Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738

Thread: TEW 2016

#GrimLove

Status
      Country                    Japan

Re: TEW 2016

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Just curious Grim, which show do you see as your flagship event? I assume you're using the show names from the C-Verse right? I went with Americana as my version of Mania.
    I just took the name randomizer and am going with USPW Passing The Torch (May) as my flagship event.

Status

Looking good, Grim.

TEW 2020 was announced today but its a solid year away, if not 18 months. Ground up rebuild according to Ryland.

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Looking good, Grim.

TEW 2020 was announced today but its a solid year away, if not 18 months. Ground up rebuild according to Ryland.
    Thank the lord. I really hope this feels like a brand new game.

Status

I'm not sure how much of a "totally new game" it will feel like. I expect we will get the wider layout of WMMA, which allows for different and modifable layouts, so that will make a difference. I do expect the same basic graphics to be used. And interesting possibility, if its being done from the ground up, is the database being changed. But it can only change so much if it will still have a converter. so I'm thinking new game engine, and some of the specific modules. Some added complexity to the match grade calculation.

my biggest hope is that I get to beta test again.

Squash Fodder

Status

2020 being announced is exciting, there's so much available at his disposal to upgrade the game, looking forward to see what he does with it.

IMPACT! BTB; http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=170957&page=2&p=2103946137#post2103946137

No One

Status

I'm not sure how much of a "totally new game" it will feel like. I expect we will get the wider layout of WMMA, which allows for different and modifable layouts, so that will make a difference. I do expect the same basic graphics to be used. And interesting possibility, if its being done from the ground up, is the database being changed. But it can only change so much if it will still have a converter. so I'm thinking new game engine, and some of the specific modules. Some added complexity to the match grade calculation.

my biggest hope is that I get to beta test again.
    What are the top 5 changes you'd want changed/improved/added?

1. Real Calendar
    2. Fixed Touring Schedules
    3. Improved Regens
    4. Improved Broadcasting
    5. New Contract System

I want it to be common for guys working one or two appearances at any given indy without having to sign a full contract or being loaned there. I'm not sure the AI ever made much use of local hire/1-3 appearance hires. I want guys to be hot for moments at a time and to become in-demand on the market (a la PCO). And I just want much more complicated contracts in general with the possibility of adding a ton of clauses.

There's a ton of things I want for 2020 but I think those five are the biggest.

Status

Nice idea. A few for me....

Schedule - agree here. I remember there was an explanation a long time ago for why we get the TEW schedule the way we do, but I don't remember details so I can't be sure whether a ground up rework would make it workable. I'm hopeful.

Show Schedule - this just feels a bit clunky. It would be nice to tie it in better with the reworked broadcasters. Like why cant I have one click schedule setup for a touring company? A single button to "Set up Tour" which pops open a new menu. It has a box to write in the name of the tour, suggestion of how many shows per week and then it creates the weekly tour shows for you. If we get an actual schedule, maybe it can be switched from how many per week to how many in total for the period of the tour. And being able to specify different break periods from touring instead of just "this month" would be nice too.

Contracts - definitely need more options

Status

So the first announced feature is.... the functionality to allow users to run child companies.

Indifferent.

Highly requested feature, so no surprise at all. But doesn't do much for me. I understood why it wasn't in the game previously and can guarantee that there are going to people who run NXT and then cry about having workers called up in the middle of a storyline, etc. I just don't see it as being a particular fun way to play. I guess in some ways its not THAT different from running a smaller company and having any talent you sign be poached.

#GrimLove

Status
      Country                    Japan

Held the February PPV for USPW called "USPW Revenge 1996" and it was actually a surprising show.

Spoiler:

-[ANGLE] Scott Steiner Issues Open Challenge (80 Overall)
    - [ANGLE] A Masked Man Named The Rude Strangler Debuts (72)
    - The Rude Strangler Defeated Scott Steiner (73)
    - [ANGLE] Terry Gordy vs. Bam Bam Bigelow Hype Video (61)
    - Terry Gordy Beats Bam Bam Bigelow In A Texas Deathmatch (64)
    - [ANGLE] Bam Bam Bigelow Refuses Terry Gordy Handshake (64)
    - The Armstrongs Defeated Harris Brothers & Los Guerreros (45)
    - [ANGLE] Cactus Jack Promo on Rick Martel (71)
    - [ANGLE] Rick Martel Promo on Cactus Jack (71)
    - Cactus Jack Defeated Rick Martel (56)
    - [ANGLE] Carl Oullette Post-Match Attack on Cactus Jack (58)
    - Barry Windham Defeats Tully Blanchard (62)
    - [ANGLE] Tully Blanchard Post-Match Rant on Windham (62)

(65 Overall)

Scott Steiner is now involved in a storyline involving a rather mysteriously ravishing masked man named The Rude Strangler. It'll essentially be the masked man tricking and cheating to beat Steiner every which way until Scotty can get his hands on him and unmask the mysterious devil.

Cactus Jack was brought in from ECW and he'll actually be grouped into the Quake Myers vs. Carl Oullette storyling as Woman's other client. The rivalry is really just leading up to Jack & Quake vs. Martel & Oullette.

The other two storylines continue to chug on.

Haven't really had a plan for the tag division (aka the entire undercard), so I might just finally create a title for them to fight for.

No One

Status

So the first announced feature is.... the functionality to allow users to run child companies.

Indifferent.

Highly requested feature, so no surprise at all. But doesn't do much for me. I understood why it wasn't in the game previously and can guarantee that there are going to people who run NXT and then cry about having workers called up in the middle of a storyline, etc. I just don't see it as being a particular fun way to play. I guess in some ways its not THAT different from running a smaller company and having any talent you sign be poached.
    I've got a small group I play multiplayer with so this should freshen things up. Plus I'm not that fussed about growing companies and enjoy regional-sized games so playing with RIPW or a USPW dev or what not, sounds very fun to me. I'm actually mostly afraid that this feature will be lackluster (we'll end up having a dozen request for improvements on weak one).

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

I imagine it wouldn't be much different from a Cult+ sized company stealing away your current Top Guy TM to a written contract while you can only do PPA contracts? Although the tradeoff could be the parent company sending someone down for development and now you have to deal with fuckin' Everest stinking up your well-cared for developmental league.

I guess that would be the ideal thing. Half a roster of your own chosen unsigned talent, half that the parent company hired and want you to fine-tune, combination of freedom and desired goals. I wonder how much impact you yourself would have on their development, like can someone just not develop at all if you don't use them or will it automatically raise their stats in the background, just significantly slower?

Honestly I might actually dig it. Obviously I'll be annoyed when my groomed superstar is snatched up to die a E- gimmick death on the main roster but I like the idea of there being an endgame for top talent of yours so you're forced to freshen up and adjust the top scene more than usual.
    Last edited by Smooth Jazz Wolf; Today at 07:16 AM.
    THE POWER OF FLUFFY BOYS SHINE WITHIN YOU

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Jazz Wolf View Post
    I imagine it wouldn't be much different from a Cult+ sized company stealing away your current Top Guy TM to a written contract while you can only do PPA contracts? Although the tradeoff could be the parent company sending someone down for development and now you have to deal with fuckin' Everest stinking up your well-cared for developmental league.

I guess that would be the ideal thing. Half a roster of your own chosen unsigned talent, half that the parent company hired and want you to fine-tune, combination of freedom and desired goals. I wonder how much impact you yourself would have on their development, like can someone just not develop at all if you don't use them or will it automatically raise their stats in the background, just significantly slower?

Honestly I might actually dig it. Obviously I'll be annoyed when my groomed superstar is snatched up to die a E- gimmick death on the main roster but I like the idea of there being an endgame for top talent of yours so you're forced to freshen up and adjust the top scene more than usual.
    That's a good question - will skill increases still function the same as they do now, even if the user is running the child promotion? my guess is yes, but it might work a bit different.

And very true on it being similar to running a regional or small promotion and getting poached. If you approach it that way, its just part of the experience. That said, I do get the impression that some of those who are wanting this and desperate to run NXT won't approach it that way, so they will be complaining when the main roster does callups, exactly like should be expected. No different from when some people wanted an auto-booker added to the game and when it was added for TEW 2016, then complained when it didn't book exactly how they wanted it to. Don't get me wrong - auto-booker imperfect at first and remains a bit dicey, but expecting it to book exactly how you would is asinine.

No feature today, it seems. I am the sads.

No One

Status

That's a good question - will skill increases still function the same as they do now, even if the user is running the child promotion? my guess is yes, but it might work a bit different.

And very true on it being similar to running a regional or small promotion and getting poached. If you approach it that way, its just part of the experience. That said, I do get the impression that some of those who are wanting this and desperate to run NXT won't approach it that way, so they will be complaining when the main roster does callups, exactly like should be expected. No different from when some people wanted an auto-booker added to the game and when it was added for TEW 2016, then complained when it didn't book exactly how they wanted it to. Don't get me wrong - auto-booker imperfect at first and remains a bit dicey, but expecting it to book exactly how you would is asinine.

No feature today, it seems. I am the sads.
    I think, auto-booking wise, it would be cool if we could be more rigid in terms of how it books, to be honest. This is especially if you're in a more match-heavy company. I'd see it a lot like simming an FM game but having a tactic set-up that the assistant manager will use. It would also help with simulating other companies as well if you could get hyper-detailed. That said, I basically never used auto-booker anyways.

No One

Status

It just occurred to me that we're probably under appreciating the value of being able to play as a dev. Depending on the level of control you want over your promotion, then being able to add a second player and control your dev booking and sync it up to your main company could be pretty awesome. In that respect, I could 100% see me using WWE and controlling how NXT/NXT UK is booked as well.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jon View Post
    I think, auto-booking wise, it would be cool if we could be more rigid in terms of how it books, to be honest. This is especially if you're in a more match-heavy company. I'd see it a lot like simming an FM game but having a tactic set-up that the assistant manager will use. It would also help with simulating other companies as well if you could get hyper-detailed. That said, I basically never used auto-booker anyways.
    Oh, I absolutely agree that auto-booker could function better. I wish you could tell it to book by set divisions. Or to take storylines into account.

The problem is the situation as much as anything. Ryland is a one-man show. Well, him and us testers. But he does all the programming. A lot of long time TEWers didn't want an auto-booker because it goes against the basic idea of the game. Same reason that SI doesn't include an Instant Result in the full version of FM. I never liked the idea of including an auto-booker but it wasn't due to being elitist about the "nature of the game". I just preferred the single developer to focus his time on features I would use more.

Status

So started up what will hopefully be my final TEW 2016 save. As in, I'm hopeful it will last me a long while, both in game and in actual time. Black Canvas Grappling.

I'd put a logo here but they don't show up when I'm posting at the office, so screw it.

Background

Unnecessary if you know the CornellVerse, but for anyone else.... to understand Black Canvas Grappling, you need to understand a bit of Cverse lore.

The short history of BCG connects to the long history of Golden Canvas Grappling. GCG were the first modern wrestling promotion in Japan. They opened in 1960, followed by Burning Hammer of the Wrestling Gods. The two companies were rivals immediately. GCG featured the stronger roster of in-ring talent, but Burning Hammer created a true mega star - Master Kitozon. The booking of Burning Hammer was simple but brutally effective - bringing in Gaijin "invaders" who would dominate a few midcarders and then be defeated by a native star, typically Kitozon. Burrning Hammer also evolved over time - adding a junior heavyweight division that became a super junior division, and adding "realistic fighting" and MMA elements. Golden Canvas remained true to its core - straight forward in-ring product and mostly reliant on native talent. Burning Hammer took the lead over its rival in the 1970s and never looked back. GCG had a bad time through the 80s and nearly collapsed. Modern GCG is a minor player in Japan.

GCG's greatest star was Yoshifusa Maeda, one of the greatest in-ring workers Japan has ever produced. Never quite the star that Kitozon was, he almost single-handedly kept GCG going through some of its darker periods. But around 2010, GCG broke with some of its traditions and joined a group promotions in the Modern Japan movement. This was unthinkable to purists, including Maeda. This would lead to Maeda leaving GCG and forming Black Canvas Grappling.

BCG in 2016

The company is the #6 company in Japan and sit at regional. They are stable in financial terms. The roster is a mix of young talent, young stars, and veterans. The great hope for BCG (and why they should be fun to play) are a group of young talent. These include Funakoshi, Bunrakuken Torii, Razan Okamato, Tanyu Toshusai, Blast Ikomi, Rokuemon Matsushita and Yoshinaka Taku. Several of those are already main stars for the company and the others should develop into stars. But only about half of them are loyal, and companies in Japan are predatory. Especially Golden Canvas, who the company is at war with. The company also has some of the best gaijin hosses in Japan, and even if they are lost, there are lots of quality gaijin who can come in.

Black Canvas is a pretty traditional touring puroresu company. They don't do high flying and its not overly MMA-influenced in terms of strikes and submissions. The goal will be to slowly build them up. The company will be built around those who are loyal. Money will be tight, in part because of the Tsunami narrative that hits Japan in mid 2016. Until the company hits Cult, talent will be lost through raids if they aren't loyal.

Units

I've come to very much enjoy re-charactering workers and creating units. Part of what I find so enjoyable about Japan. Since there is no super junior division and masks don't really fly in Black Canvas, I'll have to focus on the latter. So the easy way to go with units is to build around the top guys. I've just been debating who should match up with whom.

The obvious unit leaders are Blast Ikoma, Bunrakuken Torii (starting world champion), Razan Okamoto, and Funakoshi. There is also Masayuki Shiga, a 51-year old veteran with a magnificent mustache who is near the top on popularity but will decline quickly.

the one unit I've got with so far:

Irascible Army: grump old veterans is the idea. Shiga has the leadership... for the moment. Blast Ikoma is his #2 but will take over leadership quite quickly. Blast isn't the best in-ring wise so team with Shiga will help a bit. Also thinking I'll add the Taku's (father and son and tag team) as dad Taku certainly fits. And perhaps Naozane Goto, who is a prospect with the worst personality in the company and he needs help. As the veterans decline or leave, it will just a group of grump hard-hitters so the name still works.

The easy way to go for the other three is Funakoshi, Torii, and Okamoto as leaders. But I am toying with having Torii and Okamoto in the same unit, at least for a time. Okamoto won the Maeda Grand Prix so having him as a #2 doesn't make sense. Which is why it appeals. And also debating where to put Rokuemon Matsushita, a big tough boi who needs work. His selling is awful, so having him in the same unit as Okamoto is an easy idea. But I also kinda like having him work with Funakoshi, for the two of them to eventually have a feud (Burning vs Sternness YAS).

Deciding on the starting units is probably going to take me more time to decide on that the first month of shows will to book.

No One

Status

Where are you going to put the gaijin, especially the four hosses (Bulldozer, Findlay, Brody & Harker) in this whole unit scheme?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jon View Post
    Where are you going to put the gaijin, especially the four hosses (Bulldozer, Findlay, Brody & Harker) in this whole unit scheme?
    My half-formed plan for them is to use them as a loose affiliation rather than a proper unit. so they do often work together, but less exclusively than a proper unit / army does. No set leader (since I can't sign any of them exclusively).

Thread Information