Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Thread: TEW 2016

Status

Re: TEW 2016

So got a save rolling. Well, still on day 1, so not REALLY rolling yet. But it usually takes me quite a while to get through day one lol

I added the B show, WCW Underground. I like to use that to build up the midcard talents and let some talent who aren't great on the mic get mic time without it being damaging - looking at you here, Lance Storm. although I can't really replicate it in the game, I like the idea that the show would have its own look and feel compared to Nitro. Kinda of like NXT, but further away from the core product presentation. I do like to use local jobbers on the B show - it helps get the momentum up for guys who are mostly going to be on the main show jobbing. And I also like to bring up developmental talent, as just being on TV will rapidly increase their popularity.

I opened two child companies. Both are the smallest possible size (so $100,000 each to open) and on touring schedules. Both will start touring in July (game starts in June) and generally run 2 shows per month, plus the big monthly event. They both have a product that is very similar to WCW, which is equal balance between performance and popularity.

New York City Wrestling - a CornellVerse company but using an alt logo. Based, quite obviously, in New York City. The idea is for the WCW to be taking a low-level shot at the WWF by basing one of its affiliates in the McMahon home base. I can use the belts and events from the Cverse promotion.

Southpaw Wrestling - using the logo from the WWE's fun web-show, its based in Raleigh, North Carolina. The idea is that the new WCW ownership wanted to run a child company in the home territory of its predecessor, JCP, but were the Crockett family told them not to use a name that referenced JCP. So they went with a semi-goofy name instead. Not going so far as it connect it to the goofiness of the show. Should be fun to come up with some events for it tho.

I'm made a first round of offers for new signings. The majority of those will end up in developmental as they just aren't ready to be featured heavily. The ones that are going onto the main roster will be the likes of Steve Corino, KENTA (can only join on a PPA), Masato Tanaka, Christopher Daniels... I still have to decide whether some guys who start on the main roster but are pretty green will stick on the roster or go to development. The biggest ones are Sean O'Haire and his crew. The likes of AJ Styles, Chris Harris, James Storm.... not as much of a decision to make. I typically move O'Haire, Jindrak, and the rest to a child company but I'm debating keeping them on the roster for a bit.

I am mulling opening a third company. I try to place child companies in important regions, but ideally ones that don't have a lot of other companies. The Great Lakes is a great spot, whether its Chicago or Detroit. Have several possible options for either spot. Just don't know if I want to do it right from the start (making it easier to balance the rosters of all three at the same time) or later. Prospects with potential will develop in a child company regardless of whether they work matches or not, but working matches makes the improvements faster. And setting up a number of tag teams gives you the bonus of adding tag team experience.

Dunno if I'm manage to book the first Nitro to night but shouldn't be too long before I get rolling with it proper.

Status

So got a save rolling. Well, still on day 1, so not REALLY rolling yet. But it usually takes me quite a while to get through day one lol

I added the B show, WCW Underground. I like to use that to build up the midcard talents and let some talent who aren't great on the mic get mic time without it being damaging - looking at you here, Lance Storm. although I can't really replicate it in the game, I like the idea that the show would have its own look and feel compared to Nitro. Kinda of like NXT, but further away from the core product presentation. I do like to use local jobbers on the B show - it helps get the momentum up for guys who are mostly going to be on the main show jobbing. And I also like to bring up developmental talent, as just being on TV will rapidly increase their popularity.

I opened two child companies. Both are the smallest possible size (so $100,000 each to open) and on touring schedules. Both will start touring in July (game starts in June) and generally run 2 shows per month, plus the big monthly event. They both have a product that is very similar to WCW, which is equal balance between performance and popularity.

New York City Wrestling - a CornellVerse company but using an alt logo. Based, quite obviously, in New York City. The idea is for the WCW to be taking a low-level shot at the WWF by basing one of its affiliates in the McMahon home base. I can use the belts and events from the Cverse promotion.

Southpaw Wrestling - using the logo from the WWE's fun web-show, its based in Raleigh, North Carolina. The idea is that the new WCW ownership wanted to run a child company in the home territory of its predecessor, JCP, but were the Crockett family told them not to use a name that referenced JCP. So they went with a semi-goofy name instead. Not going so far as it connect it to the goofiness of the show. Should be fun to come up with some events for it tho.

I'm made a first round of offers for new signings. The majority of those will end up in developmental as they just aren't ready to be featured heavily. The ones that are going onto the main roster will be the likes of Steve Corino, KENTA (can only join on a PPA), Masato Tanaka, Christopher Daniels... I still have to decide whether some guys who start on the main roster but are pretty green will stick on the roster or go to development. The biggest ones are Sean O'Haire and his crew. The likes of AJ Styles, Chris Harris, James Storm.... not as much of a decision to make. I typically move O'Haire, Jindrak, and the rest to a child company but I'm debating keeping them on the roster for a bit.

I am mulling opening a third company. I try to place child companies in important regions, but ideally ones that don't have a lot of other companies. The Great Lakes is a great spot, whether its Chicago or Detroit. Have several possible options for either spot. Just don't know if I want to do it right from the start (making it easier to balance the rosters of all three at the same time) or later. Prospects with potential will develop in a child company regardless of whether they work matches or not, but working matches makes the improvements faster. And setting up a number of tag teams gives you the bonus of adding tag team experience.

Dunno if I'm manage to book the first Nitro to night but shouldn't be too long before I get rolling with it proper.

Status

So I had some time last night and managed to spend it on TEW. Which means I managed to.... populate my spreadsheet with data!

I've always kept spreadsheets for TEW games, but I've become more diligent about it. I found it particularly helpful with the Burning Hammer save, since that was a big roster that I bloated up, had a weight class split, and I ran tournaments. The tournaments - Grand Prix's, specifically - would be unmanageable without a spreadsheet tracking system. I don't track everything in the spreadsheet - its things like push, popularity, whether they are in a storyline, etc. If I was going to track skills, it would be easier to export data. I have a master spreadsheet setup but it does take some time to populate it with the specific data for this save. I then generally update it once a month.

One of the things I like using the spreadsheet roster sheet for is to separate the two weight divisions. I've been very guilty of under-using the cruiserweights in the past. Its especially easy since at the start, none are really more than midcarders in terms of popularity. In my save with Burning Hammer, some of the super juniors could borderline headline events right from the start, and absolutely could after a couple of months worth of building. The separation on the spreadsheet helped make sure I made better use of the super juniors in that save and I'm hoping it will do the same for the cruiserweights here.

The idea is to keep the cruiserweights fairly separate. Not that they won't ever be mixed into matches with heavyweights, but I don't want it to be the standard. If I wasn't being attentive before, I would end up having one cruiserweight match on a show, and then a bunch of cruiserweights either losing to heavyweights or mixed into multi-man tags. That should be the exception, not the norm. Anyone who is a lightweight will likely come in as a cruiserweight, unless they are coming in as part of a tag team with a partner who isn't a CW. AJ Styles, CM Punk, and Bryan Danielson will all come thru as CWs. The idea is to have a mechanism whereby CWs can choose to move up. I like the idea of Punk being the one who instigates this process in the first place, because it fits with his anti-authority dynamics. Something like winning the Cruiserweight Grand Prix will give a cash prize, and either a shot at the CW title or the option to move up to HW.

Something I've been meaning to mention is that the default Matches that are listed as Cruiserweight are dead standard matches. The only thing I did was copy the default standard 1v1, 2v2, etc matches, then add Name Value and the CW to them. All it does is show them a CW in the booking grid and in the show results. Its the same thing with the tournament matches that are in there. Its not necessary by any means, but I found it really helps me to make sure I'm making use of the CWs.

The one thing I still want to do in the spreadsheet is add the workers I'm signing for developmental. As much as anything, this will make for an easy reference for how many workers are in each developmental company. At the moment, it will help me figure out if a third child promotion is needed right now or something I can leave for later.

Status
      Country                    United States

I do like the idea of a more concrete split in the divisions. And the system for moving up would be great too. Like how Austin Aries and, I believe, Chris Sabin later did with the X Division Championship at Destination X back in the day. Looking forward to what you do with your roster when you get the storylines running.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    I do like the idea of a more concrete split in the divisions. And the system for moving up would be great too. Like how Austin Aries and, I believe, Chris Sabin later did with the X Division Championship at Destination X back in the day. Looking forward to what you do with your roster when you get the storylines running.
    Yeah, I vaguely remember TNA have some mechanism or method, but I honestly don't remember it. I also remember hearing or reading about a Japense company that had a veteran go after their super junior title. I want to say it was All Japan and that it was Keiji Mutoh about 4-5 year ago but could be totally off on those. Anyway, I remember them talking about all these segments where the vet was having to lose weight so he could be formally weighed to make the weight limit for the lower class. That's fun... but I don't want it QUITE that formal.

There are a lot of different ways to go about the mechanism. I'm pretty sure I had something worked into my WCW Empire project about how guys could choose to move up but I don't off-hand recall and I'm not eager to go digging lol. Think it was Ed or Jim that suggested it could be as simple as successfully defending the Cruiserweight title a certain number of times would give the wrestler the option of moving up. I like the idea of tying it to a tournament but it could work either way. Could even have it work both ways.

Part of why I like the idea of using Punk is that he already creates a bit of a conundrum. I want to use him as a singles wrestler, but also linked with Colt Cabana and tagging quite often. He's not really a natural cruiserweight in terms of style, but that's part of why I want to have him in the division for a bit, to be honest. I love the idea of having a CW division that is diverse in terms of ring styles. Sure, loads of guys are fliers. But some will be technicians or even brawlers (harder to find).

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Yeah, I vaguely remember TNA have some mechanism or method, but I honestly don't remember it. I also remember hearing or reading about a Japense company that had a veteran go after their super junior title. I want to say it was All Japan and that it was Keiji Mutoh about 4-5 year ago but could be totally off on those. Anyway, I remember them talking about all these segments where the vet was having to lose weight so he could be formally weighed to make the weight limit for the lower class. That's fun... but I don't want it QUITE that formal.

There are a lot of different ways to go about the mechanism. I'm pretty sure I had something worked into my WCW Empire project about how guys could choose to move up but I don't off-hand recall and I'm not eager to go digging lol. Think it was Ed or Jim that suggested it could be as simple as successfully defending the Cruiserweight title a certain number of times would give the wrestler the option of moving up. I like the idea of tying it to a tournament but it could work either way. Could even have it work both ways.

Part of why I like the idea of using Punk is that he already creates a bit of a conundrum. I want to use him as a singles wrestler, but also linked with Colt Cabana and tagging quite often. He's not really a natural cruiserweight in terms of style, but that's part of why I want to have him in the division for a bit, to be honest. I love the idea of having a CW division that is diverse in terms of ring styles. Sure, loads of guys are fliers. But some will be technicians or even brawlers (harder to find).
    Yeah, the way it worked in TNA if I recall correctly is the X Division champ could surrender the title for a World title shot at Destination X each year.

But as far as diversity in the division goes, I'm all for it. Anyways, we had guys like Dean Malenko who weren't high flyers already hold the belt and it technically is just a weight limit. I always prefer more technical champs in those divisions. In fact if it was me, I would take that belt pretty much in the same direction as the ROH Pure championship.

Status

Yeah, the way it worked in TNA if I recall correctly is the X Division champ could surrender the title for a World title shot at Destination X each year.

But as far as diversity in the division goes, I'm all for it. Anyways, we had guys like Dean Malenko who weren't high flyers already hold the belt and it technically is just a weight limit. I always prefer more technical champs in those divisions. In fact if it was me, I would take that belt pretty much in the same direction as the ROH Pure championship.
    That's what it was, thanks. Knew it was something along those lines. Its a neat idea. I just prefer to tie to accomplishment rather than a specific event.

Dean Malenko is exactly who I think of when mentioning a diversity of styles in the division. I have given thought to altering it from the typical high-flying CW division.... but honestly, the game is limiting in that regard. The vast majority of lighter male workers are going to be high flyers or well rounded. Far rarer to find a technician who has strong technical wrestling skills but less flying skills. Brawlers are even less common at lightweight. Even when you look at Japan, where the super junior style is more diverse by its nature than just high flying, most workers fit that model than technician or brawler. In the end, I think my version of the WCW CW division will end up kinda like what the mid to later 90s division was at its best and what TNA's X-Division has tried to be.... built around exciting, fast-paced and athletic matches that are diverse in their style, rather than focused purely one aspect or another.

Status

Working into February 1995 with WCW right now.

Last October I brought in Randy Savage beginning a storyline against Hogan that has been raging on since. Savage has been chaos at every event. I had Bockwinkel attempt to fire him only for Bischoff to step in block it, as he is the President of WCW. Bischoff and Bockwinkel had a feud over power with Bischoff being on Savage's side, obviously bound to get rid of Hogan, while Bockwinkel obviously backs Hogan and is trying to stop Savage and Bischoff. This resulted in a WCW World Title match at Starrcade where Hogan beat Savage which also granted Bockwinkel power.

Fast forward a bit, Savage enlisted Scott Norton from NJPW to be his muscle. First we had Norton attack a fan and cause a big controversy, then the two of them destroyed Hogan and Steiner after their title match at Road Wild and used a sledge hammer to destroy the World Heavyweight Championship. Now Ted Turner has stepped in, suspended the two of them and fired Bockwinkel and will soon be handing the reigns over to Bischoff. I plan to use this period to have Hogan finally drop the title one way or another before finding a way to dethrone Bischoff after a few months of tyrannical rule.

So far I've managed to boost a few of the younger generation up the card. Steve Austin, Scott Steiner, Dustin Rhodes, DDP, Lord Steven Regal, Brian Pillman and Taz are upper midcard and main event now. In some cases, these guys were already up there but have reached new heights with strong booking. Austin has basically only lost to Vader in the half a year I've booked so far. Steiner finally managed to beat Flair at the Japan Supershow. Regal went over Steamboat at Starrcade and had a title match with Hogan at one point. Taz has been booked a lot like his ECW run as The Human Suplex Machine.

Then I have a good little crop of guys I brought in as jobbers who are now solid midcarders. Basically the WWF Attitude Era midcard lol. Al Snow, AC Conner, Eddie Guerrero, Dean Malenko, Perry Saturn, Pegasus Kid (Benoit), John Layfield and Rey Mysterio Jr. are all developing well.

Now, I've had Jean-Paul Levesque paired with Lord Steven Regal for a while but Regal is always pushing main event status and I think it's time to take Levesque to the next level. I've written him out for a while, having Regal accidentally strike him with brass knuckles, giving him a concussion, messing up his vision. I'm going to bring him back with a more badass gimmick, like we've come to know him for. I do want to change his name though. And I don't want to make him Triple H of course because I don't like to name someone something that they got from a different company.

So does anyone have any ideas on names for him. Does Paul Levesque sound any more badass than Jean-Paul Levesque? Should I try to give him a whole new name or just change his ring name to something more like a nickname (ie Triple H, The Rock, Sting, etc)?

EDIT: I also debuted Nitro and will soon start Thunder. And I made Pegasus Kid the inagural Cruiserweight Champion at Starrcade.

Status

Eh I don't usually mind going with a name that they used later in another company, so I would probably just go with the Hunter Hearst Helmsely which can eventually become Triple H. Or use the Suggest Name function over and over until I find something that clicks.

Status

So one show into my WCW save lol. Which was a "Maple Leaf tour" house show in Canada. The whole purpose of which is to build up the popularity of WCW in Canada a bit so I can get a TV deal a bit down the road. Also getting workers assigned to the three developmental companies, setting them up properly with titles, events, and so on.

And... Shifting Sands also came out yesterday. Its a 2006 mod. Mammoth released it. I'm liking the look of it so far and that's a pretty fun time period. Don't know if I would run WWE (most likely), run TNA, or resurrect WCW. There are a few thins I don't love right off the top - he uses 3/4 body pics (not my favorite, but not my call), could probably use more depth in terms of regional-sized promotions, and I don't know how much he has for future workers / promotions.

It kinda makes me want to go back to messing around with the 2012 mod I have tossed around. Its basically an early, incomplete version of The Real World Chronicles. I've added a load of workers and promotions, but it really needs a balancing, which ends up being a HUGE amount of work. And I'm not sure how much I would actually enjoy booking in that period. The WWE has some cool stuff but also some pretty shit stuff. Like the whole "Rematch of the Century" WM main event, mis-use of Punk, some of the "Big John" stuff.... Maybe I'd be better off taking it back to 2010, when WWECW was still its pomp and you can launch NXT, launch the WWE Network, bring in all the indy stars like Danielson, Tyler Black, etc.

Status

@Jon.... yes, I do enjoy modding quite a bit. But honestly, as soon as I poke around the 2013 data, I get scared off. Just a load of work to do. And I'm just not sure how much I would truly enjoy booking either the WWE or TNA in that period. The upside is that Progress is a year in.... but I generally don't love booking smaller companies like they are. So not much danger that I will get stuck into that anytime soon.

Toying around with 2006 is a bit more of a risk. But it looks like Mammoth hasn't done a lot of future workers yet, so I wouldn't want to dive into a save until a later version where he has more in that regard. There are a lot of workers he will still be looking to add.

So first Nitro booked. got a B- which is good enough for growth. Before long, hitting B and even B+ becomes pretty easy but I need to get the popularity of the lower level main eventers up for that to be the case.

I almost always start the "new version of WCW" off the same way.... an authority announcement telling Booker T he can't hold both the US and world titles at the same time. So he gives up the NA title, which will allow me to run a tournament for it. Plan is for Rob van Dam to win it over Lance Storm, setting up a long-term rivalry between them and starting RVD's push towards being a main eventer.

The main stories that are running are Booker v Jeff Jarrett, Kanyon v Ernest Miller, Dustin Rhodes v Shane Douglas, Chavo Jr v Shane Helms (CW title), and Lance Storm v RVD. The Kanyon & Miller story is a holdover and I generally end it pretty quick to feud Kanyon with DDP. Another change from what I typically do is that I have usually gotten the tag belts off of O'Haire & Palumbo, then stashed pretty much all the Natural Born Thrillers in developmental for a bit. Keeping them all on the roster here. O'Haire & Palumbo will feud with Stasiak & Jindrak over the tag belts, and I can give all four plenty of promo time on the B show. Hopefully the helps them develop. The match grades won't be anything special but at mid-level Cult, that doesn't hurt all that much.

Getting thru 2001 is a bit of a grind. Things pick up by 2002. I feel more comfortable working some of the young talent into the roster by then. Even if the likes of Samoa Joe, CM Punk, etc, are capable, its pretty early in their careers for a big role in a notable company. I tend to burn out after a few months of booking rather mundane, repetitive shows so we will see if this playthru let's me get further into the new WCW.

Status

I know you've probably done this scenario countless time but I would love for you to keep on booking this surviving WCW and keeping us filled in in the progress. Already sounds like you have some interesting ideas, and I assume it will be a lot of fun when you get to the point where you have a few new legit main events to toy with.

On another note I've been scheming new names for the returning Jean-Paul Levesque. This is not a strong suit for me I feel and it's definitely extra tough to rename someone as established as Triple H.

But for the moment I need to to get the name Triple H out of your head. Just imagine a long blonde haired, physically imposing, leather jacket and blue jean wearing lone wolf character... and tell me which name sounds best for him.

a. Paul Levesque
    b. The Ripper
    c. Jax Benedict
    d. Carnage
    e. Michael Draven

Since only a few people ever post in here I'm really counting on you guys.

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

I know you've probably done this scenario countless time but I would love for you to keep on booking this surviving WCW and keeping us filled in in the progress. Already sounds like you have some interesting ideas, and I assume it will be a lot of fun when you get to the point where you have a few new legit main events to toy with.

On another note I've been scheming new names for the returning Jean-Paul Levesque. This is not a strong suit for me I feel and it's definitely extra tough to rename someone as established as Triple H.

But for the moment I need to to get the name Triple H out of your head. Just imagine a long blonde haired, physically imposing, leather jacket and blue jean wearing lone wolf character... and tell me which name sounds best for him.

a. Paul Levesque
    b. The Ripper
    c. Jax Benedict
    d. Carnage
    e. Michael Draven

Since only a few people ever post in here I'm really counting on you guys.
    Michael Draven. The Ripper/Carnage sound pretty corny outside of nickname situation.

-

I'm always waiting for BP to get out of that first year or two where everything is a bit samey.

Status

I'm going to agree with Jon. But only on the name. My repetitive booking IS NOT samey.

The Ripper and Carnage sound really cool as nicknames. As the primary name, they remind me of the WWF trying to be edgy before or after they actually were edgy. I guess that's fine if that's the point. Paul Levesque is fine. Jax Benedict sounds like a cool first name on a rather southern worker, like you might give to James Storm with a "modern cowboy" gimmick. So yeah, I'd go with Michael Draven. Even bash a couple of them together. Michael "The Ripper" Draven.

Status

Cool so Michael Draven it is. I was really trying to think of a good way to nod to Killer Kowalski as his trainer. Was going to try to come up with something where Ripper was the first half of a name. But I like Michael Draven with The Ripper as a nickname.

Status

I do have to admit I enjoy renaming workers. Quite a lot, actually. I was fighting to find a new / fun / interesting name for Steve Corino and the game didn't give me anything. I did re-label James Mitchell to Shade Saint based on a random in-game suggestion. Figured that was a fun name for a creepy manager with a southern preacher vibe.

One thing I do want to do with this save is have a few more workers under masks. The pic pack has a load of mask renders, a lot of which look fairly realistic and I don't find them out of place in the game. So some cruiserweights who I don't have a good character idea for might get put under a cool mask, which gives them some immediate character and interest.

In a standard storyline for my WCW, I have Chris Harris in development under a mask. He starts on the roster but isn't ready to do much. So he goes down to development. I throw him under a stars and stripe mask and rename him to American Patriot. He will debut just after 9/11. The idea (which comes from stillborn WCW BTB ideas) is that he is debuts under the patriotic mask to wrestle a few matches in the post-9/11 environment, but the fans take to him and it becomes a regular thing. The goal is turn him into a midcard / upper midcard mainstay who brings through a series of younger workers under masks, then eventually the youngsters will unmask. Some will feud with him, some will not. Roderick Strong is probably the first of those.

Anyway, had some time last night but only booked the first episode of WCW Underground. Mentioned this before, but more than anything else, the B show lets me give mic time to the younger guys. O'Haire & Palumbo, Kidman, even Storm and Awesome. I like to include the likes of Fit Finlay in the matches, as he helps with the development of the younger workers. And I very much like to bring in some local jobbers to help out with contracted talent who need a momentum bump. That's one thing I like about this job - there are locals available for one-night deals in most regions. Quite a few in some. And as more and more talent debuts, it gets better.

The shitty part about this part of a save is that I have a lot of debuting talent joining the company. Not just the new signings that are joining the main roster but also a few developmental guys who I wanted to debut on the main roster to ensure they get the right alignment and a good gimmick rating. Quite a few of the new signings had to work the week with their existing company before they could join on a Written deal, so there is a whole bunch I can start debuting soon. It just slows things down.

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    I do have to admit I enjoy renaming workers. Quite a lot, actually. I was fighting to find a new / fun / interesting name for Steve Corino and the game didn't give me anything. I did re-label James Mitchell to Shade Saint based on a random in-game suggestion. Figured that was a fun name for a creepy manager with a southern preacher vibe.

One thing I do want to do with this save is have a few more workers under masks. The pic pack has a load of mask renders, a lot of which look fairly realistic and I don't find them out of place in the game. So some cruiserweights who I don't have a good character idea for might get put under a cool mask, which gives them some immediate character and interest.

In a standard storyline for my WCW, I have Chris Harris in development under a mask. He starts on the roster but isn't ready to do much. So he goes down to development. I throw him under a stars and stripe mask and rename him to American Patriot. He will debut just after 9/11. The idea (which comes from stillborn WCW BTB ideas) is that he is debuts under the patriotic mask to wrestle a few matches in the post-9/11 environment, but the fans take to him and it becomes a regular thing. The goal is turn him into a midcard / upper midcard mainstay who brings through a series of younger workers under masks, then eventually the youngsters will unmask. Some will feud with him, some will not. Roderick Strong is probably the first of those.

Anyway, had some time last night but only booked the first episode of WCW Underground. Mentioned this before, but more than anything else, the B show lets me give mic time to the younger guys. O'Haire & Palumbo, Kidman, even Storm and Awesome. I like to include the likes of Fit Finlay in the matches, as he helps with the development of the younger workers. And I very much like to bring in some local jobbers to help out with contracted talent who need a momentum bump. That's one thing I like about this job - there are locals available for one-night deals in most regions. Quite a few in some. And as more and more talent debuts, it gets better.

The shitty part about this part of a save is that I have a lot of debuting talent joining the company. Not just the new signings that are joining the main roster but also a few developmental guys who I wanted to debut on the main roster to ensure they get the right alignment and a good gimmick rating. Quite a few of the new signings had to work the week with their existing company before they could join on a Written deal, so there is a whole bunch I can start debuting soon. It just slows things down.
    What are your shows looking like product wise? Angle-heavy, interview heavy? Match/angle ratio? Stuck with the default?

Mike Awesome always exceeds expectations because of his top row brawling, definitely a good hand, and obviously with Lance Storm they're a perfect tag team pairing.

Are you debuting all the new guys at once or staggering them in? I wish debuts in dark matches wouldn't count against gimmick rating/momentum/and alignment.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Jon View Post
    What are your shows looking like product wise? Angle-heavy, interview heavy? Match/angle ratio? Stuck with the default?

Mike Awesome always exceeds expectations because of his top row brawling, definitely a good hand, and obviously with Lance Storm they're a perfect tag team pairing.

Are you debuting all the new guys at once or staggering them in? I wish debuts in dark matches wouldn't count against gimmick rating/momentum/and alignment.
    The product is the default. I've tweaked it quite a few times over the life span of the mod, but its generally in the data what I've decided to go with at that time. I go back and forth on whether the WCW product should be entertainment based (which it was from about 1995 to the end, and is a bit easy to book once the worker popularity is up) or more performance-focused (which it was in the early days). I like the idea of a serious, sport-like approach for WCW, and that's what I ended up doing in most of my BTB projects. But characters are fun too. So I ended up going with a mix. The default WCW product in the mod is popularity equals popularity. Its a nice mix. I think the match-angle ratio is fairly low. 60% or something. And I usually push close to it on most shows.

For the actually presentation of the product, I imagine something similar to NXT at its best or even a variation on the Progress approach. Heck, you could even compare it to what the Ruthless Aggression period was in intent, though rarely in execution. Pretty serious in-ring product. Not quite "wrestling as a sport" serious. But your average TV match isn't 3 or 4 minutes - its a competitive 8 or 10 minutes, typically. Built around a logical match structure rather than just MOVEZ or moveset. Results matter. The angles are predominantly backstage style interviews, on an interview set. In-ring promos are pretty rare. Old school vignettes on a fairly regular basis to, to emphasize particular elements of a character or a feud. No "magic camera" backstage segments. Few post-match attacks and the like. A structured environment, in a kayfabe sense. Nothing used to an extreme, because overuse reduces impact. Everything has to serve a purpose - furthering a feud, hyping a match, establishing or emphasizing an element of a character. But plenty of opportunity to show character - just not super weird, cartoony ones. There is a bit comedy, but worked in here and there. The storylines are straightforward feuds. Nothing convoluted like WCW had even in the pre-Bischoff era. It builds off of simple desire to prove oneself and past history. So a long-running feud between Lance Storm and Rob Van Dam could be build around the simple fact of them being in ECW together and Storm not liking RVD getting more attention, finding him to be "dangerous" for the risks he takes.

Awesome is a guy I've always had a soft spot for, because he was used so well in ECW and so awfully in WCW. And its fun that he tags with Storm, who I have a MASSIVE soft spot for. There is a reason he took on big responsibilities in my WCW projects. We share a lot of wrestling sensibilities.

I'm staggering them a bit. Introducing a handful in a dark segment each show.

Thread Information