Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748
Results 941 to 959 of 959

Thread: TEW 2016

  1. #941
    Big Papa's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    14,664
    Rep Power
    274279

    Re: TEW 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    It would still count as a subscription service though which works. Also, in Canada, pretty sure WWE Network works basically the same as WWE On Demand in the sense that you need cable to get it anyways, even if afterwards you can use it as a streaming service. But you can't use it EXCLUSIVELY as a streaming service.

    The Flock & Four Horsemen have to be the biggest staples of your WCW runs Lance Storm would fit perfectly with Benoit & Malenko but it's sort of an odd looking Four Horsemen. Those three strike me as ill-fitting but I'm not super familiar with Four Horsemen anyways. Still, maybe you should shake things up with a more charismatic member. Where is Chris Jericho at?

    Kurt Angle surprising the world and ending Goldberg's streak would be awesome but it should definitely be a case of Goldberg winning the WCW World Championship first
    Two of my favorite stables. But its also very fitting with the time-period. This was just after Raven's Flock debuted and when they were sitting front row every week. And the Four Horsemen were reformed in mid-1998.

    I agree on Storm not quite fitting and that being problematic given that Benoit and Malenko already have that dynamic. Awesome is kinda the same. Jericho would be ideal in a lot of ways but I kinda wanna have him do his own thing to move up the card thru '98. Shane Douglas might fit reasonably well and its a bit ironic given how much he hates Flair now, but it also goes against his anti-establishment ECW character. So I'm still mulling at the moment. No need to decide ASAP as it won't be reformed for a bit.

    It might hard not to massively overpush him early. But really, he was rapidly pushed in the WWF so its not unrealistic to end up doing that anyway.

  2. #942
    No One

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Westeros
    Posts
    12,597
    Rep Power
    588524
      Country                    Canada

    Re: TEW 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    @Jon

    Yeah. I definitely do things different on purpose. When I play TEW, I usually don't strive to get the best grades possible and take over the world, or anything like that. It's usually just me going full fantasy booking with whatever strikes me. DDP vs. Kanyon is just practically unavoidable.

    BG James will be a gatekeeper. I'm sure he'll be main event by default but he's not someone I will put in World Title programs and he'll definitely do his fair show of losing to the up and comers who are on the verge of main eventing.

    I'm not too sure how much longer the D'Lo experiment will last. He's not really particularly good at anything. He does have great chemistry when teaming with Booker and I guess he can be another guy that helps me build for the future, which he's already doing with the Stasiak feud.
    I haven't really been striving for best grades myself so much as what I thought might make sense in terms of who would be headlining to start in a WCW revival. I woulda monster pushed AJ Styles/RVD/Mike Awesome/Lance Storm/Kanyon otherwise, I think. I tend to aim for what I feel might be more realistic/logical booking versus fantasy booking or going for grades. Fantasy booking woulda turned this into indy fest as well But then I try to steer the realistic booking towards the direction of what I'd like to fantasy book.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Two of my favorite stables. But its also very fitting with the time-period. This was just after Raven's Flock debuted and when they were sitting front row every week. And the Four Horsemen were reformed in mid-1998.

    I agree on Storm not quite fitting and that being problematic given that Benoit and Malenko already have that dynamic. Awesome is kinda the same. Jericho would be ideal in a lot of ways but I kinda wanna have him do his own thing to move up the card thru '98. Shane Douglas might fit reasonably well and its a bit ironic given how much he hates Flair now, but it also goes against his anti-establishment ECW character. So I'm still mulling at the moment. No need to decide ASAP as it won't be reformed for a bit.

    It might hard not to massively overpush him early. But really, he was rapidly pushed in the WWF so its not unrealistic to end up doing that anyway.
    Can you not grab a Sean O'Haire or Mark Jindrak or maybe grab a guy like Edge to slot in the Four Horsemen role?

    ---

    Finished up the qualifying rounds for the Champions League of Wrestling:

    First Preliminary Round:
    KENTA (#78) defeated Shawn Hernandez (#81)
    Ricky Banderas (#80) defeated Nathan Jones (#79)

    Second Preliminary Round:
    KENTA (#78) defeated Ricky Banderas (#80)


    First Qualifying Round:
    KENTA (#78) defeated Dalip Singh (#45)
    Kenny Omega (#77) defeated John Cena (#46)
    El Dandy (#47) defeated Jon Heidenreich (#76)
    Steve Corino (#48) defeated Claudio Castagnoli (#75)
    Super Crazy (#49) defeated Austin Aries (#74)
    Masato Tanaka (#50) defeated Pimpinela Escarlata (#73)
    Samoa Joe (#51) defeated CM Punk (#72)
    Bryan Danielson (#52) defeated Carly Colon (#71)
    Don Frye (#53) defeated Vampiro (#70)
    Nigel McGuinness (#54) defeated Brad Armstrong (#69)
    AJ Styles (#55) defeated Yoshihiro Tajiri (#68)
    CIMA (#56) defeated Kid Kash (#67)
    Halloween (#57) defeated Jerelle Clark (#66)
    Frankie Kazarian (#65) defeated Jack Evans (#58)
    Fergal Devitt (#64) defeated Matt Sydal (#59)
    Paul London (#60) defeated Chris Sabin (#63)
    Brian Kendrick (#62) defeated Teddy Hart (#61)

    Second Qualifying Round:
    KENTA (#78) defeated Randy Savage (#36)
    Kenny Omega (#77) defeated Ricky Morton (#37)
    El Dandy (#47) defeated Robbie Brookside (#38)
    Steve Corino (#48) defeated Robert Gibson (#39)
    Super Crazy (#49) defeated Scott Hall (#40)
    Masato Tanaka (#50) defeated Tito Santana (#41)
    Samoa Joe (#51) defeated Tommy Dreamer (#42)
    Bryan Danielson (#52) defeated Tracy Smothers (#43)
    Don Frye (#53) defeated Tully Blanchard (#44)
    Nigel McGuinness (#54) defeated Brian Kendrick (#62)
    AJ Styles (#55) defeated Paul London (#60)
    Fergal Devitt (#64) defeated CIMA (#56)
    Halloween (#57) defeated Frankie Kazarian (#65)


    Third Qualifying Round:
    KENTA (#78) defeated Bobby Eaton (#29)
    Kenny Omega (#77) defeated Chavo Guerrero Sr. (#30)
    Christopher Daniels (#31) defeated El Dandy (#47)
    Steve Corino (#48) defeated Hector Guerrero (#32)
    Keiji Mutoh (#33) defeated Super Crazy (#49)
    Masato Tanaka (#50) defeated Koko B. Ware (#34)
    Samoa Joe (#51) defeated Pierroth Jr. (#35)
    Bryan Danielson (#52) defeated Halloween (#57)
    Fergal Devitt (#64) defeated Don Frye (#53)
    AJ Styles (#55) defeated Nigel MCGuinness (#54)

    Comments: KENTA continues to tear through the roster. Kenny Omega, Steve Corino, Masato Tanaka, Samoa Joe win by virtue of facing old, dying men. Christopher Daniels had a nice series with El Dandy. El Dandy's strong run comes to an end. Super Crazy hit a brick wall in Japanese legend Keiji Mutoh after overcoming Scott Hall the previous round. I'm sure he'll have a solid run next year. Halloween is impressive for a guy I've never heard of but Danielson is too good. Don Frye was solid for his underwhelming in game stats but Devitt is younger and growing really fast. Styles vs. McGuinness was an awesome series but Styles won confidently. McGuiness will definitely have good runs in future years.

    Playoff Round:
    KENTA (#78) defeated Black Terry (#27)
    Kenny Omega (#77) defeated Bob Backlund (#28)
    AJ Styles (#55) defeated Christopher Daniels (#31)
    Steve Corino (#48) defeated Fergal Devitt (#64)
    Keiji Mutoh (#33) defeated Bryan Danielson (#52)
    Samoa Joe (#51) defeated Masato Tanaka (#50)

    Comments: The qualifying round ends with some amazing match-ups. Kenny Omega & KENTA walk through the legends and are the lowest seeds to place into the group stage. KENTA has been in since the very first preliminary round. He won't have to worry about an early start next season. AJ Styles has another awesome series with Christopher Daniels and manages to get into the group stage. Devitt just didn't have it in him to beat Corino, so the former ECW World Heavyweight Champ gets through. Danielson went in with a win in the first leg but Keiji Mutoh won in the second leg in an awesome match. Danielson had potential to go far but like Crazy, met a living legend in Mutoh. Joe & Tanaka had vicious brawls that ended in Joe winning.

    Group Stage:
    Group A: Warrior, Don Harris, The Barbarian, AJ Styles
    Group B: Jeff Jarrett, Marc Mero, Great Sasuke, Barry Windham
    Group C: Curt Hennig, Ernest Miller, Hector Garza, Steve Corino
    Group D: Dustin Rhodes, Konnan, Eddie Guerrero, KENTA
    Group E: Jake Roberts, Rob Van Dam ,Juventud Guerrera, Samoa Joe
    Group F: Terry Funk, Ron Harris, Norman Smiley, Kenny Omega
    Group G: BG James, D’Lo Brown, Road Warrior Animal, Bill Dundee
    Group H: Shane Douglas, Glenn Gilberti, Jushin Liger, Keiji Mutoh

    Drawn in order of entry. We got Road Warrior Animal to replace Ultimo Dragon who was dealing with an injury. Eddie Guerrero replaced Barry Horrowitz who quit. Eddie is my new favorite to win the whole tournament but I'd love to see someone pull out the upset.

    The year ended:
    Top 10 Workers Worldwide: Steve Austin, Chris Benoit, Toshiaki Kawada, Keiji Mutoh, Mitsuharu Misawa, Jun Akiyama, Juventud Guerrera, Hiroshi Hase, Yoshinari Ogawa, Kensuke Sasaki
    Top 10 Champions League Workers: Keiji Mutoh (4), Juventud Guerrera (7), Jushin Liger (11), Eddie Guerrero (33), Great Sasuke (36), KENTA (42), Don Fye (44), Masato Tanaka (46), Bryan Danielson (76), CIMA (92)

    We didn't win any award, though.

    Top 10 Matches So Far (including a couple of group stage matches):


  3. #943
    Big Papa's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    14,664
    Rep Power
    274279

    Re: TEW 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    Can you not grab a Sean O'Haire or Mark Jindrak or maybe grab a guy like Edge to slot in the Four Horsemen role?
    O'Haire and Jindrak both debuted in 1999. Edge and Christian are both being signed but just for developmental. They are very raw still at this point. Mongo McMichael has the swagger, but he's absolutely awful in the ring so no desire to bring him back into the group. Curt Hennig was invited in at one point but turned on them and joined the NWO. He could turn back face and join up. That might be the best option TBH.

    I rarely focus on grades. Unless I'm in a national battle where grades will dicate something major - like dropping to Cult - I just want grades that maintain the current size. Growth is a bonus in most cases.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.



  4. #944

    The EC's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,010
    Rep Power
    436453
      Country                    United States

    Re: TEW 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    O'Haire and Jindrak both debuted in 1999. Edge and Christian are both being signed but just for developmental. They are very raw still at this point. Mongo McMichael has the swagger, but he's absolutely awful in the ring so no desire to bring him back into the group. Curt Hennig was invited in at one point but turned on them and joined the NWO. He could turn back face and join up. That might be the best option TBH.

    I rarely focus on grades. Unless I'm in a national battle where grades will dicate something major - like dropping to Cult - I just want grades that maintain the current size. Growth is a bonus in most cases.
    I think you should add Mashiro Chono. Be progressive.

  5. #945
    #GrimLove

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Barrows Mansion, Romsdalen, Norway
    Posts
    7,620
    Rep Power
    641387
      Country                    Norway

    Re: TEW 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    O'Haire and Jindrak both debuted in 1999. Edge and Christian are both being signed but just for developmental. They are very raw still at this point. Mongo McMichael has the swagger, but he's absolutely awful in the ring so no desire to bring him back into the group. Curt Hennig was invited in at one point but turned on them and joined the NWO. He could turn back face and join up. That might be the best option TBH.

    I rarely focus on grades. Unless I'm in a national battle where grades will dicate something major - like dropping to Cult - I just want grades that maintain the current size. Growth is a bonus in most cases.
    I'd say definitely go that route. Curt is easily the best fit out of anybody on the roster for the Horsemen and it can be easily put into a storyline that Hennig is shunned by the nWo and now has to prove his worth to Flair and Arn.

  6. #946
    Big Papa's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    14,664
    Rep Power
    274279

    Re: TEW 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    I think you should add Mashiro Chono. Be progressive.
    That would be amazing. And some interesting cross-promotional storytelling with his role in NWO Japan. But can't get him from New Japan without some significant editing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Barrows View Post
    I'd say definitely go that route. Curt is easily the best fit out of anybody on the roster for the Horsemen and it can be easily put into a storyline that Hennig is shunned by the nWo and now has to prove his worth to Flair and Arn.
    Hennig was my first thought but just trying to see if I can find anything I like better.

    The other option I would really like, for historical connectivity, is Dustin Rhodes. But he's under written deal with the WWF and probably won't be released as he actually was.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.



  7. #947
    #GrimLove

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Barrows Mansion, Romsdalen, Norway
    Posts
    7,620
    Rep Power
    641387
      Country                    Norway

    Re: TEW 2016

    What about DDP?

  8. #948
    No One

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Westeros
    Posts
    12,597
    Rep Power
    588524
      Country                    Canada

    Re: TEW 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    That would be amazing. And some interesting cross-promotional storytelling with his role in NWO Japan. But can't get him from New Japan without some significant editing.



    Hennig was my first thought but just trying to see if I can find anything I like better.

    The other option I would really like, for historical connectivity, is Dustin Rhodes. But he's under written deal with the WWF and probably won't be released as he actually was.
    Throwing some names out there: Alex Wright, Booker T (I know this is left field but I think it can work), Buff Bagwell , Eddie Guerrero, Chris Kanyon, Don Frye (if you can snipe him), Rob Van Dam (if you can snipe him)? Looking at the database there aren't a lot of great options. You really might have to settle for Storm or Hennig

  9. #949
    Big Papa's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    14,664
    Rep Power
    274279

    Re: TEW 2016

    Appreciate the suggestions guys.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Barrows View Post
    What about DDP?
    A good shout in a lot of ways, but I already have some ideas and arcs for DDP. He's going to be more of a "leader for all WCW" type in the takedown of the NWO, a more accessible counterpart to Sting, which will position him for a good run at the top but he won't get a title win for awhile. The idea is to build it up and when he finally wins in in late 1999 or even in 2000, it would be an enormous moment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    Throwing some names out there: Alex Wright, Booker T (I know this is left field but I think it can work), Buff Bagwell , Eddie Guerrero, Chris Kanyon, Don Frye (if you can snipe him), Rob Van Dam (if you can snipe him)? Looking at the database there aren't a lot of great options. You really might have to settle for Storm or Hennig
    All good shouts.... but some of them don't really fit the Horsemen dynamic. Benoit and Malenko are already awkward fits in terms of personality, but at least they are FANTASTIC in ring workers. Eddie and Booker would be interesting options, and I considered Booker really strongly at one point in another project.

    Hennig probably is the best bet, and its not really "settling", at least IMO. He's a great worker, exudes the arrogance one expects of a traditional Horseman, and is great on the mic.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.



  10. #950
    #GrimLove

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Barrows Mansion, Romsdalen, Norway
    Posts
    7,620
    Rep Power
    641387
      Country                    Norway

    Re: TEW 2016

    What about Chris Jericho? I think he would have been absolutely fantastic as a Horseman, sort of in the Pillman role as the annoying member that gets the group into trouble.

  11. #951
    Doubting El Dandy
    Keefmoon's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    545
    Rep Power
    272527

    Re: TEW 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Hennig probably is the best bet, and its not really "settling", at least IMO. He's a great worker, exudes the arrogance one expects of a traditional Horseman, and is great on the mic.
    I can see why you'd go for this. Obviously the problem you have is Hennig already screwed them over once for the nWo, but I'm sure you can work around it. As a cheap Hennig substitute - Rick Martel? I could picture him as a Tully-lite type character. He'd look great in a Horsemen suit, at least!

    I've always liked the idea of Booker being a Horseman. While Benoit and Malenko fit from a workrate point of view, you need a personality to balance it out. It's why I've never hated Mongo. Sure, he's crap in the ring, but his character was a fantastic fit. To counterbalance Benoit and Malenko's lack of personality, you need someone with a strong personality. Someone with confidence and a feeling that they're part of the elite, even when a babyface. That's what the Horsemen was about to me; deserved entitlement.

    Another person I have always been tempted with when playing WCW '97/was considering for my WCW BTB had I progressed 4 years in, was Goldberg. I know he seems like an unlikely fit given what he became, but he had a great look, great charisma, and a sense of being better than everyone else. There have been plenty of non-workrate-but-great-look guys in the Horsemen over the years (Luger, Sid, Mongo, Paul "Greatest Of All Time" Roma), which makes me think rookie Goldberg could do a job. Once he became a thing in his own right obviously it was too late, but while he was busy feuding with Mongo and Hugh Morrus? Why not? Plus it gives you something different to do with him rather than The Streak, which appeals to me as I hate re-doing actual angles wherever possible.

  12. #952
    No One

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Westeros
    Posts
    12,597
    Rep Power
    588524
      Country                    Canada

    Re: TEW 2016

    Finished up the group stage for the Champions League of Wrestling:


    First Preliminary Round:
    KENTA (#78) defeated Shawn Hernandez (#81)
    Ricky Banderas (#80) defeated Nathan Jones (#79)

    Second Preliminary Round:
    KENTA (#78) defeated Ricky Banderas (#80)

    First Qualifying Round:
    KENTA (#78) defeated Dalip Singh (#45)
    Kenny Omega (#77) defeated John Cena (#46)
    El Dandy (#47) defeated Jon Heidenreich (#76)
    Steve Corino (#48) defeated Claudio Castagnoli (#75)
    Super Crazy (#49) defeated Austin Aries (#74)
    Masato Tanaka (#50) defeated Pimpinela Escarlata (#73)
    Samoa Joe (#51) defeated CM Punk (#72)
    Bryan Danielson (#52) defeated Carly Colon (#71)
    Don Frye (#53) defeated Vampiro (#70)
    Nigel McGuinness (#54) defeated Brad Armstrong (#69)
    AJ Styles (#55) defeated Yoshihiro Tajiri (#68)
    CIMA (#56) defeated Kid Kash (#67)
    Halloween (#57) defeated Jerelle Clark (#66)
    Frankie Kazarian (#65) defeated Jack Evans (#58)
    Fergal Devitt (#64) defeated Matt Sydal (#59)
    Paul London (#60) defeated Chris Sabin (#63)
    Brian Kendrick (#62) defeated Teddy Hart (#61)

    Second Qualifying Round:
    KENTA (#78) defeated Randy Savage (#36)
    Kenny Omega (#77) defeated Ricky Morton (#37)
    El Dandy (#47) defeated Robbie Brookside (#38)
    Steve Corino (#48) defeated Robert Gibson (#39)
    Super Crazy (#49) defeated Scott Hall (#40)
    Masato Tanaka (#50) defeated Tito Santana (#41)
    Samoa Joe (#51) defeated Tommy Dreamer (#42)
    Bryan Danielson (#52) defeated Tracy Smothers (#43)
    Don Frye (#53) defeated Tully Blanchard (#44)
    Nigel McGuinness (#54) defeated Brian Kendrick (#62)
    AJ Styles (#55) defeated Paul London (#60)
    Fergal Devitt (#64) defeated CIMA (#56)
    Halloween (#57) defeated Frankie Kazarian (#65)

    Third Qualifying Round:
    KENTA (#78) defeated Bobby Eaton (#29)
    Kenny Omega (#77) defeated Chavo Guerrero Sr. (#30)
    Christopher Daniels (#31) defeated El Dandy (#47)
    Steve Corino (#48) defeated Hector Guerrero (#32)
    Keiji Mutoh (#33) defeated Super Crazy (#49)
    Masato Tanaka (#50) defeated Koko B. Ware (#34)
    Samoa Joe (#51) defeated Pierroth Jr. (#35)
    Bryan Danielson (#52) defeated Halloween (#57)
    Fergal Devitt (#64) defeated Don Frye (#53)
    AJ Styles (#55) defeated Nigel MCGuinness (#54)

    Playoff Round:
    KENTA (#78) defeated Black Terry (#27)
    Kenny Omega (#77) defeated Bob Backlund (#28)
    AJ Styles (#55) defeated Christopher Daniels (#31)
    Steve Corino (#48) defeated Fergal Devitt (#64)
    Keiji Mutoh (#33) defeated Bryan Danielson (#52)
    Samoa Joe (#51) defeated Masato Tanaka (#50)

    Group Stage (Bold = #1, Italic = #2):
    Group A: Warrior (15), Don Harris, The Barbarian (6), AJ Styles (15)
    Group B: Jeff Jarrett (13), Marc Mero (9), Great Sasuke (13), Barry Windham
    Group C: Curt Hennig (18), Ernest Miller (3), Hector Garza (6), Steve Corino (9)
    Group D: Dustin Rhodes (9), Konnan, Eddie Guerrero (18), KENTA (9)
    Group E: Jake Roberts (3), Rob Van Dam (18), Juventud Guerrera (9), Samoa Joe (6)
    Group F: Terry Funk (7), Ron Harris (1), Norman Smiley (12), Kenny Omega (15)
    Group G: BG James (12), D’Lo Brown (15), Road Warrior Animal (9), Bill Dundee
    Group H: Shane Douglas (9), Glenn Gilberti (3), Jushin Liger (13), Keiji Mutoh (10)


    Comments: Got through an interesting group stage with a lot of mixed results. In the case of ties in points, I gave the worker with the higher seed the entry instead (unless they had lost the head to heads). Warrior got lucky in being in a group with mediocre Harris & Barbarian so he only dropped points to AJ Styles. Hector Garza got somewhat unlucky but he's really talented and should probably go further next season. KENTA obviously is extremely talented and I had a hard time siding with Dustin to go through since KENTA has been there since round #1. Samoa Joe didn't get to wrestle his last match against Jake Roberts since Roberts quit. Joe also got hurt by being fatigued because otherwise he probably would've made it over Guerrera. Omega tore his group apart, only losing his first match against Funk. Group G was pretty underwhelming. Douglas falls just short of the two talented Japanese legends. I basically paid off any worker with bad morale to ensure they weren't hurt much by it but forgot to for Jake Roberts.

    First Knockout Round:
    Warrior (#1) vs. Juventud Guerrera (#22)
    Jeff Jarrett (#2) vs. Norman Smiley (#17)
    Curt Hennig (#3) vs. AJ Styles (#55)
    Eddie Guerrero (#24) vs. Keiji Mutoh (#33)
    Rob Van Dam (#10) vs. BG James (#7)
    Kenny Omega (#77) vs. Steve Corino (#48)
    D’Lo Brown (#14) vs. Dustin Rhodes (#4)
    Jushin Liger (#19) vs. Great Sasuke (#21)

    Kenny Omega is the lowest seed remaining at #77 meanwhile the highest seed eliminated is #5 Jake Roberts. Match-ups were randomized with 1st facing off with 2nd.

    Top 10 Matches with a couple of spoilers for First Knockout match-ups.


  13. #953
    Big Papa's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    14,664
    Rep Power
    274279

    Re: TEW 2016

    So I booked an entire single show last night. First Nitro in the books. Got a B but its pretty easy booking. The product and the popularity of the roster makes strong grades a snap. Which is what I figured, given that the AI does quite well.

    The in-game product and the presentation that WCW actually used for its shows back in 1997 both push me away from my default booking style a bit. Its not just that its angle-heavier than I typically do, but also the types of angles. I quite often avoid using minor angles, which is really just laziness more than anything. I don't necessarily mean longer segments that just aren't meant to have any meaning and therefore don't really impact the show grade, but short moments that happen outside of a match. A worker offering a handshake after a match and the defeated opponent refusing, or focusing on workers at ringside for a couple of minutes while the announcers talk about them... things along those lines. I think I never bothered with them much because in older versions of TEW you had to create actual angles for that and sometimes they were one-use, but being able to create angles on the fly makes it pretty easy.

    The interesting thing is that hte next time I do a WCW Lives save, whenever that is, I will likely book them more like this. So it will more directly resemble how WCW was thru the late 90s and start of the 00s, as opposed to immediately changing the product to something that is more my direct wheelhouse. Not that there is anything wrong with the latter, but maintaining some stylistic continuity has its upsides too.

    Noticed something last night I had previously overlooked.... Bret Hart is set as a heel. I thought he was a babyface initially. This will alter my plans for him a bit. But just a bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Barrows View Post
    What about Chris Jericho? I think he would have been absolutely fantastic as a Horseman, sort of in the Pillman role as the annoying member that gets the group into trouble.
    Mentioned Jericho a page back, I think. He ticks all the boxes. Only reason I'm not wanting to is that I have a different road planned for him. Down the road, he could make a fun member. Or he might get a stable of his own.

    Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    I can see why you'd go for this. Obviously the problem you have is Hennig already screwed them over once for the nWo, but I'm sure you can work around it. As a cheap Hennig substitute - Rick Martel? I could picture him as a Tully-lite type character. He'd look great in a Horsemen suit, at least!

    I've always liked the idea of Booker being a Horseman. While Benoit and Malenko fit from a workrate point of view, you need a personality to balance it out. It's why I've never hated Mongo. Sure, he's crap in the ring, but his character was a fantastic fit. To counterbalance Benoit and Malenko's lack of personality, you need someone with a strong personality. Someone with confidence and a feeling that they're part of the elite, even when a babyface. That's what the Horsemen was about to me; deserved entitlement.

    Another person I have always been tempted with when playing WCW '97/was considering for my WCW BTB had I progressed 4 years in, was Goldberg. I know he seems like an unlikely fit given what he became, but he had a great look, great charisma, and a sense of being better than everyone else. There have been plenty of non-workrate-but-great-look guys in the Horsemen over the years (Luger, Sid, Mongo, Paul "Greatest Of All Time" Roma), which makes me think rookie Goldberg could do a job. Once he became a thing in his own right obviously it was too late, but while he was busy feuding with Mongo and Hugh Morrus? Why not? Plus it gives you something different to do with him rather than The Streak, which appeals to me as I hate re-doing actual angles wherever possible.
    Ironic that as I type this, I'm listening to music (and watching footie, and playing FM) and Four Horsemen by Metallica came on the shuffle.

    The first "induction" of Hennig into the Horsemen is a significant issue and cause for hesitation. I think it would take a pretty notable redemption arc to make it work. I have an idea in mind but just not sure its the best way to go. It also might not time out ideally.

    I completely agree that Mongo fits on the personality side. His arrogance, even when he's a babyface, his athleticism, and his background. They all fit in nicely with the Horsemen aesthetic. I just always found him really poor in the ring. I think the dislike stems partly from how bad he was on commentary too.

    Booker is a guy that is a bit like Jericho - he fits all the way around, but I had another path in mind for him. But it does bear some additional consideration.

    Funny you mention Goldberg and moving away the Streak. I was mulling this last night. I generally try to mix up real storylines/arcs and some new ones. So I'm not against using the Streak gimmick, but it very obviously needs a better way to be ended than what was actually done.

    Gonna do some more mulling on the Horsemen. Could even move away from doing an actual Horsemen and do a "rip off" stable instead. I have a few months in-save before it happens regardless.

    Thanks again for the ideas and suggestions, gents!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    Finished up the group stage for the Champions League of Wrestling:
    Starting to get some nice match grades.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.



  14. #954
    Big Papa's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    14,664
    Rep Power
    274279

    Re: TEW 2016

    Booked a couple more shows. The size of the roster is going to be the big concern going forward. I've gotten rid of a couple workers, marked a few more for release somewhere not too far down the road, and stashed a couple in development. And I am still very nearly double the recommended roster size. I knew that coming in, but I figured there was a bit more chaff I could and would get rid of.

    The upside is that there is a lot of overness on the roster and that makes booking the top of the shows pretty easy. I don't have to limit myself to 3-4 workers who have the skills and popularity to carry a main event. There are loads on the roster. And it shouldn't be that hard to turn the likes of Benoit and Eddie G into full-blown main eventers. Just not looking to rush that overmuch as there isn't an immediate need.

    Using the Meddle function to build some new positive relationships and get rid of some negative ones. I haven't tried to get two existing friends to break up yet but may try that at some point.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.



  15. #955
    Big Papa's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    14,664
    Rep Power
    274279

    Re: TEW 2016

    Into Week 4 of December 1997. Done Nitro. Still have do the B show, which actually takes almost as long as booking Nitro since its 2 hours as well. Then its Starracade.

    As I've mentioned, my Starrade is going to end up being probably 80% close to what actually happened at that Starrcade. But with a proper ending to the main event instead of the cluster-fuck shithousery they actually did. Although Hogan is at A* popularity and Sting is only at A, so there is a chance that Hogan blocks the loss with his creative control and I have to pull something anyway.

    Some interesting feature announcements for TEW 2020 in the past copule of days. The changes to adding free pics is a huge one for me as I've literally added thousands of free pics across a few different mods and it is not a slick process as it exists. I also really like the idea of Experience being a stat and impacting things. Oldheads need work too!
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.



  16. #956
    No One

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Westeros
    Posts
    12,597
    Rep Power
    588524
      Country                    Canada

    Re: TEW 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Into Week 4 of December 1997. Done Nitro. Still have do the B show, which actually takes almost as long as booking Nitro since its 2 hours as well. Then its Starracade.

    As I've mentioned, my Starrade is going to end up being probably 80% close to what actually happened at that Starrcade. But with a proper ending to the main event instead of the cluster-fuck shithousery they actually did. Although Hogan is at A* popularity and Sting is only at A, so there is a chance that Hogan blocks the loss with his creative control and I have to pull something anyway.

    Some interesting feature announcements for TEW 2020 in the past copule of days. The changes to adding free pics is a huge one for me as I've literally added thousands of free pics across a few different mods and it is not a slick process as it exists. I also really like the idea of Experience being a stat and impacting things. Oldheads need work too!
    Would you be hurt that much by a Keep Strong victory for Sting?

    I usually keep oldheads until they retire tbh so this probably doesn't effect me much aside from maybe keeping oldheads from being outright jobbers for a longer time?

  17. #957
    Big Papa's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    14,664
    Rep Power
    274279

    Re: TEW 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    Would you be hurt that much by a Keep Strong victory for Sting?

    I usually keep oldheads until they retire tbh so this probably doesn't effect me much aside from maybe keeping oldheads from being outright jobbers for a longer time?
    There are definitely some road agent notes that I will try to use if Hogan won't straight up lose. Worst case scenario is having Hogan "win" and then do the switch in another manner. Can't say I'm overly concerned about it but would be ironic if part of the intent of the save was to "correct" some things that WCW screwed up and the personalities are so accurate that I have to enact some fuckery to make it work even in the game.

    Not overly worried about the grade. The company is popularity based, both are very popular, with high momentum and a hot storyline. I think the grade will be just fine, even if the road agent notes take away from it a bit.

    I don't automatically get rid of oldheads. It varies dependent on the save. but it sure seems like they don't quite have the value that they should to a lot of gamers. The same is true of FM. Younger workers are new and shiny and appealing to build up. I just like that it gives another reason to keep those 45-year old vets on the roster and being used.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.



  18. #958
    No One

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Westeros
    Posts
    12,597
    Rep Power
    588524
      Country                    Canada

    Re: TEW 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    There are definitely some road agent notes that I will try to use if Hogan won't straight up lose. Worst case scenario is having Hogan "win" and then do the switch in another manner. Can't say I'm overly concerned about it but would be ironic if part of the intent of the save was to "correct" some things that WCW screwed up and the personalities are so accurate that I have to enact some fuckery to make it work even in the game.

    Not overly worried about the grade. The company is popularity based, both are very popular, with high momentum and a hot storyline. I think the grade will be just fine, even if the road agent notes take away from it a bit.

    I don't automatically get rid of oldheads. It varies dependent on the save. but it sure seems like they don't quite have the value that they should to a lot of gamers. The same is true of FM. Younger workers are new and shiny and appealing to build up. I just like that it gives another reason to keep those 45-year old vets on the roster and being used.
    Unless I get attached, you're basically gone by 26 years old on FM and I only buy U23 players. Even 22-23 I'm a tad reluctant. I haven't had enough of a long term TEW game where I have to deal with my main eventers really aging but hopefully thats something I can experience with WCW.

  19. #959
    Big Papa's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    14,664
    Rep Power
    274279

    Re: TEW 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    Unless I get attached, you're basically gone by 26 years old on FM and I only buy U23 players. Even 22-23 I'm a tad reluctant. I haven't had enough of a long term TEW game where I have to deal with my main eventers really aging but hopefully thats something I can experience with WCW.
    I think that kind of ruthlessness with older players is more common than not in FM. Honestly, a player who was over 30 was dead to me unless they had significant mentoring value. Managing in South America started to change that approach for me. I still tend to be leery of older players and I don't go out of my way to replace retiring oldhead with another as much as I should. I just see the physical attributes starting to fall and don't want to play them.... but honestly, the impact of that varies and I've gotten consistent strong performances out of central defenders with like 5 pace when they are playing in a high line, partly because the rest of the attributes are good and partly because there aren't as many really pacey attackers as there would be in England, for example.

    In TEW, its really dependent on the level of Time Decline, the product, and the options you have. Sometimes you just have to accept it and eat the impact it has on grades. Others, you can move them down the roster and find other uses.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •