing so because this is the kind of match where how you rate it really does come down to personal preference.

That said, I hated it so damn much. It was everything I despise about what New Japan has turned into rolled up into one giant package;

1) A gimmick match that I didn’t ever want to see in New Japan.
    2) Way too many convoluted and contrived spots that were so obviously, and slowly, set up it wasn’t funny.
    3) Way too many weapon and ladder shots to the head, most of which ended up meaning nothing.
    4) A bunch of run-ins, featuring the Young Sucks. Yes, I know it’s not the most original of insults, and it may not even be that funny, but I really can’t stand them, and not in a way where I want to see them lose, but in a way where I don’t want to see them at all.

There were other things I didn’t like but they were little things that were more annoying than aggravating, mainly Michael Elgin doing some spots that just didn’t fit his style or character, and the babyfaces who ran in at the end were turned into geeks and bitplayers. If you want a noun or a verb to describe my opinion of the match, I hated it, but if you want a star rating, I’m going with -***** (that’s minus five stars).

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

Still Kicking It

Status

Is that ****3/4 for real on that ladder match?

Tama as the breakout star? Compare pretty much any matches he's been in 6 months to like 5 other guys and I don't know how you come to that conclusion. I mean I like the guy and think he'll do well, cut a great promo in México yesterday at least.
    There's something unique and "Samoan" about the way Tonga works. Not saying he's Kurt Angle, but he's different than the aggressive strong style guys I'm used to seeing in that promotion. I at least know one podcast that's into him so I decided to give him a closer look. He and his brother make a pretty good team.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information