Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2016 CMLL For New, Casual, and Lapsed Fans

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: 2016 CMLL For New, Casual, and Lapsed Fans

Watching this now as my rental expires.

Women's match wasn't a DUD but I'll be honest, I didn't give a shit about this one, nor was I remotely entertained.

Segunda swayed me as it went on. Maximo Sexy is a terrific wrestler despite how odd he looks which makes it even funnier. Unfortunately, his antics are also quite frustrating, did he kiss Mephisto/Ephisto (I mix them up) so hard that the guy passed out on the mat? Eh. That spear from Shocker onto Corleone was great. Also love how much more aggressive Corleone is with his punches versus all of them giving lighter slaps. Overall an enjoyable match that got better once they hit the third fall and sped things up.

Bucanero/Crazy kinda made me doze off

Dorada/Caristico/Atlantis vs. the Rudos was pretty good. Dorada is great, especially for how young he is (in wrestling terms). Casas/Atlantis, despite their age, are really good themselves as well. Fun affair. Negro Casas straight knocking himself out on Atlantis's head on the segunda fall was hilarious.

Guerreros vs. Mistico/Volador/Valiente: Wasnt bad. First time watching Valiente and all three of the tecnicos were pretty fun to watch. Don't care much for the Guerreros though. Volador Jr. in particular is always a treat. Also Hector <3 I also found it a bit off that Sky Team came across like rudos here Whats with the Mistico hate?

Mascara/Lee: Mascara looks like he's working the Andrade Almas gimmick better than Almas is Immediates thought after the primera is that I hope Dragon Lee either goes full rudo or gets frustrated at Rush's interferences to lead to an eventual storyline (I prefer the latter because I'd lose to see them face off, it'd be a perfect feud). Love Dragon Lee's knees. Saw Dragon Lee rush to the ropes when Rush clipped Mascara and was hoping for a second he'd send him packing or argue but he just capitalized and I was a bit sad. At the very least he got pissed off after the DQ and wanted him gone but it makes him look a bit poorer for it that he took advantage first and was only pissed when it didn't work out for him. At the very least the first two falls were quick. Did Rush just try to screw Lee Also fuck these stupid ass fucking refs (except Hector). And fuck CMLL's slow counts. I was not expecting that finish. Some of the shenanigans near the end bothered me quite a bit, I'll admit. And this match did not quite meet my expectations because I just wasn't sure what they were doing with Rush. At one point it looked like maybe Mascara was in cahoots with Rush but that might just have been bad timing? I don't know. Definitely didn't like it near as much as you did Zero.

After seeing the post-match, I'm even more puzzled. Was Rush botching his interfererence for Dragon Lee intentional in the hopes that Mascara would win? If so, they shouldn't have had another false finish with Dragon Lee giving up when the ref was turned, that was just silly and made Dragon Lee look the worse for it.

I'm happy Rush rejected Dragon Lee from Ingobernables and took in La Mascara back but I'm hoping this leads to a Lee/Rush match.

Overall though I think I was ultimately disappointed with the execution of that main event and while I want to see Lee/Rush I think the way they've gone about it was bad. There's still some things about the CMLL style that bother me in general, the endlessly slow replays, the endlessly slow pinfall counts (you explained why but it just kills the tension for me), the old ref in general (just have Hector ref every match ), the predictable first two falls (and if you took off all the segunda/tercera transition phases this show is probably about 30 minutes shorter).

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    United States
    *Edgar

I agree really with your thoughts, Zeuxis' outfit was worth the outfit and her bump in the crowd was great, Sugehit & her are rad, the rest take or leave.

I have the same thoughts on Máximo, the potential for an epic wrestler is clearly there and I loved his babyface promo on Informa where he just got to be normal, I just cannot get into this exotíco crap. That said, seeing how over he & Marco are, agreed.

You forgot to mention Carístico busting out the F-5 in the Trios. Dorada will be missed.

Místico's hated because fans don't like that he's not Carístico, and not as good and is seen as a phony. I liked Euforia as a base on the Rudo team, UG raised the roof as always.

Thought there was great storytelling with Lee using Sombra's move to win the first fall and I really loved the look of dejection on Lee's face when Rush (Rush's promo basically was talking about "his brother" and how great a fight, he was so proud of him, Ingobernable at heart, etc, awesome promo actually) said it was

about La Máscara. They screwed up on many levels if the goal was to elevate Dragon Lee, he looked awful throughout for the reasons you said then having Místico come out at the end.

It wasn't really confusing though to me, clearly Rush & La Máscara were in it together and this is set up for a Rush/Lee showdown next year which would be epic.

I just think things could have been way better with better ways. Tirantes sucks as a ref, I don't care about the slow counts, he just sucks. They went way too far blurring the técnico/rudo lines for Lee and for him to get turned on after it rather than to stand up to Rush was crazy. In the end it felt like Máscara finally got elevated (and stepped up) rather than Lee and to me Rush overshadowed both. I wish it just would have been Rush/Máscara in hindsight. He can't be a second. I hate that they wasted the Alvarados/Muñoz feud too just to rehash Rush/Máscara together.

It should be Rush/Lee next year which will be amazing but this was a questionable start to that.
    C'est Magnifique~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Prince Of Joshi

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

So I was checking my Subs on Youtube and came upon Cubsfan Channel and this the first match I saw and watched. Daga/Taya vs Aja Kong/Suicide. Nice little mixed tag team, Daga and Suicide's chemistry together was amazing in this match.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

CMLL Re: 2016 CMLL For New, Casual, and Lapsed Fans

That's not really a CMLL match but Daga & Suicide were feuding for a longtime and are pretty great. I can't believe Suicide hasn't been brought to LU. He'd be perfect in so many ways.

Since you posted though there's actually a lot of cool stuff going on in CMLL. On Christmas day they're having a show that's free to watch (Christmas is traditionally a big day for Lucha in México though this year there's some kind of Méxican soccer playoffs that's biting them in the ass.) and it's main evented by an all women's Infierno En El Ring. (12 women enter and everyone tries to escape and the last two have a match and the loser loses their hair or mask) They've elevated the women recently over the last few months but there's only a few I would say are actively good enough and one might be losing her mask and out of the company soon and it'll be a really sad day if it happens that way.

Then the week after for the second year in a row the World Heavyweight Champion Máximo gets the big Apuestas match this time facing a legend in Máscara Año dos Mil who has returned and feuded with Máximo saying his kissing is such bullshit and disgracing the Lucha he shed blood sweat and tears for with his gay crap that nobody likes. Their match probably won't be that good but the best part of all of this was how they're elevating the younger members of 2000's family in Sanson, Cuatrero, and Forastero who all rock and have been active in their feud. Hopefully Máximo takes out 2000 and it builds up to one of the younger guys getting revenge and put them over.

CMLL has quietly built up some people well. Valiente, Hechicero, and the Dinamitas and even potentially Puma & Tiger all have potential upward mobility going into 2016 and Dragon Lee won the Aniversario main event so good job there. Would recommend watching semi-recent matches with Hechicero/Rey Bucanero for the Middleweight Title, Valiente/Volador Jr. in the Universal tournament final, & Angel de Oro/Negro Casas who had one of the best lightning matches of the year 2 weeks ago in addition to Angel de Oro/Kamaitachi from ROH because it rocked too.
    C'est Magnifique~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Status

Here's the latest show. They post them on youtube for free

Thread Information