Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast

Thread: TEW 2016

BRO

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: TEW 2016

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Interesting stuff. Sting as third man is a good call as it was reportedly supposed to fall on him if Hogan had refused to turn. That development territory is stacked as well. I have to say that I've gone in a pretty different direction as a whole. My WCW is definitely youth oriented.

I immediately got rid of Duggan and most of the generic low carders I started with. I've basically steered clear of signing anyone who is over the hill, other than Randy Savage who I took from WWF. I also took Jarrett and Raven who are both fringe main eventers though I also lost Vader. I ran Hogan off when it got to where I felt he was causing more trouble than he's worth. And he remains a free agent to this day. About a year in now I've solidified several new stars. My top five draws right now are Savage, Flair, Sting, Austin and DDP, who somehow are all bigger draws in America than WWF's top five guys. I renamed Jean-Paul Levesque aka Triple H to Michael Draven and gave him a badass gimmick, and he has shot up the card to a main eventer. I brought Taz in and given him a nice run. Eddie Guerrero, Chris Jericho and Chris Benoit have been giving me some amazing matches and are my go-to midcarders for good matches. I brought in Saturn and Malenko to reform the Four Horsemen with Flair and Anderson. Pillman, Dustin Rhodes, Booker T, Lord Steven Regal and Cactus Jack are all upper midcard or main event level as well. I also started the cruiserweight division but no women's division.

I have a lot I need to go over but don't have the motivation to do a full round up of the happenings in my game at the moment so I'll probably do a huge summary post after I get past Starrcade which is four months down the road.
    Oh the youth thing is surely my plan for the future, that explains the development territory I got going on. For now I'm letting it play out this way, to try and get me the top. I'm still 2nd to WWF right now. Tho, some of the young guys I already have on the main roster are being built up as well. but we'll see how it ends up going haha. But I surely love what it sounds like you got going on. Seems like a WCW I would've loved getting to watch for sure.

Edit: so not to double post let me throw this in to this, also will get to see my debut that I could've had happen already but saved it for the PPV.

Now, to see that you'll have to click the spoiler tag.

Spoiler:

Also, this popped up in the news recently. So, you know I'll try and get him.

Last edited by Blazy Blaze; 12-27-2018 at 03:05 AM.

Certified G

Status

Due to really not enjoying this years verision of Football Manager, ended up trying out WMMA5 which is awesome and then lately TEW 2016 which is so much fun after figuring out how the hell this game works.

I'm currently two years into the WCW Lives mod so up to June 2003 and it's been so much fun playing. Decidied to go for a different background story instead of Bischoff buying WCW, I just came up with my own character instead, though I've kept Bischoff on as an authority figure but it's mostly in the Jack Tunny role, he shows up when he's needed.

2001 is a slog to get through - most of the roster sucks and anybody worth a damn is in the WWE already or needs serious development. I did snatch up Punk, Joe, Daniels, Low Ki, Styles, Danielson and all the indy dudes (+ John Cena) putting them in development, and signed up RVD before the WWE could get their hands on him. My plan was to turn WCW into a more workrate company to really seperate it away away from WWE/Post-NWO WCW which has come to the fruition now. Booker/Steiner was the main feud for 2001 with Booker chasing (he was injured at the start of the game so just stripped it off him and gave the belt to Steiner) and winning the belt at Halloween Havoc then ending the year by defeating Nash at Starrcade. Throughout this I mostly spent trying to build up O'Haire & Palombo as a team, Mike Awesome, Lance Storm, RVD and Mysterio Jr. with Jarrett and DDP as the gatekeepers. But the locker room was just a mess, every show without a fail there would be some kind of incident with either dudes high on dudes, drunk or getting into fights so at the start of 2002 with the backstage rating down to the low 20s, just decided to stay screw it and gave a hardline speech where anybody who wanted out could go.

Which resulted in Steiner (nooo), Nash, Flair, Dustin Rhodes (eventually brought him later in the year), Bam Bam Bigelow all leaving town. That was kind of annoying as they were all either main eventers or upper midcarders but oh well, it reduced the negativity and forced me to split up O'Haire/Palombo with O'Haire being primed to be the new top heel, RVD being pushed to the main event and calling up Samoa Joe, Punk and AJ. The first few PPV's were pretty bad with the likes of Booker/Buff Bagwell main eventing but we improved the tag division pairing AJ up with Christopher Daniels, Punk going into the cruiserweight division briefly to feud with Chavo, Chris Hero and Bryan Danielson also being moved into the cruiserweight division.

Decided to book Samoa Joe and the undefeated streak which isn't original but I needed it to happen to improve his pop and help out the roster so pretty much booked Joe against part-timer (using the hire local option, which rules) from the 80s, 90s so he pretty much squashed Bam Bam returning for one night, King Kong Bundy, Butterbean, Ultimate Warrior (~!) etc and sacrificed the likes of Luger, Bagwell and a horribly decling DDP before moving into a feud with Ken Shamrock who came back from another stint in MMA in the summer of 2002 and those two feuded up until the fall with Joe going over each time. Around the summer we also managed to get Goldberg back who returned to wrestling after the Time Warner contract went up and moved him into a feud with O'Haire, where Goldberg was the special guest referee for O'Haire/RVD at New Blood Rising 2002 with the babyface Van Dam capturing the gold. RVD would move into a feud with Vampiro that ended up being surprisingly awesome that lasted until Mayhem in November.

Biggest signing I've made also happened in 2002 when ...The Rock's contract was expiring and he surprisingly signed with us. I have literally no clue how I managed to get him, I offered a truckload of money plus wage matching which he seemed happy with it but WWE always beats me in these kind of bids so I'm shocked,though they did take Sting away from me as well around the same time so that sucks. Immediately had Rock debut as a heel going by his real name and he won the title from RVD at Starrcade, which also saw Goldberg hand Joe his first loss in the company, a heel turn from Punk on Palombo to win the US title and Bryan Danielson winning the CW title from Kidman.

2003 has so far had more changes as Punk has been pushed straight into the main event scene with a feud with RVD (Punks straight beliefs vs the awesome pothead), Joe v Vampiro and we even signed Jushin Liger! Liger I was surprised NJPW let him go until I discovered NJPW has huuuuuge money problems to the point that they were the 49th (out of 51) richest company so to keep them afloat, I bought them out and have them as a child company though I haven't done much with them yet apart from sending some developmental guys over there for experience. Not sure how realistic that it is but I figured it's better than letting them go out of business as well. Around March, a load of contracts were due up for us and WWE - I tried snagging Eddie Guerrero, the Hardys, Paul Heyman and Rhino and only ended up with Matt Hardy in the end They also took Booker T, Sean O'Haire and Chavo Guerreo off me which is utterly annoying and Jarrett/DDP have both gone as well though that's mostly because I have literally nothing for Double J to do and DDP needs to retire at this point. I'm kind of hoping Jarrett ends up in TNA though I've a feeling they might be too small for him, don't know.

In any event, losing more people means we need to ramp up the promotion of some other guys. Punk scored the first ever victory over Goldberg since he returned though it was a dirty finish with Colt Cabana helping Punk win the match, Punk's formed a new stable ''Generation Next'' with Cabana, Austin Aries and Chris Hero and have them feuding with Goldberg, RVD, Dustin Rhodes so far and may add in Mysterio as well, feud should last up until Fall Brawl concluding in the first War Games match on this save. I'm planning on having Rock hold the title until Starrcade so he gets one full year as champ and he's easily the best guy I have for promos/matches though I'm not sure who I want taking the belt off him yet. Punk is an easy choice but I don't know if I want a heel champion after just having a year long heel champion, which is the same with Joe who is a heel as well. I know I want to run Goldberg/Rock at some point though I'm not sure if I want to do it at Starrcade or not, not sure if it's Goldberg I want having the rub of being the guy to dethrone the Rock. I'm only in June so I've got time to figure it out.

Enjoying the save and it's damn fun trying to rebuild up WCW and get to the point of challenging/overtaking WWE, which we're a long way off doing as they're ridiculously OP.

Status

Nice synopsis, Pinkman.

That is one of my favorite time-periods to play around with, either in TEW or a BTB. I actually did up a tweaked version of the 2K1 WCW Lives mod with a specific ownership scenario, some rebalancing, etc. There is even less WCW talent to work with so its all about building new stars.

So I did manage to book a decent amount of BCG over the Christmas break I had. But on the drive to visit family for Christmas, I found myself mulling TCW. So I'm through April in BCG but haven't played it in the past few days. Its feeling a bit repetitive (as a puro company is wont to do) and I haven't done a proper save on TEW2016 with either TCW or the SWF.

TCW is a company I've always loved. With Cornell still there, simply headlining him over and over and over. Easy and fun. Without Cornell... its a different beast. You can still ride Golden, but he doesn't deliver quite the same in the ring. And unless you play as the owner and are willing to completely hamstring the company financially, you lose your stars. They will be stolen by the SWF, USPW and SOTBPW. The only real variance in this process is the randomness of contact durations. So the key being successful is building up a new generation of stars. TCW has a few in-house already and the Cverse offers plenty more talents to develop. Some aspects of that appeal.... but some don't.

Then I ended up poking around in the Cverse 2005 mod. Its better than I realized. SQ is a bit high overall, but it just looks fun.

I've probably explained this before. But.... I first found TEW on TEW 2007. I was actually into MMA in a big way at that point and didn't really watch wrestling then, so I was looking for an MMA game. Found WMMA. Liked it. But a lot more people were playing TEW so I gave it a try. I bought 2007 even though 2008 was coming out soon. And I fell in love. Got me back into wrestling. My first diary/BTB project was SWF on 2008. Looking back, I hate a lot of things I did on that save because I just didn't really know any better, but it was also loads of fun.

Looking through the Cverse 2005 mod, there is a lot that's appealing. Its before the death of Dave and Violence Extreme. Its before the INSPIRE exodus impacted Burning Hammer. PGHW and NOTBPW are both still A* match machines. USPW and SOTBPW aren't powerhouses yet. Sam Keith hasn't been fired from the SWF. Strong hasnt' taken over USPW and is still with TCW. Liberty hasn't left TCW for USPW. There is so much young talent that you can grab, including an undeveloped Rocky Golden, already world class Champagne Lover, and so on.

The CV05 could be good fun. I'm not sure I want to do TCW - its not so much a rebuild that's required as to actually build them up. That feels a bit similar to what they require in 2016. Burning Hammer would be interesting, especially as I just realized that you can grab a lot of the top guys from WLW, who are or turn into amazing super juniors. But not sure another puro company is where I want to go. But looking over the SWF.... now that's appealing.

Its not the same SWF as I booked in 2008. Jack Bruce hasn't on the title yet. Christian Faith is a bit closer to his prime. Skull DeBones isn't ready to headline. But it would definitely feel more similar than booking them in 2016 does. It wouldn't be a particularly challenging save - the starting roster is strong and there is $25 million in the bank to start. Its impossible to match PGHW and NOTBPW for match quality, but I don't imagine getting regular B+ and A shows would be that hard. Pushing the likes of Rich Money, Remo, Lobster Warrior, and Angry Gilmore up to the top of the card gradually just sounds fun. Open one or two developmental companies, then filling it with the likes of Rocky Golden, Marat Khoklov, Big Cat Brandon, Valiant, Jack Giedroyc, Shooter Sean Deeley.... I'm sure I will just bloat the roster and have too much talent to keep things coherent.... but it still seems fun.

Not certain which direction I'm going to go. Have a feeling the SWF save will win out, at least for a run out. Maybe the 2005 mod isn't as solid and balanced as it looks and that will kill the save. But can't know unless I give it a proper try.

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

How about doing for Hollyweird Championship Grappling what you usually do for WCW in a 97 game

I really hope TEW 2020 is a faster game than its predecessors with drastically less clicks and an easier way of progressing.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jon View Post
    How about doing for Hollyweird Championship Grappling what you usually do for WCW in a 97 game

I really hope TEW 2020 is a faster game than its predecessors with drastically less clicks and an easier way of progressing.
    I've honestly never had a solid save in CV97. I like the mod and its brilliantly done. But just haven't fallen for a specific promotion in that time period.

I have the same hopes, to be honest. Even adopting the layout from the latest WMMA game will help in that regard, at least a bit. A bigger layout allows more direct click options rather than having stuff in sub-menus.

Status

So today's TEW 2020 feature announcement is a revamp of the sizing and growth system. I like it, at least in theory. The intent seems to be to make things a bit more fluid and realistic. That's a big thumbs up from me. No more "regional importance dropping by 1%, causing you to drop to Cult" frustrations.

Spent a wonderful New Year's Day chilling and gaming. And spent some time on TEW, but it was just adding about 300 more Cverse free pics. Still leaning towards doing an SWF save in Cverse 2005. I always find running a Sports Entertainment company fairly fun and easy, especially if the company has adequate overness on the roster. And the SWF does. So should make for some fun. Might fuck around and post a few of the ideas I wanna run with just cuz fuck it, why not?

Status

Triple posty goodness.

So my take on the Supreme Wrestling Federation is fairly similar to Attitude Era WWE. The product makes it pretty similar. I don't like going quite as far as some of the Attitude Era stuff does, and the booking is a bit more logical. So its almost closer to the Ruthless Aggression era. I view the booking as good but pretty basic. It would be viewed as typically too straight forward, to the point of being boring at times, by the companies critics. They hit on a great storyline here and there but keeping things basic and logical has a downside and its a different problem than the WWE's booking problems.

Some of my ideas, some of which are based on what actually happened in Cverse canon and some of which are based on dynamics I used/had in my SWF diary project back in the day....

-Skull DeBones is a big badass dude with skull facepaint. Basically a combination of Kane and Undertaker. I'm pretty sure that the canon had him turning on Christian Faith and using a chain to assault him, turning heel and becoming Vengeance. In the 2005 mod, he's still a babyface and needs some development so I will likely use him in a tag team with Faith for the first while before following through with that turn and name-change. Teaming him with Faith should see his skills increase.

-as per usual, I will open at least one developmental company. Quite likely two. In canon, the SWF opened RIPW in later 2006. I am considering moving the open date forward and then opening one other company. If I leave RIPW to open when it actually did, it won't be connected to the SWF.

-one of my favorite dynamics in the SWF diary project was the friendship between Rich Money and Remo. They were two of my favorite characters and so fun to write. Money is probably my favorite character in any diary/BTB project ever - I based him on the "Magnificent Bastard" trope. Basically a magnificently talented bad guy who is so good you have to appreciate them. Remo was more of a straight-forward badass. But the fun part is that they have a legit long-term friendship. They work together and Remo isn't really a #2, despite the prominence of Money. A long-term dynamic I wanted to run with was teasing them feuding with each other, but never actually pulling the trigger. On-screen friendships in wrestling exist mostly to establish future feuds, but not this one. Even if one of them turned and they did wrestle, it would be done with love and respect. So this is definitely something I'm running with. Both would end up as eventual world champions if the save runs that far. In the dairy, I had them aligned with both Emma Chase and with a youngster stable led by Davis Wayne Newton.

-some of the notable talent in DAVE isn't available. But I can steal the likes of Emma Chase and Big Cat Brandon. so I fucking well will. In canon, Big Cat was subject of a major bidding war between SWF and TCW after DAVE closed and he debuted as "Big Money" Brandon James. Gonna go that direction, but he needs a bit of development, so he might go to one of the developmental companies while Emma hypes him up for a month or two.

-Chase will eventually form the Chase Agency, but she will be a catalyst for the heels to rally around. She is an excellent manager and fantastic Sex Appeal, but I like to use her as an aggressive sports agent type of manager, rarely relying on her sexiness. She will associate Big Money with Money & Remo, and possibly with some other heels. Not a formal stable, but more of a "working agreement" type of deal. Sam Keith will probably be associated as well, and I'm hopeful he keeps wrestling until his sons debut cuz I wanna run a Keith Triumvirate stable. Will likely involve Emma Chase in Eric Eisen's eventual heel turn whenever I decide to finally pull the trigger on it. I don't know if I'll make Jon happy and give EE a world title run like he got in canon, but his personality makes him less of a pain to deal with and his daddy owning the company makes for a fun dynamic.

-the starting world champion is Runaway Train, who is not a great worker and not young, but his Menace means he should build popularity fairly easily. Biggest question is how quick I take the belt off of him. Pretty sure it was Jack Bruce who took it, and will likely do the same. Could give Faith one more run (don't think he had any more in canon), but will depend.

-the starting roster is full of young tag teams. I will probably add a few more. Makes for some fun booking.

-the amazing "Underwater Union" stable are still a thing. Not settled on how I will break them up, but I am absolutely keeping Lobster Warrior in the gimmick. For those who don't really know the Cverse, Lobster Warrior is an immensely talented worker who isn't quite world champion material in a company like the SWF.... but he's close. And he wrestles in a lobster costume. His stable is a dude in squad costume and a dude in a shrimp costume. Its absurd but is fun, and I like the idea of just playing it straight.

-my forever problem in TEW is bloating the roster. I will 100% bloat the roster on this save. I can raid a lot of talent from DAVE, USPW, NOTBPW, CGC... some guys who aren't available down the road. I will have to pick and choose at least a bit. Lots of the talent doesn't need to go to development, so I don't want a roster of 75 guys a month in. I will be adding a B show, but I would rather not add a second A show and/or brand split. I did that in my diary save but I would just prefer to stay as one roster. One guy I really wanna build up and have fun with is Champagne Lover, an immensely talented Mexican wrestler who becomes one of the Cverse's biggest stars later as he stars in a Mexican tele-novel series. Basically, he's like a Mexican version of The Rock. I get a grin just thinking about how fun a character like that could be to book.

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Honestly, there's a ton of potential with SWF but I've ground out of being into sports entertainment-type of companies. Nevertheless, I was always a big fan of guys like Remo and Frehley, and would've loved to use them. The idea of a female Paul Heyman in Emma Chase has always been attractive. And hyper charismatic guys like Christian Faith, Champagne Lover (if you get him), and Jack Bruce going at it will be all sorts of awesome.

Sad you won't be giving Lobster Warrior an early heel turn. I just love the idea of World Champion Chris Morrisette (or whatever he's called).

Also, you should do a World Cup and have Eric Eisen win it over a bunch of over the hill legend and two up and comers.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jon View Post
    Honestly, there's a ton of potential with SWF but I've ground out of being into sports entertainment-type of companies. Nevertheless, I was always a big fan of guys like Remo and Frehley, and would've loved to use them. The idea of a female Paul Heyman in Emma Chase has always been attractive. And hyper charismatic guys like Christian Faith, Champagne Lover (if you get him), and Jack Bruce going at it will be all sorts of awesome.

Sad you won't be giving Lobster Warrior an early heel turn. I just love the idea of World Champion Chris Morrisette (or whatever he's called).

Also, you should do a World Cup and have Eric Eisen win it over a bunch of over the hill legend and two up and comers.
    I haven't done an actual SE company for awhile. I'm not burned out on puro companies - just finding progress slow and so it becomes repetitive.

So much about the SWF in 2016 just doesn't resonate with me. Not that I dislike how the Cverse has evolved so much as I don't want to deal with the negative issues that it presents.

Chris Morrisette is his real name, I believe. The Strangler is what he works under in 2016. And a heel turn is a possibility at some point. I'm just not in a rush to do it. I like keeping the really talented worker in a goofy-ass gimmick for awhile. Much like I have no intention of ever renaming the Bumfhole brothers. Cannot do it.

I totally could do that with Eric.... but I don't lol. The goal is to not just do all of the many many many stupid things that the WWE does.

Quite sure I can land Champagne Lover. I remember doing so on 2008 and he's younger in the mod, and I'm pretty sure that SOTPOW are smaller to boot. He will need time to get his popularity up. But man, once he does.... The angles that the top guys can do makes it fun and pretty easy.

In developmental, I can have the likes of Rocky Golden, Marat Khoklov, Joey Minnesota, Nicky Champion, Mainstream Hernandez, Big Cat Brandon.... That is a whole lot of Star Quality sitting there.

Status

So I was messing around last night. Created a narrative that financially crashed DAVE at the start of 2007. Ran a test and they lasted a couple of months past then before they died. Not too far from canon. But I deleted the narrative. Enough companies die and DAVE staying around is cool rather than bothersome. PGHW and Burning Hammer are absolutely A* match machines. NOTBPW too. Burning Hammer actually does lose Kikkawa, who forms INSPIRE, but BH ended up signing one of the PGHW stars and that was a difference-maker for them. TCW do pretty well, but they don't have the finances to compete with the SWF, who grab who they want for the most part.

The only edit I am likely to do is adjusting the opening date of RIPW ahead a few months, so its already a child promotion of the SWF right from the start. Otherwise it pops up as another small promotion and dies before too long.

One thing I always do before a save like this is find real world talent to compare the fictional workers to. They don't have to direct and complete comparisons, but just basic ones. I have always felt that it helps me to connect to a promotion if I a good conception of not just the look and feel of the company product, but also at least the main stars on the roster. What does a Tommy Cornell promo look and sound like? What does a Christian Faith match look like? Connecting to real workers makes that easier. And changing up the real world worker you connect them to can really change how you view and use a particular worker. For a long time, I used to connect Christian Faith to John Cena - very charismatic brawlers who aren't very technical but can put on a great storyline match. Awhile back, I switched it to a heavier DDP and Faith just feels different now.

So when I can't actually mess around on TEW, I'm mulling some of those connections. One particular one I switched up is Sam Keith. A technical middleweight who became a star for the biggest Sports Entertainment company despite not being a great promo. A blond version of Bret Hart, or a Ric Flair without the mic skills. But what about an older, less athletic Zack Sabre Junior? I can imagine Keith being more dynamic and athletic when he was younger - he did win a title in Mexico, after all. Now that he's past 40, he's turned into the grumpy dad version and slowed down a bit.

The one main roster guy I'm mulling the most is Enygma. He's a masked muscular middleweight who got over with an undefeated streak, won the world title, but then kinda tanked when he finally lost. In canon, he never really recovered, moved down the card a bit and ended up being the first big signing that USPW made once Sam Strong took over (or possibly second, as Tyson Baine might have been first). He's actually the most over person on the SWF roster and he's decent in the ring, but not amazing. I cannot imagine keeping him as my top babyface. Jack Bruce is just too good. Christian Faith is pretty amazing. Steve Frehley needs some building, but he's wicked awesome. I will probably job Engyma down a bit toward the upper midcard and he can float there. I doubt we emulate canon as Sam Strong doesn't end up at USPW and they don't grow much. But I'm struggling to decide on someone to connect Enygma to. they don't have to be masked, which means he could basically be any reasonably solid middleweight wrestler, but I keep trying to think of masked wresters regardless lol. Open to suggestions.

The lack of USPW canon growth is something I considered trying to adjust the mod to allow for, but its honestly not worth it.

Lastly, I wasn't intending to create a cruiserweight division for the SWF. I do it for so many companies and its fun, but bloats the roster. But looking over who I can land who are lightweight.... I'm awfully tempted. Champagne Lover will eventually be a heavyweight guy, but he starts out at lightweight. Cliff Wilson aka Dark Angel tends to be signed up on a Written deal by Burning Hammer and he becomes a key guy for them. Which doesn't harm Supreme. But someone with his talent..... He reminds me of a face-paint Will Osprey. Dark Angel and Champagne Lover would made for a great division alone, but Hell Monkey is available and he is awesome. Not to mention Acid, Black Eagle, Mainstream Hernandez, Jacob Jett, plus the guys already on the starting roster like Elmo Benson, Groucho Bling, the Bumfhole's.... In an SE company, I've learned to look past pure in-ring ability and try to focus on Star Quality, character and entertainment skills for the most part. But a blow-away talent with a cool character still has value. Especially if they are intended to be nothing more than a strong midcarder. Same reason that SWF has Enforcer Roberts on the roster forever and why I might grab someone like Bryan Holmes. Your reliable backbone type workers.

Certified G

Status

So been playing more since I'm not back into Uni till next week and works schedule has been light enough, made it to Starrcade 2003.

Decided I'd run AJ Styles/Dwayne Johnson/CM Punk as the headliner with AJ going over Rock and running Styles/Punk for the title throughout 2004. Ran the storyline initally with Punk wanting AJ to join Generation Next but AJ turns him down, leading to Punk/AJ having a match at Halloween Havoc and ending in a double countout. Punks attitude has been growing more and more toxic backstage throughout all of this as he's established himself as a main eventer with him/Cabana causing fights, tried fining them but nothing noteworthy came out of it. For whatever reason, Punk threw a hissy fit over the double countout finish and to try and appease him, gave him wins in back to back Nitros following Havoc and then he...hands in his release request, deny it but he now informs me he's sitting out the rest of his contract. Bollock.

Had to let him go, not going to bother paying somebody who I can no longer use and he immediately signs with the WWE. Damn him.

In any event, Starrcade was a roaring success - we got our highest show rating (a 97), highest buyrate and attendence. AJ defeated Dwayne cleanly in the main event to hand him his first loss in WCW and to end his year long reign as worlds champion,bit disappointed it didn't get our highest ever match rating but it still did incredibly well with a 95.

Also made a good few signings - Jerry Lawler came in to be a manager for the debuting Nigel McGuinness and we signed Scott Steiner, Kevin Nash and Mick Foley away from the WWE. Nash is on time decline but I only signed him to a six month contract so he'll be putting over people like Cena to make them into main eventers, not too bothered if he gets pissed about it. I haven't really done much with Cena outside of teaming with BG James as a kind of mentor/mentee tag team but he's developed ridiculously well and I think by the end of 2004 he should either be world champion or at least on the cusp of it much like in real life. Foley, I'm planning to use much like how he's used in real life with him coming in from time to time to put over people and maybe used in a authority figure role, right now I'm planning a feud for him vs Abyss to set up AJ Styles v Abyss further down the road.

2004 should be a good year with AJ on top, he won't have a year long reign but he'll have a good reign - Chris Hero is also on the verge of main eventing and we should be seeing the likes of Cena, Bryan Danielson, Austin Aries, Chris Daniels and Abyss being featured talent to supplement with AJ, Joe etc. on top. Somehow Lance Storm has a really high pop too, I'm not sure how but he's nearly a main eventer Might use him as a gatekeeper role for people moving up. Gave Rock six months off with the idea of him shooting some Hollywood movie just to keep it somewhat realistic, not sure what he'll do when he returns in the summer yet.

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

Warning, wall of text under the spoiler in case anyone cares how my latest save is going.

Spoiler:

So over the past month-ish I got into one build in the 2013 version - I switch between 2016 and 2013 at the tip of a hat because idk - and it's turned out... surprisingly good? Usually when I get an idea I either give up within a day or lose track of what I'm doing and end up accidentally ruining any plans I may have but I've kept focus and even created a spreadsheet to remind me of who's at what level, what my plans for them are, etc.

Started a save on easy difficulty, so the company I've created is cult-sized and has a not insignificant amount of money. Product is more wrestling-focused, gender doesn't matter, and it's family friendly enough to score good sponsorship points. As with many of my failed ideas, I've focused on attempting to create stars out of absolute nobodies, so all the in-ring workers I signed could not have had more than 1 years experience. We're talking Joe Schmoe who literally just tripped through the ropes and his buddy Ezy Stevie who just came along to laugh at people falling down. All unemployed workers in either their rookie or first year, signed to a written contract and sent to developmental. Normally this would give me only, say, 15-ish wrestlers to work with, but I've turned off all areas outside of USA, so I've also been able to hire rookie workers who would normally be signed to Canadian or Mexican feds but still able to work in the US. It's probably cheating a little bit, playing on easy and turning off everything outside of the US, but I figured I'll either give up again and put the strap on Achilles The Mighty or get super-into it. Hopefully both.

So. Anyway. About 30 wrestlers, give or take, have been signed to written contracts for 10 years - going for the long haul - and sent to the newly-created developmental company to make these trash workers less trash. Some are not entirely happy - Doctor Michael O'Haire & The Silencer, usually decent enough hands in past plays, both seem to think they're as good as they can be at their ages, but a brief check at the developmental reports indicate otherwise - but I ain't budging, ain't gonna let anyone back into the main roster until the developmental report states they're as good as they're ever going to get. WORKRATE YO.

Out-of-the-ring, I've gone through the same focus with commentary and referees. Not so much road agents, but I eventually settled on Ed Monton as my sole road agent, high psychology & reputation plus a good influence backstage is a bonus. His contract was the one I paid most for, while everyone else is no-one and can be brought for 200 bucks a month, Ed Monton ain't so cheap. But I'm getting my money's worth and sending him to developmental to train the others. I don't know if that helps increase skill gains but it seems like the right thing to do.

So perhaps unsurprisingly, all this has taken a not-insignificant chuck out of my finances. I'm relying on sponsorship to keep my afloat until I have enough wrestlers who have reached their 'as good as they'll ever get' level, and I lost a good amount of money for a few months straight, but less so with each passing month as sponsorship grew and my developmental company succeeded in not being awful. Got lucky enough for the developmental company to score a PPV contract - it's ridiculously small but it'll help the workers gain exposure and popularity, plus a bit of extra income that way ain't bad. It seemed to be going well, but I couldn't rely on sponsorship money forever and while I was getting a bit more of it each month, it wasn't enough to offset the finances. My money was going down the drain, and unless Coca-Cola decided to randomly sponsor this wrestling company that had yet to hold a wrestling event, I was going to be doomed. DOOMED, I SAY.

At this point in time, due to not having any shows, my company went from Cult to Local, with a few weeks before it would hit rock bottom and no-one would know the name of the company of which I had already forgotten (there was a 50/50 chance I named this company by mashing my palm on the keyboard and making whatever acronym I could so that's my usual planning style for you). I had to do something, and since I couldn't kidnap Tommy Cornell and hold him hostage, I did the unthinkable, and hosted a wrestling show.

Out of the 30-ish wrestlers I had in developmental, I called up twelve, booked the event, and hoped for the best. I didn't need it to be a rousing success, just not an abysmal failure. I made a spreadsheet of every worker's current skill levels and worked out mathematically which was the best talents at the time, by converting their current skill grades into a number, adding all numbers together, and finding out who was close enough to a passable wrestler. So F- was worth zero points, F one, F+ two, and so on, so forth. I made a system and I have no idea if it works but dangit I put half an hour into making this system so by god I'm going to use it or die trying.

So anyway, the CHOSEN ONES are brought up, the event happens, and... It's a E+ event. Which isn't exactly good, but not bad either. Immediately send the workers back to developmental, and wait another month to see whether it was enough to save me or not. Spoiler: It was, albeit barely. Six months in-game, the only show I've held recieved an E+ rating, and I'm barely staying afloat .

But then something happens. I get a boost in sponsorship money, probably from the one show I had, and it's enough to keep me afloat for another month. I hold another local show just to play it safe, and it's another E+ show but at this point I'm just delighted that my roster full of Austin Smooths and Phobias aren't setting each other on fire so I'm taking it happily. This becomes a regular thing for about a year in-game, one local event every two months with the best talent who immediately get sent back to developmental afterwards. After that, I've made a surprisingly good amount of money, so I decide 'fuck it' and fast forward a year to fast-forward my worker's skill growth, and to see wether I can survive a year at that point relying on sponsorship money only.

Turns out I could.

I'm not earning a lot of money, but the ball's been rolling for a while and it's pretty good. I check my developmental workers - still lots of room for improvement - so I do it again.

And again.

And again.

Four years without a show, all workers still in developmental, and I'm still earning good money through sponsorship. I could retire like this and be a wealthy man.

It eventually gets to a point where 12 of the 30 workers are 'as good as they're ever going to get' so I decided to call them up to the main roster, give them a bonus to quell anyone upset with being stuck in developmental for three years - yes, I hear you, Quentin Queen, shut up - and put together a first official show. Wouldn't you know, it's a solid C-. Pretty good, considering. I host one event per month with my graduated workers, and slowly but surely rise up through the ranks. Grow from Local to Small, but the next batch of top workers are still working on their skills so I call them up, put them on the show, then immediately send them back down. No-ones on the main roster for good until I read 'as good as they're ever going to get' on their developmental status.

This continues as the months roll by and turn into another few years. At this point I start to add storylines to my shows. Take the top half of my main roster workers, put them in storylines against each other, have them face the lesser half of my roster for three months straight while their rivals go on commentary to keep the storyline going and build momentum. Fourth month, rivals face off, feud ends, everyone gets a boost since at that point both have 'fairly good' to 'good' momentum. The less-talented workers are only used to build up the more talented workers, until the next batch of main roster callups come in and they might rise up. Who knows. Point being, I've got a good strategy going, havn't run into any major problems since the close run with bankruptcy, and have a good amount of money saved up. Seven years in, still going strong, average show is starting to be either C+ or B- on a good day, and I've gotten to a Regional level. Nice.

The only thing that made me pause for a few minutes was a situation with Andes Thunder, who is not exactly a stellar worker in any definition of the word. Absolutely within the lesser-half of the main roster group, forever an enhancement talent, but I limited myself to only signing people in his experience bill, so whatever, I'll leave with it. Point being, he gets popped for steroids, which is roughly about as groundbreaking as the sun coming up in the morning. I fine him, send him along, and guess what happens next month? Popped for steroids. Another fine, throw half his paycheck to charity, and I hope it doesn't happen again. Surprise! Another month goes by and the guy is caught with a needle embedded in his ass cheek. Fuckin' hell, Andes. I'm done with him, I'm ready to fire him, but he's a positive influence backstage and firing him would bring the backstage morale down to under 70%, which would give a penalty to every worker and their match. So I give him one more chance. It's his last chance, if he's caught on the juice again I'm going to kick him out the door so fast that needle mark will be replaced by a bootprint. A month goes by, I drug test him, and wait for the results...

He's clean.

Another month goes by, another drug test. Still clean. A third month, another test. No traces. Did this backne-ridden mofo actually learn his lesson? Didn't think that would happen at all but it's been six months now and he still hasn't been popped so... people change, I guess. Hooray. Now if I can get Leopard King to stop farting the locker room out, I'll consider this save more than a rousing success.

Sidenote: While we're comparing C-Verse workers to real life workers the first one I found that I immediately connected with was Remmy Skye to Jeff Hardy. The hand symbols, the hair, the drug usage in the past, it all fit. So naturally on a different save I thought 'cool', signed him up, gave him the top title, and he immediately got busted for soft drugs. I couldn't even pretend to be surprised.

♫ ~ Anywhere, just not here ~ ♫

Status

Love the recaps, Pinkman and Wolf.

I've read about the sponsorship trick. Don't think I've seen someone combine it with developmental company, though.

I put some TEW time in this weekend. Was.... sorta productive? I booked a couple of shows with the SWF in the Cverse 2005 mod. The starting overness of the roster makes it kinda like "easy mode" in a lot of ways. I made a couple of mistakes (like not seeing a notification that TC was also bidding for Emma Chase and thereby losing her to TCW) and will likely start over it... if I decide to go with that mod. Also realized that I probably won't land Cliff Wilson / Dark Angel - he's an epic super junior talent that I was thinking would be an anchor in the cruiserweight division, but he has a fair bit of popularity in Japan and Burning Hammer are willing to offer him a ton of money. Seems wrong to give a guy with like C popularity in the USA a $35K per week contract.

The fun part and the downside to the mod is that its a straight port of the Cverse from 2005. Its definitely had a lot of work put into it. But it hasn't been rebalanced, in terms of popularity and skills. That's a huge part of its charm. But its also its primary drawback. The CornellVerse has evolved quite a bit over the years, and a lot of workers being slowly nerfed. They are way fewer world class workers in 2016 compared to 2005. There are significantly fewer workers - both prospects and established stars - with A* Star Quality. Part of the gradual nerfing is that workers don't need to have elite attributes to be really effective. So when there are a ton of workers with elite skillsets and popularity.... A* matches for everyone! PGHW, Burning Hammer, and NOTBPW churn them out regularly. I'm sure it won't be that hard to hit quite a few in the SWF. I could tell just by looking at the Cverse 2005 data that it was going to be fun and comparatively easy - that was part of the charm. But seeing just how easy it will be, now I'm hesitating.

Instead of starting the second save with the SWF in 2005, I poked around. I considered other options.

TCW 2005 - nah, not that appealing. The thought of booking Tommy Cornell will never NOT appeal to me, but the roster is just too.... shit. There is Cornell, Ricky Dale Johnson, Troy Tornado, Bryan Vessey, Wolf Hawkins and Rick Law. They do have Liberty, but he tends to leave for the SWF as soon as he can. And also Sam Strong (who is retired), Peter Valentine, BLZ Bubb, Genghis Rahn, the rest of Painful Procedure... dross. Just shit. Of course, the fun and challenge is signing up indy guys (sorry DAVE) and developing them to replace, which has its appeals. But dealing with a roster that is half-shit that I don't want to deal with just doesn't appeal to me significantly. A small but annoying factor - given his age and starting personality, pushing Wolf Hawkins to any degree results in him developing a very negative personality (same thing happens in SWF 2005 with Remo). I find saves that are about what I want to build them into and almost not at all about what they are to start with tend to die quickly with me, because the process of getting from where they are to where they can be takes time. Maybe I give it a shot at some point, but its not the most appealing right now.

Burning Hammer 2005 - the 2016 version of Burning Hammer appeals to me much more. Trying to battle against PGHW as they score an A* match or two no every single card.... no thanks. Even if means having Kikkawa in his prime and Nakasawa before he is a star.

TCW 2016 - I've eyeballed them a few times. But as I've said before, the battle is just a race against time as you lose your top stars to the SWF, USPW, SOTBOW, and even NOTBPW. So you raid the fuck out of the indy scene, sign up the likes of Greg Gauge, Davis Wayne Newton, the Ring Generals, Mr. Lucha III, and the like. And just watch the expiry dates of your stars as they go elsewhere and become mega stars. Its not a horrible idea, on paper but it just seems that every time I start up with TCW, it looks like a predictable grind before I even start booking shows.

SWF 2016 - I haven't really considered them for a while. So poked around and came up with a couple of story arc ideas for Valiant and Spencer Spade. But it doesn't feel THAT different to TCW. You can still lose your stars - a test save I did recently had Valiant win the Wrestler of the Year in 2019.... after he left the SWF for SOTBPW. The main event scene is OLD. You have to deal with some shit, like Eric Eisen - at least in the 2005 version, he's young, his personality doesn't suck, and he doesn't have Creative Control. Its not that dealing with Double E is that shit - he makes an easy compelling character on-screen - but its just another thing to have to deal with.

Burning Hammer 2016 - the most appealing option in a lot of ways. But just don't want to right now. Watching more New Japan will make me want to do this save more, but I'll wait a bit so I don't burn out on booking puro.

I think it really comes down to not liking where the US wrestling scene is in the Cverse 2016. Basically, USPW and SOTBPW are really predictable in their approach. Both the SWF and TCW are now in the kind of position other companies have been previously. But at the same time, no historical mods are really calling out to me and I don't find the ThunderVerse any more appealing at this point. But I just can't settle on the company and time-period.

When I started typing this mini-novella, I figured SWF 2005 would be it. But having typed it out, SWF 2016 appeals a bit more again. I think I need to start it up and actually book it for a bit. Scratch that itch, so to speak. The two SWF versions (and Burning Hammer 2016) are the ones where I have actual plans rather than just ideas. Actual feuds and story arcs I would like to play out.

Doubting El Dandy

Status
      Country                    UK

So after watching WK, I got the Puro urge and started booking BHOTWG (in 2013, never upgraded to 2016). Using Papa's awesome tips thread on the GDS forum, and some ideas that popped up in that thread, I spent ages putting together stables and working out exactly what story I wanted to tell. Got myself all excited with the possibilities, completely overloaded the roster (I'll never not be able to do that), and got ready for the first tour.

Within 6 shows (so about half a month), Mitsunari Fugunaga and Sanetomo Shiraishi had been such unbelievable pricks - turning up late, playing pranks, etc - that backstage morale completely tanked and ruined my match ratings. Between that and me wanting to book something like borderline realistic shows (lots of tag matches, not putting big names together all that regularly) I've failed to get a single show rating above my popularity, my momentum is spiraling, and am a couple of poor shows from dropping to Cult. Maybe I should stick to companies I know how to book...

But hey, should I somehow turn this around and start doing something worthwhile, I'll start sharing my progress if anyone's interested. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Status

Watching New Japan definitely does the same to me, Keef. And it honestly took me a bit to get a handle on booking puro.

I think it was in that 2013 tip thread, but when setting up your avatar, don't put any points into Creative. Put those points into Motivating, Leadership, or Diplomacy. I don't think it was a feature in 2013, but on 2016, you can try to create positive (or negative) relationships between workers, which is an easy way to jack up the backstage rating.

I flat out don't enjoy dealing with problematic workers. Some mods are so limited in your talent choice that there is no other option. Some workers are so talented that you basically have to put up with whatever they do - looking at you, late 90s Shawn Michaels. But workers like Fugunaga and Shiraishi.... fuck em. Get rid of em. Might be too late to salvage this save, but really not worth dealing with when they just aren't super talented. I like the look and idea of Fuganaga but he's really only mediocre.

Don't worry TOO much on show grades. As long as they aren't losing you popularity, its fine. On 2016, it took me about 2 months of shows to get the popularity of the top guys up a bit and raise the show grades to where they were consistently gaining us a bit of popularity. Some of those early shows even lost us a tiny bit of popularity, especially if the main event wasn't strong.

One trick I learned - and I don't know if this would still work on TEW 2013 or not - is that simple promo angles work way well with Burning Hammer. Basically, I wanted to emulate those short post-match promos that puro companies tend to do. I have a set of created angles that are basically the working on-screen, rated on Entertainment, talking about their rival, off-screen and rated on Overness. Then I have tag versions (same thing doubled), trio, etc. Despite not having great promo skills, the likes of Kikkawa and Nakasawa would get easy B+ or better grades for these running 6 minutes. I started using the tag version to include the seconds from their respective stables. Momentum for workers doing these shot way up, which helped their popularity shoot up. To the point where their gains feel like an exploit. Maybe not something to overuse if it works, but here and there.... its not an unrealistic angle to run. Might be worth trying even on 2013.

Status

So the Developer's Update this morning is regarding changing to the way shows are schooled. VERY MUCH LIKE THIS. Still hoping we get a real calendar as that will add an extra layer to it. But there are way more options for how shows are scheduled by the AI, which will allow for more variety in any mod and more accuracy in historical mods.

Starting to get a feeling that I'm just gonna say FUCK IT and start running a Burning Hammer 2016 save in the near future.

Realized I have another option that's partway between the Cverse 2005 throwback and the current 2016 version.... A ported 2014 Cverse. So TEW 2013 came with the 2013 version of the Cverse. Ryland then released Wrestling Spirit 4, which also uses the Cverse, with an update. He converted that over for TEW and released it as, essentially, DLC. It was before USPW got taken over and SOTBPW got huge, so generally, the SWF and TCW stay on top. Supreme still has Rich Money and Steve Frehley. TCW still has Tommy Cornell. That version was the first time I ran Burning Hammer of the Wrestling Gods, although its honestly not THAT different from the 2016 edition. I had converted it over awhile back but never finished it off. There isn't a ton of work required. I deleted all the broadcasters and imported them from 2016, then recreated the broadcast deals. I would have to check for missing workers and companies (there would be a few) and correct pictures for some people who got renamed. The only thing that would really be missing is that body size isn't set. So everyone is average. I would definitely not try to change that for everyone - just some main ones lol. But I'd rather play then fuck about in a mod at this point.

So after poking around in 2014 for a bit, I went back to the default 2016 CV and fired up an SWF save. Actually fired up several, as I tend to start a couple saves, and then pick one based on who is on Time Decline, Next Best Thing, etc. So did the typical things I always do - added a B show, added a second developmental company, hired some young workers. Looking at the Backstage, the preponderance of negative personalities reminded me why I haven't done Supreme on 2016 and why I might not go too far with this. But the overall backstage rating isn't that poor.

The main two story arcs I wanted to run are with Valiant and Spencer Spade. Pretty sure that Valiant has a long term contract in the save start I picked. Basically, gonna have him go through a series of shit over the course of 18 months or so, to test him and see if he can hold to his values that make him.... so... VALIANT. It will be a bit of a take-off of the "Man Under Pressure" canon storyline that the SWF ran for Jack Bruce thru 2009. That will cross over a bit with the other storyline, which is the build of Spencer Spade. He's a great prospect who starts in RIPW as the champ. I've always thought of him as a heel, but he starts as a face, so intent would be to run with that. He will come in gradually and won't get pushed too fast. But he will tag with Valiant some (assuming they have no negative chemistry) and Valliant's manager Hannah will take Spade under her wing. Eventually, she leaves Valiant for Spade, which is just one of the tests that Valiant has to pass. It won't be a "steals his manager/woman" deal as I don't want to use it to turn Spade heel.

Some other ideas/plans I have.... Jack Bruce trying to show he's still the headliner.... Jimmy Hernandez being built up into a modern day Macho Man Randy Savage.... Skull DeBones bringing in Scythe and eventually being retired by him.... Captain Atomic fully embracing his nuclear-powered super powers... Has potential to be a very fun save, I think.

Doubting El Dandy

Status
      Country                    UK

I've had some super fun SWF games over the years. From a purely gaming point of view I get bored after a while, but the combination of getting to be whacky but with some really talented guys is always fun.

Love the idea of Valiant being put through the ringer. I remember after the Man Under Pressure cannon angle deciding to run it so Jack Bruce basically burns out, loses the belt and disappears. Meanwhile, Christian Faith tries to prove he still belongs and wins the belt from Eric Eisen, only to find Bruce return as a psycho vigilante (like if Sting had used his powers for bad in 96-97) and win the belt back. Had such a blast putting that together.

I'm going to try to continue with my BHOTWG save tonight to see if it's salvageable, but if it's not, I won't restart it. It just takes too long to set up all the stables and choose who to get in for tours, then book several nothing shows a week on the way to a handful of momentous shows each year. If I could just book the PPVs maybe it'd be different. I'm not sure what I'll end up doing, though, because I always end up in the same spiral. I pick a big company, have plans for the future, get bored with the present and get bored of the lack of a challenge, quit. Start a save with a small company, see someone like Angry Gilmore become available, get frustrated I can't sign them, quit. Start over with a big company. Rinse. Repeat.

Thinking I'll either continue with the rebuilding plan on NOTBPW, where practically everyone worth a shit and over is on time decline (and hence combines gameplay, long term planning and opportunity to hire decent people, even if it's a little easy), or go back and do a MAW game for the first time in forever, and try not to let the inevitable contract renewal of Rich Money not bother me. I keep getting tempted with JCP on the real world 1985 mod, but find it impossible not to accidentally overpush people and end up with Shawn Michaels as a main eventer in 1986, and that ends up a game killer. Decisions...

#GrimLove

Status
      Country                    Norway

I've been toying with modding the C-Verse to add a new company into the fold with this backstory:

Following his firing from SWF, Peter Michaels is enticed by eccentric billionaire and rookie wrestler Harris Mikkelson (think Ross Henry but instead of a football player he's Bill Gates), owner of Macrotech (my analog for Microsoft), to create a new company with his deep pockets. This company is Major League Wrestling (basically took their name and event names from real life events, such as Clash of the Champions, Starrcade, GAB, No Mercy, Judgement Day, etc.).

Although I've got the main roster set, I'm not exactly sure what size it should be, so I settled on Regional to fringe Cult size as kayfabe, they'd have marketed the shit out of this company with all the money they have.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    I've had some super fun SWF games over the years. From a purely gaming point of view I get bored after a while, but the combination of getting to be whacky but with some really talented guys is always fun.

Love the idea of Valiant being put through the ringer. I remember after the Man Under Pressure cannon angle deciding to run it so Jack Bruce basically burns out, loses the belt and disappears. Meanwhile, Christian Faith tries to prove he still belongs and wins the belt from Eric Eisen, only to find Bruce return as a psycho vigilante (like if Sting had used his powers for bad in 96-97) and win the belt back. Had such a blast putting that together.

I'm going to try to continue with my BHOTWG save tonight to see if it's salvageable, but if it's not, I won't restart it. It just takes too long to set up all the stables and choose who to get in for tours, then book several nothing shows a week on the way to a handful of momentous shows each year. If I could just book the PPVs maybe it'd be different. I'm not sure what I'll end up doing, though, because I always end up in the same spiral. I pick a big company, have plans for the future, get bored with the present and get bored of the lack of a challenge, quit. Start a save with a small company, see someone like Angry Gilmore become available, get frustrated I can't sign them, quit. Start over with a big company. Rinse. Repeat.

Thinking I'll either continue with the rebuilding plan on NOTBPW, where practically everyone worth a shit and over is on time decline (and hence combines gameplay, long term planning and opportunity to hire decent people, even if it's a little easy), or go back and do a MAW game for the first time in forever, and try not to let the inevitable contract renewal of Rich Money not bother me. I keep getting tempted with JCP on the real world 1985 mod, but find it impossible not to accidentally overpush people and end up with Shawn Michaels as a main eventer in 1986, and that ends up a game killer. Decisions...
    Good lord we are similar in how we save jump lol. I do much the same thing. Although I don't tend to do smaller companies that often, but I bounce around in what I want to do. Start a save of one type (say, serious wrestling) and enjoy it, but then see something going on in another company and wanna do that instead.

I also do the same thing with historical saves. I end up do something that is not really time-period accurate and that just ruins my interest in it enough that I tend to leave it, and then never go back to it. Its stupid - I need to realize its just a game, and if someone ends up being a star a couple years before they actually did or were actually ready... fuck it. But yeah.... it does end up bugging me.

That's a huge part of the appeal of Sports Entertainment companies and the SWF specifically.... you can do some really fun storylines. And have some real fun with characters.

I've always found booking a Sports Entertainment company pretty easy, so long as it has workers who have requisite overness for the company size. And the SWF definitely does. Book a few strong angles, book a main event with 2 main eventers going over 2 upper midcarders.... boom, easy B+ show grade. That allows you to just focus on having fun with the narratives you are creating.

One thing I've started doing more is having some fun creating characters. I was long guilty of just signing indy talent and keeping them as the same indy talent. I sign Kirk Jameson the technical wizard with a great look and he debuts as... Kirk Jameson the technical wizard with a great look. But booking Burning Hammer on TEW 2013, I started creating new super juniors and had some fun. Whether it was sticking a bland-looking worker under a cool mask or changing out the mask and gimmick of a luchadore who already had one, it created new and interesting dynamics. So now I tend to do that when bringing in indy talent. Not for everyone, but for some. Keeps it from feeling like the exact same worker every time you sign them.

I think I prefer a more serious company as a wrestling viewer. But when it comes to booking, they feel a bit more... constrictive. Something like TCW isn't bad, because they still have gimmicks and storylines. But once you get into more serious, straight-forward wrestling.... the structure of booking them can be fun, but the story arcs don't usually resonate to me quite the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Barrows View Post
    I've been toying with modding the C-Verse to add a new company into the fold with this backstory:

Following his firing from SWF, Peter Michaels is enticed by eccentric billionaire and rookie wrestler Harris Mikkelson (think Ross Henry but instead of a football player he's Bill Gates), owner of Macrotech (my analog for Microsoft), to create a new company with his deep pockets. This company is Major League Wrestling (basically took their name and event names from real life events, such as Clash of the Champions, Starrcade, GAB, No Mercy, Judgement Day, etc.).

Although I've got the main roster set, I'm not exactly sure what size it should be, so I settled on Regional to fringe Cult size as kayfabe, they'd have marketed the shit out of this company with all the money they have.
    Interesting idea. I've seen the question asked a few times about "how big could a company debut in this situation". I would generally say a company would debut at a cult level pretty rarely. But with a big enough star attached and/or enough heavy advertising, I don't think Cult is totally unreasonable. So if your backstory includes that kind of heavy advertising.... then yeah. It makes sense to moi

Status

So spent some time last night instead of FM or RDR2... got all the first-day stuff settled and booked thru the first week. Ah, the sweet joys of Sports Entertainment. I always forget how easy and fun this can be.

Just fill the show with a bunch of angles that advance the storylines and one or two others that are just there for "entertainment". Then fill in a few match matches. Boom, done. As I've mentioned before, my default promo angles are a series of simple created ones where the worker talks (based on Entertainment) about their opponent or rival (rated on Overness, off-screen), with some being supported by an interviewer. Simple and tends to grade well. Jack Bruce grabbed an A, and Remo pulled an A* grade in their respective promos. Even midcarders pulled solid grades like B. The main event was a tag (think it was Bruce and Gilmore over James and Double E) and pulled an A grade. Show was a B+ overall, but was pretty quick and painless to put together.

The main thing I want to avoid is just using those same promo angles all the time. They are meant to be straight-forward promos, either in-ring or backstage. Really, a fairly traditional old school style promo. But a show shouldn't be nothing but those promos. I don't tend to use a ton of attack or backstage angles anymore - even though my conception of the SWF is quite similar to the WWE Attitude Era, I just don't want things to be too chaotic with constant attacks (because overuse of anything reduces their impact) or illogical "magic camera" angles where everyone pretends their isn't a camera behind them capturing their evil plan. But things like vignettes, promo videos, and talk show segments are all things I figure can provide some diversity to the angles the show has.

Considering keeping the belt on Remo for the first while. The Valiant and Jack Bruce story arcs are both more interesting if they are chasing. Angry Gilmore will have a bit of a babyface Daniel Bryan vibe and he's more interesting chasing. Skull DeBones actually isn't on Time Decline on this save but his contract means he doesn't wrestle on TV, so he's a special attraction now. Joey Morgan isn't on that level yet and neither are the Bumfhole's. And any of the heels on level to take the belt (James, Crippler, Rogue, even Double E) are a step behind Remo in the overall of what they will deliver. So having him hold it for most of 2016 is entirely feasible.

Full Throttle Wrestling out of Chicago is the 2nd child promotion I opened. Accidentally opened it bigger than intended so it cost $250K instead of $100K. Whatever. Signed up a decent amount of talent for it. Bloating the roster a bit with some additions but they will fill out the B show, and be replacements for aging midcards who are declining, like Kurt Laramee, American Machine, etc. A chunk of time was spent picking out gimmicks for the new additions and re-charactering quite a few of them.

Thread Information