Thread: NJPW Invasion Attack - April 10th 2016

Wordle Playing Admin

Status
      Country                    England

NJPW NJPW Invasion Attack - April 10th 2016

New Japan Pro Wrestling “INVASION ATTACK 2016”, 4/10/2016 [Sun] 16:00 @ Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo

Bad Luck Fale and Yujiro Takahashi Vs Juice Robinson and Taguchi

Sakuraba, Yano and Yoshi-Hashi Vs Liger, Nagata and Kojima

Hirooki Goto and Tomohiro Ishii Vs EVIL and Bushi

IWGP Junior Tag Championship Match:
    Ricochet & Matt Sydal vs. Rocky Romero & Barreta

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship
    KUSHIDA (c) vs. Will Ospreay

NEVER Openweight 6 Man Tag Team Championships
    The Elite (c) Vs Hiroshi Tanahashi, Michael Elgin and Yoshi Tatsu

NEVER Openweight Championship
    Katsuyori Shibata (c) Vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan

IWGP Tag Championship
    Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma (c) vs. “GUERRILLAS OF DESTINY” Tama Tonga & Tanga Roa

IWGP Heavyweight Championship
    Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Tetsuya Naito
    If you were looking forward to Shibata/Kojima (which actually would of been my 2nd most anticipated match for Invasion Attack), it's been moved to a road to... show which oddly isn't even listed as airing on New Japan World.

I'm a big Will Ospreay fan so I'll obviously check out his match here. I think they've shot their load going for a title match too early, I'd have held off the debut until BOSJ and have him win that and challenge Kushida later in the year. Now they've either got to have him lose on his debut, or Kushida gets a third short title rein. Neither are ideal in my mind.

I think Zero and I touched on our feelings on the main event. I think if I went back to those early dates in the 2015 G1 I would of been all in on a big Okada Vs Los Ingobernables Naito match, but they've poisoned that gimmick to the point where it's Bullet Club 2.0 and we know Bushi and EVIL will get involved, Goto too probably. I'm just not looking forward to this one as much as I should be.

Actually I'll be kind, RPG Vice Vs Ricochet and Sydal is probably the most watchable NJPW Jr's tag match I'd watch.
    Last edited by Ed; 03-28-2016 at 11:51 AM.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Japan

Re: NJPW Invasion Attack - April 10th 2016

Yeah, Ospreay/KUSHIDA should be an awesome match and the Jr. Tag should be pretty fun, Sydal/Ricochet are a really fun tag team. The idea of the main event being all about "Who's side is this guy who isn't in the match going to take" is such a dumb trope here, letalone in Japan. I don't understand what people see in Naito either, Ed. I'm sure people will turn on that like Bullet Club sooner or later but I fear these "shoot" promos he's been doing will increase his popularity.

Shibata also a victim of bad booking, why wasn't that Kojima match on here? That was crazy. I hope YOSHI-HASHI gets on the card, but like I said, I still don't think I'll be jumping back in to World just to see Ospreay, will catch up on that match later but even then that's gonna be bittersweet because KUSHIDA gets another terrible title reign. He's mini-Goto at this point.

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I think BUSHI and EVIL's involvement will probably be inconsequential, a set up to Goto helping Okada perhaps? I don't know. But I think Goto will turn on Okada and join Los Inogbernables. Could be wrong though, obviously.

I can see Ospreay winning but honestly, that's bad booking for sure. I think KUSHIDA should either win, BOSJ is Ospreay and then he beats the Kush man. Either that or KUSHIDA loses, wins BOSJ and gets his belt back... which would be crap, obviously.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

Card Updated.

Well I guess we now why Shibata/Kojima isn't on this show, because they want to run Shibata/Tenzan, not sure why that match couldn't wait until Dontaku and we could of had Shibata/Kojima here (which was GREAT btw, posted it in the VIP section)

Yoshi Tatsu's return from injury is the other big news on the card. No more insightful commentating then
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Japan

We'll miss you, Yoshi, the greatest commentator of our generation.

Goto's promos have been pretty interesting, saying it didn't really matter about CHAOS and he just joined to do something different, though saying you didn't do it to become Okada's sidekick rings hollow when you go out and basically do just that. Regardless I saw a GIF of him and I really like his red shorts and I think his new finish is an awesome move, though this storyline is still the pits and I really can't get behind any part of that main event.

Will watch Shibata/Kojima since you posted it, definitely seems like a fun match and on a positive note Shibata vs the veterans is a fun way to keep Shibata busy without actually pushing him in anything relevant. Maybe Nagata can get a big match now.

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Will watch Shibata/Kojima since you posted it, definitely seems like a fun match and on a positive note Shibata vs the veterans is a fun way to keep Shibata busy without actually pushing him in anything relevant. Maybe Nagata can get a big match now.
    I can see Shibata Vs Nagata at Dontaku, he seems to be going through the old lads at the moment which is a refreshing change of pace to the Ishii wars.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    We'll miss you, Yoshi, the greatest commentator of our generation.

Goto's promos have been pretty interesting, saying it didn't really matter about CHAOS and he just joined to do something different, though saying you didn't do it to become Okada's sidekick rings hollow when you go out and basically do just that. Regardless I saw a GIF of him and I really like his red shorts and I think his new finish is an awesome move, though this storyline is still the pits and I really can't get behind any part of that main event.

yes

(joking aside, Goto in CHAOS is something im really meh on tbh. Jon suggested he was a Nak sub but im sensing shenanigans for him to get one over on Okada, thus when Okada loses, he has a feud to go to whilst Naito defends against someone that can give his reign some legitimacy. I'd say big match Tanahashi but hes on a real losing streak lately and idk if people would want to see Tanahashi in the picture so soon. I feel like Elgin is destined to face Omega and will probably get the pinfall on him to win him, the yes man and the Ace the belts. Shibata changing from killing himself against Ishii and instead not-killing himself against the older guys seems like a fair deal to me thus far. Guess it gives him some title defences. Only issue is that I dont think Shibata is going to lose at all, taking away any tension in those matches)
    Last edited by Shake; 03-28-2016 at 05:21 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Sorry for the double post, the site wasn't loading for a second and... TRANQUILO!
    Last edited by The Natural; 03-30-2016 at 12:54 PM.
    [save]

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Watched a few matches from the Road To shows they have uploaded (after I figured out that the first thumbnail was the entire show), dug it for the most part. Tama Tonga is a really weird promo but I like that he isn't letting his momentum falter with the main BC guys leaving. "We are G.O.D." sounds neat and makes for a cool t-shirt. Something about Camacho's facepaint reminds me of Sokka from Avatar The Last Airbender. I figured there would be face paint involved but assumed it would be even more aggressive than Tama's.

I enjoyed Rocky Romero's work in the 4-man opener, he finds a way to get his routine in without being too old. Particularly the repeating shtick; both the mic work and his attempt to start the Infinite Clotheslines. Is that what they're called? Because it should be.

EVIL looks dumb as hell but I do enjoy his wrestling. I can't tell if his gimmick is supposed to be in "so bad it's good" territory or if he's really just a low-rent attempt at an Undertaker-type. Not sure what was wrong with the gear he was sporting in ROH... I would maybe change up the colors a bit for a more serious New Japan return but otherwise he looked decent.

Enjoyed Okada/Goto/YOSHI-HASHI vs Los Ingobernables de Japon quite a bit. Sad that Red Shoes got attacked after considering he was maybe the most productive member of Naito's team for that match. BUSHI green mist on Okada was among the best I've ever seen, it looked like he got legit fucked up by mist. Happened very fast but the aftermath was convincing. Also, two Destinos - is it my birthday? Naito is fire right now and I can't believe what a 180 I've made on him since his G1 win. At the time, I remember feeling that his wrestling was solid but his character and presence just felt too timid, like a forever midcarder reaching for brass rings. This Naito doesn't give a shit and is way more appealing as a result. I am reminded of qualities that I enjoyed from WCW Raven.

Loving Naito's gimmick, Los Ingobernables, and am very much looking forward to Okada/Naito, regardless of inevitable shenanigans. Always interesting to stop by and see all the hate toward interferences. Probably doesn't hurt that the people doing interference stuff are people I already like and would like to see more of, but I get more upset about double downs that feel inorganic than I do about people getting involved who shouldn't be.
    Last edited by The Natural; 03-30-2016 at 12:54 PM.
    [save]

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

I can't deny that Naito is more interesting than he used to be a couple of years ago, but at the same time I'm just seeing the same patterns develop in his matches that annoyed me in Bullet Club's matches and they come of to me like Bullet Club 2.0. It's just overkill to have both stables going at the same time. If the point of Naito's push is to make him one of the main eventers, one of the top draws of the company, then I think he needs to do more than just cheat his way to victories over Okada and Goto.

Attendances so far this year are considerably down, it'll be interesting to see how Naito draws in the main event of Invasion Attack because I have the feeling they won't touch last years number and that'll be a bigger marker on how over this Naito gimmick is with the native fans.