Country                    England

NJPW NJPW Wrestling Dontaku - 3rd May 2016

Cards announced so far:

Wrestling Hinokuni - April 29 - Kumamoto

IWGP Intercontinental Title: Kenny Omega vs Michael Elgin
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Bad Luck Fale
    NEVER Openweight Title: Katsuyori Shibata vs Yuji Nagata
    IWGP Jr Tag Titles: Roppongi Vice vs Matt Sydal & Ricochet
    Will Ospreay & Hirooki Goto & Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii vs Tetsuya Naito & BUSHI & EVIL & Sanada

Wrestling Dontaku - May 3 - Fukuoka

IWGP Heavyweight Title: Tetsuya Naito vs Tomohiro Ishii
    Kazuchika Okada vs Sanada
    Hirooki Goto vs EVIL
    IWGP Heavyweight Tag Titles: GOD vs GBH
    IWGP Jr Heavyweight Title: KUSHIDA vs Jushin Thunder Liger
    I'm actually liking the look of a lot of the matches on these two shows. I think that 8 man tag Chaos Vs LIDJ could be pretty special, it has the look of a road to... main event, but with it being a ppv show for NJPW I think there will be more effort to have a great match, and if everyone is involved, no interferences~! . Liger/Kushida and Shibata/Nagata should be good title matches as well. Omega Vs Elgin is the first all gaijin main event in a long time, since Lesnar Vs Giant Bernard I believe.

GOD Vs GBH the obvious weak point of the shows.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

Re: NJPW Wrestling Dontaku - 3rd May 2016

Holy shit, Ishii's getting an IWGP Title shot.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Cards announced so far:

I'm actually liking the look of a lot of the matches on these two shows. I think that 8 man tag Chaos Vs LIDJ could be pretty special, it has the look of a road to... main event, but with it being a ppv show for NJPW I think there will be more effort to have a great match, and if everyone is involved, no interferences~! . Liger/Kushida and Shibata/Nagata should be good title matches as well. Omega Vs Elgin is the first all gaijin main event in a long time, since Lesnar Vs Giant Bernard I believe.

GOD Vs GBH the obvious weak point of the shows.
    That logo is sexy.

Also liking the look of these matches. Agreed on 8-man potential. Looking forward to Shibata/Nagata slightly more than Liger/Kushida but I'm not huge on Kushida. I recognize there's talent there, he's just not that interesting to me. He and Taguchi should become a tag team so I can skip one match instead of two.

Omega/Elgin sounds awesome. If there's interference from Bullet Club or The Elite, will Tanahashi come to Elgin's aid? Or will Elgin just swat them away like flies. Love both Omega and Elgin and very interested to see what kind of match they'll have. What a year of transformation for Elgin and Naito.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Holy shit, Ishii's getting an IWGP Title shot.
    I just wish he wasn't the ROH TV Champion going into the match. Not that I think he would beat Naito, but if he were, Ishii dropping the ROH TV Title would have to be the result of some shenanigans so as to keep the IWGP Champ looking strong. I'd rather someone beat Ishii clean and get a nice rub.
    [save]

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    I just wish he wasn't the ROH TV Champion going into the match. Not that I think he would beat Naito, but if he were, Ishii dropping the ROH TV Title would have to be the result of some shenanigans so as to keep the IWGP Champ looking strong. I'd rather someone beat Ishii clean and get a nice rub.
    But as you said, Ishii's not going to win. So I'd argue it doesn't matter if he's ROH TV Champion or not. Besides, you could always just do a triple threat with the third man being pinned without Ishii being involved in the finish. No shenanigans, just a triple threat.

Still Kicking It

Status
      Country                    United States

I like how they are shaking up the cards instead of giving us matches we have seen before and giving us the same contender fighting for the same championship over and over. Tanahashi is fighting Fale again but the card is so strong that I don't mind. In fact, keep him out of the title picture for now and let other guys get their shine.

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    That logo is sexy.
    Not only is it sexy, they've kept up their run of the Dontaku posters being my favourite of the year:

​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads

SIX F'N STARS

Status

But as you said, Ishii's not going to win.
    Yeah that's the issue though, great match no doubt but the implications bug me.

So I'd argue it doesn't matter if he's ROH TV Champion or not. Besides, you could always just do a triple threat with the third man being pinned without Ishii being involved in the finish. No shenanigans, just a triple threat.
    Still don't think NJPW would want their top champion losing ROH's secondary championship regardless but very true, I forgot we're dealing with ROH not NJPW so yeah, triple threat is totally viable. Also not sure if I wish there were more triples in NJPW or if that's a 'careful what you wish for' scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    That is awesome. Has Tama Tonga rocked gold paint before? Would look pretty cool with the tag belts.
    [save]

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

Wrestling Hinokuni has been cancelled because of the recent earthquake in Japan. Therefore Shibata/Nagata and RPG Vice Vs Ricochet and Sydal have been moved to Dontaku, and Elgin/Omega and Tanahashi/Fale have been moved to the 27/4 show, which oddly doesn't show up on the schedule for NJ World. Bit of a blow for Elgin and Omega to go from being the first all gaijin main event in this decade, to not having their match air. They'll probably work something out, or it'll end up uploaded somewhere else.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

They might upload it at a later date? Didn't they do that with Shibata vs Kojima?

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    They might upload it at a later date? Didn't they do that with Shibata vs Kojima?
    Yeah eventually it went up.