Country                    England

NJPW NJPW Wrestling Dontaku - 3rd May 2016

Cards announced so far:

Wrestling Hinokuni - April 29 - Kumamoto

IWGP Intercontinental Title: Kenny Omega vs Michael Elgin
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Bad Luck Fale
    NEVER Openweight Title: Katsuyori Shibata vs Yuji Nagata
    IWGP Jr Tag Titles: Roppongi Vice vs Matt Sydal & Ricochet
    Will Ospreay & Hirooki Goto & Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii vs Tetsuya Naito & BUSHI & EVIL & Sanada

Wrestling Dontaku - May 3 - Fukuoka

IWGP Heavyweight Title: Tetsuya Naito vs Tomohiro Ishii
    Kazuchika Okada vs Sanada
    Hirooki Goto vs EVIL
    IWGP Heavyweight Tag Titles: GOD vs GBH
    IWGP Jr Heavyweight Title: KUSHIDA vs Jushin Thunder Liger
    I'm actually liking the look of a lot of the matches on these two shows. I think that 8 man tag Chaos Vs LIDJ could be pretty special, it has the look of a road to... main event, but with it being a ppv show for NJPW I think there will be more effort to have a great match, and if everyone is involved, no interferences~! . Liger/Kushida and Shibata/Nagata should be good title matches as well. Omega Vs Elgin is the first all gaijin main event in a long time, since Lesnar Vs Giant Bernard I believe.

GOD Vs GBH the obvious weak point of the shows.

Re: NJPW Wrestling Dontaku - 3rd May 2016

Holy shit, Ishii's getting an IWGP Title shot.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Cards announced so far:

I'm actually liking the look of a lot of the matches on these two shows. I think that 8 man tag Chaos Vs LIDJ could be pretty special, it has the look of a road to... main event, but with it being a ppv show for NJPW I think there will be more effort to have a great match, and if everyone is involved, no interferences~! . Liger/Kushida and Shibata/Nagata should be good title matches as well. Omega Vs Elgin is the first all gaijin main event in a long time, since Lesnar Vs Giant Bernard I believe.

GOD Vs GBH the obvious weak point of the shows.
    That logo is sexy.

Also liking the look of these matches. Agreed on 8-man potential. Looking forward to Shibata/Nagata slightly more than Liger/Kushida but I'm not huge on Kushida. I recognize there's talent there, he's just not that interesting to me. He and Taguchi should become a tag team so I can skip one match instead of two.

Omega/Elgin sounds awesome. If there's interference from Bullet Club or The Elite, will Tanahashi come to Elgin's aid? Or will Elgin just swat them away like flies. Love both Omega and Elgin and very interested to see what kind of match they'll have. What a year of transformation for Elgin and Naito.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Holy shit, Ishii's getting an IWGP Title shot.
    I just wish he wasn't the ROH TV Champion going into the match. Not that I think he would beat Naito, but if he were, Ishii dropping the ROH TV Title would have to be the result of some shenanigans so as to keep the IWGP Champ looking strong. I'd rather someone beat Ishii clean and get a nice rub.
    [save]

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    I just wish he wasn't the ROH TV Champion going into the match. Not that I think he would beat Naito, but if he were, Ishii dropping the ROH TV Title would have to be the result of some shenanigans so as to keep the IWGP Champ looking strong. I'd rather someone beat Ishii clean and get a nice rub.
    But as you said, Ishii's not going to win. So I'd argue it doesn't matter if he's ROH TV Champion or not. Besides, you could always just do a triple threat with the third man being pinned without Ishii being involved in the finish. No shenanigans, just a triple threat.

Still Kicking It

Status
      Country                    United States

I like how they are shaking up the cards instead of giving us matches we have seen before and giving us the same contender fighting for the same championship over and over. Tanahashi is fighting Fale again but the card is so strong that I don't mind. In fact, keep him out of the title picture for now and let other guys get their shine.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    That logo is sexy.
    Not only is it sexy, they've kept up their run of the Dontaku posters being my favourite of the year:

SIX F'N STARS

Status

But as you said, Ishii's not going to win.
    Yeah that's the issue though, great match no doubt but the implications bug me.

So I'd argue it doesn't matter if he's ROH TV Champion or not. Besides, you could always just do a triple threat with the third man being pinned without Ishii being involved in the finish. No shenanigans, just a triple threat.
    Still don't think NJPW would want their top champion losing ROH's secondary championship regardless but very true, I forgot we're dealing with ROH not NJPW so yeah, triple threat is totally viable. Also not sure if I wish there were more triples in NJPW or if that's a 'careful what you wish for' scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    That is awesome. Has Tama Tonga rocked gold paint before? Would look pretty cool with the tag belts.
    [save]

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Wrestling Hinokuni has been cancelled because of the recent earthquake in Japan. Therefore Shibata/Nagata and RPG Vice Vs Ricochet and Sydal have been moved to Dontaku, and Elgin/Omega and Tanahashi/Fale have been moved to the 27/4 show, which oddly doesn't show up on the schedule for NJ World. Bit of a blow for Elgin and Omega to go from being the first all gaijin main event in this decade, to not having their match air. They'll probably work something out, or it'll end up uploaded somewhere else.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

They might upload it at a later date? Didn't they do that with Shibata vs Kojima?

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    They might upload it at a later date? Didn't they do that with Shibata vs Kojima?
    Yeah eventually it went up.

Status

I don't understand why they couldn't just move Elgin/Omega to Dontaku though?

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    I don't understand why they couldn't just move Elgin/Omega to Dontaku though?
    It's not really their model to stack the B-PPV's in that way. Wrestle Kingdom, Invasion Attack, Dominion and King of Pro Wrestling are their four big shows in the year that are likely to be the shows where every title is on the line. By putting Elgin Vs Omega on a road to house show main event, they'll learn more about how good a draw they are.

Status

Forgot to reply but yeah that's fair enough and makes sense. It was a decent match IMO and I think both Big Mike and Omega are over enough to some degree. Plus I guess Omega was needed for the six man tag match.

Here's the full card:

IWGP Heavyweight Championship
    Tetsuya Naito (c) vs. Tomohiro Ishii

Kazuchika Okada vs. SANADA

Hirooki Goto vs. EVIL

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship
    KUSHIDA (c) vs. Jushin ‘Thunder’ Liger

NEVER Openweight Championship
    Katsuyori Shibata (c) vs. Yuji Nagata

IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship
    Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa (c) vs. Tomoaki Honma & Togi Makabe

NEVER Openweight Six Man Tag Championship
    Yoshitatsu, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Michael Elgin (c) vs. The Young Bucks & Kenny Omega

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championship
    Roppongi Vice (c) vs. Matt Sydal & Ricochet

David Finlay, Jay White, Ryusuke Taguchi & Tiger Mask IV vs. Gedo, Will Ospreay, YOSHI-HASHI & Kazushi Sakuraba

Juice Robinson & Captain New Japan vs. Yujiro Takahashi & Bad Luck Fale

Not a bad card although I can't figure out why they have that weird 8 man tag as the second match. I'd have much rather seen Ospreay vs BUSHI in a one on one match.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Admin in Lockdown

Status

I thought Elgin/Omega was fine once they stopped doing attitude era hardcore championship spots.

It's a stacked card and I'm really looking forward to the show. My only worry is with so many matches, time constraints will be tight and maybe some matches won't get the required time to be as good as they can be. Think the show starts 8am our time tomorrow.

Predictions:
    Naito retains
    Okada wins
    EVIL wins
    Kushida retains
    Shibata retains
    GoD retain
    Hashi, Yoshi and Big Mike retain
    RPG Vice retain
    Will Osplay scores the pin
    Fale scores the pin

Status

I will probably watch it over the weekend or something as i'm super busy right now but looking forward to it.

I was super impressed by Omega's showing of strength to give Elgin the OWA... and I wonder where Omega goes from here in terms of the IC title picture. I think any sort of rematch with Tanahashi spells doom for him, don't envision Tana losing clean 3 times in half a year in big title matches. Don't really buy into a Tatsu-Omega matchup either. I guess it all depends who eats the pin in the six man tag but if Elgin, Tana or Tatsu are the next challengers then the best way to set it up is have Omega eat the pin from one of them.

Solid predictions. Naito winning is a given, I doubt he's losing the belt 'til WK11 against Okada (inevitable G1 winner surely). Will Okada beat SANADA? I'd imagine some shenanigans are afoot that could cause Okada to lose but I don't know what will happen. Thought they'd give SANADA a win on his first singles match on a big show. EVIL winning is going to destroy Goto. Can't see Shibata or KUSHIDA losing - i think KUSHIDA wins but i'm not sure Shibata does. Then again not sure what Yuji can do with the belt... if Shibata retains then i'd like something with EVIL or SANADA I guess. Maybe Elgin too. GoD winning is a given, I think. Same with Tana, Elgin, Tatsu along with RPG Vice. Guess Finlay or White will be eating the pin whilst Juice and Captain Fookin' New Japan gets squashed.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Pretty good show by New Japan which took me an age to get through because I didn't want to skip anything this time.

IWGP Heavyweight Championship
    Tetsuya Naito (c) vs. Tomohiro Ishii
    I can't think of a singular performance in NJPW this year which was as good as Tomohiro Ishii's which is fantastic to say because this guy has been well under par for the longest time in his performances. I think we were all expecting a by the numbers first title defence for Naito, but Ishii stepped up big time and as the match went on he made me and the fans in the arena think he was in with a good chance of taking the belt home. Those submissions, Naito's selling of being locked in hold, and Chaos holding back EVIL and Bushi were excellent. I still have a few gripes about interference, twice in the match EVIL hit Ishii in the head with a chair, Gedo and Okada were ringside and didn't do anything to prevent this or beat up EVIL after it happened. Naito attacks a ref to escape the hold (2nd time it happened on the show - no consequences), and then the big interference to break things up but it's much easier to stomach this when it's the only big interference that happens and then everyone brawls to the back to leave the two competitors to fight it out. This was much much better than the Invasion Attack main event. A few tweaks here or there and this would have been top end stuff for New Japan in 2016.

Kazuchika Okada vs. SANADA
    Slightly disappointed because I thought this was going to be great and play off the unpredictability factor of who would win, but they never really got there. SANADA getting kicked out of his top moves, then falling to 1 rainmaker, sound familiar? wonder if we'll hear the same complaints

Hirooki Goto vs. EVIL
    Was an ok brawl, I just had the feeling doing the predictions that SANADA wasn't going to knock off the ace in his first match so EVIL would win here for Los IDJ.

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship
    KUSHIDA (c) vs. Jushin ‘Thunder’ Liger
    Another good match for Kushida, he's finally getting a good run with this belt and a chance to build something special. Thought it was cute as hell that Kushida used to do the liger bomb on a pillow as a kid. The match was contested with the right amount of respect and you can always rely on Liger to show up in a singles match that's on the periphery of being great.

NEVER Openweight Championship
    Katsuyori Shibata (c) vs. Yuji Nagata
    Loved this, great match and the title change and marking out commentary put it over for me to the next level. Grumpy Nagata was in a foul mood or match and dead set on teaching Shibata a lesson. I touched on it in an earlier post but I thought there might be some matches that get short changed on time, and I feel like this was one victim because they went to the finish a bit quick. It didn't hurt the match for me because I thought they used every second of the match to it's fullest. I'm going to get my hopes up over Shibata again for the G1, but the NEVER title is too low a spot for a guy this good in the peak of his career.

IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship
    Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa (c) vs. Tomoaki Honma & Togi Makabe
    I didn't think it sucked as much as last time, but it still wasn't good.

NEVER Openweight Six Man Tag Championship
    Yoshitatsu, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Michael Elgin (c) vs. The Young Bucks & Kenny Omega
    I thought this was absolute garbage. At this point it isn't just hating on BC because I thought Yoshi Tatsu was just as silly in this match with his Bullet Club Hunter, Triple H cosplay gimmick. My hatred is aimed more at Gedo who's decided to turn both these 6 man titles and the IC title into bad hardcore matches which I don't think is really helping anyone here because they can all have a better match without the stipulation. It's yet another case of going to the tired sports entertainment playbook rather than run with what got all the American/English fans watching your product - fucking great wrestling matches. Not to mention how retarded it was that the ref got spray canned in the face and then purposely low-blowed by Omega and they didn't get a DQ. I don't want to hear about how 'well it's fine because no-one ever gets DQ'd in New Japan', I remember DQ's happening in this company a couple of years ago so there is a rule there that's being ignored which insults everyone's intelligence. This was LOLTNA booking. The promo to set up the ladder match was pure cringe by Omega. Because they very rarely happen in New Japan, I am slightly interested in the spectacle of a ladder match, but again I don't think it does Omega many favours because he could have a better match without the stipulation and I don't really want to see Tanahashi take those kind of bumps on his back.

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championship
    Roppongi Vice (c) vs. Matt Sydal & Ricochet
    Stunned at the title change, which I suppose is the bigger talking point rather than the match itself because it means Ricochet's staying point for beyond the BOSJ. I preferred Invasion Attack but this was pretty good.

David Finlay, Jay White, Ryusuke Taguchi & Tiger Mask IV vs. Gedo, Will Ospreay, YOSHI-HASHI & Kazushi Sakurabra
    Yeah I thought Ospreay was the obvious winner here, decent 8 man.

Juice Robinson & Captain New Japan vs. Yujiro Takahashi & Bad Luck Fale
    It was a match designed to protect Fale. Utterly forgettable as per

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China
    I really think that was an excellent post and I agree with your points, Ed. Ishii really made this work despite all its obvious flaws based around Naito/LIJ. I really really really want Ishii & Goto to win the tag titles.

Also think it's telling what a difference this was to last month and Okada with another disappointing match here with Sanada, and Sanada looked great in BJW before this. Still good, just not the hot start for Sanada I wanted and I think they really need to try to heat Okada up a little. This was supposed to be his year but he hasn't come across like the ace at all this year.

I feel bad, not only have they buried Goto, filled his grave up with cement in case he had any breaths left and are currently building a gay bar on top of him, but also...EVIL sucks. I don't know what people see in this guy but this was totally mediocre.

Now in some ways I'd like to see the Gorillas gel some, but the tag titles aren't where they should be. It's time to take the titles off. This wasn't good at all.

Liger/KUSHIDA was very good! Liger's always enjoyable and KUSHIDA is a great wrestler. Out of all the guys on the roster in 2016 I think he and Shibata have been the bright spots.

Speaking of Shibata...JUSTICEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy Nagata gets a big win. The feel good moment of the night and his title run should be highly enjoyable. I'm not really sure what this means for Shibata though. A loss to Nagata's never a good sign usually, but there's a chance he could be moving up...to what though? Unless he's rematching Nagata and getting a quick re-win he might be joining Goto & Ishii as one of the odd men out...again. I don't think so though.

Omega's so bad. SO bad. And although a ladder match is at least interesting, how much could they really do with Tanahashi in the shape he's in? I have every expectation for that match to be another Omega embarrassment and the IC Title's never meant less. I really hope a title change is coming.

Status

Feel like it was silly to book SANADA in a straight up match with Okada like that - SANADA should be looking somewhat strong in his starting run and they've already had him get tanked by Okada and look a complete tier below imo which is not good for him. I would have had SANADA winning through some sort of cheating method so that Okada could fall further from grace before he starts his inevitable ascent back to the top.

I don't have a big problem with Omega - I like the ladder match idea. High Fly Flow from the top of a ladder is a must. Can't see Tanahashi losing in all honesty. Would have him losing if he was still six man tag champ.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I feel bad, not only have they buried Goto, filled his grave up with cement in case he had any breaths left and are currently building a gay bar on top of him but also...EVIL sucks

That's my favourite sentence on this forum in quite some time.

Speaking of Shibata...JUSTICEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy Nagata gets a big win. The feel good moment of the night and his title run should be highly enjoyable. I'm not really sure what this means for Shibata though. A loss to Nagata's never a good sign usually, but there's a chance he could be moving up...to what though? Unless he's rematching Nagata and getting a quick re-win he might be joining Goto & Ishii as one of the odd men out...again. I don't think so though.
    Oh Shibata could easily just fall through the cracks now and be the odd man out. I'm pretty certain I saw that he's challenging Nagata again at Dominion and I don't think there's much point in a quick switch, I think there's a reason Nagata was supposed to win this title. I think maybe Nagata is going to take the title onto the Lions Gate shows and use the NEVER belt for what it was originally intended to do.

Still Kicking It

Status
      Country                    United States

Match of the night was Shibata vs. Nagata. At least they are giving these guys a strong storyline where the third generation says its their year and Shibata who is finally a dominant champion takes them all on. Tenzan, Kojima, and Nagata are finally given something do to besides random 8 man tags.

And speaking of a curtain jerker getting the spotlight again Jushin Liger and KUSHIDA had a great junior heavyweight match and gives KUSHIDA a nice rub.

When I heard Tanahashi speak English I was "Holy Shit" and Kenny said he would only challenge him to a ladder match. Should be some great high flying if they are going to do a rematch, at least they are trying something different and tap into that Western market. Great segment by both guys.

Tama Tonga was one of those guys that just stayed in the background in BC and now he gets more time to show off his athleticism and time will tell if G.O.D will stand out from the pack.

It's nice to see a fresh main event from Tanahashi/Okada though it went a little long. At least they were showing discipline with Naito in not having the crazy overbooked finishes. Iishi dominated most of the match, but Naito ended up going over clean (Okada sent his friends to the back) and shows he can go over on his own.

Thread Information