Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast

Thread: TEW 2016

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: TEW 2016

2nd PPV for CGC is in the books. Had to keep strong Jack DeColt because he had creative control and didn't want to lose the belt. Unfortunately, I also ran out of show time so I'll have to stretch out the shows longer.

I'm really tempted to do a brand split already so I don't feel obligated to stretch out storylines too much on each show. The 2-Day DeColt WrestleFestival would be the perfect spot to do that but I probably won't.

Anyways, all hail Gargantuan.

I'm trying to push the monsters like Henry/Colossus/Stash/Goto/Sozen/Silencer/Bouncer over the standard fare workrate guys like Kirk Jameson but those guys just perform straight up so it's hard to look over them.

Obviously a roster shift happening with a lot of guys sort of being de-pushed. Ryan Powell, Dan DaLay, Brett Frasier, Bobby Thomas, Nathan Black, Dirty White Boys, Destiny / Fare are just a few of many guys I'd like to descend down the ladder.

Cruiserweight tournament starting. Kirk & Fro Sure are middleweights but as toned/skinny guys I think they can fit in. We've got 12 other lightweights on the roster. Going to bring in Greg Black and Frankie Perez to complete the bracket. Antonio Del Veccio vs. Masked Cougar is my probable finals.

Got a tad too many heels at the moment so turned Joey Poison face. Send Prometheus down to development. Conceded he's just too far from what we need skillwise and I don't want to have to job him out for a year or two until he gets decent.

Status
      Country                    United States

Well the first PPV of "The New" WCW is in the books. Here's a look at how Adrenaline went down:

Pretty damn large shows. Truthfully several of the matches such as Rhodes vs. Finlay, Van Dam vs. Awesome and Tajiri vs. Guerrero really had no backstory but were more or less used as angles to push different storylines I'm trying to lay the foundation for.

Thus far, the only real storylines that have been set into motion are the World Title Feud, a developing feud between Jarrett and Bagwell, a feud with D'Lo and Stasiak and one between Douglas and RVD.

The World Title feud began on the first Nitro back when Dusty ordered a 20 man battle royal to decide who would get the first crack at Book. Kanyon won, but Page contested that he and Kanyon hit the floor at the same time. Upon further review, it turned out Page was right, and technically the ending was a draw. Therefore, Dusty ordered a singles match between then a couple weeks later which would settle who got the shot. It did not. The two of them had an out of control brawl that resulted in a double count out, so Booker came out to declare that he'd be happy to take on both men in a triple threat match.

As for Jarrett and Bagwell, they're banding together as the final two members of the Magnificent Seven, and have made a pact to help one another reach the finals of the 16 man US Title tournament (vacated by Booker). So far, so good on that front but I'm going to have Buff fail to help Jarrett past the semis, which leads to Jarrett costing Buff his match in the finals and doing a whole "you couldn't hold up your end of the bargain slap nuts" routine. Only problem is Buff can't stay off the stuff so I'm going to have to make a decision to either fire him or send him to rehab (more likely) if he can't manage to wrestling one match clean.

The feud with D'Lo and Stasiak began on the first Nitro when D'Lo tosses Stasiak from the battle royal. Stasiak retaliated by pulling D'Lo out and ruining his chances at winning. They then had a brawl on the floor which D'Lo got the better of, and now the angle I'm running with is basically that Stasiak feels disrespected and doesn't believe D'Lo is of the same calibre, though he can't quite get one over on D'Lo. Here at Adrenaline, he defeated D'Lo with the help of Stacy but things are not settled between the two of them yet.

The thing with RVD is basically just that he's not welcome in WCW. Douglas feels like guys coming over from ECW have no place in what he believes is now "his" company. He's kind of going to be working an angle of resenting RVD for taking ECW from him, and he doesn't want the same to happen here. RVD in general is just going to have a hard time making any allies, while Douglas is going to recruit The FBI as his muscle. My tenuous plan is for Sabu to debut down the line and ultimately be the equalizer for RVD.

Some other things that are beginning to unfold are Mark Jindrak taking on a persona similar to his "Reflection of Perfection" days where he is promising to give WCW a much needed makeover. His first target is "fat slob" Hugh Morrus who he thinks makes WCW look bad. I'm also working a frustrated gimmick with Chavo where he wants to rise to the main event finally, but he continually loses, so he's going to turn face and basically beg Konnan to align with him, thinking that he can learn from Konnan how to reach the top, though Konnan is reluctant to do so. Purgatory (my new name for Palumbo and O'Haire) are going to get into a war with Team Canada who have added Elix Skipper back into the fold, but will for sure break up over time as Mike Awesome will become one of the top guys in his own respect. For the Cruiserweight Title, right now I'm working on building up Helms. Karagias pinned Moore in a triple threat despite the fact they were supposed to be allies which is causing a rift there. Kidman is on Helms' side and since he helped out Helms when he was attacked by Moore and Karagias, Helms is going to give him a shot at the gold in the near future. I also have some plans to have KroniK carry out a hit on Dustin Rhodes, though it's a mystery who ordered the hit. The man who did so is going to make his debut after a good little while of speculation.

As for changes I've made, of course I already mentioned the changed PPV schedule. I also opened a development company, Total Championship Wrestling, and have a stupid talented roster of guys down there being groomed by Ricky Steamboat. I've added several guys including Tajiri, Kid Kash, Chris Chetti, Joey Matthews, Christian York and Big Vito to the main roster to round things out. I haven't cut anyone, made any new broadcasting deals or started any relationships with other companies (though I plan to) yet.

So yeah, that's where I'm at so far.

Status

@Jon - so is CGC on hold, or just done?

Its a fun save and I'll probably tackle it at some point. Don't de-push Dan DeLay too much - unless he's declining heavily, keep him decent so you can tag him with his kid when he comes thru

@EC - can't see the pics at work but will look later. Sounds fun so far. Brave man keeping Buff Bagwell on the roster - he is almost always a quick cut for me when he tests positive for something, especially as his bad habits impact his matches. Do like the sound of what you have going on - like I've said, its a favorite period and its great to see how others book things.

I'm still toying with WCW 1997. Well, December 1997 so practically 1998. Experimented a bit over the weekend, just figuring out certain things. Simply chopping some of the negative personalities is going to be an issue, even if its for an incident. There are huge amount of positive and negative relationships. Realistic, but something to work around. Although I typically play as the actual owner (Ted Turner) or booker (Eric Bischoff), I don't really WANT to use Bischoff as my user character. He also starts with tension or dislike with significant workers. I fired him to try that.... made about 8 guys happy and about the same number angry. Which I can then turn around and make happy with bonuses, but that is gonna start costing a lot, especially when its a lot of the most highly-paid guys. So one thing I might end up doing that I haven't really tried before is negative meddling. I've used positive meddling to create positive relationships a ton, linking a lot of my positive influences together. so if de-link a few of my negative influences, it actually hurt my backstage in the short term, but means that less people have a negative reaction when someone gets gone. I don't intend to get rid of everyone negative. I don't intend to just tear down the roster. But a gradual transition while managing the negativity would be necessary.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

No One

Status

For real world companies I think I tend to be more interested in seeing how the game has shaped up a year or two down the line where you've got the chance to really settle the roster to your liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    @Jon - so is CGC on hold, or just done?

Its a fun save and I'll probably tackle it at some point. Don't de-push Dan DeLay too much - unless he's declining heavily, keep him decent so you can tag him with his kid when he comes thru
    Robin DaLay starts off horribly enough that a de-pushed Dan is fine because neither are in any condition to team up for tag title contention. Robin is probably jobber material for a year or two and that's if he doesn't stay seasoning in development instead. If Dan opts against retiring until his son is competent that'll be cool and they can get a brief reign maybe.

Continuing with the CGC game. Building up to the WrestleFestival where we'll bring in a ton of guest wrestlers from our allies.

Pretty sure Lead Belly & Grease Hogg are going to enter jobber status. Little appeal to them. They've challenged for the belts and aren't any better than mediocre Black/Technique so they'll slide down the pecking order and be regular jobbers.

Jobbers are: Destiny/Fate, Belly/Hogg, Bobby Thomas, Brett Frasier. Some guys like Powell, Nelson, DaLay, Black are bound to eventually join those ranks.

Status

I actually found Belly n Hogg reasonably useful. Their Menace generated easy momentum and I just bled that off to other workers. But yeah, they aren't the most appealing workers or characters.

I've said this before, but CGC are a nice size of company to run in a lot of ways. Popular enough to make money, be able to offer Written deals, and with enough popular workers that getting good grades isn't that challenging. Always going to have a soft spot for them as they were the first Cverse company I got into.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

No One

Status

I actually found Belly n Hogg reasonably useful. Their Menace generated easy momentum and I just bled that off to other workers. But yeah, they aren't the most appealing workers or characters.

I've said this before, but CGC are a nice size of company to run in a lot of ways. Popular enough to make money, be able to offer Written deals, and with enough popular workers that getting good grades isn't that challenging. Always going to have a soft spot for them as they were the first Cverse company I got into.
    I signed a ton of menace workers that are somewhat mediocre but definitely younger and probably better than DWB in the long term (Bouncer/Silencer/Stash/Mort/Henry) and I can always bring in Farraday/Smith if I really need a top tier menace tag team.

CGC's one awkward bit is growth because the Canadian network system isn't the greatest. I think I'll end up having to either get on PPV4U and slowly grow through that in the states or have to do the UK Broadcasting one until it helps my pop enough to get on better american networks but that would mean losing a lot of commercial money for a while. There's a slump waiting somewhere there financially.

Status

Moving the DWB down makes sense with new additions who fill the roles better. Honestly, there isn't a shortage of mediocre or better menacing workers in the Cverse. Or any kind of talent, except maybe the ladies.

Did you end up opening a developmental company? If so, details? I'm always curious what other people go with. Especially other Canadians.

Was thinking I might get the WCW 1997 save rolling last night. And I thought wrong. Just making sure that some future workers are in there, but trying not to get too caught up on distant-future talent. Most can just be imported over from the 2K1 mod if they are missing, so its pretty painless. Ironically, I'm pretty sure some future workers from my version of 2K1 ended up in the Mod Squad 2K1 and the 1997 Montreal Aftermath mods, as I shared it with a couple of the guys who were dealing mostly with those mods. Don't know if they ended up in the early 90s mods or not.

Sorting out the backstage is the first priority. I can get the backstage up to almost 80% just by adding all the possible backstage perks but I imagine that is a notable financial hit. Its pretty vital to make the unhappy workers happy ASAP. There is at least a dozen. Most are annoyed but a few are angry. You can turn that frown upside down by giving them a bonus, and it usually takes about what they earn per month. But if they are angry, it seems like you have to do it twice. As its some popular workers, that adds up. I didn't do it with Roddy Piper - who was angry, not just annoyed - and he turned in his notice. Yikes. I guess that's a way to get rid of a few of the workers I don't want to keep, but honestly, most of the upset workers are ones worth keeping.

In test saves, both WWF and WCW make significant money but WWF seems to make more. About 2 years in, WWF had something like $85m in the bank and WCW had about $60m. It also looks like WCW lose some talent to WWF. Guys like The Giant / Big Show and Benoit. Jericho leaves but typically ends up elsewhere. I wonder if that's partly down to having negative relationships with Bischoff, who would be booker still, or the WWF bidding more. I'll find out if I can take the save that far (setup for sad remark from Jon)

So Togg (a TEW graphics guru) has a WCW Lives BTB on the GDS forum, and he has some AMAZING graphics (go figure). Was reading thru it and its a good reminder of how much the roster changes from start of 1998 to early 2001. Can't say it really tempted me to go that direction instead. Being able to build up Jericho, Giant, DDP, Goldberg, Booker, etc, is part of what appeals here. As well as signing and building up Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

No One

Status

Moving the DWB down makes sense with new additions who fill the roles better. Honestly, there isn't a shortage of mediocre or better menacing workers in the Cverse. Or any kind of talent, except maybe the ladies.

Did you end up opening a developmental company? If so, details? I'm always curious what other people go with. Especially other Canadians.

Was thinking I might get the WCW 1997 save rolling last night. And I thought wrong. Just making sure that some future workers are in there, but trying not to get too caught up on distant-future talent. Most can just be imported over from the 2K1 mod if they are missing, so its pretty painless. Ironically, I'm pretty sure some future workers from my version of 2K1 ended up in the Mod Squad 2K1 and the 1997 Montreal Aftermath mods, as I shared it with a couple of the guys who were dealing mostly with those mods. Don't know if they ended up in the early 90s mods or not.

Sorting out the backstage is the first priority. I can get the backstage up to almost 80% just by adding all the possible backstage perks but I imagine that is a notable financial hit. Its pretty vital to make the unhappy workers happy ASAP. There is at least a dozen. Most are annoyed but a few are angry. You can turn that frown upside down by giving them a bonus, and it usually takes about what they earn per month. But if they are angry, it seems like you have to do it twice. As its some popular workers, that adds up. I didn't do it with Roddy Piper - who was angry, not just annoyed - and he turned in his notice. Yikes. I guess that's a way to get rid of a few of the workers I don't want to keep, but honestly, most of the upset workers are ones worth keeping.

In test saves, both WWF and WCW make significant money but WWF seems to make more. About 2 years in, WWF had something like $85m in the bank and WCW had about $60m. It also looks like WCW lose some talent to WWF. Guys like The Giant / Big Show and Benoit. Jericho leaves but typically ends up elsewhere. I wonder if that's partly down to having negative relationships with Bischoff, who would be booker still, or the WWF bidding more. I'll find out if I can take the save that far (setup for sad remark from Jon)

So Togg (a TEW graphics guru) has a WCW Lives BTB on the GDS forum, and he has some AMAZING graphics (go figure). Was reading thru it and its a good reminder of how much the roster changes from start of 1998 to early 2001. Can't say it really tempted me to go that direction instead. Being able to build up Jericho, Giant, DDP, Goldberg, Booker, etc, is part of what appeals here. As well as signing and building up Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar.
    I actually forgot to remove a RTG development company I had added into CVerse that was in Tri-State so I just bought it a month in since it was in the negatives and it's now my dev. I'll probably go gung ho with devs as companies start dying out and I get a network to showcase them all in.

I signed Mark Griffin to the company since NOTBPW decided against bringing him in. He'll slot in as an upper midcarder probably which should freshen things up. Think I've got a ton of guys lined up to challenge Gargantuan over the next year after Ricky DeColt & Jack DeColt get through their challenges: Christian Price, Greg Black, Joey Poison, Zeus Maximillion, Donte Dunn, Mark Griffin and thats not counting possible multi-man matches I could do and new signings that might pop up.

If WCW is going to reach 60M then I'm not sure where the hesitation is on just paying the angry workers. You'll recoup the money back ASAP and at that profitability, finance is probably trivial in terms of poaching guys or staying profitable. I can't see any national company struggling financially so just pay the boys.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    I actually forgot to remove a RTG development company I had added into CVerse that was in Tri-State so I just bought it a month in since it was in the negatives and it's now my dev. I'll probably go gung ho with devs as companies start dying out and I get a network to showcase them all in.

I signed Mark Griffin to the company since NOTBPW decided against bringing him in. He'll slot in as an upper midcarder probably which should freshen things up. Think I've got a ton of guys lined up to challenge Gargantuan over the next year after Ricky DeColt & Jack DeColt get through their challenges: Christian Price, Greg Black, Joey Poison, Zeus Maximillion, Donte Dunn, Mark Griffin and thats not counting possible multi-man matches I could do and new signings that might pop up.

If WCW is going to reach 60M then I'm not sure where the hesitation is on just paying the angry workers. You'll recoup the money back ASAP and at that profitability, finance is probably trivial in terms of poaching guys or staying profitable. I can't see any national company struggling financially so just pay the boys.
    Griffin is a good get. Tends to turn into a REALLY good worker with North of the Border.

Oh, the cost isn't that concerning in a direct sense. WCW starts with $25 million in the bank. I just don't to go overboard and overspend on stuff. The roster is big and needs a culling - release guys costs money (hence why them deciding to quit is better). I want to open a developmental and while my default for that is to do so at the smallest possible size, I might do one at a bit bigger size, which means it costs more. And I am still toying with opening a network, although the main purpose it would serve for the first while is giving airtime to the child company and maybe an additional B show.... so it probably makes more sense to wait until I can open something bigger and wider. So the only concern is throwing chunks of money at too many things in a short period of time, eating away at the starting money. The company will still be profitable after that, but its more about wanting to be careful.

If memory serves, WCW starts with $25m in the bank and WWF starts with $10m. So the WWF ending up with a good bit more money in the bank is actually an even bigger gap. I'm not concerned so much as curious why the difference. WCW being locked into using the Time Warner PPV broadcaster, which is small in size in foreign markets, might be a big part. If the WWF can land Medium or Big PPV broadcasters in other regions, that means more income. WCW also has two workers with huge contracts - Hogan and Hart are both on $200K per month. Even when the WWF has to resign a worker with A* popularity like Rock or Austin, I'm not sure it takes that big of a wage. I think that a deal for that level of popularity would be in the $50K-$70K per month range. Makes Hogan and Hart outliers based on their huge real deals, but finances in TEW don't scale quite to reality on an even basis. If someone was able to find the actual contracted amounts that workers made in that era and used that for every contract, it would actually unbalance things as the income streams don't scale to match. But not tempted to adjust those contracts, especially as the intent is to let Hogan go when his deal expires.

Going to end up raiding both ECW and OMAGA (the Hardy Boys company) for talent, most of which will go into developmental. I'm just curious if it help or hurt the survival of those two. OMEGA dies very quickly, but ECW usually dies sometime in around 1999 or 2000, which is probably realistic based on their real life debts.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

No One

Status

I almost started a Champions League-format tournament for a company and that'd basically be all it would be. Just a ton of wrestlers competing in a Champions League-formatted tournament with a Europa League / Europa League 2 / Youth League / Womens League added eventually. I stopped just short of starting it though because I realized it'd drive me to abandon CGC.

I'm in an awkward spot with CGC. I added a 2nd A show for the sake of growing the company a tad faster but now the road to PPVs just feels further on and the TV shows just don't matter after like one or two... maybe three episodes to build up and set up the PPV matches. So the shows just feel tedious to try and get through. The obvious solution is either A) PPVs after every 4 shows or B) Brand split so that I'm restricting storylines to just four episodes worth of build. The PPV solution is more lucrative but the brand split appeals more because I do have a huge roster already so the lower guys could use the brand split spotlight. Made no progress with it yesterday and not sure I'll make any tonight.

#GrimLove

Status
      Country                    Norway

I almost started a Champions League-format tournament for a company and that'd basically be all it would be. Just a ton of wrestlers competing in a Champions League-formatted tournament with a Europa League / Europa League 2 / Youth League / Womens League added eventually. I stopped just short of starting it though because I realized it'd drive me to abandon CGC.

I'm in an awkward spot with CGC. I added a 2nd A show for the sake of growing the company a tad faster but now the road to PPVs just feels further on and the TV shows just don't matter after like one or two... maybe three episodes to build up and set up the PPV matches. So the shows just feel tedious to try and get through. The obvious solution is either A) PPVs after every 4 shows or B) Brand split so that I'm restricting storylines to just four episodes worth of build. The PPV solution is more lucrative but the brand split appeals more because I do have a huge roster already so the lower guys could use the brand split spotlight. Made no progress with it yesterday and not sure I'll make any tonight.
    Why not do both? Have brand-split PPV's of a sort?

No One

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Barrows View Post
    Why not do both? Have brand-split PPV's of a sort?
    That's a possibility. I'll continue pondering the game. Reading about other CGC games on GDS should help motivate me a tad.

IN THE MEANWHILE...

Went ahead with my silly little Champions League of Wrestling idea. First year will only have a Champions League style tournament, second year will add a Europa League style, third year Europa League 2, fourth year Youth League, fifth year Womens League. Opened a Cult/Easy company with Mark Cuban in the USA, signed 81 guys of whoever was available. The roster is filled with a ton of indy cruiser workrates and older semi-active wrestlers/castaway jobbers & midcarders. Since I sorted the roster by who was signed first and since I signed the most popular available workers first, they're mostly entering later in the tournament during the group stage for the most part.

In terms of workers getting signed away or being unavailable, they'll be replaced with the worker with the best all-time record that is currently eliminated from a tournament. Results are decided based on the last performance of the workers so obviously workrate dudes are going to be kings of the show. Wrestlers face each other in two Best 2 Out of 3 Falls matches (except for the finals)

First Preliminary Round:
    KENTA (#78)
    defeated Shawn Hernandez (#81)
    Ricky Banderas (#80) defeated Nathan Jones (#79)

Second Preliminary Round:
    KENTA (#78) defeated Ricky Banderas (#80)

First Qualifying Round:
    KENTA (#78) vs. Dalip Singh (#45)
    Kenny Omega (#77) defeated John Cena (#46)
    El Dandy (#47) defeated Jon Heidenreich (#76)
    Steve Corino (#48) defeated Claudio Castagnoli (#75)
    Super Crazy (#49) defeated Austin Aries (#74)
    Masato Tanaka (#50) defeated Pimpinela Escarlata (#73)
    Samoa Joe (#51) defeated CM Punk (#72)
    Bryan Danielson (#52) defeated Carly Colon (#71)
    Don Frye (#53) defeated Vampiro (#70)
    Nigel McGuinness (#54) defeated Brad Armstrong (#69)
    AJ Styles (#55) defeated Yoshihiro Tajiri (#68)
    CIMA (#56) defeated Kid Kash (#67)
    Jerelle Clark (#66) vs. Halloween
    Frankie Kazarian (#65) vs. Jack Evans
    Fergal Devitt (#64) vs. Matt Sydal
    Chris Sabin (#63) vs. Paul London
    Brian Kendrick (#62) vs. Teddy Hart

Aside from Kenny Omega defeating John Cena, there aren't any real upset so far. The crowd probably looks really great on paper but only 6 of the people in the First Qualifying Round will make it to the group stage that's filled with veterans. CM Punk vs. Samoa Joe happening so early was also a complete fluke.

The sorting for future tournaments will be depending on all-time records in the company and board of directors discretion (mostly with regards to new signings who are really popular).

Right now Samoa Joe is looking like a favorite to win the whole tournament but that depends on how the group stage veterans will perform.

Top 10 Matches of the tournament so far:

The rest of tournament competitors in order of seed... in bold are the guys who are automatically into group stage. Everyone else will have to compete through playoff rounds to be one of the last 6 getting into group stage. Yeah, it's a retirement home workrate gonna take a dip probably.

Spoiler:

1. Ultimate Warrior
    2. Jeff Jarrett
    3. Curt Hennig
    4. Dustin Rhodes
    5. Jake Roberts
    6. Terry Funk
    7. BG James
    8. Shane Douglas
    9. Ernest Miller
    10. Rob Van Dam
    11. Konnan
    12. Glenn Gilberti
    13. Marc Mero
    14. D’Lo Brown
    15. Don Harris
    16. Ron Harris
    17. Norman Smiley
    18. The Barbarian
    19. Jerry Sags
    20. Jushin Liger
    21. Hector Garza
    22. Great Sasuke
    23. Juventud Guerrera
    24. Ultimo Dragon
    25. Barry Horrowitz
    26. Barry Windham
    27. Bill Dundee
    28. Black Terry
    29. Bob Backlund
    30. Bobby Eaton
    31. Chavo Guerrero Sr.
    32. Christopher Daniels
    33. Hector Guerrero
    34. Keiji Mutoh
    35. Pierroth Jr.
    36. Randy Savage
    37. Ricky Morton
    38. Robbie Brookside
    39. Robert Gibson
    40. Scott Hall
    41. Tito Santana
    42. Tommy Dreamer
    43. Tracy Smothers
    44. Tully Blanchard

#GrimLove

Status
      Country                    Norway

I'm just imagining a slim Cornette using his new slimness to show that even as a manager, he's better than the rest because he "cares" about his body too.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Barrows View Post

I'm just imagining a slim Cornette using his new slimness to show that even as a manager, he's better than the rest because he "cares" about his body too.
    I could see a young Cornette coming out in a 80s country club tennis attire, with short shorts and a polo shirt. Maybe a visor.

Status

Svelte, swaggering Jim Cornette is delightful.

The Champions League promotion is interesting. I find it fun how you can put together these ideas adapting non-wrestling mechanics into wrestling, Jon. Not something I've ever been able to do to any real extent.

As for CGC, if you haven't abandoned it yet, a brand split would work. But your conundrum is exactly why I try to limit my hires lol

Started up with WCW 1997 last night. Handed out bonuses like candy to unhappy workers. Opened a developmental territory - almost went with Southpaw Regional but ended up opening Outlaw Championship Wrestling in North Carolina for a bit of synchronicity. I didn't open it at the smallest possible size as I normally do, but one or two steps up. Could have spent more and gone bigger, but don't want to go overkill. So far, I've only signed Edge, Christian, Jamie Noble, D-Von & Bubba Ray, and Steve Corino. Will probably add in Ron Killings, Gregory Helms, Christian York, Joey Matthews, Christopher Daniels, James Storm, Chris Harris, and a few others. As workers debut, especially as some guys come thru the Power Plant, it will fill up more. Will probably look to add a solid veteran or two and will browse thru the starting main roster to see who could use a spell down there. A bunch of the Flock could, but they are involved in a storyline with Benoit. Once more guys debut that I want to sign, it will probably mean a second child company becomes necessary.

As I've mentioned, the big temptation off the top is to open a smaller-sized broadcaster soon but the only purpose it would serve is to give air time to the chid promotion. But honestly, using Borrow from Development for the B show makes that less impactful anyway. So I will hold off on the broadcaster for the moment.

I think I narrowed down the income differences between WCW and WWF. The Time Warner PPV carrier is only Medium in the US, whereas the WWF can get on larger and therefore more profitable PPV broadcaster both at home and abroad. And I did dig into contracts - it looks like the biggest deal that the WWF had to hand out was around $80K per month, and even guys at A popularity when they resigned were mostly below that. So the deals that Hogan and Hart are on definitely make a difference.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

No One

Status

Svelte, swaggering Jim Cornette is delightful.

The Champions League promotion is interesting. I find it fun how you can put together these ideas adapting non-wrestling mechanics into wrestling, Jon. Not something I've ever been able to do to any real extent.

As for CGC, if you haven't abandoned it yet, a brand split would work. But your conundrum is exactly why I try to limit my hires lol

Started up with WCW 1997 last night. Handed out bonuses like candy to unhappy workers. Opened a developmental territory - almost went with Southpaw Regional but ended up opening Outlaw Championship Wrestling in North Carolina for a bit of synchronicity. I didn't open it at the smallest possible size as I normally do, but one or two steps up. Could have spent more and gone bigger, but don't want to go overkill. So far, I've only signed Edge, Christian, Jamie Noble, D-Von & Bubba Ray, and Steve Corino. Will probably add in Ron Killings, Gregory Helms, Christian York, Joey Matthews, Christopher Daniels, James Storm, Chris Harris, and a few others. As workers debut, especially as some guys come thru the Power Plant, it will fill up more. Will probably look to add a solid veteran or two and will browse thru the starting main roster to see who could use a spell down there. A bunch of the Flock could, but they are involved in a storyline with Benoit. Once more guys debut that I want to sign, it will probably mean a second child company becomes necessary.

As I've mentioned, the big temptation off the top is to open a smaller-sized broadcaster soon but the only purpose it would serve is to give air time to the chid promotion. But honestly, using Borrow from Development for the B show makes that less impactful anyway. So I will hold off on the broadcaster for the moment.

I think I narrowed down the income differences between WCW and WWF. The Time Warner PPV carrier is only Medium in the US, whereas the WWF can get on larger and therefore more profitable PPV broadcaster both at home and abroad. And I did dig into contracts - it looks like the biggest deal that the WWF had to hand out was around $80K per month, and even guys at A popularity when they resigned were mostly below that. So the deals that Hogan and Hart are on definitely make a difference.
    I love the idea but often I feel like I'm just tossing numbers into a calculator and wasting my time doing it. I have a video game existential crisis

CGC is still cool and theres a ton of Gargantuan challenger possibilities for the rest of 2016 so it's not something I totally want to throw away. I think I'll add the PPVs to start and do a brand split later on where the PPVs will alternate between the brands.

My only legitimate reasoning for doing a subscription network pre-Netflix/YouTube era would be to do something like the WWE Classics/24-7 On Demand channel. If you sort of picture it like that then doing it that early makes sense so why not. Any interesting storyline ideas for WCW? Or just basic ones youre running through?

Status

I love the idea but often I feel like I'm just tossing numbers into a calculator and wasting my time doing it. I have a video game existential crisis

CGC is still cool and theres a ton of Gargantuan challenger possibilities for the rest of 2016 so it's not something I totally want to throw away. I think I'll add the PPVs to start and do a brand split later on where the PPVs will alternate between the brands.

My only legitimate reasoning for doing a subscription network pre-Netflix/YouTube era would be to do something like the WWE Classics/24-7 On Demand channel. If you sort of picture it like that then doing it that early makes sense so why not. Any interesting storyline ideas for WCW? Or just basic ones youre running through?
    Well, a text based simulator is basically just a spreadsheet interface. I never forget that when I pour hour and hour into TEW, FM, etc, but it sure as shit doesn't prevent me from enjoying it. Fun is fun.

You just have a massive man-crush on Gargantuan. Don't blame ya.

Actually, the Classics / 24-7 is pretty much what I was thinking lol. A subscription streaming service makes more sense but isn't technologically viable for the time period. I could say fuck it and do that anyway but I don't want to ruin my spreadsheet interface relationship with this save and I think that might.

Mentioned these already, but the big storyline for the first six months would be the demise of the New World Order. Basically all the babyfaces will finally join forces to start to wreck them. It starts with Sting going clean over Hogan at Starrcade instead of the clusterfuck they actually did. In January, DDP will step into a leadership role, creating an uneasy alliance with Flair and Sting. They will be joined by the likes of Luger, The Giant, Harlem Heat, Steiners, Benoit, and Malenko. Bret Hart will align with them but decide he doesn't want to be a follower so he forms a Hart Foundation type group instead. Flair, Benoit, and Malenko will split off to reform the Horsemen. This will create 3 separate babyface groups that have similar short-term intents but differing views. So you have dynamics creating little rivalries that will bloom into actual feuds down the road. The New World Order will be whittled down in power thru early 1998, leading up to a "Lose and Disband" multi-tag at Bash at the Beach in June, at which point the NWO is officially done.

There will be other storylines running. Raven's Flock will play an ongoing role in the upper midcard. They start feuding with Benoit, so looping Malenko into that and later on the Four Horsemen once they reform is an option. Could have Eddie (and maybe Konnan) form the Latino World Order as well.

I haven't decided on the 4th active member of the Horsemen yet. Someone needs to join Flair, Benoit, and Malenko, since Arn is retired. It sure as fuck won't be Mongo McMichael. Tempted by Lance Storm or Mike Awesome, but will see if anyone else steps forward.

Could do an "extreme" stable of some sort, as I'm highly likely to steal Shane Douglas and have already made offers to the Dudley Boys - although those two will go into development for a spell. Nothing so overt as an ECW invasion, but just playing on their history a bit. WCW has plenty of guys who had time in ECW so that creates links and rivalries quite easily.

The undefeated streak of Goldberg will continue but I don't imagine he will be ready to grab the world title until mid to later 1998. I have not decided yet how the Streak ends. Notable that Kurt Angle debuts in mid 1998 and I absolutely want him.

Still undecided on the Steiners. It was early 1998 when Scott finally turned and joined the NWO. It was a slow build, with the turn built for months. Might still do that, even if he's joining the NWO not long before its killed off. I don't think Big Poppa Pump becomes a World Champion in this version of WCW, but he can definitely be a strong upper midcard character. The hesitation is that it leaves Rick Steiner less useful and will mean two of the primary tag teams will be gone, since Booker T is going to be a singles star too and I'm pretty sure Stevie Ray is on time decline. It makes sense all the way around to still do the Steiner split n turn, though.

I have some individual story arc ideas as well.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Bash in the Beach is in the books. I had some high expectations going in, and most of the matches I expected to deliver, delivered. I did stupidly sabotage myself on the final two matches though, by adjusting the match danger levels which upset some fans. I'll know to avoid doing that in the future. Anyways, here's how the show went:

Like I said, I kinda screwed Douglas vs. Van Dam and Booker vs. D'Lo or I'm sure the show would have been a C+ or B-, which is the grades I pull for most shows.

Just a reminder that Purgatory is Sean O'Haire and Chuck Palumbo.

This is the final show for Bagwell and Jarrett. Jarrett put in his two weeks notice because I had him lose a couple of matches he didn't want to. Buff can't get clean and I don't really like him to begin with, so I just kept him around long enough to wrap up the US Title tournament, which you can see Ernest Miller won, and now I'm going to go ahead and cut him loose. Losing the two of them is pretty significant for my star power, but I've been putting in work to move guys up since I started the game, so I don't expect it to be a major loss.

The KroniK attack on Dustin Rhodes is a part of a story I'm running. Dustin has been picking a fight with Dreamer, as he's upset with the ECW guys coming over and called out Dreamer after he caned the shit out of Chris Chetti. He's taking a stance of hardcore wrestling not having a place in WCW, but not in a super heelish way because he is still a face. KroniK have been ordered to take him out and of course he thinks Dreamer is behind it, but it will be revealed down the line that it's actually the debuting BG James who set out to injure Dustin as part of a "personal, behind the scenes" rivalry that they have. Dustin has good chemistry when facing Tommy (whose Dreamer name was fittingly inspired by Dusty) so hopefully they have good tag team chemistry because Dustin is going to be forced to apologize to Tommy and form an alliance to fight off KroniK and BG James.

DDP is in a neck brace because he's been at war with Kanyon and Dusty set up a dog collar match between them. Kanyon didn't want to have the match buy Dusty forced him to. Kanyon won and then took things a step further with a piledriver on the steps which caused DDP to be injured and Kanyon to get suspended. I'm still debating what I want their blowoff match to be. It obviously needs to be something pretty brutal but I'm wondering if I should have something at stake, such as their WCW careers or something like that. Only problem is I really think the whole loser leaves town but doesn't actually leave town thing is kind of cliche, so I want to come up with something more creative for how to end it.

Also, I went ahead and formed working relationships with NOAH, IWA-MS and JAPW. Hence why I had Marufuji on the pre-show. Styles is obviously someone I want to groom to break out in singles competition but right now there really isn't room for him storyline-wise so I'm keeping him with Paris and mostly having him pick up wins on pre-shows.

It's notable that my PPV buys fell off a cliff compared to last show. But the last show was main evented by Booker vs. Kanyon vs. DDP and this show didn't have Kanyon, Jarrett or DDP advertised, so I imagine that was a pretty large factor.

Next month we have Uprising where D'Lo will end his feud with Stasiak, Kanyon and DDP will have possibly their final match, BG James will debut, and I'm undecided on who gets the shot at Booker this time around. Hopefully the buys increase this time around.

No One

Status

Well, a text based simulator is basically just a spreadsheet interface. I never forget that when I pour hour and hour into TEW, FM, etc, but it sure as shit doesn't prevent me from enjoying it. Fun is fun.

You just have a massive man-crush on Gargantuan. Don't blame ya.

Actually, the Classics / 24-7 is pretty much what I was thinking lol. A subscription streaming service makes more sense but isn't technologically viable for the time period. I could say fuck it and do that anyway but I don't want to ruin my spreadsheet interface relationship with this save and I think that might.

Mentioned these already, but the big storyline for the first six months would be the demise of the New World Order. Basically all the babyfaces will finally join forces to start to wreck them. It starts with Sting going clean over Hogan at Starrcade instead of the clusterfuck they actually did. In January, DDP will step into a leadership role, creating an uneasy alliance with Flair and Sting. They will be joined by the likes of Luger, The Giant, Harlem Heat, Steiners, Benoit, and Malenko. Bret Hart will align with them but decide he doesn't want to be a follower so he forms a Hart Foundation type group instead. Flair, Benoit, and Malenko will split off to reform the Horsemen. This will create 3 separate babyface groups that have similar short-term intents but differing views. So you have dynamics creating little rivalries that will bloom into actual feuds down the road. The New World Order will be whittled down in power thru early 1998, leading up to a "Lose and Disband" multi-tag at Bash at the Beach in June, at which point the NWO is officially done.

There will be other storylines running. Raven's Flock will play an ongoing role in the upper midcard. They start feuding with Benoit, so looping Malenko into that and later on the Four Horsemen once they reform is an option. Could have Eddie (and maybe Konnan) form the Latino World Order as well.

I haven't decided on the 4th active member of the Horsemen yet. Someone needs to join Flair, Benoit, and Malenko, since Arn is retired. It sure as fuck won't be Mongo McMichael. Tempted by Lance Storm or Mike Awesome, but will see if anyone else steps forward.

Could do an "extreme" stable of some sort, as I'm highly likely to steal Shane Douglas and have already made offers to the Dudley Boys - although those two will go into development for a spell. Nothing so overt as an ECW invasion, but just playing on their history a bit. WCW has plenty of guys who had time in ECW so that creates links and rivalries quite easily.

The undefeated streak of Goldberg will continue but I don't imagine he will be ready to grab the world title until mid to later 1998. I have not decided yet how the Streak ends. Notable that Kurt Angle debuts in mid 1998 and I absolutely want him.

Still undecided on the Steiners. It was early 1998 when Scott finally turned and joined the NWO. It was a slow build, with the turn built for months. Might still do that, even if he's joining the NWO not long before its killed off. I don't think Big Poppa Pump becomes a World Champion in this version of WCW, but he can definitely be a strong upper midcard character. The hesitation is that it leaves Rick Steiner less useful and will mean two of the primary tag teams will be gone, since Booker T is going to be a singles star too and I'm pretty sure Stevie Ray is on time decline. It makes sense all the way around to still do the Steiner split n turn, though.

I have some individual story arc ideas as well.
    It would still count as a subscription service though which works. Also, in Canada, pretty sure WWE Network works basically the same as WWE On Demand in the sense that you need cable to get it anyways, even if afterwards you can use it as a streaming service. But you can't use it EXCLUSIVELY as a streaming service.

The Flock & Four Horsemen have to be the biggest staples of your WCW runs Lance Storm would fit perfectly with Benoit & Malenko but it's sort of an odd looking Four Horsemen. Those three strike me as ill-fitting but I'm not super familiar with Four Horsemen anyways. Still, maybe you should shake things up with a more charismatic member. Where is Chris Jericho at?

Kurt Angle surprising the world and ending Goldberg's streak would be awesome but it should definitely be a case of Goldberg winning the WCW World Championship first.

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Bash in the Beach is in the books. I had some high expectations going in, and most of the matches I expected to deliver, delivered. I did stupidly sabotage myself on the final two matches though, by adjusting the match danger levels which upset some fans. I'll know to avoid doing that in the future. Anyways, here's how the show went:

Like I said, I kinda screwed Douglas vs. Van Dam and Booker vs. D'Lo or I'm sure the show would have been a C+ or B-, which is the grades I pull for most shows.

Just a reminder that Purgatory is Sean O'Haire and Chuck Palumbo.

This is the final show for Bagwell and Jarrett. Jarrett put in his two weeks notice because I had him lose a couple of matches he didn't want to. Buff can't get clean and I don't really like him to begin with, so I just kept him around long enough to wrap up the US Title tournament, which you can see Ernest Miller won, and now I'm going to go ahead and cut him loose. Losing the two of them is pretty significant for my star power, but I've been putting in work to move guys up since I started the game, so I don't expect it to be a major loss.

The KroniK attack on Dustin Rhodes is a part of a story I'm running. Dustin has been picking a fight with Dreamer, as he's upset with the ECW guys coming over and called out Dreamer after he caned the shit out of Chris Chetti. He's taking a stance of hardcore wrestling not having a place in WCW, but not in a super heelish way because he is still a face. KroniK have been ordered to take him out and of course he thinks Dreamer is behind it, but it will be revealed down the line that it's actually the debuting BG James who set out to injure Dustin as part of a "personal, behind the scenes" rivalry that they have. Dustin has good chemistry when facing Tommy (whose Dreamer name was fittingly inspired by Dusty) so hopefully they have good tag team chemistry because Dustin is going to be forced to apologize to Tommy and form an alliance to fight off KroniK and BG James.

DDP is in a neck brace because he's been at war with Kanyon and Dusty set up a dog collar match between them. Kanyon didn't want to have the match buy Dusty forced him to. Kanyon won and then took things a step further with a piledriver on the steps which caused DDP to be injured and Kanyon to get suspended. I'm still debating what I want their blowoff match to be. It obviously needs to be something pretty brutal but I'm wondering if I should have something at stake, such as their WCW careers or something like that. Only problem is I really think the whole loser leaves town but doesn't actually leave town thing is kind of cliche, so I want to come up with something more creative for how to end it.

Also, I went ahead and formed working relationships with NOAH, IWA-MS and JAPW. Hence why I had Marufuji on the pre-show. Styles is obviously someone I want to groom to break out in singles competition but right now there really isn't room for him storyline-wise so I'm keeping him with Paris and mostly having him pick up wins on pre-shows.

It's notable that my PPV buys fell off a cliff compared to last show. But the last show was main evented by Booker vs. Kanyon vs. DDP and this show didn't have Kanyon, Jarrett or DDP advertised, so I imagine that was a pretty large factor.

Next month we have Uprising where D'Lo will end his feud with Stasiak, Kanyon and DDP will have possibly their final match, BG James will debut, and I'm undecided on who gets the shot at Booker this time around. Hopefully the buys increase this time around.
    I don't even care, I would've restarted the show to reset the match danger level to where it should be at because that's not a case of you not being a bad booker but just not understanding the mechanics of the game too well. The game isn't contextual so it doesn't really recognize those are one times things and it can work on occasion. It's just a Yes/No thing for them.

DDP & Kanyon is the defacto feud I think anyone runs with WCW 2001. I think it's the only thing we've done that is similar to each other but I think that's a credit to you since I've basically stayed mostly predictable with my matches.

Do you have big plans for BG James in terms of push? Cool to see you giving guys like D'Lo and Stasiak notable pushes. Would be nice to see them switch up the status quo as opposed to Kanyon/O'Haire being the guys that get that push push.

----------

Made some progress on my Champions League of Wrestling.

First Preliminary Round:
    KENTA (#78) defeated Shawn Hernandez (#81)
    Ricky Banderas (#80) defeated Nathan Jones (#79)

Second Preliminary Round:
    KENTA (#78) defeated Ricky Banderas (#80)

First Qualifying Round:
    KENTA (#78) defeated Dalip Singh (#45)
    Kenny Omega (#77) defeated John Cena (#46)
    El Dandy (#47) defeated Jon Heidenreich (#76)
    Steve Corino (#48) defeated Claudio Castagnoli (#75)
    Super Crazy (#49) defeated Austin Aries (#74)
    Masato Tanaka (#50) defeated Pimpinela Escarlata (#73)
    Samoa Joe (#51) defeated CM Punk (#72)
    Bryan Danielson (#52) defeated Carly Colon (#71)
    Don Frye (#53) defeated Vampiro (#70)
    Nigel McGuinness (#54) defeated Brad Armstrong (#69)
    AJ Styles (#55) defeated Yoshihiro Tajiri (#68)
    CIMA (#56) defeated Kid Kash (#67)
    Halloween (#57) defeated Jerelle Clark (#66)
    Frankie Kazarian (#65) defeated Jack Evans (#58)
    Fergal Devitt (#64) defeated Matt Sydal (#59)
    Paul London (#60) defeated Chris Sabin (#63)
    Brian Kendrick (#62) defeated Teddy Hart (#61)

Comments: We finished up the First Qualifying Round. KENTA continues his road despite facing someone as high as #45 though when you see who it is, you aren't too surprised. Frankie Kazarian managed and upset victory over Jack Evans, Fergal Devitt and Brian Kendrick amnaged the same against Matt Sydal and Teddy Hart respectively. London beats Sabin. A lot of high spot matches near the end there.

Second Qualifying Round:
    KENTA (#78) defeated Randy Savage (#36)
    Kenny Omega (#77) defeated Ricky Morton (#37)
    El Dandy (#47) defeated Robbie Brookside (#38)
    Steve Corino (#48) defeated Robert Gibson (#39)
    Super Crazy (#49) defeated Scott Hall (#40)
    Masato Tanaka (#50) defeated Tito Santana (#41)
    Samoa Joe (#51) defeated Tommy Dreamer (#42)
    Bryan Danielson (#52) defeated Tracy Smothers (#43)
    Don Frye (#53) defeated Tully Blanchard (#44)
    Nigel McGuinness (#54) defeated Brian Kendrick (#62)
    AJ Styles (#55) defeated Paul London (#60)
    Fergal Devitt (#64) defeated CIMA (#56)
    Halloween (#57) defeated Frankie Kazarian (#65)

Comments: Where First Qualifying Round was fairly predictable, the Second Qualifying Round was upset mountain. KENTA beat the legend Randy Savage in what are probably his last matches (he announced his retirement). Kenny Omega, El Dandy, Steve Corino, Super Crazy (Scott Hall was too high/drunk to win a series he really should've won), Samoa Joe, Bryan Danielson, and Don Fry all continued the upsets to send their opponents packing as soon as they entered. Nigel McGuiness vs. Brian Kendrick was a super tight match, they drew in their first match and had the exact same performances so I let the AI decide who would win their second match and it was Nigel who won (though Kendrick outperformed him). Styles & Halloween go over their opponents of lower rank. Fergal Devitt beat CIMA but it was largely thanks to a year long Neck Nerve injury that he managed to get through. CIMA was a top contender to go far.

Third Qualifying Round:
    KENTA (#78) defeated Bobby Eaton (#29)
    Kenny Omega (#77) vs. Chavo Guerrero Sr. (#30)
    El Dandy (#47) vs. Christopher Daniels (#31)
    Steve Corino (#48) vs. Hector Guerrero (#32)
    Super Crazy (#49) vs. Keiji Mutoh (#33)
    Masato Tanaka (#50) vs. Koko B. Ware (#34)
    Samoa Joe (#51) vs. Pierroth Jr. (#35)
    Bryan Danielson (#52) vs. Halloween (#57)
    Don Frye (#53) vs. Fergal Devitt (#64)
    Nigel MCGuinness (#54) vs. AJ Styles (#55)

Comments: KENTA continues to murder old men. Nigel vs. Styles is basically guaranteed to steal the match of the round. Each win helps the guys who enter earlier on gather momentum and pop so the older guys definitely have a hard time trying to match up to the younger/momentum packed opponents. Still, only 6 of those guys can make it to the end. Play-off Round will follow before Group Stage.

Barry Horrowitz quit the company after a few incidents so he needs to be replaced. I'd like to get a Rey Mysterio or Eddie Guerrero in to replace him.

WWF fell to cult so they've kinda fucked me up financially but it's whatever. I think we'll make it through.

Top 10 Matches so far with spoilers for Match 1 of El Dandy vs. Christopher Daniels.

Status

@Jon

Yeah. I definitely do things different on purpose. When I play TEW, I usually don't strive to get the best grades possible and take over the world, or anything like that. It's usually just me going full fantasy booking with whatever strikes me. DDP vs. Kanyon is just practically unavoidable.

BG James will be a gatekeeper. I'm sure he'll be main event by default but he's not someone I will put in World Title programs and he'll definitely do his fair show of losing to the up and comers who are on the verge of main eventing.

I'm not too sure how much longer the D'Lo experiment will last. He's not really particularly good at anything. He does have great chemistry when teaming with Booker and I guess he can be another guy that helps me build for the future, which he's already doing with the Stasiak feud.

Thread Information