B BLOCK
    ● “Beast god of the World” Jushin Thunder Liger [1994 / 2001 Winner]
    ● “4th generation Golden Tiger” Tiger Mask IV [2004 / 2005 Winner]
    ● “Killer Fighting Fish” Bobby Fish
    ● “One and Only Highflyer” Barreta
    ● “Slick Nick” Nick Jackson
    ● “The Future of Flight” Ricochet [2014 Winner]
    ● “Skywalker” Volador Jr. (debut)
    ● “The Aerial Assassin” Will Ospreay (debut)

The tournament will run from May 21st to June 7th.

Initial Thoughts:

- Will Ospreay Vs Bushi is my pick for the final, and I think Big Willy is taking it home in his debut year.

- After all the rumours about Kamaitachi, Dorada and Dragon Lee, it's slightly disappointing to see Volador Jr. as the CMLL representative, but I'm interested to see what he can do.

- Absolutely gutted for David Finlay. I don't know how you get into the tournament for your debut, improve as the year goes on, pay your dues as a young boy and then get dropped for the tournament.

- Normally not a fan of the champions being involved, but glad Kushida is in this to up the native quota.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Re: NJPW Best of the Super Juniors 24 - Begins May 21st

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    - Will Ospreay Vs Bushi is my pick for the final, and I think Big Willy is taking it home in his debut year.
    I figure Ospreay/Kushida is the most likely outcome but Ospreay/BUSHI seems the best way to go. Did not expect us to predict/want for the same thing here.

As for David Finlay, I thought I saw a tweet about him going home making the rounds?
    [save]

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    I figure Ospreay/Kushida is the most likely outcome but Ospreay/BUSHI seems the best way to go. Did not expect us to predict/want for the same thing here.

As for David Finlay, I thought I saw a tweet about him going home making the rounds?
    I just think if you do Kushida/Ospreay as the final, there's not as much drama there because you know Ospreay has to win, and it won't be for the title so then you have to do another title match at Dominion in July so you've seen 3 matches of theirs in 3 months. I think Bushi in the final works, gives them a face/heel dynamic to work with so the fans will gravitate towards the newcomer from England, continues to push Los. IDJ, more unpredictable etc etc

Yeah I remember something about Finlay finishing up soon now that I think about it. If he's gone and not hanging around ringside come May 21st I'll take back those comments.

Looking at the losses and gains from the tournament last year:

Lost:
    Alex Shelley
    Barbaro Cavernario
    Chase Owens
    David Finlay
    Mascara Dorada
    Yohei Komatsu

Gained:
    BUSHI
    Matt Jackson
    Matt Sydal
    Ricochet
    Volador Jr.
    Will Ospreay

I think the blocks are stronger for these changes, because as great as some of those young boys are, you've thrown in 5 experienced cruisers and the best high flyer in the world today in Will so I think there's more potential for great matches this time around. I think they're probably going to be tighter as well because I don't see any obvious candidates to have a 1-6 or 0-7 tournament.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Volador's a great flyer, in a lot of ways he was those guys before those guys showed up. I'm pleasantly surprised for this reason: Unlike those 3 who are midcard and NJPW would do nothing with, Volador's a main eventer in CMLL & FM shows and they'll likely feel obligated to push him more and although in my heart I think Ospreay will and should win, he's the only other person I peg with a serious shot in Block B (Ricochet isn't out of the question) especially if the plan is for KUSHIDA to continue his Jr. Ace push leading into the Super J Cup, Volador's a much better person to beat than Ospreay long term.

I think Finlay's going on excursion soon, I remember he tweeted something about it but I'm not 100% sure. Jay White too. Still I would much rather have them than the World's Most Mediocre Tag Team (O'Reilly/Fish)

In general it boggles my mind why they don't have more outside companies for this like they used to. At minimum there should be 1 person representing CMLL, NOAH, DDT, & ROH in tournaments imo.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Volador's a great flyer, in a lot of ways he was those guys before those guys showed up. I'm pleasantly surprised for this reason: Unlike those 3 who are midcard and NJPW would do nothing with, Volador's a main eventer in CMLL & FM shows and they'll likely feel obligated to push him more and although in my heart I think Ospreay will and should win, he's the only other person I peg with a serious shot in Block B (Ricochet isn't out of the question) especially if the plan is for KUSHIDA to continue his Jr. Ace push leading into the Super J Cup, Volador's a much better person to beat than Ospreay long term.

I think Finlay's going on excursion soon, I remember he tweeted something about it but I'm not 100% sure. Jay White too. Still I would much rather have them than the World's Most Mediocre Tag Team (O'Reilly/Fish)

In general it boggles my mind why they don't have more outside companies for this like they used to. At minimum there should be 1 person representing CMLL, NOAH, DDT, & ROH in tournaments imo.
    I see your points about Kushida, and I'd agree maybe someone else should win if you want to keep Kushida strong because Ospreay shouldn't lose 2 in a row to him. I don't see it happening however.

On the outside companies thing, maybe this year they wanted to ease up because The Super J Cup will be the tournament all about 'this guy is a NOAH guy' 'this guy's representing ROH' etc. That excuse doesn't really work though because there wasn't a Super J Cup last year and they ignored NOAH and others I thought a while ago we might of seen ACH in the BOSJ, but with their JR Tag Team division there's so many American/Canadian guys to fit in who work for ROH that it wouldn't have the same impact. Maybe ACH will be in the Super J Cup.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

I think Will will win too, my only caveat is I think an Ospreay win poses some problems in that if he wins it means that he & KUSHIDA will have a too quick rematch, and if Ospreay wins KUSHIDA's run will get cut off while there's still so much juice left in it and if KUSHIDA wins I don't want to see a third match between them for a long time. I also think Ricochet will have a good run unless this title switch was a red herring of some sort. I think LU may have made an offer he couldn't refuse though and he'll be in NJP for awhile yet.

It's not like it was decades past where they had different companies represent. In 2011 they had: TJP, Fujita Hayato, Kenny Omega, Davey Richards, Kota Ibushi, Great Sasuke, Kushida, Taka Michinoku, Daisuke Sasaki, & Máscara Dorada all representing non-NJPW companies and it was probably their last great one like how it used to be. It's not like it'd be that hard, even in 2009 when the last J Cup happened they had great outside influence.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

i have to agree with the prediction that BUSHI vs Ospreay is the final. I think it makes most sense with LIJ looking good recently and BUSHI being a part of them. Ospreay is Osplay and they seem to have taken a really big shine to him. A KUSHIDA/Ospreay final would be somewhat nice too though but I think i'd rather they kept them separate until a title showdown. I wonder if they will have BUSHI beat KUSH too. Excited to see my first BOSJ as it happens.

I think I would have preferred Ospreay to be in KUSHIDA's group with Ospreay beating KUSHIDA there and losing to BUSHI in the final. That way BUSHI goes on to face KUSH and loses and Ospreay has cause for a rematch cause he's the guy that pinned KUSHIDA in the BOSJ.

Something like that. Maybe that's just a bad idea though.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 05-04-2016 at 08:59 AM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Still Kicking It

Status
      Country                    United States

They have a strong card for what they have. I don't blame them for reaching out west because they want to corner a global market and some of the native juniors will need to work to earn that top spot. While I appreciate Chase Owens and Mascara Dorada as workers, mixing up the card helps a lot to bring in new matches unlike the G1 which seemed like a repeat of the last one. William Osprey vs. BUSHI would be a great choice for the finals with the LIJ push and William being the babyface to take him down. Ricochet could be in that spot too. I recommend giving Taiguchi at least a high ranking to show his dominance.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Re: NJPW Best of the Super Juniors 23 - Begins May 21st

Nick Jackson has been replaced by Chase Owens which I consider an improvement although technically he's a bullet club member as well.

Status

Not bad, doesn't change the overall picture much and keeps the BC element.

Really wish they had tried to get more natives involved or tried to get Kamaitachi in. I wouldn't have minded them getting someone from NOAH but I imagine that they're less likely to go outwith the promotion for this - especially when the Super J Cup is still to come.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Nick Jackson has been replaced by Chase Owens which I consider an improvement although technically he's a bullet club member as well.
    Not bad, good for Chase.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

And now Matt Jackson is out, New Japan to announce a replacement at some point.

this line up gets better and better.

Status

Come on down Captain Fookin New Japan

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Admin in Lockdown

Status

DAVID FINLAY

Really happy with this lineup.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

AWESOME.

Great to see Drake Bell make one more run in NJPW. Go for the win, little buddy.

Circle Jerker

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

anyone awake for night 1?

Status

Im up - what time does the show start?

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Circle Jerker

Status

in 20 minutes~~~~

Status

Just started the show so will be behind... Looking forward to KUSH/KOR

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Circle Jerker

Status

you didnt miss much, the opener was whatevs with a clunky finishing spot which volador didnt seem thrilled about.

only worth staying up this late here to see the kushida/o'reilly rematch. im more excited for the B block matchups than A block.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information