Thread: The Irishman (TBA)

Status
      Country                    United States

The Irishman (TBA)

Release date: TBA
    Director: Martin Scorsese
    MPAA Rating: N/A
    Screenwriter: Steven Zaillian
    Starring: Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci, Harvey Keitel, Bobby Cannavale, Al Pacino, Ray Romano
    Genre: Drama, Crime

Plot Summary: De Niro will star as mob hitman Frank “The Irishman” Sheeran, who is reputed to have carried out more than 25 murders. Al Pacino will portray infamously slain labor leader Jimmy Hoffa. Joe Pesci will portray Pennsylvania Mafia boss Russell Bufalino, who may have had a hand in the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa.
    Last edited by Necro; 06-27-2018 at 04:06 AM.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Re: The Irishman (TBA) - De Niro | Pesci | Keitel | Pacino | Scorsese

This would've been a dream in the 70s through to the early 90s. It has my interest, but I worry there'll be a lot of phoning in going on from any number of these 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Status

I'm hoping the combination of these guys will give these guys some motivation for a great performance.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

That or it'll be like they're just a bunch of old friends hanging out.

Pesci doesn't seem like he gives a damn about anything anymore, will probably do the bare minimum of having at least one rant with that voice, which is what the people want from him anyway.

Keitel is probably the least likely to phone it in, he's still putting in an effort these days like his performance in Youth. If his character gets to be the heart of this film (but I'm guessing De Niro or Pacino or both will be the leads) it might be to the film's benefit.

Pacino, I hear, still has occasionally great performances but not in anything I've seen. Provided he gets to play an actual character and not just a vessel for the "Hooah! I'm Al fuckin' Pacino!" version of Pacino, he could be good but I won't be expecting anything spectacular.

De Niro could go either way, but I don't have much faith in him anymore. He could either want to put on another collaborative classic with Scorsese or just be Bobby and hang out with ol' pals Marty and Joey.

Scorsese, though still one of the best directors going, has gotten by on a LOT of goodwill for his past movies. I enjoyed Wolf of Wall Street until it just wouldn't end and it showed me that Scorsese shouldn't be as unhinged and given everything he wants. Every interview leading up to that film was "Well, of course I did it. Was I gonna say no to Martin Scorsese?!" I can't imagine anyone reeling him in on a film that's looking like a nostalgia piece with this cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Ecstasy View Post
    That or it'll be like they're just a bunch of old friends hanging out.

Pesci doesn't seem like he gives a damn about anything anymore, will probably do the bare minimum of having at least one rant with that voice, which is what the people want from him anyway.

Keitel is probably the least likely to phone it in, he's still putting in an effort these days like his performance in Youth. If his character gets to be the heart of this film (but I'm guessing De Niro or Pacino or both will be the leads) it might be to the film's benefit.

Pacino, I hear, still has occasionally great performances but not in anything I've seen. Provided he gets to play an actual character and not just a vessel for the "Hooah! I'm Al fuckin' Pacino!" version of Pacino, he could be good but I won't be expecting anything spectacular.

De Niro could go either way, but I don't have much faith in him anymore. He could either want to put on another collaborative classic with Scorsese or just be Bobby and hang out with ol' pals Marty and Joey.

Scorsese, though still one of the best directors going, has gotten by on a LOT of goodwill for his past movies. I enjoyed Wolf of Wall Street until it just wouldn't end and it showed me that Scorsese shouldn't be as unhinged and given everything he wants. Every interview leading up to that film was "Well, of course I did it. Was I gonna say no to Martin Scorsese?!" I can't imagine anyone reeling him in on a film that's looking like a nostalgia piece with this cast.
    I mean come on Righteous Kill was beyond awesome.... oh wait.

Yeah you are right, this will probably suck. CRAP!

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

This could and hopefully will be fantastic, but yeah it could be a letdown as well.

I haven't seen Pesci in anything in what must be a decade.

Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif

Status

Louis CK had a great Pesci story where he asked him to be in his new show Horace and Pete. Pesci said no, and also told him he should quit doing stand up because he didn't find him funny.

Status

Re: The Irishman (TBA) - De Niro | Keitel | Pacino | Scorsese

Netflix Picks Up Martin Scorsese’s ‘The Irishman,’ Now Aiming for 2019 Release

After developing Silence for decades — as his producer says, after each new film since the 1990s, it was always planned to be his next project — Martin Scorsese finally completed his priest drama and despite what award season or the box office suggest, it will go down as one of his greatest films. For his next feature, he’ll be tackling another long-developing project with The Irishman, but according to a new report, it will be unprecedented territory for the director, distribution-wise.
    Initially picked up by Paramount, who was planning to release it domestically, as well as Media Asia who picked up Chinese distribution, and STX Entertainment who has other international rights elsewhere, Indiewire reports a new deal has been made — and it is not with a theatrical distributor. Netflix has stepped in and grabbed worldwide rights, according to the outlet. “Scorsese’s movie is a risky deal, and Paramount is not in the position to take risks. This way, he can make the project he wants,” a source says, referencing the studio’s president Brad Grey making plans to step down.
    Starring Robert De Niro and Al Pacino, and perhaps Joe Pesci and Bobby Cannavale, the crime drama is about Frank “The Irishman” Sheeran, a mob hitman whose illustrious career is today best-known for a supposed involvement in the death of Jimmy Hoffa. Once aiming for a 2018 release, it’s now more likely to arrive in 2019, including a day-and-date bow in theaters and on Netflix and a limited Oscar-qualifying run prior to that.
    On one hand, Scorsese teaming with a producer/distributor that can likely provide his entire $100 million budget with no questions asked is a plus. However, we sincerely hope a substantial theatrical roll-out is planned as seeing a new Scorsese film for the first time from our couch just wouldn’t feel right. With that said, Netflix’s plan for a day-and-date roll-out likely means a major theatrical run won’t occur.
    Unlike Amazon Studios, who don’t make their films immediately available to stream and instead team with a theatrical distributor — for example, Manchester by the Sea is on its way to $50 million domestic with the help of Roadside Attractions — Netflix has had little interest in his method. Hopefully they’ll rethink this day-and-date method when it comes to Scorsese, but at any rate, this game-changing news is a major coup for streaming platforms and as strong an indicator as any for where the future of the film industry is headed.
    Interesting deal. Hopefully Netflix changes their ways and gets some theatrical release going.

Really hope Joe Pesci is involved too, these days he seems like a recluse.

Status

Re: The Irishman (2018) - De Niro | Pesci | Pacino | Scorsese

Here's some behind the scenes photos.

MC Mitchy D

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: The Irishman (2018) - De Niro | Pesci | Pacino | Scorsese

Fuck yeah Pesci’s back

Thread Information