Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official British Wrestling Discussion Thread

For A Better WC

Status
      Country                    England

The Official British Wrestling Discussion Thread

no, not that kind of British Wrestling

Between all the great things going on at Revolution Pro Wrestling, Insane Championship Wrestling and PROGRESS Wrestling as well as other smaller promotions, it's probably time we had a thread just for the British indys, because if you hadn't heard, the UK scene is on the up. I'm sure Baldwin will appreciate a proper thread to gush about ICW as well.

I watched Rev-Pros most recent show at the weekend, High Stakes, and it was really good and main evented by AJ Styles Vs Zack Sabre Jr. for the British Heavyweight Championship which ZSJ won with an amazing submission. My MOTN was another battle between Will Ospreay and Marty Scurll which was technically a #1 contenders match but they added a stipulation that the winner would be the first wrestler in Rev-Pro to have an action figure made after them which was talked up as way more important than a shot at their top title Kind of amazing TNA thought Rockstar Spud was the wrestler worth keeping over Scurll from that first TNA Bootcamp thing, Scurll had a strong 2015 and is starting the year on the right note. The show is available for about 9 quid.

Anyway, this is happening in a few weeks:

And for fans of Timothy Thatcher, he's wrestling Marty Scurll on the same show.
    Last edited by Ed; 01-25-2016 at 02:16 PM.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Re: The British Wrestling Thread

Guys on my radar include: Sabre Jr., Scurll, Ospreay, Mark Andrews, Big Damo, Dave Mastiff, Ligero, Grado, Jimmy Havoc, Joe Hendry's Entrances, Mark Haskins, Noam Dar. Hoping a thread like this will give me a better insight on the ones I don't know yet. Long overdue, thanks for making it Ed. I don't watch nearly enough to properly contribute but I'll try to seek more out.

What's up with Thatcher? Is he American-raised and English-born or what's his deal?

I HAVE STARTED STREAMING MY GAME SESSIONS
    ...COME AND CHECK IT OUT IF YOU'RE BORED,OK?

[Blank Space]

Status
      Country                    UK

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post

What's up with Thatcher? Is he American-raised and English-born or what's his deal?
    He's all American as far as I'm aware, which makes his nickname all the more confusing. I'm sure there's a decent story behind it.

I heart this thread.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

What's Ospreay's gimmick? Is he a part of the Assassin brotherhood or some shit? Some seriously Assassin's Creed influenced gear he has there. Only ever seen ZSJ in a single match and still rate him highly. Any matches I should go out of my way to see?

BROTHER

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~HAVE A NICE DAY~~
    Spoiler:

WAKE UP

Status

I live in London and my flatmate is a PROGRESS regular. I should probably pull my finger out.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status
      Country                    Canada

I'm halfway through Rev Pro's High Stakes. Just finished Scurll/Ospreay and Ed, my god, thank you for mentioning this show. What a match. Also so far, top to bottom, great show. Still got Lethal/Haskins, Bram/Havoc/T-Bone vs. Revolution and Styles/Sabre Jr. left. Might be a blessing I'm watching the second half tomorrow because it'll be impossible to top Scurll/Ospreay.

EDIT: Will get a full review up too.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Oh yas. A thread where I can just gush about ICW is a winner for me. ICW has seriously grown to height a lot of people probably wouldn't have though possible (they're doing The Hydro in November for crying out loud). They've got to a point now where they do not need to use established guys from the US to sell tickets as the roster they have is deep enough and convicning enough to make people want to buy tickets. Some folks you guys need to check out from ICW;

Grado - Don't fall into the illusion that the crap he does in TNA is what he does in ICW; it's not. Grado's evolved so much in ICW and could've been a pretty credible champion if he'd held the title for a little longer.

Chris Renfrew - Leader of the NAK, the new ICW Heavyweight Champion and an all around bastard of a man. Renfrew's title win was a long time coming after he held the Square Go Briefcase twice, failing to beat Drew Galloway last year (incredible match btw) and successfully defeating Grado last weekend in a fantastic hardcore match that I'd recommend checking out.

Joe Hendry - Will he ever win the ICW Championship? I doubt it but, he's one entertaining mother fucker. Hendry's gimmick see's him make parody songs about his opponents, recently treating us to a cover of Boom Boom Boom Boom by the Vengaboys and his own rendition of Teenage Dirtbag. Don't let the comedy fool you though, Hendry can wrestle and has won a lot of awards as an amateur wrestler.

Jack Jester - I couldn't stand this guy when he was essentially the John Cena of ICW but ever since he turned heel with Drew Galloway he's been great. His 'better than you' attitude and his change to his overall appearance has done wonders for his character (Drew's too tbh)

There's a load more. BT Gunn, Wolfgang, Kay Lee Ray, Carmell, Jackie Polo, DCT, the list goes on tbh. They make some mighty fine build-up videos too.

[Blank Space]

Status

Ed mentioned the main 3 in the OP, but here's some of the other UK promotions doing good business right now:

Preston Championship Wrestling
    : Operating out of, you guessed it, Preston, PCW is sorta the PWG of the UK scene. Runs the same building all the time, and the shows usually are a mix of established regular talent and international stars. It's most notable for it's yearly series of shows with Ring Of Honor, & was the site where Lionheart had his neck broken by a Styles Clash. It's also running a joint show with GFW this year, as well as running shows outside of Preston for the first time. They also have their own wrestling academy now, which ran it's first show this past weekend.

Notable talent are Heavyweight Champ Dave Mastiff, Tag Champs Team Single (Rampage Brown & T-Bone) for have held the straps for 2.5 years now, Bubblegum, Noam Dar, El Ligero, Chris Masters, Lionheart, Joey Hayes & Martin Kirby.

4 Front Wrestling: About to celebrate it's tenth anniversary, 4FW operates out of the South West with their big shows taking place in Swindon. Their bigger shows tend to rely on international talent to draw, but their regulars tend to work the smaller shows. Regulars include Doug Williams, Tiger Ali, Saul Adams & Saime Sahin, international stars on their last show included Pentagon Jr., Drago, Kenny Omega, Tatanka & Hikaru Shida

ATTACK Pro Wrestling
    : Notable for working with CHIKARA last year during their UK tour, and subsequently being represented in King Of Trios, ATTACK is very much a CHIKARA like company. Lot's of emphasis on characters & comedy, they also operate out of the South West.

Southside Wrestling: I know they're notable, but I'll be honest and say I don't know enough about them to write much. I know Jimmy Havoc works there a lot, & it's been running for quite a while now (since 2010 according to their website).

Others include Fight Club: PRO, Tetsujin Shoot Style & IPW: UK

Yeah, the UK scene is so healthy now with both WWE main roster & NXT running successful tours, TNA's UK tour is usually their yearly high point & CHIKARA are coming back for a second tour this year. How UK wrestling isn't back on TV yet is baffling, there's clearly a growing market there.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

Revolution Pro Wrestling
    High Stakes
    January 16, 2016

Worth mentioning beforehand, I don't watch much Indy, I think I've watched like one episode of ROH and Best in the World 2015 and that's about it as far as Indys go (aside from the old school ROH I've been reviewing). This is my first non-ROH event and, evidently the first Rev-Pro or even British event I'm watching. I only know most of the names through namedrops around here with but a few that I've seen before. So without further adieu, let's go. Watching this in bits and parts since its three hours.

Flash Morgan Webster vs. Pete Dunne (c) for the Undisputed British Cruiserweight Championship
    Never heard of either guys before. Lol'd at Flash getting the ref to remove his jacket for him. Poor ref gets no sold when he tries to show Pete the title before he hoists it up. Pete is the obvious heel here and Morgan's the more exciting babyface. Anytime things go sour for Pete, he heads out and Morgan tries to use that to his advantage to go flying but Pete knows better and avoids it the first two times until, as the saying goes, third time ends up the charm and Morgan hops over the rope for the senton (or whatever those front flips over the ropes to the outside are called). I've got bad ears and the crowd's a bit loud and the commentators aren't speaking loud enough so its kinda hard to hear what they're saying unfortunately. Unlike the early ROH commentary, seems like they're divulging good info too. The rest of the match builds into Morgan trying to get the 450 splash off now (much like the over the top rope spot). Pete often knows how to avoid and/or counter all of Morgan's high risk moves and Morgan often has to find other, more innovative ways to pull them off. Near the end it quickly goes into your move/my move territory - and while I'm a bit critical of it since this is just the first match of the night, I'm also not sure how big these guys are in terms of pop in relation to the rest of the card, for all I know, they're main event quality. In any case, in that high pace stretch of moves, there's a lot of awesome spots. Bit disappointed that the huge build-up to the 450 splash doesn't get Morgan the win but at least they've got the excuse that it's because he hit it on Dunne's back. So to rectify that, he tries to hit it on Dunne's front (though a bit silly for a technical guy like Dunne to roll onto his back when that makes him more vulnerable to Morgan's finisher and he not a minute ago did the smart thing of getting on his fours to lessen the damage, I guess I'm nitpicking here). Pete Dunne avoids it (maybe that's justification for rolling on his back, so he could see it coming?), gets Webster up and wins this with Drop Dead (I believe it's called). I'm partial to him, reminds me a lot of William Regal, and how Doug Williams was anti-X-Division in TNA for a while. ***

Big Damo vs. Speedball Mike Bailey
    I've heard good things about Mike Bailey so I've got some expectations here. Never heard of Big Damo, looks like a less intimidating Mike Knox. It's Mike Bailey's debut here and Damo got a bit hype so I'm going to presume this will be an underdog match or Damo will just crush him. Man the referee looks so lanky and awkward, it's hilarious. Oh, hey Mike Bailey is from Canada and my city no less, well, you've just got a new fan dear Mike Bailey. Okay, Mike got me hooked to him in like a minute. He bows anytime Damo overpowers him, and Damo's predictably got no respect for Bailey's frequent bowing, the moment he shoves him in one of those bows, Bailey goes off and kicks him for like a whole moment until the big man's down - then he keeps going. Still, for every flurry of moves Bailey's got, Damo just needs one to take Bailey down. It goes without saying that the underdog never stops fighting, and his variety of kicks are pretty fun, particularly when he fakes two spin kicks to cause Damo to flinch before hitting a final one. Damo does sell quite a bit for Bailey though and actually, Bailey gets a lot more offense in than Damo's does. Damo's comes in very tiny bits but it works. Bailey is fun in control with his kick based moveset (even though his kicks don't look nearly as dangerous as guys like Low Ki or Daniel Bryan) and Damo's short spurts of offense aren't the standard big man type. He gets off the ground a lot. Not a fan of the Ultra Plantation (is that what Damo's finisher is called?) but Big Damo wins this one after trying twice to get it, as in the previous match, third time's the charm. Enjoyed the match, both left an impression on me and I wanna see Damo's matches with Ishii/Joe/Nak now. I think Mike could be a lot smoother in the ring (he seems a bit awkward going around) but still a fun match, and both came across great. Bailey for being super resilient but just as well, Damo for taking all of Bailey's offense but still being a tough hoss and coming back. ***1/4 After the match, Damo looks like he'll go for the post-match attack but he actually shakes Bailey's hand and both guys bow to each other. Damo's a big softie at heart <3 his might be a face turn for Damo I think.

Colt Cabana vs. Doug Williams
    Obviously I know Colt Cabana, but believe it or not, I've never actually watched any of his matches. Watched many of his promos though and I know he's a comedian in the ring. Didn't know he wrestled much these days but welcome surprise. I may have watched one or two matches from Doug Williams (hence the comparison to Pete Dunn in the X-Division) and well aware of whom he is from his TNA days (I'll be watching him in ROH soon too). It's clearly a match between two beloved wrestlers. Doug gets Cabana in the corner early and checks him for weapons. Just the first of some many comedy bits. The bits are pretty clever actually, and less of the sort of Yano sort where it's just the same nonsense each time. This is actually pretty 'clever' funny. Still, I couldn't help but want Doug Williams to just snap and go on an onslaught especially since the crowd was only chanting for Colt Cabana. Oh, Cabana uses the GTS now? How long has that been? Since Punk retired or was that always one of his finishers? The pinfall here is pretty clever. *** It was mostly a comedy match with both guys trying to outclever each other and it was fresh enough that I couldn't help but appreciate it. Colt Cabana thanks the crowd and talks his High Stakes history (which the wonderful commentary summed up earlier) and makes a statement of intent to go for the Rev-Pro Heavyweight Championship. A guy in a Matt Classic map pops up to attack Colt Cabana. He says anyone can wear the mask, and says Cabana did and criticizes his re-instatement. He took off his mask. He's ugly. Lord Gideon Grey is his name and he deserves justice he says. Cabana is shocked. He holds the Matt Classic mask and holds it to his heart.

Marty Scurll vs. Will Ospreay for an action figure and a shot at the Undisputed British Heavyweight Championship

I've heard both of these guys name dropped in positive fashion and Ed said this is the MOTN, I've got big expectations. *goes to watch match - comes back 30 mins later* Holy fuck. That was absolutely fucking amazing. I was already sold on Rev Pro before but this is my MOTYC so far over Nak/Styles, Tanahashi/Okada, Ambrose/Owens. This was so fucking awesome. Both of these guys played their roles to perfection. The commentary was absolutely brilliant for this one (as it's been all show). And it was so much more innovative than what I'm used to seeing. I'm writing a lot less for this match but that's more because I was too hooked to even write down my thoughts at any point. ****3/4 Watch it, please. Only thing stopping it from being perfect is they got a bit OTT with the superkick spree to Ospreay and that Ospreay has a bit too much energy near the end for a guy who's been through so many chickenwings and ends up nearly passing out. Essentially the 1/4 is loss because there should've been just a bit more selling from Ospreay near the end but it's nothing as atrocious as Okada's at WK10. And you can sort of forgive it when the commentary built up the fact that Ospreay, in his fifth year, has garnered what it takes to go the full length of a top billing match. Still, despite that minor criticism, fucking awesome match. Both of these guys have one me over. Will Ospreay is my hero. As Ed mentioned, commentary really built up the action figure being more valued than the title shot here. The two guys stare at each other after a standing ovation. Scurll shushes the crowd and offers a handshake. Ospreay thinks about it then shakes it. A showing of respect. Not sure how necessary that was but they did put on a show and they probably have immense respect having fought so much.

Jay Lethal vs. Mark Haskins

There was no way this was ever going to live up to Scurll/Ospreay and I think both I and the crowd sort of died down after what preceded it. The fact that we’re all well aware that there’s no way Haskins is winning here also lessens it. He still gets a lot of offense and his transition into whatever dirty submission move he’s pulling out looks great. To be quite honest with you, there’s no one on the roster I’m any disappointed with so far, they’ve all got their worth. I was also happy to see no Truth Martini merely because it meant Lethal had a chance to look strong in victory - boy was I kidding myself. He needs a ref bump and low blow before he can hit the contrived Lethal Injection to pin Haskins. The ROH World Champion doesn’t feel like a World Champion. I’ve also become lukewarm with Lethal. He’s simply not a very exciting wrestler and his matches aren’t ever more than average or slightly above that. Of the 5-6 matches I’ve watched of his, only the one with Kyle O’Reilly was anything worth seeing. **¾

Revolutionists (James Castle, Josh Bodom & Sha Samuels) vs. Lost Souls (Bram, Jimmy Havoc & T-Bone) in a No Disqualification Match
    First off, the York Hall doesn’t really seem to lend itself well to a No Disqualification match. The narrow ringside and narrow ramp don’t really make it easier to come up with some nice spots. Otherwise, this is a fairly straight brawl, nothing fancy here. I don’t usually watch real hardcore matches (you’d never see me say check out CZW), and the cheese grater has me cringing. Watching so much contemporary WWE has made it so that shots to the head like that are a bit cringe-worthy too but not to the point that it takes away from the match. It’s obviously a hate-filled feud but I couldn’t really invest having not really been into the build-up. Bram is the guest partner for the Lost Souls. Havoc and T-Bone look real great. No one from The Revolutionists stood out (aside from maybe Samuels brightly colored atire). Lost Souls win this one when Bodom ends up alone in the ring with the Lost Souls and gets taken out by Jimmy’s Rainmaker. Wonder how long he’s had that finisher for. **½ Inoffensive yet forgettable brawl.

A.J. Styles © vs. Zach Sabre Jr. for the Undisputed British Heavyweight Championship
    A.J. Styles is arguably the best wrestler in the world today, ‘nuff said. Zach Sabre Jr. on the other hand, I’ve heard so many great things about and this’ll be my first time to see him. I already know the result beforehand seeing as Styles is on his way to the WWE and needs to give up the title. My expectations aren’t too high either with the Ospreay/Scurll match being called the MOTN by others. Loved the New Day-style chant. RPW crowd in general is actually pretty good. This match definitely had the atmosphere of two of the world’s greatest going head to head. It doesn’t quite reach the lofty heights you’d expect from pitting both these names against each other but it’s still a really good match and easily the second MOTN. Sabre Jr. fits the bill as a technical wizard and that final submission maneuver that gets A.J. Styles to tap out looks painful as fuck and works just about every limb bar a leg. ***¾ It’s sad we probably won’t see another Sabre Jr. vs. Styles match any time soon if ever again. But I’m glad I got to see it happen. Still, I look forward to even better from the ‘Technical Wizard.’ His match against Ospreay and Scurll should both be respectively great. Oh and stick around for the A.J. Styles post-match departure. As with the NJPW one, it's great and touching and a testament to his love for wrestling and the world's love for him.

Overall, it’s a pretty great show top to bottom. Admittedly, after the Scurll/Ospreay match, the show slows down with a forgettable ROH World Championship and 3v3 match but Styles and Sabre Jr., while not as good as the MOTN, is still a pretty good one and the crowd, commentary and the two in the ring both make it a worthwhile watch. Scurll/Ospreay easily sold me on coming back for more shows. If I had watched these skinny brits being world class wrestlers when I was younger, I’d probably have been more inclined to become one myself

Going to try and watch Square Go! by ICW as my next British show.
    Last edited by Evil Jon; 01-27-2016 at 11:58 AM.

For A Better WC

Status

Glad you liked the show Jon, I'd agree with Ospreay/Scurll making the dream match main event feel a little underwhelming, but I could also totally see some fans preferring it to Ospreay/Scurll when it started to get a little 'Reseda' in it's selling. Roddy Strong and Big Mike Elgin have been announced for a Rev-Pro show in April.

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave
    How UK wrestling isn't back on TV yet is baffling, there's clearly a growing market there.
    Yeah I'm not sure myself why at least one channel won't take a punt one of the major promotions when it's a market that's getting stronger by the year. I'd love to know how well the 2 ICW documentaries did in the ratings, in fact BBC recently put a Finn Balor documentary up on iplayer as well so the beeb are starting to enter into that territory. I wouldn't be surprised to see another ICW documentary with them going to The Hydro at the end of the year. It's not the be all and end all of course because they've all got their fingers on the pulse with the digital VOD options to watch the product.

fan cam of Styles Vs Mysterio from 5 star wrestling earlier this month:

For A Better WC

Status

The Simpsons mark in me is loving the name of some upcoming ICW events:

For A Better WC

Status

More Joe Hendry goodness.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

That's too wonderful.

Man Anderson is a lot older than I thought. Already 40 y/o.

For A Better WC

Status

I just watched a damn good match between Sami Callihan and England's Mark Haskins from Southside Wrestling and I'm shaking my head again about how little NXT did with Sami. I haven't seen much of his AAW or PWG work yet, but Sami already looks like he's back to being one of the standout wrestlers of the indy circuit.

[Blank Space]

Status

Cool little ZSJ doc about his wXw 16 carat gold tourney weekend.

For A Better WC

Status

Nice doc. Night 1 against Big Daddy Walter was good, but if that's who his opponents are the rest of the tournament, I can't wait for Night's 2 and 3.

Rev-Pro are stepping it up. They've started a monthly on demand service where you can have access to all their old shows for about 6 quid, their weekly youtube show is now going exclusive to this OD service so they've finally joined the other big two in the UK with more than reasonable rates for their shows, here's the link

https://rpwondemand.pivotshare.com/

Oh and they just announced this, which I'd be more hyped for if Angle was 10 years younger.

They're booking Speedball Bailey as well which is cool.

[Blank Space]

Status

Holy fuck

I don't even care if Angle is over the hill, that's still cool as hell.

Pain does not lie

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Dream match with Sabre and Angle for him. I really liked Sabre's work when I first saw him in PWG, I don't care how I do it, I will need to see that match.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

For A Better WC

Status

Progress Wrestling just announced that at their next Chapter show in April, they are hosting the UK Qualifers for the NXT Cruiserweight tournament. Fantastic new for them.

[Blank Space]

Status

Also from Progress, they're introducing a division especially for Cyrus.

The Atlas Championship, a title where the minimum weight limit is 205 pounds.

Thread Information