Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1060

Thread: TEW 2016

Status

Re: TEW 2016

Into Week 4 of January of the restart. Considering I'm doing three shows per week, that isn't bad. Spent $100K to open up Championship Wrestling from Boston and a chunk of money on the signing bonuses for the new additions, but still have turned a small profit. I don't imagine the PPV at the end of the month will bring in a windfall, but should still turn a decent profit.

I'd like to open a dojo at some point in the first few months, but moreso, having some extra money means I can look at just cutting some written contracts for talent that I don't find useful. I have one of the Moondogs ticked off after I jobbed them to the British Bulldogs, so hoping that will lead to him wanting to quit.

The shows are pretty easy to book and I'm not finding three shows per week to be a grind so far. The biggest issue at this point is fitting all the angles I want to have each week on the A TV show since its still only 1 hour. I will move the duration up at some point, but figured I would leave for a bit. Its on USA Network now instead of free-to-air so it makes us some money too.

I am definitely not making full use of some of the new additions, but the roster is strong enough that I don't need to rush to turn them into main eventers, so I'm basically taking advantage of that.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

While I like that the WWF is smaller in 1985, the main path to success remains heavy use of Hogan and that honestly makes it feel rather similar to a 1987 save with them. so I didn't really book much further into February. I ended up looking at Japanese companies - mainly All Japan Pro Wrestling - and then Jim Crockett. And the latter has me rather intrigued.

JCP only start at Regional but their TV deal means its pretty easy to push to Cult quite quickly. Some key guys are under Written contracts. The Four Horsemen formed in later 1985, Dusty is still a MAJOR star for them, and Magnum hasn't had his accident yet. So its got loads of potential. And its further away from the point where JCP had no money and had to sell, becoming WCW, than the 1987 mod is. The WWE Network posting up the legendary 1986 Crockett Cup doesn't make it less appealing either.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

So started up a JCP save. Haven't gotten rolling. But there isn't much use signing a bunch of talent, so I'm only adding a few workers. The schedule - a TV taping and two "tour" shows per week - might actually necessitate a bigger roster. The bummer I just discovered is that Ricky Steamboat and Terry Funk both start with just a month left on their contracts and while Steamboat will resign, the Funk-er will not. So there go some of my plans for Flair's first feud. I'm going to bring in Harley Race to give Flair an alpha heel to face for awhile. Somewhere a bit further into 1985, I will turn Flair heel and form the Horsemen.

As I mentioned, JCP start at regional but with a national TV deal in place, it doesn't seem to take too long to hit Cult. That's the point where I can offer Written deals and will start to vacuum up some of the young talent that's out there. The AI only seems to take a few months to do it, and I am taking a step that the AI doesn't - signing a commercial broadcast deal for events, so at least our monthly big shows are being seen nationally, even if its in a shitty slot. Once I can get a proper PPV deal for events, I can use that deal to broadcast Clash of the Champions events.

Probably going to run the first Jim Crockett Sr Cup in April, a year before it actually happened. It won't be a super card in the same way it actually was, since getting in a lot of talent from other promotions doesn't seem quite as easily workable. I also want to run a big singles tournament but haven't settled plans for that yet.

The signings I am making off the top are Harley Race, Randy Savage (and Miss Elizabeth), Arn Anderson and the Road Warriors. Arn will form the Minnesota Wrecking Crew with Ole and set the stage for the Horsemen. Savage is going to come in as a babyface. I'll gradually add more talent as its needed and especially after I can offer Written deals.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

Finally bit the bullet and downloaded a Real World 2019 mod. Now I've got the same problem I did when I downloaded Thunderverse - I have no idea where to begin.

At least now I can eventually push Konnor to the WWE title.

CWA: A Decade of Decadence
    Maybe the end of something great.
    Maybe the start of something new.
    Stay tuned.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Jazz Wolf View Post
    Finally bit the bullet and downloaded a Real World 2019 mod. Now I've got the same problem I did when I downloaded Thunderverse - I have no idea where to begin.

At least now I can eventually push Konnor to the WWE title.
    So many options. The idea of booking the current WWE is always appealing until I start to look over the roster and see how much shit there is to deal with. And then its just.... fuck nah, I'm good.

The other thing that tends to annoy me about real world current day mods is looking over top young prospects. Some will always be underrated. Which sets me off on a path of possibly editing to make them more "realistic".... but that's an entire rabbit hole. Like last year, I grabbed the release of the Real World Chronicles in the spring. and had some ideas. But then I looked at WALTER. he's been buffed quite a bit, but back then he was just a mediocre wrestler with no SQ or Menace.

if its a historical mod, I have an easier time accepting things that I might not agree with whole wholly and doing a bit of editing where necessary. But current day ones.... I just never want to lol

curious to read about how you get on with it.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    So many options. The idea of booking the current WWE is always appealing until I start to look over the roster and see how much shit there is to deal with. And then its just.... fuck nah, I'm good.

The other thing that tends to annoy me about real world current day mods is looking over top young prospects. Some will always be underrated. Which sets me off on a path of possibly editing to make them more "realistic".... but that's an entire rabbit hole. Like last year, I grabbed the release of the Real World Chronicles in the spring. and had some ideas. But then I looked at WALTER. he's been buffed quite a bit, but back then he was just a mediocre wrestler with no SQ or Menace.

if its a historical mod, I have an easier time accepting things that I might not agree with whole wholly and doing a bit of editing where necessary. But current day ones.... I just never want to lol

curious to read about how you get on with it.
    still waiting for the day i get to read a btb of yours in the monthly style but not of WCW. just twiddling my thumbs. one day, i think to myself, one day. but deep inside, a boy knows better.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    still waiting for the day i get to read a btb of yours in the monthly style but not of WCW. just twiddling my thumbs. one day, i think to myself, one day. but deep inside, a boy knows better.
    Half of the problem is settling on a time-period / company. I dug quite a bit about the idea of a WCW 1994 project but doing that time period was also kinda.... a negative at the same time? I've mostly been watching mid-80s stuff and New Japan stuff, neither of which is all that appealing for a project. There is still something appeals about fairly modern WWE. Not necessarily right now, but somewhere in the past few years. The NXT era. I think the monthly approach would make the booking load of three brands actually manageable. I just never land on the time period slash scenario that inspires.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

No One

Status

Half of the problem is settling on a time-period / company. I dug quite a bit about the idea of a WCW 1994 project but doing that time period was also kinda.... a negative at the same time? I've mostly been watching mid-80s stuff and New Japan stuff, neither of which is all that appealing for a project. There is still something appeals about fairly modern WWE. Not necessarily right now, but somewhere in the past few years. The NXT era. I think the monthly approach would make the booking load of three brands actually manageable. I just never land on the time period slash scenario that inspires.
    what do i have to do for you to settle on a time-period / company?

Status

what do i have to do for you to settle on a time-period / company?
    throw ideas at me? LOL. That can't hurt. I have mulled a number of them but it usually comes down to there is more I dislike than like about a given scenario. Its actually quite like TEW - I'll have an idea or two for a company, and it seems great, but when I fire up the save and start booking it, all the other aspects involved in the company are more of a pain to deal with than the enjoyment for the parts I do like.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

No One

Status

I dont think Ill ever find an idea that youll be satisfied enough with the pros to keep it up for 2-3 years. So I'll just say which ones would interest me the most:

Ring of Honor from birth - I'd love to see an ROH where they actually try to make a push towards the WWE and past TNA instead of settling for what they get. Theres a lot of good stuff here but equally as much bad stuff. Plus it'd be great to see the business/backstage politics side of things for a company this small. The innovations to grow the company will also be super fun to read the same way seeing things like WCW's regional touring was.

TNA 2009 - I know theres a whole lot of negative here but how about an optimistic world where Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff genuinely wanted to present competition to WWE and werent going to be self-centered or egomaniacal about it. Things actually work out and the returning stars are used to put over the future stars. That or you can have everything go to shit and some diamond in the rough managing to pierce through Bischoff/Hogan to help the company.

PROGRESS - I actually dont know much about them but it would be cool to see you do your style with a straight forward indy company that you really dig. Probably the most interesting project for me because its not a gimmicky theme based thing.

Post-Vince WWE - I would love to see that question answered of what if Vince was no longer in charge of WWE. The power vacuum that would ensue and the possible change in the product from whoever manages to win favor that week, especially with growing competition from AEW & NJPW.

NOAH 2009 - Post-Misawa NOAH. Id love to see a puro done in your style. Would be cool to see how you control pushes and who puts over who, and the story of the matches, and the way the tournaments go. Its an easy opportunity for your early struggle then a hero comes along and saves them angles with WCW's near death.

1-3 years of any of these would be cool

Status

I realize this belongs more in the BTB thread, but fuck it....

Ring of Honor from birth - this is fairly intriguing. The biggest problems I have are Feinstein and, honestly, familiarity. I have watched a ton of ROH but its almost all single matches. Very little of it is full top to bottom shows. Much like when I toy with ECW, I worry about not really capturing the vibe of the company, of what made it unique and loved. The talent is fascinating, and there are some fun possibilities.

TNA 2009 - I toy with TNA every so often, and this era probaby more than any other. I even came up with a bit of a scenario around the Hogan & Bischoff situation. The problem, fundamentally, is that I've slowly realized I deeply dislike TNA. Like outright loathe them for what they've done over the years. I wanted them to be JUST FUCKING BETTER for so many years that the hope slowly wore away and became disgust. I've reached a point where they could be doing like 2019 New Japan and having 5 star matches by the handful and I would still have to be convinced to watch them. So yeah.... I think that loathing would make that hard to stick with.

PROGRESS - I love Progress and watched through their shows right up until about early 2018. I stopped watching around when things kinda turned and a lot of fans became a bit more abivilent, in large part because the WWE influence became more overt. I don't see a lot of point to rebooking the early days because I wouldn't do it better, and I haven't come up with a good idea to alter the WWE alliance that feels.... right...?

Post-Vince WWE - in some ways the most likely but in many ways the hardest. I've considered a ton of time periods. Current. 2009. 2010. 2013. 2014. 2015. But the sheer size of the company means that every period has good stuff and absolute shit. And I don't like mass changes, so I wouldn't want to simply clear out the shit in a month or two. And it becomes like booking WCW through 2001.... a chore. I keep poking around it, but just have yet to fall into the right combination of point in time and divergence scenario. Like I've said, I think the monthly recap style would make the company interesting to book.

NOAH 2009 - break my damned heart, whydoncha? Post-Misawa? Oh, that would hurt. A Noah project at some point in time definitely does have some intrigue. Pretty sure Dylan would love the shit out of it, too. Still has an element of "would I properly capture things".
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

No One

Status

In the case of the companies where you're afraid of not being able to properly capture things, I dont know what to say you wont know until you try. Just do a whole year. If you dont like it, move on Just one year. For ROH in particular, maybe having it start in the post-Feinstein era might be best? I figured the Feinstein bit gives you an out for how things turn around for the better the way you usually have with Bischoff in WCW.

Post-Vince WWE holds more appeal for me in 2013 or later when the roster starts to shape up in-ring talent wise. WWE is interesting because you're dealing from a position of power now instead of WCW's vulnerable start. It's definitely a different change of pace. Theres a lot of tiny things itd be interesting to see you deal with like the presentation, the brand division, the developmental process, the global expansion. If it were closer to today, there's the Blood Money stuff, the fact that WWE is sort of under siege with regards to its talent.

Ive also always been into the idea of seeing you just manage a brand new company. It could be in the aftermath of the death of WCW, it could be a 2010s thing, maybe after TNA gets booted off Spike.

At the end of the day, if youre unable to find anything where the joy of writing outweighs the negatives, then there's nothing that can be done, really.

If it were up to me, I'd make you do NOAH 2009 because the idea of a resurging puro company, the tournaments, the amount of talent rising up throughout this past decade, the guys you can bring in on tours, etc. Everything about it really appeals to me.

Status

In the case of the companies where you're afraid of not being able to properly capture things, I dont know what to say you wont know until you try. Just do a whole year. If you dont like it, move on Just one year. For ROH in particular, maybe having it start in the post-Feinstein era might be best? I figured the Feinstein bit gives you an out for how things turn around for the better the way you usually have with Bischoff in WCW.

Post-Vince WWE holds more appeal for me in 2013 or later when the roster starts to shape up in-ring talent wise. WWE is interesting because you're dealing from a position of power now instead of WCW's vulnerable start. It's definitely a different change of pace. Theres a lot of tiny things itd be interesting to see you deal with like the presentation, the brand division, the developmental process, the global expansion. If it were closer to today, there's the Blood Money stuff, the fact that WWE is sort of under siege with regards to its talent.

Ive also always been into the idea of seeing you just manage a brand new company. It could be in the aftermath of the death of WCW, it could be a 2010s thing, maybe after TNA gets booted off Spike.

At the end of the day, if youre unable to find anything where the joy of writing outweighs the negatives, then there's nothing that can be done, really.

If it were up to me, I'd make you do NOAH 2009 because the idea of a resurging puro company, the tournaments, the amount of talent rising up throughout this past decade, the guys you can bring in on tours, etc. Everything about it really appeals to me.
    Well, the "not comfortable enough with the company" dynamic generally means I would want to gain more comfort. That means "research" time before really getting into the project proper. Its just spending time watching shows, if possible, but it lengthens the prep process. Same with digging into the background of a company - not just knowing that certain things happened, but trying to gain an understanding of why. The less familiar I am with a company, the more that's necessary. And I realize its not completely required.... but I just loathe the idea of starting to post monthly recaps and have someone who is much more intimately familiar with that company find overt and avoidable fault with something you've decided to do simply because you didn't understand a given dynamic.

The post-2013 also has the advantages of NXT and the network coming not too far down the road. The corporate nature of the WWE, which is becoming more and more impactful, is an interesting dynamic but one that annoys as much as it intrigues. The Blood Money deal just pisses me off, so kinda like TNA, dealing with that makes me just not want to do it rather than work it into the project. One thing I would worry about with the WWE is that any possible project could very easily become way too focused on the backstage and front office dynamics, which did happen a bit in the WCW projects.

I've toyed with custom companies a few times and I just don't tend to love the idea. Even reading custom companies - whether its real world, Cverse, Tverse.... I'm just less likely to even ready that kind of project.

I know what you mean about the puro schedule. To be honest, Noah is fairly problematic through this period. Their decline wasn't just due to Misawa's death, and there is a lot of backstage stuff that makes it kinda convoluted, like the ticket scandal. I don't have to get into that, or even have it happen, but it played a big role in the companies drop from prominence.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

R.I.P. Lionheart

Status
    Tannadice Park, Now Residing at The Emirates
      Country                    Scotland

NOAH 2009 sounds the most appealing to me, simply because I'm not familiar with that time period so it'd be interesting to see the names available

"Say My Name, I'm History"
    17/12/1982-19/06/2019

Status

Not saying I'm going the direction of Noah 2009 (or somewhere in the 00s) but I did some Noah downloading on Ditch's site on the weekend, and will look to do some more. so much of my Noah collection is 2000-2006.

But in TEW terms, I randomly decided to start up a TCW save. Just felt like doing something not-RW for a bit. I haven't gone very far - switching the network for the TV show, opened a child company, and signed up some talent. As always, its hard being selective on who I hire so that I don't bloat the roster.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

No One

Status

Not saying I'm going the direction of Noah 2009 (or somewhere in the 00s) but I did some Noah downloading on Ditch's site on the weekend, and will look to do some more. so much of my Noah collection is 2000-2006.

But in TEW terms, I randomly decided to start up a TCW save. Just felt like doing something not-RW for a bit. I haven't gone very far - switching the network for the TV show, opened a child company, and signed up some talent. As always, its hard being selective on who I hire so that I don't bloat the roster.
    Let me know how you get on with the TCW game. They're a fun company and easily my favorite of the American trio.

Status

Let me know how you get on with the TCW game. They're a fun company and easily my favorite of the American trio.
    Same, at least in most ways. I have a soft spot for the SWF and always will. I've had a couple great saves with them. I always love their balance and the ease of the SE product. TCW had gradually grown more challenging and is now a glorified developmental company for the AI. Because USPW, SOTBPW and the SWF are so predatory, you lose everyone of importance. Its just a given. I do tend to play as the owner so I could financially cripple the company by bidding what it would take to keep Rocky Golden, Wolf Hawkins, or whoever. Just seems like a bad idea. So its all about building a new generation. Guys like Vessey, Tornado, and RDJ are all broken and highly likely to be on time decline.

Its fun to imagine how the company would look. "American Strong Style". Tournaments. Maybe add a cruiser division.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

No One

Status

Same, at least in most ways. I have a soft spot for the SWF and always will. I've had a couple great saves with them. I always love their balance and the ease of the SE product. TCW had gradually grown more challenging and is now a glorified developmental company for the AI. Because USPW, SOTBPW and the SWF are so predatory, you lose everyone of importance. Its just a given. I do tend to play as the owner so I could financially cripple the company by bidding what it would take to keep Rocky Golden, Wolf Hawkins, or whoever. Just seems like a bad idea. So its all about building a new generation. Guys like Vessey, Tornado, and RDJ are all broken and highly likely to be on time decline.

Its fun to imagine how the company would look. "American Strong Style". Tournaments. Maybe add a cruiser division.
    Is it? Finances are pretty trivial if you decide to play it like a game (IE: Sign Marat Khoklov, get better broadcasting deals asap, get good working agreements). I prefer the handicap of having to build a whole new roster though. However, with the right luck in terms of contract expiry with AA/Golden/Hawkins, you could be smooth sailing in general. It's definitely a fun company to conceptualize, but I'm going to stay far away from a new game or I might get addicted.

Status

Is it? Finances are pretty trivial if you decide to play it like a game (IE: Sign Marat Khoklov, get better broadcasting deals asap, get good working agreements). I prefer the handicap of having to build a whole new roster though. However, with the right luck in terms of contract expiry with AA/Golden/Hawkins, you could be smooth sailing in general. It's definitely a fun company to conceptualize, but I'm going to stay far away from a new game or I might get addicted.
    POTENTIALLY handicapping, I guess. If you don't have to worry about those big contracts for awhile, then signing them a monster salary probably isn't as much of a concern. but if its early.... I've seen one or two people talk about what it took to keep Golden in-house when you are in a big multi-way bidding war and its pretty fucking massive. If that was early in a save, that could be problematic. Do it for two and you might be finding it tough to make money. If its 2-3 years into a save where money is basically of no concern, then its less of an issue. Then it would be moreso about wanting to avoid those clauses I don't want to include in a contract.

But it does get a bit dicier when you consider how much talent you can lose. If you want to fight it out to Golden, Hawkins, Andrews, or Bach.... I get it. That said, the AI companies will go after almost anyone at midcard level with some talent who isn't on time decline. So do you go to battle to keep Guide, Scout, Edd Stone, Joshua Taylor, Chance Fortune, Human Arsenal, Mighty Mo, Jay Chord, Darryl Devine.... even seen RDJ and Vessey get poached, and those two are almost always declining. Eddie Peak might be the only guy I rarely see get poached by the AI and who isn't a lock to be declining. Its highly unlikely you have all of those deals coming up in the first year or 18 months.... but some will. And keeping means fighting off the big bucks and overpaying.

I don't think this is going to be an uber-serious save so I definitely wouldn't be above editing a contract or two if it was going to ruin my enjoyment. Not my intent, though.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

No One

Status

POTENTIALLY handicapping, I guess. If you don't have to worry about those big contracts for awhile, then signing them a monster salary probably isn't as much of a concern. but if its early.... I've seen one or two people talk about what it took to keep Golden in-house when you are in a big multi-way bidding war and its pretty fucking massive. If that was early in a save, that could be problematic. Do it for two and you might be finding it tough to make money. If its 2-3 years into a save where money is basically of no concern, then its less of an issue. Then it would be moreso about wanting to avoid those clauses I don't want to include in a contract.

But it does get a bit dicier when you consider how much talent you can lose. If you want to fight it out to Golden, Hawkins, Andrews, or Bach.... I get it. That said, the AI companies will go after almost anyone at midcard level with some talent who isn't on time decline. So do you go to battle to keep Guide, Scout, Edd Stone, Joshua Taylor, Chance Fortune, Human Arsenal, Mighty Mo, Jay Chord, Darryl Devine.... even seen RDJ and Vessey get poached, and those two are almost always declining. Eddie Peak might be the only guy I rarely see get poached by the AI and who isn't a lock to be declining. Its highly unlikely you have all of those deals coming up in the first year or 18 months.... but some will. And keeping means fighting off the big bucks and overpaying.

I don't think this is going to be an uber-serious save so I definitely wouldn't be above editing a contract or two if it was going to ruin my enjoyment. Not my intent, though.
    I dont think its an issue even early on. The game isnt too complicated on the financial side unless you're in an awkward cult spot and under. Keep Golden/Hawkins/Andrews/Bach, the guys with great SQ. Most of the midcard are easily replaceable because theres a shitton of talent chilling in the independent scene and their popularities will match those of the midcard overnight thanks to being put on nationally-broadcasted TV. Id let RDJ/Vessey get poached, but who cares. Peak not getting poached is great since he's amazing.

Idk. Personally playing as a national company, especially as an owner, I'd have absolutely zero qualms about overpaying for wrestlers because there are so many ways to make money. Its like playing a BPL team in FM, overpay guys, spend whatever you want, you'll have more money than you know what to do with.

Thread Information