Thread: NJPW Invasion Attack - April 10th 2016

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

NJPW NJPW Invasion Attack - April 10th 2016

New Japan Pro Wrestling “INVASION ATTACK 2016”, 4/10/2016 [Sun] 16:00 @ Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo

Bad Luck Fale and Yujiro Takahashi Vs Juice Robinson and Taguchi

Sakuraba, Yano and Yoshi-Hashi Vs Liger, Nagata and Kojima

Hirooki Goto and Tomohiro Ishii Vs EVIL and Bushi

IWGP Junior Tag Championship Match:
    Ricochet & Matt Sydal vs. Rocky Romero & Barreta

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship
    KUSHIDA (c) vs. Will Ospreay

NEVER Openweight 6 Man Tag Team Championships
    The Elite (c) Vs Hiroshi Tanahashi, Michael Elgin and Yoshi Tatsu

NEVER Openweight Championship
    Katsuyori Shibata (c) Vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan

IWGP Tag Championship
    Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma (c) vs. “GUERRILLAS OF DESTINY” Tama Tonga & Tanga Roa

IWGP Heavyweight Championship
    Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Tetsuya Naito
    If you were looking forward to Shibata/Kojima (which actually would of been my 2nd most anticipated match for Invasion Attack), it's been moved to a road to... show which oddly isn't even listed as airing on New Japan World.

I'm a big Will Ospreay fan so I'll obviously check out his match here. I think they've shot their load going for a title match too early, I'd have held off the debut until BOSJ and have him win that and challenge Kushida later in the year. Now they've either got to have him lose on his debut, or Kushida gets a third short title rein. Neither are ideal in my mind.

I think Zero and I touched on our feelings on the main event. I think if I went back to those early dates in the 2015 G1 I would of been all in on a big Okada Vs Los Ingobernables Naito match, but they've poisoned that gimmick to the point where it's Bullet Club 2.0 and we know Bushi and EVIL will get involved, Goto too probably. I'm just not looking forward to this one as much as I should be.

Actually I'll be kind, RPG Vice Vs Ricochet and Sydal is probably the most watchable NJPW Jr's tag match I'd watch.
    Last edited by Ed; 03-28-2016 at 11:51 AM.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Re: NJPW Invasion Attack - April 10th 2016

Yeah, Ospreay/KUSHIDA should be an awesome match and the Jr. Tag should be pretty fun, Sydal/Ricochet are a really fun tag team. The idea of the main event being all about "Who's side is this guy who isn't in the match going to take" is such a dumb trope here, letalone in Japan. I don't understand what people see in Naito either, Ed. I'm sure people will turn on that like Bullet Club sooner or later but I fear these "shoot" promos he's been doing will increase his popularity.

Shibata also a victim of bad booking, why wasn't that Kojima match on here? That was crazy. I hope YOSHI-HASHI gets on the card, but like I said, I still don't think I'll be jumping back in to World just to see Ospreay, will catch up on that match later but even then that's gonna be bittersweet because KUSHIDA gets another terrible title reign. He's mini-Goto at this point.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I think BUSHI and EVIL's involvement will probably be inconsequential, a set up to Goto helping Okada perhaps? I don't know. But I think Goto will turn on Okada and join Los Inogbernables. Could be wrong though, obviously.

I can see Ospreay winning but honestly, that's bad booking for sure. I think KUSHIDA should either win, BOSJ is Ospreay and then he beats the Kush man. Either that or KUSHIDA loses, wins BOSJ and gets his belt back... which would be crap, obviously.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Card Updated.

Well I guess we now why Shibata/Kojima isn't on this show, because they want to run Shibata/Tenzan, not sure why that match couldn't wait until Dontaku and we could of had Shibata/Kojima here (which was GREAT btw, posted it in the VIP section)

Yoshi Tatsu's return from injury is the other big news on the card. No more insightful commentating then

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

We'll miss you, Yoshi, the greatest commentator of our generation.

Goto's promos have been pretty interesting, saying it didn't really matter about CHAOS and he just joined to do something different, though saying you didn't do it to become Okada's sidekick rings hollow when you go out and basically do just that. Regardless I saw a GIF of him and I really like his red shorts and I think his new finish is an awesome move, though this storyline is still the pits and I really can't get behind any part of that main event.

Will watch Shibata/Kojima since you posted it, definitely seems like a fun match and on a positive note Shibata vs the veterans is a fun way to keep Shibata busy without actually pushing him in anything relevant. Maybe Nagata can get a big match now.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Will watch Shibata/Kojima since you posted it, definitely seems like a fun match and on a positive note Shibata vs the veterans is a fun way to keep Shibata busy without actually pushing him in anything relevant. Maybe Nagata can get a big match now.
    I can see Shibata Vs Nagata at Dontaku, he seems to be going through the old lads at the moment which is a refreshing change of pace to the Ishii wars.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    We'll miss you, Yoshi, the greatest commentator of our generation.

Goto's promos have been pretty interesting, saying it didn't really matter about CHAOS and he just joined to do something different, though saying you didn't do it to become Okada's sidekick rings hollow when you go out and basically do just that. Regardless I saw a GIF of him and I really like his red shorts and I think his new finish is an awesome move, though this storyline is still the pits and I really can't get behind any part of that main event.

yes

(joking aside, Goto in CHAOS is something im really meh on tbh. Jon suggested he was a Nak sub but im sensing shenanigans for him to get one over on Okada, thus when Okada loses, he has a feud to go to whilst Naito defends against someone that can give his reign some legitimacy. I'd say big match Tanahashi but hes on a real losing streak lately and idk if people would want to see Tanahashi in the picture so soon. I feel like Elgin is destined to face Omega and will probably get the pinfall on him to win him, the yes man and the Ace the belts. Shibata changing from killing himself against Ishii and instead not-killing himself against the older guys seems like a fair deal to me thus far. Guess it gives him some title defences. Only issue is that I dont think Shibata is going to lose at all, taking away any tension in those matches)
    Last edited by RainShaker; 03-28-2016 at 05:21 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Sorry for the double post, the site wasn't loading for a second and... TRANQUILO!
    Last edited by The Natural; 03-30-2016 at 12:54 PM.
    [save]

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Watched a few matches from the Road To shows they have uploaded (after I figured out that the first thumbnail was the entire show), dug it for the most part. Tama Tonga is a really weird promo but I like that he isn't letting his momentum falter with the main BC guys leaving. "We are G.O.D." sounds neat and makes for a cool t-shirt. Something about Camacho's facepaint reminds me of Sokka from Avatar The Last Airbender. I figured there would be face paint involved but assumed it would be even more aggressive than Tama's.

I enjoyed Rocky Romero's work in the 4-man opener, he finds a way to get his routine in without being too old. Particularly the repeating shtick; both the mic work and his attempt to start the Infinite Clotheslines. Is that what they're called? Because it should be.

EVIL looks dumb as hell but I do enjoy his wrestling. I can't tell if his gimmick is supposed to be in "so bad it's good" territory or if he's really just a low-rent attempt at an Undertaker-type. Not sure what was wrong with the gear he was sporting in ROH... I would maybe change up the colors a bit for a more serious New Japan return but otherwise he looked decent.

Enjoyed Okada/Goto/YOSHI-HASHI vs Los Ingobernables de Japon quite a bit. Sad that Red Shoes got attacked after considering he was maybe the most productive member of Naito's team for that match. BUSHI green mist on Okada was among the best I've ever seen, it looked like he got legit fucked up by mist. Happened very fast but the aftermath was convincing. Also, two Destinos - is it my birthday? Naito is fire right now and I can't believe what a 180 I've made on him since his G1 win. At the time, I remember feeling that his wrestling was solid but his character and presence just felt too timid, like a forever midcarder reaching for brass rings. This Naito doesn't give a shit and is way more appealing as a result. I am reminded of qualities that I enjoyed from WCW Raven.

Loving Naito's gimmick, Los Ingobernables, and am very much looking forward to Okada/Naito, regardless of inevitable shenanigans. Always interesting to stop by and see all the hate toward interferences. Probably doesn't hurt that the people doing interference stuff are people I already like and would like to see more of, but I get more upset about double downs that feel inorganic than I do about people getting involved who shouldn't be.
    Last edited by The Natural; 03-30-2016 at 12:54 PM.
    [save]

Admin in Lockdown

Status

I can't deny that Naito is more interesting than he used to be a couple of years ago, but at the same time I'm just seeing the same patterns develop in his matches that annoyed me in Bullet Club's matches and they come of to me like Bullet Club 2.0. It's just overkill to have both stables going at the same time. If the point of Naito's push is to make him one of the main eventers, one of the top draws of the company, then I think he needs to do more than just cheat his way to victories over Okada and Goto.

Attendances so far this year are considerably down, it'll be interesting to see how Naito draws in the main event of Invasion Attack because I have the feeling they won't touch last years number and that'll be a bigger marker on how over this Naito gimmick is with the native fans.

Still Kicking It

Status
      Country                    United States

After you lose 5 of your key guys, it will be interesting how they rearrange the roster. I can't think of anybody else they can put in that main event besides Naito. Omega is locked in as the IC Champ. Goto they haven't invested in enough to be a serious threat. Elgin could fight for the IC or NEVER titles once they build him up as anything other than a special attraction. Tanahashi as a main eventer has played itself out until they find the right opponent/storyline.

Naito has found himself as a character even though there isn't much to that stable. Bushi's a good high flier, EVIL is there for muscle but it's not like Fale or Roman Reigns where they are good, solid powerhouses. In fact, there isn't all that much to his offense. The stable is missing a key element, perhaps that young gun that they have serious plans for.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Well I don't know what to say about that. First of all, I was hilariously off the mark about my concerns that Naito's gimmick wasn't that over with the native fans. They sold out Sumo Hall and were so into Los Ingobernables the crowd popped big for the title change and were booing Goto in the tag match.

I was surprisingly into Chaos vs Los Ingobernables and came away enjoying EVIL, amazing how that happens with a straight match, no funny business. Ishii getting the pin, not Goto should of been a sign at how the night would end.

Ricochet/Sydal Vs RPG Vice was great, I don't think I've ever enjoyed a Jr Tag title match this much. Strip this title back to 2 on 2 matches and get The Bucks out of the way and what do ya' know you get a great match. Fast paced, smooth action, frantic nearfalls, I loved this. The only downside of this match is Ricochet looks like he's got one foot out the door so that's the end of this tag team and we'll get RPG Vice Vs Bucks until the end of time. Sydal's gonna get a strong push in the BOSJ I reckon after kicking out of Trent's finisher.

Kushida/Ospreay - I don't know how to talk about this match without my bias for Ospreay coming out, but he put a lot of wrestlers with decades more of experience to shame with his performance here. When I moan about limb damage selling and being in agony one moment and then ignoring it to hit your signature moves, what I'm striving for is what Ospreay displayed here. Kushida worked over his arm and Will screamed in agony over it, so when it came time to hit his handstand off the ropes, he collapsed on his head because his arm was too damaged to support his body weight. Later when he went for the move he altered his shape and pulled off the handstand WITHOUT USING HIS FUCKING HANDS - Tremendous stuff. How ironic to get this type of sell job against an opponent who I've slated in the past for blowing off leg work against Kushida. Will managed to pull off some of his dives and kicks, but the arm was an issue and it was all over when Kushida wouldn't let that hoverboard armlock off. Loved the booking here because I felt Will had to win, which would cut the Kushida run short, but they managed to keep the belt on McFly and make Ospreay as a star. Liger challenged Kushida after the match, should be good at worst.

At this point I was being won back around by New Japan. I had never seen a show in the last 4 years get the thumbs up from me for BOTH Jr title matches.

Then Elite came out I can't hate on all of this match, it is redeemed a lot by Yoshi Tatsu returning from injury and him and Elgin winning the belts which was a feel good moment for two determined wrestlers with a dream. To throw some more positives out there, I'm all in on these wacky NEVER 6 man belts, if you're gonna do short reigns, go all the way in and change it every title defence, I kinda love how these matches are so chaotic it's becoming impossible to retain the title. Now the bad; Kenny Omega, by far, was the worst guy in this match. The Bucks were the Bucks and they actually really suit this wild 6 man environment and bump like crazy, but Omega comes out believing in his own hype telling the crowd that everyone wasted their money on Wrestlemania and the wrestlers should watch him to learn a thing or two. Learn what? you did fuck all in the garbage DDT style 6 man except tease the Styles Clash about 4 times. I enjoyed Nick channeling Jeff Hardy with his Royal Rumble 2000 swanton off the balcony, but unfortunately it sent Cody Hall to the hospital. Big Mike challenged Omega after the match.

Shibata/Tenzan suffered from two things. 1) Those that had seen the Shibata/Kojima match knew they wouldn't see better here and it should of got the Invasion Attack spot and 2) The video package and angle hinted strongly that Nagata would get his match with Shibata, so there wouldn't be a title change here. This was a fine match, but nothing to write home about and I wouldn't recommend it. Shibata kicking Nagata after the bow was 5 stars though.

GBH Vs GOD. Painfully average, and Tama Tonga and Tango Orange (w/e the name is) is not the answer to adding excitement to this division. Some dark days are upon us if GOD have these titles all year long, we'll be begging for Anderson and Gallows to come back. To put it simply, how bad do you have to be if you can't get heat in a FIP segment with Honma who is the ultimate babyface? To top it off, they look ridiculous in the double face paint. No good.

Okada Vs Naito - Have a guess what I didn't like about this match? It's just so frustrating that they go overboard with the interference because the Sanada interference and reveal is a huge moment, but it would of been so much more effective if it wasn't the 10th case of outside cheating in the match. It just makes the whole competitive aspect of the title and the promotion look bush league when that much interference goes on, and the referee doesn't do anything to stop it - why on earth are EVIL and BUSHI allowed to stay at ringside given their behaviour all year in Naito's matches. Should of sent them to the back after the first case of cheating, let Naito and Okada put on a great match for 20 minutes, and then when Okada looks like he's got it in the bag, Sanada arrives as Naito's insurance to make sure he wins. Why couldn't they have given Naito the clean win in cup if he was due the title, just makes him look like he can't win a thing on his own. Also, if Naito is allowed to have his stooges out with him, why does no-one other than Gedo have Okada's back, he's the leader of CHAOS. On the positive side of things, they've pulled the trigger on Naito when there's been many cases of promotions ignoring the chance to strap the rocket on the hot kid with momentum. Lets see where this goes, but looks like Mr. Okada is getting another G1 trophy to his name.

So New Japan won me around with the Jr's, but then lost me again with the final two matches. What I would have to agree with is there's a lot of new directions and feuds set up last night. Liger/Kushida, Elgin/Omega, Okada/Sanada, Ishii/Naito, Tanahashi/Fale (not really fresh), also Sanada coming into New Japan is a big deal and a change of recruitment policy by NJPW. Can't wait for BOSJ though.

Also the G1 has been confirmed to start July 18th and they're going with last year's 19 day formula which has it's pros and cons. I'm personally glad to see them stick with it because I don't really care about getting more filler on shows and the end of the 'show of the year' contenders, you still get the same amount of great matches however you chop it up. This way is a lot more digestible than the old format to keep up to date with.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Well I don't know what to say about that. First of all, I was hilariously off the mark about my concerns that Naito's gimmick wasn't that over with the native fans. They sold out Sumo Hall and were so into Los Ingobernables the crowd popped big for the title change and were booing Goto in the tag match.
    I'm none too surprised. I mean, look at how peak Bullet Club was perceived and then figure that Ingobernables are not only a more original concept but they're also all Japanese.

I was surprisingly into Chaos vs Los Ingobernables and came away enjoying EVIL, amazing how that happens with a straight match, no funny business. Ishii getting the pin, not Goto should of been a sign at how the night would end.
    I'm still not sold on the faux-Undertaker deal and the laser light show but EVIL really stepped it up in this one. BUSHI was fantastic too. Everyone was good. Enjoyed this tag team match so much more than I had anticipated when it was starting.

The only downside of this match is Ricochet looks like he's got one foot out the door so that's the end of this tag team and we'll get RPG Vice Vs Bucks until the end of time. Sydal's gonna get a strong push in the BOSJ I reckon after kicking out of Trent's finisher.
    Makes sense that Ricochet is in BOSJ given they allowed him such a dominant performance in this match. Even in a loss, I think Ricochet came away as the star and benefits most from this match. As for Sydal kicking out of Trent's move, maybe it's a sign but I also felt like Trent only 'trapping' one of Sydal's legs meant "he didn't get all of it!" as they say.

Kushida/Ospreay - I don't know how to talk about this match without my bias for Ospreay coming out, but he put a lot of wrestlers with decades more of experience to shame with his performance here.
    I dug the match, the selling, and the hands-free-handspring stuff, but also felt this match wasn't as good as it should have been. KUSHIDA looked like an amateur submission specialist out there. Any time they struggled too much, the submission and the applying of it looked really fake. Wouldn't mind another bout between them but would hope the submissions are a little tighter.

Omega comes out believing in his own hype telling the crowd that everyone wasted their money on Wrestlemania and the wrestlers should watch him to learn a thing or two. Learn what?
    Learn not to be worked lol.

but unfortunately it sent Cody Hall to the hospital.
    I like to think they learned a valuable lesson: if you're going to catch somebody, don't put the tallest guy in the middle.

GBH Vs GOD. Painfully average, and Tama Tonga and Tango Orange (w/e the name is) is not the answer to adding excitement to this division. Some dark days are upon us if GOD have these titles all year long, we'll be begging for Anderson and Gallows to come back.
    I have to believe Tama Tonga/Roa are just champions now so they can lose to The Briscoes. Otherwise I am just as confused.

Okada Vs Naito - Have a guess what I didn't like about this match?
    Red Shoes. It was Red Shoes, wasn't it?

It's just so frustrating that they go overboard with the interference because the Sanada interference and reveal is a huge moment, but it would of been so much more effective if it wasn't the 10th case of outside cheating in the match. It just makes the whole competitive aspect of the title and the promotion look bush league when that much interference goes on, and the referee doesn't do anything to stop it - why on earth are EVIL and BUSHI allowed to stay at ringside given their behaviour all year in Naito's matches. Should of sent them to the back after the first case of cheating, let Naito and Okada put on a great match for 20 minutes, and then when Okada looks like he's got it in the bag, Sanada arrives as Naito's insurance to make sure he wins.
    This is how I thought it would have played out, him being the ace up a sleeve once the others are dismissed. Really doesn't make any sense that they are allowed to be out there the whole time.

On the positive side of things, they've pulled the trigger on Naito when there's been many cases of promotions ignoring the chance to strap the rocket on the hot kid with momentum.
    I am quite thrilled with their decision. I have been on the Naito bandwagon since this Ingobernables thing started, having always wanted a reason to like the guy but not enjoying his G1 win or subsequent championship match. I am so, so, so on board with this character and title reign.

Also the G1 has been confirmed to start July 18th and they're going with last year's 19 day formula which has it's pros and cons. I'm personally glad to see them stick with it because I don't really care about getting more filler on shows and the end of the 'show of the year' contenders, you still get the same amount of great matches however you chop it up. This way is a lot more digestible than the old format to keep up to date with.
    Came away from this show with my love for Naito sated and being pretty surprised by the BUSHI/EVIL team. I worry about the inevitable injuries every year but other than that I am really psyched for this year's G1.
    [save]

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Oh I forgot to mention that for the first time I listened to the whole show on English Commentary because Striker wasn't on there Came away pretty impressed with Kelly and Corino calling the action, especially once they stopped mentioning Meltzer and the Wrestling Observer when trying to say how great all the wrestlers were because of 5 star matches. It doesn't hold much comedy value without Yoshi Tatsu, but they had a much better understanding of storylines and promos from following translators on twitter rather than talk to Yoshi to interpret.

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

Watched this last night and enjoyed it. I'm reasonably new to NJPW so much of the history etc is still beyond me, but there were some great matches on the card. RPG Vice vs Sydal and Ricochet was really fantastic. Sucked me into the drama of the match and I was sold on a few of the nearfalls. The Junior Tag Title matches I've seen so far have been very spotfest so it was nice to see a more traditional tag match here. I liked KUSHIDA vs Ospreay, too, and agree that the selling was very well done. I hope that British kid sticks around. I enjoyed the 6-man NEVER Openweight match (even if the name of the title makes literally no sense), it was chaotic nonsense but it was loads of fun. Omega vs Elgin will be good, I think.

Shibata has become my favourite in NJPW quite quickly but I was really underwhelmed by his match here. Tenzan just seemed to slow him down and it's definitely the worst Shibata match I've watched. Tama Tongo is interesting-looking and I like his whole vibe but he bores me in the ring, and his brother is worse. Makabe and Honma have their moments but it's hard work getting to them. I feel similarly about the Heavyweight title match as the Shibata match. Much preferred the Okada bouts at Wrestle Kingdom and New Beginning. I'm not sold on Naito and the endless shenanigans at the end were tiresome.

Good show though, all in all.

Still Kicking It

Status
      Country                    United States

Putting up new champions for Invasion Attack allows for the show to get a fresh start and if the booking makes serious changes six months down the road, I could see Invasion as that cornerstone show for that new era that breaks them out of the rinse-wash-repeat formula that they had since the G1. I'm kind of feeling sorry for Goto getting booed against EVIL. The guy is turning into the Japanese Ziggler who is underachieving and not worth investing in no matter his body of work.

Thread Information