Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041

Thread: TEW 2016

Status

Re: TEW 2016

So day off work and some December EPL matches to catch up on.... I got through January with the SWF. Finished first in the national battles, which was no real surprise. Made about 1.5m profit.

Can't saying its really grabbing me yet. Usually it doesn't take very long for a save to dig its claws in if its going to. Especially one like this where I have some specific plans for specific workers that I want to have play out. I feel like I've bloated the roster a bit, especially considering the developmental talent I added. Its not a massive degree of bloat, and adding a B show certainly adds some flexibility with worker usage anyway. If I restarted, I would limit who I signed a bit but not MASSIVELY. Part of the intent is to start developing a new generation of talent. But I don't need every talented / likely talented / high SQ worker. I think I have a bit more restraint with a performance based company because I don't hooked by those "cool character" and/or "high Star Quality" projects who are never going to be very good workers.

So still not sure where I want to go. Whether its continue with SWF, go back to Black Canvas, start up with Burning Hammer again..... Burning Hammer is definitely appealing in a lot of ways. Financially secure, pretty straight-forward booking, the fun of doing a Grand Prix event. Can sign up some of the best talent in Japan to develop. But the roster size is a bit of an issue. BCG is a bit too small - too much concern with finances and trying to hang onto to talented workers. If BCG was already Cult and could offer Written deals, that might be ideal. CGC doesn't appeal to me, and I did think a bit about PGHW and while certain aspects seem fun, the lack of a junior division makes it less intriguing. Last night, I took a peak at the ThunderVerse, where I have never really booked in Japan. The biggest Japanese promotion is United Promotions Japan, which is a bit akin to NJPW. That one is pretty self-sustaining, with plenty of talent, but doesn't appeal hugely. There are two other Cult-sized companies in Japan, both of which were formed by exoduses of talent from UPJ - DIASPORA and Pro Wrestling HONOR. DIASPORA is a company that focused on juniors but added a heavyweight division. I might take a closer look at DIASPORA. But I looked at HONOR closer last night. They are owned by Kenta Sonada, a huge star for UPJ who left to start his own company. They have a heavyweight division, junior division (more serious than true Super Junior), and women's division. The women's division is pretty meh to me. I checked a test save and was surprised to see that after a year, HONOR had gone from $2.5m in the bank to start to being well in debt. Another couple of months into 2017 on that test and they closed a bit into the 2nd year. Not good. Saw that Sonada has a pretty huge set-wage, about $50K per month. That's massive money for a Cult company. I didn't check to see if anyone else had a similarly oversized contract. My default is to use the existing owner as my user character, which would mean that wouldn't be an issue but then it also feels cheap as I would be wiping out a financial barrier. The Tverse Japan scene is probably a bit lighter in good prospects than the Cverse version is - which is the opposite for overall game-worlds. So I would be relying a bit on randomly-generated workers for the next generation of stars.

Basically, TL:DR synopsis - still save bouncing, just put some time into Supreme

Status
      Country                    United States

In my TEW game, I've noticed in the last couple of weeks that my and everybody else's ratings have suddenly multiplied by like five. I'm wondering if I messed something up, if this is a glitch, or if it's possible this is just some built in boom in the wrestling industry? I know there's a 'ratings unit' option in the settings. I don't remember messing with it. Any advice on what might be happening?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    In my TEW game, I've noticed in the last couple of weeks that my and everybody else's ratings have suddenly multiplied by like five. I'm wondering if I messed something up, if this is a glitch, or if it's possible this is just some built in boom in the wrestling industry? I know there's a 'ratings unit' option in the settings. I don't remember messing with it. Any advice on what might be happening?
    Ratings? You mean TV ratings?

There isn't a "multiplier" option that I'm aware of. The most likely culprit is that the wrestling industry jumped up significantly. And if it moved significantly, it was probably a narrative. You are playing a real world mod still, correct? That's probably pre-programmed. You can check into the Editor if you want to be sure.

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Ratings? You mean TV ratings?

There isn't a "multiplier" option that I'm aware of. The most likely culprit is that the wrestling industry jumped up significantly. And if it moved significantly, it was probably a narrative. You are playing a real world mod still, correct? That's probably pre-programmed. You can check into the Editor if you want to be sure.
    Yeah, I assume it is the boom. I've reached the exact point in the game where Nitro would premiere in real life. It's not a big deal, but if it had been some kind of glitch, it would have really ate at me. It makes sense but it's still kinda lame... everyone's TV ratings just multiplied overnight. Doesn't seem super realistic but eh, game can't be perfect.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Yeah, I assume it is the boom. I've reached the exact point in the game where Nitro would premiere in real life. It's not a big deal, but if it had been some kind of glitch, it would have really ate at me. It makes sense but it's still kinda lame... everyone's TV ratings just multiplied overnight. Doesn't seem super realistic but eh, game can't be perfect.
    Does kinda suck that the impact of the narrative is a bit heavy and immediate, rather than more drawn out. Honestly, there isn't a lot of good guidance on just how much of an impact each narrative option and its "level" has. It takes a bunch of testing and tweaking, and that gets really fucking time consuming for a mod-maker.

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Started a new game with TCW. The company decides to make a huge change after being sold to BriCo and their long-running television show goes off the air. The plan going forward is to expand their roster drastically and focus their income around significant events instead of television episodes that build-up to major events. Basically they'll be a lot more UFC-esque. The first phase will be a U-30 event (with wrestlers under the age of 30 years old), an All-Action event (205 Live basically), Revolution (exclusive to women wrestlers and as far as Im aware, the first women only event promoted by a national company), and the regular monthly events we're used to featuring the most elite wrestlers in TCW. Four more events will be added thereafter focusing around Australia, Europe (including UK), America (Canada, US, Mexico) and Japan. So it'll be 8 events a month in total, each sporting their own rosters with occasional crossover. Each card is supposed to present marquee matches and would be built-up with press conferences ahead of time.

There are tons of issues with this plan that make it somewhat challenging with TEW '16. First off, U30, All-Action, Revolution aren't likely to put up the requisite grades to get us pop gains, especially early on. Second of all, the 1 event per roster thing means that a lot of wrestlers aren't going to develop fast enough. Thirdly, the 1 event per roster thing means we'll have a huge roster and it'll be hard to tell if our income can keep up with it. Fourthly, once I introduce the regional promotions it'll be hard to tell if I should get them on bigger coverage or not considering they'll have trouble making the grade as well. Eventually, I'd like to set up a ton of child promotions once we have a TV network but we need to start making a profit to do that first.

I've already burned through half the $5M budget setting all of this up.

First card was TCW U-30 I: Wolf Hawkins vs. Jay Chord. The card was centered around the first round of the TCW U-30 World Championship and featured Wolf Hawkins & Aaron Andrews. This is an obvious downgrade for them and they should be in All-Stars but the U-30 will need a boost early on and they're nearly 30 anyways. Wolf Hawkins vs. Jay Chord was MOTN with a B, Mighty Mo & Zesshin Makioka was good too with a C but Makioka shattered Mo's knee and the surgery was a failure so he's out for 1 year and 3 months, Aaron Andrews vs. DeCipher was the 2nd best match of the night at a C+. The show got a 77 and I believe our pop was 78. So we're really on the threshold of Cult/National.

Next up is TCW All Action I.

I'll have to hope I can buy GCG at some point so I can get a TV deal in Japan without having to create a subscription network or anything.

#GrimLove

Status
      Country                    Norway

Been doing a couple of test runs with the AI booking my fictional company and the results are actually quite favorable.

The show's are on average getting anywhere between 66 and 73 ratings with Harris (the owner) being the major star of the show, with incredible matches with the likes of Jake Idol and Jackpot Jordan (with Jordan a PPV Main Event was 83). They are running on a profit as well.

There's just one problem, and that would be Texas Pete. I figured I could throw him in the company with a narrative that he finally cleaned up his act, but he's just not a good wrestler to justify keeping him. We'll see where it goes for now, but Pete as a champion is a bust so far.

Doubting El Dandy

Status
      Country                    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Barrows View Post
    Been doing a couple of test runs with the AI booking my fictional company and the results are actually quite favorable.

The show's are on average getting anywhere between 66 and 73 ratings with Harris (the owner) being the major star of the show, with incredible matches with the likes of Jake Idol and Jackpot Jordan (with Jordan a PPV Main Event was 83). They are running on a profit as well.

There's just one problem, and that would be Texas Pete. I figured I could throw him in the company with a narrative that he finally cleaned up his act, but he's just not a good wrestler to justify keeping him. We'll see where it goes for now, but Pete as a champion is a bust so far.
    I've always been tempted with a fictional company in the C-Verse. In 2010 and 2013 I really wanted to run a company bigger than the biggest indie, but smaller than the smallest national. Would be interesting to see you book it yourself and what comes out of it.

So I've settled on NOTBPW for TEW 2013 (although using the '14 update). Initially I was put off when 5 of the top 10 guys were on time decline (and I'd later find out Dan Stone Jr is getting pinged for declining physical ability, making it 6 out of 10), and the structure of the rest of the roster wasn't set up for building new stars. You have 10 people above the mid 60s who are all awesome (don't love Harrison Hash's lack of selling, but beggars can't be choosers), but like I say, 6 are on time decline. There's then a big drop to the next rung of guys, around the 50-60 range, but none are good enough in-ring to survive in NOTBPW main event. There's then another big drop off, to around the 20-40 range, where there is promising talent, but a mile away from the main event in popularity. That was quite off-putting... but I've now realised that will actually make it quite a fun challenge.

I like to have a narrative for my game to keep me tied to it. So in this case, mine is that NOTBPW has been complacent with pushing younger talent and shaking things up. They're top of the mountain in Canada, although not by much, and benefited from a once in a lifetime collection of main eventers. However, those stars on the way out, and their matches aren't what they once were, meaning it's time for a change.

I've set myself three goals:

Update and innovate: The roster hasn't changed much, particularly towards the top of the card, and the general product is what it's always been. So the undercard is going to get a makeover and get more attention, and there will be new things coming in. One will eventually be a Super Junior-like division, to play off Duane Stone's history.

Create new stars: This is a necessity. Bloodstone and Duane are struggling to get above low 80s when fighting one another, and I've seen the AI in other games get 99 for that combination. That means pushing Owen Love and Jacob Jett faster than I might otherwise do, and bringing in people like Greg Black and Akima Brave and attaching a rocket to them. It also means I'll have to be prepared to pay top dollar if any names become available.

Attack: We're top in Canada, but not by a long way, and it's a matter of time before SWF or TCW expand in to our territory. So I'm moving to theirs first and taking the fight to them. I want to be the number one company in the world, not just Canada.

I've booked the first six weeks. I decided to create a backstory that Dan Stone Jr had been on hiatus after a humiliating loss to Steve DeColt before I took over, and DeColt has been lording it over him ever since. DSJ returned after DeColt's match with Sean McFly and accepted his challenge to a rematch. As his role of "Canada's Favourite Son" he insisted as part of his return that he could pick 2 youngsters that he wanted signed, who were Matthew Keith and Steven Parker, who will gradually be built up over the next year in the tag ranks. DeColt gets 90+ in any talking segment with DSJ, so I've been using that to build them both up (DeColt's already at 95 across Canada after 6 weeks!), and had them do "Pick Your Poison" in the last two weeks. DSJ picked his brother Duane, whereas DeColt (as representative of those who hate the Stones) felt Owen Love deserved a chance. DSJ and Owen went 40 minutes and got an 87 (the 2nd highest rating I've had so far, after DeColt/McFly), which led to a handshake which will start Owen's path to the main event.

Elsewhere, Greg Black won the TV Title on his debut, and is ticking over with great matches against the likes of Cameron Vessey and Flash to help build them up, and will over time elevate the title as he takes on bigger and bigger names. I brought Akima Brave in as a babyface monster to truck through the worthless midcarders (I generally hate doing that, but in this case, I need stars and quickly). Jacob Jett and Erik Strong have been put together as "Sky High", are about to win the Tag Titles, and will be a vehicle for getting Jett over and close to the main event.

In the Women's division, there's not a lot to work with in terms of pop, but I'm going to stick with it as I like a challenge. Kristabel Plum is the champ and miles above everyone else from a pop POV, but Lauren Easter is the one I want as the star. She's currently in an angle where she's feeling a lack of a challenge, so Victoria McFly-Stone is trying to find suitable competition. Eve Grunge has come in already, but I will likely have Principessa and Tamara McFly come in at some point, probably with an end point of Joanne Rodrigues being the competition she was looking for.

All in all, it's a lot harder than I remember NOTBPW being from 2008/10, but that's no bad thing. If I stick with it (big if) I'll try to post updates on here with how it's going.

Status

@Jon - did you go further with it or no?

@Grim - sounds fun. I've had the suggestion of creating a company a few times, but I've never gone very far with the idea. A clean slate where you build a company from the start SHOULD appeal to me but never really has. No idea why. Completely understand Pete not delivering.... but I think he used to be a very positive influence. Maybe even a locker room leader now. Honestly, unless I have a great locker room without him, I might consider keeping him based on that.

@Keefmoon - I expect NOTBPOW IS notably more difficult. Quite a few companies that were relative "easy mode" on earlier versions became more challenging. I know by TEW 2013, time decline had more of an impact, especially on performance-based products, and heavy products also wears workers down faster.

So yesterday's 2020 feature announcement was a notable change to dojos. You can now have training camps, dojos, and performance centers. This will more accurate recreate the setup the WWE has now, and what the WCW Power Plant was. I'm hoping for levels of investment that can be expanded over time, similar to how WMMA4 allowed you to invest in certain things like Headquarters, Hall of Fame, etc.

I had a wonderfully quiet weekend and a fair bit of TEW time. Which I used to not play at all. I added a glut of free pics. About 600 in total. Now have over 3000 free pics for the Cverse. Love it. I like having new worker generation on high and having more variety to pics is great. The nice thing about the ones I added is there is a great deal more ethnic diversity in some of them. So I went from having a handful of pics for certain demographics to several dozen. I like that.

I blame watching a couple of Wrestle Kingdoms, but the toying around with the SWF gave way to looking at puro companies again. I looked at Honor in the ThunderVerse but ended up back in the Cverse. I've never run Pride Glory Honor Wrestling - basically the equivalent of 90s All Japan King's Road style. So I was toying around with them, but decided against learning how to run a new company - I typically do a 2 or 3 month "test save" and then start over. PGHW is also a very serious company. That has some appeals.... but I really enjoy a super junior or junior heavyweight division. I COULD add a junior heavyweight division.... but I'm not sure that's a very PGHW type move.

So started up again with Burning Hammer of the Wrestling Gods. The size of the roster maybe burn me out, but running a glut of tournaments thru the years makes for some easy booking. I did the same as before and switched it back to a touring schedule, and have a bit of a backstory for the change (which only matters if I was going to BTB the save lol). Created a developmental territory - Burning Spirit Pro Wrestling. Last time I opened up two seprate ones - one for juniors and one for heavyweights. Kept it simpler this time. I really don't want / need 50 workers in developmental. I will need to replace a decent chunk of talent and move some of the vets into "old grumpy dad in multi-tag" roles. There are also some young lower-card talent who could use a spell in development to move their skills forward a step.

BCG is still tempting - whether going back to my previous save or starting another one. But I just don't want to deal with the finances. Not being able to push anyone who isn't loyal, just waiting to lose all the midcard and upper-card... can just be frustrating. Just no sure if I prefer dealing with that to BHOTWG's big roster. Being able to create some fun new super juniors is pushing Burning Hammer ahead right now so I'll go that direction.

For now.

Status

Looked at Black Canvas Grappling last night. The limited roster size just makes it a bit more appealing right now. The negatives - tight money, losing talent - are things that I think I can live with. I just have to be careful with how I approach it.

I've mentioned this before, but I generally tend to run bigger companies. Cult sometimes, but typically national. You can offer written deals. You have deal with the possibility, or reality, of losing talent to bigger companies when their deals expire. But there is at least some ways you can anticipate and plan around that. But a smaller company, where most of the roster isn't locked down or loyal.... it creates a level of uncertainty I'm not used to. It frustrated me in both previous BCG saves. Which is stupid, in a way. Because I expected it. Jon wrote some BCG recaps and tips on the GDS site and I've been using those. So I was plenty aware of the reality. But understanding something isn't quite the same as adapting to it.

BCG actually starts with some serious talent for a smaller company. Funakoshi is a favorite of both me and Jon. He's not quite a figurehead type, just because his Star Quality isn't ideal, but he regularly delivers strong matches with anyone. He can legit anchor every tour show. World champion Bunraaken Torii isn't far off. Blast Ikomi is notably less talented, but he isn't terrible. Razan Okamoto is another star and a great option for figurehead, despite being a lightweight. The downside is that he isn't loyal at the start. Neither is Tanyu Toshusai and he can't become loyal to BCG due to his age. Yoshinaka Taku is in a tag team with his dad (ultimate grumpy dad oldhead dynamic there) and is another potential star. And there is Rokuemon Matsushita, a big hoss who is loyal, but has some pretty notable drawbacks - Selling and Stamina. If he can be developed, another potential star. Now other companies come for Okamoto, Toshusai, and the younger Taku immediately. I tend to play as the legit owner (Yoshifusa Maeda) so I can offer enough to keep Okamoto, Toshusai, and Taku. That will make Okamoto and Taku loyal, but not Toshusai.

So that means that I would have group of six loyal workers. Torii, Funakoshi, and Okamoto are stars. Ikomi is a step down. He doesn't deliver in the ring to the same level as the first three. But he could probably do okay with the world title if needed as the match grades would be a step down but still good enough to keep the company growing. Taku is a future star who needs work and Rokuemon is a possible star. Even if he doesn't overcome his limitations, his Menace can be leveraged into some popularity gains and he can a special attraction type worker.

That group of six can be supplemented by a group of about six younger talents that are young enough to become loyal when they are signed. None are ready to be stars, in terms of in-ring or popularity. They all need a significant amount of work and time. But they can form a very solid midcard after awhile. Only one or two are potential stars, but a strong company needs a strong micard.

The loyal workers are the only ones that matter. Everyone else is expendable.

It can be hard to approach it that way. Some workers don't offer much. Oldheads who aren't great workers, but they can still have one or two skills at a high level that allows them to function as a "trainer" type, which is appealing. And they often have reasonable (for the level) popularity. But if the individual is on a bigger contract.... bye. They aren't providing value equal to the wage so they become expandable. Even a pretty talented worker with star potential.... they won't make or break the company on an individual basis. So losing them sucks but.... that's business. I will also try to avoid "booking paralysis" that comes from the possibility of losing some workers. Basically, I don't want to ONLY do things with the loyal workers. It feels like a waste if book a midcarder well for a few months then see them depart. But so be it. If someone else isn't ready or capable of that push, pushing someone who leaves is better than nothing pushing anyone, unless you are pushing them so hard it negatively impacts others on the roster. And I won't.

There will always be other talents to grab. Whether its a marginally talented free agent worker, a talented worker who is loyal to another company but on a PPA, or even a gaijin. If I have to use gaijin touring deals for half the roster at some point, so be it. Gonna try to avoid getting up on the "but they are a BCG guy" mentality that seems to slip in. Roster churn is going to happen. Better to just accept it.

Speaking of roster churn.... I lost over half he starting roster in the previous saves. That's not over the course of years, but under six months. Losing talent is pretty much the norm for regional companies if you have bigger companies in your region. But that's still pretty extreme. It doesn't help that GCG are one of the most predatory, and being at war with them means if they only sign the worker to a PPA deal, they will leave BCG. Burning Hammer is awfully predatory too but they will only target stars, not mediocre veteran midcarders. In my first BCG save, something that was immediately a negative but would have been a long-term positive was Golden Canvas hitting Cult. That meant that they went on another hiring spree - bad for BCG - and started offering Written deals, so we couldn't even try to outbid them to keep the worker. But.... it also meant they were no longer part of the regional battle, which would move BCG from second to first. That bumps sponsor money and attendance. That is kinda vital just as the tsunami narrative hits and tanks everything. And long-term, being at cult is probably a negative for Golden Canvas when the economy and industry tank as the costs go way up with the size jump but the sponsorship money and attendance will tank a bit. That timing could help kill GCG as a company. And despite being the oldest wrestling company in Japan.... fuck them.

Edit - in that long ass rant, I forgot to mention.... Razan Okamoto is the best choice for figurehead. He's not the best of the group and he's not the world champ. But he has the most pieces. In this save, he's also willing to move up to Middleweight. That comes with a risk - he could get flabbier as he gets bigger and his SQ goes down. But I figure its worth risking. I'll wait til he finishes the change, then put him as the figurehead. As long as he's a decent figurehead, it means more attendance and merch, which is more money. For a company that struggles some with money, that could be notable.
    Last edited by Big Papa; Today at 04:29 PM.

Thread Information