Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: TEW 2016

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: TEW 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    I'm using nGo/Organic style. Cutting is so easy. You just size the image so its face and upper shoulders, then slap a 4 pixel black border over it. boom done. finding random pictures to use is a bit harder than I expected. I've mostly been using Google and searching random terms. I don't want to use real wrestlers or anyone too famous, so athletes from other sports, bodybuilders, costume pics, and so on are what I've grabbed mostly. I'm trying to be diverse - the existing real world pic packs are well split between male and female, but almost all black or white individuals. Far fewer Hispanic, Middle eastern, etc.

The random promotions that open now make me less concerned bout having dozens of yet-to-open companies, but definitely gonna add more.

I've been tempted by GCG a few times but never really run with them. Same as PGHW to be honest.
    I think PGHW is a really fun challenge because of the product itself. You HAVE to build fresh talent, it's not like NOTBPW for example where even if the talent is old they can probably pull you 90s for a while, with PGHW, particularly with the increased frequency of injuries, the product is so intense and dangerous that it isn't long before the guys you relied on are broken and battered and you have to have the next crop of guys ready to take over. I imagine it's a funner challenge with CV97 though because then you have a load of yet-to-debut guys to cycle in when you're Mushashibo's can't do it any longer. No interest in GCG, they just scream villainous to me. They're the BHOTWG to the regional/small companies. The guy you're ultimately hoping to take down.

I imagine MMA would be your greatest source for yet to debut pics. They've got the look for wrestlers and you can easily get a wide variety from any sort of size. UFC's website in particular is probably a huge ass source of great pics, and they've got such a huge fucking roster you don't really have to worry about taking guys that are too famous. Plus they're relatively culturally diverse. I imagine you could find some Japanese MMA companies if UFC doesn't have enough. That'd deffo be my main source though. You'd easily find hispanics in it. I imagine the only off thing is that you wouldn't have real gimmicky pictures.

Status

Its funny how you've run affects who you have interest in. I'm the same way. I always used the AWF in the ThunderVerse so PWI was "the enemy" for the longest time. Then I actually tried them and I have more interest in PWI than AWF now... but I can't look at AWF as the enemy lol.

MMA is indeed a great source of pics. The problem is that I know MMA fairly well. The UFC, at least. And having an MMA fighter I recognize as a wrestler would bother me. So I have grabbed a few, and will grab a few more, but my MMA knowledge (not huge, but decent) will keep me from grabbing too many.

Status

Okay, I'm about to spend a whole bunch of words laying out some of my plans for the WCW 2001 game. Don't read if you don't want to bother. And sorry for the giant wall of text but not really at all.

Mentioned all of this before but as a refresher.... Game starts in June of 2001 and Shane McMahon has bought WCW - it’s a backstory from not-likely-to-happen WCW project, with the idea that Shane didn't go entirely outside the WWF corporate umbrella so there will be a working agreement, which will prevent the AI-run WWF from being super aggressive and signing away everyone they can. I have the starting money as $5 million, just because I think it would make sense for a business-savvy individual to ensure the company had some operating capital.

So WCW is Cult at the start. The company isn't in good shape, but there are TV and PPV deals at the start. I have enough broadcasters that finding one was going to be possible, so I figured I would just start with deals. The product is a performance = popularity product so rather than car cash TV or Attitude Era, it’s more of ROH on a bigger level or maybe an update of late 80s WCW/JCP action. It’s actually the default TCW product in the CornellVerse, with Cult upped a level (adult storylines) and Realism dropped a level. In BTB terms, I intended to introduce product changes more gradually but I figure this is just easy in game-mechanic terms.

As mentioned before, the roster is a mess. In short, it kinda fucking sucks. The big names - Sting, Flair, Hogan, Goldberg, Nash, Luger, Scott Steiner, and Mysterio - are all on absences for legal reasons since they were still under contract directly to Time-Warner. I have Booker T (contract expired right after WCW closed) and DDP (accepted a buyout) on the WCW roster and they are the biggest remaining stars. Jeff Jarrett is the other top guy, though I don't imagine he will be kept around that long. He's a dick and he's not a good enough worker to put up with that. Rounding out the upper card are Dustin Rhodes, Shane Douglas, Rick Steiner, Road Warrior Animal, Ernest Miller, Bam Bam Bigelow, Lance Storm, Chavo Guerrero, Mike Awesome, Sean O'Haire, Kanyon, Konnan, Hugh Morrus, Billy Kidman, Brian Adams, Bryan Clark, Meng, Finlay, Normal Smiley, and Buff Bagwell. Some useful and some garbage. Some will be getting released as they don't have the talent or personality to keep around. Looking at you, Buff Bagwell. Fuck you and your steroids. The bottom portion of the card is a similar mix. I will shave some unnecessary names. That said, I do want to keep a reasonable core of WCW to keep it feeling like WCW for a time. But I don't know if I can put up with booking the likes of the Harris Brothers or MI Smooth for very long. So goodbye chaff.

WCW actually had a lot of young talent on the roster at the end, many of whom should or will definitely develop. AJ Styles is the most notable. But there is also Sean O'Haire, Mark Jindrak, Johnny Stamboli, Christopher Daniels, Chris Harris, James Storm, Shane Helms, Jamie Knoble, and Kaz Hayashi. That's a lot of potential that could be groomed. Even Mike Awesome, who is neither young nor that great in the ring in the mod, tends to develop into a really solid in test runs.

Of course, one of the most appealing aspects of this era is the young workers that are available. ECW is gone, so all of the ex-ECW guys are available, plus a lot of the indy guys who would end up populating ROH, TNA, PWG, FIP and Chikara over the next few years are all already most debuted. Raw but just waiting to be developed.

I don't want to go overboard with either, though at least with the young prospects, I will stash them in developmental for a while so they won't bloat up the roster, at least immediately. And ECW guys.... I'm still debating on. I'm definitely having Joey Styles as my lead announcer - the WCW commentary teams had zero credibility in the last few years so while the game mechanic doesn't register that, it makes me feel better. The ECW guys I'm considering are RVD (obviously), Steve Corino, Tommy Dreamer, CW Anderson, Joey Matthews, Christian York, Tajiri, Nova, and maybe Roadkill. I actually have RVD under a WCW contract at the start, just because the WWF would consistently poach him. My BTB plan was to have him signed by WWF and then loaned to WCW cuz they weren't doing much with him, but that doesn't work in game so fuck it. Corino, Tajiri, and Dreamer are probably certain signings but debating the rest.

It’s the prospects on the indy scene where I'm going to have find some restraint. There were so many already available. WCW starts with NWA: Wildside as a developmental promotion (but with no trainees there) and I intend to open another company, which I will full stock. A partial list of who is available and could be signed: CM Punk, Bryan Danielson, Samoa Joe, John Cena, Austin Aries, the Briscoe Brothers, Ricky Banderas, Brian Kendrick, Robert Roode, Colt Cabana, Chris Sabin, Paul London, Roderick Strong, Low Ki, Homicide, Jay Lethal, BJ Whitmer, TJ Wilson, Frankie Kazarian, Harry Smith, Doug Williams.... Literally dozens more who had the potential (arguably) to do more than they managed in their careers. Even just the ones I listed could carry a company through the 00s. Let alone considering all the talent that debuts in the 2002-2008 period. There is a lot of young talent in the WWF or in WWF developmental – Brock Lesnar, Batista, Randy Orton, Shelton Benjamin, and so on.

So one thing I did that felt questionable but I finally decided "it’s a fantasy scenario so fuck it" is having Raven with WCW. Read a few times he was unhappy in the WWF in mid to late 2001. Plus I watched a Raven shoot video a while back and he said the main reason he got fired from the WWF in the early 90s is that he was partying with Shane McMahon and Vince didn't like that. I figured that equals friendship between Shane and Raven, boom it makes sense. Really, that's just justification for something I wanted to do because I like booking Raven and I think he adds a really cool character to the new WCW. He needs to be nerfed a bit in skill, as he is a bit overpowered.

And now, after all of that, some booking plans....

-Booker T is the WCW Figurehead. He's the world and US champion. Probably the best overall worker in the company and he does seem to get better in test sims. Given how bad the world title has been devalued, I want him to keep it for a while. He will give up the US title at the start as he doesn't need to be a dual-champion going forward. I will have him feud with Jeff Jarrett at first, but that won't last long. Then he will feud with Raven through the rest of 2001, and probably lose the belt to Raven at Starrcade. Booker should be a main draw for WCW through to mid the 2000s.

-after Booker gives up the US title, I will set up a small tournament that will have Lance Storm against Rob Van Dam in the final. RVD will win but set up a long feud between them over the belt that raise the belt prestige and move both guys up the card. RVD should end up as a main eventer and Storm just below that. That tournament will become an annual thing, minus the US title involvement. Maybe a world title shot and million dollar prize going forward, something like that.

-O’Haire and Palumbo are the starting tag champs but I doubt I keep them that way for long. Mainly because I’d like to stash O’Haire in developmental for a few weeks or even months because it will fast-track his development. He should have great potential but he’s still kinda raw. Not sure who will get the tag belts – Kronik or maybe an ad-hoc team.

-no great love for Kronik but I think they might be my core tag team for a year or two. They aren’t great, but they aren’t that awful – compared to say, The Harris Brothers – and they have enough Menace to gain some easy popularity that way.

-I’m tempted to just get rid of them, but Road Warrior Animal and Rick Steiner could make an interesting mixed-bag tag team, at least for a time.

-the cruiserweight division is pretty bleh. Kidman is fine, and while Knoble, Helms, Hayashi, and Daniels are solid enough talents, they lack popularity. Considering how dynamic the division was in the mid to late 90s, it’s kinda sad. But wholly representative of the decline of WCW. I think the cruiserweights can become a force again before too long. AJ will become a key guy (needs time in development) and Danielson as well. By the end of 2001, the division could look very very different than it does in June.

-a storyline I’ve wanted to / tried to run in other games is that of a masked Patriot character. I think it probably goes back to an early or mid-90s game where I was gonna do it with Del Wilkes. Then I imported the idea into the ThunderVerse and Cverse. Essentially you have a talented, skilled wrestler under a patriot mask, doing a traditional patriotic gimmick, on a permanent basis. Not world champion material but an upper card gatekeeper type. What would make it fun would be having a series of Patriot protégés come through, making a small Patriot stable, as a way of introducing new talent to the company. The protégés eventually unmask and go on their own, or turn on their leader for a mask-versus-mask match. With 9/11 happening a few months into the game, it seems a fitting gimmick. Plus the simplicity of it would be something to appeal to kids in a promotion that would mostly have more complex characters. I considered having Dustin Rhodes use it – he would definitely work, but he’s a bit older and I would have use for him regardless. Then I saw a young, raw Chris Harris on the roster. Three months in development and he would be ideal. Needs his popularity built up but that’s doable. I have a long list of workers would could potentially be brought through as protégés. I also got some cool photo-realistic mask renders that look almost real in the game that I will use.

-my big four youngsters will be AJ Styles (a WCW true blood), Samoa Joe, Bryan Danielson, and CM Punk. The Four Pillars of WCW Heavy… eventually. This will echo my WCW 2007 project, maybe too closely. Styles and Danielson will move up through the cruiserweight division. Joe will probably get a long streak that’s not really an undefeated streak but where he doesn’t lose directly through pinfall or submission. He will lose matches – tag matches where he isn’t pinned, multi-man matches, etc. But it will make him eventually get pinned a big deal. Probably Danielson gets that honor. With Punk, I’m mulling how to bring him in . I could have him come in as part of the Second City Saints. I could have him come in as one of Raven’s lackeys, eventually setting up a Raven-Punk feud that would be money (and already done lol). Or even as a Patriot protégé.

-speaking of Raven, undecided on whether he should have a Flock or not but leaning to yes. I love me stables. Similar to the Patriots stable, it’s an easy way to introduce new young and let them get some facetime and popularity before they are set loose on their own. I don’t expect he’ll be a major in-ring presence for years and years, as he’s not young and his body is pretty damaged. But he can transition into more of a manager type role in a few years.

-I’ve been debating how quickly I should add a B show. It’s useful, but it’s an added expense. After adding a developmental company and a bunch of new contracts, I figure I should watch the spending for a time. Even after I trim the roster of a bunch of contracts. I know it will be a long time until I can save up the money for a WCW owned network but that’s the long-term goal.

-I love managers so looking to develop a bunch. There are more women who would make good managers or valets so I’ll probably use those. A lot of them are actual wrestlers (or sorta wrestlers) so it’s a bit wasteful to use a decent female wrestler in a purely non-wrestling role. I could add a women’s division and have given thought to it but probably won’t bother.

-of those big WCW names who are on an absence to start, I want to resign Sting, Ric Flair, and possibly Rey Mysterio. Not sure about Mysterio. Sting will be the icon, and get the icon treatment. Major storylines but not really in the world title scene, then regular absences to draw out his in-ring career. Flair will probably be similar.

-definitely re-doing the Horsemen. Already did in my WCW project, but it has to happen. Not right away, because I’d rather not do it until Flair can be rehired, plus the nWo hangover makes waiting feel better. Have a long list of who I could use. Think Lance Storm and Mike Awesome might be early options. Again, did that in my WCW BTB but it would probably help both guys.

-torn on Shawn Michaels. He’s out injured til early 2002. In tests sims, he doesn’t get picked up by the WWF or WCW despite being a top 5 worker in the data. I did some testing with him on the WCW roster and he delivers some strong matches, despite being in time decline in that one. He’s fun to book. It just reminds me of my first WCW BTB project, which was based on another Genadi fantasy scenario, where I had Brock Lesnar and HBK. No Lesnar unless the WWF releases him here, but HBK would definitely be a strong addition to a work-rate based WCW.

-also debating Curt Hennig. Similar, on a lesser level than HBK. Still pretty solid in ring and could help with a new generation of talent. Might keep him on the roster for a bit then have him training guys in development.

-already mentioned the US title tournament that will become an annual singles tournament. Also want to have the Crockett Cup in April as an annual tag tournament, and probably a cruiserweight tournament in the fall.

Have more but that’s probably enough lol

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

Believe it or not - read all of that.

Have you played long enough to have a figurehead lose a significant match, and how drastic were the ramifications of that defeat. I feel like the figurehead system is built to be used the same way John Cena and Roman Reigns are booked IRL, never any sort of clean defeat, and they win pretty much 80-90% of their matches. A defeat to Raven would be difficult unless you managed to build Raven credibly enough or were willing to take the morale hit. But I haven't played long enough to know how serious a figurehead defeat will effect the rest of the company.

I would say Shawn Michaels might be a worthwhile signing if he hasn't hit time decline (do you think he ever hit time decline IRL? I feel like he never really hit a point where his matches started getting mediocre or boring to watch). Feuds with CM Punk, Bryan Danielson, A.J. Styles and Samoa Joe are all money, Joe in particular would be a great way to elevate him as an unbeatable monster, CM Punk, I don't think he'd lose the feud but if this was a CM Punk on his own then it'd help get his mic skills up to the RL level he's at and of course accentuate a future heel persona if you go that way, and Danielson is an easy retirement route if ever you choose to do that. Plus it'd be neat to see them team as well. I can't imagine the amount of awesome matches you'll have if you can get all four of those to become a main event quality. Not sure how good their SQ is and if they'll be able to carry you should you ever turn on WWE. I also don't think they'll ever let Lesnar go unless some sort of tension happens or you throw all the money at them.

Danielson as a four horsemen seems a must, can't remember if you ever did that.

Whenever you make this file available, I'll be super tempted to see if I can start an early "Divas Revolution," not sure how good the female talent will be in the game.

I feel like Jeff Jarrett leaving is a must just in hopes that he ends up creating TNA. ROH will definitely suffer the most if you swipe Punk/Danielson/Styles/Joe and the rest of the Indy Darlings but it's hard not to pick them up. Also hope you push Christopher Daniels as the heir apparent to Raven, for some reason I've always seen him as the sort who can be a cult leader type and that's definitely the sort of push I'd give him. I think I'd be more inclined to give him a main event push than other people would. Huge fan of his.

Punk as a Patriot prodigy wearing a mask would be the greatest thing ever. You have to do it now El Generico eventually coming in in that role would be magical too. Juan Cena too!

Of the big four pillars, who do you think will eventually take the Booker T mantle (and who would you want to take it) and how long do you intend on keeping Booker as the figurehead/number one face?

Status

Lol kudos, good sir. That was a giant wall of text to read thru.

I don't think having your figurehead lose a match is a killer. But I do think you want to protect them overall in the booking. Which makes sense. Whether it was Hogan, Austin, Rock or Cena in the WWF/E, Flair in early WCW, Tanahashi in NJ.... none of them take frequent clean losses. Rocky Golden makes a great figurehead for TCW and he doesn't have the title.

There are so many good feuds for HBK, which is why its so appealing. His skills would help develop the young guys to carry the company forward - very similar to how I want to use Sting and Flair. I think he did hit Time Decline somewhat in reality, at least in the way that TEW represents it. His top row skills, by the end, were not the same as they were at his peak. His Athleticism definitely dropped. However, his Consistency and Selling never did - and they tend to in-game.

Pretty sure I did have Danielson in the Horsemen. Styles too. I'd have to go back and check and I'm too lazy right now.

A serious ladies division would be the only way to go. It will probably depend on what kind of in-ring performers a few of them turn into. Creating a A* popularity female wrestler would be pretty epic to do in a game at some point. I just don't know if would get that much attention from me, with a strong main event scene (eventually), cruiserweights, tag, etc.

Letting Jarrett go do his TNA thing is very likely. As for ROH, whether or not the likes of Joe, Punk, and Danielson are available, they don't tend to go after them. They'll grab a few ex-WWF/WCW/ECW guys for the popularity and a few young talents. So it pretty much never ends up being what ROH was really like anyway. Plus, Joe and Danielson usually get signed to exclusive deals in Japan before too long. I've considered tweaking that but haven't done it yet.

Daniels is another guy who will move up from the cruiserweight division to the heavyweights at some point. And yeah, he's probably a Flock guy who replaces Raven, at least the in-ring lead, once Raven declines a bit. Its too bad Jon Moxley doesn't debut for a few years, because he would be great in that stable.

The Punk-Patriot connection is something someone suggested on the GDS board. Basically, Punk becomes part of the stable, but ends up railing against being controlled and points out all the hypocrisy in the American ideology, which leads to him creating a Straight Edge Society stable of his won to fight against that dynamic. Its a story arc with some real potential, but I don't think its how I want to bring Punk in. I think I might actually combine all three options - first introduced as a Raven flunky, fights back, brings in the Second City Saints to help him in his fight against Raven, and then he later on ends up aligned with the Patriots for a time to set up that story arc.

Well, Joe is definitely most likely to get the first world title run out of that group. He's the most developed and he should gain popularity quickly - he becomes a monster in Japan, in terms of skills and popularity. And I don't even think he's massively overpowered at the start in the game. But given he will be a heel, at least for a long while, I'm not sure he will end up as a figurehead. If Booker gains popularity like I think he might (I tend to book in ways that does it), he might be hard to replace for a long while.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

Lol kudos, good sir. That was a giant wall of text to read thru.

I don't think having your figurehead lose a match is a killer. But I do think you want to protect them overall in the booking. Which makes sense. Whether it was Hogan, Austin, Rock or Cena in the WWF/E, Flair in early WCW, Tanahashi in NJ.... none of them take frequent clean losses. Rocky Golden makes a great figurehead for TCW and he doesn't have the title.

There are so many good feuds for HBK, which is why its so appealing. His skills would help develop the young guys to carry the company forward - very similar to how I want to use Sting and Flair. I think he did hit Time Decline somewhat in reality, at least in the way that TEW represents it. His top row skills, by the end, were not the same as they were at his peak. His Athleticism definitely dropped. However, his Consistency and Selling never did - and they tend to in-game.

Pretty sure I did have Danielson in the Horsemen. Styles too. I'd have to go back and check and I'm too lazy right now.

A serious ladies division would be the only way to go. It will probably depend on what kind of in-ring performers a few of them turn into. Creating a A* popularity female wrestler would be pretty epic to do in a game at some point. I just don't know if would get that much attention from me, with a strong main event scene (eventually), cruiserweights, tag, etc.

Letting Jarrett go do his TNA thing is very likely. As for ROH, whether or not the likes of Joe, Punk, and Danielson are available, they don't tend to go after them. They'll grab a few ex-WWF/WCW/ECW guys for the popularity and a few young talents. So it pretty much never ends up being what ROH was really like anyway. Plus, Joe and Danielson usually get signed to exclusive deals in Japan before too long. I've considered tweaking that but haven't done it yet.

Daniels is another guy who will move up from the cruiserweight division to the heavyweights at some point. And yeah, he's probably a Flock guy who replaces Raven, at least the in-ring lead, once Raven declines a bit. Its too bad Jon Moxley doesn't debut for a few years, because he would be great in that stable.

The Punk-Patriot connection is something someone suggested on the GDS board. Basically, Punk becomes part of the stable, but ends up railing against being controlled and points out all the hypocrisy in the American ideology, which leads to him creating a Straight Edge Society stable of his won to fight against that dynamic. Its a story arc with some real potential, but I don't think its how I want to bring Punk in. I think I might actually combine all three options - first introduced as a Raven flunky, fights back, brings in the Second City Saints to help him in his fight against Raven, and then he later on ends up aligned with the Patriots for a time to set up that story arc.

Well, Joe is definitely most likely to get the first world title run out of that group. He's the most developed and he should gain popularity quickly - he becomes a monster in Japan, in terms of skills and popularity. And I don't even think he's massively overpowered at the start in the game. But given he will be a heel, at least for a long while, I'm not sure he will end up as a figurehead. If Booker gains popularity like I think he might (I tend to book in ways that does it), he might be hard to replace for a long while.
    I see a lot of people having issues with Rocky Golden because he's feuding with Aaron Andrews to start and Double-A just beat him for the title so they have to find a way to keep Golden out of AA's way or keep Golden's integrity while having AA retain then splitting them up.

As a tentative alternative suggestion to the CM Punk story. Him debuting as a Patriot prodigy and being corrupted by Raven only to eventually rise up against Raven as well, realizing it's sort of the same dynamic as being controlled by an another ideology and bringing forth his own ideology in the SES or Second City Saint, whatever you chose to do, might be an option. Either way, seeing him travel through the three stables would be interesting. I'm not sure how much leg there would be in Second City Saints leader aligning with the Patriots unless there's a future betrayal that happens where they feud as well.

I think you did have Danielson in your Horsemen as well. Not sure about Styles, you may have added him later on. He feels a bit ill-fitting with Ric Flair though in the same way that it didn't seem truly like Styles to be part of Fortune in TNA.

The biggest issue with a serious ladies division aside from finding them a spot in your card (and if you're serious that might mean two spots) is that I'm not sure how good the quality is. I mean I guess you have Trish, Lita, Mickie James, Gail Kim and maybe Awesome Kong if you can get your hands on them. Not sure who else, anyone else probably needs some hardcore development. Trish definitely has the SQ and Sex Appeal to do it though. I think you'd need to do two brands to have the space to get to that.

Depending on how you feel about O'Haire vs. Daniels in terms of who's bigger, O'Haire could make a very fitting member of the Flock and Daniels's future flock too. But if you've got ME intentions with him like in your past diaries then maybe that wouldn't exactly work unless O'Haire eventually turned face to feud with Daniels/Raven's flock.

Joe reminds me of BCG's Funakoshi. He's absolutely awesome. Can get crazy over. Might be one of if not the best wrestler in your company, but is he really figurehead/ace material? He can be booked with the same W/L column as one but I'm not sure he's on the same charisma/SQ/babyface material as the alternative options out there. Which is why I don't really have Funakoshi as my figurehead. If you do bring up John Cena, he seems like the easy heir apparent to the role.

Status

I had AA go over Rocky in a TCW test game a while back and didn't have any figurehead issues, but that was also a while before release. Stuff my have changed after that.

That would work for Punk, too. Maybe better. Part of it depends on how he and others develop. Not sure if the Saints would be a full stable or just a tag team with Colt, and maybe Daffeny with them. Ace Steel is a total maybe at this point, and it might come down to signing him and seeing how he develops. But I doubt I would do a ton with him long-term so might not be worth it.

Yeah, Styles is less a personality match for the Horsemen. But in a sense, so is Storm. Being a member for a time could be a way to evolve Styles as a character.

Yeah, there will be some decent women's prospects available. Lita and Trish are locked up with the WWF and unlikely to be available. I look at the list of solid prospects that I would be likely to develop and feel like it would be really similar to the TNA Knockouts in the late 00s period. And that's not all that appealing.

O'Haire is another guy who I have yet to decide on, because it will come down to how he develops. Lots of potential in the character, and an alliance of some kind with Raven has a load of potential. But if he's not going to develop to move past the midcard..... I did nerf him a bit - think he had A* Star Quality in the data originally.

Samoa could end up with Charisma on an elite level. And while his Star Quality isn't quite to that level, it does seem to rise in younger workers a bit on TEW 2016. Cena would be better in some ways, but I definitely want to have him turn heel at times. Always face Cena fucking sucks.

Only got a few more workers down tonight, but I did manage to get a few workers onto Big Japan's roster. Gradually, but getting closer.

Status

This probably doesn't require another update.... but I'm at work and limited in what I can do. So.... I got another handful of active talent done last night. About 120 left of those. Forgot to mention that Zero has given some great insight into the Mexico scene so when I get to tweaking, that should help a bunch.

Thought of a story arc I rather like last night as well. So when this was gonna be a BTB, part of the intent was that Shane wouldn't alter the WCW that much in the early going. It would be a fair bit of wrestle-crap stuff continuing for a solid year, then slowly improving. Was gonna have him bring back Bischoff, end up as a regular on-screen character feuding with Bischoff for "power", and maybe even "accidentally" win the world title at some point. Basically, treat it like the vanity project that everyone would hope he wouldn't. He would eventually realize he's not best for business, scale back, and let the wrestlers be the stars. For a few reasons, I don't want to do that in game. I will have him as a regular on-screen character at first, not really an authority figure really just giving weekly soliloquys on the "future and direction of WCW". My idea last night would be to give him an on-screen feud with Jeff Jarrett through the later part of 2001, after Jarrett is done feuding with Booker T (who would be feuding with Raven by that point). In early 2002, Jarrett wants to face Shane in a match. But Shane brings in a ringer - Shawn Michaels - who wins a Loser Leaves Town Match or something similar to see Double J off into the sunset.

Now for an actual question.... that will also be a wall of text. I love managers. And valets. I dislike that the WWE has mostly done away with them. So in protest, I want to load my WCW up with quite a few. It helps the younger workers and makes for some easy storylines as manages drop clients, etc. My issue is identifying options, as I feel like there just aren't tons of options in this time period. Quite a few solid managers from the later 00s didn't debut until 2004 or so - Armando Estrada, Larry Sweeney, etc. So I'm trying to identify some workers who could play some typical manager prototypes - executive consultant / business person type, the hustler, the coach, etc.

For valets, there is loads. WCW start out with Stacy Kiebler, Torrie Wilson (actually left but I have here back), Kimona, and a couple of less talented ones. I think Keibler and Torrie will be the backbone and should be effective. Keibler will probably get a more businesswoman slant (Emma Chase from the Cverse) while Torrie gets more of a seductress / manipulator slant. As I mentioned yesterday, there are tons of good looking females - mostly wrestlers but some who did both. Some already have mic skills, the others could be developed. There are also former ECW talents like Francine, Dawn Marie, and Beulah. So no shortage in that regard.

But amongst male managers.... It was easier when this wasn't using a mod, because skills mattered less. But if someone isn't very good on the mic, they won't make a great manager. I know its a fantasy mod and I can edit, but it feels wrong to give someone way high skills just cuz I want to. I'll figure I'll list who I've considered and why I'm not sure on them....

Harley Race - not the greatest talker, getting up their in age, and was running WLW at this point (though its not in the data)

Gary Hart - quite old

Dutch Mantell - was booking IWA-PR at this point, altho I'm not sure if he's set to be in the data. Love the idea of having him bring in my Patriot character and then have him turn on the Patriot.

James Mitchell - a likely hire, though I don't know if his "evil" gimmick really fits this version of WCW so might adjust that.

Jimmy Hart - I loved him back in the day and he has a WCW history, but not certain his excitable southerner with a megaphone is the direction this WCW needs

Sonny Oono - his WCW lawsuit makes this one feel wrong

Kenny Bolin - never seen his work. He was a manger forever in OVW but in-game, he lacks the skills to be an effective manager at this level of promotion.

Julius Smokes - seen a bit of him, never that impressed. Also not that skilled

Prince Nana - think he was already debuted. Never been a huge fan and the gimmick he rocks is a bit gimmicky.

Lou D'Angeli - if I go ex-ECW, not the direction I would go.

Don Callis - not a bad character, though I always found him a bit grating to listen to (the intent, I know).

Bill Alfonso - the best fit for the "coach" type manager. ECW aspect is good and bad.

Before anyone suggests Paul Heyman, he's under WWF contract. Same with Mick Foley. Flair will be a wrestler-manager and Arn a manager of the new 4 Horsemen when Flair can be rehired.

Of retired or sorta-retired wrestlers, I've considered a few as well:

Kevin Nash - great potential as a manager, authority figure, or color commentator after his absence expires. But he's a dickbag backstage so not happening.

Roddy Piper - fun potential as well but I worry he would overshadow a lot of wrestlers

Bob Backlund - fun but he's poor on the mic

Sandman - also good on the mic, but working with a couple ex-ECW guys he could be more of an enforcer than a traditional manager.

Kevin Sullivan - like Nash, a dick backstage so nah.

Ernest Miller - already on the roster. Not a bad wrestler but his entertainment skills could make him a better manager

So... suggestions?
    TL:DR suggest managers for WCW in June of 2001 lol
    Last edited by Big Papa; 05-06-2016 at 01:23 PM.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

My knowledge isn't extensive enough to make any suggestions but...

Dutch Mantell eventually running an Evil Patriot vs. Good Patriot (which could easily double as a comparison between positive vs. negative patriotism) would be awesome to see and could provide some shocker good matches too depending on who's under the mask.

Prince Nana; never a huge fan of him but he's still a very easy choice in case you ever intend on bringing in an African star (not that there are many). Maybe years down the line for a Kofi Kingston, or if you were willing to repackage Mark Henry should he ever be freed of his contract.

James Mitchell seems an easy person to slot right into your Flock storylines either as a supporter and manager for the lower members or as an eventually traitors (perhaps even taking a rising star from the flock under his wing for a rival flock?)

Shane McMahon & Eric Bischoff seem as if they themselves could work the manager role you're looking for. What about Dusty Rhodes & Ted DiBiase Sr. The latter especially is easy material, million dollar clientele. If Bradshaw ever gets off WWF's leash, you should give him a call. William Regal as well. Where is Teddy Long at this point? He's another option.

Status

So under 100 active workers to go through. Visiting the parents for Mother's Day weekend so might get further yet.

Mantel and Patriot is an idea I need to do now. Works in so many ways. The differing dynamics of patriotism driving them apart, and then Mantell managing a bunch of youngsters he brings in to oppose the Patriot and his stable. Could be the kind of feud that runs for years. And its gonna be Chris Harris under the mask at the main Patriot - pretty much settled on that.

I think the gimmick is part of reason I'm not sure Nana is really that fitting. He's not bad on the mic but nothing special. I don't really see him working any other manager prototype. The executive consult, sports agent, hustler, the promoter.... none seem to fit. In might work in game mechanic terms, but it has to fit in my mind as well. I guess he's probably good enough on the mic to simply be an old school mouthpiece manager with no particular gimmick slant. His actual royalty gimmick... that doesn't seem to fit the intent with this version of WCW that much. I cannot imagine bring in a black athlete and giving them any sort of "African ethnic warrior" gimmick, which would fit having Nana as their manager. But I guess a "crown jewel" doesn't have to fit that way.

Probably gonna avoid Bischoff. He brings a lot of baggage and a negative personality to boot. I'll probably avoid getting Shane too directly involved in things. I like the idea of him being presented as owner but not trying to overtly influence outcomes - rather, he's putting pieces in play and wanting to be entertained, much like the fans. Basically the polar opposite of "best for business".

Dusty is still with the company. Ted Sr is a good shout I hadn't considered. Bradshaw would be an awesome manager I think, but under contract to WWF, plus a dick. Teddy Long is also under WWF contract.

Status

This thread is too quiet. I know Jon is playing the fuck out of TEW - I see him posting BCG updates on the GDS forum lol.

So still plugging away on my 2001 fantasy mod. I was almost tempted to switch work over a 2013 mod the other day, knowing that Genadi is going to do a 2016 version of his data, but I also know that this is more to my tastes, so gonna finish it out. Dying to actually book WCW already lol

Finished off updating the full set of workers. Everyone has update skills, popularity, a move set (accuracy level of that varies), gimmicks, and pic. That said, still plenty to do.

My list:

-I've added Toryumon (which becomes Dragon Gate), Big Japan, Westside Extreme Wrestling, and will likely still add NWA: Hammerlock in the UK. I almost deleted wXw because there just aren't a lot of workers who wrestle in Europe at that point and I didn't want to import a bunch of low level guys. So the roster is a bit small. I've got wXw and Big Japan pretty sorted. Adding some workers to DDT as well. Toryumon still needs some tweaking - the titles and future Dragon Gate workers. Beyond that, I will look at adding some more yet-to-debut promotions.

-started looking promotion by promotion to clean things up. Tweaking the product and roster slightly, making sure the belts are accurate (or as accurate as possible). Not going to worry too much on being absolutely dead on with face/heel alignment, stables, and so on. Too time consuming and I'm never gonna run those promotions, so.... I'm looking at CMLL and AA right now.

-broadcasters need to be looked at again. One of the first things I tweaked and they work okay, but just a bit of balancing and scaling, particularly of the production level requirements.

-there is currently about 1600 workers in the data. It started at around 1700 and I think it would be down to almost 1450 with all the deletions. There are a load of workers who were already active in mid-2001 or would debut within 2-3 years, but who never made any impact. Guys who worked a dozen Jersey All Pro shows over the course of 4 years. Or someone who spent 2 years in FCW as WWE developmental, then retired. Unless they had massive potential or worked for a more notable company, I've gotten rid of them. But I've added quite a few in. And have tons more to add in. Lots of current NXT people, the more recent TNA additions, a lot of current ROH talent, and that's just in the US. This isn't typical a particularly painful process as I can import them from a current day mod and scale back their skill set.

-I missed Employment History for quite a number of workers when I was going through them, so that will be adjusted as I go.

-need to do some scaling for skills. Want to balance things out. Looking to the Cverse for this, trying to get a decent average and making sure the there aren't too many worker with specific skills that are really high. Don't want 20 workers with A* Brawling, for example. I also need to look at Sex Appeal for males and Respect, as I adjusted how I was scaling these halfway through.

-and more pic cutting. While every worker has a pic now, some suck. I've cut around 600 total so far and have almost 200 more waiting. They are quick and easy to do, but just the sheer volume. This will be one of the last things I tackle, along with agers and alter egos.

I'm not sure why the 2013 mod keeps tempting me. I got a partially finished Real World Chronicles from Fleisch that starts in mid-2013. May, I think. Its incomplete - only about 1150 workers and just the bigger promotions. I did a lot of editing (mostly importing) with it on TEW 2013, then barely played it, and accidentally deleted it without a backup. Its a cool period to run the WWE - you can salve Punk's WWE career, its while the Shield are just getting going, Daniel Bryan is building toward his epic WM moment, NXT is rolling strong... It would also be just as the UK scene was getting hot. When I tried to play what I did before, just getting through a week with the WWE felt onerous. But the auto-booker helps so much in that regard. So its tempting again... Making it even more tempting is that there is a community current day mod project going on, with a stand-alone forum. A few TEW nuts, including DerekB, are discussing workers. Given that 2013 is only a few years removed, those stats can easily be used in most cases. I will tackle the 2013 data at some point, but I'm just worried that if I start toying around with it now, I won't get back and finish 2001, which would make me a very sad Papa.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

This thread is too quiet. I know Jon is playing the fuck out of TEW - I see him posting BCG updates on the GDS forum lol.

So still plugging away on my 2001 fantasy mod. I was almost tempted to switch work over a 2013 mod the other day, knowing that Genadi is going to do a 2016 version of his data, but I also know that this is more to my tastes, so gonna finish it out. Dying to actually book WCW already lol

Finished off updating the full set of workers. Everyone has update skills, popularity, a move set (accuracy level of that varies), gimmicks, and pic. That said, still plenty to do.

My list:

-I've added Toryumon (which becomes Dragon Gate), Big Japan, Westside Extreme Wrestling, and will likely still add NWA: Hammerlock in the UK. I almost deleted wXw because there just aren't a lot of workers who wrestle in Europe at that point and I didn't want to import a bunch of low level guys. So the roster is a bit small. I've got wXw and Big Japan pretty sorted. Adding some workers to DDT as well. Toryumon still needs some tweaking - the titles and future Dragon Gate workers. Beyond that, I will look at adding some more yet-to-debut promotions.

-started looking promotion by promotion to clean things up. Tweaking the product and roster slightly, making sure the belts are accurate (or as accurate as possible). Not going to worry too much on being absolutely dead on with face/heel alignment, stables, and so on. Too time consuming and I'm never gonna run those promotions, so.... I'm looking at CMLL and AA right now.

-broadcasters need to be looked at again. One of the first things I tweaked and they work okay, but just a bit of balancing and scaling, particularly of the production level requirements.

-there is currently about 1600 workers in the data. It started at around 1700 and I think it would be down to almost 1450 with all the deletions. There are a load of workers who were already active in mid-2001 or would debut within 2-3 years, but who never made any impact. Guys who worked a dozen Jersey All Pro shows over the course of 4 years. Or someone who spent 2 years in FCW as WWE developmental, then retired. Unless they had massive potential or worked for a more notable company, I've gotten rid of them. But I've added quite a few in. And have tons more to add in. Lots of current NXT people, the more recent TNA additions, a lot of current ROH talent, and that's just in the US. This isn't typical a particularly painful process as I can import them from a current day mod and scale back their skill set.

-I missed Employment History for quite a number of workers when I was going through them, so that will be adjusted as I go.

-need to do some scaling for skills. Want to balance things out. Looking to the Cverse for this, trying to get a decent average and making sure the there aren't too many worker with specific skills that are really high. Don't want 20 workers with A* Brawling, for example. I also need to look at Sex Appeal for males and Respect, as I adjusted how I was scaling these halfway through.

-and more pic cutting. While every worker has a pic now, some suck. I've cut around 600 total so far and have almost 200 more waiting. They are quick and easy to do, but just the sheer volume. This will be one of the last things I tackle, along with agers and alter egos.

I'm not sure why the 2013 mod keeps tempting me. I got a partially finished Real World Chronicles from Fleisch that starts in mid-2013. May, I think. Its incomplete - only about 1150 workers and just the bigger promotions. I did a lot of editing (mostly importing) with it on TEW 2013, then barely played it, and accidentally deleted it without a backup. Its a cool period to run the WWE - you can salve Punk's WWE career, its while the Shield are just getting going, Daniel Bryan is building toward his epic WM moment, NXT is rolling strong... It would also be just as the UK scene was getting hot. When I tried to play what I did before, just getting through a week with the WWE felt onerous. But the auto-booker helps so much in that regard. So its tempting again... Making it even more tempting is that there is a community current day mod project going on, with a stand-alone forum. A few TEW nuts, including DerekB, are discussing workers. Given that 2013 is only a few years removed, those stats can easily be used in most cases. I will tackle the 2013 data at some point, but I'm just worried that if I start toying around with it now, I won't get back and finish 2001, which would make me a very sad Papa.
    I'm in love with BCG. The goal is to eventually get big enough to do a Junior Heavyweight Division and a Joshi division. Will have to set it to integrated so that the women aren't treated like a sideshow act and can appear as figureheads, etc. Long way away though. But I'm really loving that file. The raids from GCG/BHOTWG really help diversify your roster and give you a challenge. BCG could be one of the toughest regional companies to play for. That said, the more I play C-Verse, the more I'm a bit unsatisfied with that universe. There's a lot I don't like. BHOTWG's schedule doesn't match up to the brand split. What you get is a company that has all the money in the world, will hire a 80+ man roster because of brand split reason but refuses to up the amount of shows and thus talent goes completely squandered working 1 match a month if they're lucky even if they are main event. This sort of A.I. also means companies like 5SSW, EX2010, GCG who can definitely run more than a show a month, don't, either because the owner is I guess not aggressive? Or because they're a regional company they choose not to? It just seem silly. EX2010, GCG, 5SSW have so much talent and could make BCG's life a lot harder but because of super soft A.I. it doesn't happen. Companies like CWWF, because of the 'mainly hire locals' thing will open, hire a bunch of people, never host a show. Lose all pop. Die. UK is horrifically underdevelopped. There is definitely not enough new workers between 2013/2016 releases. And some companies feel barely changed or evolved.

Cannot wait for TV2016.

Or better yet... this mod~ Really looking forward to getting into this one BP! I just don't post about CVerse here because I don't know how many people are really interested in non-RW related stuff.

I think the one thing you really need to get carefully right is star quality. It plays such a huge role in National Battles now, its really something that needs to be gotten right. Makes me curious how people would grade Daniel Bryan now, in the past they'd give him 50-70 but with how its been altered, I feel like it deserves to be higher, Daniel Bryan is a huge draw after all - or was at the height of his popularity so star quality sort of takes a new meaning for me. I don't know. I don't hire based off SQ myself, my BCG is performance over pop and in a way, performance over SQ. Fortunately as a regional company, SQ is also something you don't have to fret as much about.

Hold off on the 2013 mod, get that 2001 mod done please I really want to play it.

I started a CV97 file with SWF. I don't usually play as sports entertainment companies because they're a lot more of a handful to book vs. wrestling heavy companies. I also don't really care for the storyline mechanism but a personal quirk with me prevents me from disabling much of the challenging features aside from Dirt Sheet/Grades vs. Numbers. So I stick with it. How do you usually approach booking sports entertainment entities in TEW? Another reason I've never played SWF is because they're huge, bigger roster than I like (I actually like to minimize my roster size), and have no competition (I don't think A.I. HGC will ever pose a problem but you never know?). I've made it challenging for myself by making Richard Eisen supremely arrogant in placing Eric Eisen as the new booker, making him the figurehead and debuting him by winning a battle royal and beating Sam Keith in the main event to win the SWF World Heavyweight Championship on his 'debut'. It's an interesting scenario and should give HGC room to grow and usurp 1st place in SWF as I try to book around Eric Eisen

So have you not gotten into a game between building up the 2001 mod?

Rebel Heart

Status
      Country                    England

Are current day mods available for this yet? because I'm tempted to give this a play.

Rusev Day Smod

Status

Same as Ed, when one becomes available I'll almost certainly give it a go.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

Status

I've actually been reading your updates on the other forum. Quite enjoy it. Evolving the product makes sense - it allows you to target workers who can help you but wouldn't fit the default company. Especially a women's division, since you won't have Burning Hammer, PGHW, and GCG stealing them on you.

I do not have a proper save going yet. Was toying around with both TCW and Burning Hammer but never committed. Its fairly normal for me on a game like TEW or Football Manager to take my time before getting into a save. The Cverse isn't grabbing me, but that's at least partly because of the testing. I was toying around in the Cverse 2016 data since February. I had a lot of short games. Nothing too long, because of the nature of beta testing, but a lot of different ones. That's part of what is making the Cverse less appealing.

I'm really looking forward to ThunderVerse as well, whether its just a conversion from 2013 or not. And there are a couple of historical mods that I would love to try out when they are released proper.

You are definitely right on Star Quality. It does seem like it rises more on 2016 than it did on 2013. That's something I've been meaning to test for properly on some sims.

Daniel Bryan is a tough one. I feel like he's overpowered at the start - much like CM Punk and Samoa Joe - but the reality is that they were all capable of legit 5 star matches within a few years of their debut, which is horribly abnormal. So "overpowered" is probably accurate. I wouldn't feel right giving DB SQ in the mid 80s. I'm thinking around C or C+, which is still high enough that he will still get used in an AI run promotion. I might have to go a bit lower even if it does rise as much as I've seen it for a few workers. As big a star as DB became, it was despite his SQ, not because of it. If they had equal SQ, his career arc would probably be closer to that of CM Punk.

I think part of why 2013 is tempting me is that the tweaking/adjusting would be relatively easy. That RW community forum is pretty slick and seems rather accurate. But yes, it will wait.

Ah the 97 mod. I've never really gotten into it, despite my Cverse love. I think I just get caught up in trying to have it evolve like it did, targeting young workers who would become great workers 5-8 years later, etc. Not entirely different from real world historical mods, but I feel like I'm more patient in those.

I find Sports Entertainment the easiest thing to run, to be honest. You just focus on your most popular workers, build around angles, and storylines. I just make sure to book strong angles, as they can carry your card. Even if he isn't in a feud, just putting the likes of Christian Faith on the mic is an easy A. Boom. Main event is a tag match of random main eventers, or a ME vs UMC. Easy B or B+. A secondary main event that will grab a C+ or B-. Make sure you all of your top talent is on the show in some manner. Show is an easy B or better. Rinse and repeat. The key is not getting caught up on in-ring ability. It matters, but less. So someone like Remo, who doesn't look like a fantastic in-ring talent but is a grade machine. Existing popularity is hugely helpful. The ability to talk is monstrously helpful. Star Quality and Charisma are massive. You really need to value your roster differently.

What I value when hiring depends on the company. I really realized that when booking PWI in the Tverse on TEW 2013. I would have a long list of always-hire guys for running the AWF, but when I started toying with PWI, I had to change it up. PWI couldn't afford that many new contracts, but a lot of the guys would simply never be PWI-type workers, no matter how they developed. Top row skills matter more in a performance-based company. With an SE company, a guy with top row skills of all D or lower can still be quite useful if the other skills are above solid. I almost always run bigger companies and they either have or I open a developmental promotion. So that plays significantly into who I target to hire. Star Quality is something I always value, though. A combo of high SQ and high Athleticism pretty much makes good potential a certainty for a younger worker. They may never develop into truly world class workers, but they should become good wrestlers at the very least And useful with that SQ.

Status

Just saw the comments from Ed and Order. Fleisch has released the first beta version of his current day mod. Its a bit overpowered and easy to run, but that also makes it fun for a lot of folks. Forlan has his underway. A couple historical betas out as well. Within a month, I expect more of the proper finalized conversions to start being released.

Rusev Day Smod

Status

Just saw the comments from Ed and Order. Fleisch has released the first beta version of his current day mod. Its a bit overpowered and easy to run, but that also makes it fun for a lot of folks. Forlan has his underway. A couple historical betas out as well. Within a month, I expect more of the proper finalized conversions to start being released.
    Okay cool, I actually have a whole week off in June so I might jump on this then. Will probably need some help with getting the right mod and version etc so will keep you posted.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

I've actually been reading your updates on the other forum. Quite enjoy it. Evolving the product makes sense - it allows you to target workers who can help you but wouldn't fit the default company. Especially a women's division, since you won't have Burning Hammer, PGHW, and GCG stealing them on you.

I do not have a proper save going yet. Was toying around with both TCW and Burning Hammer but never committed. Its fairly normal for me on a game like TEW or Football Manager to take my time before getting into a save. The Cverse isn't grabbing me, but that's at least partly because of the testing. I was toying around in the Cverse 2016 data since February. I had a lot of short games. Nothing too long, because of the nature of beta testing, but a lot of different ones. That's part of what is making the Cverse less appealing.

I'm really looking forward to ThunderVerse as well, whether its just a conversion from 2013 or not. And there are a couple of historical mods that I would love to try out when they are released proper.

You are definitely right on Star Quality. It does seem like it rises more on 2016 than it did on 2013. That's something I've been meaning to test for properly on some sims.

Daniel Bryan is a tough one. I feel like he's overpowered at the start - much like CM Punk and Samoa Joe - but the reality is that they were all capable of legit 5 star matches within a few years of their debut, which is horribly abnormal. So "overpowered" is probably accurate. I wouldn't feel right giving DB SQ in the mid 80s. I'm thinking around C or C+, which is still high enough that he will still get used in an AI run promotion. I might have to go a bit lower even if it does rise as much as I've seen it for a few workers. As big a star as DB became, it was despite his SQ, not because of it. If they had equal SQ, his career arc would probably be closer to that of CM Punk.

I think part of why 2013 is tempting me is that the tweaking/adjusting would be relatively easy. That RW community forum is pretty slick and seems rather accurate. But yes, it will wait.

Ah the 97 mod. I've never really gotten into it, despite my Cverse love. I think I just get caught up in trying to have it evolve like it did, targeting young workers who would become great workers 5-8 years later, etc. Not entirely different from real world historical mods, but I feel like I'm more patient in those.

I find Sports Entertainment the easiest thing to run, to be honest. You just focus on your most popular workers, build around angles, and storylines. I just make sure to book strong angles, as they can carry your card. Even if he isn't in a feud, just putting the likes of Christian Faith on the mic is an easy A. Boom. Main event is a tag match of random main eventers, or a ME vs UMC. Easy B or B+. A secondary main event that will grab a C+ or B-. Make sure you all of your top talent is on the show in some manner. Show is an easy B or better. Rinse and repeat. The key is not getting caught up on in-ring ability. It matters, but less. So someone like Remo, who doesn't look like a fantastic in-ring talent but is a grade machine. Existing popularity is hugely helpful. The ability to talk is monstrously helpful. Star Quality and Charisma are massive. You really need to value your roster differently.

What I value when hiring depends on the company. I really realized that when booking PWI in the Tverse on TEW 2013. I would have a long list of always-hire guys for running the AWF, but when I started toying with PWI, I had to change it up. PWI couldn't afford that many new contracts, but a lot of the guys would simply never be PWI-type workers, no matter how they developed. Top row skills matter more in a performance-based company. With an SE company, a guy with top row skills of all D or lower can still be quite useful if the other skills are above solid. I almost always run bigger companies and they either have or I open a developmental promotion. So that plays significantly into who I target to hire. Star Quality is something I always value, though. A combo of high SQ and high Athleticism pretty much makes good potential a certainty for a younger worker. They may never develop into truly world class workers, but they should become good wrestlers at the very least And useful with that SQ.
    I totally agree that Daniel Bryan's SQ ordinarily shouldn't be sky high and he got big in spite of his SQ but I don't think that can be reflected in TEW because of how national battles now work. Whereas IRL he was easily a top 3 draw (I would say that maybe Brock Lesnar was above him, John Cena if you really want to go that way but I think he was above Cena at that particular point) but really in the game he wouldn't be good enough to be a top 3 draw, he'd be a 4/5 at best if you could get him to maxed out pop which is obviously easier said than done in a way. I think the National Battle system is cool but still needs a bit of tweaking and should also not be universal (in Japan I don't think SQ would be nearly as big of a factor in the AJPW/NJPW as it is in Mexico or America). With the system how it is now, you need at least 2 guys with 90 SQ, and another with 80+ SQ with pops real high if you want to dominate the national scene because companies like SOTBPW, TCW, SWF, etc. are all up there. I assume in your mod, Austin and Rock will pretty much ensure WWF has 4K SQ as well. WCW is deffo a long time away from competing but unless guys like AJ/Daniel Bryan/Joe/Punk have substantial SQ, you might not even be able to build around them long term. It of course, depends on how they rise.

That said, it does bring an interesting situation. Will you push someone else because of how the National Battle scene works instead of guys you'd have originally pushed in 2013?

SWF in CV97 is interesting because despite being a PG TV Sports Entertainment company, it has a great deal of work rate guys in the likes of Sean McFly, and Sam Keith leading the charge who don't necessarily have insane entertainment or SQ skills. Fortunately with HGC at Cult, they can pretty much afford doing that. It seems like when you take up CV97's SWF, with Sam Keith as your world champ and him influencing Richard Eisen into more modern-style booking, and the guys like Tommy Cornell rising through, that SWF is heading more in the direction of TCW than it is in the direction of what they are in current day CV97. If I wasn't using Eric Eisen as the center piece, I might keep going down that trail but with Eric there and Sam Keith sure to be pissed off, I have a feeling we won't be going that direction.

My biggest issue with CV97 is still probably the lack of significant long term competition. I'd like a narrative that brings in a 25-50M company in the future to really give SWF a run for the money because HGC won't and USPW's bank isn't good enough to do it either. Not to mention SOTBPW isn't going to start in any shape or form ready to compete, particularly with a lack of Champagne Lover to carry them.

PWI will probably be my first TV file. Or I might go back to HONOR. Not sure yet.

Status

The US scene in CV 97 might look pretty static... but remember, a lot of additions were built around the idea of "game changers" that significantly alter a scene over time. You can have a poisonous backstage develop, workers walking out, and of course scandals. So don't be shocked if the scene ends up getting altered by some of those factors.

Star Quality is a tough one, but I think the new approach is legit. I saw Derek describe it somewhere (not sure if it was the GDS site or somewhere else) and he pointed out that Star Quality was still a key factor in Japan, but that it was simply a slightly different measure of what SQ is. In North America, it tends to be a wrestler looking like an action movie here or a comic book hero, at least for males. In Japan, its more an aura of toughness. You can go back to Rikidzodan, Baba, and Inoki and they all had that. Most of the top stars since have had that - Fujinama, Tenryu, Hashimoto, Choshu, Kobashi, Hansen, Sasaki, Tenzen, Tsurta, Muto, Kawada, Misawa.... They almost all have that "legit badass vibe" to some extent. More contemporary New Japan stars like Okada and Tanahashi have that more US-style Star Quality vibe. Truly, I'm not sure if you can point to a national-level company succeeding over an extending period without anyone that would have higher Star Quality.

Regarding DB, I think having C or C+ Star Quality keeps him from being a good Figurehead but that's about it. He can still be a top star, and while he might hurt your cumulative SQ score a bit, it makes up for it in match grades. But he won't be effective as the face of your company. Same was true of Chris Benoit.

I don't know that I'll alter my approach all that much. Booker T has pretty decent SQ. Sean O'Haire does too, though he needs to develop significantly to be useful at the top of the card. I've done test sims where the AI hires Cena to either WCW or the WWF and he gets moved up the card, so he will be very useful. Styles has decent SQ as well. And if I do bring in Michaels.... Sting and Flair could also come back once they are available. So could Goldberg, though I'm not really tempted to do that unless I'm desperate for Star Quality.

The WWF is set up to go through some changes. I have it set to ensure Austin retires when he actually did, and when playing, I will likely send The Rock off into Hollywood when he actually left in 2003. That leaves the WWE relying on Tripe H, The Undertaker (already on Time Decline), Angle, Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero, Big Show, Edge, Kane, Christian... I'm not sure any of those would be better than a B+ Star Quality - that's obviously subjective, but going by the Community project ratings.... Lesnar and Batista would be above that, but the AI doesn't tend to build them up quickly. Same with Randy Orton, who is probably right about B+. So I don't think the WWE will be in that strong of a position a little ways into a game either. And that's not even accounting for the random events that can have an impact - someone being involved with a scandal, someone doing a movie and getting a SQ bump to max....

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

The US scene in CV 97 might look pretty static... but remember, a lot of additions were built around the idea of "game changers" that significantly alter a scene over time. You can have a poisonous backstage develop, workers walking out, and of course scandals. So don't be shocked if the scene ends up getting altered by some of those factors.

Star Quality is a tough one, but I think the new approach is legit. I saw Derek describe it somewhere (not sure if it was the GDS site or somewhere else) and he pointed out that Star Quality was still a key factor in Japan, but that it was simply a slightly different measure of what SQ is. In North America, it tends to be a wrestler looking like an action movie here or a comic book hero, at least for males. In Japan, its more an aura of toughness. You can go back to Rikidzodan, Baba, and Inoki and they all had that. Most of the top stars since have had that - Fujinama, Tenryu, Hashimoto, Choshu, Kobashi, Hansen, Sasaki, Tenzen, Tsurta, Muto, Kawada, Misawa.... They almost all have that "legit badass vibe" to some extent. More contemporary New Japan stars like Okada and Tanahashi have that more US-style Star Quality vibe. Truly, I'm not sure if you can point to a national-level company succeeding over an extending period without anyone that would have higher Star Quality.

Regarding DB, I think having C or C+ Star Quality keeps him from being a good Figurehead but that's about it. He can still be a top star, and while he might hurt your cumulative SQ score a bit, it makes up for it in match grades. But he won't be effective as the face of your company. Same was true of Chris Benoit.

I don't know that I'll alter my approach all that much. Booker T has pretty decent SQ. Sean O'Haire does too, though he needs to develop significantly to be useful at the top of the card. I've done test sims where the AI hires Cena to either WCW or the WWF and he gets moved up the card, so he will be very useful. Styles has decent SQ as well. And if I do bring in Michaels.... Sting and Flair could also come back once they are available. So could Goldberg, though I'm not really tempted to do that unless I'm desperate for Star Quality.

The WWF is set up to go through some changes. I have it set to ensure Austin retires when he actually did, and when playing, I will likely send The Rock off into Hollywood when he actually left in 2003. That leaves the WWE relying on Tripe H, The Undertaker (already on Time Decline), Angle, Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero, Big Show, Edge, Kane, Christian... I'm not sure any of those would be better than a B+ Star Quality - that's obviously subjective, but going by the Community project ratings.... Lesnar and Batista would be above that, but the AI doesn't tend to build them up quickly. Same with Randy Orton, who is probably right about B+. So I don't think the WWE will be in that strong of a position a little ways into a game either. And that's not even accounting for the random events that can have an impact - someone being involved with a scandal, someone doing a movie and getting a SQ bump to max....
    I've been tempted to let SWF's backstage rot. Reduced a bunch of the backstage expenses and with guys like Sam Keith pissed, backstage is in the 50s. I think Eric Eisen's title reign might even get SWF kicked off their network.

Fair enough. So I guess it seems the SQ standard here might be lower than the CVerse. Where you had guys a plenty with 90+ SQ to carry a company. Most of the guys with significant SQ here seem like they'll be over the hill or on their way to retirement. Sucks that Taker is on time decline, guess that means he's not about to bust 15 more years of wrestling? Can you stall time decline with reduced bookings?

The National Battle system however means that outdoing the other company in terms of how good the show is matters less now. So long as you're meeting the necessary ratings your broadcasters want you to, and I suppose meeting the right rating for the tiniest of pop gains, you don't actually need to book better quality shows than the other company does. So while Daniel Bryan can probably still bust out 90 rated matches the way NOTBPW does, it might be near pointless if the other company can just rack up main events with SQ. NOTBPW is pretty much powerless against SWF despite easily putting on the best shows in the world. When SWF are stealing Aaron Andrews and Nicky Champion and Owen love, it matters little if their shows are consistently 10 points lower than NOTBPW's.

I think IRL, Daniel Bryan can work as the face of your company. Wouldn't compare him to Chris Benoit either with the way DB swung the crowd onto his side. Don't think Benoit was ever as popular as DB was. Though I guess rather DB is Figurehead quality or not is a debate for another time.

I don't mind the new system but I don't think its perfect yet, I still think it needs some tweaking. Oh and on that note, wish Adam hadn't basically made the national battle start in the CVerse a question of who can sign Marat Khoklov. Because that's really all it is. Khoklov's SQ/Pop swings the tide to any of the three that end up bringing him in.

Thread Information