Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: TEW 2016

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: TEW 2016

Round Robin Challenge was my second event, in a twist from real life, I made it about tag teams instead of Ki/Bryan/Daniels.

Opening match was the first of the Round Robin Challenge. Kings of Wrestling lost to the Briscoe Brothers (two of the most popular guys in the company). They both won their matches last week and both teams really brought it though and I'm sure the next time these two face off, when Kings of Wrestling up their popularity to a nice enough level, it could end up going the other way. C-.

Ric Flair fought valiantly against Dalip Singh and beat him (at risk of an injury). D-. Ric Flair was a bit better this week but 12 year time decline still mostly killed him. He's also on pain killers which also hurts his performances and of course Singh is a long term project.

Rottweilers faced off against the Second City Saints. Homicide was the guy to get pinned in last week's fatal four way so this was his chance to redeem himself against one of the guys who didn't get pinned, CM Punk. This was also Colt Cabana's debut (fans hated his fun babyface gimmick ). Punk was much better than everyone else but it was a good match overall. Low Ki vs. CM Punk will probably emerge from Low Ki pinning Cabana in this one. C-

Huge six pack challenge. Jay Lethal, Dos Caras Jr., CIMA, Jimmy Jacobs, Fergal Devitt and new gen Martel Moncey (I'm not a fan of the render so I may give him a new one after he gets demasked). Dos Caras, Fergal and CIMA performed really well in this match with Fergal, considering his age, being the surprise hit. He's developed extremely well across the first year. CIMA was the victor in this one, he's another who has developed incredibly. D rated match brought down by subpart performances from Lethal and Moncey.

Second of the round robin challenge was the Briscoe Brothers against the United Kingdom. Briscoe Brothers won again for a clean sweep of the night. Another good effort from both sides, Nigel is a bit behind Doug but Doug is also incredibly good so I'm not surprised. C-

Great Sasuke made his debut against Volador Jr. with a pretty good victory in a high spots match. Volador Jr. is definitely a project and like with WCW, Volador Jr. seems a step behind but he's got plenty of time to learn here in ROH. D.

Kings of Wrestling faced off against United Kingdom in the last round robin match of the night, both looking for a single victory. Last time KoW won but this time United Kingdom steal it. Nigel was unfortunately pretty subpar in this one but otherwise it maintained pace with teh other pair of tag matches. C-. Kayfabe perspective, Briscoes seem to be the absolute best tag team but KoW and UK, as shown by this slightly lengthier match, are near on pace.

Roderick Strong made his debut against Austin Aries but fell victim to the 450 Splash. Both of these guys are extremely similar and I may pair them up as an incarnation of Generation Next. They're not ready to make any push up their card so this would allow them to gain experience and make for a ready made feud when they split down the line. E+. Worst match of the night thus far.

Sting vs. Christopher Daniels was the main event. Christopher Daniels took the Icon past the twenty minute mark and was desperate to make his mark but unfortunately tapped out to the Scorpion Deathlock in the main event though clearly putting Sting on notice that the future is here, even if Daniels is the veteran of that pack. Easily MOTN. B rated match that past the 80 mark. Sting was great as to be expected but Daniels had one of the best performances of the night, CM Punk aside.

C rated show tops the one from last week.

Next event is Night of Appreciation. Not quite sure if I'll see if I can loan Eddie Guerrero or not. Ric Flair's injury actually injures him for an entire year. I want to release him but since he's Cena's mentor and good locker room leader, I'll just keep him till he retires. Got deals with AJPW/NJPW to bring in Eddie/Rey for one night but the fact that they're on touring deals prevents me from getting them in so I think I'll have to skip Night of Appreciation.

-----------------

No One

Status

Quote Originally Posted by DarkestEarth View Post
    Thanks BP but I have already decided to try and run a Jimmy Havoc type storyline for Punk when he debuts. In which he will be in good matches but always seem to just miss out on winning, causing him to be like an underdog. This would cause Shane McMahon to offer words of encouragement after a particularly hardcore match and it would have Punk kick the crap out of him with chairs, turning him heel. Allowing him to be able to cut long promos and go after most of the people that beat him with the end goal being at New Blood Rising, Punk challenging Booker (whether he wins or not would matter on his pop at the time). Which gives me 8 months to make Punk credible for the face of the company.

So Starrcade happened as well as the end of year awards! I'll cover the important stuff of Starrcade:

Kidman def. TAKA, Tajiri & Kaz Hayashi in the opening cruiserweight match which got a B rating. Haven't decided where I am going with these guys but I have created a packed cruiserweight division, to which I will create a huge feud for but just have decided what yet.

Jamie Noble & Psicosis def. Shane Helms & Jushin Liger when Helms turned on Liger during the match, even beating him down after the match. I think Noble will be moving onto the cruiserweight champion after this while Helms has turned fully heel and will be blaming Liger for all of his shortcomings, citing his debut as his downfall as cruiserweight champion and always losing his rematches after that. B Rating

Masato Tanaka retained by beating Shane Douglas, Kanyon & D'Lo Brown in an elimination match with Shane Douglas being the last man eliminated. B+ Rating

Not long after that Eddie Guerrero made his debut in a talking segment with Shane Douglas, on Douglas's one night "highlight reel" type segment. B+ Rating

Malicious Intent finally win the tag championships by beating Kronik & The Court. Malicious Intent will stay in the tag team division, especially with some of the tag teams I am bringing into the fold. The Court however will be brought into a big storyline which should span for a few months. B+ Rating

DDP defeated Sean O'Haire in the first of a series, chose to have DDP win the big match at Starrcade but planning on having Sean O'Haire win the feud overall. Felt that with so many of the youngsters going over, having the "established" DDP win a big match at Starrcade to start to transition into the Undertaker type role at Starrcade. B Rating

AJ Styles beat Chavo Guerrero Jnr for the Cruiserweight championship to complete the BOTSJ getting over as a huge opportunity for cruiserweights. Also had Chavo shake AJ Styles's hand and turned him face, with the tag team division ahead for him as he will team up with his uncle Eddie Guerrero for now until I decide to move Eddie into the main event fully. [B- Rating]

RVD beat Curt Hennig in the feud ender which brought in an A Rating

And then the main event happened....Booker T ending his near on 6 month feud with Raven and taking back the WCW championship with the setting of making it an "Epic". Well they did that! A* Rating! Near on 30 minutes of a match and Booker T establishing him as still the face of WCW. With this match it meant that every member of the Court lost their matches at the biggest show of the year which leads into the main storyline for WCW for the next few months. With a main event and such great ratings, Starrcade got an A rating just like Mayhem! Very pleased with the show overall.

As for the end of the year awards....well WCW completely dominated really!

Wrestler of the year was Jushin "Thunder" Lyger (bit of a strange one to be honest), Storm & Awesome won the tag team of the year, DDP the veteran wrestler of the year, WCW winning company of the year, Booker vs Raven at Starrcade winning match of the year (no brainer really), Joey Styles winning announcer of the year, Heenan colour commentator of the year and Mayhem winning the show of the year!

Have Nitro coming up which will bring in Punk, Daniels, Corino & Samoa Joe's debuts onto the main roster. Can't wait to transition them all in!

I'm also intrigued by your ROH save, will be interesting to see how differently things go!
    Will you be giving Raven & The Court rematches. I imagine a Malicious Intent vs. Court rematch might even crack an A+. Really start of the show is that main event which you perfectly built up over a long stretch of time, and it must feel pretty rewarding to see your lengthy 6 month build up lead to your MOTY. RVD/Hennig also did better than I expected but AJ Styles vs. Chavo has to be a bit of a disappointment considering how well AJ's been doing. Chavo seems to be like his IRL self in that despite being skilled, he's just not a big time performer. Liger's working in multiple places so he's just got fat stacks of good/great matches across the world.

-----------

Interesting King of the Ring main event, absolute hoss fight. Bubba beat Edge for KOTR and Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle was a stunner. Also Ricky Morton (45 y/o) and Stevie Richards are the tag team champions.

And they just dropped to cult
    Last edited by Happy Jon; 08-04-2016 at 06:10 PM.

No One

Status

TRIPLE POST.

Road to the Title happened. Unfortunately didn't get booked as I'd have liked because Liger and Mutoh's pop meant they weren't going to accept losing to any of the guys with greater pop than them in the tri-state area.

Block A: had Sting vs. Hero & Corino vs. Great Sasuke. Of the first, just a point behind the Daniels/Sting match that came before, but a godly match nonetheless where Hero succumbed to the Scorpion Deathdrop in a B rated match. Corino & Sasuke had great chemistry which made for a pretty good C rated match, gave Corino the victory (thank god no Sasuke complaint) though Corino is working with an injury, I want to keep him strong and push him when he's healthy. Corino gave the best performance of anyone in ROH so far not named Sting.

Block B: Ken Shamrock vs. Colt Cabana & Doug Williams vs. Christopher Daniels. Ken Shamrock is built in a way where he excels against guys with good psych so his match against Colt was a bit underwhelming but still solid all things considered. I imagine it'd be a fun match to watch IRL with Shamrock not giving a fuck about Cabana's comedic antics. C-. Christopher Daniels, after his brilliant match against Sting goes forward here but in hindsight, Doug may have meshed better with Shamrock. Still, C- rated match with Doug maybe not being at his best.

Block C: CM Punk vs. Homicide and Keiji Mutoh vs. Low Ki. I was hoping for a Punk vs. Low Ki final but Mutoh wasn't letting that happen and I'm not ready to steer away from clean finishes in ROH yet. Punk beat Homicide in another good match, Homicide isn't all that good so I suspect he'll never be more than Low Ki's tag partner or a mid carder here in ROH but Hernandez's eventual arrival should give him something more to do down the line. C-. Keiji Mutoh vs. Low Ki was good but I imagine it would've been better to save Low Ki for a loss in the second round and have him go over Punk in the first round. C rated one makes this better than anything Block B had.

Block D: Jay Briscoe vs. Mark Briscoe and Jushin Liger vs. Super Crazy. Another one where I wanted a Jay Briscoe vs. Mark Briscoe final since they had solid pop but Liger wasn't willing to put anyone over without being pissed so it happened first round. Jay went over Mark in the worst match so far (D) but that was to be expected considering their youth. On that same note, both of them seemed off their game from my perspective. Super Crazy vs. Jushin Liger went high spots and definitely delivered with the second best match of the night so far. Jushin Liger went over in the C+ rated battle, and this is actually Super Crazy's debut, he's one of the best guys available to hire in the ring so I'm glad to have him but seeing as he works the day when 99% of my roster is free, I can't give him much of a push yet. Also forgot to give Super Crazy a unique gimmick so now he's stuck with the mysterious one which like No Gimmick Needed/Old School Face (or heel) are pretty overused.

Sting vs. Steve Corino was up next (I think I made a mistake, it was supposed to be a bit later in the night) but an off-game Corino stopped this from stealing the show though it was good nevertheless thanks to Sting's prowess. B rated match.

Intermission time (this was supposed to be before Sting/Corino) meant some break matches.

MCMG vs. Generation Next vs. Steenerico: Gave the win to Steenerico since Kevin Steen is probably the best performer of the 6. Overall solid D but these are lower carders right now so nothing to fret. With the slight pop gain, Roddy and Aries were a lot better than in their debuts.

Claudio Castagnoli faced Nigel McGuiness because both men's partners were in the tournament. Claudio who's been better than Nigel so far got the victory in the European battle but Nigel outperformed him. Another D.

Had a ten men battle royal for the pure title which Samoa Joe won, this contained everyone else not on the card. C-.

Ken Shamrock went over Christopher Daniels to resume the tournament. Pretty good match. C+ Shamrock moves onto the final next event.

Hugely underwhelming Jay Briscoe vs. Liger match followed with Liger not really being that good and Jay Briscoe continuing a mediocre night. D+.

Keiji Mutoh beat CM Punk in the main event. Like Daniels vs. Sting, Punk really took Mutoh to the limit but couldn't pull out the victory. Unfortunately, easily surpassed by a few other matches on teh card. C rated one and the opening Hero/Sting carries the show.

Good C rated show. Next time, Mutoh, Liger, Shamrock and Sting fave off in an old man 60 minute Iron Man!

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    Will you be giving Raven & The Court rematches. I imagine a Malicious Intent vs. Court rematch might even crack an A+. Really start of the show is that main event which you perfectly built up over a long stretch of time, and it must feel pretty rewarding to see your lengthy 6 month build up lead to your MOTY. RVD/Hennig also did better than I expected but AJ Styles vs. Chavo has to be a bit of a disappointment considering how well AJ's been doing. Chavo seems to be like his IRL self in that despite being skilled, he's just not a big time performer. Liger's working in multiple places so he's just got fat stacks of good/great matches across the world.

-----------

Interesting King of the Ring main event, absolute hoss fight. Bubba beat Edge for KOTR and Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle was a stunner. Also Ricky Morton (45 y/o) and Stevie Richards are the tag team champions.

And they just dropped to cult
    Well the first Nitro is going to be mostly about The Courts failings at the biggest show of the year with Raven placing Hennig and Storm/Awesome in matches to prove their worth. Hennig beat D'Lo whilst Storm/Awesome lost their rematch against Malicious Intent on the main event. That is when Raven debuted his new team, Daniels & Corino, and along with Raven and Hennig, they beat down Storm/Awesome to turn them face.

This is the storyline for the Court for the next 6+ months so Raven won't get his rematch anytime soon but it will be "in the bank" so that when I want Raven back up there, I can automatically have a story for it. Booker is preoccupied with Douglas for now whilst I elevate people around them so Book has a more exciting feud next.

Punk debuted by losing to Douglas whilst Samoa Joe destroyed Mike Sanders. Both long term projects before being placed in any actual storylines with people.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Status

Okay, so I adjusted Sting and Flair, which should hopefully see them stay more usable. I also tweaked Hogan but he still retires which is kinda annoying. I also tweaked Stephanie's booking skill, which was significantly lower than I thought. Ran 3 tests - the first two saw the WWF stay at National but they dropped on the third one. So I ended up tweaking some worker popularity amongst the WWF upper card. A few guys got bumped a grade but nothing too serious. Two tests and it seems to have done the trick. The grades a bit higher than I'd like to see but its a trade off. The other option I could have used would have been to adjust the regional importance's back up, but that would also allow WCW to grow faster and I didn't like that one.

I'll run another test or two but looking good.

Status

Can you lay out who is in The Court again, DE. I know you posted it but I'm feeling awfully lazy right now to go digging lol. Enjoying these recaps.

Jon, how has the ROH growth been off those first couple of shows? I cannot get the AI to replicate ROH and they seem to suffer from being in a region bloated with existing promotions which makes them just kinda stagnate. Also keep posting your recaps or you will be hunted down and punished.

So I did start up a '97 Montreal Aftermath game as the WWF. Used Shawn Michaels as my user character as its basically impossible to keep him happy and actually on the roster otherwise. I didn't get anywhere yet - opened up a developmental territory I creatively called NXT and started hiring some prospects. Hard not to just raid the fuck out of ECW lol. I'm intrigued by the WWF in this period - its one of my favorite time periods, even if it wasn't as great as we tend to remember - but I also have a feeling I'll do a lot of things similar to how they actually played out and that gets boring. I want to make better use of Owen Hart post-Montreal than they really did, but the rebellious anti-authority character he should probably get is too close to Stone Cold and he isn't supplanting Austin, so....

At some point, tackling ECW with this mod or even a '98 mod would be pretty interesting. Given how big the WCW and WWF rosters were, you might actually be able to avoid them poaching ALL of your talent right away.

Got a three-day weekend, though Saturday is a full-day write-off, so hopefully I can run a few more tests and make sure the tweaked WWF popularity levels work and then I can say "finito" to 1.2. Not sure if I will dive right back into a WCW game again or stick with the '97 WWF for a bit. That's my big decision for the next few days. Life is hard sometimes.

No One

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Can you lay out who is in The Court again, DE. I know you posted it but I'm feeling awfully lazy right now to go digging lol. Enjoying these recaps.

Jon, how has the ROH growth been off those first couple of shows? I cannot get the AI to replicate ROH and they seem to suffer from being in a region bloated with existing promotions which makes them just kinda stagnate. Also keep posting your recaps or you will be hunted down and punished.

So I did start up a '97 Montreal Aftermath game as the WWF. Used Shawn Michaels as my user character as its basically impossible to keep him happy and actually on the roster otherwise. I didn't get anywhere yet - opened up a developmental territory I creatively called NXT and started hiring some prospects. Hard not to just raid the fuck out of ECW lol. I'm intrigued by the WWF in this period - its one of my favorite time periods, even if it wasn't as great as we tend to remember - but I also have a feeling I'll do a lot of things similar to how they actually played out and that gets boring. I want to make better use of Owen Hart post-Montreal than they really did, but the rebellious anti-authority character he should probably get is too close to Stone Cold and he isn't supplanting Austin, so....

At some point, tackling ECW with this mod or even a '98 mod would be pretty interesting. Given how big the WCW and WWF rosters were, you might actually be able to avoid them poaching ALL of your talent right away.

Got a three-day weekend, though Saturday is a full-day write-off, so hopefully I can run a few more tests and make sure the tweaked WWF popularity levels work and then I can say "finito" to 1.2. Not sure if I will dive right back into a WCW game again or stick with the '97 WWF for a bit. That's my big decision for the next few days. Life is hard sometimes.
    I've had a 58, 64, 64 across three shows so going up .3% in pop each month at 38 so ideally that means 36 shows to hit 50 pop and get a TV deal so probably by the end of the year, if I was only doing a show a month, probably by 2005 but ROH can afford enough shows so I don't need to hold back. I'm also breaking even each show despite guys like Sting, and Flair performing. JAPW/CZW can only pull D-rated shows so it's really easy to top them in the Tri-State battle. The AI just isn't smart or aggressive enough to sign the right guys and put on the right amount of shows, and such.

My idea for Owen Hart was always to run with the Black Hart gimmick, have him beat Shawn Michaels at RR, have a competitive feud with Austin to Wrestlemania and then join the authority at Wrestlemania instead of giving Austin his moment. I think it fits with Russo's style of unexpected swerves and has the perfect effect with Owen Hart joining the guy that screwed his brother and got his brother out of the way so he could finally elevate to the top spot, and no doubt, it would get him crazy heat. Austin would have to savor his moment for the next Wrestlemania or perhaps Summerslam. In all honesty, I might end up running another MA just so I can really go through with those plans. It would get you HBK, Austin, Rock and Owen Hart as your premier stars.

Crowning a champion is my next event so we'll see what I roll with for the rest of the car past the colossal main event.

Status

I've had a 58, 64, 64 across three shows so going up .3% in pop each month at 38 so ideally that means 36 shows to hit 50 pop and get a TV deal so probably by the end of the year, if I was only doing a show a month, probably by 2005 but ROH can afford enough shows so I don't need to hold back. I'm also breaking even each show despite guys like Sting, and Flair performing. JAPW/CZW can only pull D-rated shows so it's really easy to top them in the Tri-State battle. The AI just isn't smart or aggressive enough to sign the right guys and put on the right amount of shows, and such.

My idea for Owen Hart was always to run with the Black Hart gimmick, have him beat Shawn Michaels at RR, have a competitive feud with Austin to Wrestlemania and then join the authority at Wrestlemania instead of giving Austin his moment. I think it fits with Russo's style of unexpected swerves and has the perfect effect with Owen Hart joining the guy that screwed his brother and got his brother out of the way so he could finally elevate to the top spot, and no doubt, it would get him crazy heat. Austin would have to savor his moment for the next Wrestlemania or perhaps Summerslam. In all honesty, I might end up running another MA just so I can really go through with those plans. It would get you HBK, Austin, Rock and Owen Hart as your premier stars.

Crowning a champion is my next event so we'll see what I roll with for the rest of the car past the colossal main event.
    If you are already breaking even, you could spam 2 shows a month every so often to jump the gains up a bit quicker. But yeah, solid grades for a company starting at that size. More than solid.

Agree on the AI. I tried using Hiring Rules like you suggested but it just didn't seem the AI-run ROH goes after who you want them to.

Hmmm.... the Black Hart gimmick was my thought too... but I don't know if I want to put him into the WM main event. That HBK-Austin main event has always held a special place in my heart because it was such a great build with DX, McMahon, and Tyson. One of my most fondly-remembered sequences as a young fan (I wasn't that young - was in university) but that makes me kinda wanna stick with the Austin-HBK aspect. Even making it a threeway... ahh, just doesn't connect for me. What I'm leaning towards is having Owen take a bit more of a dark, brooding approach. Shades of Crow-esque Sting without being too direct. He would emulate Austin in certain ways - butting heads with McMahon and such - but not as direct. They share common enemies but will not work together because of the history between them. I could see Foley on-screen trying to broker peace and team-work but Austin and Owen having none of it.

Status

Original Court was Raven, Curt Hennig, Lance Storm & Mike Awesome. New one is now Raven, Curt Hennig (couldn't think of anyone to replace him and I kind of don't want to with the potential he has to great matches), Christopher Daniels & Steve Corino. Thinking of maybe building Joe up and having him replace Hennig in the long term, to be the muscle of the group. Not 100% though as out of every project I have, Joe is the main long term I want to do. I am looking at building him for the next 2-3 years with a mind of having him as the "figurehead" when I get him high enough, and for that I think of Joe as a loner. However I don't want to build him too quickly so perhaps having him in the stable will stunt his growth for a while.

Also sorry Jon I was replying whilst at working. Yeah was slightly disappointed at the Styles/Chavo rating but really this was Chavo giving up the mantel and AJ taking over. The rating being that high is still a good sign for the division. Was ecstatic about the Booker/Raven match though, like you said 6 months of build to end in perfection!

No One

Status

Crowning a Champion time.

Last encounter between Kings of Wrestling and United Kingdom went on the side of the Kings of Wrestling. C- rated match is a good result and Chris Hero is a really talented member of the roster. Nigel still isn't that good though.

Samoa Joe wrecked Roderick Strong in his first ROH Pure title defense. They have great chemistry so we'll revisit this. D+

Homicide murdered Colt Cabana and they have bed chemistry. It's a dud at E+ but I'm having a mini story between the Rottweilers and the Second City Saints.

Briscoe Brothers faced off against Steenerico to continue establishing their supremacy as a tag team, and came away victorious with a C-. Didn't top the opening tag match but considering that had better build, I don't mind.

Super Crazy got a match against The Great Sasuke, high spots based and for some reason Great Sasuke just isn't that good despite his great stats, perhaps its his pop but in WCW, he kinda disappointed there too. Super Crazy is nice and sure to rise up the ROH card. C+ to take MOTN awards for now.

I remember Low Ki being extremely good in one of the first files, did he gets a nerf? In any case, he faced off against Punk and won thanks to timely Homicide interference which is the first non-clean win in ROH history. C- rated match.

Motor City Machine Guns fall short against Dos Caras Jr. and Volador Jr. in the last tag affair of the night. Mediocre match unfortunately but Volador Jr. is still growing and MCMG are my least popular guys on the roster. Dos Caras is pretty good so I gave him the pin to keep his steady build. D.

Matching the earlier Crazy/Sasuke match is Corino vs. Fergal Devitt. Devitt is really good in this, it'll be interesting to see if he'll become a big player for me, so far I'm not giving him a legit push though. Corino wins this, and he's probably at the top of the list of guys I want eventually beating Sting.

Wanted to keep Christopher Daniels, because like Corino, he's a guy I want to keep strong. He went over Austin Aries in a pretty solid C- rated match. Aries like a few other guys is a developing project.

Main event fatal four iron man match between Sting, Keiji Mutoh, Ken Shamrock and Jushin Liger wasn't a total dud like I expected. Sting was a god in this one and gave us a B rated match with his fellow veterans and legends. He takes the first ever ROH World Championship.

Best show so far. Bryan Danielson made his debut at the end to challenge Sting in his in-ring debut for the world title next show.

Status

So 2K1 v1.2 sent. I ran more tests last night. I can't get Hulk Hogan to stay active and I'm totally not sure why. His time Decline is set to start a couple years in and his physical condition should not be sufficient to cause quick retirement. I didn't try to up his Physical Condition significantly because that's not really accurate at all. If anyone really wants to use Hogan, you may want to edit his Physical Condition up 20 points.

Saw the WWF still drop to Cult on one test, but it doesn't seem to happen with any consistency. Even with the popularity tweaks, you just can't account for the AI making questionable decisions on who to push. If they pick Big Show, Rikishi, Kane, and the Dudleys rather than Benoit, Jericho, and Angle, its going to have an impact over time.

Sting as ROH world champ. That would give the company instant credibility.

Don't think Low Ki got a notable nerf at any recent point. I looked at the original data and he was actually a notable step below so he got buffed at some point in time.

I like that stable, DarkestEarth. Gonna avoid having any notable stables for the first bit of my WCW save but could end up with a similar group somewhere not too far down the road.

No One

Status

So 2K1 v1.2 sent. I ran more tests last night. I can't get Hulk Hogan to stay active and I'm totally not sure why. His time Decline is set to start a couple years in and his physical condition should not be sufficient to cause quick retirement. I didn't try to up his Physical Condition significantly because that's not really accurate at all. If anyone really wants to use Hogan, you may want to edit his Physical Condition up 20 points.

Saw the WWF still drop to Cult on one test, but it doesn't seem to happen with any consistency. Even with the popularity tweaks, you just can't account for the AI making questionable decisions on who to push. If they pick Big Show, Rikishi, Kane, and the Dudleys rather than Benoit, Jericho, and Angle, its going to have an impact over time.

Sting as ROH world champ. That would give the company instant credibility.

Don't think Low Ki got a notable nerf at any recent point. I looked at the original data and he was actually a notable step below so he got buffed at some point in time.

I like that stable, DarkestEarth. Gonna avoid having any notable stables for the first bit of my WCW save but could end up with a similar group somewhere not too far down the road.
    Have you tried giving him a retirement age like Sting and Ric Flair? Right now it's set to random where as Sting has 52 and Ric Flair has 59 (on the 1.1, havent checked 1.2). I'd set his up to 59 like Ric Flair (just according to Wikipedia listing 2013 as his retirement year).

EDIT: Added Hulk Hogan's retirement age to be 59 like Ric Flair. Should make sure he keeps on going for a while yet.
    Last edited by Happy Jon; 08-06-2016 at 03:53 PM.

Status

Crowning a Champion time.

Last encounter between Kings of Wrestling and United Kingdom went on the side of the Kings of Wrestling. C- rated match is a good result and Chris Hero is a really talented member of the roster. Nigel still isn't that good though.

Samoa Joe wrecked Roderick Strong in his first ROH Pure title defense. They have great chemistry so we'll revisit this. D+

Homicide murdered Colt Cabana and they have bed chemistry. It's a dud at E+ but I'm having a mini story between the Rottweilers and the Second City Saints.

Briscoe Brothers faced off against Steenerico to continue establishing their supremacy as a tag team, and came away victorious with a C-. Didn't top the opening tag match but considering that had better build, I don't mind.

Super Crazy got a match against The Great Sasuke, high spots based and for some reason Great Sasuke just isn't that good despite his great stats, perhaps its his pop but in WCW, he kinda disappointed there too. Super Crazy is nice and sure to rise up the ROH card. C+ to take MOTN awards for now.

I remember Low Ki being extremely good in one of the first files, did he gets a nerf? In any case, he faced off against Punk and won thanks to timely Homicide interference which is the first non-clean win in ROH history. C- rated match.

Motor City Machine Guns fall short against Dos Caras Jr. and Volador Jr. in the last tag affair of the night. Mediocre match unfortunately but Volador Jr. is still growing and MCMG are my least popular guys on the roster. Dos Caras is pretty good so I gave him the pin to keep his steady build. D.

Matching the earlier Crazy/Sasuke match is Corino vs. Fergal Devitt. Devitt is really good in this, it'll be interesting to see if he'll become a big player for me, so far I'm not giving him a legit push though. Corino wins this, and he's probably at the top of the list of guys I want eventually beating Sting.

Wanted to keep Christopher Daniels, because like Corino, he's a guy I want to keep strong. He went over Austin Aries in a pretty solid C- rated match. Aries like a few other guys is a developing project.

Main event fatal four iron man match between Sting, Keiji Mutoh, Ken Shamrock and Jushin Liger wasn't a total dud like I expected. Sting was a god in this one and gave us a B rated match with his fellow veterans and legends. He takes the first ever ROH World Championship.

Best show so far. Bryan Danielson made his debut at the end to challenge Sting in his in-ring debut for the world title next show.

Kings of Wrestling winning is awesome, simply loved that team when they were in ROH, especially their battles against WGTT. I have found that Hero is pretty talented on my save too but then anybody that has seen him (even now) knows how good he really is, so I find it realistic.

As I said before, one of my favourites of all time is Joe. Surely being an ROH side, you will be pushing Joe even more hard than I will be for WCW?

Briscoes for the win! woo!

Intrigued by the Rottweilers vs SCS feud, do you go into feuds like that with an automatic winner in mind? Or do you decide later on? I normally know from the start but I have been known to change my mind.

I was going to say that the main event didn't seem like an ROH match at all, let alone Sting as your champ, but you have Danielson challenging him for the title so it's probably a good idea for him to give the rub to all of the youngsters. Especially as being in the ring with him should improve their stats.

Thanks for the stat update BP, will probably just download it and import the changes for now. Really enjoying this save and planning on sticking with it for quite a while!

No One

Status

Attempt #3 with WCW. Only opened Outlaw and Dixie Belle, AOW will wait but I don't think I'll be going as sign-happy as I used to do. Sticking with the default product aside from face/heel split.

First thing I did was send a few guys to Outlaw: Air Paris, Chris Harris, James Storm, Johnny Stamboli, Mark Jindrak, Shannon Moore, and Shawn Stasiak. I think they're easily the weakest in the roster. Harris/Storm will get some time as America's Most Wanted to build chemistry. Jindrak and Stasiak will also pair up to build chemistry. The rest are there to just learn as much as they can. Air Paris is easily the weakest guy on the entire roster and doubtful he'll get anywhere, but it means Styles will quickly transition into AJ Styles. Sean O'Haire and Chuck Palumbo might follow after TGAB as well after they lose their tag team titles.

I'll be using Underground as a secondary brand without actually listing it as such.

Diamond Dallas Page, Fit Finlay, Road Warrior Animal are all on time decline and I'll probably try to siphon away Haku's pop too. I'll be going the predictable route with DDP, Raven going over.

Mike Awesome is a guy I'd really like to push into the main event this time and I'd like to do more with Shane Douglas who usually just fades down the card. He's got the right attributes, and can talk so I should really be doing more with him.

Gail Kim was hired on a PPA to manage Team Canada, hoping DBW also hire her so she can learn to work but she's mainly there to fill the sex appeal quota.

I do intend on going back to ROH for sure but I also want to get settled with WCW once and for all.

Topic of discussion for you guys: how do you balance story and characters you enjoy vs. playing based off stats. I'm used to performance based products like in puro so it's a bit easier to really just give the guys who perform well and have good stats the push, especially since 99% of the story there is told 'in-ring' so it's a very different game from playing for a entertainment based company, even if its performance = pop. I'm still so stuck in my puro ways that whenever I start a file I usually have a pretty strict sheet of who I'm pushing to the main event, who's good enough to be a mainstay, who needs to work to the main event and who needs to work to be a mainstay. Usually the criterias are relatively simple (70+ SQ for main event, and basic/psych at 70 with preferably mic/charisma at 70 or menace at 70 with the sole exception being an RVD or Mike Awesome type who have 80s in stuff like Hardcore/Brawling or Flashiness/Aerial to start and thus even with shitty psych still have great matches). But I'm not realizing I'm more or less containing myself in terms of storylines when I do such things.

Basically I feel more like I'm playing a game and less like I'd do a BTB where I'm a lot more prone to give underrated guys the spotlight and build for the story instead of the good grade or the perfect build to a good grade (as in building up Raven/Booker to 80/90 pop so I can have their inevitable Starrcade showdown).

I think I'd like to maybe step away from my very stat based gaming and maybe book WCW more without really taking into consideration the stats (to a degree) or the backend of things. On one hand, that means my shows will no doubt end up weaker, on the other hand, it might get me a bit more hooked with my WCW and could give guys who wouldn't ordinarily survive for me (like say Air Paris) a new lease on life.

But yeah, how do you balance booking for the good grade vs. the story you want to tell.

Status

I may mess around with Hogan a bit more. But the Retirement Age thing isn't an absolute anyway - I tried using that to retire guys like Austin and it just doesn't work if the guy is employed and still in even reasonable physical condition. I'm honestly not that fussed by it - besides the match with The Rock at WM, Hogan didn't do tons thru the 00s and I don't know how much being able to sign him would appeal to anyone using the mod mod, especially given his personality and steroid abuse.

Completely feel your pain on finding that balance between booking and playing. Honestly, that issue is why I almost incapable of simply picking up the game, picking any company, and simply playing. I default to power gaming very quickly, which will end up killing my interest in that save before long. So I tend to approach things in a similar manner as if I was doing a BTB project. It keeps things relatively "locked down".

My approach:

Plan: much like I do for any BTB, I have a lot of plans for any TEW game. I have a spreadsheet with a bunch of different sheets and I will plot in PPV cards (not necessarily full cards, but major matches) and other "big events". Things like debuts, re-debuts, turns, stable formations.... Things that would be big and memorable moments for the fans watching.

The Look & Feel: this is far more important using a fictional mod with all fictional characters. But even with something like this, I want to make sure I have a grasp on what a WCW show looks like. What is the stage set up? How and where are promos done? What type of angles does the company use by default? All the stuff we can take for granted with a real world company that we know. With WCW here, you could default to what WCW was before the end, but I like to think Shane would have to re-invent the company to some degree. Smaller arenas, less production quality, etc. If I was doing a BTB, these are all aspects I would want to get across to the reader. Here, it will simply help me envision what a show would actually feel like.

Find a Purpose: I've mentioned before that one aspect of Russo that is actually a good thing to adopt is that he found a purpose for everyone on the roster. I don't go quite that far necessarily, but I do want to consider what someone's value is and how I can use them. For some, that's big plans with long-term goals. For others, that might be simply be "function as a main roster trainer", "put on good matches", or "maintain". For various reasons, I may not have short-term plans for someone but as long as I'm not jobbing them into uselessness, or even totally killing their momentum, that's alright.

Have a Purpose: if you are thinking of booking these shows as if you would be presenting them to someone (whether a reader if it was a BTB or a viewer if it was TV), what is the purpose of a given match or angle? Why would you put that on there and what would the end goal of it be? For matches, its like the Match Aim in-game but in a bigger sense. I also use a particular naming format for angles and segments - its just a description of who and then what they are doing or saying. So "Booker T Promo: no one is taking this belt from me" or "Dustin Rhodes Vignette: family legacy". It makes me consider the actual purpose of an angle, because I find its angles where I will most likely start power-gaming and spamming successful angles. I move away from this approach for B shows because I don't care as much, and almost everything I do on a B show is trying to build up young workers in some way.

Fuck Grades: okay, this is far harder to actually apply than it it is to say. And its not a luxury you have in every game - if you are in a National Battle, show grades can be vital. But WCW start in a position where there is some leeway. You don't NEED strong show grades every show. Any show that doesn't lose you popularity is a success. If it adds to your popularity, great success. This approach won't expedite the climb back to national, but being National won't give you that many more advantages, and it will put you into a National Battle with the WWF that you can't win. So taking your time a bit on the climb back up is not a bad thing, especially if it allows you to build up more workers and young talent. Of course, its pretty exciting when you unexpectedly hit a B+ show and its really hard not to try to replicate that. Besides, I know that once I build up my talent a bit, the grades will come easily so its really just a matter of having a bit of patience.

TL/DR treat it a bit more like a BTB project and don't worry too much on the grades

No One

Status

I may mess around with Hogan a bit more. But the Retirement Age thing isn't an absolute anyway - I tried using that to retire guys like Austin and it just doesn't work if the guy is employed and still in even reasonable physical condition. I'm honestly not that fussed by it - besides the match with The Rock at WM, Hogan didn't do tons thru the 00s and I don't know how much being able to sign him would appeal to anyone using the mod mod, especially given his personality and steroid abuse.

Completely feel your pain on finding that balance between booking and playing. Honestly, that issue is why I almost incapable of simply picking up the game, picking any company, and simply playing. I default to power gaming very quickly, which will end up killing my interest in that save before long. So I tend to approach things in a similar manner as if I was doing a BTB project. It keeps things relatively "locked down".

My approach:

Plan: much like I do for any BTB, I have a lot of plans for any TEW game. I have a spreadsheet with a bunch of different sheets and I will plot in PPV cards (not necessarily full cards, but major matches) and other "big events". Things like debuts, re-debuts, turns, stable formations.... Things that would be big and memorable moments for the fans watching.

The Look & Feel: this is far more important using a fictional mod with all fictional characters. But even with something like this, I want to make sure I have a grasp on what a WCW show looks like. What is the stage set up? How and where are promos done? What type of angles does the company use by default? All the stuff we can take for granted with a real world company that we know. With WCW here, you could default to what WCW was before the end, but I like to think Shane would have to re-invent the company to some degree. Smaller arenas, less production quality, etc. If I was doing a BTB, these are all aspects I would want to get across to the reader. Here, it will simply help me envision what a show would actually feel like.

Find a Purpose: I've mentioned before that one aspect of Russo that is actually a good thing to adopt is that he found a purpose for everyone on the roster. I don't go quite that far necessarily, but I do want to consider what someone's value is and how I can use them. For some, that's big plans with long-term goals. For others, that might be simply be "function as a main roster trainer", "put on good matches", or "maintain". For various reasons, I may not have short-term plans for someone but as long as I'm not jobbing them into uselessness, or even totally killing their momentum, that's alright.

Have a Purpose: if you are thinking of booking these shows as if you would be presenting them to someone (whether a reader if it was a BTB or a viewer if it was TV), what is the purpose of a given match or angle? Why would you put that on there and what would the end goal of it be? For matches, its like the Match Aim in-game but in a bigger sense. I also use a particular naming format for angles and segments - its just a description of who and then what they are doing or saying. So "Booker T Promo: no one is taking this belt from me" or "Dustin Rhodes Vignette: family legacy". It makes me consider the actual purpose of an angle, because I find its angles where I will most likely start power-gaming and spamming successful angles. I move away from this approach for B shows because I don't care as much, and almost everything I do on a B show is trying to build up young workers in some way.

Fuck Grades: okay, this is far harder to actually apply than it it is to say. And its not a luxury you have in every game - if you are in a National Battle, show grades can be vital. But WCW start in a position where there is some leeway. You don't NEED strong show grades every show. Any show that doesn't lose you popularity is a success. If it adds to your popularity, great success. This approach won't expedite the climb back to national, but being National won't give you that many more advantages, and it will put you into a National Battle with the WWF that you can't win. So taking your time a bit on the climb back up is not a bad thing, especially if it allows you to build up more workers and young talent. Of course, its pretty exciting when you unexpectedly hit a B+ show and its really hard not to try to replicate that. Besides, I know that once I build up my talent a bit, the grades will come easily so its really just a matter of having a bit of patience.

TL/DR treat it a bit more like a BTB project and don't worry too much on the grades
    Gave me a lot to think about.

I can see me going one of two directions with WCW -

1. The simple one is just focusing on storylines and as with that last line, just saying fuck grades and telling hopefully interesting stories. Nothing much to this here though there'd be less focus on climbing to the top I imagine.

2. With Johnny Ace fresh off his time in AJPW coming into WCW booking control, and Shane McMahon being the guy who in a couple of years will try to get his hands on the likes of UFC/Pride/Strikeforce, I feel like WCW would in fact take a more realistic take so the performance = pop is accurate. That said, the roster doesn't necessarily reflect that and there are a lot of guys who might not look too good in this sort of setting, Raven, for one, probably won't truly excel in this sort of environment though I guess his loner gimmick might carry him through, I'd see WCW long term being built around less gimmicky characters and definitely less stables and more guys who are out there solely to be the very best. The characters here would still be more distinct than a UFC type and probably even more than AJPW/NJPW. Definitely one thing that would be taken from Ace's time in AJPW and Shane's enjoyment of UFC/Strikeforce/Pride would be clean finishes. Perhaps even adding in more rules like time limits and judged finishes but I think that might be taking things too far (in a BTB format it'd be cool to mention them trying such a thing out). The big advantage Shane would have in promoting WCW is that it's of course man-made victories/defeats so you don't risk anticlimactic reigns and such.

I'm not necessarily sure if I'd keep the TV build to PPV format, perhaps in a more desperate attempt to reflect the MMA format, each Nitro might feel bigger and be built around a particular main event and while the big event would be the main focus, it wouldn't take away from the importance of each individual Nitro. I'd definitely have to switch the match/promo ratio to 80 or 90%. This would however make a lot of traditional Japanese stuff a lot more feasible like G1s, and various cups as we'd probably have a lot more non-Nitro/Underground events happening in between. I also think a way it would make guys like Kanyon/Douglas/Finlay and even KroniK/Steiner&Animal who were sitting in the wings not doing much a bit more relevant with encounters becoming a more hyped up unique thing (as in it wouldn't be often you're facing the same guy). Like UFC though, I imagine big matches would be mostly built around what Shane/Johnny think would sell at a given time, and would be most sensible to promote.

As an example, for the return of WCW, I imagine DDP and Booker T being the biggest faces they have would be the first major match to promote. Another advantage WCW has vs. AJPW/UFC is not only more match variety instead of 1 v 1 but also more varied stipulations.

Aesthetically wise there'd definitely be a more sports oriented style, press conferences, tale of the tapes pre-matches, hell, I could see weigh-ins being added if I go back to my Lightweight/Heavyweight format (which I'd almost certainly do).

On one hand, booking matches would be a cross between 'would this be a fun match to promote' (mainly for headline matches) but also who should sensibly win. I'd make an effort to be much less statistical and robotic about match-ups and victors/winners.

Despite my earlier hesitation with Raven, I think him and Booker T would still be the big marquee match, Booker T the tough motherfucker who is willing to take on anyone, and Raven, the loner who somehow has a penchant for manipulating his every opponent.

Another heavy influence of Japanese puro might be the earning their dues part in which case the young guys I'd be signing like Hero/D-Bry (mostly naming guys who would probably go up to the main roster quick) might spend another couple of years building a rep in WCW before moving up, I think there'd be easy exceptions like a Samoa Joe or Brock Lesnar.

Title wise, I think we'd get a lot lengthier title reigns and a lot fewer multi-time world champions, a bit like ROH has mostly been, if Booker loses the belt, I'd be hard pressed to put it back on him so each champ might be about finding the right guy to take the belt from him.

Obviously put much more thought in the secondary interpretation I might start the new file when I wake up and see if any other idea crops up on it.

Status

So your suggestion got Hogan to not retire, Jon. I just have his Retirement Age at 58 and he seems to hang on longer. He signs with the WWF after he returns but he's pretty old already so he declines. Not gonna do another release for it - anyone who wants to adjust can just switch it up in their data.

Its almost impossible to care about grades completely not at all. And you don't want to end up booking D main events. I personally just keep reminding myself that any show that doesn't lose me popularity equals a win.

Going with a more "legit' style makes sense. One of the great things about WCW surviving is that you can legit make it anything going forward. But yeah, it would definitely take time to revamp the roster to really fit that.

Status

My Approach:

Long Term Planning

This is my most important factor for most of my games. I will have a plan in my head for the next 1-2 years of the main feuds for the promotion. Booker vs Raven, Curt Hennig vs RVD etc will all be planned in my head way in advance. Obviously changing plans slightly happens if someone isn't getting over, isn't performing or is either injured/suspended. This allows me to carefully pick who I want to build the whole promotion around which includes the World champion, figurehead, the US champion and the "face of the cruiserweight" division. Also allows me to pick who in developmental will be nurtured for big things and who will be nurtured for the midcard. A trick I normally do is I look at the schedule and I pick 4 shows as my "big 4" (For example my WCW save, my big 4 are Superbrawl, Great American Bash, New Blood Rising & Starrcade) and book the main events for all 4 shows and fill in the gaps for the other PPVs.

Divide & Conquer

One of the first things I do is I look through the roster and I use the division tab to divide the roster how I want them. What I mean by this is I will pick my cruiserweights, my tag team division members, my part-timers and my heavy hitters. This allows me to have a tunnel vision view of most of my storylines, the cruiserweight is its own thing, the tag division etc etc. This also plays into my long term planning as I can move people around and also helps me out when picking random matches. It also helps when looking into the few tournaments I run.

Only worry about the final grades

I normally only start to worry about grades when it is the PPV matches. Mostly the main events, especially the big shows. I try not to worry too much on matches, I sometimes worry on overall show ratings for Nitro to help build the company but it is the PPVs that I worry about the match grades for.

I'm enjoying this data and save so much that I am debating making a BTB about it lol

Status

Would love to read a BTB project on the game, DE.

The weekend was less productive than anticipated but I'm hoping to get a WCW game rolling sometime this week.

Status

Would love to read a BTB project on the game, DE.

The weekend was less productive than anticipated but I'm hoping to get a WCW game rolling sometime this week.
    Awesome to know you would read! Would be poetic that you would read my WCW BTB after I religiously read all of yours!

It would be a good wait too as I like to write at least to the first PPV when I start a new one and I would need to wait 60 days until I can start a new one (not feeling my new one, probably was too meticulous with it sapping my enthusiasm) such may even allow me enough time to write up to Starrcade if I get a move on!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thread Information